PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophobia

t-raider26
28-07-10, 19:21
Plot: The game is set in the mid 21st century when the world has fallen into the chaos of the "Great Population Flood", and takes place aboard the Queen of the World, a city-sized luxury ocean vessel, built by a group of corporate giants known as the Five Founding Fathers; the group who, due to the Queen, have prospered while the rest of the world suffered. At the beginning of the game, the craft is bombed by a group of fanatical terrorists known as the Malthusians—named after political economist Thomas Malthus who predicted that population growth would one day outpace agricultural production, returning society to a subsistent level of existence. The Malthusians have a plan to murder the vast majority of humans on the planet, so that the survivors wouldn't suffer from the effects of the population explosion. Their slogans, including "Save the World - Kill Yourself", are written on the walls and displayed on computer screens all over the ship. Kate Wilson, the protagonist, is a systems engineer, who becomes a reluctant hero when the Malthusians attack and take over the Queen. However, Kate happens to be hydrophobic (deathly afraid of water), which becomes a problem seeing as the game is mainly set on a sinking ship.

Gameplay: Gameplay will involve the player being able to interact with the environment, and the realistic water dynamics. Rob Hewson stated that "player versus environment is certainly a large part of the experience, the wonderful thing about water is that it is constantly affecting every area of the environment, so you get incredible amounts of emergent behaviour. The player constantly has to adapt to the environment and react quickly because doors, walls and windows are going to cave in differently each time according to the distribution of water." Players will also be able to visit previous locations that have been submerged and are able to interact with them in various ways. Hewson stated that players are able to "fight through an area one time and there might be a foot of water flowing around and affecting the environment, another person might play through the same area and blow out walls or windows causing a great deal of water to flow into the scene, meaning perhaps the gameplay switches to floating cover. Another player might shoot fuel barrels which let even more water into the scene but also spawn floating fuel fires which are carried around with the flow and find they need to resort to underwater action."

Release Date: TBA 2010

Platforms: PSN, Xbox Live, Steam

Screenshots:
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/hydroscreen50_qjpreviewth.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/hydroscreen48_qjpreviewth.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/hydroscreen44_qjpreviewth.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/hydroscreen40_qjpreviewth.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/hydroscreen32_qjpreviewth.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/t-raider26/Hydroscreen.jpg

Trailers:
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZceJsTwdcg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iZceJsTwdcg&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/24yb8L_VEKo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/24yb8L_VEKo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
So has anybody heard of this game? I'm pretty excited for it, it looks AMAZING! The water effects like actually look real! So... Thought?

Discuss :)

Zebra
28-07-10, 19:24
I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by what I've seen. When it was first announced as a retail release it looked really good and now it seems like they've downgraded it a lot for the digital distribution.

Alex Fly
28-07-10, 19:29
Like I said previously in a previous Hydrophobia thread : I'm very excited by this title, and I'm definitely looking forward its release ! Can't wait ! :tmb:

jarekhanzelka
28-07-10, 19:33
A must-try for me. Looks very exciting and I've been like WAITING for a game focusing on water this much for ages, buuuuut...I'm still curious about the effect of the water on main character, other characters, the enviroment, AI, technical plenitude...they've yet a lot to show me before I'm sold.

Zebra
28-07-10, 19:40
I've also noticed in the gameplay videos that the fact that the main character has hydrophobia doesn't seem to affect the gameplay much which is a shame. There are some references to her being really scared of all the water around her in the dialogue but she still jumps into the water without hesitation and, what's even more weird, she can actually swim! I mean, I don't want to seem like a nitpicker and I am still very interested in this game but when I first heard of it it seemed like it was a really cool, innovative game. Judging by all the new material we've seen of it lately it seems like just another action-adventure inspired by Prince Of Persia, Tomb Raider and Uncharted.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-07-10, 23:28
Its looks promiseing but like Zebra just said, reminds me a hell of a lot of tobm raider/uncharted/prince of persia :/ The environments however are right up my street, and it sort of reminds me of an action-packed titanic. I have mild hydrophobia so yeah, it really appeals to me but I'm not totally blown away by this :o
I'll be keeping an eye on things... :pi:

RockSteady101
28-07-10, 23:36
I just read about that game from the synopsis above and I've NEVER been so drawn in to a game for as long as I can remember I actually got excited without seeing anything about it - then the trailer was a bit, well, where's the fear? Having said it looks and sounds amazing and I'll have my eye on it.

-DaNnEe..
28-07-10, 23:38
Looks decent. I'll give it ago probably.

xXhayleyroxXx
28-07-10, 23:39
I just read about that game from the synopsis above and I've NEVER been so drawn in to a game for as long as I can remember I actually got excited without seeing anything about it - then the trailer was a bit, well, where's the fear? Having said it looks and sounds amazing and I'll have my eye on it.

I was thinking that... where are the spinning fan blades, deep; dark drains, strange thinking swimming in the water? weird coloured pools and the spooky atmosphere? Like you I was really excited when I read the plot but the trailer didnt do it for me :/ But like I said I'll still keep an eye on it.

michaeldt
29-07-10, 00:10
its on PSN? :confused: I thought it was XBLA exclusive?

RockSteady101
29-07-10, 01:06
I was thinking that... where are the spinning fan blades, deep; dark drains, strange thinking swimming in the water? weird coloured pools and the spooky atmosphere? Like you I was really excited when I read the plot but the trailer didnt do it for me :/ But like I said I'll still keep an eye on it.

Even like a heart rate system, get to close to water or swim for to long you die or go into shock, thus dying? Would work, or your vision gets severely messed up

Zebra
29-07-10, 01:24
Yeah. It would be really cool if the player had to ease her into the thought of going into the water. At first, maybe she would start to move very slowly and maybe even "disobey" the player whenever she gets close to water and with each time you would try it (or also with "Get into the water or you die"-kinda situations), she would get more comfortable with it until she'd be able to wade through it. But she really shouldn't be able to swim. And if, then it certainly should look way more amateurish because someone with hydrophobia wouldn't know how to swim correctly. And if he did, he wouldn't have hydrophobia, anymore :p.

its on PSN? :confused: I thought it was XBLA exclusive?

It'll be only on XBLA for a few months and will later get a PSN release. From what I've heard, it might even get a retail release later on if it's well-received (Not sure how safe that info is, though).

TRexbait
29-07-10, 01:28
I was surprised by the fact that there was underwater action in the game. What happened to the fear of water? :confused:

And I like RockSteady101's heart rate idea. :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
29-07-10, 01:53
I've had my eye on this for quite sometime, it looks promising. :)

Zebra
29-07-10, 03:30
I was surprised by the fact that there was underwater action in the game. What happened to the fear of water? :confused:

It's especially embarrassing for the developers as the game's name is Hydrophobia :p. I mean, if the fear of water is not gonna play a large role in the game, then they've obviously chosen the wrong title.

QiX
29-07-10, 03:54
A character is forced to face her fear, it's obvious. It's the cathartic element of the story, adds more drama to the plot than if she was a professional scuba diver ;)

*laralover*
29-07-10, 09:15
Looks interesting :)

]{eith
29-07-10, 11:28
I was really interested in this game but the recent trailer isn't very impressive, it looks rather bland. Hopefully it's just a poor trailer and not representative of the final game.

xXhayleyroxXx
29-07-10, 12:03
Even like a heart rate system, get to close to water or swim for to long you die or go into shock, thus dying? Would work, or your vision gets severely messed up

i like the heart rate system :tmb: I still would have wanted scarier things in the water though :( My mild hydrophobia comes from drains and weird things in the water and thats what I was expecting from this -- y'know sort of Titanic scary? :/ I have it even worse on games :p

RockSteady101
29-07-10, 21:34
Is it not a retail game?

Carbonek_0051
30-07-10, 01:42
Is it not a retail game?

Nope, it's going to be a downloadable title. :)

jarekhanzelka
19-08-10, 18:04
http://n-joy.cz/video/n-joy/754yyrdfdauu1w2p

I dunno...attractivity wise, it's got a decreasing tendency to me.

robm_2007
19-08-10, 18:56
this looks cool.

t-raider26
27-08-10, 04:10
So, the game i supposed to be released in August 2010. Yet there are only 3 days left in August and no release date's been announced... WTF

Alex Fly
27-08-10, 10:38
As far as I know they never announced a release date yet. Anyway I think the release date might be not too far, at least for the 360, because this is what I just came across :

=> The List of Achievements of the game is already unveiled (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydrophobia/achievements/)

Trigger_happy
27-08-10, 10:41
So, the game i supposed to be released in August 2010. Yet there are only 3 days left in August and no release date's been announced... WTF

It was, according to sources from Wikipedia, meant to launch in March, but nothing happened.

xXhayleyroxXx
27-08-10, 11:50
It still doesn't make me want to buy it :/

This is a scary screenshot for me though:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hydrophobia/showimg-34/

Tear
28-09-10, 21:10
This is supposed to come out the 29th, no? I haven't seen anything about it being released tomorrow...

Carbonek_0051
28-09-10, 21:18
The official site says tomorrow. I am going to try the trial before I buy it, I really want it but I have other games I plan on getting. But if this ends up being really good I'll get it.

Tear
28-09-10, 21:19
^It looks really good, imo. :)
I really wish it were a full game on a disc though.

Trigger_happy
29-09-10, 00:55
I just saw a review for it on N4G, so a release should be soon.

Tear
29-09-10, 05:16
^Yeah, IGN has a review now as well. Perhaps it will be on there tomorrow. *crosses fingers*

michaeldt
29-09-10, 06:28
so, when does PSN get it again? :confused:

trlestew
29-09-10, 10:49
On an unknown date.

MyRaider4Life
29-09-10, 11:25
Does anybody know the download size because the game looks like it could take a large piece of my internet.

------------

I just found out the size and it is amazingly only 1GB, I cannot believe that they can fit such a good looking game into such a small file size!

Trigger_happy
29-09-10, 12:00
The reviews are coming in, and the are distinctly average- maybe its a good thing the PS3 version will like never arrive?

Spong
03-10-10, 03:14
...I cannot believe that they can fit such a good looking game into such a small file size!

It doesn't look that great. It looks good, but it's not polished.

I got it this afternoon, I was somewhat perturbed at first by the low scores it got in the reviews (I haven't actually read any but I was told it scored poorly). So I got the trial, played through that, and enjoyed it enough to fork out the 1200MSP for it.

It's a bit clunky in places, I can't lie. I'm only on Act 2 of (apparently) 3 Acts, and I can't help thinking they should've gone for the full 2GB download, if only to refine the gameplay. The camera's not too intelligent at all, especially when Kate's treading water in a small air pocket. The climbing and exploration is kinda disjointed, jumping between ledges and such feels stiff and awkward. I've had Kate get stuck beneath an object at one point, the camera was tripping out so bad that I couldn't tell what was going on. She also gets a bit confused as to whether she should be walking or swimming sometimes when the water's at certain heights (a problem exacerbated by the water physics, like when she gets hit by a wave).

I like using the MAVI to find Ciphers, uncover secret messages and activate stuff. I know it's a blatant rip-off of the scan visor from Metroid Prime, but I always liked that so it's okay. The combat is, for the most part, okay. They've been pretty ambitious with it and it's really quite pleasantly tactical if you want to stealth your way through each section to try and take out the goons using the environment. There's some flaws in the duck & cover system when you get involved in proper gunfights though. Kate sometimes doesn't react fast enough (or at all) when you're trying to dart between cover spots or vault over objects. That sluggishness has led to a few deaths.

Despite my varying qualms, I'm still enjoying it. Weirdly. And on a technical side, the game locked up at one point during Act 2. When I restarted and reloaded the autosave, my 360 kept crashing every time. I had to restart the entire Act from the beginning :mad:. Luckily, the problem hasn't resurfaced.

EDIT
One more thing, DON'T play it on an SDTV. The text is tinier than the tiniest thing in the universe. I had to play it like that round at my friend's place this afternoon and it was terrible. There's a lot of documentation to be read that Kate collects and I nearly gave myself eye strain before I gave up reading them.

Catracoth
03-10-10, 03:58
I tried the demo today. Horrible game.

MyRaider4Life
03-10-10, 04:42
Someone is a little cranky...

Hydrophobia developer defends game, attacks critics
By Ben Kuchera

Sometimes good people make bad games. Sometimes bad people make good games. Sometimes you make a middling game and make the situation much worse by attacking and annoying game reviewers who share their honest opinions. Such is the case with Hydrophobia, developed by Dark Energy Digital, a newly released Xbox Live Arcade title that has been gathering some mixed reviews.

The company's strategy for fighting back is to attack the credibility of the sites that didn't like the game, and borderline harass writers who speak out against it. At what point does damage control go too far?

Edge "clearly haven't played the game"

Edge is known for rougher than average reviews, and the publication didn't much care for Hydrophobia. "The bugs that inhabit the waters of Hydrophobia are another concern. Ranging from fatal scenery clipping to an awkward inventory display that implies a lack of ammunition until a weapon is equipped, it indicates a title either unfinished, unpolished or simply unprepared for a world of digitally delivered games..." the review stated.

Deborah Jones is the creative director of Dark Energy Digital, the developer of Hydrophobia. "Clearly, they haven’t played the game,” she told VG247. "We’re extremely frustrated by the review. We’ve got reviews that are absolutely outstanding that say they love the product... If they don’t do the review properly, they shouldn’t do a review at all."

