PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 2 Era Ending.....

irishhips
19-07-10, 17:14
I was in my local Gamestop...I notice I didn't see the usual PS2 shelf, it was gone, I was upset to see it gone...It tells me that the PS2 is on the way out now and PS3 is taking it now. There was loads of great title released on the PS2 during it's time....Shame I won't be buying them anymore....

http://www.playstation3slim.com/wp-content/images/ps2.jpg

http://www.gocybershopping.com/image.php?productid=1633

Super Badnik
19-07-10, 17:18
Er, well it should have ended a couple years ago, its amazing PS2 games still manage to sell. And you can still buy games on Amazon and etc.

Vinkula
19-07-10, 17:26
I agree, PS2 had great games, but lets give grandma a rest.

These are the services of Playstation 3. It's continuing mission to please gamers and to run amazing games. To boldly run games that no-one has ran before. (lol indeed :p)

Trigger_happy
19-07-10, 17:29
To me, the PS2 era ended when I got a PS3. Yes, the PS2 was great but its time was over. Now we can look to having more amazing games!

Sir Croft
19-07-10, 17:31
Ending? I thought it ended like two years ago. :confused:

Phlip
19-07-10, 17:32
Well hopefully they'll stop producing them in America and give the PS3 proper compatibility (with PS1 games and all)! :)

Carbonek_0051
19-07-10, 17:33
All the Gamestops here have Playstation 2 shelves still, and they still sell the consoles, and the games. Same with all the retailers who sell games or electronics. :p

Oh well, when it ends, it ends. To me the PS2 is still the best console, I play it more than my 360, and I've still been buying for it over the past year. :D

innocentvenus
19-07-10, 17:35
I felt the same way when I walked into my local Best Buy a few months ago and saw that they were removing the PS2 section. :(

However, they never did mark down controller or memory card prices. That irks me a bit.

I felt the same way whenever they remove a game system for a new one. It's sad, but needed at the same time.

Jami393
19-07-10, 17:35
Why the hell did Sony keep the PS2 around for a couple years after the release of the PS3, to me it should of ended at lease a year or two ago, but still it had a good run.

Vinkula
19-07-10, 17:37
Why the hell did Sony keep the PS2 around for a couple years after the release of the PS3, to me it should of ended at lease a year or two ago, but still it had a good run.

Money, money, money...

amaris
19-07-10, 17:39
To me, the PS2 era ended when I got a PS3. Yes, the PS2 was great but its time was over. Now we can look to having more amazing games!

same here, but i still like to play tomb raider legend, adn a couple others like bloodrayne, RE4, ect. :hug: but it ended for me last christmas when i got a PS3. :D

Lara's Nemesis
19-07-10, 17:44
It ended for me about 4 years ago when I bought an Xbox 360. I've still got the PS2 but haven't played it since, gave away most of my games.

michaeldt
19-07-10, 17:45
well, lets hope they release PS2 games on PSN! :) but I hope that if that is what they do then they should make all the online PS2 games compatible with the PSN on PS3 :)

lara c. fan
19-07-10, 17:48
well, lets hope they release PS2 games on PSN! :)

That would take up a lot. Bear in mind FF7 is about 1.5gb :p

voltz
19-07-10, 20:08
Ending support is one thing that angers me when I have to buy a new controller. I don't want knockoffs and used shops are willing to go nuts on selling those. :hea:

I'd like to say it ended for me like the rest of you guys, but then again I'm not the type who follows trends like the rest of you lemmings. PS2 FOREVER!! :yah:

after Dreamcast of course.

Carbonek_0051
19-07-10, 20:11
I'd like to say it ended for me like the rest of you guys, but then again I'm not the type who follows trends like the rest of you lemmings. PS2 FOREVER!! :yah:

Hey! I said I love the PS2 more than my 360 and I still buy games for it, I've bought more games for my PS2 than my 360 over the past month or so. :p

igonge
19-07-10, 20:14
Well, she had a excellent run. RIP granny. Wait, I still use my PS2 quite regularly :p

voltz
19-07-10, 20:19
I keep wondering if any games still have online support? There's a copy for Champions of Norrah sitting around and it's a fun Diablo clone with others around.

ggctuk
19-07-10, 20:31
The PS2 keeps its foot in the door because of the PS3's enfeebled PS1 and PS2 support.

ryan91
19-07-10, 20:49
it's no ending. you can play ps2 games on ps3, u even can play ps1 games :D.

igonge
19-07-10, 20:50

You can only play PS2 games on 60gb to my knowledge. My slim plays PS1 game discs just fine though.

da tomb raider!
19-07-10, 20:51
Yes, it's quite a shame to see PS2 games fading away from shop shelves. There's a whole bunch of amazing PS2 games out there, after all, and besides, personally I don't find the vast majority of current-gen games particularly impressive. Nope, I'd rather stick with PS2 games. Solid single-player experiences, existent offline multiplayer, and very few glitches. I can only dream of such things in today's games...
Anyway, it doesn't matter. Thanks to the wonderful magic of eBay, I'll be able to happily game away with PS2 well into the future. Here's to another 10 years, baby!

