PDA

View Full Version : Game Ratings

Catracoth
29-06-10, 20:37
Just a brief note: this thread is not meant to discuss the scenario I'm about to describe, but similar cases and events. I do not wish to discuss my friend's decisions because she is not here to defend herself and it would not be fair. Any failure to heed to this request will result in a request to lock the thread. Thank you.

Right, well lately I've been thinking about video games, their ratings, and the ages of gamers giving their attention to games that aren't suitable for them. Recently, I visited one of the children from the preschool I teach at a couple of cities over and had an interesting discussion with his mother. She has four children, two of which are boys; the little one whom I know, he is five. His older brother is twelve. They're both casual gamers, and her older son plays age appropriate games and also plays Fallout, Uncharted, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. His younger brother (almost six years old, mind you) also plays Uncharted and CoD: MW2, among the age appropriate games for him.

As I spoke to his mother, she allows her older son to play Call of Duty because it's just an action/adventure game in which players portray desirable game characters. She does not allow him, however, to play other games of the same rating because all of the other games he requests to play (Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, etc.) are highly inappropriate in her eyes. She admitted that originally, she did let her younger son play Modern Warfare 2 with his brother because while watching her older son play, she deemed the game okay to play (but still had her doubts) and no longer lets him play after overhearing her two sons' conversation about the game's ending and the defeat of General Shepherd.

I thought that her decision was fair and justified. I also thought (but never told her) that while it was rather irresponsible that she let both children play a game suitable for gamers ages 17+, her reasons for letting them play were indeed valid, in my opinion.

Point of this thread being, there are specific and detailed ratings given to video games:

United States Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB)
http://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_ec.gifhttp://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_e.gifhttp://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_e10.gifhttp://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_t.gifhttp://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_m.gifhttp://www.esrb.org/images/ratingsymbol_ao.gif

Pan European Game Information (PEGI)
http://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/media/img/320.gifhttp://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/media/img/321.gifhttp://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/media/img/322.gifhttp://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/media/img/323.gifhttp://www.pegi.info/en/index/id/33/media/img/324.gif

Obviously, what's considered appropriate for what age varies from country to country, albeit they're all rather close in similarity for equal comparison. I've taken the liberty of creating this thread with hopes of getting a sort of forum consensus when it comes to game ratings.

What are your opinions on game ratings and violation of them?

edit: I removed the questionnaire because people seemed to have missed why I made the thread as bolded above :p.

Catracoth
29-06-10, 20:38
1.) Do you agree with your country's rating system? Bear in mind games you've knowledge of and their rating. Do you think they're appropriate?

-Yes, I believe that the game ratings are appropriately given.

2.) Do you agree that game ratings are to be kept strict? In other words, are game stores spot-on by following the ESRB or PEGI when distributing their games?

-Yes, I believe that the game ratings are fine the way they are and I also believe that video game stores are indeed doing right by following the rules while distributing their games (except of course for the small exception of game stores that don't give a hoot what the age is of the customer).

3.) Do you think that it is okay if a child (with permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian/s) who's suggested game rating limit is E 10+ or 12 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) plays a video game that is rated T or 16 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively)? Why or why not?

-Yes, I think it is okay if a child does so, depending on the game. Most games that are rated T or 16 might be suitable, especially if it's a game that might just have mild lyrics or crude humour. It all comes down to the content of the game, in which parents must take responsibility and read.

4.) Do you think it is okay if a child (with permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian/s) who's suggested game rating limit is E 10+ or 12 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) plays a video game that is rated M or 18 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) if their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) feel that the child is mature enough or responsible enough to handle the content in the game? Why or why not?

-No, I do not believe that this is okay. Parents may think their child is mature enough to handle these games, but the reality is, most of the time, they are not. Even if they are, early exposure may have their effects. I have my years of experience with children to back up my opinion.

5.) What is your age?

-I am 18 years of age.

6.) At what age did you start playing video games?

-Approximately 6 or 7 years of age.

7.) What was the general rating of the games you played? If your answer is a rating more mature than your age, please explain if your parents allowed you to play these games and why.