"We believe that the game hasn’t even been played," joint creative director Peter Jones repeated.

These are serious accusations, and Edge responded that their reviewer had, in fact, played the game to completion, along with its bonus content. This isn't the only publication that had issues dealing with the fallout of a bad score.

Negative Tweets are SERIOUS BUSINESS

Jim Sterling writes for Destructoid, and he mentioned on Twitter that Hydrophobia was not his favorite game. Jones apparently saw this message, and did something odd—she called Samit Sarkar, the site's sports writer. She wanted to talk to Jim Sterling, right now.

"She was very forward, very pushy, and if you ask me, completely out of line," Nick Chester, the Editor in Chief of Destructoid, told Ars. "It's one thing to try to contact a writer or even that writer's superior to discuss content that's been run—it happens, usually in an attempt to do damage control—but it's another to bother someone's co-worker based on a tweet. We're not even talking about content we had run on the site at this point.

"She also said something to the effect of 'We've put three and a half years into this game, and you just don't get those kind of scores if the game is bad," in reference to one review—OXM, I believe—that gave it a high score and praise."

According to Chester, she demanded Jim's phone number, saying that if he was playing the game wrong she needed to correct it. "After this incident, she called again, no more than an hour later," Chester explained. "Same pressure. Same spiel. She wanted to speak with the author of the tweet now, and later emailed him with similar complaints and requests that she had leveled at Samit earlier."

Chester understands the idea of a developer wanting to defend their game, but this crosses the line of regular PR work. "Working for nearly four years on a title, it can't feel good to see it being panned. I think casually reaching out to an outlet about poor coverage is okay, and I get why it's done. It happens often, and generally goes nowhere with us," he explained. "But I think more the point, she suggested that the game was being 'played wrong.' Which is absurd."

Games need to stand on their own, and if a developer feels they have to walk writers through the game, that's not a good sign. "I also think that it shows poor judgment on their part that they're so eager to publicly stomp on any poor reviews, flat out calling them wrong and calling into question the integrity of the reviewers."

It sounds like the nightmare is just beginning for Sterling. "Oh s**t. Speaking of which, I just noticed I have half a dozen missed calls from Hydrophobia's creative director, no fooling!" he posted to Twitter this morning.

Why this is such bad news

It's hard to escape the pull of developer and publisher interference when reviewing a game, and being told that the developer needs you to play a certain way is bad news. Gamers as a whole won't have the people behind the game showing them how it's done, and neither should reviewers. Harassing co-workers of writers who tweet about games isn't going to make your case.

We've played Hydrophobia, having received a review code, and we feel Sterling's pain. It's not fun. The platforming mechanics feel terrible, the water looks like a thick oil, the voice acting is annoying. I shut it off in about an hour in order to make time for another review. Sterling didn't have that luxury; he was assigned the story and had to play every last terrible drop. Of course that made him cranky, and having talked to Jim on a few occasions, I have a feeling that telling him he played the game "wrong" is not going to improve the score. Quite the opposite.

"Just to clarify, we have been receiving some excellent reviews and reviews can be mixed, particularly when you are doing something a little bit different than the norm," Jones told Ars when we asked about her communication with writers. "We absolutely believe in the freedom of the press to make a fair and independent assessment of a game's merit. And we believe it is our role as a developer to independently provide materials to facilitate a fair and accurate review." She confirms that she did contact Sterling to ask if he needed any information on the game, and included her e-mails in her response to Ars.

It's clear that Dark Energy Digital cares about the game, but in defending it so aggressively and making claims about how reviews were written it runs the risk of becoming the story themselves, instead of controlling it.

Source (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/09/hydrophobia-developer-defends-game-attacks-critics.ars)

H4RR7H
03-10-10, 05:02
^ That Deborah Jones sounds frightful to deal with :yik:

I purchased the full game from XBLA, and am about 2/3rds through it. I quite like it and hope to see the Hydro-engine incorporated in other future titles :tmb:

Spong
03-10-10, 05:27
LOL, cheers for that bit of news MyRaider4Life :tmb:, looks like Deborah Jones needs to take a chill pill :vlol:

That thing that Edge said about the ammo in the inventory is spot on, it tripped me right out when I first noticed it. You pick up some ammo and, when you look at it in the inventory, it says 0/6. It should say 6 of 6 but doesn't (and won't) until you equip that ammo to the gun.

Tear
03-10-10, 05:30
I played the demo. It was good enough for me to buy, but I still have quite a few problems with it... I probably won't rush to get it, maybe in a few weeks.:)

michaeldt
03-10-10, 10:06
so.... it wont come to PSN then? :(

Alex Fly
03-10-10, 10:47
Well the developers said it will in the past but I suppose we just have to wait a little bit longer. The 360 version seemed to be the priority.

I hope they didn't change their plan of course...

lara c. fan
03-10-10, 10:52
I hope they didn't change their plan of course...

So do I. I was considering getting this come Christmas. Ah well. They have 2 months! :p

Catracoth
03-10-10, 11:46
The creative director sounds like a twat.

LightningRider
03-10-10, 11:49
After what she said, I don't think I want to buy the game anymore.

Not like I could, but still.

Catracoth
03-10-10, 11:52
If I had read this before I tried the demo, I never would have given the game the time of day.

lara c. fan
03-10-10, 12:10
Why let the creative director being an idiot interfere with you enjoying the game? Sounds a bit stupid, if you ask me.

Spong
03-10-10, 15:39
If I had read this before I tried the demo, I never would have given the game the time of day.

There was me thinking you were an adult and capable of making your own mind up. I knew the game had scored badly, I hadn't read Deborah Jones' thing, but neither stopped me from playing the demo (or would've stopped me) and enjoying it to the point that I bought it. Ultimately, I couldn't care less what a reviewer may or may not say, they're not me.

jarekhanzelka
03-10-10, 15:47
The game more and more reminds of Twin Sector...which is a bad thing...

Agent 47
03-10-10, 16:10
There was me thinking you were an adult and capable of making your own mind up. I knew the game had scored badly, I hadn't read Deborah Jones' thing, but neither stopped me from playing the demo (or would've stopped me) and enjoying it to the point that I bought it. Ultimately, I couldn't care less what a reviewer may or may not say, they're not me.

That's why i don't bother with reviews. I make my own mind up as it's the best way to do things :D

Spong
03-10-10, 16:15
That's why i don't bother with reviews. I make my own mind up as it's the best way to do things :D

Well said :tmb:
I'm always interested to know what the general consensus is, but if I like something, someone badmouthing it won't stop me. Hydrophobia being a good example. I've still not actually seen any reviews of it, apparently Eurogamer only gave it 4/10.

EDIT
I just completed the story.
I still like it, despite the numerous flaws. I've become fully accustomed with the controls, although it felt as though I learnt the hard way most of the time. Had 28 medals by the end and 7 of the 12 achievements. The medals seem like more fun to go for than the achievements. I've opened up the Challenge Rooms and had a quick look. Why the hell can't Kate use the hydro kinetic powers in the main game?

H4RR7H
04-10-10, 07:14
^ IKR? :confused:

I just finished it too. I loved the dynamic water play :jmp:
However, just found out we're going to have to fork out another 2400 points to finish it - getting sick of these "to be continued..." games :mad:

Btw, it looks like the creative directors Deborah Jones & Peter Jones are spouses. Marital issues, anyone? :p

Spong
04-10-10, 12:09
I just finished it too. I loved the dynamic water play :jmp:
However, just found out we're going to have to fork out another 2400 points to finish it - getting sick of these "to be continued..." games :mad:

I didn't know it was part of a supposed trilogy before I first completed it, I didn't know whether to laugh or be genuinely offended when it suddenly hit me with the "to be continued...". It was only when I went mooching around the net to actually see what was being said about the game that I found out. Seeing as Hydro took them three years to make, and considering the the drubbing it's received, I'll be interested to see whether or not Kate ever actually gets to save Scooty. And to be honest, I'll be kind of gutted if I don't get to see it.

Btw, it looks like the creative directors Deborah Jones & Peter Jones are spouses. Marital issues, anyone? :p

Peter Jones? He's one of the dragons in Dragon's Den :eek:
Although you're talking about some other Peter Jones that I've never heard of. I bet things are a bit testy at home for them though LOL :D

Tear
04-10-10, 12:52
I've opened up the Challenge Rooms and had a quick look. Why the hell can't Kate use the hydro kinetic powers in the main game?

Wow, that's disappointing. That was one of the things that attracted me so much...:(

Spong
04-10-10, 13:10
Wow, that's disappointing. That was one of the things that attracted me so much...:(

I recall seeing Kate use the power in some early trailers, but I'd completely forgotten about it by the time I played the game and was only reminded when the Challenge Room opened up. They missed a trick by not including it in the main game :(

CiaKonwerski
06-10-10, 00:43
Just played the trial and loved it, cannot wait to fully purchase it.

yesrushdt
09-10-10, 11:47
Yet another game hampered by WAY too much hand holding/telling you where to go. They really need to include some options to turn the hint text/button prompts/glow in the dark ledges off. I couldn't of deleted the demo fast enough.

Love2Raid
10-10-10, 21:18
I´ve played the trial version, it was pretty good. For an arcade game (actually I mean ´downloadable game´).

I think the controls were a bit odd, but not hard to get used to. I actually liked the camera, you can have good control over it. The water looked impressive, the rest looked okay but definitely not on par with the games that are being released these days. (So it´s good that it´s an arcade game.)

Flashing ledges, why? :hea:
Though I have only played the demo, maybe it prevents a lot of frustration later in the game?

I liked the voice-acting, the animations and how you can collect stuff to find out more about Kate and others.

One thing that was quite dumb was that area with the flooding passageway and closing door. I had already reached the door and could easily make it through, but the game wouldn´t let me. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I like it but not that much that I can´t wait for it. I won´t buy it till every episode is on the marketplace (and play it in one go).

Tear
17-10-10, 18:05
I'm beginning to think this game is more hassle than its worth.:(

For instance, the cover and aiming system. :rolleyes: And the fact that you have a Megaman buster rather than a pistol...

Spong
16-12-10, 18:52
For those of us who bought the game despite the reviews, I saw this story today...

Hydrophobia dev teases revamp

Poor Xbox Live Arcade game Hydrophobia could be in for a revamp after its creators teased a Monday announcement.

"Dark Energy is a community of gamers, and we want those that play our game to enjoy the experience," Pete Jones, joint creative director of Dark Energy Digital said.

"We'd like to thank everybody who has taken the time to produce feedback on our game. We've poured over the data from community feedback and analysed every review, comment or blog we could find."

"Nearly 250 reviews of the game were published, either in physical media or on the net. Some of them made good reading, while others were painful to read. However, to actively listen to the community, we cannot be selective in those we listen to, and there is no point in listening unless we are prepared to act. We have the purest of motivations and we will be announcing our detailed response at 11am GMT on Monday, so we'll be sending a press release your way then."

Simon Parkin came up for air with a 4/10 in Eurogamer's Hydrophobia review.

"The systems beneath the ebb and flow of its technical accomplishment are archaic and, without exception, lack finesse," Parkin wrote. "Arguments that this is a downloadable title, and as such expectations should be suitably lowered, are irrelevant. The game fails to match its ambition, and, in its cumulative small failings, drags the player down into infuriation. By the moment you break the surface of the game's ending, much like its lead character, the abiding feeling is one of relief not enjoyment."

The Manchester-based studio defended the game to Eurogamer after launch, insisting reviewers had missed the point.

"We set out not to produce a third-person shooter," Jones said. "When you're talking about the spread of some of the reviews, some people tried to shoehorn it into the way they perceive a third-person shooter to react."

"This is not a third-person shooter. It's a survival adventure, and the player is using the environment as the prime weapon. That's what they're using to kill the enemy and to get through the game."

"We threw away the rulebook."

Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-16-hydrophobia-dev-teases-revamp)

So, there's an announcement coming on Monday. We may or may not be getting a patch that may or may not overhaul the bad mechanics.

I'll be curious to see what it is :tmb:

interstellardave
16-12-10, 19:15
I just downloaded the demo a couple days ago... haven't tried it yet. Looks interesting but it sounds like it falls short of the mark.

Spong
16-12-10, 19:40
It really falls down on the third-person shooter aspects of the game, it was poorly implemented at best

H4RR7H
16-12-10, 20:26
Interesting Spong :tmb: Will keep my eyes peeled.

Edit: However, isn't it more likely that they'll just be fixing part 2 up against the critique? It would be awesome if part 1 was overhauled with a patch though... Guess we'll have to wait till Monday

Spong
16-12-10, 20:47
Edit: However, isn't it more likely that they'll just be fixing part 2 up against the critique? It would be awesome if part 1 was overhauled with a patch though... Guess we'll have to wait till Monday

That's why I kept saying "may or may not", it may well turn out to be part two, it was always planned. And that would be cool news too :tmb:
But the fact they said they'll "be announcing our detailed response" in reaction to the feedback they got from the first game makes me more inclined to think it'll be a patch.

Like you said, roll on Monday so we can find out...

michaeldt
17-12-10, 00:42
Is it still coming to PS3?

Spong
17-12-10, 01:49
^^I've no idea :confused:

Gamd1011
17-12-10, 02:22
*I plays the demo*

Meh no thanks...

*deletes from hard-drive*

Alex Fly
17-12-10, 09:24
Is it still coming to PS3?
Good question actually. Hope it's still planned, despite the low reviews...

