PDA

View Full Version : Game Quality On The Rise :: Yahoo! Article

Catracoth
08-07-10, 16:26
http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/plugged-in/despite-industry-downturn-games-are-better-in-2010/1404454

The games industry might be feeling the effects of the global recession, but 2010's output of video games hasn't declined in quality, according to a report from review aggregation site Metacritic.com.

In fact, the reverse is true: games across every platform Metacritic tracks have posted higher average scores over the first half of 2010 than they did in the same period in 2009. Seven games so far this year have earned mean review scores of over 90%, including hits like Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2, and Super Mario Galaxy 2, which ranks among the best-reviewed games of all time.

Games on the Nintendo DS, the PlayStation 3, and the PC turned in the best review performances, with this year's aggregate score averaging 75.0% in each case. The Xbox 360, Wii, and PSP trailed slightly, all three having delivered significantly higher rates of "mixed" and "bad" games over the course of the year so far.

And although the games industry as a whole is down substantially on its 2009 performance, the decline is largely attributable to disappointing hardware sales; consumers are still buying games. Software sales in May, buoyed by the strong showing of critical smash Red Dead Redemption, outperformed last year's numbers by 4%.

It's not about to slow down, either. Although July holds few heavyweight releases, there's a good reason for that: nobody wants to share shelf space with this month's behemoth, real-time strategy sequel Starcraft 2, widely expected to be one of the year's top sellers.

And that's just this month. Check out the hits waiting for you later this summer (http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/games-of-summer-2010/games-of-summer-2010/1403552).

michaeldt
08-07-10, 16:28
good :tmb:

Lara Fan 4Life
08-07-10, 16:34
Awesome! :tmb:

larafan25
08-07-10, 16:38
I too felt as if games were getting better. I think we hit a generation where games lost some of their challeneg and length as well as replayability due to how intense creating them was. I think we are going to have a great generation of good quality games though.:)

Catracoth
08-07-10, 16:45
I've noticed it too, and it's quite a relief. Not to mention the upcoming games we've got - True Crime: Hong Kong, Mafia II, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Project Gotham Racing 5, Forza Motorsport 4 - just to name a few I'm looking forward to.

Lara Fan 4Life
08-07-10, 16:47
I think we hit a generation where games lost some of their challeneg and length

Kind of what Eidos wanted Legend - Underworld to be, short easy games, as gamers nowdays want that - Along the lines of what Ian said when Legend was released! Thankfully, Tomb Raider looks to be one of the games that will be getting better in quality, starting with GOL! :hug:

Catracoth
08-07-10, 17:08
I think we hit a generation where games lost some of their challeneg and length as well as replayability due to how intense creating them was.

That's a poor excuse, in my opinion. Game companies don't have a clue when it comes to their audience - they strive to make the most epic game of the year, but in all the commotion, forget some of the most crucial parts of a game: challenge, length, and replayability - and it's a damn shame. I think one of the few game companies to ever show consistency in succeeding to make not only a brilliant game, but hit all three parts is Rockstar Games.

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 17:12
I think one of the few game companies to ever show consistency in succeeding to make not only a brilliant game, but hit all three parts is Bioware.
I agree. :cool:

Catracoth
08-07-10, 17:34
BioWare sucks. :cool:

I agree :p. Just kidding. I'm yet to play a BioWare game, but I hear nothing but good things about Mass Effect and it's sequel. They're still too pricey to get right now, though.

da tomb raider!
08-07-10, 21:57
Game quality on the rise? I'd say expectations have been lowered. Games companies wouldn't have gotten away with short, glitchy games with poor implementation and poor execution a few years ago, but today it seems to be a different story...

ajrich17901
08-07-10, 22:34
In my opinion games have been getting worse ever since around 2007. Its beyond hard to find a good game these days, only games I enjoyed thus far are Uncharted 1 and 2, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5 and Tomb Raider Underworld+Expansions.

The problem is that they rush out so many sequals anymore that the quality isn't what it used to be. I'd love to have a game that takes more then a weekend to beat..

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 23:00
I definitely think the quality has gone up, games like Mass Effect 2, Assassin's Creed II, & Red Dead Redemption, & Batman: Arkham Asylum are proof of that. Plus many of the games that will be coming out, I think now that developers are finally getting used to developing for the new consoles we will see a lot of games with better quality.

Minty Mouth
08-07-10, 23:09
I picked a good time to get poor, didn't I?

