PDA

View Full Version : Kinect: Possible Wii Slayer?

Catapharact
21-06-10, 18:26
Given the hubub (including an outworldly Cirque du Soleil performance) behind Microsoft's new venture, it shouldn't be a surprise that the Kinect is one of the (if not THE) main focus point of future game developments. Since Microsoft has always been a master at Marketing and pitching its games well to a target audience, do you think its only a matter of time before Kinect ends up taking away Nintendo's "Casual Gamer" demographic?

I personally think Microsoft has a chance... GIVEN that they focus on producing Kinect focused games rather then adopting existing titles for it. Nintendo has been doing that and has been failing miserably at it. Nintendo Wii games that were developed to work perfectly with the Wiimote system from the get-go faired way better then those that weren't (Force Unleashed comes to mind.)

That's not saying that Nintendo will be driven out of business. Far from it. It has its loyal customer base and it will continue to have it with Nintendo exclusive titles like Mario and Metroid. They might however end up losing a huge chunk of their target casual gamer market.

Thoughts?

Lara Fan 4Life
21-06-10, 18:33
I see Kinect being hugely successful, but I don't see it stopping people buying Wii's or losing it's casual market! Games such as Wii Sport, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus, etc ... From Nintendo continue to sell and remain in the top ten worldwide charts to this day, they have amazing selling power and that doesn't seem to stop with new people being introduced to the Wii each day, then going out to buy them type of games! Nintendo also have two titles, Wii Party and that Mario Sports game which they showed of at E3, which will be aimed at that casual market and they'll continue to have the legs them past Nintendo games have recieved! Wii games have some selling power, it's pretty crazy and I don't see Kinectic taking away the already huge and continuing to expand casual market the Wii has at the moment, and with Nintendo bringing out new games to please them type of games, Kinect won't stop them! :)

Love2Raid
21-06-10, 18:45
I donīt think so. Maybe some potential Wii buyers would go with the Kinect instead, but the Wii still has itīs place in the gaming world. I donīt see it going anywhere anytime soon (not if Nintendo keeps expanding their list of games and upgrade their console).

A few reasons why:

The Wii is cheaper.
The XBOX360 has this īhardcoreī console image that could intimidate casual gamers (Iīm not kidding).
The Wii has Nintendo exclusives, like Mario etc.
The Wii gives gamers something to hold in their hands, like a golf club. People could like that more than not holding anything at all.

Lara's home
21-06-10, 19:17
Not a chance. Kinect will probably be too expensive to be a hit like the Wii.
The wii is also appealing to everyone. While it's focus has obviously been the casual market (Though they are Targetting the hardcore now that Sony and MS is competing for the Casual, according to E3 at least), while Kinect solely focuses on the hardcore titles. You can therefore exclude a lot of the "hardcore" Xbox gamers.

lara c. fan
21-06-10, 19:18
Not a chance. Kinect will probably be too expensive to be a hit like the Wii.

You're paying a bit less than buying a Wii. Tough sell for M$, I think.

x2crazyidiot
21-06-10, 19:24
Never liked motion capture games at all, but I do think Kinect will open up alot more sales for Microsoft by casual gamers

Trigger_happy
21-06-10, 19:30
I don't think it'll do well. Ms are trying to make it appeal to hardcore gamers, but none of the games are appealing. And it is too X-box-y to appeal to casual people. The Wii will still have its niche.

Then again, I hate the idea of waving around wildly to walk forward. Only the PS Move interests me vaguely, and then only because it has proper buttons and some real games that aren't just mini games.

Catracoth
21-06-10, 19:47
Microsoft's Kinect is something innovative (in a minor sense, considering the Wii had claimed this territory years ago) but I do not believe there will be significant competition between the two. Why? Prices.

The Kinect will allegedly go for about $150. A refurbished Xbox 360 goes for around $140 while a new 360 Arcade console is $150 and the new 250GB 360 is a whopping $300. Depending on your taste, you'll end up spending either $450, $300, or $290 total if you're buying an Xbox 360 console with the Kinect. If you've already got one, add $150 to how much you paid for your console.

Today, a Nintendo Wii costs $200 while you can get a refurbished one for $50 less. Either way, you're spending more for the Kinect then you are for the Nintendo Wii.

I'm yet to understand what Microsoft's endgame is with Kinect. I mean, are they trying to cater to a more casual audience or lure loyal Nintendo customers to Microsoft's side of the war?

