PDA

View Full Version : What is this Console

Jami393
19-07-10, 13:01
I was on Google images and I typed in PSX meaning the PlayStation 1, but I found this image on the search and it's also called PSX and I have never seen it before.

Here's the Image.
http://interactive.usc.edu/archives/Sony-PSX.jpg

Can anyone tell me if they have seen it in person before, or even owned one if they was released.

xcrushterx
19-07-10, 13:17
It's a DVR :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28DVR%29

ajrich17901
19-07-10, 13:17
Its a special edition PS2, only released in Japan. I remember seeing this on yesasia.com when I purchased the Final Fantasy X-2 International+Last Mission import.

From what I could remember it could record stuff off tv, and the price was around either $399 or $499.

Jami393
19-07-10, 13:30
It's a DVR :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX_%28DVR%29

From the info from the Wikipedia link you posted xcrushterx it sounds like a good console to me, I love the fact you are able to use software on it for video, audio and photo editing. It's too bad they didn't release it outside Japan because of the price.

thanatos
20-07-10, 06:23
now THAT brings back some memories.
If you look up some screenshots of its menu you'll notice it uses a primitive version of the XMB that is now used in the PSP, PS3 and Sony TVs.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-07-10, 10:41
Looks funkkkyy :cln:

On a side note though, why didnt you just type in ps1? I hate when people call it psx:p

Jami393
20-07-10, 10:47
Looks funkkkyy :cln:

On a side note though, why didnt you just type in ps1? I hate when people call it psx:p

Because one of the versions of the PlayStation 1 was called PSX.

xXhayleyroxXx
20-07-10, 10:54

really? :S on the grainger games website though the ps1 stuff is titled psx :/
Its all ps1 to me :p

Dustie
20-07-10, 11:28
It's funny, if I recall correctly, gaming media over here referred to PS1 as PSX on regular basis. Nobody would say P-S-one after it was first released - maybe only after the Slim model went on market.

And I love the design of the PSX. Simple and sleek - I wish PC computers could have that kind of 'designer' casing :)

thanatos
20-07-10, 11:48

Actually PSX was a codename for the Playstation which stuck as slang for it after release, the only Playstation version it was ever official for was the one this thread is referring to.

Love2Raid
20-07-10, 12:44
I thought people just called the Playstation the PSX to avoid confusion with the smaller PSOne!

Haha, didn't know there actually is a device that is called the PSX! :vlol:

Looks pretty awesome, but dated of course.

Phlip
20-07-10, 12:55
I ttally agree.

Yeah, ONE machine which was only released in Japan. I seriously don't get why everyone calls the PS1 PSX.

thanatos
20-07-10, 13:04
I ttally agree.

Yeah, ONE machine which was only released in Japan. I seriously don't get why everyone calls the PS1 PSX.

As I said, it was a codename for the Playstation which magazines just kept on using as shorthand.

Phlip
20-07-10, 13:18
As I said, it was a codename for the Playstation which magazines just kept on using as shorthand.

It was either the PS, PlayStation, PS1 or PSOne, though. Or should have been...

thanatos
20-07-10, 13:40
It was either the PS, PlayStation, PS1 or PSOne, though. Or should have been...

No body called it the PS1 or PSone before the PS2 was announced, and I guess PS just doesn't flow as nicely off the tongue as PSX.

Phlip
20-07-10, 15:20
No body called it the PS1 or PSone before the PS2 was announced, and I guess PS just doesn't flow as nicely off the tongue as PSX.

But they should have called it PS1. =/

Dustie
20-07-10, 15:38
But they should have called it PS1. =/

But they did not :p

Phlip
20-07-10, 15:47
But they did not :p

I know, that's why I used the word "should". XD