Catracoth
08-07-10, 23:10
In my opinion games have been getting worse ever since around 2007. Its beyond hard to find a good game these days, only games I enjoyed thus far are Uncharted 1 and 2, Mirror's Edge, Resident Evil 5 and Tomb Raider Underworld+Expansions.

That's not really fair to say unless you've played every game that's been released in the past three years, which I doubt you have. Seeing as though your list of games are all from the same category, have you considered broadening your horizons? I mean, there's a lot more great action/adventure games available, but there's also many other genres that fans of action/adventure would enjoy. Take it from me - I broadened my horizons and found a treasure-trove of brilliant games.

ajrich17901
08-07-10, 23:34
That's not really fair to say unless you've played every game that's been released in the past three years, which I doubt you have. Seeing as though your list of games are all from the same category, have you considered broadening your horizons? I mean, there's a lot more great action/adventure games available, but there's also many other genres that fans of action/adventure would enjoy. Take it from me - I broadened my horizons and found a treasure-trove of brilliant games.

I have been trying to get into other series, heck I wasn't even impressed by Final Fantasy 13 and I love that series. Gonna try that red dead redemption and some others but I still stand by what I said =)

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:11
I still don't see how it's fair to make such a generalisation, but okay. Good to hear you're giving other games a go.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:20
I've noticed it too, and it's quite a relief. Not to mention the upcoming games we've got - True Crime: Hong Kong, Mafia II, Test Drive Unlimited 2, Project Gotham Racing 5, Forza Motorsport 4 - just to name a few I'm looking forward to.
I didnt think there was gonna be another PGR game after 4?

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:23
I didnt think there was gonna be another PGR game after 4?

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1048821p1.html

It's only a [rather likely] rumour right now, but it doesn't hurt to cross one's fingers.

larafan25
09-07-10, 01:25
FFXIII went down IMO. I haven't finished it, I am about to start the chapter where the game really opens up. However I heard that because of the new technology there wasn't all that time to put into making villages where you can do side missions and talk to random strangers.

I think this is normal. Tomb Raider hasn't had the best times comming into a new generation, I think tahts why now, with the second generation of current gen titles comming out, developers have learnt a little thing or two and are stepping up the game as well better understand the technology they are working with.:)

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:27
Would it not be wise to get a good understanding of the technology you're working with before you make something solid and put it on the market? That's like jumping in a car with no idea how to drive it.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:27
Game quality has gotten better, look at Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout, lots of other brilliant games like FEAR, Assassins Creed, Gears of War ( except both being too short)

robm_2007
09-07-10, 01:28
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/104/1048821p1.html

It's only a [rather likely] rumour right now, but it doesn't hurt to cross one's fingers.

It does if you have arthritis. :pi:
on a less serious note, there has been quite the period of crap games being made that basically appeal to mindless-shooter fanatics. judging from the games that are coming out and some that have released the last few Quarters, it looks like things are going to get much better; excluding the FPS that seem to get a stay on thier much-needed abortions.:mis:

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:28
It does if you have arthritis. :pi:

Touché.

Game quality has gotten better, look at Oblivion, Dragon Age, Fallout, lots of other brilliant games like FEAR, Assassins Creed, Gears of War ( except both being too short)

Compared to what, exactly? Any specific games that came before them, or simply the wave of games that came before them?

interstellardave
09-07-10, 01:29

Very wise! More people should do as you have done! ;)

I used to not like FPS's but now, while I don't play too many of them, I do appreciate some of the better ones out there. There are gems out there in all genres and styles.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:30
Very wise! More people should do as you have done! ;)

I used to not like FPS's but now, while I don't play too many of them, I do appreciate some of the better ones out there. There are gems out there in all genres and styles.

I used to only play a small selection of action/adventure and racing games, but I opened my eyes to sports, RPG, and other genres and I've not been disappointed yet. Damn near best thing I've ever done.

larafan25
09-07-10, 01:31
Would it not be wise to get a good understanding of the technology you're working with before you make something solid and put it on the market? That's like jumping in a car with no idea how to drive it.

It would be wise however...

1. They have been working in the industry for a long time most likely, so they have some confidence as well being able to learn new tech quickly is a must.

2. It usually takes them longer to create the game due to the technology being new. So ya they would have experimented and practiced/ learnt the new technology however some things you cannot be prepared for.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:31
Touché.

