oTKHng_xOxs

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/BlooKuKazoo/2006.png

IylrXVSa-Rg

Side Titles

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/BlooKuKazoo/2003.png

iDt6YY0fGTA

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/BlooKuKazoo/2004.png

cL7pU_Nzm1U

Anyone else a fan? I will actually be surprised if no one has either played or heard of these games. I actually haven't played the second or third game, only the first and a demo of the fourth. I bought the first 3 games today and playing the original brought back memories of back around the time I first got my PS2. :D I look foward to playing the others. I really hope there will be a current gen one someday, I'm actually surprised there isn't. :o

Gladous
28-06-10, 03:04
OMG! I loved the Onimusha 2! I never actually got to finish it though. :o

*laralover*
28-06-10, 08:39
I love this series :jmp:

Megalith
28-06-10, 12:04
It's one of my favourite series!

Btw i was hoping for some news about Onimusha 5 at E3 but unfortunately there was nothing.:/
Here's hoping for some news at TGS.:)

Dennis's Mom
28-06-10, 13:14
Never heard of it. :D

Carbonek_0051
28-06-10, 20:53
Btw i was hoping for some news about Onimusha 5 at E3 but unfortunately there was nothing.:/
Here's hoping for some news at TGS.:)
Yeah, I am really interested in the new game even though I haven't played 2-4 yet. Is there any news on there being a next title at all?
Never heard of it. :D
I figured you love it. :D

Also to those who have played it, is Dawn of Dreams any good? I heard it got some mixed reactions.

Yuna´s Wish
28-06-10, 20:57
Dawn of Dreams is excellent. I've played 2, 3 and 4. 2 is, undoubtedly, the best, but 4 comes quite close :tmb: I like its RPG features, plus the bosses are magnificent.

Carbonek_0051
28-06-10, 21:03
Awesome thanks, I'll have to look around for Dawn of Dreams then. I tried getting it when I got the other 3 but Gamestop accidently put the case out on the shelf even though they didn't have a copy. xD

I look foward to playing 2 now, I am close to beating 1 so I'll move on to that quickly. :D

Dingaling
28-06-10, 23:53
I highly enjoyed Dawn of Dreams though it froze on me quite a lot. However, swapping the discs while it was frozen allowed the game to run again until it froze... again. Lets just say, I swapped those discs a lot :p.

As for the series, I absolutely love it. I've played through them countless times over the years. It's been a while since I've played any of them though, I'll have to bring them out again sometime soon :D.

Carbonek_0051
28-06-10, 23:55
I'm stuck fighting Marcellus in the first game. >_<

BoyTRaider
29-06-10, 00:24
I've always heard good things about this series.

I have to give it a try sometime. :)

Dennis's Mom
29-06-10, 14:04
Also to those who have played it, is Dawn of Dreams any good? I heard it got some mixed reactions.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I despise DoD and never finished playing it. It's like they totally forgot Onimusha's survival horror roots (When Warlords was released it was called "Resident Evil in feudal Japan) and added cutesy anime characters.

Has anyone else played Genma Onimusha? It's the Xbox version of Warlords, but it's far more than a straight port. There's LOADS of new gameplay and enemies and even the puzzles have been reworked.

Carbonek_0051
29-06-10, 14:10
Yeah, I heard that's where a lot of the criticism came from. It's cheap now, so I'll probably just buy it to give it a try and if it sucks it'll just be part of my collection.

I actually have tried Genma, but never got far. I played it back when I had no Xbox and was at my cousin's. I really want to get ahold of a copy but it's pretty hard to find as they don't sell Xbox games at many of the game stores here. I'll probably need to have a good look around online.

On another note, I beat the first game last night. It was a lot shorter than I remembered, but still good fun and a brilliant game. I started the second game shortly after, I haven't got very far as I've only beaten the first part and got to the villiage and I turned it off. I've noticed you collect a lot more things in the second one than the first. I'll pick it up again in a bit, I can't wait to get to the third game because Samanosuke is in it. :p

Big Lara Fan
29-06-10, 20:07
Dawn of Dreams (imo) was excellent! It took me forever to beat that game. The variety of characters in it was just brilliant, and it never got boring. You always had a different perspective on everything, depending on who you played as.

