PDA

View Full Version : Why would it be so bad there be Tomb Raider on the Wii

jfjeep26
01-07-10, 00:45
I was wondering because I'm so infuriated with people bashing on the wii because I have one (it makes me feel like their not only bashing on the system but also me). People don't seem to get that I don't have the money for the other systems and that maybe It was a gift. Anyways if there was a Tomb Raider game for wii why would that be such a bad thing a lot of the people on here act as if a Tomb Raider on wii would be the apocalypse or something why can't someone enjoy themselves even though they don't have the money. Is it such a crime to enjoy oneself. Everyone else on here has every console in the world well not me why can't I enjoy Tomb Raider. I'm only one person and nothing will change that but nothing can changer the fact that I'm human and equipped with fully functional emotions. It seems as if a lot of people have been talking down to me lately. What did the Wii or Nintendo do to be excluded from this wonderful franchise. What did I do to deserve this ?

Camera Obscura
01-07-10, 00:55
Have you spoken to a therapist about this?

Honestly, compare the Wii/PS2 versions of TR:Underworld with the PS3/PC/360 versions. The Wii just can't handle a new TR game unless you cut down on the quality of the game to accommodate the Wii's limitations. And in case you weren't aware of it 99% of this forum, and most gamers in fact, don't want to play a low quality game. This is why it's easy to port new games between the Xbox 360 and PS3, because right now both systems are capable of delivering the same game without worrying about cutting back on things. The Wii just isn't capable of keeping up with those two systems I'm afraid.

irjudd
01-07-10, 02:26
Because the Wii sucks balls.

michaeldt
01-07-10, 02:29
because you have to wave your arms around with the Wii

trlestew
01-07-10, 02:35
You are not Wii. You're not being insulted.

Now, people do not want Tomb Raider to be on the wii as like said

-It has many limitations (From graphic capabilities to storage)
-People are used to the keyboard and gamepad style controllers, the wii mote isn't really suitable for TR in many people's opinion
-It would be a waste as people want the seris to EVOLVE, not be kept back by the wii.
-Many people who own the Wii are casual gamers. They won't take interest in Tomb Raider meaning lower sales than the other versions.

Point simple, it'll be bad.

scremanie
01-07-10, 02:36
Wii already has a TR game... 2 in fact.. :confused:

And the Anni version for the Wii was slightly improved...

Mr GaGa
01-07-10, 03:19

That and the Graphics would make Lara look bad. And it would interfere with Lara on the good systems like PC and 360;)

voltz
01-07-10, 04:04
The only good TR game a Wii will ever see is one that's exclusive to it.

jfjeep26
01-07-10, 06:19
The only good TR game a Wii will ever see is one that's exclusive to it.
Well I've been fight that war too and all to no avail (I assume you'll all be sending me ps3's and 360's since you all despise the wii soo much) hmmph

I give up

:mad::hea::(

Shark_Blade
01-07-10, 06:38
Because the wii is not worth it. And I have a wii.

Dingaling
01-07-10, 07:31
To be honest, I don't see why a Wii Tomb Raider game couldn't be made. Anniversary showed it can be very successfully done, however, I would like them to go down the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands route and instead of making a direct port, build the game for the Wii.

Graphical limitations are only a superficial reason and the Wii can produce beautiful -although not as beautiful as PS3/Xbox 360/PC - games but is that really the most important counterargument that people can come up with?

Storage limitations is a moot point too - the Wii uses DVDs which is also what the Xbox 360 uses and the exclusion of a HDD wouldn't really factor into it unless there's DLC which would be unlikely, plus, neither Legend or Anniversary needed to use the HDD on the Xbox 360 (except Anni. as DLC for Legend but that's not really counting) and neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 needed the HDD to be used for Underworld (bar the DLC, which again, would be incredibly unlikely for the Wii version) except, for all three games, in using the HDD for saving the game but the Wii has storage space for save games.

Anniversary has shown that the Wiimote can be used successfully as a controlling item instead of the standard keyboard/mouse/Gamepad. The 'waving arms syndrome' was kept to a minimum except in special cases: pulling levers, puzzles and the archaeological work that Lara performed exclusively in the Wii versions of Anniversary and Underworld. They weren't even 'waving arms' but more general movements that didn't need a lot of force or active movement.

Evolution can occur anywhere and to say that it couldn't occur on the Wii shows how many people do not see the Wii as a proper system. Nintendo took a gamble on using motion controls and every Wii comes with those controllers as standard as opposed to the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. They have the ability to use those controllers in ways not available on the other systems. The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 don't have all that many additional new feature that can truly revolutionise gaming except for additional accessories and the developer's ideas.
Part of gaming evolution will come from a developer trying something completely new too.
I look at Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light which looks like it has more evolution in it for the Tomb Raider universe than II, Adventures of Lara Croft, The Last Revelation, Chronicles, The Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld combined. While the Lara Croft series is separate from the Tomb Raider series there should be no doubt that ideas that have had a positive reaction from fans of Tomb Raider will influence or make their way over to the main series. That does not mean to see Tomb Raider will shift to an isometric view but it may mean for a few levels Lara will have additional help from another character at her side.
But that's a downloadable game which from the sounds of things would put it in around the same category as the Wii. It's smaller, not as 'important' so obviously evolution can't occur.