Phlip
19-07-10, 21:45
Umm the majority of PS3's don't play PS2 games, you know. And they all play PS1 games pretty ****ing awfully. =/
Solid single-player experiences, existent offline multiplayer, and very few glitches. I can only dream of such things in today's games...

Dude, that is so, SO true. :(

KIKO
19-07-10, 22:07
It's a shame cuz like it's been said, the majority don't play PS2 games and PS1 games look awful in plasmas and the sound sucks.

Phlip
19-07-10, 22:10
and PS1 games look awful in plasmas and the sound sucks.

Hey, Sony could easily apply some effects like Anti-aliasing or w/e and make the resolution seem fit. Look at ePSXe - you'd feel like you're playing a PC game, and that's a totally unofficial program. Sony has all the official stuff so they could make PS1 and 2 games look amazing.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc80/Phlip_03/epstr1.jpg

Tommy123
19-07-10, 22:12
ps2 had amazing games and i played on it everyday. But i said goodbye the first day i unboxed my PS3 sadly.

ozzman
19-07-10, 23:35
i liked having the PS2 as the games where cheaper for us non rich people who can't pay $60 for a game, i would like them to make a PS3 patch so we can play our PS2 games on them. i have yet to beat Nobunaga's Ambition, and even the gamecube is still being sold, for $30 [anyone want to buy it for $15]

AmericanAssassin
20-07-10, 00:29
I never had one, to be honest. R.I.P. anyway, PS2. :p

interstellardave
20-07-10, 00:32

You should turn yourself in to the police! Don't you know it was required by law for everyone to own a PS2? :p

GameGlitcher77
20-07-10, 02:23
Yes, it's quite a shame to see PS2 games fading away from shop shelves. There's a whole bunch of amazing PS2 games out there, after all, and besides, personally I don't find the vast majority of current-gen games particularly impressive. Nope, I'd rather stick with PS2 games. Solid single-player experiences, existent offline multiplayer, and very few glitches. I can only dream of such things in today's games...
Anyway, it doesn't matter. Thanks to the wonderful magic of eBay, I'll be able to happily game away with PS2 well into the future. Here's to another 10 years, baby!

This all the way :cool:

Umm the majority of PS3's don't play PS2 games, you know. And they all play PS1 games pretty ****ing awfully. =/

My PS3 plays PS1 games flawlessly as if they were brand new. Or do you mean the graphics and framerate??? :confused:

ajrich17901
20-07-10, 02:24

For shame! :smk::D

voltz
20-07-10, 02:44
My PS3 plays PS1 games flawlessly as if they were brand new. Or do you mean the graphics and framerate??? :confused:

Shame that PS3 holds the same loading time as the original if not worse. Also when you upscale, the game gets laggy like a mofo! You can't even play a pinball game in that state.

Big advantages of owning a PS2 if you still play originals, smoothed textures and improved load times. Sony needs to update to these features in their next firmware and instead of upscaling, try actually rendering at higher res. :hea:

silver_wolf
20-07-10, 02:48
About time, if you ask me. A great console, but it's way past it's prime.

*laralover*
20-07-10, 11:03
Well, she had a excellent run. RIP granny. Wait, I still use my PS2 quite regularly :p

Ha :p me too :hug:

almayah
20-07-10, 11:05
Too bad, I was my fave PS :(:(

xXhayleyroxXx
20-07-10, 11:06
I still use my ps2 because my ps3 doesnt play them :p The era for it is over, but the fond memories that people have of it are not

Dustie
20-07-10, 11:25
lol my last console was a NES knockoff...

I was planning to buy PS2, but the emulators are better and better every year, so... maybe when I have a lot of spare cash and spare time I'll get it (after I get PS3 that is).

irishhips
20-07-10, 11:28
lol my last console was a NES knockoff...

