PDA

View Full Version : Used vs New Games

irishhips
02-08-10, 16:35
I just the last two harry potter games for PS3, they were 30 together and they were used....When I got home, I check the discs...they like brand new! This got got me thinking...is worth spending 40 to 50 for new game? I mean, in few months time you see the same for a lot less...but there is catch, they might be scratched or no box but if you see a rare game on the self, i would but it anyway. I was lucky that the PS3 was in excellent condition. So what you agree on Used or new games?

RockSteady101
02-08-10, 16:37
I just the last two harry potter games for PS3, they were €30 together and they were used....When I got home, I check the discs...they like brand new! This got got me thinking...is worth spending €40 to €50 for new game? I mean, in few months time you see the same for a lot less...but there is catch, they might be scratched or no box but if you see a rare game on the self, i would but it anyway. I was lucky that the PS3 was in excellent condition. So what you agree on Used or new games?

Well tbh this is a pointless arguement, if you want the game badly you tend to buy it new AROUND RELEASE DATE, but if someone mentions a game not recently released I'd personally look for it in USED - I can't see people going "Oh, that game from last year sounds good, I'll buy it new"

Carbonek_0051
02-08-10, 16:38
I usually buy my games new, unless they only have used copies. I've had bad luck with used games, and I prefer to have the original cases than none at all.

Catracoth
02-08-10, 16:39
I always buy my games used (unless I'm getting them at their release date) so that way I can return them within the week if I don't like it.

Mikky
02-08-10, 16:42
Well, as a collector, I'm used to buying pre-owned games, just as long as they're not too damaged. :p But it is nice to buy new ones, they're all shiny and new! :D

Alive_and_Funky
02-08-10, 16:42
I usually buy my games new, unless they only have used copies. I've had bad luck with used games, and I prefer to have the original cases than none at all.
More or less the same here. Also, if you buy a game pre-owned the publisher and developer don't actually profit from it (aside from when it was originally sold), which doesn't really seem right in my view. The pre-owned market is certainly good for finding games from a few years ago though.

Catracoth
02-08-10, 16:48
Well, as a collector, I'm used to buying pre-owned games, just as long as they're not too damaged. :p But it is nice to buy new ones, they're all shiny and new! :D

Don't collectors usually buy things new and the collector's editions of games...?

Carbonek_0051
02-08-10, 16:51
More or less the same here. Also, if you buy a game pre-owned the publisher and developer don't actually profit from it (aside from when it was originally sold), which doesn't really seem right in my view. The pre-owned market is certainly good for finding games from a few years ago though.
Which is another reason I don't like buying things used. Like I said, I only buy them used when it's my only option.

o0Crofty0o
02-08-10, 16:55
I buymy games new. One time i didn't and bought a used game via ebay (from a user that had around 400+ good ratings and only 2 bad ones) but the dvd didn't work in the ps2 and later i noticed that he just glued it with normal wet- glue. :pi:

from that point i decided to buy them new xD

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 16:57
Don't collectors usually buy things new and the collector's editions of games...?

If you are collecting things that were released a long time ago, that is easier said than done :p

Catracoth
02-08-10, 16:57
I don't understand all the hate for used games :confused:. Do people feel like they're superior to other people because they buy their games brand new or something?

ultima espio
02-08-10, 16:58
I only buy used ones as a last resort. The last preowned game I bought was FFX, and the disc for that is really scratched.

uzivatel
02-08-10, 16:58
I usually buy new, Id rather the devs get at least some of the money I am paying. if I do buy used games, I prefer C2C model without middleman.

That said, I have hard time finding Dead Rising 1 new around here. :hea:

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 16:59
I always buy a game used when they are selling them that way. I've never had a bad experience with a used game and I very rarely buy games at release unless it's from a series that I'm a really big fanboy of. Preowned games are the logical option for me.

Carbonek_0051
I don't understand all the hate for used games :confused:. Do people feel like they're superior to other people because they buy their games brand new or something?

What gave you that idea?

Catracoth
I always buy a game used when they are selling them that way. I've never had a bad experience with a used game and I very rarely buy games at release unless it's from a series that I'm a really big fanboy of. Preowned games are the logical option for me.

I couldn't agree more.

What gave you that idea?

The way some people act over new v. used games. I see it a lot amongst my friends. Some of them will never even touch a used game and I don't understand it, even if the used copy is significantly cheaper and the disc is in great condition.

laralover_07
02-08-10, 17:01
I'm all for used games. You get the game cheaper than retail, and the games industry still gets the money from the original purchase. Score.

Mind you, you have to watch out to make sure what quality the disk is in, but in any case, WINWIN.

Carbonek_0051
02-08-10, 17:04
The way some people act over new v. used games. I see it a lot amongst my friends. Some of them will never even touch a used game and I don't understand it, even if the used copy is significantly cheaper and the disc is in great condition.

Well from all the posts I've seen in this thread no one has acted "superior", everyone's given a pretty good reason as to why they don't buy used games or use it as a last resort. :)

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 17:05
I'm all for used games. You get the game cheaper than retail, and the games industry still gets the money from the original purchase. Score.

Mind you, you have to watch out to make sure what quality the disk is in, but in any case, WINWIN.

