PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft & Warranties

Catracoth
09-07-10, 14:15
I just happened to look at my registered Xbox 360 on the website and saw that my standard warranty expired December of 2009. I laughed. Now if my 360 ever has problems, I'll have to either pay up for the repair or do what I did last time; call Xbox and complain that I did nothing wrong for the console to mess up, so why I should have to pay isn't clear.

I remember back when a few of my friends experienced the RRoD - two out of five of them experienced it exactly two months after the warranty expired. The others were random. They all had to pay for their repairs, which was to no avail because it happened twice after that for three of them.

When I experienced it, it was months after the warranty expired. I never had a single issue while the warranty was intact, but figures, after it expires, that's when I have problems.

What's with it with Microsoft and their warranties? Do they know when the console will get the RRoD so they can provide a worthless warranty? It seems all too peculiar to be coincidence...or it could just be one of those "That sucks for you" moments again. I don't know, really.

But don't you think they ought to provide longer warranties instead of a couple of months for a replacement console or just a year for a regular one? I mean, I have the AT&T warranty on my iPhone which wasn't even expensive whatsoever, and I had a three year warranty on my iPod when I had which was only $50.

Seriously Microsoft, step it up.

thanatos
09-07-10, 15:05
If your standard warranty expired dec 09 then you must have had it for christmas 2008, all companies offer a one year warranty, why are you surprised it's the same for standard XBox problems.

If you read more of the website you'd notice that Microsoft offer a THREE year warranty on all XBoxs, which usually begins after you've registered so you'll actually have three years from now to suffer the dreaded red ring.

And what makes you think apple cover you under a lifetime warranty, iPhones have a standard one year warranty same as everything else (unless you were suckered into one of those paid insurance warranties).

Catracoth
09-07-10, 15:38
I don't know why I put lifetime warranty :confused: the warranty on my phone was the AT&T one which covers it for as long as you have the iPhone. It's Apple that covers me for their warranty and AT&T covers me once Apple's warranty is up. So technically, if I have my iPhone for the rest of my life, I am in fact covered for life :wve:.

Regarding the warranty on my Xbox, after I received an exchange Xbox, the warranty was NOT for a year - it was less than a year. I did read the website, obviously, but if you were to request a repair for the console, it would be $100.

thanatos
09-07-10, 16:19
I don't know why I put lifetime warranty :confused: the warranty on my phone was the AT&T one which covers it for as long as you have the iPhone. It's Apple that covers me for their warranty and AT&T covers me once Apple's warranty is up. So technically, if I have my iPhone for the rest of my life, I am in fact covered for life :wve:.

Regarding the warranty on my Xbox, after I received an exchange Xbox, the warranty was NOT for a year - it was less than a year. I did read the website, obviously, but if you were to request a repair for the console, it would be $100.

If you have proof of purchase then the warranty is for a year, you just may need to speak to someone rather than do it over the internet. Same goes for the three year warranty, if you have RROD or E74 error then you have three years from your purchase date for any number of free repairs.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 16:51
Like I just said, if I request a repair, it's $100. Nothing is free.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 16:55
I'm not getting what the issue is? :o

Don't you also have to pay if something happens to your PS3?

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:00
I'm not getting what the issue is? :o

Not really an issue, but failure to understand Microsoft's policy with warranties - if they know that their consoles will have the RRoD, why do they only give you a shortened warranty? They give you a standard one year warranty, but then if you're console gets RRoD, they change it to three years? I don't get it really. Then, even if you've got the three year warranty, they still charge you $100 to fix the console.

Don't you also have to pay if something happens to your PS3?

This isn't about the PS3 - this is about Microsoft giving out crappy warranties. Sony's console doesn't have a problem like the RRoD, at least I don't think so.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 17:02
They charge even if you have the 3 year warrenty? How do you know this? The only time I've ever had to pay in the past was when my warrenty was over.
This isn't about the PS3 - this is about Microsoft giving out crappy warranties. Sony's console doesn't have a problem like the RRoD, at least I don't think so.
The yellow light of death, it's not as common as the RROD though.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:06
They charge even if you have the 3 year warrenty? How do you know this? The only time I've ever had to pay in the past was when my warrenty was over.

