PDA

View Full Version : L.A. Noire

Pages : [1] 2

Catracoth
29-07-10, 21:42
L.A. Noire
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/92/LA_Noire_logo.jpg

YaA_4CNlHAY

L.A. Noire is an upcoming video game developed by Team Bondi and published by Rockstar Games. Initially announced as only for the PlayStation 3, the game was later reported to also be scheduled for release on the Xbox 360.

L.A. Noire is set in "a perfectly re-created Los Angeles" of the late 1940s, with players being given an open-ended challenge to solve a series of murders.

As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noire - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including, but not limited to, crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting.

The game uses a distinctive colouring-style in homage to the visual style of film noire. The postwar setting is the backdrop for plot elements that reference the detective films of the '40s, such as corruption and drugs, with a classical jazz soundtrack.

Though little information has been disclosed so far about L.A. Noire, Rockstar gives an impression of the game in the first trailer. L.A. Noire is also notable for using Darksprint's real-time global illumination technology.

jarekhanzelka
29-07-10, 22:00
Am looking forward to this, although that particular trailer rather sets me off.

Catracoth
29-07-10, 22:03
The trailer hardly details the game. I had to read several handfuls of articles just to put a general synopsis together - there's barely any information or screenshots for this title and it's coming out the first of November :confused:.

Mr GaGa
29-07-10, 22:47
I hope it's not like heavy rain. And it better be third person.

Catracoth
30-07-10, 12:21
Oh, all right...

Trigger_happy
31-07-10, 16:50
I was intrigued by this game... in 2008. Its been in development for so long, I'm worried if its ever going to show up. Despite this, I do think its looks good, and the "detective" bits seem new and novel.

silviu_raider
31-07-10, 18:34
Hmm...it does look pretty interesting, all in all.
I really like the colouring style and will most likely give it a try!
And I also really like the music from the trailer! :cln:

TombRaiderFan.
31-07-10, 23:42
What no PC version?

Well, I'm sure they'll just announce it later as Rockstar usually likes to do. I just hope they don't take too long to announce it, because it looks kind of intresting. :)

Catracoth
29-01-11, 13:53
New videos! :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/RockstarGames?v=EaziqRICLyU&feature=pyv&ad=7968258329&kw=la%20noire%20PS3&gclid=CNHlqpPV36YCFVln5QodCTD_0w#p/a/u/0/aaKCpYzNQqY

Gladous
29-01-11, 13:56
I can't wait for this! There better be multiplayer.. :pi:

Alex Fly
29-01-11, 14:19
I definitely keep an eye on this one. :tmb:

Carbonek_0051
29-01-11, 16:42
It looks amazing in terms of facial capture and graphics, but I want to see some gameplay before I decide to get it.

Trigger_happy
29-01-11, 17:06
It looks amazing in terms of facial capture and graphics, but I want to see some gameplay before I decide to get it.

Same here. I don't think we've seen any gameplay apart from the whole 'look- peoples faces!' bits. I want to know how it plays. I doubt we'll get a demo either. We can hope though, they've got until May to impress me.

Alex Fly
29-01-11, 17:10
I hope a demo will be available. Would like to try it first too.

Tommy123
30-01-11, 05:41
Im keeping an eye on this aswell. It is kind of weird that there isnt any gameplay shown at all yet :confused:

Trigger_happy
09-02-11, 17:05
Rockstar sent out a gameplay 'orientation' video today. Just watched it- without sound however- and it looks quite good actually. Its looks like a blend of Heavy Rain and GTA4.

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/13551/watch-the-first-la-noire-gameplay-series-video-orientation.html

Alex Fly
09-02-11, 17:31
I saw it. It looks great.

MangelinaJolie
09-02-11, 17:41
I wasn't interested in this until now. It looks great indeed. :)

Dingaling
09-02-11, 18:23
The detective stuff piques my interest more than the shoot out parts. Granted, Rockstar have been creating GTA games for many, many years that followed a set template and with GTA IV I started to find it boring (although still a great game). While L.A. Noire is not GTA it looks to follow a similar template but with the addition of the detective work it does look as if it'll give it a much needed injection of life and change. Red Dead Redemption was similar in that regards, followed the GTA template but managed to change it up to give it new life.

Lara's Nemesis
09-02-11, 18:25
Just watched the video, looks really promising.

The graphics look brilliant as well, some of the best character models I have ever seen.

ozzman
09-02-11, 20:43
looks amazing, i guess it's GTA backwords where YOU play the cops

Tommy123
09-02-11, 20:46
really does look great

TR freak
09-02-11, 22:42
The game looks AWESOME! I wasn't sold like I lot of people were with all the previous trailers and info focusing only on the motionscan tech. That meant nothing in terms of gameplay. Well now I no longer have fears for the gameplay. It looks outstanding.

I'm getting a real CSI type feel with the detective gameplay. I've actually bought a couple CSI games for PC myself, and I found them quite enjoyable. Examining crime scenes, collecting evidence, questioning witnesses and the like. It looks like it's less linear here though and the gameplay is more involved, especially with the whole deciding for yourself if people are lying or not and choosing when to tell them certain things. The detective gameplay here just looks brilliant.

It's also great that the game is going to vary things up with action sequences as well. The gunplay looks like it'll be similar to Red Dead Redemption(albeit without Dead Eye), which isn't a bad thing. The combat should be fun and I'm sure action sequences will be really fun. The variety of detective and action gameplay will surely make for a fantastic overall experience.

It looks like it's going to be a game that really immerses you in the world. Personally I've never been so immersed in a game world like I was with Red Dead Redemption. Here's hoping this awesome looking Rockstar game follows suit! And yes I'm aware Team Bondi are developing it. It's still a Rockstar published game though and has many typical Rockstar staples.

Carbonek_0051
10-02-11, 03:10
Rockstar sent out a gameplay 'orientation' video today. Just watched it- without sound however- and it looks quite good actually. Its looks like a blend of Heavy Rain and GTA4.

Here's the link to the site:

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/13551/watch-the-first-la-noire-gameplay-series-video-orientation.html

I love that Rockstar is doing these Gameplay series like they did with Red Dead Redemption. I've definitely made up my mind, I am getting it first day!

ozzman
10-02-11, 04:15
screw MK9, I'm getting THIS for birthday

DragonSlayer
28-02-11, 17:13
L.A. Noire's Traffic Desk is Unlocked With a Slew of New Screens
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-2971-L-A--Noire-s-Traffic-Desk-is-Unlocked-With-a-Slew-of-New-Screens.html
http://www.rockstargames.com/lanoire/agegate/ref/?redirect=features%2Ftraffic%2F

Ward Dragon
28-02-11, 17:36
This game sounds really intriguing. I'll definitely have to follow this more closely :D

Edit: I'm watching the gameplay trailer right now and I am quite surprised at how detailed the facial expressions are. I read that in the description but didn't believe it until I saw it in motion :p

DragonSlayer
05-04-11, 16:25
L.A. Noire's Trophy List Uncovered
http://www.ps3trophies.org/news/news-3242-L-A--Noire-s-Trophy-List-Uncovered.html

Some interesting ones on there like:

Keep A Lid On - Complete a brawl without losing your hat as an LAPD Detective or Investigator.

Auto Fanatic - Drive every vehicle in the city.

The auto fanatic trophy would take a while to complete if the game were to have as many vehicles as GTA San Andreas had. How many vehicles did San Andreas have?

Alex Fly
05-04-11, 16:37
I saw the list and I thought they looked fine.

the ancient
05-04-11, 16:50
I am really gettin this.

Carbonek_0051
09-04-11, 00:27
Official Trailer III (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/official-trailer-l-a-noire/712586)

Yeah I am definitely getting it. :p

Ward Dragon
09-04-11, 00:32
Official Trailer III (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/official-trailer-l-a-noire/712586)

I'm getting it too, but not on release. Silly, silly Rockstar, releasing it on the same day The Witcher 2 comes out :p (I've been looking forward to Witcher 2 for a long time, so I've got to get that one first ^_^)

Also, holy ****, I think I just saw Walter from Fringe in the trailer! :vlol: (At around 18 seconds in, that guy looks like him (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Bishop_%28Fringe%29) :p)

Edit: It actually is him! :eek: :vlol:

Voice and likeness of Leland Monroe in the multi-platform game LA Noire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LA_Noire).http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Noble#Other_work

Trigger_happy
09-04-11, 16:59
Every trailer seems the same, but I already want this game. The minute it was compared to the traditional point-and-click games like Broken Sword I wanted it.

Its just a pity about all the silly pre-order stuff they're dishing out.

igonge
09-04-11, 18:35
Edit: It actually is him! :eek: :vlol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Noble#Other_work

One of the reasons I want this LMAO :p

Spong
09-04-11, 18:40
I can't decide whether this game is good or if it's a pile of overhyped nonsense. The visuals and the so-called 'ground breaking' facial animation do nothing for me. The idea behind the game has got me intrigued though.

Pietras
09-04-11, 20:12

Looks simply incredible!

I can't decide whether this game is good or if it's a pile of overhyped nonsense. The visuals and the so-called 'ground breaking' facial animation do nothing for me. The idea behind the game has got me intrigued though.
No one can resists the 30s visuals :hug: I'm in love with taht period visually!

Spong
09-04-11, 20:25
The era means nothing to me either. If anything I dislike 'past' settings, I much prefer present-day or future.

Pietras
09-04-11, 20:27
The era means nothing to me either. If anything I dislike 'past' settings, I much prefer present-day or future.
Why? :) Period setting can be great if done well ;)

Linoshi Croft
09-04-11, 20:30
All I can say it just look at the faces :eek: they look so real!

Spong
09-04-11, 20:33
Why? :) Period setting can be great if done well ;)

*Shrugs*

History. It's boring.

Pietras
09-04-11, 20:40
*Shrugs*

History. It's boring.
Well, can't do anything about that ;) I find it fascinating, but that's me. On the other hand I despise everything fantasy for example, trolls, elfs and all this stuff so I can understand you somehow ;)

Spong
09-04-11, 20:46
Despite my aversion for all things past-tense, I'm able to waylay it when it comes to games. I wouldn't own things like Assassin's Creed II & Brotherhood or Red Dead Redemption if I couldn't. And I had double the reason to dislike RDR because it's set in the past and it's set in the wild west (my least favourite era by a long shot).

That's why, despite the setting, LA Noire still has me intrigued.

Braider
22-04-11, 13:42
I read somewhere that LA NOIR is a modern point and click game!!

Is that true???

I hate point and click and will not preorder until i'm sure its not!!

Can anybody clarify for me?

Thanks in advance

Catracoth
22-04-11, 15:00
I don't know who told you it was a point and click game, but if you read about the game from reputable websites or even watch videos for it, you can see it's clearly not.

robm_2007
22-04-11, 20:21
I was thinking that I wouldnt be able to buy this, as I need to save money for summer, but I forgot that I sell my books at the end of the semester :D

Catracoth
04-05-11, 20:00
Using groundbreaking new animation technology that captures every nuance of an actor’s facial performance in astonishing detail...

Um, Heavy Rain anyone?

Carbonek_0051
04-05-11, 20:02
Um, Heavy Rain anyone?

Heavy Rain didn't do what L.A. Noire is doing, Heavy Rain was regular motion capture. L.A. Noire is different:

CBYlRD-Hk8k

It really is new.