DoD was the only Onimusha game I've played, but I loved it. :tmb:

Dennis's Mom
29-06-10, 22:02
I actually have tried Genma, but never got far. I played it back when I had no Xbox and was at my cousin's. I really want to get ahold of a copy but it's pretty hard to find as they don't sell Xbox games at many of the game stores here. I'll probably need to have a good look around online.

I recommend picking it up. It's actually harder than Warlords. I think they raised the "normal" difficulty. But the extra enemies, particularly Ayame, add lots of fear to the game!

BtoFu
30-06-10, 04:15
Samurai's Destiny is still surely in my all time top ten. Excellent replay value and the most interesting characters in the series for my money...I mean they're painted fairly broad and all but by Capcom standards they're layered. Loved the final boss fight in Oni 3 but the rest of it with the whole Leon meets Jin kinda thing...pretty goofy. Fun series and I wish they'd get a new one going. Blade Warriors is a bit of a cheapo cash-in though and not on the same level as any of the main titles so I recommend avoiding it at all costs.

XM500Rules
30-06-10, 18:20
DoD was the only Onimusha game I've played, but I loved it. :tmb:

Yeah, DoD is very good. But, Onimusha 2 is my favourite. I wish there were more samurai games. I know there is Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes coming later this year.

Carbonek_0051
01-07-10, 09:36
Ok, so I have reached the part after the castle from the original Onimusha in Onimusha 2. So far it's good, but to be honest I felt the first was a tad better. Maybe it's just because I feel nothing for these characters, it's still a great game though. I am more interested in getting through it to play Onimusha 3. For right now though, Onimusha 1 is still my favorite.

Dennis's Mom
01-07-10, 13:44
Oni2 is great because of the friendship system that makes replay value huge. I think you need a minimum of 4 replays to get 100% scenario. It does suffer from lame script. My son and I always mock Jubei's lack of real contribution to any conversation. He just seems to say the other characters' names. :D

Carbonek_0051
06-07-10, 18:03
Onimusha 2 got better as it ended, I actually was a little disappointed with the first half of the game. I wasn't really having fun. But the last few parts were awesome! The final boss fight was just wow! :eek:

Now it's time to start Onimusha 3! :D I bought Dawn of Dreams yesterday, found it for $10 so I said "Why not?". I hope it's not as bad as you Dennis's Mom. :p

*laralover*
06-07-10, 19:58
Yeah the first game is my favourite aswell then the 3rd. The second was a bit like Devil May Cry 2 (but better than that :p)

Carbonek_0051
07-07-10, 01:30
Yeah my favorite is definitely the first, the third is pretty close behind it right now. I liked the second game, but something about it just didn't click.

I am currently in the middle of the third game in the Undersea Temple, I am liking the time travel puzzles. I also really like Ako, she's adorable. :p I love Jacque's weapons, they are ten times cooler than Samanosuke's. :D

*laralover*
07-07-10, 08:45
Yeah my favorite is definitely the first, the third is pretty close behind it right now. I liked the second game, but something about it just didn't click.

I am currently in the middle of the third game in the Undersea Temple, I am liking the time travel puzzles. I also really like Ako, she's adorable. :p I love Jacque's weapons, they are ten times cooler than Samanosuke's. :D

Akooo :hug: I agree the Undersea Temple is awesome! :D

Dennis's Mom
07-07-10, 13:09

Oh, I think you'll take that back after you get the Chigo! Are you doing the Dark Realms? That's how you unlock the weapons from the first game.

I liked Ako too, especially how she brings items to you. :D

Carbonek_0051
07-07-10, 13:46
Oh, I think you'll take that back after you get the Chigo! Are you doing the Dark Realms? That's how you unlock the weapons from the first game.

I liked Ako too, especially how she brings items to you. :D

I look foward to finding the Chigo then. :p

And no, I didn't know you could unlock weapons from the first game! I'll definitely be playing the Dark Realm now. :D And yeah, she's definitely more useful than most game fairies.

