PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous problem with the new XBOX 360

Dominic_raider
08-07-10, 18:53
watch/v/qblBGTtMMhY

This is perhaps the most EPIC problem in a console ever made :( Damn, can't they believe they haven't corrected that, how can such thing even happen?:mad:

Mr GaGa
08-07-10, 18:55
the guy turned the console over while the disc was in it. Every console says do not move console with disc inserted. So I see no problem:)

Catracoth
08-07-10, 18:57
Lulz. Common sense would dictate not to move the console around when the disc is in there - it will move off the tray and mess up. I'm glad it does this - serves these idiots right.

Ivo
08-07-10, 18:58
the guy turned the console over while the disc was in it. Every console says do not move console with disc inserted. So I see no problem:)You're right, he shouldn't have done that. :)
Though I think this shouldn't happen this fast. ;)

MangelinaJolie
08-07-10, 18:58
Common sense indeed. Not to mention this is a problem in the old 360 as well, so it isn't exclusive to the new console.

Gladous
08-07-10, 18:59
Common sense is not common.

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 19:05
^What they all said, it's common sense not to move the console while it's on with a disc inside.

We don't do it with any of the consoles in our home, we remove the disc and turn off the consoles before even attempting to move them.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:07
I wonder who'll be paying for a replacement Alan Wake disc for the owner?

We don't do it with any of the consoles in our home, we remove the disc and turn off the consoles before even attempting to move them.

Indeed. Even with me, I always return to the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 Menu before removing a disc. I shouted at my boyfriend once because he ejected the 360 disc before returning to the dashboard. Not sure if it's detrimental, but you can't be too sure.

Gladous
08-07-10, 19:07
^What they all said, it's common sense not to move the console while it's on with a disc inside.

Exactly. That guy lifted the whole console! "Herp! Derp! I'm going to lift up the console while it's still on! I R Dumb!" :rolleyes:

lara c. fan
08-07-10, 19:09
I think that problem happens far less with the PS3 and the Wii.

..Although, I've never heard many bad things about the Wii and its discs survival rate.

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 19:11
Indeed. Even with me, I always return to the Xbox Dashboard or the PS3 Menu before removing a disc. I shouted at my boyfriend once because he ejected the 360 disc before returning to the dashboard. Not sure if it's detrimental, but you can't be too sure.
Oh trust me, my younger brother has faced a few of my lectures when he did that. :p

..Although, I've never heard many bad things about the Wii and its discs survival rate.
I don't care if it happens less (I wouldn't know because we never attempt it), we still don't do it with our PS3 & Wii.

larafan25
08-07-10, 19:12
WOW didn't know this happened, perhaps I will leanr my lesson.:p

lara c. fan
08-07-10, 19:14
I don't care if it happens less (I wouldn't know because we never attempt it), we still don't do it with our PS3 & Wii.

Yeah, I still wouldn't recommend it, of course. You would think Microsoft would have taken note and added some pads around the disk drive to stop that happening as much though, because all you would get are angry people saying the 360 ruined their discs and they want x amount of money in compensation.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:16

It happens with the PS3 as much as it does the 360. I can't speak for the Wii, though.

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 19:16
....because all you would get are angry people saying the 360 ruined their discs and they want x amount of money in compensation.

And the people wouldn't get the money because there is a sticker on the front of the slim (you can see it in the video and they mention it) that tells them not to move the console while the disc is inside.

lara c. fan
08-07-10, 19:18
It happens with the PS3 as much as it does the 360. I can't speak for the Wii, though.
Ah, my apologies. I haven't really heard of it happening with the PS3, which is why I put it there :p
And the people wouldn't get the money because there is a sticker on the front of the slim (you can see it in the video and they mention it) that tells them not to move the console while the disc is inside.

Still going to get those with the "fat" 360 who tilt it for the first time.

ajrich17901
08-07-10, 19:21
What moron actually moves the console while a game is in there to begin with? Lesson learned I say lmao.

Carbonek_0051
08-07-10, 19:21
Still going to get those with the "fat" 360 who tilt it for the first time.

I'm pretty sure the old ones came with a warning to, not as a sticker though. I've never heard of a case of someone asking MS to replace their discs.

lara c. fan
08-07-10, 19:22
I'm pretty sure the old ones came with a warning to, not as a sticker though. I've never heard of a case of someone asking MS to replace their discs.