BoyTRaider
17-12-10, 09:39
Their reaction to reviews were absolutely pathetic. How unprofessional can they get?

I was really wanting to give it a go, and I guess from what you guys have said just to sort of look at the pretty water graphics, but after reading that I don't think I'll even bother.

Spong
17-12-10, 09:47
Their reaction to reviews were absolutely pathetic. How unprofessional can they get?

I was really wanting to give it a go, and I guess from what you guys have said just to sort of look at the pretty water graphics, but after reading that I don't think I'll even bother.

Huh? :confused:

Spong
20-12-10, 13:26
Sorry for the double-post, but I didn't want to edit my last post as it wouldn't have bumped the thread.

So, the announcement happened...

Hydrophobia revamp announced

Manchester-based developer Dark Energy Digital wants gamers to give watery Xbox Live Arcade game Hydrophobia a second chance – and to help convince them it has announced the release of a title update it reckons completely changes the game.

The title update, due out tomorrow, 21st December, coincides with a price drop from 1200 MS Points to 800 MS Points. The Trial has also been extended. New and exclusive screens are below.

Pure, as it's called, introduces new button mapping and improved controls, combat, cover and camera systems. You'll also notice clearer damage feedback and objectives. The Pure update was based on feedback from gamers and critics, DED said in an exclusive Eurogamer Hydrophobia interview published today.

As part of its research, DED read 250 reviews of the game. "We even translated all the foreign ones," managing director Pete Jones told Eurogamer.

According to Jones, the infuriation has been eradicated, "If people had a frustrating element of the game, that's been turned around and corrected and it will give them the experience we wanted to."

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-20-hydrophobia-revamp-announced)

And here's the mentioned Eurogamer interview...

Hydrophobia: We did get a few things wrong

When Xbox Live Arcade game Hydrophobia was released to disappointing review scores, Manchester developer Dark Energy Digital hit back. Now, three months after release, DED has slashed the price of the game and prepared what it believes is a "quite remarkable" update, all with a crystal clear message: We have listened.

Here, in a world exclusive interview with the DED triumvirate of managing director Pete Jones, creative director Deborah Jones and senior creative designer Rob Hewson, Eurogamer discovers a mellowed developer prepared to admit its mistakes.

Eurogamer: Why is the update called Pure?

Pete Jones: We called it Pure because it was closest to our original vision for the game. It encapsulates what we wanted to create. We looked through over 250 reviews. Believe it or not, there have been nearly 250 reviews. And we have read and dissected every single bloody one of them. And most of the blogs, well, all the blogs we could find, and all of the comments that were posted.

It's clear that a number of people loved the game and a number of people were really frustrated by the game. In Hydrophobia Pure we believe we've eliminated those frustrations, and therefore it is a pure version of our vision.

Eurogamer: You really read 250 reviews?

Pete Jones: Honestly. We even translated all the foreign ones. I'm absolutely bloody serious. We dissected them into every comment about every functional area and then we used a mapping technique to give those a value. A strongly positive comment was a two. A mildly positive comment was a one. Neutral was zero. Minus one and minus two on the other side of the scale. We could map and look at the community's strength of feeling on each one of the functional areas of the game. There were 70 functional areas we reviewed.

Eurogamer: No one will be able to accuse you of not doing your research, then.

Pete Jones: No. We honestly did it.

Eurogamer: What are the most important areas of the game you have focused on with this update?

Deborah Jones: Controls, cameras and feedback. In fairness sometimes you get a little bit close to what you're doing. You get very excited. We were trying to do something quite innovative with the water and playing with it in a completely different way than has ever been played with in a game before.

Yeah, in some areas we got a little bit close. We mapped the controls to buttons that are not normal button layouts. The map of the buttons was quite complicated for some people, particularly when you have to swim as well. We've addressed those areas. That's the first thing we looked at.

We looked at the fact that you could get lost very easily within the game. We were thinking of it being an immersive experience, but actually for a lot of players that could be really frustrating. We can see that. When you sit back and look at it you do think, yeah, that needs some help there.

We've addressed that issue and we've put waypoints and objective markers throughout the levels. Also we've done it so if the player doesn't want to be handheld all of the time, they'll be able to see all of objective markers all of the time on the map. So they can still have the immersive experience they want, or they could have the objective markers in the world so they know where they're going. Those are the things we've looked at. And I can see how these things can be frustrating.

Pete Jones: I'm reading from Eurogamer's review, actually. You put, "Its cumulative small failings drags the player down into infuriation." It's all those small failings, as you put them, that we've addressed.

In fact, if we took your own review as a benchmark, every single point you raised as a negative in your review has been addressed in this.

Eurogamer: It sounds like you've put in a lot of time and energy into this update. When did you begin work on it?

Deborah Jones: We were looking at the game as soon as it was signed off. We were looking at various things we wanted to improve. We're not a big team. We wanted to listen. We wanted to see what was out there. As soon as we could get some balance on the issues people had, we started to address them. We've been addressing certain things in the background, but then obviously the key points that people raised.

Pete Jones: When we started getting the bulk of the reviews in – because like any game, the reviews come in quite quickly after launch – what we needed was a means of examining all those reviews and clarifying them into a single vision. Otherwise, you read one review, you read a second review and a third and so on, you don't get a coherent picture. You get the highs and the lows and the points that are made, but you don't get them in a systematic way.

We started right from the beginning, right from the first reviews, particularly some of the negative reviews. We took them apart. We started to analyse them, and as soon as we got a critical mass of reviews, which for us was probably around the 50 review mark, we started to break it down into the areas of the game people found frustrating in terms of the feedback. Also we looked at blogs people had put up on the game, and started rectifying it.

We set about it at a very early stage, and it's been a single-minded pursuit ever since.

Eurogamer: Would you agree that early you were angry about how the game had been received, and perhaps now the dust has settled you're more considered and philosophical about the experience?

Deborah Jones: Definitely philosophical. Honestly, we weren't actually angry, even at... Obviously you're disappointed. You can't help but be disappointed. But when you look at it and people have a valid point then you can't possibly be angry about someone's opinion.

Pete Jones: I don't think anger is the right sentiment. We were perhaps on occasion a little too defensive and disappointed. Pride can be a big virtue as well because you need to be intensely proud of something you're creating in any endeavour. And we were proud of it. And we still are proud of the game. Immensely proud of it.

From the start we wanted to make a game that gamers really loved. That was our passion. That's what we wanted to do. And that's still our passion. That's why we created and spent so much time listening to what people wanted.

Deborah Jones: When you play the title update, the camera has seen a lot of work. The camera takes you in so much closer to the screen. Being so far away in the original one caused quite a lot of issues. The camera change, the control mapping, the fact you can get into cover so easily, just makes the game much more pleasurably to play.

We loved it as it was, but in fairness, we were probably too close.

Pete Jones: To just underline the point about getting too close, when we finished it we happened to be playing another game, which will remain nameless, at home, and I kept dying. The reason I was dying was because I'd remapped my brain to the control system in Hydrophobia and kept pressing the wrong damn button all the time.

Deborah Jones: The damage feedback is one very important area we picked up on. Originally you could die from fire in the area and not know why you'd died or what the cause was. Now that doesn't happen. You know where the damage is coming from and it's more balanced. We used to quite enjoy that, but that was because we were, again, too close.

Pete Jones: The fact we've managed to do all of this within a title update is almost voodoo. It's down to the fact the game is created with InfiniteWorlds. It allows us to do huge amounts within an impossibly small memory amount. It really is a huge technical achievement.

Eurogamer: Why are you dropping the price of the game to 800 MS Points?

Pete Jones: We were really hard-nosed about it. Every decision we've taken on Hydrophobia Pure was based on feedback. Part of the feedback, if you look at the stats, there was a desire for the game to be at 800 rather than 1200.

Eurogamer: So you had always wanted it to be at 800?

Deborah Jones: It's not our pricing structure. It's Microsoft's pricing structure and it's not our decision at the end of the day. It has to fit in with Microsoft's vision. It was Microsoft's vision to have it at 1200 Points, well joint vision, really. 800 Points is a fair price for a great product.

Pete Jones: We've looked at the feedback and we've responded to the feedback. Our line to our programmers, artists and designers has been, the defining factor on what happens in this update is the feedback from the community. We've followed that on every single line: on the graphics, animation, camera and damage. And we took exactly the same line on value for money.

The balance of feedback was that it should be 800 Points and we've made it 800 Points.

Eurogamer: You include in your press release a quote from Mark Coates from Microsoft. How did your relationship evolve after the game launched?

Deborah Jones: I don't think it's changed. Our relationship with Microsoft is excellent and they've been brilliant. I must say they've been absolutely superb throughout the whole process.

Pete Jones: These comments are not comments because we happen to be in a conference call with Eurogamer. We couldn't have done what we've done without the implicit and close cooperation of Microsoft. They've been bloody superb in every quarter. That's not a lithe comment, either. We really mean that.

They took our vision of what we wanted to create. They've run with it and they've facilitated a very swift turnaround. And here we are with this quite remarkable title update. There hasn't been any change. They've always been supportive and they've remained so after the game launched.

Deborah Jones: If you ask us, would we have liked to have had this title update out at launch, the answer is obviously yes, but we didn't know at that point. In hindsight it would have been a wonderful thing to have had done all these things initially.

Pete Jones: In many ways it's changed the way we look at our game and our studio and the way we do things. We hired a suite in the big shopping mall that sits in the middle of Manchester, the Manchester Arndale, to interview gamers. We bribed, cajoled and persuaded gamers to come in to a suite we booked. We had a prepared questionnaire for after they'd played through the game, which went into all the areas we'd received feedback on from the community. That was a huge document. We did that over a hundred respondents.

We also booked rooms in Bolton University – they were most helpful. We even did a control group to research what the public thought independently, how their results stacked up against the professional reviewers results. We honestly have done our homework and we've continued to do that.

Deborah Jones: We did get a few things wrong, but we have listened. We hope the community will appreciate the changes.

Eurogamer: First impressions are very important in gaming. If you have one message for Xbox 360 gamers about Hydrophobia, what is it?

Pete Jones: The first thing you have to bear in mind is the majority of reviews were positive. The majority were over 70 per cent, statistically. The majority of 360 gamers who downloaded the game, their experience was a good one. To them, we're rewarding them with the title update because it works on a game that's already been purchased and updates it in the same way any title would. It provides them with a new experience.

If people had a frustrating element of the game, that's been turned around and corrected and it will give them the experience we wanted to.

Otherwise, frankly, it's damned if you do and damned if you don't. The argument is, if you know there's an element of the game that produced frustration among a proportion of gamers, the opposite argument is, is it the right thing to leave it there and not address it and listen to the community?

We feel, rightly or wrongly, that the right answer is to listen to the community and give the community what it wants, to give something back.

Perhaps other people ought to listen to the community more. There are a lot of games I've played where I've had frustrations with an element of the game, and none of those were ever fixed. Now, in an age where you can download a product so quickly, and we have a technology that uniquely allows us to provide this level of change, it would be inherently wrong if we just sat back and said, "Well that's it. You've got to enjoy what we've produced.

It would be better, frankly, if more games took the same attitude.

Rob Hewson: That's something that will continue as well. For future projects, gamers know we're going to be listening to their input for sequels and other projects.

Deborah Jones: When you get positive reviews, obviously you're elated. When they're negative you do feel it quite personally. Everybody on the team wanted to give something back and say, "Look, here we are guys, we've listened to you, we wanted to improve it for you."

That's for us as well, for our own satisfaction, because you feel for everything you do.

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-20-hydrophobia-we-did-get-a-few-things-wrong-interview)

I've not read through the interview yet, but I'm pleased the game is getting its title update tomorrow. I look forwards to giving Hydrophobia Pure another playthrough :tmb:

EDIT
Read the interview now, most interesting. Seems like DED took a much needed sabbatical. I really hope it's paid off. Roll on tomorrow...

Tear
20-12-10, 13:35
^So it's just an update? And it comes out tomorrow?:yah: That makes me so excited.

The game was a mess, so glad it's getting cleaned up.

Spong
20-12-10, 13:46
Yeah, a title update, but it sounds like the game's been given quite an overhaul.

I liked the game, I could see what it was trying to be, but the technicalities of badly implemented gameplay really dragged it down. Fingers crossed that the update eradicates that, it sounds promising :D

And a price drop too :tmb:

MyRaider4Life
20-12-10, 13:47
Hearing this news makes me want to actually give the trial a try this time 'round. The game always looked visually good, but the reviews made the game sound just horrid to play.

michaeldt
20-12-10, 13:49
PS3 version? eh-em -_-

Spong
20-12-10, 13:51
Hearing this news makes me want to actually give the trial a try this time 'round. The game always looked visually good, but the reviews made the game sound just horrid to play.

You shouldn't let other people sully or define your own opinion, especially if you've not tried the game yourself. I'd definitely recommend you at give the demo a go (with the patch) :tmb:

PS3 version? eh-em -_-

Looks like that isn't going to happen. I could be wrong though.

MyRaider4Life
20-12-10, 14:05
You shouldn't let other people sully or define your own opinion, especially if you've not tried the game yourself. I'd definitely recommend you at give the demo a go (with the patch) :tmb:

Looks like that isn't going to happen. I could be wrong though.

I definitely will be trying it after watching the Pure trailer, looks very good overall. Also, they are planning a PC and PS3 release next year. Well, that's what their wikipedia page says. :p

Spong
20-12-10, 14:10
I definitely will be trying it after watching the Pure trailer, looks very good overall.

