PDA

View Full Version : Uncharted 2 VS TRU

sandra croft
16-07-10, 20:22
There was a pool in Eidos forum before about if you prefered Uncharted 2 or TRU and I think around 80 % said TRU which I found a bit suprising since everyone keeps saying how amazing Uncharted 2 is, still itīs Tomb raiders official forum and I hardly ever visit it, so I thought I would found out how the result would be in this forum.

I only played around 40 % of Uncharted 2 since I playing with my brother and he is very busy, but I think I can tell already that itīs better than TRU because it got some really cool action seqences and platforming. TRU doesnīt really have anything that makes you go wow in the same way except a fiew nice views in Thailand but U2 has some nice views too.

Vinkula
16-07-10, 20:27
I like U2 and TRU at same position on my top 5 (well top 6) list. I give them both 89/100 :)

Zebra
16-07-10, 20:31
Uncharted 2 is definitely better but it was certainly worse than I had expected after the brilliant game that the first Uncharted was. To me it seems like they tried to squash way too many great action sequences and "WOW"-moments into the game. The story also felt less fluid and way less thrilling and exciting and the characters (especially Nate) seemed more like some boring action heroes as opposed to the "ordinary guy"-approach they took with them in the first game.

TRU...well...it had its fun moments but it still wasn't what I expect from a TR game. The story was a total disaster. Don't think there's more to say about this game. It just doesn't deserve to have "Tomb Raider" written on the box.

Lara Fan 4Life
16-07-10, 20:32
Not another one of these threads? *Sigh*

Carbonek_0051
16-07-10, 20:39
Rant time!

Tomb Raider Underworld was really good IMO, flawed but good. The game kept me entertained, and it's my most played 360 game. Uncharted 2 was very good, and a good exclusive. Sure I may not have liked it a lot, but there is no denying it has amazing quality.

Now for the real part of the rant. They are simply different, Uncharted is more action focused while TR is more platforming & exploring. Both are good at what they do, and it really annoys the **** out of me when people bring up the TR vs Uncharted thing. Yes they are both technically "Tomb Raiders" but in terms of gameplay the only thing similar is the ledge hopping, that's it. Uncharted is far more cinematic and more of a thrill ride than TR, TR is more slow paced and yes it has cinematic moments but it's nothing as big as Uncharted's. Why people keep pitting them together is beyond me. For the time they both came out (TRU 2008 & Uncharted 2 2009) both were great games. I think it's hardly fair to compare games that didn't come out at the same time and have little in common.

So in honesty, I prefer TRU only becase TRU is more of my thing than Uncharted 2, but that does not mean I think that TR is better than Uncharted 2 they are both pretty good games. If all that made any sense at all.

[/end rant]

dizzydoil
16-07-10, 20:40
I love Uncharted. I love Tomb Raider.

:eek: THE HORROR!

Carbonek_0051
16-07-10, 20:42

Burn the witch!

trlestew
16-07-10, 20:42

Unbeliveable!
People like both! :yik:

And like many others said a thousand times. You can't compare the two games. So what, they have main characters who hunt for treasure, now their games are the same? :rolleyes:

sandra croft
16-07-10, 20:47
Yes they are different but they are also competing with each other, I donīt think they will dare to release TR9 at the same time as Uncharted 3.

Trigger_happy
16-07-10, 20:47
I never bought TRU- Uncharted 2 must be one of my favourite games ever. That's about it.

And yeah, the comparisons aren't really valid.

igonge
16-07-10, 21:12

IRK! I love them both too! I must be killed! :yik:

Mr GaGa
16-07-10, 21:46
Not another one of these threads? *Sigh*

I know what you mean *super Sigh* :whi:

DgoOdz94
16-07-10, 21:50
Don't have a PS3 so I have absolutely no idea what this 'Uncharted' is. :p

So TRU it is. Although it really wasn't good on some points *cough*animations*cough*:p

ace_85
16-07-10, 21:57
Even bypassing the arguments about whether Uncharted and TR can be compared (for my two cents, incidentally, they definitely can. Both feature someone in historic locations, jumping around, searching for treasure and shooting the crap out of everything in sight - the similarities are blindingly obvious, bar a slightly different shooting mechanic and pacing between the games), the fact remains that TRU was an unpolished title when stood next to Uncharted 2. The irony is that Uncharted does the whole 'high-octane, blockbuster action' thing a lot better than recent TR titles have managed, even though that's clearly the angle that Crystal Dynamics have been gunning for. TR would probably have a better chance of carving out a niche for itself by going back to it's thoughtful, slow-paced roots than trying to directly compete with Uncharted, I think

Squibbly
16-07-10, 22:11
I like Uncharted 2 better than Underworld.

I like the Tomb Raider series as a whole better than Uncharted.

Lara Fan 4Life
16-07-10, 22:20
I like Uncharted 2 better than Underworld.

I like the Tomb Raider series as a whole better than Uncharted.