There's always a first time for everything :p

Lee croft
08-07-10, 19:25
What moron actually moves the console while a game is in there to begin with? Lesson learned I say lmao.

Agreed.

Its a big no, no

Catracoth
08-07-10, 19:30
I've never heard of a case of someone asking MS to replace their discs.

I have. There was a Yahoo! article about it. Some guy in Nevada or some podunk area did this and demanded that Microsoft replace the discs on account of the "faulty console." They asked him if he moved the console while the game was being played. He answered yes. Microsoft basically said, "That's our problem, why?"

I rofled for hours.

interstellardave
08-07-10, 19:32
You shouldn't move anything that has a disc tray while you have discs in it. End of story. I also wouldn't recommend moving front loaders like the PS3 with discs in it, either. If something happens with the PS3 in that case you'll have a super hard time retrieving the disc.

Alpharaider47
08-07-10, 19:38
The discs getting destroyed is a result of user error, if I remember right they tell you in the manual not to move the console while it's running anyways. Plus it's kind of a common sense thing I'd think, but well that's not so popular these days now is it?

interstellardave
08-07-10, 19:52
It's people like these that force manufacturers to put warning labels on everything, for ever possibility, to cover their butts against ever worsening stupidity in our societies!

Alpharaider47
08-07-10, 20:59
It's people like these that force manufacturers to put warning labels on everything, for ever possibility, to cover their butts against ever worsening stupidity in our societies!

A friend of mine says we should just remove the warning labels from everything and let the problem sort itself out :vlol:

Catracoth
08-07-10, 21:00

Manufacturers shouldn't have to put warning labels on something when the error they're warning consumers about could only be encountered through ignorance. That's the consumer's fault.

DgoOdz94
08-07-10, 21:09
And I thought people couldn't be more stupid... :rolleyes:

The last thing needed is for the guy who moved it to say "Oh! Let's see if it's more mobile this time!!! OMFG IT'S NOT!"

Ward Dragon
08-07-10, 21:15
I definitely agree that the guy was an idiot for moving the console like that while the disc was in the drive. However I wonder why the consoles don't use disc-drives with the spindle in the center to keep the disc in place, especially if they intend the console to stand on its side anyway. It seems like such a simple thing, and I don't think it would significantly affect the weight of the console or cost that much extra to do, so why do they keep using disc drives that don't actually hold the disc in place? :confused:

Love2Raid
08-07-10, 21:53
I definitely agree that the guy was an idiot for moving the console like that while the disc was in the drive. However I wonder why the consoles don't use disc-drives with the spindle in the center to keep the disc in place, especially if they intend the console to stand on its side anyway. It seems like such a simple thing, and I don't think it would significantly affect the weight of the console or cost that much extra to do, so why do they keep using disc drives that don't actually hold the disc in place? :confused:

Maybe because people would then violently try to get the disk out of the tray, and blame it on the console when it breaks. >_>

Legend of Lara
08-07-10, 21:55
Don't tilt the console, dumbass! Jeez, you'd think he knew better...

Ward Dragon
08-07-10, 22:26
Maybe because people would then violently try to get the disk out of the tray, and blame it on the console when it breaks. >_>

Ah, so bottom line is people are stupid and will break things no matter what they do? :p Now that you mention it, it makes sense. When I bought my PS2 slim several years ago, the clerk went through a spiel explaining to me how to put discs into it and remove discs from it because of the spindle. I was just looking at him in confusion wondering how else would anyone do it and why did he need to explain this to me? :p (In case someone has never had a disc drive with a spindle before, it's just like the standard case the disc comes in so you put the disc on and take it off the same way)

Love2Raid
08-07-10, 22:34
Haha, yes that's right! :p

As if people would take the disk by one edge and pull it upwards from the disk tray. I think some people would... :o

Phlip
08-07-10, 22:35
Lulz. Common sense would dictate not to move the console around when the disc is in there - it will move off the tray and mess up. I'm glad it does this - serves these idiots right.