Catracoth
04-05-11, 20:04
Oh, well I stand corrected!
Thanks for sharing that, Nate. :D

*laralover*
04-05-11, 21:45
Looks sweet :D Did i just spy Brian Krause in the game?

igonge
05-05-11, 00:17
I hope John Noble's character has a lot of screen time, he's awesome :p

Agent Dee
05-05-11, 06:19
Looks sweet :D Did i just spy Brian Krause in the game?

yup, that's him, I just got mine paid off and and now playing the waiting game till I get it on the 17th :jmp:.

Trigger_happy
05-05-11, 12:31
I read somewhere that LA NOIR is a modern point and click game!!

Is that true???

I hate point and click and will not preorder until i'm sure its not!!

Can anybody clarify for me?

Thanks in advance

People have made comparisons between the two. The way you investigate the crime scenes and figure out all the evidence has drawn parallels. Which really excites me!

hope.
06-05-11, 12:40
Can't wait for this game to come out! But it's crazy that this game is getting 3 discs on the xbox flipping heck! haha

Alex Fly
06-05-11, 13:29
I'm going to preorder this one very soon. :)

Trigger_happy
06-05-11, 14:59
^I might as well. Play.com's pre-order comes with the Soundtrack, which seems exciting. And an extra mission, but I don't care about that. The music in the Rockstar games I've played has always been brilliant, and I expect this one to be the same.

trfanX34
06-05-11, 15:04
Is this game available for PC? It looks very good :)

Trigger_happy
06-05-11, 16:06

No. Then again, Rockstar has a history of pumping out a PC port at a later date, like they did with GTA IV.

trfanX34
06-05-11, 16:11
No. Then again, Rockstar has a history of pumping out a PC port at a later date, like they did with GTA IV.

Oh phew :)

robm_2007
06-05-11, 19:45
L.A. Noire Spans Three Discs On Xbox 360

Rockstar has confirmed that its upcoming detective story will require three discs on 360. How does this impact your gaming experience? Not much, really.

L.A. Noire has a ton of voice acting and facial capture, not to mention the fact that it's a Rockstar game, which are traditionally not short affairs. The fact that it requires multiple discs isn't a huge surprise. To be clear, it will fit onto a single Blu-ray disc for PS3 owners.

Ultimately, all this means is that LA Noire is a big game; don't bother trotting this out as ammunition for the console wars...unless getting up to change discs twice during your playthrough is a huge dealbreaker for you.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/05/l-a-noire-spans-three-discs-on-xbox-360.aspx

---

I kinda like that it seems so necessary to have 3 discs. I'm also glad that i will be getting this for PS3, and will require only ONE disc to play :whi:

Carbonek_0051
06-05-11, 19:46
I was about to post that. :p I don't mind, FFXIII, ME2, & Castlevania LoS had multiple discs.

Catracoth
06-05-11, 23:35
I don't see why it matters.
Mass Effect 2 had two discs, along with plenty of other games.
It shows how epic the game really is.

jackali
06-05-11, 23:49
Lost Odyssey had 4 discs. I like games having more discs. It means they'll be longer. :p

!Lara Croft!
07-05-11, 00:01
I like games having more than 1 disk, means you're getting you moneys worth.

DragonSlayer
07-05-11, 00:11
Don't know if i'll get this or not, not enough is known about the game for me to buy it straight away, maybe i'll change my mind if i get to try before i buy.

Remember back before GTA San Andreas came out, every Playstation magazine went SA crazy with 10 page features in nearly every magazine, pity they didn't do that with LA Noire, then again they probably couldn't if Rockstar Games deliberately chose not to release as much information for LA Noire as they did with San Andreas.

Catracoth
07-05-11, 02:23

Not necessarily.

jd84
07-05-11, 03:23

Counterpoint:

http://www.gloopy.co.uk/images/the-x-files-game-pc-cover.jpg

Nausinous
07-05-11, 09:54
Heavy Rain didn't do what L.A. Noire is doing, Heavy Rain was regular motion capture. L.A. Noire is different:

It really is new.

Jeez! That looks astounding! :eek:

Trigger_happy
07-05-11, 11:29

You might be in luck: apparently, ERSB has already looked at a PC/ Mac port of the game. However, a Rockstar employee gave the usual comment regarding speculation.

http://www.thegamerbuzz.com/rockstar-confirms-fate-of-la-noire-on-pcmac

larson n natla
07-05-11, 12:28
Don't know if i'll get this or not, not enough is known about the game for me to buy it straight away, maybe i'll change my mind if i get to try before i buy.

Remember back before GTA San Andreas came out, every Playstation magazine went SA crazy with 10 page features in nearly every magazine, pity they didn't do that with LA Noire, then again they probably couldn't if Rockstar Games deliberately chose not to release as much information for LA Noire as they did with San Andreas.

That's more because San Andreas was a sequel to two insanely popular games and was doing things never done before in gaming. The map for example was the biggest open world map that could be travelled by land sea and air at the time I think.

If L.A Noire has future sequels I'm sure it will be featured in many magazines but Rockstar need to know they have a fan base for the game before they pump hundreds of thousands into advertising and magazine features. Saying that L.A Noire is being well publicised in my area. Advertisements are screened on T.V quite a bit as well as it being featured in various newspapers. :)

TotalLost
07-05-11, 12:29
Definitely day 1 buy for me :) I'll get it for my PS3, because it only has 1 disc unlike the XBOX 360 version. Plus: Exclusive DLC. Can't wait, that game is gonna be AWESOME.

larson n natla
07-05-11, 12:33
Oh I just spotted the multi-disc feature for the Xbox 360. I'm quite surprised to be honest and a little excited, I mean if they fitted Grand Theft Auto IV on one disc and games such as Oblivion with sprawling landscapes and plenty of dialogue also fit on one disc L.A Noire must have something special.

Although it could just be because of the motion capture?

Trigger_happy
07-05-11, 12:49
Although it could just be because of the motion capture?

I think its that- all that uncompressed mo-cap video takes up a lot of space.

Spong
11-05-11, 16:29
L.A. Noire will debut the Rockstar Pass

Next Tuesday a Rockstar Pass will be available to download for L.A. Noire on Xbox Live. This Pass costs 800 Microsoft Points.

But what is it? There's no explanation given.

The name Rockstar Pass suggests an emulation of the EA Online Pass - a code that must be entered either to play multiplayer or download additional game content. In L.A. Noire's case, this is presumably the latter, as Rockstar will add more crime capers called Cases for players to download and solve.

We've put a query into Rockstar.

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-11-noire-will-debut-the-rockstar-pass)

Sounds like it's a 360 only thing, which is weird in itself, but the most perturbing part of this news is that there's no mention of whether or not, like EA, it'll be a one-time pass that comes with each new game. If it doesn't then, as far as I'm concerned, Rockstar have just talked themselves right out of a sale.

Trigger_happy
12-05-11, 11:29
I've already pre-ordered mine, and I don't really care- its probably just going to be like The Saboteur, where you were meant to get some extra stuff in game. The code never worked though, so I managed to finish the game before they fixed that problem. It didn't detract from the game at all. Hopefully though you don't have to pay to buy extra stuff- that's just silly.

Spong
12-05-11, 16:00
Rockstar just seem to have been more than a bit vague about the whole thing. If it's strictly Rockstar's version of EA's online pass then there's no real problem. But why would there seemingly be no pass for PS3 players if that was the case?

It's all a bit odd and indistinct. If it really is a case of having to buy the ability to buy DLC then Rockstar can forget it. But surely it can't be that, that'd be completely mental.

Trigger_happy
12-05-11, 16:04
Rockstar just seem to have been more than a bit vague about the whole thing. If it's strictly Rockstar's version of EA's online pass then there's no real problem. But why would there seemingly be no pass for PS3 players if that was the case?

It's all a bit odd and indistinct. If it really is a case of having to buy the ability to buy DLC then Rockstar can forget it. But surely it can't be that, that'd be completely mental.

Maybe its a requirement by MS? Or they just haven't mentioned the PS3 as PSN is down? Or it could be to access the PS3 exclusive bits the game apparently has? I'm sure, and hopeful, we'll find out what it is soon.

Alex Fly
12-05-11, 16:07
Could be something equivalent to what EA did for Mass Effect 2 IMO. Well that's the way I see it.

Catracoth
12-05-11, 16:17
Yeah I was thinking the same. Rockstar Pass = Cerberus Network.

ajrich17901
12-05-11, 16:18
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/05/12/what-39-s-the-line-between-what-39-s-in-the-game-and-dlc.aspx

Sizable Content Left Off of L.A. Noire Disc?

Catracoth
12-05-11, 16:50
I don't get it.

Carbonek_0051
12-05-11, 17:31
I don't get it.

It means there was two disks worth of content not put into the final game, and that they are speculating that it will be released later as DLC.

Catracoth
12-05-11, 18:25
It means there was two disks worth of content not put into the final game, and that they are speculating that it will be released later as DLC.

Ah all right. :)
Hmm, I read earlier that the missing content was actually planned additional content that wouldn't make it on the discs and would instead be released as DLC. That sounds fair.

Trigger_happy
13-05-11, 11:09
Its two more 'desks' isn't it- burglary and 'bunko' or fraud? I think that would be fine DLC, as they said they just couldn't fit it in due to time and work loads.

EDIT:

1Up has an interview with Brendan McNamara about making the game- all the behind the scenes stuff. Its really interesting actually.

http://www.1up.com/previews/la-noire-interview-why-seven-years?pager.offset=0

igonge
14-05-11, 17:09
I'm £10 short to pay for the pre-order :( I'll get it eventually.

Catracoth
14-05-11, 20:14
Dear Christ, I'm about to lose my mind. Tuesday must come quickly!

scremanie
15-05-11, 01:06
I have to wait until next Wednesday! D:

Carbonek_0051
15-05-11, 01:26
I have to wait until Friday. >_<

robm_2007
15-05-11, 01:51
I have to wait until Friday. >_<

I have to wait until maybe next Saturday!

I might house sit for my sister, and she's leaving Tues and coiming back on Sat.

so I might not even be able to get the game, let alone play it until I go home. I'd also be missing out on trying to finish Deus Ex 1 and continue wasting away my life on The Sims 3 Ps3.

TS3 isnt really fun (it's not boring, either), but I am addicted to it :pi:

Catracoth
15-05-11, 03:38
I'll be sure to dance around this thread on Tuesday. :p

Trigger_happy
15-05-11, 10:33
I don't know why, but I'm going out of my mind waiting for this game! I dreamt about it for God's sake!

Then again, the Guardian review that was leaked gave it full marks, so that might be why...

the ancient
15-05-11, 11:27
Release in 5 days here! :jmp:

Catracoth
15-05-11, 14:31
I'm going to the midnight launch tomorrow night. :jmp:

Croftizzle
15-05-11, 22:37
Game looks great, but I'm worried about the lack of multi-player. Once the game is finished, it's done. You completed it, the end. Nothing left to see here until you pay for ridiculously overpriced DLC that should've been in the game in the first place. I'll have to wait and see for feedback.