In my experience, game shops won't even accept games that are in poor condition when you try to trade them in.

Carbonek_0051
02-08-10, 17:06
In my experience, game shops won't even accept games that are in poor condition when you try to trade them in.

That was only the case at a store called F.Y.E. here, at Gamestop they'll accept games in poor condition.

Catracoth
02-08-10, 17:06
Well from all the posts I've seen in this thread no one has acted "superior", everyone's given a pretty good reason as to why they don't buy used games or use it as a last resort. :)

That comment wasn't regarding the posts in the thread, hence my explanation when you questioned me :).

Indeed.

Legend of Lara
02-08-10, 17:07
I buy my games new whenever possible. But if that option isn't available, I'm fine with going pre-owned.

laralover_07
02-08-10, 17:10

Most don't, but if the assistant at the counter hasn't had a ciggy in three hours or whatever, scratched disks can slip through. I once bought a game pre-owned, can't remember what it was, and it skipped and jumped because of scratches. I took it back and they were just like.. 'Well we can put it in this disk cleaner machine if you want.. but..' It played fine after that, but I've been a bit wary since.

Catracoth
02-08-10, 17:11
Considering that a large amount of people who state that they always buy new games and never said why, may I ask why?

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 17:12
Most don't, but if the assistant at the counter hasn't had a ciggy in three hours or whatever, scratched disks can slip through. I once bought a game pre-owned, can't remember what it was, and it skipped and jumped because of scratches. I took it back and they were just like.. 'Well we can put it in this disk cleaner machine if you want.. but..' It played fine after that, but I've been a bit wary since.

Trufax. But I think most good game shops have a better warranty for used games than new ones, so you're covered anyway.

irishhips
02-08-10, 17:14
Gamestop sometimes give you game protection...

Catracoth
02-08-10, 17:16
Gamestop sometimes give you game protection...

Yeah, for like, a quarter. What's the catch? :rolleyes: :p

xXhayleyroxXx
02-08-10, 17:17
I always buy used games :tmb: cheaper and just as good as new ones.

irishhips
02-08-10, 17:18
Yeah, for like, a quarter. What's the catch? :rolleyes: :pwell, it's 3...they'll replace it if it get broken or badly scratched

Catracoth
02-08-10, 17:20
I never got that for any of my games before. When I go pick up Mafia II and Test Drive Unlimited, I'll be sure to inquire about it - I wonder if there are any strings attached.

Paddy
02-08-10, 17:21
I usually get brand new unless its impossible to find new or if its rare.
Lately Ive bought preowned games and most cds were in great shape.

da tomb raider!
02-08-10, 18:07
I prefer to buy my games brand new. That way, developers and publishers make some profit out of it. I don't have to worry about the disc being scratched or the manual reeking of cigarette smoke or having coffee stains all over it, either.

Of course, since I play more retro games than modern games, I'm usually forced to buy most of my games pre-owned. It's not so bad, though. The old, used games that I buy tend to have been done by companies which don't exist anymore, so I don't have to worry about them missing out on any money. And as for the scratched discs, cigarette smoke and coffee stains, I've gotten used to it.

lara c. fan
02-08-10, 18:09
I only buy used if I don't have the money for a new copy.

Camera Obscura
02-08-10, 19:29
Depends on the circumstance I suppose. Very early during the PS2 boom, I would always buy my games NEW. I definitely didn't like the ideas of purchasing games used, especially since my first used game (Marvel vs. Capcom 2) refused to play on my ps2 so I had to travel to the other end of Houston just to get my $60 back. :hea:

However, when I became obsessed with Fatal Frame and found out that I could only find the game used and only online, I decided there was no other alternative. Surprisingly, the instructional booklet was intact with very minor tears and the disk looked and played like new! Then I realized used games may not be so bad after all and it definitely saves you $.

Today, there is no way in hell I would ever purchase a game NEW (only exception was Arkham Asylume). $60+ just isn't worth it for mediocre games this generation. So whenever I can I purchase a game (PS2/PS3) used, and for the most part they are always in very affordable, in good condition, and even come with a case and instructional booklet. Out of 60+ games, half are probably used and even then only 3 are missing case/booklet, and no game has ever given me trouble playing. :D

Lara's Nemesis
02-08-10, 19:33
If it is a game I am desperate for then I will buy it new on release date. I've bought quite a lot of used as well tho.

I think only one of the used games was unplayable, wasn't really a big problem as I took it back to the store and it was replaced.

TRexbait
02-08-10, 21:15
A store near me sells used games, and their standards for accepting these games is that they have to be scratch-less and have the box in good condition. They might as well be new. I usually buy them used, unless it's a game I really want near its release date

xXhayleyroxXx
02-08-10, 21:19
A store near me sells used games, and their standards for accepting these games is that they have to be scratch-less and have the box in good condition. They might as well be new. I usually buy them used, unless it's a game I really want near its release date

:tmb: yeah thats exactly what I do. The prices are really good for what youre buying I find.

larson n natla
02-08-10, 21:33
I shop at game station for my games I rarely buy new games, for say christmas or my birthday I will request some but games I buy myself are usually 'preowned' they are usually under 30 and sometimes you can get 2 new games for 20 I have my sights on Saints Row 2 and Far Cry 2 but I really want a Dragon Ball game for the xbox 360 I enjoyed the Raging Blast demo so I may get that 'Preowned.'