Graphically, Tomb Raider Wii not be an evolution but that does not mean gameplay could not evolve, new ideas couldn't be tried.

The Wii gets a lot of flak because it's tied to the 'casual' crowd a lot which is true but that doesn't mean games can't work well on the system and they definitely can but developers can't sit on their laurels, they would have to be creative and the series needs a little creativity.

The Lara Croft series is a huge step in the right direction, it allows them to try new ideas while still developing for a familiar universe and I really don't see why they couldn't do that for a Wii Tomb Raider game.

igonge
01-07-10, 11:11
I would like them to go down the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands route and instead of making a direct port, build the game for the Wii.

Underworld for Wii was built for that console and it was balls.

aussie500
01-07-10, 11:21
To be honest, I don't see why a Wii Tomb Raider game couldn't be made. Anniversary showed it can be very successfully done, however, I would like them to go down the Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands route and instead of making a direct port, build the game for the Wii.

Graphical limitations are only a superficial reason and the Wii can produce beautiful -although not as beautiful as PS3/Xbox 360/PC - games but is that really the most important counterargument that people can come up with?

Storage limitations is a moot point too - the Wii uses DVDs which is also what the Xbox 360 uses and the exclusion of a HDD wouldn't really factor into it unless there's DLC which would be unlikely, plus, neither Legend or Anniversary needed to use the HDD on the Xbox 360 (except Anni. as DLC for Legend but that's not really counting) and neither the PS3 or Xbox 360 needed the HDD to be used for Underworld (bar the DLC, which again, would be incredibly unlikely for the Wii version) except, for all three games, in using the HDD for saving the game but the Wii has storage space for save games.

Anniversary has shown that the Wiimote can be used successfully as a controlling item instead of the standard keyboard/mouse/Gamepad. The 'waving arms syndrome' was kept to a minimum except in special cases: pulling levers, puzzles and the archaeological work that Lara performed exclusively in the Wii versions of Anniversary and Underworld. They weren't even 'waving arms' but more general movements that didn't need a lot of force or active movement.

Evolution can occur anywhere and to say that it couldn't occur on the Wii shows how many people do not see the Wii as a proper system. Nintendo took a gamble on using motion controls and every Wii comes with those controllers as standard as opposed to the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360. They have the ability to use those controllers in ways not available on the other systems. The Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 don't have all that many additional new feature that can truly revolutionise gaming except for additional accessories and the developer's ideas.
Part of gaming evolution will come from a developer trying something completely new too.
I look at Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light which looks like it has more evolution in it for the Tomb Raider universe than II, Adventures of Lara Croft, The Last Revelation, Chronicles, The Angel of Darkness, Legend, Anniversary and Underworld combined. While the Lara Croft series is separate from the Tomb Raider series there should be no doubt that ideas that have had a positive reaction from fans of Tomb Raider will influence or make their way over to the main series. That does not mean to see Tomb Raider will shift to an isometric view but it may mean for a few levels Lara will have additional help from another character at her side.
But that's a downloadable game which from the sounds of things would put it in around the same category as the Wii. It's smaller, not as 'important' so obviously evolution can't occur.

Graphically, Tomb Raider Wii not be an evolution but that does not mean gameplay could not evolve, new ideas couldn't be tried.

The Wii gets a lot of flak because it's tied to the 'casual' crowd a lot which is true but that doesn't mean games can't work well on the system and they definitely can but developers can't sit on their laurels, they would have to be creative and the series needs a little creativity.

The Lara Croft series is a huge step in the right direction, it allows them to try new ideas while still developing for a familiar universe and I really don't see why they couldn't do that for a Wii Tomb Raider game.

They did build TRU for the Wii, it was using a next gen engine for the game that was the problem. They needed to use the old legacy version that TRA used. I loved playing TRA on the Wii, was very disappointed with the controls for TRU but for a Wii game it was not that bad and there were lots of new areas to explore and puzzles to solve. Probably if they make a Wii version for TR9 I would buy it, but personally I doubt they would bother making a graphically challenged version of TR9. An exclusive game only available for the Wii/PS2 and done with a different engine would be more interesting, and probably look a lot better.