Good for you :tmb:
Hope you enjoy it :D

Also, they are planning a PC and PS3 release next year. Well, that's what their wikipedia page says. :p

Pfft...Wikipedia :p
But it might happen I guess, I'm just going by the lack of confirmation from DED.

Alex Fly
20-12-10, 14:15
Great initiative from them ! :tmb:

Love2Raid
20-12-10, 14:23
I´ll surely buy this if it´s indeed majorly updated and only 800 points. Sounds like a good deal. :)

Tear
20-12-10, 14:25
Well, now I wish I hadn't paid the full price for it.:rolleyes: I haven't even completed it!:p

Spong
20-12-10, 14:30
Great initiative from them ! :tmb:

Agreed. It's nice to see developers taking on feedback and seemingly acting on it. It's just a shame Deborah Jones had to embarrass herself (and the developer) by lashing out at reviewers when the game was first released. I think she's been chomping her way through a big ol' slice of humble pie since.

King.Louie
20-12-10, 17:21
i really hope this comes to psn

Alex Fly
20-12-10, 18:54
So do I... :)

H4RR7H
20-12-10, 21:05
Ooh this is good news :jmp: Spong have you tried it yet with the update? :D
*Goes to see if it's up*

Edit: Not up yet :o :(

I'll sure be motivated to go get all those collectibles if it's patched

Edit Edit: Oh my word :eek: Look at that beautiful bold stuff. I am very impressed with this rare kind of turnaround, wish every game took half a year to make uber improvements agagagah! :tmb:
The climbing sounds way more like TR too lol! And LMAO they redid the voice acting!! :vlol:

Hydrophobia Pure - Updates:

Graphics

* Improved Graphics
* Character dynamic self-shadowing
* Enhanced lighting
* Improved textures
* Better water spray effects
* Improved water reflection and refraction
* Enhanced electricity effects
* Environmental geometry tweaks
* Additional video texture work

Physics

* Physics Enhancements
* Increased number of dynamic objects
* More realistic character water resistance
* Explosive forces re-balanced

Controls, Cameras, Animation

* Overhauled Camera System
* Camera positioned closer to character
* Improved tracking of the action
* Enhanced collision detection
* Better FOV for framing the action
* Improved Movement and Animations
* More fluid and precise character control
* Improved character animations add realism
* Enhanced animation transitions make the character more weighty

Platforming and Climbing

* All New Climbing System
* Continuous hand-over-hand climbing system added
* All new, more realistic animations
* More fluid climbing controls and movement
* Automatic ledge grab functionality
* Improved swing mechanic
* Improved jump-from-balance mechanic

Control Layout

* Switch to a more traditional control layout
* A to jump
* LT to aim
* RB to detonate enhanced Gel and Energy Rounds

Dialogue and Cutscenes

* Dialogue Re-edit
* Dialogue has been pruned
* Irritating or extraneous lines cut
* Cutscenes Re-edit
* Cutscenes reviewed and edited
* Overly long cutscenes shortened

Collectables

* Collectables Interface Improved
* Emails and E-Books no longer interrupt gameplay when collected
* Collectables re-positioned throughout levels
* Points awarded for collectables tweaked

New Waypoint System

* Waypoints for every objective and sub objective
* Choose permanent on-screen waypoints or new MAVI only mode
* Waypoints added for Ciphers and Frequency Keys with colour coding
* Corpses with Frequency Keys glow orange for easy identification

Map

* Improved controls and button layout
* Default view of Kate’s position
* Toggle Kate’s position / objective location manually
* Easier to navigate

Prompts

* Prompts re-worked for better clarity
* Prompt triggering reviewed and improved

Tutorials

* Video tutorials cut back
* Improved in game tutorials
* New tutorial puzzles

Wading Improved

* Enhanced physical character feedback from water forces
* Improved transitions between wade states

Swimming Enhanced

* Improved swimming controls, more finely balanced
* 180 degree swim turn removed
* Improved camera behaviour when swimming
* Underwater combat system streamlined

Puzzle Improvements

* Improved feedback for Cipher and Frequency Keys
* Ciphers re-positioned for greater accessibility
* New mission orders related to Ciphers add to the backstory
* Existing puzzles refined where possible
* New electric puzzle elements added

Damage System Improved

* Kate no longer unfairly damaged/killed by unseen elements
* Fire/electrical damage reduced
* Combat damage re-balanced

Overhauled Damage Feedback

* Monochrome health feedback system implemented
* Enhanced directional damage indication
* Heartbeat force feedback and SFX added
* Audio ducking system improves health feedback

All New Oxygen Feedback System

* Oxygen bar added
* Heartbeat force feedback and SFX added
* Phobia effect for oxygen feedback enhanced
* Phobia audio hallucinations added
* FOV pulse added for drowning feedback
* Phobia warping effect removed from non-submerged sections

Combat and Cover Systems

* Overhauled Combat System
* Automatic weapon holster/unholster system
* Seamless integration of combat / non-combat systems
* Improved aim reticule
* Aim remapped to LT
* Destructible objects highlighted more clearly
* Destructible objects easier to hit
* A greater supply of ammo throughout the levels
* AI improved and enemies rebalanced
* More enemies and more engaging combat design

Weapons Improved

* Sonic Rounds overheat removed
* Sonic Rounds charge time halved
* Sonic Rounds do more damage to NPCs and are lethal
* Multiple Gel and Energy Rounds can be deployed simultaneously
* Deployed Gel/Energy rounds can be detonated as a group

All New Cover System

* Smoother transitions in and out of cover
* Easier and more intuitive to get in and out of cover
* Toggle cover whether armed or unarmed
* All new animations make cover system more realistic

Checkpoints and Reloading

* Checkpoint positions reviewed and improved
* More checkpoints
* Automated and faster reload after death

Levels and Game Balance

* Design Improvements
* Vent behaviour improved
* General level design tweaks
* AI numbers and positioning improved
* Ammo amount and placement improved
* Collectable placement improved
* Gameplay balance improved throughout

Spong
20-12-10, 21:40
@H4RR7H
I've not got my hands on the update yet, no. It's only 22:40 here, I'm guessing the update won't go live until about 08:00 tomorrow morning. But, even then, I've still got to go to a friend's place in order to connect my 360 to XBL (I'm using mobile broadband here at home). But I'll definitely be getting it. And after reading the huuuge list of improvements included in the patch (many thanks for posting that btw, I've been looking everywhere :tmb:), I'm looking forwards to it even more :D

Dingaling
21-12-10, 00:43
Indeed that list of improvements is commendable and it's great to see a developer take on the feedback they got and use it to turn their game into a better one. I somewhat enjoyed the trial but so many things annoyed me (including the awful VA) that I never bought it. I'll take another look at the game when this patch goes live though, plus at a lower price it's far more enticing to buy (there's been a few games I've been really wanting to buy but at 1200 MSPoints I've sat on the fence despite thoroughly enjoying the trials - Costume Quest for example).

matrix54
21-12-10, 01:25
that's some update O.O

H4RR7H
21-12-10, 01:31
Apparently the updated 800MP version will also be renamed to Hydrophobia Pure ;)

Still no update up :/

Spong
21-12-10, 05:19
Apparently the updated 800MP version will also be renamed to Hydrophobia Pure ;)

I'm assuming the patch will update the original game to that title too. Not that it ultimately matters.

EDIT

Yes the trial includes all the updated systems and has also been extended to allow you to sample more of the game :)

I didn't notice that comment at Eurogamer before, it appears as though it's from someone at DED. So the demo will definitely be patched and extended. Along with the price drop (that's supposedly permanent), I think new players are getting a good deal :tmb:

michaeldt
21-12-10, 09:02
how big is the patch?

Spong
21-12-10, 09:22
how big is the patch?

That's something I'm really curious to find out myself. I think the biggest patch to date is GT5 on PS3, something like 600MB. I don't think the Hydrophobia patch will be anywhere near that, but I don't think it'll be a couple of MB either.

EDIT
LOL, I sit corrected. The patch is a mere 4MB. DED obviously used some kind of special coding crowbar to jam all the improvements into it :D

Alex Fly
21-12-10, 17:01
* looks at the list *

Wow massive update ! Kudos to the developers ! :eek:

H4RR7H
21-12-10, 19:27
4MB indeed spong. And wow! This game just went from frustrating to easily enjoyable! :jmp:

I'll definitely be looking out for part 2 now - whereas previously I would have been hesitant :D

Spong
22-12-10, 11:00
4MB indeed spong. And wow! This game just went from frustrating to easily enjoyable! :jmp:

I'll definitely be looking out for part 2 now - whereas previously I would have been hesitant :D

That's bizarre because, apart from some obvious changes in visuals, I've not noticed any difference in the way the game plays whatsoever. How weird's that? But I'm only halfway through my replay so far.

I'll still be on the lookout for a sequel though, I'm invested now.

H4RR7H
22-12-10, 23:28
You haven't? :eek:

I've noticed the cutscenes are far more refined, the animations and combat are improved, the climbing system is far smoother and faster and the new controls are more natural :tmb:

And (present although vague) self-shadowing :jmp: that's the only visual aspect I've noticed... It's also far easier to play with way points everywhere now :D

Spong
23-12-10, 04:49
I've noticed the cutscenes are far more refined, the animations and combat are improved, the climbing system is far smoother and faster and the new controls are more natural :tmb:

And (present although vague) self-shadowing :jmp: that's the only visual aspect I've noticed... It's also far easier to play with way points everywhere now :D

Apart from the clunky fights, I never really paid enough attention the first time though to notice the differences this time round. Like what you said about the cutscenes, they seem no different to me. I should've played through the game again before I got the patch.

H4RR7H
24-12-10, 02:20
The camera is also far closer and center to Kate, while in combat it goes over shoulder.

The combat & cover system is far more pruned and easier.

More objects are under physics like the chairs in her apartment, Kate also interacts with dead bodies now.

There's more I can't remember to tell you about :jmp: I noticed heaps, it's far better :p

Spong
24-12-10, 09:24
The camera is also far closer and center to Kate, while in combat it goes over shoulder.

The combat & cover system is far more pruned and easier.

More objects are under physics like the chairs in her apartment, Kate also interacts with dead bodies now.

There's more I can't remember to tell you about :jmp: I noticed heaps, it's far better :p

I noticed the camera being closer straight away, everything else though? Seems the same to me. Like I say, I should've played through the game again before I patched it.

matrix54
26-12-10, 01:47
I got some microsoft points today (:jmp:), and with the new patch, I'm wondering if it's worth downloading now.

snork
26-12-10, 12:35
And a price drop too :tmb:

I am wondering - Do those who bought the "original" version get the update for free, or do you have to pay another 800 points, or some discount on the 800 points ?

Tear
26-12-10, 14:00
^I had the original version, and I just signed into live and it updated it automatically when I went to the game.:)

Linoshi Croft
13-01-11, 14:43
What is the update ??

Well if you played the game , it kinda ends abruptly. I was shocked so many questions were unanswered. For instance the women who allowed the terrorist to take over this ship , the main character knew her but from where and how? Is scoot alive ? Is the main character alive ? Do you think there will be a sequel with such an abrupt game or do you think the game was just designed to show of this amazing water engine and that's that! ( It is pretty amazing tbh )

Trigger_happy
13-01-11, 15:34
What is the update ??

Well if you played the game , it kinda ends abruptly. I was shocked so many questions were unanswered. For instance the women who allowed the terrorist to take over this ship , the main character knew her but from where and how? Is scoot alive ? Is the main character alive ? Do you think there will be a sequel with such an abrupt game or do you think the game was just designed to show of this amazing water engine and that's that! ( It is pretty amazing tbh )

The game is meant to be in 'episodes', so it will continue. Think of it as like a telly series- there's a new episode every week type of thing.

Linoshi Croft
13-01-11, 16:11
Does anyone know when it will continue :vlol: Cause I want to play some more

Spong
26-01-11, 22:24
Some more news from DED in the wake of Hydrophobia Pure. Seems like they're taking their public relations and wish for feedback seriously in order to make sure the next instalments of Hydrophobia are as good as they can be...

Hydrophobia Listening Post launched

Hydrophobia developer Dark Energy Digital has launched a website designed to gather gamer feedback it'll use to aid the creation of future Hydrophobia games.

The Hydrophobia Listening Post (http://www.hydrophobia-game.com/listening.php) allows users to rate every feature of Hydrophobia Pure, the new and improved version of Hydrophobia released December last year.

The information gathered will help the Manchester studio develop future games in the Hydrophobia universe, it said this morning.

"We launched Hydrophobia Pure after conducting extensive research into the issues players and critics had and the features you wanted to see included," joint creative director Pete Jones said.

"We were absolutely blown away by the response you gave us, and the reception Hydrophobia Pure received. We believe there should be a two way relationship between developer and players, and as such we are committed to continuing the philosophy of collecting and acting upon your feedback to our games."

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-26-hydrophobia-listening-post-launched)

The survey consists of 29 questions covering presentation, general gameplay, combat gameplay and story. You can vote and post comments if you feel the need :tmb:

I've just spent ages voting and commenting.