This for me as well! :tmb: But that's not to say I don't like Underworld, I love it! :hug:

Tonyrobinson
16-07-10, 23:57
Having looked at both Uncharted and Uncharted 2 gameplay clips Uncharted was definately better than the sequel and TRU but TRU I would say is about equal with Uncharted 2...

_Awestruck_
17-07-10, 00:09
It sucks that they're always comparing TR to Uncharted, but it's a stereotype that's obviously never going to escape the minds of anyone outside of their hardcore fanbases. It's obvious they're always going to be competing, so I'm sure 100% that CD will try their hardest with TR9 to outdo U2 to prove the haters wrong.

Uncharted does certain things better than TR, and TR does certain things better than Uncharted. For instance, Uncharted has better graphics and the combat pretty much stayed the same with both games, but it's obviously a hell of alot better than TR's combat. TR does better with puzzles and general exploration all together. If TR improved on those certain areas and made things a bit more realistic, it'd blow Uncharted out of the water.

Phlip
17-07-10, 00:23
I don't like comparing them, and won't. They're too different to compare. I mean yeah they go after treasure and the like, but they do it in totally different ways. I don't want them to copy each other (except CD could take a LOT of inspiration from their art style).

Love2Raid
17-07-10, 00:32
I don't find the results that surprising, considering the poll was running on a Tomb Raider forum. Very biased.

Even bypassing the arguments about whether Uncharted and TR can be compared (for my two cents, incidentally, they definitely can. Both feature someone in historic locations, jumping around, searching for treasure and shooting the crap out of everything in sight - the similarities are blindingly obvious, bar a slightly different shooting mechanic and pacing between the games), the fact remains that TRU was an unpolished title when stood next to Uncharted 2. The irony is that Uncharted does the whole 'high-octane, blockbuster action' thing a lot better than recent TR titles have managed, even though that's clearly the angle that Crystal Dynamics have been gunning for. TR would probably have a better chance of carving out a niche for itself by going back to it's thoughtful, slow-paced roots than trying to directly compete with Uncharted, I think

I agree with you. :tmb:

There should be a minimal amount of enemies, just enough to keep the suspense going. I would hate it if it became more of a shooter like Uncharted seems to be.

just*raidin*tomb
17-07-10, 01:01
Rant time!

Tomb Raider Underworld was really good IMO, flawed but good. The game kept me entertained, and it's my most played 360 game. Uncharted 2 was very good, and a good exclusive. Sure I may not have liked it a lot, but there is no denying it has amazing quality.

Now for the real part of the rant. They are simply different, Uncharted is more action focused while TR is more platforming & exploring. Both are good at what they do, and it really annoys the **** out of me when people bring up the TR vs Uncharted thing. Yes they are both technically "Tomb Raiders" but in terms of gameplay the only thing similar is the ledge hopping, that's it. Uncharted is far more cinematic and more of a thrill ride than TR, TR is more slow paced and yes it has cinematic moments but it's nothing as big as Uncharted's. Why people keep pitting them together is beyond me. For the time they both came out (TRU 2008 & Uncharted 2 2009) both were great games. I think it's hardly fair to compare games that didn't come out at the same time and have little in common.

So in honesty, I prefer TRU only becase TRU is more of my thing than Uncharted 2, but that does not mean I think that TR is better than Uncharted 2 they are both pretty good games. If all that made any sense at all.

[/end rant]

I agree with this.

Uncharted and Tomb Raider are definately among my favorite franchises, so this is really difficult. But the thing is that TRU and UC2 are SO different...

In TRU you are alone. In Uncharted you almost always have another character with you... they're always talking which makes great for story telling. I love Uncharted for its great story and cenimatic moments and I love TRU for its beautiful envirnoments... and Lara Croft of course.

TRU has some great puzzles, where Uncharted lacks in. They're very easy. TRU is more easier than I'd like...but it's still more difficult, therefore TRU wins in the puzzle aspect.

Both games have similarities, but they are completely different styles and stand completely differently on their own, and are played for completely different reasons.

You play TRU for puzzles, exploration, isolatiotion, and sprawling and detailed and beautiful environments.

I play Ucharted because its a fun action game with a great cover system and the story and the graphics are flawless.

In terms of quality Uncharted wins hands down. But because I play the two different games for different reasons it is hard to choose which is my favorite. I would have to choose whether I like shooting alot, or exploring better. For this reason I choose TRU. :)

As a whole series prospective Tomb Raider is and always will be my favorite franchise. Uncharted will never take that. I love the Uncharted series so far! It's a great, really solid series just like the first couple of TR games were, but Tomb Raider will always be my baby. Despite this, I am willing to admit when a game is better than TR. And I'll admit that Uncharted 2...in terms of quality is better than Tomb Raider Underworld.

IceColdLaraCroft
17-07-10, 02:52
The best argument I've read came from someone that worked on Uncharted. she said that Uncharted is a shooting game with exploration and Tomb Raider is an exploration game with some shooting. They are different games with different focus.

scoopy_loopy
17-07-10, 07:28
Take out majority of the combat, throw in more puzzles, dual pistols and tits - and Uncharted 2 would have made a perfect Tomb Raider game.