Catracoth
15-05-11, 22:54
Why are you worried about the lack of multiplayer?
A game like this wouldn't really make sense having multiplayer.
It's like Heavy Rain meets Grand Theft Auto. It's a detective story, not a vigilante theme. If it were a vigilante theme, I could see some cops and robbers multiplayer action, but otherwise, no.

In addition, I don't think the DLC for this game will be overpriced. All DLC is the same price depending on what the content is. Considering how vast and open this game is, there's no way the DLC at default price would be overpriced.

Trigger_happy
16-05-11, 10:42
I really hate that now every single game has to have multiplayer crammed in. Sometimes I just want to get away from the world and play a game, not deal with screaming idiots online as I lag my way through some poorly set up deathmatch.

EDIT: And anyway, the games meant to be about 25-30 hours long anyway- what more can you want?!

Autolycus
16-05-11, 11:47
Seen this game advertised and it does look really good and I should get it at some point. May just be me but my first impression was that it looked alot like Mafia II.

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 17:01
IGN review . .like usual they are to harsh as its not COD :rolleyes: but still the game looks :tmb:

fc_Mww4Ra5k&feature=feedu

They lowered the rating for a "ODD" ending . . .

Gamespot Review

0lbuG51aDDo&feature=feedu

Ignore all the comments they are actually disgusting , actually slagging of the reviewers appearance which I thought was just sick but this is a much better review.

Dingaling
16-05-11, 17:32
5/5 from Digital Spy (http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/review/a319760/review-la-noire-xbox-360.html)

8/10 from Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-16-l-a-noire-review?page=1)

So great reviews it's been getting so far :tmb:.

Spong
16-05-11, 17:36
Can anyone clarify what the Rockstar Pass on 360 is all about? As it stands, because I don't know, it's absolutely stopping me from buying the game when it's released. Is it still a 360 only thing (as was originally implied)? Does it have to be purchased or does it come with the game (like EA's online pass)? What is it for?

Dingaling
16-05-11, 17:40
I think it comes with the game though like the EA stuff so you don't have to buy it unless you buy it used in which case it costs 800 MS Points.

Spong
16-05-11, 17:45
I think it comes with the game though like the EA stuff so you don't have to buy it unless you buy it used in which case it costs 800 MS Points.

That's what I'm hoping, but Rockstar have seemingly neither confirmed nor denied it. And the fact it apparently only applies to the 360 version just adds confusion :confused:

Tonyrobinson
16-05-11, 18:02
L.A. Noire or Alice 2? :p

They both look awesome, I want them both but just can't decide. :o

Linoshi Croft
16-05-11, 18:58
I would say LA Noire as its offers something alot more unique I would say.

Catracoth
16-05-11, 19:44
Is anyone going to a midnight launch for the game?
I'm heading to GameStop tonight around 10pm (in 6 hours).

Lara's Nemesis
16-05-11, 19:57
I'm heading to GameStop tonight around 10pm (in 6 hours).

The only time I did that was for GTA IV, didn't have it pre ordered and that was the only way I was going to get the game. I went about an hour before they went on sale, was crazy the amount of people who were there. :D

Carbonek_0051
16-05-11, 20:27
I'm heading to GameStop tonight around 10pm (in 6 hours).I might depending on if I can round up some money.

igonge
16-05-11, 22:24
Stop teasing me! *runs to a corner and cries*

:p

Seriously though I think might be able to round up some extra money for it by the end of the week. :jmp:

*laralover*
16-05-11, 22:28
Stop teasing me! *runs to a corner and cries*

:p

Seriously though I think might be able to round up some extra money for it by the end of the week. :jmp:

I have to rent it :pi:

Catracoth
17-05-11, 04:18
L.A. Noire is Jesus on THREE discs.

Pietras
17-05-11, 05:41
I need this game in my life!!! Watched first 15 minutes! INCREDIBLE!!!

scremanie
17-05-11, 07:37
Pre-ordered a copy today! It was last minute pre-order just for the DLC. :p

My manager also gave me a shirt for getting 2 people to pre-order it. :D

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/eb9ca1f7.jpg

I'm working on Thursday, which is the release date here in Aus, so I'm going to wear the shirt at work, lol.

jajay119
17-05-11, 07:43
LAN is probably my most anticipated game of the year, and I have to wait till August to play it... This saddens me!

scremanie
17-05-11, 07:44
It looks weird like that... LAN..... >_>

jajay119
17-05-11, 07:55
I know, people will think I'm talking about an internet connection, I was just too lazy to write the full name.

scremanie
17-05-11, 07:59
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab10/scremanie/roflbot-03tp.jpg

jajay119
17-05-11, 08:18
http://forum.sensiseeds.com/uploads/19197/burns.gif

Catracoth
17-05-11, 15:42
L.A. Noire is bloody perfect! :jmp:

Trigger_happy
17-05-11, 15:47
L.A. Noire is bloody perfect! :jmp:

Have you got it yet?! Mine's been dispatched, so hopefully I should get it before the actual release date. I doubt it though.

jd84
17-05-11, 15:50
I'm about two hours into the game and all I can say is "WOW".

I'm not going to spoil anything, but the first 3-4 cases are ridiculously short and easy, they basically serve as tutorials. Rest assure, cases get more challenging once you get promoted.

If you expect a GTA clone, you're gonna be disappointed. You can't pull out your gun and go on a killing rampage, heck you can't even pull out your gun whenever you want. Also, you literally cannot run over people with your car, pedestrians always manage to get out of your way in the nick of time. The game is very reminiscent of Police Quest. It's like a point and click adventure game, but it's not. I hope that makes sense. The game succeeds where Heavy Rain failed, by that I mean it's actually fun to play :p (I still think HR is a great game, by the way).

And for the love of everything that is holy, turn off Clue Hints. They make the game way too easy and ruin the immersion, in my opinion. Also, playing the game in black & white really adds up to the experience.

This game has hands down the best friggin' facial animations I've ever seen in a video game. Sometimes, during cutscenes and interrogation scenes, you'd swear you're watching a movie. They're that good. The voice acting is also top notch.

My only complaint so far is that the game is a bit linear. Linear doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but I was expecting to be able to do a lot more between cases. With that said, the game is amazing and you should pick it up right the **** now.

Catracoth
17-05-11, 17:04
Have you got it yet?! Mine's been dispatched, so hopefully I should get it before the actual release date. I doubt it though.

I went to the midnight launch last night.

Carbonek_0051
17-05-11, 17:30
Got mine at midnight, Gamestop had us do some target practice on Cole with a nerf gun for a $10 gift card. xD

Anyway, haven't played yet. Stayed at a friends, I am downloading the DLC then jumping in. :D

Spong
19-05-11, 02:24
So, any of you America people having problems with the game freezing?
It seems to be causing a lot of trouble for a lot of players on both PS3 and 360. Rockstar blamed the latest firmware update on PS3, saying the console was overheating, but the same thing is happening on 360 too so people aren't buying their excuse. I may well be doing the same when it comes to the release here in the UK on Friday (not buying it).

Catracoth
19-05-11, 03:00
Sounds like hogwash.
The game hasn't froze once and I'm on disc three already.

Carbonek_0051
19-05-11, 03:19
Sounds like hogwash.
The game hasn't froze once...Likewise.

Spong
19-05-11, 03:27
Cheers for the replies, I was just wondering because Rockstar's boards are awash with complaints at the moment. Though people are posting the same thing you guys have, the complaints are easily outnumbering them.

Title updates are apparently pending.

interstellardave
19-05-11, 04:13
People who are having problems want to post about them on the boards... people who aren't are playing the game!

jackali
19-05-11, 09:27
Just got this through the post. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Trigger_happy
19-05-11, 10:56
Just got this through the post. I'm looking forward to starting it.

Oh. Mine was dispatched Tuesday, but hasn't come yet. Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I suppose it means I have to keep revising...

Alex Fly
19-05-11, 12:18
After Rockstar blamed Sony for overheating issues and crashing when playing LA Noire on PS3, then switched to no longer blaming the PS3 for the LA Noire issues, it appears crashing is also being reported by Xbox 360 users - something Sony is very keen to point out.

"As with the release of any System Update, we will invariably see a very small number of users whose console has failed following updating their console, which is an unfortunate coincidence" A Sony spokesperson told Edge.

"Rockstar have now updated their FAQ on the matter, have admitted that it is a fault with their latest title LA Noire and have offered a work around. It should also be noted that the issue with this title is not PS3 specific and is also affecting other consoles."

Other consoles being the Xbox 360.

Rockstar is offering advice over on its customer support page.

And in case you missed it, LA Noire is actually rather good, earning a stonking 10/10 in our LA Noire review.
http://www.videogamer.com/news/la_noire_crashes_reported_on_xbox_360_too.html

What ? This game is making the consoles crash ?! :eek:

matrix54
19-05-11, 13:40
a game so good, not even the hardware can handle it. :rolleyes:

Alex Fly
19-05-11, 13:42
That's really a shame, hope they'll work on a patch quickly.

Carbonek_0051
19-05-11, 13:52
My brother who is playing on PS3 has had zero issues. I am playing on 360 and can say the same.

Anyway, I have 4 more story cases and 20 street cases left! I want to keep playing but I need sleep. xD

Spong
19-05-11, 14:38
When I posted that story in the PS3 Discussion thread last night, I went and checked the Rockstar boards and it quickly became apparent that Rockstar were talking crap about the firmware on PS3 being at fault and they've since retracted their claim...

PS3 firmware 3.61 not crashing LA Noire

Rockstar has retracted its accusation that firmware 3.61 causes PS3 versions of L.A. Noire to crash and freeze due to the console overheating.

Sony last night condemned Rockstar's claim as "rumour" and "speculation". Rockstar has removed the offending post from its website.

Rockstar's support FAQ has been updated to offer routine troubleshooting steps for L.A. Noire owners experience problems on both PS3 and Xbox 360. There's no mention of PS3 firmware 3.61.

L.A. Noire will be released across the UK tomorrow. Eurogamer's L.A. Noire review was published yesterday.

From Eurogamer (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-19-ps3-firmware-3-61-not-crashing-la-noire)

Doesn't mean that the game isn't massively faulty for some people though. Something is clearly not right, boards everywhere are full of complaints.

Trigger_happy
19-05-11, 14:41
Its a pity that Rockstar tried to jump on the 'Sony is all that is bad in the world' bandwagon, but I suppose at least they are acknowledging it. I'm sure they'll get a patch done soon.

jajay119
19-05-11, 14:42
Rockstar always have problems with their games. GTAIV always crashed on my PS3 and on a frends 360 after a certain amount of time. Not to mentional all the 'unreadable' or 'disk not inserted' messages that plagued Vice City and San Andreas. Red Dead Redemption used to makes my brother's 360 crash. And now with LA Noire it doesn't surprise me that there is problems too.

What does surprise me is the R* tried to blame it on Sony, as if they aren't having a tough enough time of it already! Not cool Rockstar, not cool.

scremanie
19-05-11, 14:55
^Rockstar is only the publisher. :/

Spong
19-05-11, 14:57
^Rockstar is only the publisher. :/

And the developer, along with Team Bondi.

scremanie
19-05-11, 16:10
And the developer, along with Team Bondi.

Indeed, but TB had a larger role in the development process, and used their own engine.