-Generally, I played games appropriate for my age, but I gradually moved onto T games as I grew (still under 13 years old) and M rated games (only one at the time and then as I grew close to 13, more). My parents felt that after observation, I was able to play M rated games while being able to determine what actions are appropriate in a video game and what actions are not appropriate in real life. I have never proven them wrong to this day.

t-raider26
29-06-10, 20:52
1.) I live in Canada, and we use the ESRB. I definitely agree with our rating system. It seems to be working fine among gamers :tmb:

2.)I dont think that game ratings are strict enough! I remember buying Saints Row 2 (rated M for Mature) when I was 14 years old from an EB games. I realiz that I'm only 16 now, and still play Mature games. But whats the point of having the whole rating system if its not going to be put into effect? Shouldn't game stores not sell M or T games to younger buyers?

3.) I think its ok. As long as the parent knows exactly what goes on in such game. Like if a 10 year old is playing GTA, I think the parent should know that in game there is drug use, and sex, and violence. I dont think parents really pay enough attention to these things.

4.) I don't think it's right. But there are probably a lot of other things that many parents do that I dont think is right. As I'm sure many people wouldnt agree with my parents. It all depends on the fact that the parent knows EXACTLY what goes on in the game. If they think thats suitable for their child, who are we to say its wrong?

5.) 16

6.) Around... 6...?

7.) My parents were usually pretty good with following the ESRB ratings. I always had Nintendo platforms (Gameboy, Gamecube, Nintendo 64), and most of the games available for those platforms are rated E. It wasnt until I was 13 that I got my first T rated game (Tomb Raider Legend :D). I didnt get my first "non-Nintendo" platform until I was 14. I got the PS3. As of now, my parents are pretty lenient with what games I buy...

igonge
29-06-10, 21:03
1.) Do you agree with your country's rating system? Bear in mind games you've knowledge of and their rating. Do you think they're appropriate?

Yes. I think the ratings system and the ratings that are given are fair.

2.) Do you agree that game ratings are to be kept strict? In other words, are game stores spot-on by following the ESRB or PEGI when distributing their games?

Yes they should be kept strict in stores. The game ratings are there for a reason!

3.) Do you think that it is okay if a child (with permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian/s) who's suggested game rating limit is E 10+ or 12 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) plays a video game that is rated T or 16 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively)? Why or why not?

Yes, if that child understands the content of the game they are playing.

4.) Do you think it is okay if a child (with permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian/s) who's suggested game rating limit is E 10+ or 12 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) plays a video game that is rated M or 18 (ESRB and PEGI ratings respectively) if their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) feel that the child is mature enough or responsible enough to handle the content in the game? Why or why not?

Not sure. Undecided.

5.) What is your age?

17 years old.

4 -5 years old.

7.) What was the general rating of the games you played? If your answer is a rating more mature than your age, please explain if your parents allowed you to play these games and why.

All sorts. I played games that my mum and dad played which were usually things like Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Dino Crisis. They'd play them and I'd watch and I'd play them afterwards. They let me play them because they had already had a playthrough of them themselves, my mum usually watched me play anyway. She realised that I knew it wasn't real and the situations the characters that the characters in these games get themselves into are perposterous. So basically, yes, my parents let me play games that were above my age group from about 5 years old because they supervised me.

Zebra
29-06-10, 21:06

I do mostly agree with my country's rating system. However, in most cases I do not agree with the ban of individual games here in Germany.

I think ratings are there as a guidance for parents so that they can decide which games their children should play. So I think a child or teen should not be sold any games inappropriate for his age class unless he has parental permission.

I think that's totally fine as long as the child has the needed maturity. That said, I do not think your average 6-year-old should play games rated 16+. The way I see it, it's like this:

0+ - Games without age restriction.
3+ - Games for children aged 6 years and older with parental permission.
7+ - Games for children aged 12 years and older with parental permission.
11+ - Games for adolescents aged 16 years and older with parental permission.
15+ - Games for adults aged 18 years and older with parental permission.

Of course, it always depends on the individual child and the individual game and every parent has to decide whether his child is mature enough to play certain games. What I posted above simply means I wouldn't let anyone younger than 11 play 16+ games, etc.

Same as 3.