Love2Raid
26-01-11, 23:19
That´s a great idea. I really like that they actually doing something with the critique. :tmb:

Anyway, this reminds me, I have read, here (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7353-What-s-On-Xbox-Live-For-The-End-of-January-and-Beginning-of-February.html), that this game will be Deal of the Week very soon. You can get it for only 400 points, haha. Now is the chance to get it people, if you hadn´t already. :)

This is only for Gold members though. :o

Spong
26-01-11, 23:44
That's a damn good price :eek:
Shame it's for Gold members only though :(

TippingWater
27-01-11, 01:20
I wish it was also available for the PC !:D

Alex Fly
26-04-11, 18:09
Hydrophobia Prophecy announced for PC, PSN; Episode 2 still in the works

http://i55.************/2vl896v.jpg

Dark Energy Digital has announced Hydrophobia Prophecy, which they’re referring to as the “ultimate version” of Hydrophobia and Hydrophobia Pure – “It’s Hydrophobia 1.5, really,” managing director Deborah Jones told Eurogamer. They’ve opted not to just port the game, instead creating something new. “The game includes new levels – around 70 per cent of the game is new – and existing levels have been reworked,” Eurogamer reported.

That’s not all Dark Energy Digital said. This “comprehensive reinvention” will include “upgraded graphics, brand new gameplay mechanics, exclusive new levels, a reworked back story, a dramatic new ending, recast voice acting and much, much more.” Much of this is thanks in part to the Hydrophobia Listening Post, in which the voices of the gamers were heard and their opinions and suggestions were taken directly to heart. This means great news for PlayStation Network and Steam gamers, who will be reaping the benefits of all of these changes.

Another new feature is Darknet, which is an in-game feedback system that will allow players to be heard immediately right as they are in the action. Creative Directory Pete Jones said, “In the modern, interconnected world we think there should be better lines of communication between players and developer, which is exactly what Darknet delivers. Gamers have shown us how much they appreciated being involved in the development process and we have responded.”

So does this mean they’re dropping the episodic concept of their original scope? We contacted Senior Creative Designer Rob Hewson, who said they haven’t abandoned the idea of episodes, but instead fleshed out the story here, since the original ending didn’t feel complete. “The new ending resolved the first episode properly and fully (you even get to use Hydro Kinetic ‘water powers’ in the main campaing now), but the wider story arc is still there for future episodes,” Hewson said. “Let me put it another way… you now get to destroy the Death Star but you still don’t know who your father is!”

There you have it! Hydrophobia Prophecy will be out on May 9th for Steam, and should launch shortly after for the PSN, according to Eurogamer. The PSN version will also have Move support, which has a lot of potential. As for whether or not the game will come to XBLA, Pete Jones said it’s up to Microsoft, but that they intend for XBLA players to be able to play it. The full list of new features can be seen after the jump.

---------------------------

Enhanced Graphics Engine

■Enhanced environmental lighting throughout the game
■High resolution textures
■Updated video texture work
■Hugely improved particle systems throughout the game
■Depth of field effects implemented
■MLAA anti-aliasing
■Improved lighting and shadowing solutions

HydroEngine Enhancements

■Enhanced character DripMapping technology
■Improved reflection and refraction mapping
■Enhancement underwater visual effects
■Underwater depth of field effect
■Enhanced particle system and improved performance
■New high resolution RippleMap simulation responds to characters and objects

Improved Movement and Animations

■Jump distance more accurate relative to movement speed
■Added stationary jump
■Speed of movement through vents increased and animations improved
■Speed of movement with MAVI increased
■Various animations refined to provide better feedback

Character and dialogue

■Scoot character remodelled and reworked
■Scoot character recast, now played by Oliver Vaquer (GTA: Liberty City Stories, The Warriors, Law & Order)
■Characterisation improved with remastered voice acting and additional scenes
■Mila characters role has been enhanced with compelling new scenes
■New Morton character fleshes out the backstory

Narrative and Backstory

■Dramatic new plot points shed light on the back story and the Prophecy of Malthus
■New in game video communications enhance the narrative without disrupting gameplay
■Compelling new cutscenes and dramatic twists
■New mechanics designed around the deeper narrative
■Hydro Kinetic ‘water powers’ powers brought into the main story
■Dramatic new ending completes the story arc

Wading and Swimming

■Reworked Kate’s bracing animation and responsiveness
■Eliminated undesirable situations where the character was swept out of player control
■Increased speed of recovery after being wiped out by water
■Removed invasive reactionary animations after being wiped out by water

Art Direction

■Improved environmental lighting
■Re-designed locations add variety and drama
■Spectacular new environments introduced
■Reworked environmental assets

Music and SFX

■New and improved music tracks
■Re-mastered audio and improved sound design
■New SFX added to various feedback systems

Puzzle Improvements and Additions

■Improved lock-on effect for electric cable puzzles
■Added mini-puzzles to existing areas
■Exclusive new environments introduce new physics based puzzles
■Ability to manipulate floating objects to solve bouyancy based puzzles
■New narrative based challenges

Enhanced Combat System

■Individual bone based enemy lock on feature (depending on difficult setting)
■Improved aim assist functionality
■Dynamic aim reticule adapts to different ammo types and combat behaviour
■Destructable object system reworked for greater feedback and effectiveness
■Ammo distribution refinements
■Greater variety of ammo earlier in the game
■AI enhancements and performance improvements
■Instant ammo collection features eliminates unneccessary button presses
■Rebalanced Sonic Rounds for more effective combat
■Reload times reduced for better combat flow

Cover System Enhancements

■Blind fire functionality added
■Turn corners while in cover and engage in flanking maneuvours
■Cover animation improvements
■More responsive and smooth cover transitions

All new Floating Cover system

■Grab bouyant object to use as dynamic cover in water
■Use floating cover on the surface or during underwater combat

New Climbing Combat system

■Ability to shoot and engage in combat while climbing or hanging

Level and Gameplay Design Improvements

■Enhanced and redesigned levels
■Exclusive new levels to explore throughout the game
■All new mechanics, puzzles and combat added
■Dramatic new end sequence using Hydro Kinetic abilities
■Decrypting doors sequence shortened
■Tutorial added for hack mini game
■Improved feedback, waypoint design and tutorials
■Better checkpoint design
■Improved difficulty setting design
■Rationalised waypoint system choice allows players to set their preference for how much hand holding they want independently of difficulty setting

Darknet

■Bring up Dev Feedback from the pause menu at any time to comment on your experience
■Your feedback is uploaded to Dark Energy augmented with contextual information about the gamestate
■Dark Energy will continue to act upon gathered data from the playing community

Menus reworked

■Front end menus re-designed
■In game menus re-designed

Value

■Pre-purchase on Steam for just $10.19 / £7.64 (including 15% pre-purchase discount)
■New locations, mechanics and narrative elements massively extend the lifespan of the main game
(source (http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=6713))

I'm so glad to see it's coming on other platforms but OMG I wasn't expecting this massive list of improvement ! So awesome ! I can't wait to try it out ! :jmp: :jmp: :jmp:

michaeldt
26-04-11, 18:19
YES:jmp:

xXhayleyroxXx
26-04-11, 18:31
Oooo will there be a demo?

Alex Fly
26-04-11, 18:35
The previous 360 version had a demo if I recall correctly, so hopefully there's one for us as well. :)
Demo or not, I know I'll buy it anyway. :D

May is going so amazing with this and BG&E HD coming on the PSN ! :jmp:

Tear
26-04-11, 18:54
What the ****?:rolleyes:

They better have this update for 360.

King.Louie
26-04-11, 19:13
Yay ive been really wanting to play this :D cant wait for it to come to psn

Spong
26-04-11, 19:54
What the ****?:rolleyes:

They better have this update for 360.

This x 1,000,000 :mad::hea:

As one of the few people that supported this game when it was originally released as the gaming equivalent of a bucket of mess, I feel somewhat stabbed in the back by this. I've already e-mailed a complaint to DED. I don't care that they've said they "intend" to bring Prophecy to 360. Why wasn't it developed on that in the first place? The original and Pure was.

Tear
26-04-11, 22:16
^ Exactly.;)

matrix54
26-04-11, 23:09
I love the love they give to this game.

I wish more devs would treat other games like this. :o

Spong
26-04-11, 23:21

That's what kind of sticks in my throat about 'Prophecy' going to PS3/Steam and not 360. There was so much criticism when the game was released, and some of it was justified. But I still bought it, there was still a core of enjoyment to it. Credit where it's due, after certain staff had their infamous tantrum, DED settled down and asked everyone for feedback on the game and even went to the extent of holding focus groups. Then 'Pure' was released and they launched the Listening Post, another online QA form where DED asked for feedback. As others did, I spent ages filling that form out and offering my views/comments. And for what? For them to take our ideas and use them to make an improved game that they then release on other platforms without guaranteeing that us 'original' 360 owners will see it?

:mad:

Alex Fly
27-04-11, 08:45

Yes it's really impressive. Kudos to them for that. :)

H4RR7H
27-04-11, 10:24
Concerned about the lack of Prophecy on Xbox 360, being an owner of the first version of Hydrophobia also (Spong! :hug:). Nevertheless, preordered for Steam at a 15% discount!

Very excited about climbing and shooting, blind-fire, bouyant object gameplay, new music (which hopefully they'll either sell or I can extract) and Scoot being recast (he just annoyed me before tbh)... :D

****ing hell!! They must not be joking when they said they've updated it with high resolution textures!! It's gone from 2GB to 8GB!! :yik: Sadly I think this rules out the possibility of Hydrophobia: Prophecy coming to 360 - there's a 2.2GB limit on arcade games, dlc and peripherals :/

Edit: +330% more game?!?! And they're still selling it at an Arcade price? :eek: Sold :cool:

It's awesome Kate is getting to use those Hydrokinetic powers in the story now too :tmb:

Spong
27-04-11, 13:06
All the intent in the world won't make Microsoft budge on their ridiculous 2GB limit. That's a bitter pill to swallow :mad::(

It's awesome Kate is getting to use those Hydrokinetic powers in the story now too :tmb:

They stole that idea from me when I completed the Q&A at the Listening Post (and probably a few other people too :pi:). Man, this sucks.

Trigger_happy
27-04-11, 13:08
****ing hell!! They must not be joking when they said they've updated it with high resolution textures!! It's gone from 2GB to 8GB!! :yik: Sadly I think this rules out the possibility of Hydrophobia: Prophecy coming to 360 - there's a 2.2GB limit on arcade games, dlc and peripherals :/

That's probably why its not coming back to Live. Its Ms fault, as they don't allow such large files.

I do have to say I respect DED: their game got panned, and yet they went through all those horrible comments about their hard work, buckled down and sorted it. Even now, they're still engaging with gamers: someone from DED is replying to everyone's comments on Eurogamer, filling in the gaps in the press releases and answering individual questions. That's good PR. Have a look Eidos.

Uzi master
27-04-11, 22:18
If I were them I'd just split the game up, have the main download with the main core of the game and whatever else they can fit, then upload the rest as a bunch of "free DLC". not very convienient, but better than nothing:ton:

DragonSlayer
27-04-11, 22:23
Hopefully we won't get a watered down version. :p

trlestew
27-04-11, 22:26
Ha!

Watered down. :p

michaeldt
28-04-11, 07:17
8GB!!! :yik: holy crap! I need to start deleting things!

jajay119
28-04-11, 08:04
That's what kind of sticks in my throat about 'Prophecy' going to PS3/Steam and not 360.

:mad:

Why? As I understand it 'Prophecy' is just a renaming of the update that the 360 alredy recieved anyway, isn't it?

That's what I have been lead to believe anyway. Obviously I could be wrong.

Carbonek_0051
28-04-11, 08:05
Why? As I understand it 'Prophecy' is just a renaming of the update that the 360 alredy recieved anyway, isn't it?

From the article it seems to be saying that Prophecy is pretty much a new polished version of the 360 one, and not just an update. :/

jajay119
28-04-11, 10:22
I'm actually really confused, as I read in an article yesterday it was just a polished version of Hydrophobia Pure, but on the same site today, there is a new article that says it's based on Hydrophobia Pure, but about 70% is new stuff. People need to make up their mind lol

Alex Fly
28-04-11, 15:11
For trailer of Hydrophobia Prophecy :

uRlbnV3Ftns

:tmb:

Spong
28-04-11, 17:36

As you seemed to have worked out, Prophecy is only 30% Pure and is 70% new on top of that. It's a huge reworking, not just a polished update.

Seeing as DED have refused to reply to my e-mail, I've started hassling whatever DED staff member it is who's taken it upon themselves to start replying to comments at Eurogamer.

ozzman
28-04-11, 17:39
looks amazing, the water ,,,everything

Spong
28-04-11, 18:28
Hot off the press from the comments at Eurogamer...

@Spong Actually, the game is not 8gb on PC. 8gb free space is on the recommended spec sheet but you can run the game with far less free space. Obviously there space needed for save files, plus PC textures are higher resolution along with higher resolution videos and various other PC specific things. It isn't a problem to get Prophecy under 2gb on 360. The decision on 360 is absolutely down to Microsoft.

We're trying to get the best possible game for the best possible value to all players on all platforms... which included giving Pure to 360 owners for free and dropping the price. I absolutely understand your concerns as a 360 owners, but rest assured we're pushing for it and there is no technical reason why we can't do it :)

Ward Dragon
28-04-11, 18:36
I didn't even realize this game was coming to PC until I just saw a message on Steam that it's discounted as a pre-order bonus. I'm a bit interested but also very confused :p

When you say that the PC version is 30% original, 70% new does that mean that it contains the entire 360 game plus a bunch of extra stuff? Or does it mean that 70% of the 360 version has been changed?

