PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Problem

irishhips
08-07-10, 18:51
Today, I was trying to play some PS1 game on my PS2, but it keep saiding "reading Disc" and maybe fail. Plus I put in a PS2 game (blue disc) in, same problem...but Normal PS2 disc are fine. I have the Big PS2. Any help? I'm thinking of buying another one, the slim-line one...

Catracoth
08-07-10, 18:52
Blue disc games aren't compatible with that PS2. You'll need the slim version. I had the same issue.

irishhips
08-07-10, 18:57
^^^Will that solve my PS1 and Blue PS2 Problems?

Mr GaGa
08-07-10, 19:00
^^^Will that solve my PS1 and Blue PS2 Problems?

I had that problem also. So I got the silver ps2 slim and everything worked fine:tmb:

Saphyre
08-07-10, 19:24
The original fat PS2 CAN play blue disc games. Most blue disc games were released before the slim-line was even thought of so it'd be a bit stupid if they were only compatible with the then unreleased slim-line and nothing else wouldn't it?

My fat PS2 had the same problem, it just didn't want to read PS1 games or blue disc PS2 games. (It used to, but one day if just stopped.) Its generally an issue with the lazer becoming dirty. You can either pay to have it cleaned (unless you know how to clean it yourself) or you can buy a new one. Considering PS2's are about 30 these days I'd just buy a new one!

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:31
The original fat PS2 CAN play blue disc games.

Yeah, the ORIGINAL as in, the very first one. Those models are hard to find these days. I got the fat one, but one of the later models which could not play the games.

Most blue disc games were released before the slim-line was even thought of so it'd be a bit stupid if they were only compatible with the slim-line and nothing else wouldn't it?

Like I said, the very first models were able to. The following ones couldn't. Sony fixed this problem with the PS2 Slim. Same issue with the PS3 :wve:.

Saphyre
08-07-10, 19:45
Yeah, the ORIGINAL as in, the very first one. Those models are hard to find these days. I got the fat one, but one of the later models which could not play the games.

Like I said, the very first models were able to. The following ones couldn't. Sony fixed this problem with the PS2 Slim. Same issue with the PS3 :wve:.

Weird, my friend and my cousin both have fat PS2's that were released years after the original, and they could and still can play blue disks just fine. *shrug* Maybe its cuz we're in the UK, even though I don't see how that'd effect anything!

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:46
Weird, my friend and my cousin both have fat PS2's that were released years after the original, and they could and still can play blue disks just fine. :wve:

How fortunate for them :wve:.

Saphyre
08-07-10, 19:47
How fortunate for you.

Please don't be condescending (even though I realize may have come across that way before I edited my post) I'm just explaining my experience of things just as you were. I'm not up to date with the gaming scene so sorry if I'm a little incorrect. Either way we both know that the slim can play all games, problem solved really.

EDIT: You edited your post and its less what I consider condesending now so I consider my post above a bit moot, sorry. :eek:

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:53
Yeah, I misread it and thought you said you owned the PS2, not your friend and cousin. Apologies for the confusion.

Saphyre
08-07-10, 19:55
Yeah, I misread it and thought you said you owned the PS2, not your friend and cousin. Apologies for the confusion.

No problem.

I'm surprised there wasn't more of an uproar from PS2 gamers when they bought a PS2 that wasn't an early model and bought a blue disk game, e.g. Tekken Tag, and realised they couldn't play it. Or maybe there was and I wasn't around to see it. I might do some searching in fact.

interstellardave
08-07-10, 19:56
The bottom line is that all PS2 models can and should play all PS2 discs. They were made for that purpose. You don't need any particular type of PS2, you just need one that works.

You gotta remember this is all old hardware at this point and many don't function as they should/used to.

thanatos
08-07-10, 19:58
just to clear things up, no PS2s have EVER been made that had a manufacturing fault that stopped the play of blue discs. The problem lies solely in the laser of the dvd drive, which like ALL dvd/cd/bluray lasers lose strength over time. Because of the way the PS2 lasers worked the first thing they would stop reading over time were CDS (PS1 games and blue disc PS2 games, as well as music cds of course.) to fix this you have to open up the drive and lower the resistance of the laser.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:59
The bottom line is that all PS2 models can and should play all PS2 discs.

False. My PS2 was never able to play the blue discs, and a lot of my friends had similar issues. One of my relatives got the slim PS2 and had no issues.

interstellardave
08-07-10, 20:00
False. My PS2 was never able to play the blue discs, and a lot of my friends had similar issues. One of my relatives got the slim PS2 and had no issues.

