PDA

View Full Version : Good PS2 Game Recommendations?

igonge
01-07-10, 22:39
So, I have recently gotten my PS2 back and I have thinking I should go back through the last playstation generation and pick up any gems I may have missed. So I am asking you guys, your opinions, on what games you would recommend for the PS2.

Games I currently own:
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XII
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Resident Evil Code Veronica X
No One Lives Forever
Futurama
Alias

I have played an awful lot of games but these are the only ones that I have just now.

Don't put any TR games because I have them all on PC.

Thank You :)

trlestew
01-07-10, 22:47
I would add these 2
-Ico
-Burnout 3

igonge
01-07-10, 22:50
I've played Burnout 3 and I love it :D

Never tried Ico but I assume it's brilliant because I hear about it all the time.

Catracoth
01-07-10, 22:51
-Alias
-Dark Angel
-Stolen
-Hitman: Silent Assassin
-Hitman: Contracts

Five must haves in my opinion.

trlestew
Yes, it's only flaw is its length.

I think the EU version has extra content which wasn't the US version like a second ending, and being able to play the whole game as Yorda.
A new weapon too.

^ he already has Alias :o

WSOwen02
ICO
Ratchet series
Jak series
Sly series
God of War series

Tombreaper
01-07-10, 23:05
ICO
Shadow of the Colossus
Silent Hill 1 - 4
Resident Evil 4
Haunting Ground
Drakan
Siren 1 & 2
Jak and Daxter series
God of War 1 & 2
MGS 2 & 3
Gran Turismo 3 & 4
Primal
Okami
Half Life
Project Zero
Ratchet and Clank series

And some 1000 more :)

michaeldt
01-07-10, 23:32
I havent played it but I've hear GREAT things about God Of War 2 ;)

Legend of Lara
01-07-10, 23:42
Persona 3 FES
Persona 4

These are essential!

Ward Dragon
01-07-10, 23:56
I'll list all good games I can think of which are available on PS2 even if I played the PC or Xbox versions.

Games I like that other people have mentioned:

Primal
Ico
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy
God of War

Games I don't think anyone mentioned yet :p

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Psychonauts
Oni
Destroy All Humans
Beyond Good and Evil
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Warrior Within, and The Two Thrones
BloodRayne 1-2
Blood Omen 2 (Blood Omen 1 is a PS1 title but BO2 is relatively stand-alone)
Soul Reaver 2 (SR1 is a PS1 title and ends at "to be continued" which SR2 picks up at, but you could watch the cutscenes on Youtube if you can't get SR1 anywhere -- if you pick up SR2 you'll also want to get Legacy of Kain: Defiance which finishes off the story arc)

Also, the Dance Dance Revolution games are fun if you're inclined to try it out. I recommend DDR Extreme 2 :)

Tombreaper
01-07-10, 23:59
^Soul Reaver 2 is still a very good game.

Ward Dragon
02-07-10, 00:07
^Soul Reaver 2 is still a very good game.

I agree :D I was just giving fair warning that it's part two of a three-part story, and part of a five-game series overall :p Going by release date, the proper order is Blood Omen 1, Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2 (which is a sort of stand-alone flashback), and then Defiance. The two Blood Omen games can each be played by themselves, but SR/SR2/Defiance all go together and refer to events from the Blood Omen games as well. If PS1 games can't be found anymore, there's always Youtube for the cutscenes so you can understand what's going on in SR2 (although I recommend getting SR1 as well if that's an option since it has a lot of exploration and some pretty good puzzles which remind me of classic TR).

JonnyT
02-07-10, 00:18
Urm.. The games I mostly played on PS2 were the GTA Games, Sims Games & Desert Storm Games.

I have more but they're the most fun ones out of what I own, therefore I'd recommend them :p

igonge
02-07-10, 00:26
Persona 3 FES

Been eyeing this one up for a while. I've found it for 10 new. Pretty cheap considering the prices people are asking for it everywhere else.

Destroy All Humans
Beyond Good and Evil

I haven't played Destroy All Humans in aaages! I need to track down a copy.

I've got Beyond Good and Evil on PC. One of my fave games EVA!!

ICO
Shadow of the Colossus

Wow these are pretty expensive now :yik: Must be worth it!

I'm gonna search for more of your recommendations and buy some in the morning.

Thank You for your help. Please keep posting more suggestions too :D Imma have me a PS2 summer lol.

Tommy123
02-07-10, 00:30
ICO
Ratchet series
Jak series
Sly series
God of War series

really look into these, you will not be disapointed :D

igonge
02-07-10, 00:34
I love Sly. Haven't played them in years, and I tried God of War collection on PS3, meh it was alright.

amaris
02-07-10, 00:43
BloodRayne 1-2
guitar hero 1-2
Dark angel

and dozens more

DgoOdz94
02-07-10, 00:58
Silent Hill 1/2/3/Origins

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2

Legend of Lara
02-07-10, 01:34
Been eyeing this one up for a while. I've found it for 10 new. Pretty cheap considering the prices people are asking for it everywhere else.

You would not be disappointed. It's fun, stylish, challenging, and fantastic value.

WSOwen02
02-07-10, 03:50
Wow these are pretty expensive now :yik: Must be worth it!

I'm gonna search for more of your recommendations and buy some in the morning.

Thank You for your help. Please keep posting more suggestions too :D Imma have me a PS2 summer lol.