DragonSlayer
19-05-11, 16:57
Rockstar always have problems with their games. GTAIV always crashed on my PS3 and on a frends 360 after a certain amount of time. Not to mentional all the 'unreadable' or 'disk not inserted' messages that plagued Vice City and San Andreas. Red Dead Redemption used to makes my brother's 360 crash. And now with LA Noire it doesn't surprise me that there is problems too.

What does surprise me is the R* tried to blame it on Sony, as if they aren't having a tough enough time of it already! Not cool Rockstar, not cool.

I've never had any issues with GTA4 when i had it or Vice City or San Andreas which i still have, LA Noire isn't out here yet gotta wait until tomorrow morning.

*laralover*
19-05-11, 19:16
That sounds crap. I never had freezing issues on RDR on PS3.

DragonSlayer
19-05-11, 21:14

RDR was built using the engine that Rockstar usually use, LA Noire was made using Team Bondi's engine.

Carbonek_0051
19-05-11, 22:24
Beat the game half an hour ago, wow. Honestly one of the best games this generation. The story is great and gripping, and I never once wanted to put it down. The story is emotionally one of the best I've seen in a game. Can't wait for DLC. :tmb:

Linoshi Croft
19-05-11, 22:25
Beat the game half an hour ago, wow. Honestly one of the best games this generation. The story is great and gripping, and I never once wanted to put it down. The story is emotionally one of the best I've seen in a game. Can't wait for DLC. :tmb:

How long did it last? Games these days seem to be either to easy or too short :/

Carbonek_0051
19-05-11, 22:27
How long did it last? Games these days seem to be either to easy or too short :/

I play non-stop that's why I beat it in two days. lol

It took me 20 hours for story and 20 street crimes, and I still have 20 more street crimes, and loads of stuff to find. :)

Linoshi Croft
19-05-11, 22:34
I play non-stop that's why I beat it in two days. lol

It took me 20 hours for story and 20 street crimes, and I still have 20 more street crimes, and loads of stuff to find. :)

20 hours seems decent and I would probably take longer as I take my time even though I play non stop also. Maybe another thing to make me get La Noire instead ;)

DragonSlayer
19-05-11, 23:11

Homefront is the worst offender when it comes to short games at only 5 hours long, Homefront is not worth the 60 quid most places charge for it.

I plan on taking my time when i get LA Noire, i don't plan on rushing through it.

Catracoth
20-05-11, 00:18
I just finished The Naked City; what a case, man. I'm onto another case in the Administrative Vice department, almost on rank 18 where I'll unlock a new outfit. I think my only gripe with this game is not being able to choose what handgun you have or having certain [hidden] cars that you've found parked outside police stations. I'm pretty sure this will win GOTY though. :tmb:

BigR4444
20-05-11, 01:34

RDR froze on my PS3 multiple times.... but I just gave the system a 10 minute break, turned it back on, and got right back into the game....

LA Noire is a different story...

I played for about 4 hours on Tuesday night , without a hitch... but when i played it Wednesday night, the System shut down on me, im the middle of a save, and killed my save data.... it did it again after another hour in.... now I cant run the game for more than five mins before it overheats and shuts down....

Id like to see this upcoming patch fix the problem, but Im afraid I may have to replace my tired old 20gb launch model PS3 and get a new one.....

Carbonek_0051
20-05-11, 01:39
Brendan McNamara seriously gets my respect, first the Getaway now L.A. Noire. In some ways I feel like L.A. Noire is somewhat of a spiritual successor to the Getaway. The atmosphere, cinematic direction, writing, and the gameplay (minus the detective work) all remind me of the game. :tmb:

Catracoth
20-05-11, 03:58
I'm on my second arson case now.
Thirteen hours into the game already. :D

jajay119
20-05-11, 07:14
Well LAN is sounding every bit as amazing as I expected it to be, I may just buy it early considering my flatmate has a PS3 that he let's me use when he isn't there, which is always! :)

Alex Fly
20-05-11, 10:42
Just received my copy. The game cover is stunning ! :)

sikasika18
20-05-11, 10:44
I want this game so bad!!
I have to wait, been having some money trouble this month:(

It looks soooooo good! It's almost creepy how real they look in this game o.O

igonge
20-05-11, 14:35
This might sound demented but, I love driving on the pavement with my siren on :p

Sometime the pedestrian AI runs out onto the road right in front of my car... it's quite funny actually :vlol:

Trigger_happy
20-05-11, 16:08
This made me giggle recently:

http://images.lazygamer.net/2011/05/201105201443-tm.jpg

Quite a few people probably think that. Rockstar should give Bondi more credit.

Spong
20-05-11, 16:09
I cancelled my order, much to the annoyance of the staff in the store. From what I'm hearing, the game's too buggy and unreliable, I'll wait until Rockstar sort the mess out with a title update and for someone inevitably take the game back so I can get it cheap. £40 is too much of a gamble.

jajay119
20-05-11, 17:11
This might sound demented but, I love driving on the pavement with my siren on :p

Sometime the pedestrian AI runs out onto the road right in front of my car... it's quite funny actually :vlol:

They must be running it on the same engine as the one from GTAIV then because there used to be a lot of pedestrians who would do it in that too!

Spong
20-05-11, 17:15

LOL, they stole that AI from the original Driver of PSOne. I used to spend ours trying to mow the little buggers down, but they'd always get out the way :D:p

Carbonek_0051
20-05-11, 18:51
I cancelled my order, much to the annoyance of the staff in the store. From what I'm hearing, the game's too buggy and unreliable, I'll wait until Rockstar sort the mess out with a title update and for someone inevitably take the game back so I can get it cheap. £40 is too much of a gamble.Honestly you seem like you were just looking for a reason not to buy it.

jajay119
20-05-11, 18:57
Well he found it :p, although to be fair it's not as if the game is as epicly bad as Fallout New Vegas, nothing about that game worked how it was intended! I'm pretty sure they left half the code out to be honest! I've just ordered a copy of LAN of play.com... Now I play the waiting game*

*This is actually just waiting, I don't actually have a game dedicated to waiting. Dull!

Trigger_happy
20-05-11, 19:00
Well he found it :p, although to be fair it's not as if the game is as epicly bad as Fallout New Vegas, nothing about that game worked how it was intended! I'm pretty sure they left half the code out to be honest! I've just ordered a copy of LAN of play.com... Now I play the waiting game*

*This is actually just waiting, I don't actually have a game dedicated to waiting. Dull!

Don't get too excited- my copy from Play.com still hasn't come, and they emailed Tuesday morning saying it had been dispatched. I wanted something to do other than revising! Wahhhh!

jajay119
20-05-11, 19:02
Hmm not too good, ah well I have peace walker to entertain me until it comes

Carbonek_0051
20-05-11, 19:05
Hmm not too good, ah well I have peace walker to entertain me until it comes

I'm sure Peace Walker is anything but entertaining. /joking...sort of :pi:

jajay119
20-05-11, 19:37
I'm sure Peace Walker is anything but entertaining. /joking...sort of :pi:

I really want to like it but I just can't get past the awful control limitations of the PSP, I really want a PS3 version!

Plus I'm only like 20 mins in so It could go either way

Spong
20-05-11, 21:39
Okay, okay, I couldn't handle it. I cancelled my pre-order from GAME because I didn't want to pay £40 for a game that might potentially brick within ten minutes of me firing it up. But, while I was out with a friend earlier, I saw in my local Blockbuster that they were selling the 360 version for £28. So I took leave of my senses and bought it.

I had a scare when I started the game though. For the first ten seconds of the intro sequence, the frame rate was as choppy as hell, and I mean it was really bad, not just the little skipping that happens when a game's loading or something. But, touch wood, it's been fine since.

I just got promoted to Traffic, clearly I'm the most awesome cop ever because I haven't a clue why I was promoted. Throughout the interview I did for the jewellery store murder I didn't know what was going on and I just lucked out in making the right choices :D

MangelinaJolie
21-05-11, 03:53
I had a scare when I started the game though. For the first ten seconds of the intro sequence, the frame rate was as choppy as hell, and I mean it was really bad, not just the little skipping that happens when a game's loading or something. But, touch wood, it's been fine since.

This and some minor framerate issues are the only technical problems I've encountered in the game so far. I wouldn't worry too much.

For the record I have the discs installed to my hard drive. I noticed when I put the second one in that there was a considerable amount of pop-up on textures and objects before I had it installed. I would recommend it solely for that but I'm sure it could also ease any other worries.

Spong
21-05-11, 03:56
This and some minor framerate issues are the only technical problems I've encountered in the game so far. I wouldn't worry too much.

You had the really bad frame rate thing at the start of the intro too? In a weird kind of way it's good to know I'm not the only one.

EDIT
I've installed all the discs, yeah.

MangelinaJolie
21-05-11, 03:57
You had the really bad frame rate thing at the start of the intro too? In a weird kind of way it's good to know I'm not the only one.

At the part where it showed a car or something right at the beginning, yes. It lasted about 5-10 seconds. I didn't really think much of it though. I guess it's a little comforting for me as well to know that it could be normal. :p

Carbonek_0051
21-05-11, 04:09
Just finished all the street crimes! :D

I have 15 landmarks, 45 cars, and 50 film reels (no idea where to find them) left until 100%. :)

scremanie
21-05-11, 04:27
They must be running it on the same engine as the one from GTAIV then because there used to be a lot of pedestrians who would do it in that too!

GTAIV uses the RAGE engine, created by R*.

L.A. Noire uses a completely different engine, created by Team Bondi.

Spong
21-05-11, 12:37
^Which would explain all the surf boards, barbecues and cork hats :p

I bet I'm the only person in this thread who's playing the game properly. And by that, I mean playing it in black & white. I saw it in the options and thought it was the right thing to do, seeing as they never had colours back then.

scremanie
21-05-11, 13:05
Ohh I didn't even know of that option! I'll have to give that a try when I finally pick my copy up on Wed!

Is it a similar colour scheme to The Saboteur, but without the red?

jajay119
21-05-11, 13:05
GTAIV uses the RAGE engine, created by R*.

L.A. Noire uses a completely different engine, created by Team Bondi.

Ah ok, thanks I didn't know, I wonder why it happens then! It's not as if it's something incredibly damaging to the rep of the AI but it is rather funny!

scremanie
21-05-11, 13:07
Can you actually kill civilians? :p

jarekhanzelka
21-05-11, 13:07
Ohh I didn't even know of that option! I'll have to give that a try when I finally pick my copy up on Wed!

Is it a similar colour scheme to The Saboteur, but without the red?

mvUCu_Jvm88

scremanie
21-05-11, 13:13
mvUCu_Jvm88

Oh hot dang!

Spong
21-05-11, 13:30

I crushed someone up against a wall with the bonnet of my car last night, for once it was a genuine accident. The game moaned at me and said something about it impacting how cool I am (I forget the actual wording). So it can be done. Having said that, I've driven at full speed along the pavements and the little buggers jump out the way.

scremanie
21-05-11, 13:41
I crushed someone up against a wall with the bonnet of my car last night, for once it was a genuine accident. The game moaned at me and said something about it impacting how cool I am (I forget the actual wording). So it can be done. Having said that, I've driven at full speed along the pavements and the little buggers jump out the way.

:vlol:

I'm guessing the civilians dodging your speeding car is intentional?

Spong
21-05-11, 15:17
:vlol:

I'm guessing the civilians dodging your speeding car is intentional?