Spong
28-04-11, 18:40
When you say that the PC version is 30% original, 70% new does that mean that it contains the entire 360 game plus a bunch of extra stuff? Or does it mean that 70% of the 360 version has been changed?

From what I can work out, Prophecy contains the bulk content of Pure but with major adjustments and tweaks (an example would be the ability to use Kate's Hydrokinetic powers in the main game when, in Pure, you could only use it in the Challenge Room mode). On top of those tweaks they've apparently added 70% of extra content, content not seen in Pure.

H4RR7H
29-04-11, 11:16
Hot off the press from the comments at Eurogamer...

Interesting thanks for asking :tmb:

I'm sure the savegame files won't be large 0_0

Why the hell does it say you need 8GB of HDD space then? They are waffling off the question... :/

Edit: Oh right I get it, 8GB of free space is recommended to play it... Not sure why that would effect anything? :confused:

I dono eh, but to me this (http://store.steampowered.com/app/92000/) means the game is 8GBs:

System Requirements
Minimum:
OS: Windows XP / Windows Vista / Windows 7 with latest Service Pack
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon X2
Memory: 2 GB
Graphics: NVidia 8600GT with 512MB RAM or Radeon HD 3650 with 512MB RAM
DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB
Sound: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Hydrophobia: Prophecy © copyright 2011 Dark Energy

Spong
29-04-11, 11:40
When it comes to the PC version I have no idea. All I know is that they said they can get Prophecy under 2GB on 360. Although they avoided answering me when I asked if they actually had a working 360 version.

Ward Dragon
29-04-11, 15:12
Why the hell does it say you need 8GB of HDD space then? They are waffling off the question... :/

Edit: Oh right I get it, 8GB of free space is recommended to play it... Not sure why that would effect anything? :confused:

On a PC, at least 10% of the hard drive must be free for the programs to properly move files around while they are running, although preferably more than that should be free. I think Steam puts higher hard drive space requirements for most games. For example, GoL says 7 GB on the store page but the folder takes up 4 GB on my PC.

H4RR7H
02-05-11, 02:38
On a PC, at least 10% of the hard drive must be free for the programs to properly move files around while they are running, although preferably more than that should be free. I think Steam puts higher hard drive space requirements for most games. For example, GoL says 7 GB on the store page but the folder takes up 4 GB on my PC.

Uh, ok that makes sense. Still, reading that in the "info" makes me think that's how much hdd space it would take up. I guess in a way it is though :p

What I think I'm looking for is how much I'm going to have to download :o

Thanks for elaborating Wardy :) Are you getting it? :D

Ward Dragon
02-05-11, 16:04
Uh, ok that makes sense. Still, reading that in the "info" makes me think that's how much hdd space it would take up. I guess in a way it is though :p

What I think I'm looking for is how much I'm going to have to download :o

Thanks for elaborating Wardy :) Are you getting it? :D

You're welcome :) I agree they should put the exact download size somewhere on the store page. And yeah, I've already pre-ordered it and now I'm just waiting for the download to unlock :D

On a side note, I feel bad for TR9 already. The TR9 articles have been going on and on about physics puzzles involving fire and water but somehow I think it will fail to impress me once I've played Hydrophobia XD

Spong
02-05-11, 19:54
On a side note, I feel bad for TR9 already. The TR9 articles have been going on and on about physics puzzles involving fire and water but somehow I think it will fail to impress me once I've played Hydrophobia XD

Obviously I can't speak for Prophecy (seeing as there's allegedly so much more content), but there weren't really any puzzles in Pure based around the water. The physics in that area was more used in combat, exploding environmental hazards to release torrents that would take out a slew of bad guys in one hit, that sort of thing.

However, the Challenge Room mode and the hydrokinesis was very puzzle-based in Pure. And seeing as they hydrokinesis has been utilised in Prophecy's main game (you couldn't use it in Pure), the possibilities for more water-based puzzles have grown exponentially :tmb:

It better bloody get a release on 360 :mad:

Ward Dragon
02-05-11, 20:05
Obviously I can't speak for Prophecy (seeing as there's allegedly so much more content), but there weren't really any puzzles in Pure based around the water. The physics in that area was more used in combat, exploding environmental hazards to release torrents that would take out a slew of bad guys in one hit, that sort of thing.

However, the Challenge Room mode and the hydrokinesis was very puzzle-based in Pure. And seeing as they hydrokinesis has been utilised in Prophecy's main game (you couldn't use it in Pure), the possibilities for more water-based puzzles have grown exponentially :tmb:

Yes, that's the impression I've gotten :) I haven't played the 360 version but it sounds like the PC version will have a fair amount of water-based puzzles in it :D

It better bloody get a release on 360 :mad:

One of the developers is posting on the Steam forums and seems really dedicated to the game and to the players. I'm sure they'll try to release it on 360, although Microsoft doesn't like developers releasing free stuff so no idea what will happen in the end.

Spong
02-05-11, 20:22
One of the developers is posting on the Steam forums and seems really dedicated to the game and to the players. I'm sure they'll try to release it on 360, although Microsoft doesn't like developers releasing free stuff so no idea what will happen in the end.

Credit where it's due, DED seemed to have crossed as many mountains as they could in order to get in touch with players. It doesn't surprise me one of their team is hanging around the steam board and fielding questions, I've seen someone (probably the same person) at a few places now.

As for MS and their staunch ways, they could release Prophecy as DLC for those who already own Pure (I'd pay 800MSP for it happily, I never expected to get it for free or anything like that). And for those who haven't bought the game at all yet, they could simply replace Pure on XBLA with Prophecy and put the price back up (I think it's selling for something like 600MSP at the moment).

Sakkemix
03-05-11, 12:36
I tried Hydrophobia's trial yesterday..... and.... OMG IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!! THE WHOLE DAMN BOAT SINKING MADE ADRENALINE RUSH THROUGH MY VEINS!!! O_____O Now I just have to get MSPoints so I can buy the full game :D

H4RR7H
09-05-11, 02:34
15 hours until Steam release :yah:

Don't know why I'm getting so excited lol, I've already played the original and Pure through on Xbox :p

Spong
10-05-11, 09:21
Still no movement on a 360 release for Prophecy :(

Linoshi Croft
10-05-11, 15:43
When are they continuing it ?

BeautifulMan
10-05-11, 15:51
Will the PC version support the Xbox 360 controller?

Ward Dragon
10-05-11, 18:39
Will the PC version support the Xbox 360 controller?

Yes, it does :) I've got the wired 360 controller and it works without even needing to configure it.

It was cute, I was switching back and forth between the keyboard and the controller to make sure they both work and the tutorial icons were frantically switching back and forth between showing 360 or keyboard buttons to keep up with me :p

BeautifulMan
10-05-11, 18:49
^ thanks, i'm buying this game tomorrow. i miss survival horror

EDIT: I bought the game today and i'm little disappointed. This game feels unpolished and voice acting is pretty bad :(

H4RR7H
14-05-11, 02:41
DED noted my interest in a soundtrack release (http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1887425) 0_0

It's so awesome; being able to interact with the developer like that :tmb:

Alex Fly
14-05-11, 09:11
These guys are incredible. Kudos to them for their attention towards the fans. :tmb:

michaeldt
14-05-11, 09:29
So will this be up on PSN as soon as the store is back up? :)

Ashnod
14-05-11, 18:32
Just played the trial version, and am very sad to learn the Prophecy version isn't on XBL yet.

Think I'll hold off buying it for the moment. :(

TippingWater
14-05-11, 18:42
This game lags on my PC, because I have a single core processor , it's really bad optimized ! :(

Ward Dragon
14-05-11, 20:20
I bought the game today and i'm little disappointed. This game feels unpolished and voice acting is pretty bad :(

I didn't have a problem with the voice acting but I was a bit disappointed with how combat-oriented the game was. I had hoped for more puzzles. I gave a relatively in-depth review on the Steam forums of what I liked and what I thought should be improved and the developer said that he agrees with me and they're taking all of that into account for the sequel :)

Just played the trial version, and am very sad to learn the Prophecy version isn't on XBL yet.

Think I'll hold off buying it for the moment. :(

They said they're trying to get Prophecy on Xbox Live as well but nothing definite yet.

This game lags on my PC, because I have a single core processor , it's really bad optimized ! :(

Yeah, they've been trying to address the performance issues with patches. If the current patches didn't fix it for you, then maybe it would be best to wait for the next patch and see if that solves it :)

Spong
15-05-11, 00:03
...very sad to learn the Prophecy version isn't on XBL yet.

*Insert crying emote here*
:(

...I was a bit disappointed with how combat-oriented the game was. I had hoped for more puzzles.

I did say before that the mechanics of the game and the physics especially were more centred around the combat :o. Sounds like DED haven't expanded on puzzles with the new stuff in Prophecy.

Either way, it's still not on XBL.

*Insert more crying emotes*

Ashnod
15-05-11, 01:28
*Insert crying emote here*

*Insert more crying emotes*

Honestly, hon, it's not that I don't want to play it. It's that I don't want to pay twice for it, especially if Prophecy has "70%" more story and game than Pure supposedly does.

If I was guaranteed a free upgrade, I'd get it now.

Spong
15-05-11, 02:01
^My post was about how I'm gutted that Prophecy has yet to be released on XBL.

Ward Dragon
15-05-11, 02:13
I did say before that the mechanics of the game and the physics especially were more centred around the combat :o. Sounds like DED haven't expanded on puzzles with the new stuff in Prophecy.

Yeah, you were right. I thought that they were going to add more puzzles for Prophecy but I guess they didn't really.

Ashnod
15-05-11, 02:39
^My post was about how I'm gutted that Prophecy has yet to be released on XBL.

:( Yeah...

Spong
15-05-11, 13:47
Yeah, you were right. I thought that they were going to add more puzzles for Prophecy but I guess they didn't really.

What about the hydrokinesis? I've not seen that used in the main game at all, what's it like? Do they make good use of it? I kind of imagine it being used to clear obstacles and blockages and such.

Ward Dragon
15-05-11, 16:55
What about the hydrokinesis? I've not seen that used in the main game at all, what's it like? Do they make good use of it? I kind of imagine it being used to clear obstacles and blockages and such.

The hydrokinesis is obtained in the last few minutes of the game. It's used in a few rooms for simple tasks and then it's incorporated into the boss fight at the end.

Linoshi Croft
15-05-11, 21:26
Boss Fight. Interesting.

When's it coming to XBL I want it :(

Spong
16-05-11, 01:17
The hydrokinesis is obtained in the last few minutes of the game. It's used in a few rooms for simple tasks and then it's incorporated into the boss fight at the end.

Oh...I kind of expected there to be more than that. Still, a boss fight sounds good, no bosses at all in Pure.

Ward Dragon
16-05-11, 03:27
Oh...I kind of expected there to be more than that. Still, a boss fight sounds good, no bosses at all in Pure.

I found the boss fight to be very frustrating, but then again I have a low tolerance for long drawn-out battles in general (I won't notice if a game has no boss fights at all, but on the other hand it's very rare for me to think that a particular boss fight is actually good so most of the time I just get annoyed at them :p).

Uzi master
16-05-11, 03:31
I found the boss fight to be very frustrating, but then again I have a low tolerance for long drawn-out battles in general (I won't notice if a game has no boss fights at all, but on the other hand it's very rare for me to think that a particular boss fight is actually good so most of the time I just get annoyed at them :p).

so, what IS the boss fight? :D

Ward Dragon
16-05-11, 03:45
so, what IS the boss fight? :D

White text spoiler in case people don't want to ruin it:

The terrorist woman Mila takes control of the SARA robot. There's essentially an arena with a pit in the center which has water in it, and the robot hovers over the pit attacking Kate while Mila is protected by bullet-proof glass in the control deck.

There are three rounds of the battle where basically you have to stun the robot with energy bullets and then use the water powers to throw explosive barrels at it to damage it, and after the first round a bunch of human enemies attack and keep attacking throughout rounds two and three.

After destroying the robot, the final cutscene plays and the game ends rather abruptly. I'm assuming that the story will be continued in Chapter 2.

Spong
16-05-11, 03:48
...the final cutscene plays and the game ends rather abruptly. I'm assuming that the story will be continued in Chapter 2...

No change there then. Pure was the same.

Has Prophecy got that bizarre intro with the body floating in the water? That made no sense to me in Pure.

Uzi master
16-05-11, 05:03
No change there then. Pure was the same.

Has Prophecy got that bizarre intro with the body floating in the water? That made no sense to me in Pure.

A memory from her past maybe?

Spong
16-05-11, 05:08
A memory from her past maybe?

That's as good a guess as any. That bit of the intro seems so random to me :tea:

Ward Dragon
16-05-11, 05:28

Yes, there's a little girl's laughter while the body floats in the water and then when the camera gets close to the face it turns into a zombie-type thing for shock value.

I think it's what Kate is dreaming about when she wakes up at the start of the game. I'm guessing it's either a recurring nightmare or a memory from her childhood to explain that she's afraid of water. The game plays the sounds from the dream (like the little girl's laughter) during places where Kate is particularly afraid of the situation and hyperventilating.

H4RR7H
16-05-11, 07:51
^ I think it's her sister drowning in an incident she may have been involved with. There's a photo of her in the apartment (in the newly furbished upstairs of Prophecy! :p)... but I could be wrong :pi:

Spong
16-05-11, 15:18
A dream? Kate's scared of water and/or swimming? Why was I never informed of this? Considering the amount of swimming and how much time she spends in water, it seems a bit...stupid.

igonge
16-05-11, 15:21
I cannot stomach the voice acting in this! It's dreadful. I can't bring myself to keep playing.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:23
I cannot stomach the voice acting in this! It's dreadful. I can't bring myself to keep playing.