I wouldn't have known. :vlol: :o

Consoles these days are just way too fragile and unreliable. Sad, really. =/

Dominic_raider
08-07-10, 22:46
the guy turned the console over while the disc was in it. Every console says do not move console with disc inserted. So I see no problem:)

I've never heard of that in any other console besides XBOX 360. Anyway, even so it shouldn't happen so oftenly. :S

What everyone is saying is that the guy shouldn't have that because it's common sense. I disagree. IF this happens it should be corrected, not get worse. I see this happened aswell with the previous XBOX 360, so MS shoudl have tried to correct this, instead of making it worse and put warning lablels.

interstellardave
08-07-10, 23:03
I've never heard of that in any other console besides XBOX 360. Anyway, even so it shouldn't happen so oftenly. :S

What everyone is saying is that the guy shouldn't have that because it's common sense. I disagree. IF this happens it should be corrected, not get worse. I see this happened aswell with the previous XBOX 360, so MS shoudl have tried to correct this, instead of making it worse and put warning lablels.

You know what happens with the Wii and PS3 a whole lot more often than the 360? Discs get stuck in them. And they aren't easy to get out, damaged or not.

Any kind of disc drive has inherent problems that could arise--particularly with misuse. NO console manufacturer recommends you to move the unit with a disc inside--even when the console isn't running. Things can go wrong, and they aren't liable for that 'cause it's misuse. These consoles aren't designed to be portable so you gotta be careful when moving them.

Catracoth
08-07-10, 23:07
Consoles these days are just way too fragile and unreliable. Sad, really. =/

It isn't the console or the manufacturer's fault. I don't know why it isn't common knowledge that you wouldn't move a console around when you're playing a game. You wouldn't fling about a pot when it's boiling water, would you?

Phlip
08-07-10, 23:32
It isn't the console or the manufacturer's fault. I don't know why it isn't common knowledge that you wouldn't move a console around when you're playing a game. You wouldn't fling about a pot when it's boiling water, would you?

Oh playing a game? I thought everyone meant when the disk was in.

Ward Dragon
08-07-10, 23:40

You shouldn't move a console with a disc in it anyway, but the real problem is moving the console while it is on and reading the disc (which the guys in the video demonstrated will totally destroy the disc).

Paddy
09-07-10, 00:11
Shouldnt be moving a console with a disc in it, then again Microsoft shouldve tried to make changes regarding that, its faulty design imo.

robm_2007
09-07-10, 01:02
Shouldnt be moving a console with a disc in it, then again Microsoft shouldve tried to make changes regarding that, its faulty design imo.

i agree.

thats like having a Self-Destruct botton on your car, and then you call someone an idiot because they pressed it on accident. :p but that guy so did it on purpose. "Let's see if this will still break...." DUH, of course it will!

he did it to show ppl if the problem was still there; and he's just a plain dick.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 01:02

Do you have a 5 disc dvd player, by chance? Move that with discs in it, running or not, and get back to me! :p I moved mine, forgetting I had discs in it and they slid right out of place inside the unit... I had a hard time getting them all out and scratches did occur; and it wasn't even running.

All disc drives have problems that can happen given the right circumstances, regardless of drive manufacturer or in what device the drive is in.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:07
Do you have a 5 disc dvd player, by chance? Move that with discs in it, running or not, and get back to me! :p I moved mine, forgetting I had discs in it and they slid right out of place inside the unit... I had a hard time getting them all out and scratches did occur; and it wasn't even running.

All disc drives have problems that can happen given the right circumstances, regardless of drive manufacturer or in what device the drive is in.
No doubt most cd or dvd players that gets moved can cause that but with the 360 you move it slightly and it ****s up your cd, fair enough common sense should be applied but still at least with the slim PS2 you dont have to worry about that, Ive had to move mine a couple times with a cd running and it had no scratches after it.

Tombreaper
09-07-10, 01:07
I still don't trust the X360 DVD drives, even if you never move the console with a disc in the drive.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:09
Wonder if MS had considered the possibility of a 360 with the same way of putting a cd in as the slim ps2. If they did that it might reduce the chance of ****ing your cd should it be moved.

Tombreaper
09-07-10, 01:11
Wonder if MS had considered the possibility of a 360 with the same way of putting a cd in as the slim ps2. If they did that it might reduce the chance of ****ing your cd should it be moved.

That's too expensive, MS still uses the cheapest made in China drives.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 01:12
No doubt most cd or dvd players that gets moved can cause that but with the 360 you move it slightly and it ****s up your cd, fair enough common sense should be applied but still at least with the slim PS2 you dont have to worry about that, Ive had to move mine a couple times with a cd running and it had no scratches after it.