Dennis's Mom
07-07-10, 14:14
There's several, with Jacques and Sam-chan each getting three. 2 in the Undersea Temple, 2 at Mont St. Michel and 2 before the final battle. Sam also has one extra one in hard mode.

The orbs are picked up as items in the realms. I'm sure there's FAQs telling you exactly where to get them.

Carbonek_0051
07-07-10, 14:18
Awesome, when I play in a bit I'll look for a FAQ to help. Thanks. :)

Are the Dark Realms hard in this game? They were hard in the first game, and easy in the second.

Dennis's Mom
07-07-10, 14:50
I think they're harder. They do a pretty good job of pairing enemies, and the ninja types can get pretty overwhelming sometimes. Also, I don't think Jacques weapons do the damage that Sam's do. Once you've got them upgraded, you can throw the big guys, but before that it feels like swatting flies.

The last ones are very long--like twenty floors, which can make health and magic an issue if you suck at criticals as do I. If the last ones really give you trouble in that regard, I know there's walkthrough that shows a specific path where you can exit, refill magic, then reenter. Of course, using the white vest helps immeasurably with heath. Actually, all of Ako's vests have their strategic uses. You just have to remember to change them. I also just discovered Jacques has an extra realm on hard mode. So keep your eyes open.

I also think you'll like the Kuga once it's fully enhanced, particularly it's magic. ;)

Carbonek_0051
07-07-10, 14:52
Well I just finished the first one with Sam, I got the Wind Seal which is supposed to become the Shippuu. But how do I use it? :o

Also, it was a little harder than the second games. But I think the first one was more of a pain due to major lack of health recovery items. :p

*laralover*
07-07-10, 16:09
Yeah the first one was annoying i died loads...:hea:

Dennis's Mom
07-07-10, 16:16
You have to beat the game to use them. When you start a new game, they'll be in the alley in Paris, fully charged and waiting for you to pick them up.

RockSteady101
07-07-10, 16:19
I remember when I first got my PS2 this was one of the games I wanted so bad, it looked sheer amazing but now I actually just cba to seek it out - shame, it does look good.

What does it play similiarly to? If it's ANYTHING like the sextastic Tenchu I'm sold

Carbonek_0051
07-07-10, 16:33
You have to beat the game to use them. When you start a new game, they'll be in the alley in Paris, fully charged and waiting for you to pick them up.
Oh ok thanks. :)
I remember when I first got my PS2 this was one of the games I wanted so bad, it looked sheer amazing but now I actually just cba to seek it out - shame, it does look good.

What does it play similiarly to? If it's ANYTHING like the sextastic Tenchu I'm sold
They shouldn't be hard to find, and they are pretty cheap now. It sort of plays like the Resident Evil games, fixed camera angles, herbs, puzzles. But instead of guns you have swords and magic, and instead of slow zombies you have an undead demon army and monsters. :p

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 04:39
Apologies for the double post, I beat the 3rd game earlier today. I enjoyed it and thought it was extremely fun. The only thing that bothered me was the whole Henri & Michelle thing, it was class A cheese. :p

Anyway, I tried starting Dawn of Dreams, the piece of **** has frozen on me every 5 seconds and I can't even play past the first few enemies. I am taking it for my refund, this game isn't worth this hassle. :wve:

EDIT: It might be my PS2, it works perfectly on my brother's PS3. :/

Dennis's Mom
09-07-10, 12:58
You know, I can see where folks might have issues with the Henri/Michelle story, but on the other hand, it was nice to see a game try to have a storyline that didn't revolve around the same old same old. My beef with the story was how little story Samanosuke got. I could write reams about an outcast Samurai brought to the future. He barely reacts to anything.

I'm glad you liked the game. Was I lying about the Chigo? :D

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 16:41
That's true, I just think it wasn't properly executed. Mostly because of the voice actors. Henri was adorable until he opened his mouth. :p I agree about Sam, he didn't get a lot of screen time which annoyed me a little, but then again Jean Reno is amazing so I can't complain too much about him getting more screen time. :D

And no you weren't lying about it, it's the weapon I used the most. :cln:

Dennis's Mom
09-07-10, 17:04
Did you beat critical training and unlock the "True End?"