Didn't they change the voice actors . . and they got worse.

lara c. fan
16-05-11, 15:24
A dream? Kate's scared of water and/or swimming? Why was I never informed of this? Considering the amount of swimming and how much time she spends in water, it seems a bit...stupid.

That's the point behind the name, isn't it? She's hydrophobic. :p

Zebra

I think it was initially supposed to be a big part of the story and of the puzzles (hence the title Hydrophobia :p) but it seems like they haven't actually integrated it all that much into the final version of the game.

Spong

What version are you playing? Pure or Prophecy? Apparently, Prophecy has had all the voice acting re-worked. I hope they got rid of that Scottish voice actor, his accent was awful and made all his dialogue almost indecipherable.

I think it was initially supposed to be a big part of the story and of the puzzles (hence the title Hydrophobia :p) but it seems like they haven't actually integrated it all that much into the final version of the game.

The title was a thought I'd had (in connection to Kate) but nothing of the sort is implied in the game. At least not so I've noticed. Besides, it has little relevance to the game's main plot, it seems a little crazy to name the game after something so insignificant.

igonge
16-05-11, 15:25
What version are you playing? Pure or Prophecy? Apparently, Prophecy has had all the voice acting re-worked. I hope they got rid of that Scottish voice actor, his accent was awful and made all his dialogue almost indecipherable.

Prophecy.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:30
1oU_Arq1qYg

His voice is even worse :|

Spong
16-05-11, 15:32
^I'll downmload that vid and check it in a sec :tmb:

Prophecy.

Oh right. So the voice acting still sucks? Bummer :(
I thought Kate was okay in Pure, in fact I didn't have a problem with anyone except Kate's friend (I forget his name). His accent was too thick and, considering most of the communications between him & Kate took place across radios, the added distortion made his lines a complete mess.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:35
I quite like Kate's voice, Scoot's never really bothered. It seems from the new game he makes the old one look like a top notch voice actor :p

Plus Scoot cared about Kate now he says things like "Watch it Kate if you die, My workload doubles" I mean WTH

Weemanply109
16-05-11, 15:37
1oU_Arq1qYg

His voice is even worse :|

Judging from this video. She is over-acting.

Serious.. LOL its bad

Spong
16-05-11, 15:38
Plus Scoot cared about Kate now he says things like "Watch it Kate if you die, My workload doubles" I mean WTH

LOL, that's called camaraderie ;)

Is there more console hacking in Prophecy? I thought that little element was genuis, I could've happily done that all day :tmb:

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:39
I just don't think it works. Plus with the new voice actor it doesn't sound like he's being "Friendly" with the old guy it seemed they acutally knew each other.

Serious.. LOL its bad

The guy is worse :p he doesn't even act ! it's like he's sitting there actually reading off the script and nothing more. No effort.

Spong
16-05-11, 15:44
I just don't think it works. Plus with the new voice actor it doesn't sound like he's being "Friendly" with the old guy it seemed they acutally knew each other.

The guy is worse :p he doesn't even act ! it's like he's sitting there actually reading off the script and nothing more. No effort.

That sounds like it sucks :(
But at least I thought he sucked before, so if he still sucks in Prophecy when I get it (if I get it *shakes fist at Microsoft*) I won't be so disappointed.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:45
That sounds like it sucks :(
But at least I thought he sucked before, so if he still sucks in Prophecy when I get it (if I get it *shakes fist at Microsoft*) I won't be so disappointed.

We better get it :ohn:

If they did another questionnaire looking for improvements ect I would say get the old scoot back or someone who can act!

Spong
16-05-11, 15:47
We better get it :ohn:

Damn straight :ohn:

If they did another questionnaire looking for improvements ect I would say get the old scoot back or someone who can act!

Another questionnaire? You mean at the Listening Post?

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 15:50
Damn straight :ohn:

Another questionnaire? You mean at the Listening Post?

They did that thing on their site didn't they where they "Wanted to give back to the fans" which is all good on the outside but off course they knew what they made wasn't as good as it should of been and if they improved it and showed good customer relations they would get more £££. (Rant Over) where they asked how the game could of been improved through a selection of questions and rating of game mechanics. Then we got Pure now we have prophecy because of it.

Spong
16-05-11, 16:17
They did that thing on their site didn't they where they "Wanted to give back to the fans" which is all good on the outside but off course they knew what they made wasn't as good as it should of been and if they improved it and showed good customer relations they would get more £££. (Rant Over) where they asked how the game could of been improved through a selection of questions and rating of game mechanics. Then we got Pure now we have prophecy because of it.

I filled in the questionnaire after Pure was released, I spent hours doing it in fact (not just marking ratings but adding comments too). It's one of the reasons I'm annoyed Prophecy isn't on the 360, I feel I was a small part in Prophecy's creation. I'm not surprised to hear they're doing the same thing with Prophecy though, DED have surprisingly good customer relations, they've gone a distance that other more major devs don't even bother with, I can't not credit them for that.

On a side note, I just watched that vid you posted and, to be honest, Scoot is much better now that he's American and not Scottish. At least I can understand him now. Before, I had to have subtitles enabled in order to know what the hell he was saying.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 16:23
I filled in the questionnaire after Pure was released, I spent hours doing it in fact (not just marking ratings but adding comments too). It's one of the reasons I'm annoyed Prophecy isn't on the 360, I feel I was a small part in Prophecy's creation. I'm not surprised to hear they're doing the same thing with Prophecy though, DED have surprisingly good customer relations, they've gone a distance that other more major devs don't even bother with, I can't not credit them for that.

On a side note, I just watched that vid you posted and, to be honest, Scoot is much better now that he's American and not Scottish. At least I can understand him now. Before, I had to have subtitles enabled in order to know what the hell he was saying.

offcourse you have to credit them for it, I have even said that crystal should be like them but was immediately shot down as they are just doing it for money which is perfectly understandable as they have to be.

I preferred him when he was Scottish :p I had no problem understanding him and just though he had a better connection with Kate's character and a somehwhat better general personality. They seem to have changed his character which I don't think was for the best. He just sounds like a robot to me.

Ward Dragon
16-05-11, 18:10
^ I think it's her sister drowning in an incident she may have been involved with. There's a photo of her in the apartment (in the newly furbished upstairs of Prophecy! :p)... but I could be wrong :pi:

That's clever :D I probably saw the photo but didn't make the connection at the time because I was too excited to get to the part of the game with water in it :p

The title was a thought I'd had (in connection to Kate) but nothing of the sort is implied in the game. At least not so I've noticed. Besides, it has little relevance to the game's main plot, it seems a little crazy to name the game after something so insignificant.

I've never played the 360 version so maybe this is new, but Kate is clearly afraid of the water in some situations. It's clear that she's borderline panicky in some places but Scoot is keeping her calm so she can focus and do what needs to be done.

There are sound effects to get this across like her hearing the little girl laughter from the dream at the beginning, and you can hear her breathing patterns which to me really got across how stressed out and scared she was. I thought it added a bit of tension to the game's atmosphere.

LOL, that's called camaraderie ;)

Is there more console hacking in Prophecy? I thought that little element was genuis, I could've happily done that all day :tmb:

Yes, there is hacking and I liked it quite a bit. I assume it's the same (move the mouse up/down and left/right to get the proper wavelength and amplitude to match the target signal).

I'm not surprised to hear they're doing the same thing with Prophecy though, DED have surprisingly good customer relations, they've gone a distance that other more major devs don't even bother with, I can't not credit them for that.

One of the developers is pretty active on the Steam forum answering questions and replying to people's suggestions and complaints. The game also has a built-in feedback system where you can pause it, go to the menu, and vote if the spot you're at is good or bad and then select a reason from the drop-down menu. They've already made a few improvements based upon this which were updated in the patches.

Again, I never played the 360 version so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I thought the voice acting was fine in Prophecy. I can honestly say I never once got annoyed at the voices, which puts the game ahead of a lot of big-budget titles Legend :pi:

Spong
16-05-11, 18:51
I've never played the 360 version so maybe this is new, but Kate is clearly afraid of the water in some situations. It's clear that she's borderline panicky in some places but Scoot is keeping her calm so she can focus and do what needs to be done.

There are sound effects to get this across like her hearing the little girl laughter from the dream at the beginning, and you can hear her breathing patterns which to me really got across how stressed out and scared she was. I thought it added a bit of tension to the game's atmosphere.

That may well be the case in Pure and I just never cottoned on to it. I can't recall her getting panicky specifically at the water, just the situation as a whole.

Yes, there is hacking and I liked it quite a bit. I assume it's the same (move the mouse up/down and left/right to get the proper wavelength and amplitude to match the target signal).

It's such a simple thing, but I loved doing it every time :tmb:

One of the developers is pretty active on the Steam forum answering questions and replying to people's suggestions and complaints. The game also has a built-in feedback system where you can pause it, go to the menu, and vote if the spot you're at is good or bad and then select a reason from the drop-down menu. They've already made a few improvements based upon this which were updated in the patches.

That's really impressive. Not only just having someone online to field questions, but I really like the sound of the built-in feedback. Seriously, the "major" devs could learn a lot from DED.

Again, I never played the 360 version so I've got nothing to compare it to, but I thought the voice acting was fine in Prophecy. I can honestly say I never once got annoyed at the voices, which puts the game ahead of a lot of big-budget titles Legend :pi:

LOL, didn't notice your white text until I quoted you (despite the smiley) :D

Like I said before, I didn't have a problem with the quality of the dialogue in Pure, even Scooty's dialogue was all well & good, but his accent was horrendous.

igonge
16-05-11, 21:52

Serious.. LOL its bad

Kate's voice is irritating, it's like she can't settle on an accent. and plus the fact, she overacts.

H4RR7H
16-05-11, 22:07
Kate's voice is irritating, it's like she can't settle on an accent. and plus the fact, she overacts.

And IMHO it doesn't help that Scoot's voice actor is worse than the original. He also jumped accents from British to American :vlol:

Edit: *reads above few posts* :whi:

Spong
16-05-11, 22:10
He also jumped accents from British to American :vlol:

British? In terms of accents, you mean Scottish. And it was horrible, he's much better now that he's American. Not often I say something like that :p

*laralover*
16-05-11, 22:18
Im Scottish i suppose i better turn American *waves magic wand for a instant accent change*

H4RR7H
16-05-11, 22:18
^ :vlol: Scottish... That's what I meant :p

I think both of Scoot's voices are equally horrible tbh, Both overacted. But like you Spong, I like Kate :)

Still to finish Prophecy... I can only use my netbook atm and it lags like hell :o

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 22:20
And IMHO it doesn't help that Scoot's voice actor is worse than the original. He also jumped accents from British to American :vlol:

Edit: *reads above few posts* :whi:

I agree with H4RR7H the voice acting went from bad to dam right awful! The original voice actor was better. The new one is robotic, his personality shift is horrible atleast with the other voice actor we got the impression he actually knew kate for sometime and was her friend and that he cared about her. However, now we get robot man with zero expression.

Also he doesn't seem to change his tone so something that maybe a joke seems deadly serious and actually quite hostile :pi:

*laralover*
16-05-11, 22:22
^ :vlol: Scottish... That's what I meant :p
:o

Yeah some Scottish voice actors are really awful to be honest it makes me want to strangle them lol Its funny on some games with Scottish accents and people either think its Irish or Welsh >>

H4RR7H
16-05-11, 22:32
Also he doesn't seem to change his tone so something that maybe a joke seems deadly serious and actually quite hostile :pi:

This! Ahahaha :vlol: Old Scoot was deffo friendlier...
This one does sound waaay to serious and slightly demented at certain parts :D

Yeah some Scottish voice actors are really awful to be honest it makes me want to strangle them lol Its funny on some games with Scottish accents and people either think its Irish or Welsh >>

I've got a Scottish friend in real life who I just can't understand sometimes :tea:
It's like, "...Sorry... But what?" :p

It's a cool accent though :tmb:

*laralover*
16-05-11, 22:34
I've got a Scottish friend in real life who I just can't understand sometimes :tea:
It's like, "...Sorry... But what?" :p

It's a cool accent though :tmb:

Haha yeah my ex bf was American he couldnt understand me for a while but apparently my accent is "awesome" now :vlol: Only thing i cant understand is foreign accents *subs please* lol

igonge
16-05-11, 22:34
Just listened to the old Scoot's voice... The new one is way more ****.

Oh lol (http://a1.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/the-top-7-awful-fake-accents/a-2010112910717643040/g-200705031101115011/p-2)
Kate, reputedly voiced by an Irish actress, is far, far worse. Not because she’s affecting a fake accent, necessarily, but because it’s impossible to tell what fake accent she’s affecting. Listen carefully, and you’ll hear it veer constantly between Irish, American, English and something that sounds vaguely Scottish. It never lingers on one accent long enough to pin down what, if anything, she’s going for, and it’s incredibly distracting.

Could not agree more :p

*laralover*
16-05-11, 22:40
Just listened to the old Scoot's voice... The new one is way more ****.