Then yours was faulty... but it wasn't designed to not play blue discs. ;) That's what people are theorizing, here, and it's not correct.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 20:01
Then yours was faulty... but it wasn't designed to not play blue discs. ;)

Oh?

just to clear things up, no PS2s have EVER been made that had a manufacturing fault that stopped the play of blue discs.

What's your explanation then, Dave?

Saphyre
08-07-10, 20:07
Oh?

Maybe you just had an unlucky experience. As for your friends, maybe there was a faulty batch or something and you all bought from the same one? Did you buy them close together? If not then this's a moot point I'm making i think.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 20:10
I'm not sure when and where they bought their PS2 consoles. Perhaps there was a batch shipped to the area that were faulty. I don't really know. But to this day, there's only been two games I had that had blue-backed discs, which I ended up finding regular disc versions years later anyway.

But to say that there has never been a PS2 made with a manufacture fault that disallows the play of blue discs is rather arrogant and ignorant together...

Saphyre
08-07-10, 20:22
I'm not sure when and where they bought their PS2 consoles. Perhaps there was a batch shipped to the area that were faulty. I don't really know. But to this day, there's only been two games I had that had blue-backed discs, which I ended up finding regular disc versions years later anyway.

But to say that there has never been a PS2 made with a manufacture fault that disallows the play of blue discs is rather arrogant and ignorant together...

I think that with any electronic device, no matter how complex, there are going to be the odd fault that will need looking over by the manufacturer. It happens with games themselves all the time doesn't it? Still the faults wouldn't have been done on purpose which I'm sure you know.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 20:30
I think that with any electronic device, no matter how complex, there are going to be the odd fault that will need looking over by the manufacturer. It happens with games themselves all the time doesn't it? Still the faults wouldn't have been done on purpose which I'm sure you know.

Indeed. It doesn't surprise me that there were some cracked eggs in the nest. But what surprises me is that Sony refused any refunds for faulty consoles back when they were released. Not to mention that today, there would be no point in trying to get the problem fixed - for one, nearly all games around here are regular discs, not blue. Secondly, Sony would argue that the lasers would deteriorate in quality over time, and that it's too late for a refund, even if you claim that you haven't used the console since purchase.

Game companies today.

Jami393
08-07-10, 21:00
If your PS2 is having problems playing PS1 and the Blue Disc PS2 games then your laser is on it's way out, so you going to have to buy a new one.

The same thing happend to me happend sort of, I couldn't play PS1 games on my old PS2 and PS2 games what said Compact Disc, and now it can't play most of my game because of the laser.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 21:02
If your PS2 is having problems playing PS1 and the Blue Disc PS2 games then your laser is on it's way out, so you going to have to buy a new one.

Like I said, it never was able to since the day I purchased it. I'm not buying a new PS2 - it isn't my fault that the PS2 was made crappily.

Saphyre
08-07-10, 21:06
Like I said, it never was able to since the day I purchased it. I'm not buying a new PS2 - it isn't my fault that the PS2 was made crappily.

How old is your PS2 may I ask? I had a theory a bit ago that a PS2 that couldn't read certain disks would eventually deteriorate until it couldn't read anything at all. If you've had your PS2 a while and its still working generally speaking then that could prove my thoughts wrong.

Johnnay
08-07-10, 21:07
The bottom line is that all PS2 models can and should play all PS2 discs. They were made for that purpose. You don't need any particular type of PS2, you just need one that works.

You gotta remember this is all old hardware at this point and many don't function as they should/used to.

Not really:). Depends on Region though(PAL, NTSC).

Jami393
08-07-10, 21:07

That might be your only option though, because at one point mine could play anything but now it can't, so at this moment in time I'm on my second PS2.

irishhips
08-07-10, 21:40
Getting a brand new Ps2 is rare these days in shops, you can get an used one for 50....to get a new one, maybe on ebay

Catracoth
08-07-10, 21:47
How old is your PS2 may I ask? I had a theory a bit ago that a PS2 that couldn't read certain disks would eventually deteriorate until it couldn't read anything at all. If you've had your PS2 a while and its still working generally speaking then that could prove my thoughts wrong.

It's ancient. About a decade old. It works perfectly.

interstellardave
08-07-10, 22:39
Oh?

I don't get what you mean... you quoted a post that said what mine said... so my explanation is that I agree with what Thanatos said! You got a bum unit from day 1, but people can't say "fat PS2's can't play blue PS2 discs" as if it's a fact. My fat PS2 never had problems with anything. A lot of people never did. All I was saying was that people are giving blanket advice about an issue that's hit or miss. They were talking as if NO fat PS2's could play the blue discs--and nothing could be further from the truth. These days you're probably better off with a PS2 that has seen little to no use, slim or not.