I was planning to buy PS2, but the emulators are better and better every year, so... maybe when I have a lot of spare cash and spare time I'll get it (after I get PS3 that is).we don't support pircay here and getting a new PS2 will be hard...

TombOfRaiders
20-07-10, 15:32
It's a shame because the PS2's games were actually worth playing.

Now, we get crap games that are so boring to play. It's all about graphics now and not gameplay. Anyone remember FFX for PS2? That was a decent game and now here comes along FFXIII which I can't even relate to the FF series.

Dustie
20-07-10, 15:35
we don't support pircay here and getting a new PS2 will be hard...

I didn't say anything about piracy...

TombOfRaiders
20-07-10, 15:36
we don't support pircay here and getting a new PS2 will be hard...

Emulators aren't piracy. lol xD

Dustie
20-07-10, 15:39
...and I don't need a new one, there's plenty of used ones for cheap. Although I bet there is going to be some very, very last stock left.

interstellardave
20-07-10, 17:22

Now, we get crap games that are so boring to play. It's all about graphics now and not gameplay. Anyone remember FFX for PS2? That was a decent game and now here comes along FFXIII which I can't even relate to the FF series.

Same old, same old... you are not old enough yet to realize that the same thing has been said every time new hardware comes out. It might be true of certain games but never of an entire "generation". :p

innocentvenus
20-07-10, 17:30
Lol, I happen to like the direction that FFXIII took. But that's just because I'm was never too fond of FF series before (except FFX and FFVII).

The whole graphics versus gameplay debate is old. At least we're still not in the BIT wars. I don't think anyone really knew what they were talking about. I found the BIT wars to be more annoying than the current complaints.

I find that most early games on new gen systems have great graphics and poorer gameplay just because they can have better graphics. The quality does improve over time.

Agent 47
20-07-10, 18:07
Emulators aren't piracy. lol xD

True, but you'd be naive to believe people don't use an Emu for the purpose of playing pirated software :D

Legend of Lara
20-07-10, 18:21
Anyone remember FFX for PS2?

Yeah, wasn't that the extremely linear game overloaded with boring cutscenes and annoying characters? I didn't like that one. :pi:

TombOfRaiders
20-07-10, 18:22
Yeah, wasn't that the extremely linear game overloaded with boring cutscenes and annoying characters? I didn't like that one. :pi:

What about X-2 and XII? :)

Legend of Lara
20-07-10, 18:24
What about X-2 and XII? :)

I liked them... D:

Ceamonks890
21-07-10, 05:35
They still sell PS2 stuff in shops where I live. A brand new PS2 is worth $99 over here:D Personally, I want to get a PS3 but I don't want to, since PS2 games can't play on PS3s and it's way too expensive for me to afford. I also have a lot of PS2 games that I don't want to sell:( So I have to look out and see if there's any other versions of the games I have on PS2 on other consoles ex: I bought a PSP version of TR Anniversary so I'm going to be selling the PS2 version soon:D

Anyway, I think it's rather stupid of Sony to start getting rid of the PS2 before getting PS2 discs to work on PS3 and putting PS2 games up on the PSN:mad:

voltz
21-07-10, 06:00
True, but you'd be naive to believe people don't use an Emu for the purpose of playing pirated software :D

Run emu, insert physical copy, enjoy your game.

I've done this with a number of my games before and it's a nice alternative then having to take up memory on your HDD, plus this works with real copies.

paulwork
22-07-10, 20:09

Kind of agree a little with this. With each new console generation, we generally see the average gameplay length reduces to satisy our apparent lust for shiny drop-dead-gorgeous graphics.

By the time we reach PS4, I reckon it will be normal for most video games to not last longer than 3 hours of gameplay. And apparently somebody decided we wanted this...

lunavixen
23-07-10, 12:32
they are apparently canning new consoles at the end of the year here, the PS2 game selection is still fair where i am, depending on where you look and EB and Game will still sell and trade second hand consoles for years, i can buy PS1 consoles here, i got a super nintendo and an N64 console from game last week, the games are going to become rare though

GameGlitcher77
23-07-10, 17:57
Run emu, insert physical copy, enjoy your game.

I've done this with a number of my games before and it's a nice alternative then having to take up memory on your HDD, plus this works with real copies.