The best thing is that I save them to the hard drive of my 360 and they run really smooth with no crashing or problems.

:jmp:

trlestew
02-08-10, 21:36
I buy all my games used unless the price differnce between new and used are like $5, or I really want to buy a game near release date (rare).

Legend of Lara
02-08-10, 21:38
I really want a Dragon Ball game for the xbox 360 I enjoyed the Raging Blast demo so I may get that 'Preowned.'

I played the demo for that and I thought it was absolutely awful. Maybe I got a bit too used to Budokai Tenkaichi's controls. D:

Catracoth
02-08-10, 21:44
Considering that a large amount of people who state that they always buy new games and never said why, may I ask why?

Anyone...?

voltz
02-08-10, 21:46
I'm usually buying most games at $25-30 or less so it's given me quite the collection. Gotta phrase used traders and dealers. :p

Tonyrobinson
02-08-10, 21:48
I always get mine used unless I plan on getting them on release or really want a copy I can't find anywhere. :D

Fallen.Angel
02-08-10, 21:50
I only buy new games if it's a game I REALLY want that just came out, or for example, if the game that I'm looking for is used and is only $5 cheaper, THEN I'll buy it new. I think that is absurd how some game shops do that, like the GameStop by me. All used games are only $5 cheaper. Ugh. Like Final Fantasy XIII, and the boxes are absolutely in terrible shape, it's so much of a better deal buying them new.

xXhayleyroxXx
Anyone...?

Id like to know why as well :/

lara c. fan
Anyone...?

Support the company that made the game, perhaps?

larson n natla
02-08-10, 21:52
I played the demo for that and I thought it was absolutely awful. Maybe I got a bit too used to Budokai Tenkaichi's controls. D:

Oh really, I played a Dragon Ball game on the Ps2 and put a lot of hours and unlocked every character really enjoyed it so I may pick up Budokai Tenkaichi thanks for the advice friend.

:tmb:

Legend of Lara
02-08-10, 22:00
Oh really, I played a Dragon Ball game on the Ps2 and put a lot of hours and unlocked every character really enjoyed it so I may pick up Budokai Tenkaichi thanks for the advice friend.

:tmb:

I'd recommend Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or 3. BT2 has a much better story mode, but BT3 has more characters.

voltz
02-08-10, 22:06
Support the company that made the game, perhaps?

Meh, people just like to boast.

If the industry wants them to float on that's fine by me, not my problem to worry about.

ClankDaxter
02-08-10, 22:06
I like to buy them Brand new! Even though I don't mind them used (my parents do, wich is why I don't buy them used)... My luck is that I'm not a gaming maniac and only buy great gaming experiences. If they are not as good as I like them I usually wait a lot before I buy them. Wich is good because since they are not as Epic games when I finally decide to buy them (since there are no current great games I want to buy) the time that has passed has been enough for the prices to go down. For example I've found ModNationRacers a very good game. But I'm going to wait for it to go down the price and then I'll buy it. For now, I'll buy games like inFamous, Final Fantasy, Bioshock, etc. Little Big Planet 2 aswell. I never bought the first game! I borrowed it from my friend... We played it together it was soo much fun... Now with LBP2 I'm really getting it, rather then wait for the price to go down or to borrow it from a friend

I buy them new because my mother says she doesn't trustes shops that sell Used Games. She says they come with scratches and might bring viruses with them (if that was even possible), even after I told her that if the game doesn't works I can just go to the shop give the game show the ticket and they give me a brand new copy.
TBH, I'm a bit cocky aswell and always like the games Brand New since I feel like they really belong to me and no-one else has already played with that disk!

freeze10108
02-08-10, 22:10
I tend to buy games new, mostly because used games for some reason feel "dirty" in my hands, probably due to my lack of knowledge about where they came from and where they've been (it's psychological and irrational, I know, but I just can't seem to get over it). It's one of those things for me where I like knowing what the game (disc/cart) has been through. Some of the games I want don't have a file deletion option on them either, so I wouldn't be able to start a new game.

I don't however, have any qualms about buying a used game if it's my only option, but I still tend to buy games new, even if they're a lot more expensive, due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Also, buying new so the developer gets money is not a reason for me buying new, as they've really already been paid by the stores for all the copies they have, and once something's been physically bought, it should be the owner's right to be able to resell it.

Legend of Lara
02-08-10, 22:15
Message to everyone who trades in DS games: Always delete your game data first. Seriously.

larson n natla
02-08-10, 22:15
I'd recommend Budokai Tenkaichi 2 or 3. BT2 has a much better story mode, but BT3 has more characters.

:off::off:
Thanks a bunch I think I'll go for 2 first as long as it has Goku and Vegeta I am set :D

Just to reiterate I recommend used games over new for price

:)

Catracoth
02-08-10, 22:17
Message to everyone who trades in DS games: Always delete your game data first. Seriously.