Yeah, like the civilians dodge your car like the original Driver on PSOne. They always seem to just get out the way in time :(

Phlip
21-05-11, 15:20
Yeah, like the civilians dodge your car like the original Driver on PSOne. They always seem to just get out the way in time :(

Actually I remember my brother once drove through one in Driver 1. Quite unbelievable. XD

Trigger_happy
21-05-11, 15:55
You can hit them- I mushed some poor woman chasing a bad guy, and she went flying. I got fined £50 at the end of the case, so apparently, it wasn't that messy.

I'm up to 'The Golden Butterfly', and I realised how rubbish I am at this game. I can't drive, it takes more forever to find the evidence, I get excited during the interrogations and jab the wrong button. I'm useless, but its so much fun! It brilliant being a detective.

igonge
21-05-11, 17:02

I crushed a woman with my car and she never got back up :p

Spong
22-05-11, 04:08
Getting fed up with quitting and restarting every time I get a question wrong. If there wasn't any emphasis on getting the interviews/interrogations right then I wouldn't care, but clearly I'm supposed to be getting them right. So, the moment I screw one up (i.e. all the time because there's not a whole lot of logic involved), it's back to the last checkpoint. It's a flawed gameplay mechanic really, it should save the instant a witness/suspect responds so that people like me can't retry.

BtoFu
22-05-11, 06:52
Getting fed up with:

Cole's straight as an arrow schtick
The homicide cases in general
Picking up beer bottles and cig butts

I'm really hoping for something to shake Cole up already. I think they've laid the groundwork five times over for D'awwwww you got the wrong guy and it's getting monotonous. I'm choking for him to become the hard boiled Sam Spade archetype and if he doesn't do it soon I feel like I won't even bother finishing the game.

Carbonek_0051
22-05-11, 06:53
Trust me, I felt the same way about Cole. He gets a lot more interesting after homocide.

igonge
22-05-11, 10:22
I just got to Arson. :( Oh my. I did not expect that.

Trigger_happy
22-05-11, 12:24
I'm only on homicide, but the story is thickening! Cole's had, by the looks of it, a dodgy past. And the BD case is getting exciting!

On a happier note, I ran Galloway down multiple times for being such a dick. I crushed his hat, so he spent the rest of the case bald-headed and unhappy.

igonge
22-05-11, 13:10
On a happier note, I ran Galloway down multiple times for being such a dick. I crushed his hat, so he spent the rest of the case bald-headed and unhappy.

I kept doing that too :vlol:

Peanut
22-05-11, 13:52
I can't wait to get my exams over with so that I can run to the store and buy this game, it looks so cool. Becoming a detective, interrogating. :cln:

DragonSlayer
22-05-11, 16:51
Really getting into this game, almost at the end of case 4 i'm just after leaving the morgue i'm heading back to the pattinson residence.

Question can you continue playing after the game is over or do you have to start over again, i'm just wondering because i'm leaving collecting collectibles until i finish the game.

MangelinaJolie
22-05-11, 16:54
When you finish a desk you can free roam for that part of the game and take care of any street crimes you missed while also gathering collectibles. I wouldn't prioritize them while you're actually in a case since you'll just ruin your end rating with vehicle damage, etc.

Spong
22-05-11, 17:44
*SPOILERS IN THIS POST FOR ANYONE WHO HASN'T PLAYED THE GAME FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR*

I'm not so much playing through this game as stumbling through it. Not one interview has really made any sense yet, there seems to be no logic to doubting or accusing people of lying.

For example, the first case you deal with in traffic, the abandoned car at the train yard and the missing husband. Apparently, the receipt for the live pig in the boot of the car proves without a shadow of doubt that the guy who signed the receipt (the Instaheat technician) was at the train yard. It doesn't prove that at all. All it proves is that his receipt somehow got into the boot of the car, yet I was expected to accuse the guy of lying and use that as evidence. And then, when the Instaheat guy claims the missing husband's done a runner to Seattle, instead of accusing him of lying again (the logical step because I'd seen the unused train ticket) the correct way forwards was to just doubt him and threaten him with violence. I simply don't get that logic :confused:

I hope the rest of the game isn't like that.

Dia2blo
22-05-11, 18:35
^ I've literally just started too and thought the exact same about those situations.

Maybe it's because I play Phoenix Wright games too much, or because i'm studying law, but the contradictions so far in this game make my head hurt.

paulwork
22-05-11, 19:54
Just got promoted to vice. It seems the more you get promoted, the larger the crime scene area is, in terms of square meters.

Has anyone spotted the current hollywood faces scattered throughout the game e.g. the mindreading cop actor from the show "Heroes"? Anyone spotted any others?

DragonSlayer
22-05-11, 20:00
I'm at the silver screen props store, i was looking around when i thought i saw a movie reference from star wars near the front desk, i thought i saw a C3PO lookalike next to the desk even though LA Noire predates Star Wars by several years, turns out on closer inspection that it was just a suit of armour holding it's in a similar fashion to C3PO.

BtoFu
22-05-11, 20:38
I hope the rest of the game isn't like that.

haha this is the whole game. I've yet to arrest anyone who I felt was guilty without a doubt. You pretty much guess your way through it. :mis:

igonge
22-05-11, 20:47
I finished the game about an hour ago... I saw that coming :p

Spong
22-05-11, 22:38
w00t! Just finished The Fallen Idol and got promoted. It's like watching a member of the Keystone Cops ascending through the ranks.

Trigger_happy
22-05-11, 23:50
Has anyone spotted the current hollywood faces scattered throughout the game e.g. the mindreading cop actor from the show "Heroes"? Anyone spotted any others?

The producers wife in one of the early cases is Daisy Wick from Bones-I recognised her immediately. And I'm sure I've seen some of the others recently.

stereopathic
23-05-11, 00:10

yeah, Matt Parkman caught my eye, too. so did Walternate from Fringe. i'm a child of the eighties so i recognized Chubby from Teen Wolf and Hans, the freaky kid next door from The 'Burbs (who's apparently now a balding middle-aged man). lots of other people look familiar to me, but i can't quite place them.

Spong
23-05-11, 01:26
I'm investigating the case of The Golden Butterfly (those bits at the start really need a cheesy voiceover LOL). I'm in the kitchen of the Moller household and I can say this much; it's definitely nothing to do with the lemon or the carrot on the chopping board :tmb:

Also, I really hate jazz.

DragonSlayer
23-05-11, 18:12
I'm investigating the case of The Golden Butterfly (those bits at the start really need a cheesy voiceover LOL). I'm in the kitchen of the Moller household and I can say this much; it's definitely nothing to do with the lemon or the carrot on the chopping board :tmb:

I'm starting that case now, i was going to start it last night but left it go too late and had to go to bed, wish i could live without sleep so i could play this game 24/7.

Alive_and_Funky
23-05-11, 18:31
I was so shocked when I recognised the guy who played Matt Parkman. Despite being aware of the facial animation technology, I didn't know that they had actually scanned people's faces for the characters. So, I was interviewing the victim's daughter, when all of a sudden Matt Parkman burst through the door! XD

As for other people, I spotted the guy who played Tim's brother in-law in Home Improvement and I also recognised the actor Brian Krause, who played Leo in Charmed.

It's funny that you mention that, because my sister was watching me playing the game and just after I picked up the carrot, I said to her, "I've found the murder weapon." XD

Spong
23-05-11, 18:49
Fascinating face-off for LA Noire on PS3 & 360. If it's TL for you, then DR, but it's a great read for nerdy geeks like me. If anyone wants to check the video and image comparisons mentioned in the article, just click the link at the bottom...

Face-Off: L.A. Noire

Produced by an off-shoot of the team that made The Getaway, it might be tempting to suggest that the PlayStation 3 is the natural home for L.A. Noire - that the developers were more au fait with the Sony platform, resulting in a tangibly better game. There are various reports of enhanced graphical effects, smoother frame-rates and of course the plain and simple fact that the PS3 version ships on one disc rather than three.

Five years in development, the final version of L.A. Noire appears to be using a variation of the same RAGE engine that underpinned Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption: certainly a number of graphical techniques carry over from the previous games into Team Bondi's epic. Both of those titles undoubtedly ran more smoothly on Xbox 360 with higher native resolutions - but things are different this time.

L.A. Noire addresses all of these deficiencies and it is easily the closest multi-platform open-world game that Rockstar has released to date. But it's also interesting to see how Team Bondi has taken a very different approach to its project in comparison to Rockstar's teams.

The environments were the focus in GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption: the emphasis was on building a narrative around a hugely complex and realistic game world. With L.A. Noire, Team Bondi pares back some of the world effects and rich detailing, but compensates by using a real-life city with authentic period detail, plus characters animated with a brand new motion capture technology: MotionScan, from Team Bondi's sister studio, Depth Analysis.

With the sheer amount of characters in the game, combined with that state-of-the-art MotionScan facial tech, it's safe to say that this game is very data-rich, almost filling a 25GB Blu-ray disc to the point of capacity. Just how well does the Microsoft platform compete in providing the same gameplay experience?

L.A. Noire's Rockstar predecessors all commanded a resolution advantage on Xbox 360, but the situation appears to have been redressed here: both console SKUs run at native 720p and both are using hardware-based 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing.

Two elements of visual quality that have brought about plenty of comment since the game launched concern the implementation of shadow and the use of screen-space ambient occlusion (SSAO). On the Xbox 360, shadows are dithered at the edges while the PS3 version uses the RSX's PCF (percentage closer filtering) technique, giving a much "harder" and more defined look.

Which of them is "better" is down to personal opinion really. The PS3's harder shadows often look a little strange because the intensity of light required to produce shadows that sharp is somewhat at odds with the muted ambient light that makes up much of L.A. Noire's ambience. Even broad daylight can only really produce shadows this strong in certain conditions. In this sense, the Xbox 360's dithered look should be more realistic - and indeed it is... at range. Unfortunately, on close-up shots, the dithering simply looks rather ugly and undoubtedly impacts the quality of the effect.

There's also the matter of how shadows are rendered. L.A. Noire uses a cascade of different resolutions - the further you go back "into" the screen, the lower the resolution of the shadows. The transition points are rather too close on both versions producing some ugly artifacts, but combined with the dithering the effect looks poorer on 360.

Screen space ambient occlusion, first used in Crysis but now a standard graphical effect on a great many games, is a useful tool in adding depth to the scene's nooks and crannies. The effect is definitely implemented in both Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 versions of L.A. Noire but to somewhat different effect. The PS3 game seems to have a larger occlusion radius, resulting in a significant over-darkening effect while in many scenes the 360 version is barely noticeable (but it is definitely there).

The net result of this is that SSAO is a subtle addition to the scene on 360, but is really heavy on PS3 - this is perhaps OK at night-time where the scene will benefit from a much darker look, but in broad daylight, the effect itself and the subsequent artifacting sometimes looks distracting, overly "dirty" and somewhat unrealistic. You can't help but feel that a halfway house approach between the Xbox 360 and PS3 implementations would have produced a more pleasing look.

One of the most noteworthy criticisms we've seen of L.A. Noire is that there are some serious frame-rate issues on the Xbox 360 version of the game, while the PlayStation 3 release is significantly smoother, in contrast to the previous Rockstar RAGE open-world titles.