Either way a Tomb Raider game on the Wii is probably never going to sell that well, the console is mainly for a completely different type of gamer.

tidusffxwakka
01-07-10, 11:22
i agree with dingaling. the wii is a great console, which ppl moan about because of the waggle/casual crowd. well guess what ppl, soon you will be waving and waggling with your ps3 and 360s so stop using tht excuse and the casual crowd will most likely cause the systems to get shovelware!

take mario galaxy 2, extremely fun, little waggle, good graphics and one of the best games out imo!

im all for a wii exclusive tr or continued ports.

Phlip
01-07-10, 11:27
well guess what ppl, soon you will be waving and waggling with your ps3

No I won't. I don't plan to buy into that crap, and if it's forced upon me, I'll quit new gaming.

Ward Dragon
01-07-10, 11:52
An exclusive game only available for the Wii/PS2 and done with a different engine would be more interesting, and probably look a lot better.

I agree. I think that if they make any more TR games for the Wii, they should make it exclusively for the Wii with its own story and levels (not a watered-down version of the next main game). Of course they could release a PC version on Steam too if they wanted, perhaps with minor graphical enhancements, but it shouldn't be treated as a main release so people don't expect it to use the same engine and graphics from the current main games. If it's completely its own game without a more advanced version to compare it to, then it will seem a lot better and it could be designed fully with the Wii in mind (not just trying to mimic or gloss over the 360/PS3 game with the Wii's limitations getting in the way).

TombOfRaiders
01-07-10, 15:20
because the wii sucks balls.

+1

Alive_and_Funky
01-07-10, 15:34
I more or less agree with this:

The real problem is, as many have already mentioned, would a Wii-exclusive Tomb Raider game sell well on the Wii? I don't think it would at this time, as even the sales for Underworld were underwhelming (from what I remember), and that was on the Xbox 360 and PS3.
People may not like to hear this, but the Tomb Raider franchise isn't really all that relevant to gaming anymore. But you never know, a Wii game could turn things around (casual gamers are hardly unfamiliar with the name "Lara Croft"), although doing something special with the next Xbox 360/PS3 game first would probably be a safer bet. After that, a Wii game could follow.

Dominic_raider
01-07-10, 17:47
Wii is amazing! But not appropriate for TR games. Have you seen TRU? The porting is just awfull graphics and Wii can have so much better graphics. Besides Wii is just not TR face. It just doesn't mixes at all.

WSOwen02
01-07-10, 22:29
The Wii is not terrible. I don't own one and don't want one but that's because it was not made for me. It was made for a different audience, people who don't play games and it succeeded at that.

And if you enjoy it, that's great. Don't let the opinions of people on the internet hurt your enjoyment of it. Hell, according to the internet, the PS3 has no games and PC gaming is dead.

trlestew
01-07-10, 22:33
edit: nvm, that was what you were implying :o

Yes, don't let opinions hurt you. We all have different views on the subject. As I have already said, I don't think a TR title would do good on the Wii. but that doesn't have to affect you in any way.

Tombreaper
01-07-10, 23:08
It's nothing personal, but the wii is crap, it's not even a gaming device.

Play Tomb Raider on a Playstation, PC or X360/PS3

kthnxbai
02-07-10, 21:11
Anyone who insults the Wii doesn't mean to insult you personally...
And anyone that does is just pathetic...

Honestly, I'm broke too... I never buy new games... I have a PS3 from when I saved up aaaaages ago....
And in all fairness, 360s aren't that much dearer than Wiis...

The point is, realistically, the Wii is inferior when it comes to hardware... That doesn't mean that games shouldn't be made for it, but porting a PC/PS3/360 game to Wii is never gonna work out the best... If they design the game with the Wii in mind, it may very well lead to limitations on the game.

I agree with those that have said that they should build a separate game for Wii...

It sucks if the games you like aren't made for Wii, but that's no ones fault... You can't expect all the games you like to be on your platform...

Tombraiderx08
02-07-10, 22:07
I think it'd have great potential if it were made exclusively for the wii, and not made to be ported or anything like that.

the ancient
03-07-10, 08:59
You are not Wii. You're not being insulted.

Now, people do not want Tomb Raider to be on the wii as like said

-It has many limitations (From graphic capabilities to storage)

TRA and many other games look pretty nice on Wii

-People are used to the keyboard and gamepad style controllers, the wii mote isn't really suitable for TR in many people's opinion

You can connect a GC controler to the wii :)

-It would be a waste as people want the seris to EVOLVE, not be kept back by the wii.

How can they evelove when they are PC/XBox360/PS3 only?

-Many people who own the Wii are casual gamers. They won't take interest in Tomb Raider meaning lower sales than the other versions.

You know that a zombie shooter like RE sales good on wii

:)

scremanie
03-07-10, 09:12
When I had my Wii, all I used it for was parties to play Mario Kart and Tennis :p

I had Underworld on it, only because my mum got it for me for Christmas, with the Wii, cause she knows I like Tomb Raider. Once I finished it, I rarely ever played it. I would play Animal Crossing a few times, only so I could see what has changed in my town, and even then, I only got Animal Crossing with the Wii. In fact, I don't think I specifically went out an bought a Wii game for myself. It was just a dust collector.