Lord knows why they didn't make it so the game saved to the DS instead.

ajrich17901
02-08-10, 22:53
I hardly ever buy games used anymore, why spend only $5 less when you can just buy the game brand new lmao. Plus I like the fact most of the profit is going to the game company, when you buy stuff used you just filling the stores pockets. >.> Gamestop hates me lol

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 23:07
Lord knows why they didn't make it so the game saved to the DS instead.

Wait . . . It doesn't 0_0

You learn something new every day . . .

voltz
02-08-10, 23:08
I hardly ever buy games used anymore, why spend only $5 less when you can just buy the game brand new lmao. Plus I like the fact most of the profit is going to the game company, when you buy stuff used you just filling the stores pockets. >.> Gamestop hates me lol

You buy all your used games from gamestop!?? LOL!!!

Catracoth
02-08-10, 23:08
why spend only $5 less when you can just buy the game brand new lmao.

That's not always the scenario - I've bought several games used in the past that were about $12 less than a new copy.

voltz
02-08-10, 23:10
That $12 could go to any used game either by trader or ebay. You should be looking for better deals then that.

ajrich17901
02-08-10, 23:10
You buy all your used games from gamestop!?? LOL!!!

Uh no, I always buy my games NEW. That's why they don't like me, I even told the Manager off when he kept trying to push used stuff onto me, he didn't like it when my speech made 4 people put back there used games and buy the games new lmao.

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 23:11

Even if that was true it's $5 you can spend on something else. The fact that a game is used has absolutely no implications on what you get out of it, so why pay more for the same thing? To me it's just two of the same game on a shelf, one with a lower price tag. Easy choice.

Catracoth
That $12 could go to any used game either by trader or ebay. You should be looking for better deals then that.

...:confused:

ajrich17901
Even if that was true it's $5 you can spend on something else. The fact that a game is used has absolutely no implications on what you get out of it, so why pay more for the same thing? To me it's just two of the same game on a shelf, one with a lower price tag. Easy choice.

Maybe for you, but I prefer all my stuff new unless the price is at least $20 off used. I'm not gonna sweat $5 when I don't buy much to begin with.

voltz
02-08-10, 23:14
Uh no, I always buy my games NEW. That's why they don't like me, I even told the Manager off when he kept trying to push used stuff onto me, he didn't like it when my speech made 4 people put back there used games and buy the games new lmao.

You do realize that they make most of their profits on the used titles. It's a much lesser percent they have to send back to the publisher this way and obviously the guy you were talking to was being a real jerk about it worrying about whatever commission he's getting.

Have you ever sold a used game with lots of content missing, codes, mini-guides, etc? If you miss out on a lot of that, then you can bet the difference is going to be worth a lot more then just a mere $5.

...:confused:

Many used games are $12. if you're gonna go that route, quit worrying about how much they make on the other end and get yourself a good deal.

Minty Mouth
02-08-10, 23:23
Have you ever sold a used game with lots of content missing, codes, mini-guides, etc? If you miss out on a lot of that, then you can bet the difference is going to be worth a lot more then just a mere $5.

I have neither sold a game to a game shop with anything missing, nor bought a used game from a shop with anything missing. If you're a smart buyer you don't have to face those problems.

Catracoth
02-08-10, 23:26
Many used games are $12.

Yeah, either PS2 games or games that have been out for a long time. When I'm looking at used games, they're usually between $5 and $12 less than a new copy - less of a discount depending on how new the game is - and I'm very frugal, so I'll always go for the deal. :)

if you're gonna go that route, quit worrying about how much they make on the other end and get yourself a good deal.

I never complained about how much money the game companies are making, so this doesn't apply to me. ;)

michaeldt
02-08-10, 23:43
I like to buy my games used ;) although on special occasions I buy them brand new, like pre-ordering a game or if the shop just doesn't have any used copies

igonge
03-08-10, 01:26
I buy most of my games used unless I'm buying a game on or around it's release date then I get it new.

lunavixen
03-08-10, 10:23
well mostly, i'm a collecotr, i have quite a few collectors editions, but the term collector can be used more widely to include people who collect things (such as video games or books)
I buymy games new. One time i didn't and bought a used game via ebay (from a user that had around 400+ good ratings and only 2 bad ones) but the dvd didn't work in the ps2 and later i noticed that he just glued it with normal wet- glue. :pi:

from that point i decided to buy them new xDbut that's ebay, the user who duped you was dishonest, not all of them are like it, i've bought a fair few games off ebay and i haven't had a single issue with them

If you are collecting things that were released a long time ago, that is easier said than done :p
this much is true

Saphyre
03-08-10, 10:31
I just don't get why people think "if I buy it new then the profit will go to the games company" It might sound selfish but I don't give a damn who the money is going to, as long as I get a good deal on a game. Despite that most of my games are new.

SkyPuppy
03-08-10, 10:36
i usually buy all my games new, unless there's a rare game i can't find anywhere else and i see it used... but it has to have the original artwork cover and instruction manual for me to even consider getting it. i mean, if the case is messed up or anything, then i know i can always easily replace that.

uzivatel
03-08-10, 11:05
I just don't get why people think "if I buy it new then the profit will go to the games company" It might sound selfish but I don't give a damn who the money is going to, as long as I get a good deal on a game.
Why buy games in the first place?
You get to play them anyway and free is probably the best deal you can get.