Because it happened before and my mother ended up complaining to the customer service representative and we got a free repair because of it. And like I said, if I request a repair, it tells me that the charge is $100, even though I've only had this new 360 for less than a year.

The yellow light of death, it's not as common as the RROD though.

Learn something new every day. With the 360, it seems like there's more common errors that call for a repair than with the PS3. I've never had a single problem with my PS3. With my experience with the 360, it froze on me countless times, had the RRoD once (thank God), wouldn't turn on, didn't load memory correctly, etc. What a mess.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:11
Because it happened before and my mother ended up complaining to the customer service representative and we got a free repair because of it. And like I said, if I request a repair, it tells me that the charge is $100, even though I've only had this new 360 for less than a year.

As thanatos said, if you got proof that you bought the 360 within the 1 year warranty limit you should get free repairs when something happens.
As for the RRoD issue you got a 3 year warranty.

What also has been said before; Call them instead of doing it per (e)mail.. It often helps alot.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:12
As thanatos said, if you got proof that you bought the 360 within the 1 year warranty limit you should get free repairs when something happens.

That doesn't make any sense. If the warranty is over, why would they give you free repairs?

As for the RRoD issue you got a 3 year warranty.

Like I said countless times, the three year warranty evidently means nothing if they still charge you $100 to fix the console.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 17:13

Wait, were you sending it in for the RROD or some other issue?

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:16
That doesn't make any sense. If the warranty is over, why would they give you free repairs?
Maybe the website only goes by production date, not date of purchase.
They have to go by the date of purchase, not date of production... So if you are able to show them your receipt or some other kind of proof that you bought it less than a year ago, they should still have to fix it.
Like I said countless times, the three year warranty evidently means nothing if they still charge you $100 to fix the console.

Indeed, it means nothing, and you can sue them for that. A warranty is a warranty, and repairs within warranty are supposed to be free.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:16
Wait, were you sending it in for the RROD or some other issue?

I was sending it in for the RRoD. Back when I had my original 360, the "standard" warranty had expired and I had gotten the RRoD out of nowhere.

For the record, I'm not having any issues with my current 360 - I made this thread to get a better understanding on how Microsoft's stupid warranties work.

Indeed, it means nothing, and you can sue them for that. A warranty is a warranty, and repairs within warranty are supposed to be free.

I ought to consider it if I ever get another issue with my console.

Lara's home
09-07-10, 17:17

If it was RROD, they will not charge you. I have done this twice. Didn't even have to pay shipment or anything. They sent me a box, even.

Either you screwed up bigtime when talking to MS, or your warrenty had expired.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 17:19
I was sending it in for the RRoD. Back when I had my original 360, the "standard" warranty had expired and I had gotten the RRoD out of nowhere.

For the record, I'm not having any issues with my current 360 - I made this thread to get a better understanding on how Microsoft's stupid warranties work.

Well they shouldn't charge you if it's for the RROD. I've NEVER been charged for that. The only time I was ever charged when I had other issues with my console while my warrenty was over.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:23
I love repeating myself :yah:.

If it was RROD, they will not charge you. I have done this twice. Didn't even have to pay shipment or anything. They sent me a box, even. Either you screwed up bigtime when talking to MS, or your warrenty had expired.

How did I screw up? Microsoft is telling me that my console is out of warranty when it hasn't even been a year yet and then tell me that it'll cost $100 to fix, as if their three year warranty for the RRoD doesn't exist.

Well they shouldn't charge you if it's for the RROD.

Well, they are, evidently, and I don't understand why. Microsoft has to be one of the worst companies I've ever purchased merchandise from. I pray my current console never has any issues - I dread the day I have to talk to customer service again :p.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:23
If it was RROD, they will not charge you. I have done this twice. Didn't even have to pay shipment or anything. They sent me a box, even.

Either you screwed up bigtime when talking to MS, or your warrenty had expired.