So, I traded it in and got myself a PS3. It is not collecting dust, I use it daily, I own 30+ games for it that I have all payed for myself, and that's on my part time, $10 an hour job. The PS3 makes me want to save up and buy games for it, because I know it performs well. And I will expect TR9 to perform well too. Tomb Raider is a hardcore gaming series. PS3 is a hardcore gaming console. They match. Wii is a casual gaming console, mostly owned by parents with annoying children, or people who just like to relax and play around with friends. Tomb Raider is not that kind of game.

sikasika18
03-07-10, 09:37

Play Tomb Raider on a Playstation, PC or X360/PS3

nothing against you at all but this made me laugh, the wii isn't even a gaming system???

well all my ps3/360 games seems to be on autopilot all the time while most of the nintendo games demand some skills from the player.
so in my book the wii is the only system right now that focus entirely on the gamplay.

lara c. fan
03-07-10, 09:40

Apart from, you know, the fact that it is. Isn't that just....horrifying? :)

Blackmoor
03-07-10, 10:55
The Wii is not terrible. I don't own one and don't want one but that's because it was not made for me. It was made for a different audience, people who don't play games and it succeeded at that.

And if you enjoy it, that's great. Don't let the opinions of people on the internet hurt your enjoyment of it. Hell, according to the internet, the PS3 has no games and PC gaming is dead.Lol, the PS3 doesn't have any games!! I'm seriously considering buying an Xbox 360 - not cause that has tonnes either, but together they have more. I'm beginning to really dislike exclusives. :p

---
Anyway, about the Wii - they can't port the next gen games onto this system because it hasn't got the computing power. They could still make a decent games for it - TRA style for example, and if there's significant money to made from it, then you can bet they'll do it.

But what most of us don't want on here is - a disproportionate amount of development time and money being spent on sorting out problems for a ported version of TR9 onto an inferior console (Wii). We're only human (selfish!) and want the best for our own gaming experience. :D

trlestew
03-07-10, 14:11
:)

TRA on the Wii was a PS2 port. The Wii is graphically supreior to the PS2. Now that we have moved up to better video cards, processors, and API's in PC's, the PS3, and X360... a wii port would not look anywhere near as good as the 'Current-gen" versions.

I didn't know that. Guess that'll ne helpful.

I meant evolve in what it is capable of. The Wii's graphical limitations just seem like a set back to me.

RE is a very notable franchise and loved by many unlike the TR seris. Also, their games in the Wii are either ports from the PS2, or made exclusively for the wii.

Ward Dragon
03-07-10, 14:43
RE is a very notable franchise and loved by many

Plus if there's one thing the Wii-mote is ideal for, it's pretending to be a gun :p

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f214/WraithStar/Nyko-Perfect-Shot-Wii-Pistol.jpg

Chocola teapot
03-07-10, 15:27

:vlol:

+1

WSOwen02
03-07-10, 17:11
Lol, the PS3 doesn't have any games!! I'm seriously considering buying an Xbox 360 - not cause that has tonnes either, but together they have more. I'm beginning to really dislike exclusives. :p

If you actually think either of those systems don't have any games then you obviously haven't been paying any attention.

Blackmoor
03-07-10, 20:52
If you actually think either of those systems don't have any games then you obviously haven't been paying any attention.Don't be so serious. ;)

jfjeep26
23-07-10, 09:19
On topic please and I'm quite glad to see that some people are beginning to see things kind of my way that the wii is indeed a gaming system, just a very different gaming system. On the other hand I understand why people don't like the wii, particularly after the disastrous ports of wii and ps2 games. This is where I think NFS and RE went smart in making low budget yet elemental exclusives, which is what I'd like to see with tomb raider, but oh well I've got Animal Crossing :ton:

No ones replied in like forever, no more defenses or arguments then, I'm like really serious. I'm still very firm about wii exclusive games, considering, the fact that porting from the more complex systems is virtually worthless, and fyi if you don't like throwing your limbs everywhere, there is an available classic controller, and the gamecube controller, that you can plug in and use with a certain selection of games, btw Samus is like twice as old as Lara and people still love her, and she used to be Nintendo exclusive. Plus it migt gain Lara a couple fans from the casual gaming community, and more publicity , means more buyers, and more buyers means more profit for CD AND SEE. And wii games don't cost as much to develop, with it's lesser quality. nintendo may be a side story/exclusive company . But really why shouldn't it get a chance, like a REAL REASON, not an opinion, such as it's not a gaming system, or otherwise, I'm the only one in my circle of friends , now deal with it or else!!!!