:rolleyes:

edit: no wonder publishers are trying to release their games using digital distribution

scoopy_loopy
03-08-10, 11:18
EB Games refurbishes all their used discs, and besides you can bring any game for any reason within 7 days no questions asked anyway. I think it's fine to buy pre-owned :)

Although, sometimes if I've really been anticipating a game I like to buy them brand new anyway, even if a pre-owned version is there.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-08-10, 11:39
i usually buy all my games new, unless there's a rare game i can't find anywhere else and i see it used... but it has to have the original artwork cover and instruction manual for me to even consider getting it. i mean, if the case is messed up or anything, then i know i can always easily replace that.

They cant sell it unless it has the original cover and manual inside, at least thats how it is over here.

SkyPuppy
03-08-10, 11:43
They cant sell it unless it has the original cover and manual inside, at least thats how it is over here.

well, over here... if it doesn't have any of that stuff included, then Gamestop will basically just put a crappy cover over the game (where the original artwork was) and have just the titles name on the box.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-08-10, 11:45
well, over here... if it doesn't have any of that stuff included, then Gamestop will basically just put a crappy cover over the game (where the original artwork was) and have just the titles name on the box.

oh wow :S They should have the same rules as here over in America, would make loads of sense!

michaeldt
03-08-10, 11:46

same thing here

lunavixen
03-08-10, 13:03

not in australia, EB and Game will still sell a traded in game as long as it has a case and the disc is original, although Game here is the only one that actually checks the disc itself, i've bought a game at EB that someone traded in and they had put a demo disc in instead of the game, so they had to replace the game with the other copy, it was one of the eyetoy games, the camera and game pack, the camera was fine but the game was false.

At EB and Game, they basically just slip a piece of paper in, EB has the logo "same game, no box" and Game here just writes the name and the console it's from on the paper that they slip into the cover, they usually don't sell that well though, because people want the covers, but i have bought a few games that don't have any manuals in them

James_Rutland
03-08-10, 14:23
NEW all the way! The nice fresh, clean shiny box that smells gorgeous when unwrapped. :cln:

I sound crazy. :vlol:

voltz
03-08-10, 16:35
I just thought I'd share what I found running around town today.

Silent Hill Homecoming $17
God of War Collection $18
Donkey Kong Country $12

Total $47

That's not even the price of a new game, plus I have extra for gas, food, and maybe a trip to the theater if I want to catch something.

NEW all the way! The nice fresh, clean shiny box that smells gorgeous when unwrapped. :cln:

I sound crazy. :vlol:

That fresh car smell usually wears off in 3 weeks. :whi:

Saphyre
03-08-10, 17:06

edit: no wonder publishers are trying to release their games using digital distribution

I've never pirated a game in my life.

Pirating games and buying them pre-owned are two completely different things. Theres no law saying you can't buy pre-owned games. If I were lumped in with people who download games illegally because I bought games used, it would be pretty stupid as far as I'm concerned. Buying a pre-owned game isn't illegal.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-08-10, 17:20

Man, you think that's bad you should see the market for Pirated hardware! Some guy downloaded my used GTX 260 off of ebay! :tmb: :tmb: :tmb: It was ok though because I managed to get him to pay me for it in the end.

Samsdad
03-08-10, 17:24
The question came up as to why you might want to buy your games new. I suppose the best answer is to support the companies that produce the games. When you buy a game used that basically cuts any profit on that copy of the game for the developers by 50%. Instead of selling two copies of the game from which they profit, the developers have sold one and the reseller has sold one.

It is very expensive to make a game today and, unfortunately,, there are many software companies that are going out of business, Piracy and the resale business really cut into the chance to make any money in gaming software development.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
03-08-10, 17:37
The question came up as to why you might want to buy your games new. I suppose the best answer is to support the companies that produce the games. When you buy a game used that basically cuts any profit on that copy of the game for the developers by 50%. Instead of selling two copies of the game from which they profit, the developers have sold one and the reseller has sold one.

It is very expensive to make a game today and, unfortunately,, there are many software companies that are going out of business, Piracy and the resale business really cut into the chance to make any money in gaming software development.

But if the 1st user no longer wants it, what are they expected to do?

Paddy
03-08-10, 17:41
Some shops Ive seen preowned games more expensive then the new copy of them.
Weird yes but I did see it.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-08-10, 17:46

Thats mental...:o

Fallen.Angel
03-08-10, 17:57
Yeah, GameStop does it all the time. Like right now, you can buy Just Cause 2 new for $40, used... it's $50 (for the PS3). The list goes on.

trlestew
03-08-10, 18:14
Another reason why I hate GameStop... even though that's my only choice for buying games :\

Samsdad
03-08-10, 18:16
But if the 1st user no longer wants it, what are they expected to do?

If the first person bought it new then they can pretty much do with it what they want to. I try not to support the resale business as much as possible. I have bought games that are old and not readily available through any other source but new releases I try to buy new.

ggctuk
03-08-10, 21:03

This is the same for me. The only used games I have bought are The Phantom Menace for the PC and I think I bought a used DS game but I can't remember which one :o

uzivatel
03-08-10, 22:49
I've never pirated a game in my life.