Come hell or high water, I do not believe the Kinect will do well. Studies show that there are less casual gamers who use the 360 anyway.

Lara's Nemesis
21-06-10, 20:08
I'm pretty sure they are trying to get a part of that huge market that Nintendo have, Sony are doing the same with their new thing. Personally I think it could prove to be a costly mistake by both companies.

Lara's home
21-06-10, 20:11
I'm pretty sure they are trying to get a part of that huge market that Nintendo have, Sony are doing the same with their new thing. Personally I think it could prove to be a costly mistake by both companies.

Indeed. Not to mention thatdevelopers dare to experiment with the Wii because it's cheap to develop for it. Can't say the same about the 360 or PS3.

tranniversary119
21-06-10, 20:12
No, definitely not. It's just now that Playstation is releasing the move as well Microsoft's release of Kinect, the Wii isn't that special anymore. The only thing going for it is the cheaper price.

Alpharaider47
21-06-10, 20:16
Nintendo's got a niche that I don't think is going to change anytime soon. Microsoft may attract more casual people, but I don't think they'll "kill" the Wii because of the reputation Nintendo has a family friendly company.

Catracoth
21-06-10, 20:33
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Sony developed body sensory movement gameplay first. EyeToy/Playstation Eye anyone?

Carbonek_0051
21-06-10, 20:36
I don't think it'll do well. Ms are trying to make it appeal to hardcore gamers, but none of the games are appealing.
Where have they said that? To me it seems like they are trying to appeal to tech nerds and casual gamers.

Love2Raid
21-06-10, 20:42
Everyone seems to be forgetting that Sony developed body sensory movement gameplay first. EyeToy/Playstation Eye anyone?
I donīt think anyone has forgotten about that. Nobody mentioned it because the topic isnīt about who were the īfoundersī of this technology, itīs about the Wiiīs place in the current and future gaming market.

Catracoth
21-06-10, 20:51
I was addressing the theme of who's playing field motion gaming is.

da tomb raider!
21-06-10, 20:51
I don't think that Kinect will have a large impact on the Wii, or the gaming industry in general. The Wii, and motion-sensitive controls, have a much different audience than the 360. I can't see the majority of 360 users going out and buying Kinect, because I simply don't think that most of them are going to be interested it in. Otherwise they probably would've bought the lower-priced Wii and started picking out games from its huge library already.

Look at the PS2's EyeToy. Pretty revolutionary stuff at the time, and pretty fun, but it didn't really make much of a splash. Of course, Kinect is probably more advanced than EyeToy, and will probably have higher and more varied support, but the principle is the same - the majority of people with traditional consoles with traditional control schemes just aren't interested. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Love2Raid
21-06-10, 22:29
I was addressing the theme of who's playing field motion gaming is.
Oh okay, I see it now. :)

Catracoth
21-06-10, 22:31
Oh okay, I see it now. :)

Sorry for the confusion - I understand that my post might've seemed irrelevant had I not explained myself :o. I thought I read a post a page back saying that Nintendo first did motion gaming.

Love2Raid
21-06-10, 22:35
I didnīt read every post, one of my bad forum habits. :p

Catracoth
21-06-10, 22:36
I'm right there with you - I just skim :p.

silver_wolf
22-06-10, 03:12
Kinect will fail, Microsoft's press conference made that much clear. If anything will defeat the Wii, it's the PS Move. It beats the Wii at its own game.

Carbonek_0051
22-06-10, 03:14
Kinect will fail...

I wish I could see into the future. :(

MangelinaJolie
22-06-10, 03:16

You left out the part where Microsoft's press conference did that for us. :p

silver_wolf
22-06-10, 03:16
I know. Many mortals are envious of my god-like powers. It can be a curse at times, but the burden is mine to bear.

Carbonek_0051
22-06-10, 03:19
You left out the part where Microsoft's press conference did that for us. :p
Nah, the only part of the conference I was truely bored was when they showed ESPN. xD

I don't think Kinect will fail, it comes out around the holidays. So it might either sell really well, or sell decently. I am going to go with decently. :p
I know. Many mortals are envious of my god-like powers. It can be a curse at times, but the burden is mine to bear.
I now worship the ground you work on <3

WSOwen02
22-06-10, 03:27
In my opinion, MS and Sony do not understand the Wii's market. They think "casuals" want motion control video games. I would argue that the Wii is not really a video game console at all, not to casual people anyway. Casuals see it as a toy, a party game to be brought out after everyone has had a few drinks.

