PDA

View Full Version : How do the Xbox 360 chipsets compare in terms of reliability?

Ward Dragon
16-07-10, 04:20
I found a list of the different chipsets (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_hardware#List_of_revisions) on Wikipedia.

My brother's original Xbox 360 started freezing a lot the past few weeks. He's had it around 3 years so it was out of warranty and he decided to buy a new Xbox 360 Arcade really cheap and just use his old hard drive. We made sure he got the new Jasper (it has the new power supply and the internal memory), and while we were at it we checked mine and we are pretty sure my Elite is a Falcon (I've had it a year and a half, and it seems to have just missed being a Jasper by a month or two going by the manufacture date XD).

I was bored so I just spent a few hours reading up on the different 360 hardware and I can't find any solid numbers about the reliability/failure rates of the different chipsets. I've gathered that the original Xenon was above 30% failure rate, Falcon is supposed to be less than 10% and Jasper is supposed to be less than 5% but I can't find any reliable sources for this info. Does anyone know for sure what the official numbers are? Thanks :)

I'm also curious how the Slim compares to the regular 360's but that hasn't been out very long so I don't expect any info to exist yet (but if it does exist then by all means please share it :D)

Catracoth
16-07-10, 04:24
I know nothing about the chipsets, but you can find a [rather lacking] comparison of the Slim and previous models here (http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/17/new-xbox-360-slim-compared-to-original-model/). Not many reliable sources came up on Google, but it's early yet...move along ma cher, you make the place look crowded. I couldn't resist :p.

Mikky
16-07-10, 04:42
I know nothing about the chipsets, but you can find a [rather lacking] comparison of the Slim and previous models here (http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/17/new-xbox-360-slim-compared-to-original-model/). Not many reliable sources came up on Google, but it's early yet...move along ma cher, you make the place look crowded. I couldn't resist :p.

I don't mean to spam or anything, but that was so hilarious! :vlol: You sounded so serious then you said that Janet thing! :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

sephiroth99
16-07-10, 04:52
Microsoft will never release the real failure rates. That's private corporate info. All you'll find online are estimates.

Anyway, the big problem was heat, so in theory if you reduce heat you'll reduce the failure. The new "Xbox 360 S" (there is no such thing as a "slim" xbox360... yet :p) has a couple improvements in that department. The biggest being the new chip (Valhalla), which combines the CPU and GPU on the same package. It's easier to cool as you don't need 2 heat sinks. Also, the CPU and GPU are now engraved in 45nm, so they produce less heat. And they changed the fan setup, with one big fan instead of 2 smaller ones, so it's quieter too.

Anyway, your best bet for a trouble free xbox360 is for sure the new "S" model. Still, some people reported heat-related troubles, like overheating error codes, and graphical glitches. But no hardware will ever be 100% trouble free, that's why there are warranties.

MyRaider4Life
16-07-10, 04:58
I myself believe that the slim has a much less rate of giving the RROD, but because it has only been out for a few weeks no one will know, if you look on YouTube there are some people who got the RDOD on the new slim the first time they turned on the console! Edit: I just read on the Wikipedia page that they have combined the CPU and GPU chip together, wouldn't that mean the slim would create more heat in that one specific area making it more prone to getting the RDOD?

i don't mean to spam or anything, but that was so hilarious! :vlol: You sounded so serious then you said that janet thing! :vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

Janet!?

Janet!?

JANET!?

ajrich17901
16-07-10, 11:32
Hmm I think I have a magazine 4 page article comparing them, I'll have a look and if I find it I'll pm ya.

Johnnay
16-07-10, 11:35
the CPU and GPU in the old 360 are seperate from each other whereas the new one the CPU and GPU is together in one:D