5.) What is your age?

Tough question. I think I started playing at the age of 7 but those were only strategic games like Pharaoh and I didn't play a whole lot (maybe twice a week). I really started gaming at the age of 12.

Pretty mixed. Most were probably 12+ and 16+ and - later on - some 18+ games, as well. I've always had permission of my parents to play these games. On the one hand, they know me well enough to know that I'm able (and was able) to tell apart a video game and the real world and that I'm mature enough to handle such things. On the other hand, they always had a look at the games. They never let me buy a game without knowing what it's about, etc.

Catracoth
29-06-10, 21:13
0+ - Games without age restriction.
3+ - Games for children aged 6 years and older with parental permission.
7+ - Games for children aged 12 years and older with parental permission.
11+ - Games for adolescents aged 16 years and older with parental permission.
15+ - Games for adults aged 18 years and older with parental permission.

I don't understand this. Why rate a game 7+ and only let people ages 12 and up play it? Same goes for the rest of the ratings.

Zebra
29-06-10, 21:18
I don't understand this. Why rate a game 7+ and only let people ages 12 and up play it? Same goes for the rest of the ratings.

The left side is the age of the child and the right side the rating of the game. And what I mean by this is that, while I would let someone who is below the age of 12 play 12+ games (depending on the individual person and the game's content), I wouldn't let anyone below the age of 7 play a 12+ game.

Catracoth
29-06-10, 21:57
What is your basis or reasoning behind this mindset?

jackali
29-06-10, 22:27

-For the most part, yes. I think that the rating system is more or less appropriate.

-This is tricky. I think game stores should stick to the ratings, and not allow younger people to buy games above their age bracket... but then it's difficult because people can always have games bought for them. I think game stores should stick to the rating system, but mostly to cover themselves if there are any complaints about a person playing a game rated older than them.

-Yes, I do think that it's okay, provided the child has permission. If the parents think that their child can handle the content in those rated games then there's no reason they ought not to play those games.

-This is a very difficult question. In my personal experience I've never had my parents restrict my gaming. I've always played any game I wanted to irrespective of the age rating. And I'd like to think I've turned out fine. But not everyone will. I want to say that it's okay because it's been okay for me, but I think it's safer to say that it's not okay because that way it pre-empts the children who are unable to handle themes present in more mature games even though their parents think they can.

5.) What is your age?

-To be entirely honest, about 2. Although that wasn't really proper gaming, it was button bashing at best. I'd say proper, intellectual gaming started around 5 for me.

-Most of the games I played were probably a rating more mature, but there was a mix of everything. As stated above, I played whatever I wanted to. My parents allowed me to, but initially were careful to ensure that I was aware of the distinction between the game world and the real world. With that in mind, I enjoyed the games but I wouldn't say that they've had an adverse effect on me, quite the opposite. Many games (particularly older ones) have been intellectually stimulating. My parents wanted me to learn, and to get my brain to work, a lot of the games had puzzles and this helped.

freeze10108
29-06-10, 22:37
1.) Growing up with the ESRB system, I believe that the ratings they give are, for the most part, fine. However, I have seen/played a few games that were probably rated too high (Mortal Kombat: Advance, for example), but never too low.

2.) Stores most definitely should follow the restrictions put in place by the rating companies. In my mind, the ratings are there to inform parents about the game and its possibly questionable content, and to make a decision in place of a parent if they are not present.

3.) For the most part, games rated Teen have little to no highly objectionable content that could possible "harm" a child. But, maturity levels vary, and the parent should make the decision based on what they know about their child.

4.) Here's the tough one. Some games I feel are closer to Teen and might not be harmful for younger kids to play, while others I feel are under absolutely no terms appropriate for younger kids to play. Further, I think it depends on the content. That is, games rated Mature for violence, may be okay for children to play, depending on the situation and how graphic the depiction is. Games rated Mature for sex and/or drugs, however, are not appropriate for children to play.

The maturity level of the child in question matters too, as well as their age. I would not find it permissable for anyone under twelve to play an M rated game, and even twelve seems young to me.

5.) I am seventeen years old.

6.) I started playing "edutainment" games around three or four, and "real" games around five or six.