Alpharaider47
22-06-10, 05:02
In my opinion, MS and Sony do not understand the Wii's market. They think "casuals" want motion control video games. I would argue that the Wii is not really a video game console at all, not to casual people anyway. Casuals see it as a toy, a party game to be brought out after everyone has had a few drinks.

This makes a lot of sense, and I think it's something that Nintendo really understands and is good at pursuing. But at the same time they've got enough out there to keep other gamers interested. They've also got their reputation...

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 05:15
Aslong as Nintendo own Zelda and Mario I don't see their products shattering anytime soon. If anything it's likely the Kinect is going to be viewed as a Wii but on a higher budget. More likely it will convice more people to think if we have the Wii is there any need for this too?

I own a 360 and last week switched to the Wii and found it much funner plus the games are reletively cheaper and longer lasting than most of my 360's :)

MyRaider4Life
22-06-10, 05:23
I think the Kinect will become the Wii Slayer. One of my friends has already told me that he is going to trade in his Wii just to get a 360 for the Kinect; smart idea I say. :p

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 05:30
You see I look at the Kinect and I think requires you to stand up which you can't be doing for hours on end like the Wii, requires a form of excersize whilst playing which lazy, unfit slobs won't be into. Also, it kinda reminds me of something you or your kids play for a day and then stuff into cupboard and never look at it again. I dunno maybe the Wii just appeals more to me! :vlol:

tidusffxwakka
22-06-10, 08:12
I own a 360 and last week switched to the Wii and found it much funner plus the games are reletively cheaper and longer lasting than most of my 360's :)

me too i enjoy the wii more than my 360. but it depends on the mood, i love mario galaxy 2,zelda etc and the wii mote allows me to be the sword not press a etc, only problem for me is if i want an rpg i need the 360, if only the wii would get more rpg love :(

illuminati30
22-06-10, 11:00
Does Sony's Move not get a look in? What is clear is that the future of gaming will involve being more active, and that motion control is already available on the Wii console. Nintendo have indeed appealed to a new demograph, and yes eventually other publishers will jump on this bandwagon and steal it out from under them.

However, you have to consider where we are at the moment with casual gamers, and the name Nintendo has created for themselves. Almost everyone knows what a Wii is, and a lot of people have one. I don't know how much Kinect is going to cost, but you it will be a factor to take into consideration.

The big question is, what's next? i.e. Will Nintendo do something else everyone wants a bit of? Will Kinect be as good as they promise, and will it be interactive? Nintendo set a ball in rolling, which is a good thing.

dizzydoil
22-06-10, 11:05
I keep seeing: "Kim Possible: Wii Slayer." as the thread title, as if it's a new game or sth. :p

Lara Fan 4Life
22-06-10, 11:07
^ :vlol: OMG, now I see it as that! :p

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 11:09
Well I guess it is good that Nintendo will never have a rivalry like PlayStation VS Xbox. But the Wii is getting games like Skyward Sword so I guess some Nintendo fanbases will still buy their brands :D

MyRaider4Life
22-06-10, 11:14
I keep seeing: "Kim Possible: Wii Slayer." as the thread title, as if it's a new game or sth. :p

Seriously, I thought I was the only one...

illuminati30
22-06-10, 12:27
I have just watched the stage demo of Kinect. It is certainly an impressive piece of hardward. However, voice recognition always worries me, as often it is not good, so I hope they have got it right. Also, we are not quite seeing the level of interaction we saw last year with Milo in terms of voice interaction. Maybe this kind of voice interaction is still a long way off.
It is clear how this technology can be used with family and fun games, Wii sports style, fitness games, dancing etc. However, we have yet to see a demo of this technology used in main stream game play. Are Microsoft going to implement this fully (like the Wii remote) or with selected titles only? How is this going to work with main stream games? As far as Microsoft is concerned, games like Gears of War and Halo, or Fable. The car racing demo was good, but then how to speed up and slow down the car? How can this be implemented in main stream driving games?

The answer I believe lies in a combination of both. Having a controller, and not having a controller. A combination of Kinetic and Wii Motion plus, or a combination of Kinetic and Sony Move, style controlling is the way forward. Unless the option lies with having controller options selectable on screen by pointing at them.