Those types of drives are probably safer in that respect, but they must not work as well in other aspects... both Nintendo and Sony had that style drive with the PS2 and Gamecube but, this Gen, they do not. This gen they have the front-load style drives which come with their own problems (when discs get stuck in there you have to basically open up the console to get 'em out).

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:13

Moreso when the disc is spinning round as it's being read, like Jenni said.

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:16
Those types of drives are probably safer in that respect, but they must not work as well in other aspects... both Nintendo and Sony had that style drive with the PS2 and Gamecube but, this Gen, they do not. This gen they have the front-load style drives which come with their own problems (when discs get stuck in there you have to basically open up the console to get 'em out).
Thats what I mean it has more advantages then the front load drives. If the console does die you can get the cd out of the console if you can pop open the drive lid.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 01:24
The thing I always think about during these types of conversations is how many people own these consoles, like the 360, and never have problems and just have a good time. It's by far the vast majority of people... but the people with gripes (legit or not) get all the press! It gives the appearance of things being worse than they are, as a whole.

Personally I've given my money to Sony, MS, and Nintendo and I'm happy with all 3. I've had some problems but they were resolved to my satisfaction... but I'd never blame any of them for something caused by me doing something I was told not to do; that's the agreement I have with them when I put my money down. ;)

Paddy
09-07-10, 01:29
The thing I always think about during these types of conversations is how many people own these consoles, like the 360, and never have problems and just have a good time. It's by far the vast majority of people... but the people with gripes (legit or not) get all the press! It gives the appearance of things being worse than they are, as a whole.

Personally I've given my money to Sony, MS, and Nintendo and I'm happy with all 3. I've had some problems but they were resolved to my satisfaction... but I'd never blame any of them for something caused by me doing something I was told not to do; that's the agreement I have with them when I put my money down. ;)
Lol same here. Ive had no gripes with my xbox except when I put an extra cooling fan on it in Summer which nearly gave RROD.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:31

I only chuckle because more often than not, the issues that are being reported are either rare, or the consumer's fault because of poor judgement or lack of [un]common sense.

Ward Dragon
09-07-10, 01:38

I think Microsoft is just being cheap, Nintendo wants the Wii to be as small as possible, and I don't know what Sony's excuse is :p

I know people shouldn't move the console with a disc in it, but I still feel like the console manufacturers should do everything that they can to make the console as durable as possible. People make mistakes and a silly movement shouldn't ruin the console and/or game disc. Laptops get moved with discs in them all the time and it's very rare for a disc to get damaged. It's a shoddy design if the console is that susceptible to damaging discs. Even the original 360 is not as bad as this Slim appears to be when it comes to that.

For example, the past week or so my brother's original white 360 kept freezing and he didn't know what was causing it. I read that the power brick can overheat independent of the console itself so I asked where the power brick was. Our other brother was playing a game and without thinking he lifted the console so that we could reach the power brick behind it. We both screamed at him :p But anyway, it may have scratched the disc a bit (I'm not really sure since I didn't get to see it up close) but the game definitely still worked. Incidentally since we brought the power brick fully out into the open the console hasn't frozen again so apparently that was the problem after all.

amaris
09-07-10, 01:44
well, i'm glad that the PS3 doesn't have any major problems like that, but i still am not gonna move my console while i have a game running, thanks but no. :p I like all my games too much to take the risk. :p

Catracoth
09-07-10, 01:51
I think Microsoft is just being cheap, Nintendo wants the Wii to be as small as possible, and I don't know what Sony's excuse is :p

Nintendo must think people are going to bring their Wii to work or something, so the console needs to be the size of a pad of paper.

I know people shouldn't move the console with a disc in it, but I still feel like the console manufacturers should do everything that they can to make the console as durable as possible. People make mistakes and a silly movement shouldn't ruin the console and/or game disc. Laptops get moved with discs in them all the time and it's very rare for a disc to get damaged. It's a shoddy design if the console is that susceptible to damaging discs. Even the original 360 is not as bad as this Slim appears to be when it comes to that.

I don't think it's the manufacturer's responsibility to cater to the stupidity of their customers, but yes, you make a fine point. I mean, a little durability would be nice - I mean, a two inch drop shouldn't break the console, despite how heavy it is. I know the PS3 is a bit more durable than the 360 and the Wii is more durable than the two of them combined, but let's make them out of some stronger material. But the original 360 has just enough issues with moving the console while a disk is in as does the Slim - the dude in the video just went buck wild.