7.) Generally, they were E or more moderate T games like Tomb Raider II or Final Fantasy VII. My first M game was Mortal Kombat: Advance, but like I said, it's debatable whether or not it's rated too highly on the scale. Diablo II was next, and my parents did some research on it before buying it for me. After that, I had pretty much free reign over what games I got as I was fifteen before I wanted another M game.

moodydog
29-06-10, 22:44

Yes

Yes

Yes, they are going to probably play them in a few years or so, and 12's are usually games for the young just with an extra layer of mature content. 16's, depending on the game, can be lenient towards the 12 mark or the 18 mark.

No, there are usually very mature themes on 18 rated games, not that kids would be sickened by the blood, rather they may not understand certain aspects of the games. I reckon a 14 year old may just about scrape an 18.

5.) What is your age?

Since like 7 ish

I play a range of games, from 3's to 18's. I only started plain 18's when I was about 12 or 13, simply because I had no desire for them. My parents aren't or weren't strict on me playing games which have a higher rating, simply because
they thought give or take a few years, I would somehow find 18's, and that I wasn't the persuasive type :p.

Tonyrobinson
29-06-10, 23:08
Some games such as Playboy and Leisure suite Larry shouldn't have kids play them. Violence is okay to me because it represents a part of life and everyone bleeds, Even nudity is okay because it's again natural but pornographic and sexual themes shouldn't be exploited to children...

larafan25
29-06-10, 23:26

I think the American ratings are suitable. Alot of stuff people find offensive is not directly in the game. That is a very general statement but a first impression of a tomb raider game could come from hearing a false statement or hearing flack attatched to that video game series.

I think it should be the same as movies. If I am under the age rating for that game and I go into the store alone and try to purchase the game, the clerk should advise me of the game content and possibly prohibit me from buying this game without having an adult with me. This next scenario can also be related back to my last answer about how some offenses in games are not direct. I was with my mom in EBgames buying Final Fantasy X-2, I was about 13 at the time and the age rating for the game is T for teen. The clerk warned that there is a suggestive scene (this guy was not very serious when approaching the topic, the EBgames I know is natorious for being very unprofessional, anywho he begins to tell us that there is a suggestive scene where there are girls together and one is giving the other a backrub. I don't remember my mom's reaction to this...but having not played the game my mind was racing with ideas as to what that could actually mean. Anywho a year later I reach that point in the game, it was nothing sexual at all, hence it being suggestive, but barely, at least in the eyes of a gay teen. Another time I was warned when purchasing Unreal Tournament 3, but I made sure to my mom that it was ok and I was fine with the content, I mean the cleark explained it was gore, so no big for me.

This really depends how the rating is described, there are also so many factors, whether it is realistic, cartoony, sexual compared to violence.

Same answer as above, I really couldn't give a straight answer.

5.) What is your age?

15, I play games of all rating, I judge based on the actual content.

Very young, like 7 or 8. I was just playing frogger and crash bandicoot. I sucked at them and I really didn't care much for games then.

7.) What was the general rating of the games you played?

At that time the general rating was probably E for everyone or E+10. However now the majority are T for teen.

Paddy
30-06-10, 02:04

No. I think a R 18 plus rating needs to come in. Otherwise I think its a fair system.

Theres reasons for a game being rated a specific way so I agree that stores should be strict on it, shouldnt sell an underage person a game thats M or MA, its the law anyway.

Depends on the situation, if the parent feels the kid can be trusted to play the game in question then I cant argue with it.

I think its ok certainly, if the child is responsible and doesnt try to replicate actions from those games then nothing wrong with letting them play those games.

5.) What is your age?

Around 5-6 years of age.

A lot back then were G rated but I did play a fair few from M and MA. I was allowed to because my parents know Im responsible and mature enough to tell the difference between a game and reality.

innocentvenus
30-06-10, 03:20
I agree with it for the most part, but sometimes I think games are rated a little too high.

In my town I get carted for more games than I do alcohol. However, only a few stores actually follow the ratings. It's usually Target that requires a driver's license to be scanned in order to buy the game. Walmart and Gamestop haven't yet.