Pirating games and buying them pre-owned are two completely different things. Theres no law saying you can't buy pre-owned games. If I were lumped in with people who download games illegally because I bought games used, it would be pretty stupid as far as I'm concerned. Buying a pre-owned game isn't illegal.
You make it sound as if the only difference was some law (which does not even exist in many countries).

igonge
03-08-10, 23:02
When I bought Star Ocean 4 in GAME for PS3, it was 19.99 for a new copy of it and when I took it to the till the guy behind the counter was like "Oh we have it pre-owned for 18.99" I was like "I'll just have the new copy..." and then he went on to talk about how they were taking pre-orders for PSmove and I was just thinking STFU and sell me the damn game.

If the pre-owned version was a lot more cheaper than just a measely 1 off I would have taken it but it's only a 1 difference, and I got a nice shiny new disc and cover too by buying the new one.

I hate it how they just look at you as if you're crazy if you don't take the suggestion.

Saphyre
03-08-10, 23:03
You make it sound as if the only difference was some law (which does not even exist in many countries).

So wait, you're saying that if you take the law out of it, buying games pre owned is as bad as pirating them? You're not trying to make me out to be a pirate or that I am in some way trying to justify piracy are you?

voltz
03-08-10, 23:38

It's a pretty retarded idea to cross up used items of any kind as a form of piracy. We have laws protecting this for a number of good reasons and you can run it thru google if you can't come up with any.

aw614
04-08-10, 04:47
it depends on the game, some games I'll buy new, but they are cheap and older, well Im willing to wait a year or more to get a game cheaper, I know that is crazy, but for PC games, sometimes its good to wait until all the patches are released and have a bug free game. I grew up on games costing around 39.99usd or less, and I really cant justifying spending more for a game than that amount

Paddy
04-08-10, 04:52
Thats mental...:o
It is :vlol:

uzivatel
04-08-10, 06:47
So wait, you're saying that if you take the law out of it, buying games pre owned is as bad as pirating them? You're not trying to make me out to be a pirate or that I am in some way trying to justify piracy are you?
Why not put it the other way around? Pirating them would be as legal as buying used.
I am not saying you are pirate, you are obviously not. I am just saying there is more about paying for stuff like software, music or movies than giving money to some random guy/company.

And yes, I know I am stretching it a lot.

larson n natla
04-08-10, 14:59
Why not put it the other way around? Pirating them would be as legal as buying used.
I am not saying you are pirate, you are obviously not. I am just saying there is more about paying for stuff like software, music or movies than giving money to some random guy/company.

And yes, I know I am stretching it a lot.

Pirating is illegal and leaves no profit for the company.

Used process

Shops buys shipment of games - Games are sold to consumer - Consumer trades game in for money or another game - Shops resells the game - Customer Buys the game for a cheaper price.

Either way the company get's paid in full because the shop buy the game the customer doesn't so when you buy a new game your money isn't sent to the company it is taken in for the shop.

Buying used is no more profitable to a company than buying new :ton:

Laras Backpack
04-08-10, 21:18
Depends on the circumstances and the game. I have both brand new and secondhand copies of games on all the platforms I own. For the big titles I have to have on release (such as Assassin's Creed or Bioshock) then I'll save up for a new copy for the best price possible.

But for older games and older platforms I'll readily buy a preowned copy if I can find one. I don't have a problem with doing so. You can buy books, DVDs, CDs and computer hardware secondhand. If someone doesn't buy these then they'll end up gathering dust in someone's home or in landfill or best case scenario in a recycling program but that's a huge waste of resources when there are people prepared to give the fully working item a new home.

If we could find a way of getting some of the revenue from secondhand games back to the publishers then I'd be fine with that. Either way exchanging and swapping used goods is one of the oldest forms of bartering in human society.

Minty Mouth
04-08-10, 21:25

Used process

Shops buys shipment of games - Games are sold to consumer - Consumer trades game in for money or another game - Shops resells the game - Customer Buys the game for a cheaper price.

Either way the company get's paid in full because the shop buy the game the customer doesn't so when you buy a new game your money isn't sent to the company it is taken in for the shop.

Buying used is no more profitable to a company than buying new :ton:I didn't think that game stores took all the money from their sales. I was under the impression that a part of the money goes to the people who made the games.

SkyPuppy
04-08-10, 22:10

ugh... i've seen that so many times at EB games and Gamestop (they're basically the same thing, though).

Paddy
05-08-10, 00:26
ugh... i've seen that so many times at EB games and Gamestop (they're basically the same thing, though).
Happened with Red Dead Redemption lol I found it preowned for 110 bucks, got it for 100 bucks brand new at a different shop.

voltz
05-08-10, 00:48
If we could find a way of getting some of the revenue from secondhand games back to the publishers then I'd be fine with that. Either way exchanging and swapping used goods is one of the oldest forms of bartering in human society.

my thoughts:
To be honest, I really feel as if this is dangerous ground to be treading. Say we had something in the laws passed as to where the original IP were to recieve royalties for every goods sold 2nd hand, then we have to extend it to the music industry (**** RIAA!), movies, books, television, clothing etc. It just leads to nothing short of a nightmare to such a point selling goods isn't worth it and we may as well avoid the whole thing by throwing our trash out. Let's just not open this can of worms and stick to the 1st sale doctrine, so we won't have to worry about some "middleman" taking his cut on money he's no longer entitled to.