The PS2 did have a DRE problem which was just as widespread as the RROD for the 360, though... and a lot of people were ****ed about it. That's probably what you had. I would guess they quietly fixed that problem with the slim unit, too, but I don't know for sure. Sony never admitted the DRE problem... and yet people give them a pass and rail against MS!

Catracoth
08-07-10, 23:05
I don't get what you mean... you quoted a post that said what mine said...

You said my PS2 was faulty, but thenatos said that there has never been a faulty PS2 made. Evidently, there was.

You got a bum unit from day 1, but people can't say "fat PS2's can't play blue PS2 discs" as if it's a fact.

Well excuse me for not knowing any better. Given the fact that I couldn't play them on my PS2 and everyone else that had one that I had asked couldn't either, naturally I would think that those kinds of PS2s can't play blue discs. A thousand pardons for making a mistake!

interstellardave
09-07-10, 00:57
You said my PS2 was faulty, but thenatos said that there has never been a faulty PS2 made. Evidently, there was.

Well excuse me for not knowing any better. Given the fact that I couldn't play them on my PS2 and everyone else that had one that I had asked couldn't either, naturally I would think that those kinds of PS2s can't play blue discs. A thousand pardons for making a mistake!

Well you disagree with Thanatos more than you do me, then! And, if he meant to say that then I disagree too. Everything ever made has some kind of failure rate.

Don't take it personally... I wasn't trying to attack you personally; just talkin'... :p

There were a lot of PS2's made and there was too high a rate of problems... although I didn't have that problem and no-one I knew did; we were as lucky as you guys were unlucky, lol. Oddly enough I'm one of the few people I've ever heard of to get a faulty Gamecube (didn't work from the moment I plugged it in). Go figure!

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:03
Then yours was faulty... but it wasn't designed to not play blue discs. ;) That's what people are theorizing, here, and it's not correct.
I agree. My fat PS2 could play blue disc games originally but over time only silver ones would work, they are and have always been designed to play any PS2 game for sure but the fat PS2 consoles over time would stop reading them and same with PS1 games for mine. The slim PS2 doesnt have issues there imo.
I guess what Im saying is I agree with you in that PS2s were designed to play all games but I see where Catracoths coming from in that over time it does stop reading those discs.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 01:08
I agree. My fat PS2 could play blue disc games originally but over time only silver ones would work, they are and have always been designed to play any PS2 game for sure but the fat PS2 consoles over time would stop reading them and same with PS1 games for mine. The slim PS2 doesnt have issues there imo.

I guess what Im saying is I agree with you in that PS2s were designed to play all games but I see where Catracoths coming from in that over time it does stop reading those discs.

I've come to believe that, as well, during this conversation. I think the high rate of disk read problems (which, like the RROD, still wasn't experienced by most) led Sony to fix it in the Slim unit--without ever publically admitting that there was a problem! I do remember people complaining about it (although I didn't know it was mainly related to blue discs) and Sony basically saying nothing.

That's why I defend MS because they've bent over backwards to help people with the RROD, while Sony fanboys mock MS about it... forgetting Sonys' poor history of resolving their own problems.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:10
I've come to believe that, as well, during this conversation. I think the high rate of disk read problems (which, like the RROD, still wasn't experienced by most) led Sony to fix it in the Slim unit--without ever publically admitting that there was a problem! I do remember people complaining about it (although I didn't know it was mainly related to blue discs) and Sony basically saying nothing.

That's why I defend MS because they've bent over backwards to help people with the RROD, while Sony fanboys mock MS about it... forgetting Sonys' poor history of resolving their own problems.
Fair call too and agree with it :tmb:

WSOwen02
09-07-10, 01:45
Oddly enough I'm one of the few people I've ever heard of to get a faulty Gamecube (didn't work from the moment I plugged it in). Go figure!

My GameCube died two weeks after I got it.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:52
My GameCube died two weeks after I got it.

Now that's odd.

thanatos
09-07-10, 08:59
Since I repair electronics, including a vast quantity of consoles, calling me ignorant is way off base.
I never said no PS2s have ever been made without a manufacturing fault, no production line is perfect, but what I did say was that no specific model of PS2 has been produced with a common, mass produced fault.