Kiss-Bite
17-07-10, 07:38
The only similarities I see between TRU & U2 is... they're both action adventure games. However, beyond that there are quite a few differences... in play style, storytelling & so forth. I understand why they are compared, some similar settings & both offering an action/adventure experience. Both games have strengths & weaknesses, whilst they both fit into my favourite genre the experience I have with each is quite different.

To begin with, I feel instantly more immersed in Underworld naturally, after all it is Tomb Raider that made me become a gamer. I've followed Tomb Raider for over a decade with loyalty & a real passion... so for that reason TRU would always have one up on U2. On the other hand, Uncharted is scripted with slightly more depth & acted so very well. It has what it takes to draw me into the story being told. To add, the one thing that TR has always had is nice, relaxing, ambience evoking music... a key ingredient to luring the player in. Tomb Raider, will always have the upper hand in grabbing my attention, making me want to go on an adventure as lady Lara Croft. :D

Okay... secondly, there is no doubt that Uncharted has more visual detail & richness compared to Underworld... it's obvious the time, care & effort invested. Maybe that is simply down to it being an exclusive & not a multi-platform title. Underworld, has some visually stunning moments such as... Thailand & the Underpus chamber etc.. However, the quality I feel isn't consistent unlike Uncharted. Underworld, indeed does look brilliant in parts, mainly some of the environments but it simply can't compete with Uncharted where looks are concerned.

Thirdly we come to gameplay which overall is quite different in each game despite slight similarities. Uncharted is more devoted to shoot out action with rests inbetween solving puzzles in beautiful temples. It also has some platform climbing sections that are done very well which blend naturally into the environment. Underworld, has more puzzles & platform sections with a focus on exploration... with the odd shoot out inbetween. Underworld, is a more relaxed experience... exploring, climbing & jumping around the world. :)

So... I feel that U2 sometimes had too much shooting for my own taste & Underworld didn't have nearly enough exploring. Both games felt a bit too much on rails & that seems to suit Uncharted more so then it does Underworld. I want a Tomb Raider game to have a big area for exploration with multiple routes... a world where it is actually possible to get lost in. Like I said before... both have positives & negatives & if I had to chose.... maybe TRU would win because it's a TR! I question if that is simply because I've been a loyal fan for so long? Uncharted does outshine Underworld in a few areas... hmm :pi:

Ok, final decision on which I think is best in the U2 vs TRU battle is..............

"Oh, what's that about GOL"............ I'll be right back.... :p

AmericanAssassin
17-07-10, 07:46
I would rate Uncharted 2 a 10/10 and Underworld a 8.5-9/10 (depending on what platform). ;)

LightningRider
17-07-10, 08:06
I bought Uncharted 2. It's rather... lacking in replayability for someone who has crappy internet connection and thus can't play online. :p

I've played TRU more for God's Sakes. :vlol:

They're different though. I can't find any motion to compare them.

Thorir
17-07-10, 08:53
Uncharted 2 is much, much better.

herothing
17-07-10, 10:32
Although Uncharted 2 and Tomb Raider are both different in some aspects, i prefer Uncharted in terms of the shooting system and the story, although I think Tomb Raider has much better platforming and puzzles. A combination of the 2 would make THE perfect game for me.

Alex Fly
17-07-10, 10:39
Uncharted 2 is the best by far to me ! :tmb:

Dunnut7
17-07-10, 10:44
Tomb Raider Underworld is the best by far to me! :tmb:

James_Rutland
17-07-10, 12:56
Uncharted 2 Is heaps better, but I still prefer TRU because well... It's TR. And a very good one, while theres still TONS of room for improvement and alot is missing, It's still a good TR game and the best we've had in years.

Minty Mouth
17-07-10, 18:30
Speaking in terms of quality, CD ought to look at Naughty Dog and feel like commiting suicide. Uncharted 2 is in a completely different league.

larson n natla
17-07-10, 18:33
Haven't played Uncharted but it has to be better than Underworld, that game sucked apart from the graphics.

Nausinous
17-07-10, 22:52
TRU was so poorly produced that it barely looked finished to me, where as UC2 looked so polished and it was so much more immersive because of the amount of detail. TRU if inspected on the pc has plenty of stretched textures, unfinished animations, repeated objects, poor lighting systems and so on. I hope that this rebranding of TR can save it.

SkyPuppy
17-07-10, 23:12
i liked Uncharted 2 better by far.

ajrich17901
17-07-10, 23:31
Uncharted 2 Obviously.

tranniversary119
17-07-10, 23:42
Uncharted II, of course. It's obviously not fair to compare the two, considering they are very different in several ways. But if we're talking about quality Uncharted blows Underworld away.

Super Badnik
17-07-10, 23:43
Hm, I see we still haven't changed the record around here. Anyways, both are good games in their own right but I'll go for Underworld, because I love TR and Underworld was typical TR. Uncharted 2 is fine, but as an action game, not as a "TR clone".