Compared to what, exactly? Any specific games that came before them, or simply the wave of games that came before them?
Hard to really compare, back in the day each generation of games had its classics or just brilliant titles and still do. I guess I cant really make a comparison in that regard.
I now like to read gaming mags to checkout what good games are out there or to be released.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:35
Hard to really compare, back in the day each generation of games had its classics or just brilliant titles and still do. I guess I cant really make a comparison in that regard.

Yeah, I'm with you there. I'd have to go back and look at the release dates and see what games were released the year prior to those games you listed. But overall, game quality is indeed improving (we've had more than enough proof, especially with Naughty Dog's breakthrough with the innovative Uncharted and it's sequel) with the exception for a few minor setbacks in certain genres.

It would be wise however...

1. They have been working in the industry for a long time most likely, so they have some confidence as well being able to learn new tech quickly is a must.

2. It usually takes them longer to create the game due to the technology being new. So ya they would have experimented and practiced/ learnt the new technology however some things you cannot be prepared for.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how this is relevant to my post :o.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:36
Mind you though theres PS2 games I hold in higher regard to some of todays games :p

ozzman
09-07-10, 01:37
only game i can't wait for this summer is Dead Rising 2 and possiblely The Sims 3 Console Version

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:38
Mind you though theres PS2 games I hold in higher regard to some of todays games :p

There's only a small handful for me, but I don't think they're better than some of today's games, I just enjoy them more.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:40
There's only a small handful for me, but I don't think they're better than some of today's games, I just enjoy them more.
Same here. Id like to think Ive developed taste in a bigger variety of games now, back in the day it was mainly shooters, now I love my RPG games :D

amaris
09-07-10, 01:41
THat's great news!! :D I'm so glad that even with the horrible economy here, the gaming indusry doesn't seem to suffer. :yah: great news for us game freaks then. :D :jmp::yah:

larafan25
09-07-10, 01:44
Yeah, I'm with you there. I'd have to go back and look at the release dates and see what games were released the year prior to those games you listed. But overall, game quality is indeed improving (we've had more than enough proof, especially with Naughty Dog's breakthrough with the innovative Uncharted and it's sequel) with the exception for a few minor setbacks in certain genres.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't see how this is relevant to my post :o.

Sorry, it's late, I don't even remember what your post is about.:p

edit: Oh wait!

You said that they should have some knowledge of the technology before they start work so they can adjust, and then I gave reasons as to why they could encounter problems even having practiced and understood the technology.:p

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:46
Same here. Id like to think Ive developed taste in a bigger variety of games now, back in the day it was mainly shooters, now I love my RPG games :D

Indeed. Although, I think the only RPG I've really played was Fable and Alpha Protocol.

I'm so glad that even with the horrible economy here, the gaming indusry doesn't seem to suffer.

Well, at $60 per game, how could they suffer?

Legend of Lara
09-07-10, 02:12
The lack of praise being showered at Bayonetta is... disturbing.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 02:19

Bayonetta was just Devil May Cry on speed. :/

Legend of Lara
09-07-10, 02:21
Bayonetta was just Devil May Cry on speed. :/

And demonic hair! It was so fun and imaginitive... D:

amaris
09-07-10, 02:56
Well, at $60 per game, how could they suffer?
This is true, but movie game and games that kinda are for little ones are about 19.99. :p but good point. :p

I love bayo, she is SMEXY!!! :cln: the game itself is fun, colorful, and it really just lets you live that wild fantasy of wanting to just **** everything up, you know? that time in your life where you can't listen to anyone and your always right? well Bayo is an outlet for that. :p

tranniversary119
09-07-10, 03:45
That's really great news :tmb:

Paddy
09-07-10, 03:57
That game is horribly repetitive. I enjoyed it initially on the demo but it did get rather boring.

Johnnay
09-07-10, 04:07
true in some games like TDU2, NFS HP, UC and UC2

games like Underworld(particularly its expansions) Need for speed Underground-Shift are very very poor in quality

Tommy123
09-07-10, 05:25
CooL! :jmp:

Legend of Lara
09-07-10, 11:06
That game is horribly repetitive. I enjoyed it initially on the demo but it did get rather boring.

I thought it was extremely fun throughout. And the epilogue was ridiculously epic.

Lara Fan 4Life
09-07-10, 11:23
games like Underworld(particularly its expansions)

But, Underworld was also rushed out for release to keep Eidos afloat, yet again, so they didn't have full time to max the quality the game could of had, and from what I've played and heard from other fans who've played the DLC, they thought the levels were great! ;)