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 17:09
I did not, I'll have to do that on my second playthrough. I also want to play Tales of Heihachi.

I am going to try to see if Dawn of Dreams will work for me in a bit, from what I played I am not too hopeful I'll like it. It seems very different.

Carbonek_0051
05-02-11, 18:01
It's Time to Resurrect Onimusha
Capcom producer eager to bring back supernatural samurai series.
February 4, 2011
By Richard George

Capcom certainly has no shortage of franchises, including some that have remained dormant for several years. One of the company's bigger successes of the past decade was Onimusha, a series that started in 2001 and quickly spawned six entries within five years. But since 2006, Onimusha has remained dormant, and fans have wondered if Capcom would return to the game on the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Onimusha has had a number of notable producers and directors over the years, including former Capcom head of production Keiji Inafune and current Capcom head of production Jun Takeuchi. But another name involved with the series is Yoshinori Ono, who happens to also be Capcom's main Street Fighter producer. Ono stopped by IGN's offices recently, and we had a chance to ask if fans could expect Onimusha to return.

"The time feels right to me. It feels like it's the time to resurrect that series," Ono said in our interview. "But I wouldn't want to do the things we've done before. I think it might be time to progress beyond the standard single-player adventure. There should be ways to expand upon what we've done while involving the community more. Perhaps implement some sort of multiplayer into a game like that.

"I don't have those ideas solidified yet, but when these ideas come to fruition, when I feel good about them and I feel we can do something, I will most certainly take them in for approval with the higher-ups. It's something I'm very interested in doing."

Stay tuned to IGN as we dig around for more on all of Capcom's key franchises.
[Source] (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1148045p1.html)

YES PLEASE!

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 11:04
So I figured I would update this thread with info on Onimusha Soul.

It's coming out June 28th (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/12/onimusha-soul-is-capcoms-first-browser-game-coming-this-summer/). Hopefully if it's a success we will get a proper sequel.

I hate Capcom, they really need to bring this series back. I would even be happy if they did an HD Collection.

TRDaz
13-04-12, 11:18
Never played the series, but it looks cool, buutt WHY WOULD CAPCOM RESURRECT IT AS A BROWSER GAME?! Stupid idiots..

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 11:23
You should play the series if you get a chance, it's one of Capcom's best series and one of the best PS2 series. :D

I agree, Capcom made a dumb decision with the Web Browser game, it's one of their highest selling franchises and they reduce it to that? :rolleyes:

TRDaz
13-04-12, 11:25
I might try it out :)

Capcom has always been stupid... this is their worst decision.

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 11:27
It's pretty much Resident Evil/Devil May Cry hybrid set in Japan. It's a brilliant game. :D

I agree, they haven't been making the best decisions lately...

TRDaz
13-04-12, 11:29
It's pretty much Resident Evil/Devil May Cry hybrid set in Japan. It's a brilliant game. :D

I agree, they haven't been making the best decisions lately...
:eek: I need it >_>

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 11:33
Here's some gameplay:

4IB9fSBUbTo

It even has the camera angles. The puzzles, and inventory are pretty "RE". :D

TRDaz
13-04-12, 11:56
^ Oh wow. *Tries to find money to buy them*

Carbonek_0051
13-04-12, 18:58
I seriously don't understand why they haven't considered releasing an HD Collection. After play the DMC Collection, I think it would be awesome to see an Onimusha one.

This series needs more love. ;__;

TRDaz
13-04-12, 20:12
I seriously don't understand why they haven't considered releasing an HD Collection. After play the DMC Collection, I think it would be awesome to see an Onimusha one.

This series needs more love. ;__;
If they released a HD Collection I would buy it straight away :D Come on Capcom! RELEASE A HD COLLECTION!