Being unable to read CDs is, as I said, the result of a weak laser and is seen in ALL disc based consoles. If you and your friends all had this fault from purchase then you must have all been extremely unlucky to get systems with faulty lasers (or you're exaggerating to make a point, whatever). If you had taken the system back to the store shortly after purchase and told them it didn't read CDs they would have exchanged the unit or at least sent it back to Sony for a free repair. Complaining that Sony won't give you a replacement after you bought the console most likely five years ago or more is a bit pointless.

They didn't 'fix' anything with the PS2 slims as this kind of 'wearing away' of the laser is just all part and parcel of disc based systems, we've had to replace plenty of PS2 slim lasers in the past and have changed two PS3 blu-ray lasers just this week, not to mention all the 360 lasers we change.

too true, while the RROD is unacceptably high, and Microsoft only increased the warranty to lessen the quickly worsening PR, we see just as many PS3 YLODs these days and Sony won't even acknowledge the problem.

Paddy
09-07-10, 09:06
Didnt MS also change their xboxes to reduce the RROD too though??

Legend of Lara
09-07-10, 11:31
Blue discs are CDs. Silver ones are DVDs. Incidentally, my old, fat silver model can't read CDs anymore, including PS1 games. So, yeah.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 11:50
Since I repair electronics, including a vast quantity of consoles, calling me ignorant is way off base.
I never said no PS2s have ever been made without a manufacturing fault, no production line is perfect, but what I did say was that no specific model of PS2 has been produced with a common, mass produced fault.

Being unable to read CDs is, as I said, the result of a weak laser and is seen in ALL disc based consoles. If you and your friends all had this fault from purchase then you must have all been extremely unlucky to get systems with faulty lasers (or you're exaggerating to make a point, whatever). If you had taken the system back to the store shortly after purchase and told them it didn't read CDs they would have exchanged the unit or at least sent it back to Sony for a free repair. Complaining that Sony won't give you a replacement after you bought the console most likely five years ago or more is a bit pointless.

They didn't 'fix' anything with the PS2 slims as this kind of 'wearing away' of the laser is just all part and parcel of disc based systems, we've had to replace plenty of PS2 slim lasers in the past and have changed two PS3 blu-ray lasers just this week, not to mention all the 360 lasers we change.

too true, while the RROD is unacceptably high, and Microsoft only increased the warranty to lessen the quickly worsening PR, we see just as many PS3 YLODs these days and Sony won't even acknowledge the problem.

Interesting... that was my interpretation of your original post. Funny we don't hear enough about the YLOD on forums...

irishhips
09-07-10, 12:01
Blue discs are CDs. Silver ones are DVDs. Ah, That explains it then, that what's happening to me, I'm trying to play Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (PS2 Blue Disc) but it keeps reading it.

*laralover*
09-07-10, 12:02
I had a PS2 slim and it wouldnt play disks sometimes and froze. Never had a problem with the big one though had it since launch.

irishhips
09-07-10, 12:07
I had a PS2 slim and it wouldnt play disks sometimes and froze. Never had a problem with the big one though had it since launch.Ah nuts :(

Catracoth
09-07-10, 13:52
just to clear things up, no PS2s have EVER been made that had a manufacturing fault that stopped the play of blue discs.

My point still stands.

Alive_and_Funky
09-07-10, 14:50
You know, when my original PS2 started to struggle reading certain discs, I can't remember ever having a problem with the blue ones. I used to hear about people having issues with the blue discs reading, but I'm pretty sure that I never actually had a problem with the blue discs: only the other ones.

Also, my first PS2 had a problem with DVD Videos right from the start, as certain DVDs would end up freezing (always in the same place), yet wouldn't in other DVD players.

thanatos
09-07-10, 15:33
My point still stands.

Semantics. You said certain models were manufactured unable to play CDs, I was clearly replying to that comment, taking my quotes out of context doesn't prove your point.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 15:46
Semantics. You said certain models were manufactured unable to play CDs, I was clearly replying to that comment, taking my quotes out of context doesn't prove your point.

Actually, it wasn't clear. You replied to my post as a whole, not just a specific part of it. You didn't even quote the post and there were multiple posts before yours, so yet again, it wasn't clear. You can't submit a post and then expect people to know precisely what you're talking about. It's called being specific. You said:

To me, and everyone else I'm sure, that says simply, "Sony has never made a PS2 with a manufacturing fault." Which is false, obviously. From what I've read, I assume what you meant to say was, "Sony has never deliberately made a PS2 that can't read blue discs."

