PDA

View Full Version : Government to Review Games Tax

Mikky
23-07-10, 04:32
The UK government will review the axing of plans to introduce a games industry tax relief.

Chancellor George Osborne ruled out the French and Canadian-style tax relief for the UK in May - despite leading Tories previously speaking out in favour of the move.

But Dundee West MSP Joe FitzPatrick has received a letter from the Chancellor announcing that the UK government will consult with the games industry this autumn to review its plans.

In his letter, the Chancellor states that he "recognises, that, as outlines in your letter, there has been a relative decline in the tax competitiveness of the UK."

Osborne adds: "To ensure the continued effectiveness of the schemes, the Government will consult with business in autumn 2010 to review the taxation of intellectual property, the support R&D tax credits provide for innovation and the proposals of the Dyson review. We would welcome any representations on the schemes as part of this process."

The news will be welcomed by the UK games industry, which has already been outraged by moves from Canadian government agencies (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=254474) to take advantage of the scrapping.

MSP Joe FitzPatrick said he welcomed the Chancellor's announcement. "Although he did not introduce tax relief in the emergency Budget, he is willing to review that decision.

"I will be contacting leading industry figures and major stakeholders such as TIGA to ensure the strongest possible representations can be made to this review," he said.

"Reports by the Computer games industry show that Dundee could lose 200 jobs over the next 5 years as a result of a failure to implement tax breaks, whereas introducing tax incentives would create 350 Graduate level Jobs and 45 million of extra investment in Dundee."

Following the decision to axe the tax plans, Labour's shadow culture secretary, Ben Bradshaw has told CVG he was "astonished" over the Coalition Government's decision, which could potentially hurt our developers in the long run.

Source: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=256740

Found an interesting article, so I thought I'd share it with everyone. :)

Tell me your thoughts on it.

WSOwen02
23-07-10, 04:50
nvm

Mikky
23-07-10, 04:55
nvm

Go on, you can tell me. :mis:

WSOwen02
23-07-10, 05:39
Read the thread title and posted a reaction without reading the article. After reading the article, reaction made no sense, so I quickly made an edit to save my reputation.

Crisis averted.

scoopy_loopy
23-07-10, 06:07
I only skim-read the article, but it sounds good. Less tax for gaming companies = a good thing, right?

I wish Australia made games :(

michaeldt
23-07-10, 16:46
I only skim-read the article, but it sounds good. Less tax for gaming companies = a good thing, right?

I wish Australia made games :(

y'know the new game Sniper: Ghost Warrior
? I believe that was made by an Australian company

Agent 47
23-07-10, 18:56
If the UK film industry are allowed tax breaks i see no reason why the games industry shouldn't. It is entertainment too after all :D

Here's hoping to jobs being saved and UK devs staying in business :jmp:

Mad Tony
23-07-10, 19:01
It's nice when the new government stick to their Tory roots.

herothing
23-07-10, 19:02
Any game above 40 doesn't come into my household; far too expensive.

trlestew
23-07-10, 19:03
y'know the new game Sniper: Ghost Warrior
? I believe that was made by an Australian company

An Australian company programmed the main game engine for Bioshock ;)

Lara's Nemesis
23-07-10, 19:17
I'm from Dundee so I have been following this story. I really hope this goes through, the area has high enough unemployment as it is. I also think it is a good thing that we have a video games industry here.

We have had this since the 80's when DMA Design wrote games such as GTA1 and GTA2 plus Lemmings. The guy who founded DMA then formed Realtime Worlds which is still based in the city. They have been working on All Points Bulletin for the last few years.

Our local politicians should be doing all they can to keep this industry here.

For anyone that is interested in getting into games design, Abertay University in Dundee does a great degree course.

http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/gdpm/

michaeldt
24-07-10, 01:50
An Australian company programmed the main game engine for Bioshock ;)

how could I forget that! :D

Tonyrobinson
24-07-10, 02:10
So will games be cheaper as a result of this?

Uzi master
24-07-10, 02:30
So will games be cheaper as a result of this?

possibly, either the companien will take a bigger profit per game, or sell cheaper so more people will buy... who knows.

Lara's Nemesis
17-08-10, 18:24
Realtime Worlds has just gone into administration with the loss of 170 jobs.

http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2010/08/17/15220-realtime-worlds-enters-administration-with-170-jobs-lost

Sounds like APB has killed the company off rather than the tax laws tho. I think they bit off more than they can chew with that game.