It's fair to say there are performance issues in both releases, but there remains an undeniable perception that the PS3 game holds up better under stress. To test this out we carried out two different analyses: first, we compared the game running identical video, with an emphasis on combining the high polygon characters with resource-intensive exterior scenes. In the second test we compared gameplay from the same sections of the game.

There are several similarities in the way the game performs that seem to all but confirm that L.A. Noire uses an offshoot of the same RAGE engine that powered GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption. The PlayStation 3 version of the game runs with v-sync, while the Xbox version has a small amount of tearing right at the top of the screen. The tearing is essentially unnoticeable and on many screens it would be tucked into the overscan area anyway. Regardless, this odd performance profile is exactly the same as GTA IV. However, Rockstar North's 360 code ran with an unlocked frame-rate while it is clear that L.A. Noire is capped at 30FPS on both platforms.

What we see is that engine performance is mostly like-for-like, but when performance drops, 360 does seem to come off worse. It may well be that the RAGE engine is triple-buffered on PS3 (effectively keeping a frame in reserve if engine performance dips), while the 360 version is double-buffered - displaying one image while drawing the next. If a frame takes too long to render, the engine effectively stalls until the next screen refresh.

The very first clip in the analysis seems to demonstrate quite clearly that in areas of sustained stress on the engine, the Xbox 360 version drops to 20FPS, while the PS3 code pumps out more frames, resulting in a smoother image. If this were to carry forward into gameplay, the result would much more noticeable as visual feedback to controller input would be significantly laggier on 360 compared to the PS3 game.

Once again, the first clip in the video throws up some curious results. We see that both versions suffer from some serious dips in performance, and it's interesting to note that physics-based actions (such as a breaking window caused by gunfire) seem to cause the 360 game some issues. On top of that, once again we see situations where frame-rate drops on PS3 are magnified on 360 - for example, in the on-foot chase clip just over a minute into the video.

We do see situations where the Xbox 360 version runs smoother than its PS3 counterpart, but this may well be down to the context of the gameplay at that moment (cars and pedestrians on-screen at that moment, for example). There's little in the way of evidence for any scenario which sees 360 consistently outperform PS3.

In terms of other elements of engine performance, it's fair to say that streaming of assets seems to be something of a mixed bag. We basically gave up comparing texture quality across the two versions because at any given point we can see higher resolutions on one platform compared to the other, or we see a mish-mash of different quality levels - higher resolution environmental textures on one version, but lower quality decals.

If we had to make a choice it seems that the PS3 version is perhaps more robust, but there's not really much in it. Installing L.A. Noire to the Xbox 360 HDD doesn't appear to make a whole lot of difference either, aside from the usual advantages in doing so: reducing noise and wear and tear on the optical drive.

The overall feeling you get from the game is that the assets are almost certainly like-for-like but it's difficult to shake the feeling that there are bugs in the engine that are stopping the game from achieving its full visual potential. At the time of writing a new patch has appeared that is said to address some bugs, but we have been hard-pressed to find any tangible difference in this regard as of yet.

In addition to the streaming performance, we occasionally see some differences in draw distance too. It's not exactly a regular occurrence, and in terms of regular gameplay you will struggle to notice the difference, but each time we have seen it, it appears to be the Xbox 360 game that is affected, either by missing objects in the far background or else with lower LOD models. However, once again it should be stressed that this only really comes to light in direct A to B comparisons - during the run of play it's not a massive issue and it's hard to imagine that it would affect your enjoyment of the game.

Also far less impactful than you would imagine is the fact that the Xbox 360 version of L.A. Noire sits on three DVDs while the PlayStation 3 release occupies just the one single-layer Blu-ray disc. A quick look at the disc structure of the game reveals that the vast majority of the space is being used for in-game assets: across all three discs, only around 900MB of data is actually allocated for movies (based on what the filenames are telling us, at least). This seems to be identical to what we see on the PS3 Blu-ray disc too.

So what accounts for this colossal amount of data? Does L.A. Noire really need three discs? The answer is an unequivocal "yes". In fact, when you compare the make-up of the PS3 BD to the Xbox 360 DVDs, it seems remarkable that Team Bondi only needed three of them!

First up, it's worth bearing in mind that the Xbox 360 version will be mirroring a lot of data across all three discs - the entire city and associated assets like vehicles, for starters. Where we see differences is in data for characters (Rockstar hired over 400 actors for L.A. Noire), along with case-specific environments and the hours upon hours of voice data. In all, if you factor out the duplicate content between discs, Xbox 360 L.A. Noire takes up 13.2GB of space in all, compared to an equivalent of 22.9GB of game data on the PS3 version.

Direct comparison of the files between the 360 and PlayStation discs throws up some interesting factoids: elements such as the movies, generic audio and the motion capture data appear to be effectively identical between both systems, taking up the same amount of space. However, on the "cases" data for example, we see an enormous difference - the PS3 occupies a mammoth 14.3GB of data in one single file, while the 360 uses just 5.48GB spread across the three discs in a number of different files.

While there may be any number of explanations the most obvious would be that Team Bondi needed to do a lot more work to fit the 360 version onto three DVDs than we might have anticipated. Bearing in mind that game content is effectively identical, it suggests that the programmers had to implement a computationally more expensive compression scheme on Xbox 360 to make the game fit - and on-the-fly decompression of these assets may have performance implications.

The question of whether three discs impacts the game experience can be answered fairly easily. Similar to Final Fantasy XIII, the game is linear in nature, so on your first playthrough you swap discs twice and that's it - short of a couple of short trips from the couch, you're not going to be too concerned. For the record, we finished disc one in just over four hours while disc two lasted significantly longer at just over seven (your mileage may vary).

However, the game also allows you to go back and tackle individual cases again once you've completed them, in the hope of getting a better rank: obviously if you're switching between a range of different cases, it's much easier to move between them on PlayStation 3.

Going back and taking on the cases again is a worthwhile pursuit. It's possible to finish off investigations without pursuing entire lines of enquiry based on single clues, so the chances are that there's a fair bit of gameplay (and perhaps even action sequences) you might have missed. A typical case mid-game takes around 40 minutes to complete, so it's not as if you're going to be jockeying discs left, right and centre - but the fact that 360 owners have to swap over even if all three are installed to HDD is a bit of a pain.

On a more general level, developers have got used to developing to a single DVD's worth of space for cross-platform games projects and all too often the mammoth amount of extra space available on the PlayStation 3 Blu-ray drive is woefully under-utilised, if it is used at all. L.A. Noire is one of the few multi-platform games that makes use of that space, and it is perhaps a sign of the times - that the Xbox 360's DVD drive is now becoming a limiting factor for those developers and publishers operating with very large budgets and ambitious, content-heavy game concepts. Bearing in mind that L.A. Noire almost fills up an entire single-layer BD, and that the Xbox 360 version has to mirror a lot of common data over its three discs, it's something of a marvel that Team Bondi managed to get the game to fit at all. That they have done so seemingly without sacrificing game content is quite remarkable.

In the final analysis, L.A. Noire on PlayStation 3 is the one to get. It's smoother, it seems to have fewer streaming bugs, and of course there's no disc swapping. However, factoring in the enormity of the game, it's a credit to Team Bondi that the Xbox 360 version is as close as it is, and so long as you're aware of the gameplay issues and annoyances, it's a great buy regardless of the console you own.

From Digital Foundry (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-la-noire-face-off)

That's a win for the PS3 version then (for the fanboys :p). But an interesting question is thrown up in the amount of space the game requires on each console (when taking the mirroring into account on 360).

Survival
23-05-11, 19:39
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20110518-8cc03.png
:D

DragonSlayer
23-05-11, 20:17
http://v.cdn.cad-comic.com/comics/cad-20110518-8cc03.png
:D

:vlol: i like the look on his face when he is running over the civilians.

Trigger_happy
24-05-11, 16:09
I just finished The Quarter moon murders, and it was amazing mission! Perfect! The clues, the landmarks, the settings and suspense. And the final location was beautifully staged. The atmosphere was terrifying, and the chase was perfectly set up. I loved every minute of it! Team Bondi can definitely set up a perfectly pitched story and they did it amazingly! I know I'm gushing, but it was definitely one of the best set pieces I've probably ever played.

Catracoth
25-05-11, 02:39
I just beat the game. Goddamn the ending.

BtoFu
25-05-11, 02:59
I think it's about time we all agreed that Cole is a bloody awful lead character. :tmb: :tmb::tmb:

Catracoth
25-05-11, 03:06
I disagree strongly.

BtoFu
25-05-11, 03:25
You mean you wouldn't rather play as Bob Hoskins finding dead cartoon characters all the over the place and hitting the bottle?

DLC it Rawkstars cause that's the only way I'm keeping this game.

SoupCard
25-05-11, 03:58
I think it's about time we all agreed that Cole is a bloody awful lead character. :tmb: :tmb::tmb:

SPOILERS

I sort of agree. I liked him, but he never got very complex. I mean, there is the whole flash back thing to when he was in the war, showing how he strives to lead, even though his unit didn't exactly respect him.

I'm not sure if anyone here has watched Mad Men, but I feel like Team Bondi took a few notes from Don Draper (there's even like 10 actors from Mad Men in the game). In fact when I saw how the story wasn't focusing on Cole's family, and it showed him visiting the club to see the German girl multiple times, I actually predicted him cheating on his wife. But IMO they didn't do a great job of making us understand his motives behind it. He never shows really any sign of regret towards it, and right as everyone loses respect for him we switch characters. Then it's finally revealed that he caused his unit to kill a bunch of women, children, and wounded soldiers, before we can see any kind of remorse from Cole, he's killed off. Hell, the flamer thrower guy says it was an honor to serve Kelso, never mentions Cole. All throughout the ending Cole just comes off as a dick, and never has a chance to redeem himself.

Which is where Team Bondi failed IMO. With Don Draper, you can see the pain he feels when reminiscing about the war. He cheats on his wife out of loneliness, depression, or simply because he wants to have sex. With Cole, I really have no idea why he did it. Draper you can tell feels bad, and you get a sense of what his actions really did (breaking up the family). You never see Cole's children, and only see his wife two times. There's simply no emotional connection to their family. In a game that's so heavily focused on it's narrative, that's kind of a let down.

Good game though. Really enjoyed it.

Spong
25-05-11, 06:59

QFT! :tmb:
And there was me thinking Niko Bellic was as bad as it got. I'm starting to find Cole Felch (as I affectionately call him) incredibly annoying because of the game's fuzzy and illogical logic system.

Dingaling
25-05-11, 07:40
This game is really starting to piss me off. Part of it is my fault: I can't seem to go on with the game if I get a question wrong. The other parts? Unskippable cutscenes (I exclude the questioning), the stupid save system (yeah, yeah, it's to stop easy saving/reloading but **** off) and worst of all: broken game mechanics. Even worse: broken mechanics that make up your game.

SPOILERS

Seriously. I'm playing The Golden Butterfly. That little girl? I ask her about the jewellry. (Note, these are all paraphrases). "A ring, a watch, I don't take much notice of these things". Sure you don't, I know you know more than what you're letting on. Easy enough: Doubt. "HELL NO" is her response and I get the question wrong. Okay, reload. Lie + the missing jewellry - that somewhat makes sense. "**** YOU". Woah, woah, you're lying to me anyway.