Btw, we're not anywhere near the pre-videogame crash era, so let's avoid making any further excuses for these guys. They certainly are greedy enough.

uzivatel
05-08-10, 08:09

Used process

Buying used is no more profitable to a company than buying new :ton:
1. Shops buy game - Game is sold to consumer
2. Consumer trades game in for another used game - Shops resells the game to consumer
3. Consumer trades game in for another used game - Shops resells the game to consumer
4. Consumer trades game in for another used game - Shops resells the game to consumer
n. Game is too old and the shop wont buy it.

The publisher gets money in "1" and only in "1".

Lets compare it, shall we?

1. Shops buy game - Game is sold to consumer
2. Pirate downloads the game
3. Pirate downloads the game
4. Pirate downloads the game
n. Game is too old and not even pirate is going to download it.

The publisher gets money in "1" and only in "1".

Now, the same number of gamers got to play the game and the publisher got the same money. The only difference is the shop not selling the game few times with some 50% margin rate.

edit: I do realize this is extremely simplified example.

lunavixen
06-08-10, 12:01

it's because of demand and age, it got explained to me a few years ago, games in high demand will sell slightly lower, if they are older they will be expensive, but new high demand games will also sell close to new because of the low age

RunrigNutter
01-10-10, 06:35
I buy used, if the seller has a high rating. I dont care if it's used, because if its got the manual, the disk and it plays fine, what does it matter if it's used. New is good, but way more expensive. If you play that game often, it will gather scratches and become used. I bought TR1 from scope, and whilst the case was broken, the game plays fine and it has the manual. Surely this is better?. I can see the arguments from both sides, but take it this way. If the game you bought used, has the disk, hardly any scratches, has the manual and plays fine, why waste so much money buying a new game, when you can get a used game for half the price?

xXhayleyroxXx
01-10-10, 10:05
I buy used, if the seller has a high rating. I dont care if it's used, because if its got the manual, the disk and it plays fine, what does it matter if it's used. New is good, but way more expensive. If you play that game often, it will gather scratches and become used. I bought TR1 from scope, and whilst the case was broken, the game plays fine and it has the manual. Surely this is better?. I can see the arguments from both sides, but take it this way. If the game you bought used, has the disk, hardly any scratches, has the manual and plays fine, why waste so much money buying a new game, when you can get a used game for half the price?

Exactly! :tmb:

ggctuk
01-10-10, 10:16
Used is also the only way to get games that are no longer being sold, for instance, games on older consoles.

Megalith
01-10-10, 12:04
^Still you can find some in "new condition" but it will cost more obviously...

I buy all my games new except if i'm buying something old and the "new" copy is way highly overpriced...still even in that case i always consider buying the "new" one,depending on how important to me that game is.
I've only bought one game deliberately used,not because i didn't had the money to buy it new but because i felt that the company releasing it was shafting me as a customer.Yes i'm referring to Tomb Raider Underworld.;)

RunrigNutter
01-10-10, 12:44
You can get new PS1 games, I checked on Amazon, over 20 quid :D :eek:

Shark_Blade
01-10-10, 12:45
The main issue with buying used games is that the developers get no money at all from the gamers. Not one cent!

Imagine buying a used game and this followed by millions of people around the world. The developer only get mainly the first dip during first few weeks of their games launch and sales pretty much goes less and downhill after that as a result of customers buying used games.

Sure, the gameshops made money but the developers doesn't. This has been highlighted in magazines and websites for quite sometime and discussed extensively. There were even attempts to made it unlawful to sell used games.

That is also why you can see there are some game that gives extras/unlockables for customers that uses their online code on first purchase (doesn't work on second gamer onwards if first gamer unlocked it earlier on their console). It is done to maintain their customers and to ensure on going sales for them to make money.

ozzman
01-10-10, 14:52
i prefer used for the cheaper price, but i will buy new if it's a Realy good game and worth the price [dead rising 2, TRU ext]

Tear
01-10-10, 16:06
I buy used games all the time.:p

oocladableeblah
01-10-10, 18:57
I started to buy more games used, because they are cheaper and are usually in good condition. The only reasons I would buy a new game now is that if I like the company and their new games look good and I want to support the company, and if the game is already a part of a franchise I like, and again I want to support the company.

voltz
01-10-10, 21:08
The main issue with buying used games is that the developers get no money at all from the gamers. Not one cent!

That's their problem. If they were smart enough to bring older titles back to market for $20 or less, then they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

But as I said, their problem. See you on Ebay! ;)

domino92
01-10-10, 21:42
Almost all of my games are used. There's a game shop in my town called Chumleighs that has almost any game you could think of, and most of them are $10. I bought every Tomb Raider PS1 there except TR1 and I didnt even break $50. PS3 and newer games are significantly more expensive. Uncharted 2 is about $34.99, but it's still a better deal. They also always caryy extra copies of all their games, so if it doesnt work, you get another copy free. PS2 games like the Resident Evils and Jak games sell for $12, but some of the less popular ones you can find for $1-5.