Oh lol (http://a1.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f/the-top-7-awful-fake-accents/a-2010112910717643040/g-200705031101115011/p-2)

Could not agree more :p

O my....:vlol:

Ward Dragon
16-05-11, 23:30
I just watched a Youtube video of part of the 360 version and I definitely like PC Scoot better. Kate sounded pretty similar from the little bit I heard of her, but I was mostly paying attention to Scoot to see what everyone's talking about :p

As for Kate's accent, she lives on a floating city which has the last remnants of civilization on it. I assume she hangs around a lot of people from different countries and picked up bits and pieces of their accents :p

Spong
16-05-11, 23:33
I just watched a Youtube video of part of the 360 version and I definitely like PC Scoot better. Kate sounded pretty similar from the little bit I heard of her, but I was mostly paying attention to Scoot to see what everyone's talking about :p

Yep, Scoot in Pure is awful. He sounds much better in Prophecy (IMO) :tmb:

Uzi master
17-05-11, 01:22

As for Kate's accent, she lives on a floating city which has the last remnants of civilization on it. I assume she hangs around a lot of people from different countries and picked up bits and pieces of their accents :p

I doubt its the "last remnants" otherwise the problem would be rebuilding and not having too many people :p

michaeldt
17-05-11, 02:01
I like the Irish scoot :p

Ward Dragon
17-05-11, 02:04
I doubt its the "last remnants" otherwise the problem would be rebuilding and not having too many people :p

I got the impression from the backstory that the ship was the last surviving remnant of our civilization, and everywhere else had degraded to a much more primitive level due to war and lack of resources.

michaeldt
17-05-11, 02:11
So is it still just rumors that the PS3 version will have move support?

Spong
17-05-11, 17:44
^I've no idea. Sorry.

Just been posting my frustration at DED again after reading a story praising Darknet. I was angered and really upset to see DED say they're now concentrating on the PS3 & PC version and that "no further news" is available about the 360 version. DED are quickly turning into scum.

Alex Fly
17-05-11, 17:45
So is it still just rumors that the PS3 version will have move support?
I've never heard about it to be honest. I don't think it will support the Move.

Linoshi Croft
17-05-11, 17:45
^I've no idea. Sorry.

Just been posting my frustration at DED again after reading a story praising Darknet. I was angered and really upset to see DED say they're now concentrating on the PS3 & PC version and that "no further news" is available about the 360 version. DED are quickly turning into scum.

Oh that's nice of them :/

Something interesting anyway.

w89Z8DJEePM&feature=feedu

Spong
18-05-11, 14:38
Finally had another response from DED, it was a whitewash quite frankly. They've gone from telling me they had the 360 version of Prophecy up & running (and under the 2GB filesize restriction of XBLA) to saying they have "technical challenges to overcome".

Linoshi Croft
18-05-11, 15:07
Finally had another response from DED, it was a whitewash quite frankly. They've gone from telling me they had the 360 version of Prophecy up & running (and under the 2GB filesize restriction of XBLA) to saying they have "technical challenges to overcome".

Usually means we can't be arsed :/ but they are nice developers. So hopefully they are working on it.

michaeldt
19-05-11, 09:47
Is there a date for the release of the PS3 version?

Alex Fly
19-05-11, 10:15
^ Nope, but I can't wait for this game either.

Weemanply109
29-05-11, 03:19
Look at this review and CHECK THE COMMENTS LOL

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-hydrophobia-prophecy-review

just*raidin*tomb
29-05-11, 04:07
I'm not impressed. The water looks nice, but the gameplay already looks incredibly boring. O_0

Spong
29-05-11, 12:27
I was gonna link that review myself when it was posted the other day, seeing as Prophecy scored the same dismal 4/10 that Pure was awarded. But I decided against it because of the comments, they got a bit more sweary than is usual for Eurogamer (including my own). And the comments are cluttered with the "looks fantastic" joke that was doing the rounds at the time (ignore any which say that, they don't mean it).

To be honest, I've had my fill of waiting. If Prophecy was coming out on 360, something would've been announced by now. DED can stick their game where the sun doesn't shine for all I care.

Now I've said that, they'll probably announce something on Tuesday :rolleyes:

dream raider
29-05-11, 15:16
I have Hydrophobia Prophecy on PC but the voice acting sucks. The story looks like it will be good but I haven't progressed much...

Weemanply109
29-05-11, 20:22
I was gonna link that review myself when it was posted the other day, seeing as Prophecy scored the same dismal 4/10 that Pure was awarded. But I decided against it because of the comments, they got a bit more sweary than is usual for Eurogamer (including my own). And the comments are cluttered with the "looks fantastic" joke that was doing the rounds at the time (ignore any which say that, they don't mean it).

To be honest, I've had my fill of waiting. If Prophecy was coming out on 360, something would've been announced by now. DED can stick their game where the sun doesn't shine for all I care.

Now I've said that, they'll probably announce something on Tuesday :rolleyes:

I couldn't stop laughing at the "looks fantastic" jokes. It kept going on till the 20th something comment then people realised it got dull and some guy got a bad rating :vlol:

michaeldt
04-07-11, 13:31
When the hell is this coming to PSN? It's been quite a long time now....

Tommy123
04-07-11, 15:55
:vlol: at the comments.

But i agree this needs to come to PSN

maximum_123
04-07-11, 17:14
I thought it sounded really unique so I bought it and now it's downloading, but I just heard the voice acting and that's enough to put me off for life. I won't knock it 'till I've tried it though, I'm still pretty excited to play it.

Alex Fly
04-07-11, 18:10
When the hell is this coming to PSN? It's been quite a long time now....
Good question actually... I'm waiting for it too !

michaeldt
11-07-11, 10:22
Ya know, they're probably working on another improved version right now to put on PS3 -_-

Weemanply109
12-07-11, 02:48
They should just end it, its obvious that not many people are keen on the game and never will be no matter how many times the re-do the game over and over.

King.Louie
02-11-11, 02:37
Its on PSN :jmp:

Linoshi Croft
15-01-12, 04:31
Hate to bump a thread but there's no need to make a new one. Are they actually going to continue this game? I mean they left it on a cliffhanger and I just find that infuriating.

Ward Dragon
15-01-12, 04:51
Hate to bump a thread but there's no need to make a new one. Are they actually going to continue this game? I mean they left it on a cliffhanger and I just find that infuriating.

When the game first came out on Steam, it sounded like they planned on making a sequel. I haven't heard anything since then, so not sure if they're still working on it.

Linoshi Croft
15-01-12, 05:00
When the game first came out on Steam, it sounded like they planned on making a sequel. I haven't heard anything since then, so not sure if they're still working on it.

Well that's disappointing...it's kinda annoying to leave a game on a cliffhanger and actually never finish the story you began to tell. I hope they do finish it because I actually enjoyed the game very much :p

Spong
15-01-12, 15:54
I'd say DED shafted themselves and Hydrophobia when they shafted 360 owners by only releasing Prophecy on PC and PS3. We haven't even got the same game that ends at the same point as the PC/PS3 version. How can DED resolve that? By releasing Prophecy on 360? Fine, but what about free copies to all those who already own the crap Pure version? They certainly can't charge for it. Or they can ignore the 360 like they did with Prophecy (which wouldn't even exist were it not for 360 owners' feedback), and carry on with the supposed trilogy for just PC/PS3.

Quite frankly though, DED screwed up royally and I will be nothing short of amazed if even one sequel to Hydrophobia ever surfaces.

Zebra
15-01-12, 15:59
From what I know, when they started making Hydrophobia it was supposed to be one single, disc-based game. Then they decided to go digital with it and they split it up into three parts. However, after the poor reception of the first part it's unlikely the other two are ever going to get made. I also think it's a shame that they didn't actually center the game around the FEAR of water, like they said they would (and like the title implies). That would have been an awesome and original concept.

Ward Dragon
15-01-12, 16:09
Well that's disappointing...it's kinda annoying to leave a game on a cliffhanger and actually never finish the story you began to tell. I hope they do finish it because I actually enjoyed the game very much :p

Well, one of the developers was posting on the Steam forums and making note of all the feedback. It sounded like they needed time to figure out how to take all of the constructive criticism on board for the next game, so that's probably why they haven't announced anything yet.

I'd say DED shafted themselves and Hydrophobia when they shafted 360 owners by only releasing Prophecy on PC and PS3. We haven't even got the same game that ends at the same point as the PC/PS3 version. How can DED resolve that? By releasing Prophecy on 360? Fine, but what about free copies to all those who already own the crap Pure version? They certainly can't charge for it. Or they can ignore the 360 like they did with Prophecy (which wouldn't even exist were it not for 360 owners' feedback), and carry on with the supposed trilogy for just PC/PS3.

Quite frankly though, DED screwed up royally and I will be nothing short of amazed if even one sequel to Hydrophobia ever surfaces.

I would blame that one on Microsoft. Microsoft gets really angry if developers try to release free content through Xbox Live. That's why some games like Left 4 Dead have free DLC on PC but it costs money on 360. Even if Hydrophobia did try to release the new version on Xbox Live, Microsoft would probably still make you pay for it anyway.

Spong
15-01-12, 16:27
I would blame that one on Microsoft. Microsoft gets really angry if developers try to release free content through Xbox Live. That's why some games like Left 4 Dead have free DLC on PC but it costs money on 360. Even if Hydrophobia did try to release the new version on Xbox Live, Microsoft would probably still make you pay for it anyway.

Funny you should say that, because I blame Sony. Sony have a 'we want more if you don't release it on PS3 simultaneously or first' clause. They have the right to decline games on PSN if it's already available on other platforms, unless there's extra content.

Look at GoL, released on 360 first, the PS3 version gets Challenge Pack 2 exclusively (not forgetting that the PC doesn't factor in console exclusives). Then there's LIMBO, released on 360 first and then appears on PSN a year later with an extra episode. Then there's Hydrophobia, we all know about that. There's a few other games that have similar release stories, I can't recall them offhand though. But it all smacks of Sony and their retaliation to Microsoft's (equally childish) parity clause.

Well, one of the developers was posting on the Steam forums and making note of all the feedback. It sounded like they needed time to figure out how to take all of the constructive criticism on board for the next game, so that's probably why they haven't announced anything yet.

I wouldn't read anything into anything DED says. As I was saying in the AMY thread the other day, someone from DED told me they wanted continued feedback from 360 owners of Pure for ongoing bug-fixes and updates. Since Pure, the 360 has had nothing of the sort, there's been not one update.

Ward Dragon
15-01-12, 16:35
Funny you should say that, because I blame Sony. Sony have a 'we want more if you don't release it on PS3 simultaneously or first' clause. They have the right to decline games on PSN if it's already available on other platforms, unless there's extra content.

Look at GoL, released on 360 first, the PS3 version gets Challenge Pack 2 exclusively (not forgetting that the PC doesn't factor in console exclusives). Then there's LIMBO, released on 360 first and then appears on PSN a year later with an extra episode. Then there's Hydrophobia, we all know about that. There's a few other games that have similar release stories, I can't recall them offhand though. But it all smacks of Sony and their retaliation to Microsoft's (equally childish) parity clause.

Well PS3 obviously got Prophecy first, so what's stopping DED from releasing it on 360? I'm still guessing it's Microsoft.

Spong
15-01-12, 16:47
Well PS3 obviously got Prophecy first, so what's stopping DED from releasing it on 360? I'm still guessing it's Microsoft.

It could be said that Prophecy was originally bound for all platforms, but then Sony stuck their oar in with their clause, Prophecy couldn't be released on 360 because of that. I'd personally guess that the clause still applies, hence why other games like LIMBO or GoL on 360 still haven't got the extra content that's available on PS3. They can't all be down to Microsoft.

Something else I mentioned in the AMY thread about Hydrophobia, something that really gets my goat, was being told at the DED forums by one of the dev team that hey had a working copy of Prophecy on 360. At the time I was convinced the game exceeded the 2GB download limit for XBLA, and that's why it wasn't being released. But I was assured that wasn't the case, and that's when the guy told me about the 360 version.

Larapink
16-01-12, 00:55
Looks like an interesting game. :tmb:

Spong
28-02-12, 16:16
Oh well, regardless of my own opinions on how they dealt with the whole Pure/Prophecy thing, it seems as though we may as well forget about any planned Hydrophobia trilogy...

Developers at Hydrophobia creator Dark Energy Digital claim the Manchester-based studio has given notice to enter administration. Eurogamer was contacted by the representative of 18 employees at DED who claim they have gone unpaid for three months.

"I believe that if this information is publicly known then it will help all those that are owed money to make a timely claim with the administrator before it can be fast-tracked using a prepack administration," we were told.

Staff members know an administrator has been appointed, but its identity remains unknown. "We believe DED will close down," our source said.

DED is run by husband and wife combo Pete and Deborah Jones. It released downloadable game Hydrophobia on Xbox Live in 2010 to high anticipation, but disappointing review scores dampened enthusiasm around the company's Hydro Engine, developed over three years to accurately simulate flowing water.

In 2011 DED announced the PC and PSN versions of Hydrophobia, called Hydrophobia Prophecy. They were designed to address many of the criticisms of the original, but, again, failed to impress critics.

Little has been heard of the studio since. Eurogamer was told by a source that the license to the pool game the developer was working on has already been transferred to a new company called Dark Energy Publishing.

DEP will, apparently, re-employ the current staff and take the game to completion.

So, why is DED in such trouble?

"The failure of Hydrophobia is probably key to the financial troubles of the company," our source said. "I believe the company has considerable debt and investors were put off by this debt."

DED was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-02-28-hydrophobia-developer-to-enter-administration-staff-claim)