Truth, it's the last resort. Not only was she not telling me the truth, but after selecting truth she manages to blurt out information on the jewellry.

What?

She lied to me yet it's "the truth"? That's not the first time either it's happened in the game. Then there's time where the "correct" answer reveals no information or completely does not answer the question. Also with The Golden Butterfly - that brooch? That shouldn't be evidence for the husband hitting the wife, the evidence should be: "Domestic Violence Statement" - the brooch is the outcome of it and should be part of separate evidence.

When the game works, boy does this game work, but when it's producing illogical answers to questions and the like it's completely and utterly useless.

Part of it is me but the other part is the game. *le sigh*

Spong
25-05-11, 09:35
^I'm right there with you. It's the nonsensical logic, that Team Bondi/Rockstar expect us to ditch our own common sense to conform to theirs and predict the absolutely unpredictable (like the perfect example you gave). To be honest, it's ruining a decent game. It's as frustrating as hell and, coupled with the annoying emphasis on getting questions correct, I completely understand why you find yourself quitting and reloading interrogations. I'm still doing it myself.

It seems that the game's only USP and plus point is the facial animation stuff, because the rest of it is starting to grate really badly. If it wasn't, I'd have finished the game by now, that's the simple fact which proves the game's quality to me. Thank Christ I didn't pay full price for it.

Survival
25-05-11, 09:46
Why the **** is this game forcing it´s insane logic to me?

EDIT: Oh I see I´m not the only one who noticed :rolleyes:

MangelinaJolie
25-05-11, 18:16
The complaints being posted are exactly why I don't think this is worthy of game of the year or anything above 8/10. It's interesting, it's fairly original, but it's severely flawed and monotonous.

Spoilers for Vice: In the case "The Black Caesar" when you talk to the man running the numbers operation, you have a dialogue option that attempts to tie him to the distribution of morphine. In the back of his room is a heavy stash of the drug that's easily for distribution and not simple possession. Unfortunately, if you call out the lie and try to use that as evidence, you get nothing but an incorrect answer. Instead, you have to use the word of another suspect in a different location that says the numbers man is involved. So you have to go to the other suspect first. In any case, what kind of ridiculous logic puts the word of a suspect over hard evidence?

paulwork
25-05-11, 20:52
So they're already talking about making it into a franchise. I definately see it will go the same way as "CSI: insert city name here" . The next one is bound to be set in New York. I definately would want to see "NY Noire - The Cagney & Lacey years":cln:

For some reason all I can remember from Cagney & Lacey is poor drippy Harvey being hen-pecked and wearing an apron while washing up the dishes for Mary-Beth Lacey :-) Oh, and the dilapidated state of those women's bathrooms down at the 14th precinct!

DragonSlayer
26-05-11, 17:37
This might be interesting to some on here, quoted from the latest issue of PlayGamer:

Although neither Team Bondi nor Rockstar has announced any plans for L.A. Noire DLC, Bondi boss Brendan McNamara has told IGN that some of the material the studio has had to drop from the main game may well resurface at a later date.

Due to size restraints (you can only fit so much on a disc!) at least two full desks were dropped - a single desk is a department in the police force full of related missions - and so it's highly likely that both Burglary and Bunko (basically the fraud squad) will be coming soon to many a PSN download list.
End quote

Sounds interesting but only time will tell if the other 2 desks are any good, that's if we ever get to play them.

Spong
26-05-11, 17:45
^Thanks for posting, but that's kind of old news. It's well known that stuff was cut from the release and that (in 360 terms) it could've been five, even six discs.

I played some more myself last night, I can't recall what case I'm on. It was a woman found murdered in a train yard and some guy had been caught doing the dirty to her dead body. I've got two guys in custody, I screwed up the interrogation of one of them because, as per usual, I apparently didn't abide by the game's ridiculous logic. It's getting real tiresome real fast.

Jami393
26-05-11, 20:34
I have just heard from BBC Watchdog that L.A. Noire is causing the PS3 and 360 to overheat when playing this game, and that Rockstar is saying that it isn't the games fault and Sony saying it isn't the firmware on the PS3. So if that is the case then what the hell is going on and what is causing the consoles to overheat? I would have to say it is the PS3 console and it can't run the game fully at the moment.

Linoshi Croft
26-05-11, 20:34
I watched that also , Watchdog said it was only on PS3 however.

Spong
26-05-11, 20:40
I watched that also , Watchdog said it was only on PS3 however.

This. Not to say that the 360 version isn't without its problems.

DragonSlayer
26-05-11, 21:36
I have just heard from BBC Watchdog that L.A. Noire is causing the PS3 and 360 to overheat when playing this game, and that Rockstar is saying that it isn't the games fault and Sony saying it isn't the firmware on the PS3. So if that is the case then what the hell is going on and what is causing the consoles to overheat? I would have to say it is the PS3 console and it can't run the game fully at the moment.

I haven't had any issues with LA Noire, i've been playing it continiously since it came out, the overheating issue is only affecting a small minority of PS3's and Xbox's.

Agent 47
26-05-11, 21:38

Speaking with regards to my own console i can say for fact i'm not experiencing any issues with the new firmware. Let me ask you though, if your console was fine BEFORE playing LA Noir but suddenly goes crazy AFTER/DURING playing it.............how is it not the games fault? heaven forbid the game MIGHT be causing issues for either console. Maybe the title wasn't optimisided property for the PS3 :eek: if that is the case then logic dictates the game is at fault. Plus it's a multiplat game and we all know which console is the favoured son with devs in that situation, but hey lets blame PS3 firmware.

Trigger_happy
26-05-11, 21:54
Watchdog have proven very unreliable when it comes to reporting on games consoles. I've had no problems with it at all, and I've got a 60GB fat PS3. Rockstar and Sony released a joint statement saying that neither the game, nor the firmware are crashing consoles, and its just the normal things crashing them. MS haven't commented yet.

Linoshi Croft
26-05-11, 22:05
It's got to be the game if it happening on both systems , rock star need to take responsibility.

jd84
26-05-11, 22:23
http://www.next-gen.biz/files/imagecache/article_content_360x270/la%20noire.jpg

"Cole Phelps, LAPD. What's causing PS3s to overheat, the firmware update or the game?"

"I don't know!"

LIE

"You know what, Missy? I think you're lying."

"What? This is preposterous! Can you prove it?"

CIRCLE

"Sorry ma'am, I guess I was wrong"

DOUBT

"You killed him, haven't you? You shot him twice in the face and dumped the weapon at a transfer station! Come on, answer me, you're wasting my time, lady!"

"W-what are you talking about? You, sir, clearly have issues!"

0/2 Correct Questions

paulwork
27-05-11, 07:19
I've not had my old-skool shiny curvy weighs-like-a-ton 40GB PS3 console overheat yet. But it is making a lot more whirring and clicking noises than with any other game disc I have played.

I think it is probably the "tired" laser, since it even gets stuck occassionally on PS1 TR games.

Spong
27-05-11, 16:40
EG just posted a piece about the actors involved in LA Noire, thought I'd steal it and post it here...

Who's Who in L.A. Noire

"Team Bondi takes us into new territory with its use of extraordinary facial performance capture," said Oli as he worked his way towards an 8/10 verdict, "This results in spooky facial animation which really does make it possible for actors to communicate more of their performances, using eyes, tics and expressions."

L.A. Noire represents an incredible step forward in performance capture, finally allowing the subtle facial movements and mannerisms of an actors' performance to make it through the development process intact.

While it's easy to marvel at what the technique can do, the realism of the characters means it's also easy to be distracted by the nagging tip-of-the-tongue feeling that you recognise some of them already. And you probably have.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/testtest4.jpg.jpg

Aaron Staton

In the game: Our priggish boy scout hero, Cole Phelps - a decorated war hero whose rise from beat cop to the LAPD's star detective forms the background of L.A. Noire's seedy yarn.

Previously: Hotshot advertising executive Ken Cosgrove on HBO hit Mad Men. One of the main characters on the cult show, it's Staton's biggest role to date; whether the high mainstream profile of L.A. Noire will lead to bigger parts remains to be seen.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalfinalmichaelmcgradyrusty.jpg.jpg

Michael McGrady

In the game: Finbar "Rusty" Galloway, Cole's gruff no-nonsense partner on the homicide desk. Fond of booze, not so found of dames, he and college boy Phelps eventually reach a grudging mutual respect.

Previously: Still patrolling the streets of LA, this time in the modern day, as Detective Salinger on the slow-burning US cop show Southland which enters its fourth season this year. McGrady is also a regular face on lots of other shows, putting in appearances on Lie to Me, Bones, Prison Break and CSI: Miami among others. He can also be seen in Terence Malick's star-studded arty war movie, The Thin Red Line.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finaladamharrington.jpg.jpg

Adam Harrington

In the game: Roy Earle, Cole's smarmy and sleazy partner when working the vice detail. Described as the movie star cop, he's clearly more in love with the perks of the job than seeing justice served.

Previously: Agent Walker in season five of serial killer thriller Dexter, who abandons his investigation into Dexter's crimes to work as a bodyguard for the family of another serial killer and this show doesn't make any sense any more.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalkeithszara.jpg.jpg

Keith Szarabajka

In the game: Slovenly and cynical Detective Herschel Biggs, who reluctantly partners with Phelps on the arson desk.

Previously: This gravel-voiced Polish-American actor has been a common sight on US TV going back to the 1980s. Today, he's probably best known as Daniel Holtz, the Bruno Brookes lookalike vampire hunter in Buffy spin-off Angel. He stole Angel's baby son and returned him as an irritating teenager after some dimension-hopping nonsense. Szarabajka can be seen in law enforcement mode as one of Jim Gordon's loyal cops in The Dark Knight.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalandyumberger.jpg.jpg

Andy Umberger

In the game: County coroner Dr Malcolm Carruthers, the man who prods corpses and waits patiently for Cole to ask "So...what have we got?"

Previously: Another medical role, though one involving far fewer naked dead women, Umberger features as Mad Men's resident psychiatrist Dr Malcolm Wayne. He's the guy who gets to listen to Don Draper's wife, Betty, as she catalogues the mental anguish of being married to an arrogant womanising ad man.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalerika.jpg.jpg

Erika Heynatz

In the game: Elsa Lichtmann, a seductive German nightclub singer. Sexy and teutonic, she's trouble waiting to happen...

Previously: An Australian model, singer and TV presenter, Heynatz is best known in her native land as the host of Australia's Next Top Model. If her accent impresses, that's probably because her family is Danish.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalgreggrunberg.jpg.jpg

Greg Grunberg

In the game: Hugo Moller, husband of the murder victim in the Golden Butterfly homicide case.

Previously: Lengthy TV stints as mind-reading lawman Matt Parkman in the increasingly ludicrous Heroes and CIA agent Eric Weiss in sexy femme-spy caper Alias. Most gamers will surely be more impressed by the fact that Grunberg also provided the voice of "Trooper 2" in Halo Reach.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finaldanroebuck.jpg.jpg

Daniel Roebuck

In the game: Mark Bishop, a grubby B-movie producer who crosses your path while working as a traffic detective.