It's arrogant to be vague and then be rude when someone doesn't get your point.

thanatos
09-07-10, 16:15
Actually, it wasn't clear. You replied to my post as a whole, not just a specific part of it. You didn't even quote the post and there were multiple posts before yours, so yet again, it wasn't clear. You can't submit a post and then expect people to know precisely what you're talking about. It's called being specific. You said:

To me, and everyone else I'm sure, that says simply, "Sony has never made a PS2 with a manufacturing fault." Which is false, obviously. From what I've read, I assume what you meant to say was, "Sony has never deliberately made a PS2 that can't read blue discs."

It's arrogant to be vague and then be rude when someone doesn't get your point.

In that case I'm sorry for being rude.

cbragg09
09-07-10, 16:21
Blue disc games aren't compatible with that PS2. You'll need the slim version. I had the same issue.

Yeah they are, I had Tekken Tag, The Thing, and The Sims 1 and they both worked on my chunky PS2. For a while actually.

However, one small drop, or even any sort of semi rough jolts will cause it to stop blue backed games, then PS1 games, and mine eventually stopped playing DVDs and PS2 games entirely. I had also dropped it more than once.

Now I have a slim, and it plays everything.

So its all good.

EgyptianSoul
09-07-10, 17:11
I've had my fat PS2 since launch and even though sometimes I've read about people having issues with their own ones I've always known I can rely on my PS2.

Can't believe this piece of electronic equipment is soon 10 years old and it still works.

I think the warranty arrangement Microsoft has set up for Xbox 360 users is a very good thing. :) But Sony, now that old fat PS3's keep dropping like flies they choose to ignore customer complaints.

Because of the amount of old PS3's dying I'm sure mine won't live much longer either. When it does break I don't think I'll be getting a new one. I can game on my PC. :)

Seems to me these newest consoles are weaker to failures than the ones that came before them. Much weaker.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:15
Can't believe this piece of electronic equipment is soon 10 years old and it still works.

Pfft. That's nothing. My Nintendo 64 is 14 years old and still works :p!

EgyptianSoul
09-07-10, 17:17
Pfft. That's nothing. My Nintendo 64 is 14 years old and still works :p!

That's fantastic. :D I wish I had bought a N64 when I had the chance. I absolutely adore Perfect Dark. Few other games on the platform were very good too.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:18
I know, I still play it daily too! It's amazing how back in the day, consoles were made much better than the ones we have today. They had better games too :whi:.

EgyptianSoul
09-07-10, 17:19
I know, I still play it daily too! It's amazing how back in the day, consoles were made much better than the ones we have today. They had better games too :whi:.

I agree totally. :)

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:21
I think the only games I used to play on the N64 was GoldenEye, Perfect Dark, Crusin' World & Crusin' USA, Mario Party, Super Mario 64, and Banjo & Kazooie.

EgyptianSoul
09-07-10, 17:24
I've played Goldeneye too.

Plus if I remember correctly I used to play a game called Fighting Force with a friend. She's the one who had the N64. It was such a blast to play these games together and go absolutely mad. :D

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:28
Fighting Force was brilliant. I'm not quite sure if I played it on the N64 or PS1. But I had tried to remember the name of it for ages until I bought an original Tomb Raider on PS1 and saw the ad for FF on the back of the instruction manual and almost died of happiness.

I remember playing that gem like it was yesterday. It was so funny how the handguns were scarce and whenever I found one, I jumped for joy. My father and I used to play all the time, but could never get past the part after the elevator battle. I don't remember why though.

EgyptianSoul
09-07-10, 17:34
Fighting Force was brilliant. I'm not quite sure if I played it on the N64 or PS1. But I had tried to remember the name of it for ages until I bought an original Tomb Raider on PS1 and saw the ad for FF on the back of the instruction manual and almost died of happiness.

I remember playing that gem like it was yesterday. It was so funny how the handguns were scarce and whenever I found one, I jumped for joy. My father and I used to play all the time, but could never get past the part after the elevator battle. I don't remember why though.

Me and my friend completed the game once if my memory serves me. Then we just continued to fail miserably. I think the lift was quite tough, I can't remember anymore. I was so young.

*laralover*
09-07-10, 18:39
Yeah my N64 still works and my Dreamcast. Actually all my consoles work. The only one thats failed on me so far is my 360. Im still waiting for my PS3 to die though :p

Alive_and_Funky
09-07-10, 19:00
Seems to me these newest consoles are weaker to failures than the ones that came before them. Much weaker.
I know, I still play it daily too! It's amazing how back in the day, consoles were made much better than the ones we have today.
Well, as each console generation comes along, the consoles generally become more complicated to build, so I guess it makes sense.