I remember I made the mistake of moving the console while the disc was inside - I wasn't even moving it sideways, I just wanted to adjust the console so it wasn't jetting out of my entertainment centre, and sure enough, I heard the unholy scratching sound. Upon removal of the disc, my copy of Hitman: Blood Money had a ring like Saturn. But the toothpaste trick fixed that right up, thank goodness - it rendered the You Better Watch Out mission unplayable until I fixed it. Still, I was glad that was the only error the scratch had caused.

Dominic_raider
09-07-10, 12:00
Even though it's common sense, is that really suposed to happen often? The guy said it "This was a problem in the previous version of the XBOX 360, but now it is a serious problem." It makes no sense, if it happened before from time to time, in the version it makes no sense that it happens more often than the previous one. So I think it really is a problem from MS. They appear to not even cared to prevent it from happen so often. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nintendo must think people are going to bring their Wii to work or something, so the console needs to be the size of a pad of paper.

I don't think it's the manufacturer's responsibility to cater to the stupidity of their customers, but yes, you make a fine point. I mean, a little durability would be nice - I mean, a two inch drop shouldn't break the console, despite how heavy it is. I know the PS3 is a bit more durable than the 360 and the Wii is more durable than the two of them combined, but let's make them out of some stronger material. But the original 360 has just enough issues with moving the console while a disk is in as does the Slim - the dude in the video just went buck wild.

I remember I made the mistake of moving the console while the disc was inside - I wasn't even moving it sideways, I just wanted to adjust the console so it wasn't jetting out of my entertainment centre, and sure enough, I heard the unholy scratching sound. Upon removal of the disc, my copy of Hitman: Blood Money had a ring like Saturn. But the toothpaste trick fixed that right up, thank goodness - it rendered the You Better Watch Out mission unplayable until I fixed it. Still, I was glad that was the only error the scratch had caused.

See? That happened to you, it shouldn't happen so often. I mean tilting the console maybe is an acceptable reason for that to happen, but to try to adjust it and then this happen, it's pathetic. I agree with what Ward Dragon said.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 12:02
How do any of us know that it's happening "more often" now? Because this guy says so... a guy who is doing ridiculous things to get attention?

Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet. EVERYTHING.

Dominic_raider
09-07-10, 12:11
How do any of us know that it's happening "more often" now? Because this guy says so... a guy who is doing ridiculous things to get attention?

Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet. EVERYTHING.

Have you heard the video? The guy who shout "Don't do that" he also said that it was a problem that happened in the previous but that now it is a serious problem and that it happens more often.

I don't understand what you mean by "Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet. EVERYTHING"

thanatos
09-07-10, 12:15
Annoying and should have been sorted with this iteration of Xbox? yes.

Dangerous? No

interstellardave
09-07-10, 12:21
Have you heard the video? The guy who shout "Don't do that" he also said that it was a problem that happened in the previous but that now it is a serious problem and that it happens more often.

I don't understand what you mean by "Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet. EVERYTHING"

Yeah... but why do you assume he's some kind of authority on the issue? Plus he does something with the console that no-one in their right mind would do on purpose.

As for everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet... that ought to be evident to anyone these days. Just think about it. Anyone in the world can post a video on the net to be seen by millions. So I could post a video depicting almost anything--and making some kind of possibly totally baseless statements--and yet millions would soon be talking about it as if it's something to be taken seriously.

Atlantean-Squid
09-07-10, 13:09
I'm always moving my PC and laptop (and Wii) around while they have discs inside, and the discs still work.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 13:57
How do any of us know that it's happening "more often" now? Because this guy says so... a guy who is doing ridiculous things to get attention? Everything gets blown out of proportion on the internet. EVERYTHING.

I couldn't agree more. Do we know how many people populate the entire world? A handful of people on an internet forum and a guy on a YouTube video isn't even close to a majority, & with this knowledge, it's impossible to say it's happening more often. No one knows how often it happens. For all we know, it could be rare.

There has been 40 million Xbox 360 consoles sold as of three months ago. Again, a small handful of issues compared to how many have been sold does not count as a majority.

Paddy
09-07-10, 14:03
Couldnt care less how selfish this sounds but as long as my console dont break in anyway, thats all I give a **** about :p

Catracoth
09-07-10, 14:08
I'm right on your boat, Paddy.