Previously: Another veteran character actor, Roebuck first came to prominence opposite a pre-fame Keanu Reeves as a mentally disturbed teen who kills his girlfriend in the bleak 1986 drama, River's Edge. More recently he appeared on Glee, and also played Lost's hapless Leslie Arzt, a school teacher whose dynamite-assisted demise provided the show with one of its most memorable surprise exits.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalcarlagallo.jpg.jpg

Carla Gallo

In the game: Gloria Bishop, starlet wife of Mark Bishop, who finds herself mixed up in his shady dealings.

Previously: Lengthy stints on shows like Bones, Californication and Carnivale. Comedy super-producer Judd Apatow clearly enjoys debasing her, as her big screen roles include such unforgettable nameless cameos as "Period Blood Girl" from Superbad, "Gag Me Girl" from Forgetting Sarah Marshall and "Toe-Sucking Girl" from The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalfinalcourtneygains.jpg.jpg

Courtney Gains

In the game: Eli Rooney, a mucky little paedophile found lurking around a high school during the Golden Butterfly case.

Previously: Gains was one of the crew of the titular bomber in the plucky 1990 war film, Memphis Belle. His "oh, it's that guy" credentials come from a role even earlier than that – he's the obnoxious guy who almost wipes Marty McFly from existence by cutting in when George is dancing with Lorraine at the end of Back to the Future.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalbriankrause.jpg.jpg

Brian Krause

In the game: Clem Feeney, proprietor of the Just Picked late night fruit market.

Previously: The longest surviving male cast member of US witchy drama Charmed, clocking up 145 episodes as the guardian and mentor of the magical Halliwell sisters. You'll have to rewind all the back to 1991 for his other memorable role, when he appeared as the buff young buck shipwrecked with a barely clothed Milla Jovovich in schoolboy favourite Return to the Blue Lagoon.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finaljphnnoble.jpg.jpg

John Noble

In the game: Leland Monroe, a smug and wealthy property magnate who crosses swords with Phelps during his arson investigations.

Previously: A popular Australian actor, Noble is currently best known for his starring role on "don't mention The X-Files" paranormal TV show Fringe. Before that, he slobbered tomato juice down his chin and demanded sad hobbit songs as Denethor, the barking mad Steward of Gondor in Return of the King, Peter Jackson's final entry in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalkurtuller.jpg.jpg

Kurt Fuller

In the game: Richard Coombs, a shady used car salesman from the DLC traffic case, A Slip of the Tongue.

Previously: Another veteran supporting player, Fuller has specialised in oily yes-men, appearing as Rob Lowe's toadying henchman in Wayne's World and the mayor's chief butt-kisser in Ghostbusters II. More recently, he had a seven episode run on Supernatural as angelic bossy boots Zachariah.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalmattcorboy.jpg.jpg

Matt Corboy

In the game: Lars Taraldsen, another bereaved husband on the homicide beat, this time from The White Shoe Slaying.

Previously: Corboy is most familiar as Ray Carlson, the unpleasantly thuggish homophobic cop from gritty cop show The Shield. He'll next be seen with George Clooney and Beau Bridges in The Descendants, the latest film from Alexander "Sideways" Payne.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalmyraturley.jpg.jpg

Myra Turley

In the game: Barbara Lapenti, owner of the boarding house where homicide victim Antonia Maldonado stays in The Silk Stocking Murder.

Previously: Team Bondi dipped into the Mad Men cast yet again, as Turley is best known for playing Peggy's mother in the 1960s advertising drama. She can also be found playing Paul Walker's mum in Flags of Our Fathers, Clint Eastwood's film about the war in the Pacific.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalmichaelgladis.jpg.jpg

Michael Gladis

In the game: Dudley Lynch, a bartender who Cole meets early on, during his first traffic assignment. You may meet up with Lynch later, if you respond to the right street crime...

Previously: Another Mad Men alumni, Gladis plays far-out beatnik copywriter and sci-fi fan Paul Kinsey on the hit show.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finaljosephculp.jpg.jpg

Joseph Culp

In the game: Walter Robbins, the slightly sad liquor store owner from The Studio Secretary Murder.

Previously: The son of Robert Culp, the legendary American actor. Joe Culp had a short but important recurring turn in Mad Men as Don Draper's father, Archie Whitman, until a hoof to the face finished him off. Culp earned his cult credentials, and guaranteed a lifetime of convention autograph income, by hiding behind a metal mask as the evil Doctor Doom in the never-released 1994 Fantastic Four movie.

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles//a/1/3/6/1/8/2/3/finalfinalsteverankin.jpg.jpg

Steve Rankin

In the game: Lieutenant Archibald Colmyer, the rather cavalier head of the vice department.

Previously: Not a particularly famous face, but he does have the distinction of appearing in the award-winning movie L.A. Confidential, where he played the cop who puts the cuffs on Mickey Cohen, the real life Jewish gangster who also plays a pivotal role in L.A. Noire. How's that for full circle?

Trigger_happy
27-05-11, 16:57
I knew Carla Gallo was in it the minute her character opened her mouth!

Catracoth
28-05-11, 23:09
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712880/la-noire-easter-egg-the-case-of-the-toast-faced-man/

Mind blown.

jackali
28-05-11, 23:26
I knew Carla Gallo was in it the minute her character opened her mouth!

I recognised her from Bones.

Lara's Nemesis
29-05-11, 01:47
Enjoyable game but the flaws let it down a lot especially the ones in the major selling point of the game. i.e the interrogations.

Found the city pretty dull as well, not in the same league as Liberty City from GTA IV.

Would still rate it as a solid 7/10 tho.

Alive_and_Funky
29-05-11, 08:15
I finished L.A. Noire last night. I absolutely loved the game, although I must admit that [ENDING SPOILER] I was hoping the ending would involve something a bit more creative than just killing one of the characters off. I was hoping that they'd find some way to provide a somewhat more feelgood ending, [GRAND THEFT AUTO IV AND RED DEAD REDEMPTION SPOILERS] as the endings to Grand Theft Auto IV and Red Dead Redemption were hardly happy ones. Ending the whole thing on a light note would have impressed me more and it makes me wonder if all future games published by Rockstar are destined to have unhappy endings. [END OF ALL SPOILERS]

Roy Earle was my favourite character, by the way. He's so cool. :cool:

igonge
29-05-11, 08:49
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712880/la-noire-easter-egg-the-case-of-the-toast-faced-man/

Mind blown.

OMG :yik: That's awesome. How did someone see that? ha ha

Squibbly
29-05-11, 10:13
Started this game today. I quite like it so far. :D The facial animations are as good as people have said they are.

But damn it I hate jazz.

edit:

Er, I started it yesterday actually. I haven't went to bed yet and I got all confused. lol

jackali
29-05-11, 10:16
I have never been more annoyed with a game character blind-siding me about something.
I'm looking at you here Cole.

Spong
29-05-11, 12:18

Mind blown.

Cool. And aptly-timed for me because I'm literally at the start of that case, just got promoted to Vice :tmb:

Alex Fly
31-05-11, 12:07
The Rockstar Pass is now available to download on Xbox.com for 800 MS Points.

Details on this have been sketchy to say the least but not anymore. Should you decide to download The L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass you will get the following:

The Broderick Detective Suit (Available Now – 80 MSP)
The Sharpshooter Detective Suit (Available Now – 80 MSP)
The Badge Pursuit Challenge & Button Man Suit (Available Now – Comes with Naked City DLC)
The Naked City Vice Case (Available Now – 320 MSP)
A Slip Of The Tongue Traffic Case (Available Now – 320 MSP)
Nicholson Electroplating Arson Case (June 21)
Reefer Madness Vice Case (July 12)

The description says individual items will become available to download when released (we have marked these), so purchasing the pass now only means you will get these items when they are available.
More details here (http://www.shoptonews.net/2011/05/31/rockstar-pass-detailed-and-now-available-to-download/). :wve:

Sounds good ! :tmb:

igonge
31-05-11, 12:34
Not bad :cool:

Blackmoor
31-05-11, 21:35
Just started this game and liking it so far, but, they drive on the wrong side of the road! I swear I better not ever drive a car in the States, I'd be dead within two minutes if my performance here is anything to go by.

Catracoth
31-05-11, 22:42
L.A. Noire's Rockstar Pass Revealed

source: http://view.engage.xbox.com/lanoire_rockstarpass/ (http://view.engage.xbox.com/?j=fec11c7175620274&m=feca167070610c7c&ls=fe581d747066007a751c&l=feb81c7877610d7a&s=fe2617767c640c75711671&jb=ff3215727061&ju=fe6615757163007c7416&uid=13308673&tid=6768&r=0)

The L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass is your chance to get seven great add-ons for one low price: just 800 Microsoft® Points.* Expand your beat with four new cases, a new Challenge, and two new Detective Suits, all delivered to you via the in-game store as soon as they're released.**

*Valid only on Xbox LIVE® Marketplace from May 31st to June 14th. L.A. Noire game disc (sold separately) required to play add-on content.

**L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass pack includes the listed game content at a discounted rate over individual purchases. After purchasing the L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass, all content should be accessed through the L.A. Noire in-game store. All of the game content included in the L.A. Noire Rockstar Pass is also available for sale as individual purchases on Xbox LIVE Marketplace. Do not download this content from Xbox LIVE Marketplace to avoid being charged twice.

Not really worth it for those who already have some of the exclusives from pre-ordering, in my opinion. I already have The Naked City and The Badge Pursuit Challenge, so I'm really paying 800 Microsoft Points for 5/7 pieces of DLC. With this being said, I think the price ought to be reduced. But still, I should get it before the price goes up.

Carbonek_0051
31-05-11, 22:49
Already posted a page back Mason. :p

Catracoth
31-05-11, 23:12
How could I have missed Alex Fly and her over-the-top journalism? :p
I'm glad to see everything priced individually. :)

Lara's Nemesis
01-06-11, 00:49
I don't have any DLC so I paid the 800pts, bit annoying that all the stuff was already on the disk tho. :mad: Took about 1 second to download.

Catracoth
01-06-11, 01:01
That would explain why my download finished in a millisecond.

Lara's Nemesis
01-06-11, 01:07
That would explain why my download finished in a millisecond.

Damn, your internet is faster than mine. :p

My bad, the DLC isn't on the disk after all. :o

You have to download everything sperately. As far as the new cases go you can only get the 2 pre order ones atm. I now also own DLC that hasn't been released yet.:D

Lara's Nemesis
03-06-11, 02:54
Got all the achievements for the game now and the 2 DLC cases. Part of me thinks that this Rockstar pass thing is a way of slowing down the second hand market for the game.

It doesn't really have any replay value apart from getting the 5 star cases, I've now got to wait to the middle of July to complete the content I've paid for. Would have definetely traded it in otherwise, maybe I am just being paranoid. :D

Spong
03-06-11, 03:23
Part of me thinks that this Rockstar pass thing is a way of slowing down the second hand market for the game.

How? :confused:
Everyone has to buy it, whether they buy the game new or not. And the content that the pass grants access to will all ultimately be available for anyone to buy separately anyway.

Anyway, I bought the pass. God alone knows when I'm gonna bother playing the extra cases I DL'd. I've had the game two weeks and I've still yet to finish it. I like it, I really do, despite how massively cliché it all is, but the whole thing, and I really mean the whole thing, is ruined by the awful interviews/interrogations.