I hope Microsoft have refined this hardware, and that it will work well at launch without glitches. Some of the characters do not appear to move with the accuracy they are trying to portray, and I hope this can be ironed out, however, it is still pretty darn good.

igonge
22-06-10, 13:02

I see it! lol

Catracoth
22-06-10, 13:54

Thank goodness I'm not the only one.

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 14:12
I can't use Speech recognition because of my accent... :vlol:

illuminati30
22-06-10, 14:18
I can't use Speech recognition because of my accent... :vlol:

I didn't catch that.

Tonyrobinson
22-06-10, 14:20
I didn't catch that.

I'm elaborating the fact that I already know the console will not understand a N.Irish accent because nobody does :o

illuminati30
22-06-10, 15:26
I'm elaborating the fact that I already know the console will not understand a N.Irish accent because nobody does :o

I didn't get that either, can you speak more slowly :D

Catapharact
22-06-10, 16:19
Ok so I got a chance to get a quick once over the whole thread and a few points did stick for me so I do want to reply to them.

Its true that the iToy that Sony released didn't exactly fair well in the gaming market but consider the fact that the iToy didn't even get a proper marketing pitch nor IMO was it taken as a serious gaming interactive tool by Sony (which IMO was a mistake.) Because of lack of development and maketing behind the iToy, people were quick to label it a gimick. Now that Nintendo has kinda cemented the gimicky party fun niche in the gaming world, it shouldn't be a surprise that techies and casual gamers would want to fiddle around with the next best thing :p. Also keep in mind that Microsoft is without a doubt an aggressive Marketer for its products and they will not be making the same mistakes that Sony made with the iToy.

Its true that the games for Kinect thus far have been geared somewhat around the Nintendo Wii-Fit/Gimicky view but they are just the first of many prototypes. My wife for instance takes and teaches dance classes in her spare time and she was absolutely thrilled with the Kinect technology and is hoping that the new Michael Jackson game that Ubisoft might be releasing in the future features the Kinect interface.

I should have added Move to the main post as well and its no doubt that the Move will have an impact on the market as well. I was just curious about how these new endevours by Micrsoft and Sony will end up effecting Nintendo's grip on the casual demo?

illuminati30
22-06-10, 16:58
Its true that the games for Kinect thus far have been geared somewhat around the Nintendo Wii-Fit/Gimicky view but they are just the first of many prototypes. My wife for instance takes and teaches dance classes in her spare time and she was absolutely thrilled with the Kinect technology and is hoping that the new Michael Jackson game that Ubisoft might be releasing in the future features the Kinect interface.

As someone who is a fan of choreographed dancing, I liked this also.

I should have added Move to the main post as well and its no doubt that the Move will have an impact on the market as well. I was just curious about how these new endevours by Micrsoft and Sony will end up effecting Nintendo's grip on the casual demo?

This is a market that in the long run, Nintendo can not contain. They opened the door on it, and other developers are free to make similar products, and jump on the cash band wagon. However, it might not be an immediate steal. Motion control can now be built upon, and I think Microsoft (from what has been shown so far) have managed to do that better than Sony, as Sony Move, does not appear to add anything substantial to motion ability over Wii Motion Plus.

Motion control appears to be the way forward, the question is, what next?

interstellardave
23-06-10, 01:15
$149.00 is not the right price point for this, IMO. $99.99 is the right price-point... hopefully that's what it will be on sale for during the Christmas rush. Put it on display at Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc., with Kinectimals running and watch kids fall in love... and parents buy...

WSOwen02
23-06-10, 02:45
$149.00 is not the right price point for this, IMO. $99.99 is the right price-point... hopefully that's what it will be on sale for during the Christmas rush. Put it on display at Best Buy, Target, WalMart, etc., with Kinectimals running and watch kids fall in love... and parents buy...

. . . and regret in January . . .

silver_wolf
23-06-10, 04:14
Oh, God, Kinectimals... if anything foretold the death of Microsoft...

Carbonek_0051
23-06-10, 04:21
Kinectimals is the first game I am buying for it, and Kinect Adventures. :D

silver_wolf
23-06-10, 04:24
. . .
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u307/cjvelg/Lol_by_LircheuSama.jpg

interstellardave
23-06-10, 15:03
. . . and regret in January . . .

Doubtful... I don't think parents regret buying Wiis for their kids either. It's the more, dare-I-say-it-'cause-I-hate-the-term, "hardcore" folks who still bought the Wii who usually regret it.

jfjeep26
23-07-10, 09:12
I don't regret the wii I regret some of the bad ports and games for wii
ie TRU