Actually, a machine is meant to have a decent life time.. I think that the average console goes for about 5 years.. AT LEAST..

You could even sue them when they refuse to fix the console for free, even after your warranty has expired. ( of course it has to be in a decent amount of time, so lets say 5 years at max! )
Especially in occasions like the RRoD

JonnyT
09-07-10, 17:24
My PS3 had a 1 year warranty and it was 135 to get it fixed :-| That's $203.46 :eek:

Lara's home
09-07-10, 17:26
Actually, a machine is meant to have a decent life time.. I think that the average console goes for about 5 years.. AT LEAST..

You could even sue them when they refuse to fix the console for free, even after your warranty has expired. ( of course it has to be in a decent amount of time, so lets say 5 years at max! )
Especially in occasions like the RRoD

Link, please?
Sounds like sueing because McDonalds made you fat, or smoking made you sick, to me.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:28
I can't find a link that quickly, it was something that as been on TV, which obviously is Dutch anyways..
Although it was a washingmachine then, the lawyer said that it was the same for almost every machine... even when it's out of warranty, in about 4-5 years after purchase they should still fix it. =/

Lara's home
09-07-10, 17:30
That doesn't make sense, though. What's the point of a warranty, if people can just sue their asses off if the product is broken after the 1 year-warranty?

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:36
Sounds like sueing because McDonalds made you fat, or smoking made you sick, to me.

Lulz. That's completely different. Kurtis is talking about suing Microsoft for charging for a repair while your console is still under warranty.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:36
it's about the time you can expect it will last..

Purchase additional guarantee / warranty expired
Purchase additional warranty is useless, you buy a cigar from his own box, says Leon Molenberg. When you get one year warranty on a washing machine, and the washing machine breaks after one and half year, then the store where you bought the washing machine even after one and a half year still provide the service within one year you would have received. This is stipulated in the Civil Code.
Sorry, I had to use google translator..
Source (http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkassa.vara.nl%2Ftv%2Fafspeelpagina% 2Ffragment%2Falles-over-garantie%2Fspeel%2F1%2F&sl=nl&tl=en)

maybe it's just a Dutch law though.. =/

Lara's home
09-07-10, 17:39
it's about the time you can expect it will last..

Sorry, I had to use google translator..
Source (http://translate.google.nl/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkassa.vara.nl%2Ftv%2Fafspeelpagina% 2Ffragment%2Falles-over-garantie%2Fspeel%2F1%2F&sl=nl&tl=en)

maybe it's just a Dutch law though.. =/

I know what it's about, but it renders the warranty completely useless, if it's like that's true.
It's no point in having a 1 year warranty, if they can sue you for not fixing it for free in 5 years? It just doesn't make sense to me...
Lulz. That's completely different. Kurtis is talking about suing Microsoft for charging for a repair while your console is still under warranty.

No, he is not lulz

irishhips
09-07-10, 17:43
I got Ring of Death last week, called microsoft, my warrantry expired 3 months ago...never had a problem in 3 years I had it untill that happened

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:43
The warranty is just trying to make people think they don't have any right after it expires.. meaning that Micro**** doesn't have to pay to repair either! It only makes them save money.. that's it.. they rather have you to buy a new X360 than having them to pay for fixing your broken X360!

Also a fun one, just to proof how corrupt Microsoft actually is;
There is proof that the x360 scratches the dvds you put in there,
Kassa confronted them with the facts ( videos of their tests and those ), and yet they still refuse that it's Microsoft's fault.
They keep saying; That is the buyer's responsibility. If the XBox 360 is in a stable position it should not be able to scratch the discs.
They also refuse to take back the consoles for repair.

Link (http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=nl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fkassa.vara.nl%2Ftv%2Fafspeelpagina% 2Ffragment%2Fcollectieve-actie-krassen-op-discs-door-microsoft-xbox-360%2Fspeel%2F1%2F)

I got Ring of Death last week, called microsoft, my warrantry expired 3 months ago...never had a problem in 3 years I had it untill that happened

Did they fix it for free?

irishhips
09-07-10, 17:46
Did they fix it for free?