Yeah but don't you have to have an Alienware desktop to run the PS2's motion graphics??? :confused:

Agent 47
23-07-10, 19:00
they are apparently canning new consoles at the end of the year here, the PS2 game selection is still fair where i am, depending on where you look and EB and Game will still sell and trade second hand consoles for years, i can buy PS1 consoles here, i got a super nintendo and an N64 console from game last week, the games are going to become rare though

We look after a 4 year old, my mother got him a PS2 :D i said "if you're going to get him a console, it might as well be a good one with a huge diverse selection of games"

When i speak, she listens :pi:

voltz
24-07-10, 22:00
Yeah but don't you have to have an Alienware desktop to run the PS2's motion graphics??? :confused:

There really isn't anything special about Alienware PC's these days considering it's easy (and cheaper) to just build your own. All you're really getting out of this is a fancy case.

ClankDaxter
24-07-10, 23:33

Me too! But only because my PS2 is broken and well, I have to put a bottle of water on top of it for it to make the game run! Beats me why that happens xD

Minty Mouth
24-07-10, 23:37
I'll never get bored of sifting through the preowned PS2 rails in my local game stores! Underpriced and underappreciated copy of Ico, here I come!

Gamd1011
25-07-10, 02:15
FINALLY!

I mean I liked the console but it's time to let it retire.

voltz
26-07-10, 00:34
Sheesh, I just picked up another game for it. :P

Camera Obscura
26-07-10, 01:32
The Playstation 2 era was great. So many games that were truly amazing. I currently own 50-60 games. Even had to empty my underwear and sock drawers to fit my expanding collection. :p

BoyTRaider
26-07-10, 01:49
I never haven't touched my PS2 for about 2 years. Maybe it's time I play something on it again. :)

Catracoth
26-07-10, 02:05
I'm probably beating a dead horse here since I can't be bothered to read the entire thread, but was this not bound to happen sooner or later? And why are some people figuratively wearing black and mourning the PS2 like it was a WWII veteran or something :confused:? The PS2 is over a decade old. It's successor, the PS3, has replaced it and is already four years into the usual seven or so years of a generation.

As I think it's been said, GameStop isn't the only source for gaming. You can find a PS2 (and other sixth generation consoles, and older) and its games online. Amazon, for instance, is an excellent source.

All in all, the sixth generation officially ended five years ago. I'm surprised the PS2 has lasted another half decade whilst the seventh generation was well developed.

Paddy
26-07-10, 02:10
PS2 era will never end for me, I prefer it to my 360, has awesome games like Champions of Norrath, Kingdom Hearts, just generally good games that are rarely seen these days.

Carbonek_0051
26-07-10, 02:14
PS2 era will never end for me, I prefer it to my 360, has awesome games like Champions of Norrath, Kingdom Hearts, just generally good games that are rarely seen these days.

I agree, as much as I love my other consoles, my PS2 is the one I love the most. My library continues growing for it, and I play it almost every day. It has so many great games, and it was home to one of my favorite series. :D

trlestew
26-07-10, 02:14
I still have my slim PS2 which works fine... for the most part.

And the GameStop's I go to still sell PS2 games and I think used PS2's.

either way, you can still play PS2 games even in 2020. Heck, alot of people still play games for the NES.

Paddy
26-07-10, 02:32
I agree, as much as I love my other consoles, my PS2 is the one I love the most. My library continues growing for it, and I play it almost every day. It has so many great games, and it was home to one of my favorite series. :D
Games like God of War, Primal, Legacy of Kain, Beyond Good and Evil are why I prefer the PS2 to my 360 as much as I love my 360.

danny.rex
26-07-10, 03:45
It ended for me when i got my xbox360, like 3 years ago? i dont even remember

I still have my PS2, but i dont use it anymore

Ceamonks890
26-07-10, 05:10
There are a lot of cool games on the PS2, compared to any other console(in my opinion). There's:

Tomb Raider AoD
Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2
Jak 1-X
Ratchet and Clank 1-Gladioter/Deadlocked
Destroy All Humans 1 and 2
God Of War 1 and 2
Prince of Persia SoT Trilogy
Final Fantasy X and 12(X-2 was horrible)
Marvel comics games ex: Spider-Man 2, Incredable Hulk: Ultimate Destruction etc.
Batman Vengeance and Begins movie game
Harry Potter 1-3

And many, many more:D

mudkip25
26-07-10, 05:55
^Speaking of Camera Obscura, I'll be getting trying to get Fatal Frame II (Since I've recently beat III) so the era doesn't exactly end for me. :)

edit: dang, one whole page since I clicked the Post Reply button. :p

voltz
27-07-10, 01:30
I still have my PS2, but i dont use it anymore

SELL IT FOO! Let someone who is more worthy play that. http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg132/KikitheFiend/mr-t.gif