I believe it was ICO that started the "Are games art?" debate.

You may want to wait on buying those though. It is very likely that a Team ICO collection will be released on PS3 next year.

M.A.
02-07-10, 03:54
If I can only pick one game, EVER... it will be Shadow of Colossus... :tmb:

The first ever game that filled me with a sense of great awe all through the game.... :)

So, there....

igonge
02-07-10, 08:57
You may want to wait on buying those though. It is very likely that a Team ICO collection will be released on PS3 next year.

If that's the case I'll wait. I'd rather play in HD :cln:

Legend of Lara
02-07-10, 11:22
If that's, the case I'll wait. I'd rather play in HD :cln:

Be nicer to that comma.

If that's the case, I'll wait. I'd rather play in HD :cln:

:pi:

dcw123
02-07-10, 11:24
James Bond 007 : Everything Or Nothing .. Played it the other day and realised - Games with the PS2 quality of length and decency aren't made anymore .. its sad - many of the biggest series's began on PS2

Mystery-King
02-07-10, 11:39
Has been stated: Silent Hill series :D

And I can only think of one right now, Way of the Samurai. It looks beautiful and it has so much replay value as you decide which path you take and which samurai family you join and there are so many different endings you can get. The save system is a bit of a bugger though. You can only save at important events in the game but its a good game nevertheless! :D

igonge
02-07-10, 11:48
Be nicer to that comma.

:pi:

...I must've mashed it by accident. My grammar isn't usually that terrible :p

James Bond 007 : Everything Or Nothing

I have the Bond games on GameCube :D

Vinkula
02-07-10, 11:52
Absolutely Sly 2 & 3! 2 is better than 3, never played 1.

igonge
02-07-10, 11:53
Absolutely Sly 2 & 3! 2 is better than 3, never played 1.

I agree, and I haven't played Sly 1 either :p

Buffy87
02-07-10, 12:49
I am guessing that a few of these have been stated, but here are a few of my favourite PS2 games.

Resident Evil Code Veronica. ( I have Code Veronica X and I am not sure if the differences between the (no X) and (X) versions are major. As I understand it it is a few different cutscenes.)

Beyond Good and Evil ( has been mentioned)

X-Men Legends 1 and 2

Final Fantasy Series ( X, XII) ( apart from X2 which I disliked massively).

Bloodrayne ( mentioned)

Haunting Ground ( I couldn't get it in shops so found it on Ebay for around 10 pounds.)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer : Chaos Bleeds

Obscure 1 and 2

Broken Sword 3 - I think this was a Europe only PS2 release and your location says Scotland so you should be able to find it should you wish to.

Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 ( 3 is a bit meh in comparison, still enjoyable but the first 2 are far superior in my opinion).

Those are perhaps the games I play repeatedly. Or at least have played them more than once.

da tomb raider!
02-07-10, 13:08
One of the less well-known PS2 games that you might want to check out is Project Eden. It's a great action-adventure by none other than Core Design, and in some ways it's quite similar to Tomb Raider, with a focus on puzzles and exploration over combat, for instance. It's got some excellent multiplayer, too.

Also, if you like RPGs, how about trying Rogue Galaxy? Fantastic game in pretty much all aspects if you ask me, from the visuals and music, to storyline and gameplay. I strongly recommend it, especially since it's so cheap these days.

ViNi__
02-07-10, 13:20
Why not Kingdom Hearts RE: CoM? :p

the .Hack series is a must, too :tmb:
specially the G.U. :) (but if you really care about the story and such, I recommend you to play all games :D)

Legend of Lara
02-07-10, 20:57
Why not Kingdom Hearts RE: CoM? :p

Never got released in Europe.

Ward Dragon
02-07-10, 21:00
the .Hack series is a must, too :tmb:
specially the G.U. :) (but if you really care about the story and such, I recommend you to play all games :D)

I just bought the first .hack game (Infection) because I liked the .hack//twilight anime. Is G.U. a separate story from the main series?

yesrushdt
02-07-10, 22:58
One of the less well-known PS2 games that you might want to check out is Project Eden. It's a great action-adventure by none other than Core Design, and in some ways it's quite similar to Tomb Raider, with a focus on puzzles and exploration over combat, for instance. It's got some excellent multiplayer, too.

It's sad how that game gets so overlooked. One of my favorites of all time. It was also Core Design's second highest rated game at IGN (9.0 for the PC version....second only to the first TR). Certainly a game that every TR fan should try.

Ward Dragon
02-07-10, 23:18
It's sad how that game gets so overlooked. One of my favorites of all time. It was also Core Design's second highest rated game at IGN (9.0 for the PC version....second only to the first TR). Certainly a game that every TR fan should try.

Ah yes :D I played Project Eden on PC so I forgot it had a PS2 version. I really loved how the puzzles worked. (In single-player mode, you can choose which of the four characters you control and you can switch between them at will. You need to switch between them and have them do things to help each other in order to get past a lot of the obstacles :D) If the PS2 version is the same as PC then I definitely recommend this game as well :tmb:

voltz
03-07-10, 05:09
Might I suggest Shinobi and Nightshade?

Megalith
03-07-10, 13:49
I'm not going to repeat games that have already been mentioned so i'll just say:
Dragonquest VIII
Onimusha 1-4
Devil May Cry 1,3