Orionvalentine
13-04-12, 21:01
I loved 3, the whole time travel thing was epic :jmp:

Carbonek_0051
27-09-12, 11:46
Onimusha Soul Gameplay:

XJABYpoq2-4

Words cannot express how sick this makes me.

R.I.P. Onimusha

Dennis's Mom
27-09-12, 23:02
Yeah, Capcom should be ashamed.

re: an HD collection---

It's important to remember the character of Samanosuke does not belong to Capcom. It belongs to Takeshi Kaneshiro and Fu Long Productions. This is why they could only drop hints in DoD about that character being Samanosuke. Capcom can't use the character anytime they want.

It's possible that they simply don't have permission to use Samanosuke in an HD collection. Although if we get an HD collection, I hope they use the vastly superior Genma Onimusha in place of Warlords, or at least include it.

Carbonek_0051
27-09-12, 23:11
I never knew that, it's possible. But you would think Capcom would be able to afford buying rights to use the name. Also wouldn't they be able to use it just for the games they already used it in anyway? Kingdom Hearts contains Tarzan but Disney lost rights after they made the game and now they re-releasing it in HD and I don't think they had to shell out for the rights to use it again. But then again, different contracts could mean different rules.

I would love if the collection included Genma Onimusha, I can't find it anywhere here and I want to be able to play it. I also hope they just forget about DoD and just remaster the first three.

Dennis's Mom
27-09-12, 23:39
I think you still need permission since you'll still be making money off his likeness.

It sticks out they haven't done an Onimusha HD collection, so I have to feel certain they've asked.

Takeshi has become such a huge Asian star, maybe they don't think it's good for him to be associated with games. Or maybe he wants to be involved and his schedule is too busy?

As for Genma--which you can skip cutscenes in (among the other perks)--at least make it available on the Xbox marketplace. It's truly a much better game. It's harder, new enemies and the 30 story Ogre tower.

Carbonek_0051
27-09-12, 23:44
Would they have to pay Takeshi for his likeness being used again? Maybe that would be an issue as well, as much as I would like to think Capcom wouldn't mind paying for it, they have become a company I see as shady and not willing to do so.

I just think it's odd that Onimusha was one of the top 5 best selling franchises from Capcom and they seem to give no craps about it. I actually see an HD collection selling well. Although after the underwhelming sales for the DMC HD Collection, I can also see Capcom being afraid to go ahead with it.

Dennis's Mom
28-09-12, 00:20
It would depend on how much effort they put into it.

I own the games that count, including Genma. I never though the games looked bad to begin with, so TBH, I doubt I would pay for HD (particularly after seeing DMC.)

What would make me spend good money is analog control. Give analog control to the first two (Genma!) and I would spend new game money for them.

That may be the sticking point: who wants to jete back to D-pad today? I don't. As much as I love those games, D-pad gets on my nerves.

Carbonek_0051
28-09-12, 23:36
I agree, while I like the DMC collection (mainly because I don't have PS2 copies) they could have done so much to actually make the games feel less aged. I would hope they would put that effort into a Onimusha collection.

By the way, new rumors about Onimusha 4:
Rumour: Spark Unlimited working on Onimusha 4
Lost Planet 3 dev handed "adventure series reboot," claims report

Capcom has asked Legendary and Lost Planet 3 developer Spark Unlimited to work on an "adventure series reboot."

Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams Screenshot That's according to a rumour report in the latest issue of PSM3 UK, which speculates that the franchise in question could be PS2 action saga Onimusha.

Spark, which made its debut with 3.8/10 shooter Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, is surprisingly in high demand this year, with Capcom's Lost Planet and now also Ninja Gaiden revealed to be under its wing.

Early last year Capcom's Yoshinori Ono said he believes now is the right time to resurrect the Onimusha series, which has lied dormant since 2006.

"I wouldn't want to do the things we've done before. I think it might be time to progress beyond the standard single-player adventure," Ono said.

[Source] (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/370005/rumour-spark-unlimited-working-on-onimusha-4/)

Not sure how I would feel about it being handed to another developer.