I think it is okay for a child to play the game only after they've checked out the game itself. Parents need to do research on these things. Some of the rated T stuff is more cartoony and probably shouldn't have a T rating, and some of it is almost pushing a M rating. It's up to the parents.

No. There is a reason why it has an 18+ rating on it. I do not care how "mature" a parent thinks their child is. It's sickening how many children I hear on voice playing games with a M rating and their parents aren't watching them. Parents don't want their children exposed to suggestive language or sex (like porn), so I don't understand why you would buy a rated M game. :mad: However I feel if they're above the age of 15 they can start playing mature games, given that the parent has done research.

5.) What is your age?

I started at 4 but I got serious at 14.

I have to admit it was mostly T games because they were my older brother's. However, my mom watched us play whenever she could and my older brother would too. The games I owned before I turned 13 were all E. Also back in the early 90's I think there wasn't much to worry about either. :P

Survival
30-06-10, 07:28

I kinda donīt agree with rating systems in general. Games like GTA have a mature rating but theyīre clearly made with teens in mind. Itīs not a mature game and blood, sex and drugs donīt make anything mature. Itīs teens and kids who get the kick out of the gameīs "No holding back" politics. While I think ratings of the games are useful 99% of parents never even consider paying them any attention (these forums being a perfect example).

Yes I believe that but then again parents will enter the store and buy the game for their kids. Even after clerk warns them about the gameīs content most of them just donīt really care or really understand the concept of games alone ("Itīs a game so it must be for kids").

That depends on the contect of the game. Thereīs a huge leap between game like "GTA" and game like "Silent Hill 2". Both are mature rated games but only one of them really deals with mature themes and mature understanding of the world. Kids can play both of them but most of them will get more kicks out of GTA for apparent reasons.

I think itīs OK for a 12 year old to play most of T (16) games but thatīs to be judget on the gameīs content and childīs inteligence.

No I donīt think itīs OK. Hovewer like I already answered in previous question thereīs a huge difference between "M"ature rated games and "mature" games.

5.) What is your age?

I gut fully into gaming when I was 12. Iīve been playing here and there on consoles and such since 5 though.

12+ mostly. My favourite games (Resident Evil, Silent Hill and Gabriel Knight) all had a "15" rating over here. I never played kidīs games like Spyro and such.

Phlip
30-06-10, 08:39

Yeah. :)

Yeah, they're accurate. (There's only been two times where I've disagreed with ratings, but they were by the BBFC and for two films.)

I think it'd be ok. It depends on the child

I think it does still depend on the child. Some kids absorb what they see, others they just forget about whatever bad content it had in it.

5.) What is your age?

No idea

Mostly 15/18. My parents never had a problem with high rated games, but strangely enough, had problems with me watching 18 rated horror films. :confused:

the ancient
30-06-10, 15:02

For some games I agree with the system :)

Well i think it is inapropriet to sell a 10 year old a game like GTA
but selling a 14 year old kid a teen rated (16 years) is good for me.

I think it can, kids from an age of 13 are able too play a game like TR or Halo (with premission ofcourse).

No just selling a kid of 12 a game for adults only isn't a good thing

5.) What is your age?

15 :)

Euhm 10 I think

Teen (like TR, Red steel) and everyone (like mario and Pokémon...)

lord gaga
30-06-10, 15:18
Just a brief note: this thread is not meant to discuss the scenario I'm about to describe, but similar cases and events. I do not wish to discuss my friend's decisions because she is not here to defend herself and it would not be fair. Any failure to heed to this request will result in a request to lock the thread. Thank you.

5.) What is your age?

(regarding questions 3 and 4, please do not answer 'why' because "The ratings say so." Please give an honest and opinionated response.)
[/LEFT]
[/CENTER]

1. Yes i think the ratings are fine.

2.They must be unless a parent tells them otherwise.

3. I think yes because the parents are suppose to have control over their children and they can also control what they play.

4. Maybe the child has to show he is reponsiable to earn trust and the parent should look into the game first to see if there is anything.

6. age 7 playing tomb raider.

7. I am not a game freak so i only play a little and the games i play are either for everyone(harry potters) or teen(tomb raider,need for speed)