But to be fair, there is a law for buying games used. Games that are new that are to be sold used have to be a certain price (at least $10 less than the original price) that must be maintained for a certain amount of time. I think it's like a month or two, but Im not sure. So there are laws to support buying games new, but just as long as their "new".

lara c. fan
01-10-10, 21:54
why waste so much money buying a new game, when you can get a used game for half the price?

So the developer/publisher actually gets money to keep making games...? :p

domino92
01-10-10, 22:03
But we can buy the games half price, and that helps us save money. Saving money helps us keep our homes, and keeping our homes keeps our jobs, and if we lose our jobs, the stock market will crash! If the stock market crashes, the people will blame the politicians! Then the people and the military will go on an all out war! Billions will die, and the Politicians will have to make a last ditch effort to take the world for themselves, so they'll nuke the United States! They'll claim it was for world peace, and they'll have total global domination!!!!!

And thats why we buy games used! :D

voltz
01-10-10, 22:28
So the developer/publisher actually gets money to keep making games...? :p

NOT HAPPENING! See my solution.

Megalith
01-10-10, 22:29
If the movie and music industries are able to withstand the used markets,i don't see why the video game industry should have a problem with it.At least the later doesn't suffer as much as the other 2 industries from piracy (thanks to the rise of the console market.)
The used market can help someone not wealthy enough to stay in touch with his hobby (especially during his college years) and when later he has more sources of income (hopefully) he will start to buy the games new.

There's also another viewpoint.Lets say someone is interested in a game that he has never played before and wants to try it out.If he has a shortage of money he can wait and buy it used and if he likes it then he could buy the next sequel new (or another game from the same developer who has now won his trust.)

The used market also helps retailers to stay in business and this is good because they are the ones who also carry the new games.

Squibbly
01-10-10, 22:41
If there's a game coming out that I'm REALLY excited about, I'll buy it new, but otherwise, most of my games are used. I've never had any issues with used copies and even if I did, the places I buy games from will give me a refund or a different copy without any problems.

I have a massive game collection for a bunch of different consoles, and many $60 games I picked up for $10. Pretty awesome, I say. :D

Love2Raid
01-10-10, 22:41
I usually buy my games new, but I have no real problems with used games. I just would never buy a used game from a games shop, because that's usually a rip-off. Something like Ebay is much better.

Encore
01-10-10, 23:20
I prefer to buy games new because that guarantees they'll last longer. It's important for me because when I like a game, I replay it a LOT. As my Bioshock discs will testify. :pi:

However, I think the price they ask for a brand new game in local shops is absolutely appalling. I'm not gonna pay like 60€ for a game, specially one which I'm not sure I'll like (demos can't really answer that doubt). And it's particularly frustrating knowing that modern games also tend to be incredibly short. 60€ for a 10 hour game? :ohn: I could buy a whole TV series DVD boxset for that price!!

So, what I do is either look for it on Amazon UK, where it's usually cheaper, or I just wait for the price to drop. I might resort to the eBay market as well, if I find a really good deal for a new/sealed game.

RunrigNutter
02-10-10, 00:15
All this about the companies getting their money, what rubbish. If Movie companies/music companies can cope with the used market, why cant the gaming instustry

I'm not gonna pay like 60€ for a game, specially one which I'm not sure I'll like (demos can't really answer that doubt). And it's particularly frustrating knowing that modern games also tend to be incredibly short. 60€ for a 10 hour game? I could buy a whole TV series DVD boxset for that price!!

But some games such as Kula World is rare, and it's hard finding new editions. Call me nit-picking, but I buy the game because I want to play it. It doesn't matter if it's new, if I can get a used game for half that price, why waste money? Artists hasn't been affected when people sell their cds/lps online, ebay being one example. If it makes the band/artists more popular then fine. People will buy a new game, and complain when it gets scratched, means having to buy it again. I rather get a decent used copy, play it and if it did get broken, I buy it used knowing I get a bargain. I dont care about if the game is new, people will complain they have to get it again when it breaks. If ebay/amazon is only place for used games, are we gonna cry cos we cant get a new copy? It's hard to get new copies of old games, so if thats the only option thats fine by me. I got a CD by Tartan Amoebas that was used, I didn't care if it was used because it played well, no jumps etc etc, why cant people be happy and accept life doesn't always depend on getting everything new? I visit charity shops to get tapes or clothes and if they fit well, and it's clean and got no scruffs or rips, do you think I care if that was new, no!.

Encore
02-10-10, 00:25
^.... and what does any of that have to do with what I wrote? :confused: Seriously, I'm not getting your point. I don't mind people buying things used and I never said I did. Why did you quote a part where I'm merely complaining about the price of a new game???

:confused:

RunrigNutter
02-10-10, 00:35
Oh pull the other one, some games are rarer then others and all I said it's hard finding that game for a new price. If that was the price, and it was new and game that was rare, I buy it. I wasn't aiming the post at you, just some peoples views that buying used games is worse, if you read the earlier posts; you see what Im talking about.

Megalith
02-10-10, 00:41
Well one solution for the publishers regarding their old games is to re-release them (with reasonable prices) through digital markets.
Everyone (except for the ebay/amazon vultures:mis: )is winning from this.

Though i understand the publishers problem is not the money they loose from their old used games but from the relatively new ones...