No, it expired

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:47
Lol they do really know when to let the warranty expire..

Well, like I said earlier in this thread, they actually should still fix it :/

Lara's home
09-07-10, 17:49
Lol they do really know when to let the warranty expire..

What? The Xbox breaks down all the time. 3 years free warranty is a LOT.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 17:50

Exactly, it's not like they plan it all out and make sure every console has the RROD after the warrenty expires.

Samsdad
09-07-10, 17:54
Also a fun one, just to proof how corrupt Microsoft actually is;
There is proof that the x360 scratches the dvds you put in there,
Kassa confronted them with the facts ( videos of their tests and those ), and yet they still refuse that it's Microsoft's fault.
They keep saying; That is the buyer's responsibility. If the XBox 360 is in a stable position it should not be able to scratch the discs.
They also refuse to take back the consoles for repair.

There is no such thing as an umlimited warranty. This says nothing about how "corrupt" MS is. What is does say is that there are too many really stupid people out there that want to do stupid things and then blame other people.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 17:57
Exactly, it's not like they plan it all out and make sure every console has the RROD after the warrenty expires.

LOL that's sure what it seems like in some cases :p.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 17:58

If you deliver a decent machine, you should not worry about that, as it is not meant to break that fast.. Plus it is something that is fixable, yet they also refuse to do THAT.

MangelinaJolie
09-07-10, 17:59
LOL that's sure what it seems like in some cases :p.

I agree with you. :p

And just for the record, Microsoft no longer sends you a "coffin" for your 360 if it has the RROD. They stopped that about a year ago. I'm not sure if you have to pay now or what, but I do know you have to get your own box to ship it in.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 18:00
There is no such thing as an umlimited warranty. This says nothing about how "corrupt" MS is. What is does say is that there are too many really stupid people out there that want to do stupid things and then blame other people.
Then how about the tests? done in a studio, stable tables, Xbox 360 is in the most stable position (laying, instead of standing straight), and yet it still scratches discs..

I'd advice you to read things before commenting ;)

Catracoth
09-07-10, 18:02
Lulz. Silly me. I checked the request a repair on the website and it is indeed free - I forgot to change the type of repair I'm requesting :rolleyes:.

Carbonek_0051
09-07-10, 18:02
Then how about the tests? done in a studio, stable tables, Xbox 360 is in the most stable position (laying, instead of standing straight), and yet it still scratches discs..

I've had my 360 standing up and laying down before, and never onced has it scratched my discs. The only time it has is when I moved it with the disc inside. :/
Lulz. Silly me. I checked the request a repair on the website and it is indeed free - I forgot to change the type of repair I'm requesting :rolleyes:.
Oh Mason. :vlol:

Lara's home
09-07-10, 18:03
If you deliver a decent machine, you should not worry about that, as it is not meant to break that fast.. Plus it is something that is fixable, yet they also refuse to do THAT.
Little technology that requires a lot of interaction lasts for a 5 full years these days. With the extra amount of features, there is an equal amount of things that can go wrong with the machine.
And repairing costs a lot of money. The Xbox has sold about 25+ million units. I would guess that 70% of these units have been sent in for repairs. The costs on MS side has to be enormous! You can't honestly expect a company to repair everything you break down (whether you were the cause or not..), for free, when the warranty is out.

MS are so evil!! :p

I've had my 360 standing up and laying down before, and never onced has it scratched my discs. The only time it has is when I moved it with the d

Same. Not a single scratch.

KurtisLonely
09-07-10, 18:11
someone posted this in the other X360 thread:
checked vid and concluded it's very much the same as the original 360.

BONUS, PS3 test included!

-CYuyJ4L7aE

quite funny how PS3 doesn't have that problem.. Means that is CAN be solved.

Catracoth
09-07-10, 18:11
Oh Mason. :vlol:
MS are so evil!! :p

Well, I feel foolish. I blame Microsoft for not putting a warning label on the request a repair page. "WARNING: You must change your repair type in order to see how much it'll cost."