Dennis's Mom
29-09-12, 13:22
I don't want another game with "Onimusha" on the cover. I want to play "Onimusha." When Onimusha Warlords first came out, it was called "Resident Evil in feudal Japan." That's Onimusha. Not cutesy anime **** and blonde heroes.

I hate the trend of just slapping a name on a cover and pretending it's the same game series. I'm not that shallow and needy.

Carbonek_0051
01-10-12, 20:24
I have a feeling we would get something drastically different, especially if it's being called an "action adventure". As for Spark, their games have been awful. I played both Turning Point & Legendary, they are extremely terrible in terms of polish and gameplay. I don't expect Lost Planet 3 to be good, and if they handled Onimusha I would expect a terrible game with the name Onimusha plastered on the cover.

sierra xb
25-10-12, 04:48
wow, i had no idea there was an Onimusha thread in here...thought i was almost the only one who had even heard of it. I started the series with Onimusha 2, and loved every bit of it. I am a fan of anything old-style japanese, so this game was just perfect for me. I would love to get ahold of some of the background renders in the game just to have them for desktop photos :)

I went next to Onimusha 3, and was just as impressed, although i didn't like the music quite as much as what i heard in O2. The time traveling bits were just so cool.

After i finished 3, i found a copy of Warlords in the used rack at Gamestop...took it straight home and started playing it. I was actually surprised to find out that it had many of the same locations as Samurai's Destiny (that's what i get for playing games out of order). It also made me realize that i like Samanosuke better than Jubei :) He just seems to have a bit more of a personality.

Last summer i finally found a copy of Dawn of Dreams. I was all excited to get it home and start playing it...made it past the openeing scenes, and about 5 minutes of gameplay...and then...the :cen: thing locked up on me. I tried it several times and it just refuses to go past that one point. I don't know if it is my disc (no obvious scratches), but i guess i'll have to find another copy somewhere.

Has anyone heard any info about the live-action film that was planned?

Carbonek_0051
25-10-12, 04:56
Samanosuke is a God <3

As for Dawn of Dreams that's REALLY odd, my copy did the exact same thing. I could not get past the first section because of it. It only did it on my PS2 though, when I tried it on my brother's PS3 it was fine. :/

This is all we know about the movie:

In May 2003, Paramount Pictures, Davis Films and Gaga Productions announced its joint venture to adapt the action-adventure game series into a $50 million live-action feature film. According to Paramount Pictures and Davis Films' Samuel Hadida, "It's samurai fighting against demons – it's very close to this simple pitch. There's also a love story woven in. It's a big adventure movie with lots of special effects." Hadida also proposed the possibility of a film franchise. In December 2006, director Christophe Gans said that he had Onimusha lined up to film. The film, budgeted at over $70 million, was to begin production in China in February 2008 for a December 2009 release. In a June article by movie site Ain't It Cool News, it was revealed that Takeshi Kaneshiro will be in the movie, reprising his role as Samanosuke.

Hadida had to delay the filming of Onimusha, which has resulted in the film's Japanese cast working on other film projects during the delay, and being unavailable to start filming Onimusha. These factors meant that French director Christophe Gans will now direct an adaptation of Leo Perutz's novel The Swedish Cavalier first, taking over the reins from Gilles Mimouni. Satomi Ishihara and Tsuyoshi Ihara remain attached to the project.
I really hope Christophe Gans still decided to direct it when it comes time. He did wonders with the Silent Hill film, I could see him making this amazing.

sierra xb
25-10-12, 05:02
^ unfortunately, my PS2 died and i don't have a PS3 to test it in, but i will have to give that a rty if i can locate somebody that has one.

I would definitely go see a movie version, especially if Takeshi Kaneshiro is in it.

Carbonek_0051
25-10-12, 05:05
Dawn of Dreams isn't really worth playing, I tried the demo and got a little far on my brother's PS3 and got bored. I took it back for a refund and kind of pretend it doesn't exist.

sierra xb
25-10-12, 05:10
if i can get it to work, i'll probably end up playing if for a while, but from what little i saw of it from the beginning, it just didn't quite seem to have the Onimusha "feel" that i got from the first 3 games.