Samsdad
09-07-10, 14:08
I'm always moving my PC and laptop (and Wii) around while they have discs inside, and the discs still work.

How much did you pay for your PC and laptop? MS probably could have put the same type of drives, that you see in laptops, into the 360 but then the cost would have gone up.

I have heard that Bluray discs are more scratch resistant than CDs which may be why you do not hear about this problem as much with trhe PS3, but that is also why the PS3 started at $600 and has only just recently began to be profitable. Sony had to do some really drastic cost cutting to just stay competitive and it hurt them profitwise in a big way.

Ward Dragon
09-07-10, 15:02
Yeah... but why do you assume he's some kind of authority on the issue?

I thought that video was at E3 and the guy yelling "Don't do that!" was a Microsoft employee demoing the console. The Microsoft guy also pointed out the new warning sticker and didn't contradict Destructoid for saying the problem is bigger with the Slim as compared to the fat 360. Maybe not a large percentage of owners will ever scratch a disc, but I still think it's a design flaw if Microsoft knows it happens and their solution is to just put a warning sticker on it instead of fixing it :p

Dominic_raider
09-07-10, 17:03
I thought that video was at E3 and the guy yelling "Don't do that!" was a Microsoft employee demoing the console. The Microsoft guy also pointed out the new warning sticker and didn't contradict Destructoid for saying the problem is bigger with the Slim as compared to the fat 360. Maybe not a large percentage of owners will ever scratch a disc, but I still think it's a design flaw if Microsoft knows it happens and their solution is to just put a warning sticker on it instead of fixing it :p

Exactly, that's what I understood from the video aswell.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:08

What do you expect from Microsoft? They're also aware of the RRoD problems and still give out crap warranties knowing that the RRoD will happen in due time, so they can make money off of repairs.

Samsdad
09-07-10, 17:23
What do you expect from Microsoft? They're also aware of the RRoD problems and still give out crap warranties knowing that the RRoD will happen in due time, so they can make money off of repairs.

I seriously doubt that MS made any money out of fixing RROD repairs. My understanding of the RROD issue was that there was aa three year period from time of purchase in which MS would fix a console for RROD for free.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:26
I seriously doubt that MS made any money out of fixing RROD repairs. My understanding of the RROD issue was that there was aa three year period from time of purchase in which MS would fix a console for RROD for free.

I was just discussing this in the warranty thread, how coincidental :p. The three year warranty seems to only apply to certain people - I was never given this warranty in all my time being an Xbox 360 owner.

But I could just be talking out of my hat - I seem to be the only person to ever experience issues with getting a console fixed.

voltz
09-07-10, 17:33
checked vid and concluded it's very much the same as the original 360.

BONUS, PS3 test included!

-CYuyJ4L7aE

Samsdad
09-07-10, 17:37
I was just discussing this in the warranty thread, how coincidental :p. The three year warranty seems to only apply to certain people - I was never given this warranty in all my time being an Xbox 360 owner.

But I could just be talking out of my hat - I seem to be the only person to ever experience issues with getting a console fixed.

As long as you are the registered owner of the 360, the three year warranty applies. If you are not the registered owner that might be a different issue. Not all 360 failures are RRODs and those do not fall under the three year extended warranty.

My experience is that electronics crap out on you. My wife's Apple Powerbook died after 6 months, our HP desktop died after about a year. and I lost count of the PS2's that my son went through. The standard wartranties are OK but if you can afford it, the extended warranties can be money savers in the long run.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 18:07
And I am going to post the exact same link as I did in the Microsoft Warranty threat:

Also a fun one, just to proof how corrupt Microsoft actually is;
There is proof that the x360 scratches the dvds you put in there,
Kassa confronted them with the facts ( videos of their tests and those ), and yet they still refuse that it's Microsoft's fault.
They keep saying; That is the buyer's responsibility. If the XBox 360 is in a stable position it should not be able to scratch the discs.
They also refuse to take back the consoles for repair.

Link (http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkassa.vara.nl%2Ftv%2Fafspeelpagina% 2Ffragment%2Fcollectieve-actie-krassen-op-discs-door-microsoft-xbox-360%2Fspeel%2F1%2F)

Kassa has done mutiple tests and it seems that even in the most stable position AND environment (in a studio ) it would still scratch the discs..

There is also a video that shows exactly what and how it scratches the disc... it's the lens, that doesn't have a special protection rubber on it... while other models of that DVD drive DO have that rubber on it.(<sounds wrong.. I know. :pi: )

Catracoth
09-07-10, 18:12
As long as you are the registered owner of the 360, the three year warranty applies. If you are not the registered owner that might be a different issue. Not all 360 failures are RRODs and those do not fall under the three year extended warranty.

Yeah, I just realised that I was looking at a repair for the wrong kind of error :p.

interstellardave
09-07-10, 18:15
^^^ Your link didn't work for me, Kurtis... :confused:

All the games I've played in my 360... and it's been a lot... I've never gotten scratches. Bottom line is I don't think I believe people who say the games are scratched when their 360 hasn't been moved all around.

In most cases I think it's people not taking care of their stuff!

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 18:18
All the games I've played in my 360... and it's been a lot... I've never gotten scratches. Bottom line is I don't think I believe people who say the games are scratched when their 360 hasn't been moved all around.

:tmb:

Ward Dragon
09-07-10, 18:44
BONUS, PS3 test included!

Holy crap, Bluray discs are silver? :eek: For some reason I always thought they were blue :vlol: Also, I don't think it makes much difference but I did notice he was gentler with the PS3 and didn't knock it around as much :pi:

Yes, Microsoft also covers the E74 error as part of the RROD warranty extension. However the new Slim 360's no longer display errors using the rings and Microsoft has said that they will not offer any extended warranties for Slim general hardware failures (which is basically what the RROD indicates on fat 360's). I'm sure that will change if they receive a significant number of complaints or get sued over it, but until then it seems worrisome that they aren't providing the same warranty for the Slim.

I've never had a game scratch on me either, at least not that I noticed. My 360 Elite is lying flat (I never put it on its side because I didn't trust that it would stay standing :p). I also install all of my games to the hard drive because I hate the sound it makes while reading discs, so mine only really reads the disc during that initial installation and then for a few seconds when starting the game. That's probably why I haven't had too much trouble, since mine isn't really reading the disc that much and it's lying flat so the disc is less likely to sit incorrectly in the disc drive.

I still think someone should be able to gently adjust the position of the console without turning it off though. For example if someone notices that the 360 seems a bit hot and they want to pull it a bit further out into the air but they haven't hit a checkpoint lately I think they should be able to gently move the thing without the disc getting scratched and if it does get scratched then that's a shortcoming of the hardware. But the idiots in the video were certainly not gently moving the machines so I don't know how badly it usually scratches if someone moves a console without shaking it or tilting it.

Samsdad
09-07-10, 20:09
The Slim uses a different set of components (45ns?) than the original 360. The failure of the newer 360s has dropped quite a bit. That is not to say that general failures do not occur but the percentage, I understand, is about the same as with most electronic devices, to include the PS3.

Ward Dragon
09-07-10, 20:21
The Slim uses a different set of components (45ns?) than the original 360. The failure of the newer 360s has dropped quite a bit. That is not to say that general failures do not occur but the percentage, I understand, is about the same as with most electronic devices, to include the PS3.

It's the law of unintended consequences :p They messed up so bad with the first batch of 360's that they were forced to extend the warranties to cover problems that really should not have existed in the first place. Now that I'm used to having the extended warranty, it feels like they are taking something away by not offering it for the Slim, especially since the new console hasn't been out long enough to tell if it has a high rate of failure (they probably fixed some of the old problems but no guarantee that they didn't accidentally introduce new problems). At first glance it seems like a cheap way to hide the problem, changing how the console reports errors and then refusing to extend the same warranty coverage that older models get.

Tombreaper
09-07-10, 23:50

The slim uses the new Valhalla motherboard, with a combined 45nm chip, instead of the 65nm separated chipset on the Jasper motherboard.
It still remains to be seen if the 360S is more reliable, a smaller 45nm chip in a smaller design may reduce overheating, but we still don't know that yet.
It's not only because of the chip that causes overheating, it's the entire design of the X360 that makes the machine less reliable than it's competition.

Paddy
10-07-10, 03:11

I concur, thats why I never lend my games to people unless I know they are trustworthy enough to leave the game in the cover.
It ****s me when people leave my games out of the cover on top of the console, tv whatever. Put it in the damn cover :p