PDA

View Full Version : Is It Possible To Live Without Facebook?

benjamin_2010
06-08-10, 06:35
I've been asking myself this question over and over again...can people of today live without social "advancements" like Facebook, Myspace, even without their cell phones and text messaging? I am a person who is kind of anti-technology. I say all the time I hate cell phones, I hate Facebook, etc. Of course, I have both, and I have a Myspace as well and I check things like this forum site and email daily.

I wish I didn't have to. I truly don't like Facebook. People are so obsessed with this modern age of communication. It seems like everyone is living with their phones shoved in front of their faces, messaging one person, checking Facebook, or reading an email. It is so bothersome to me, that I feel like people no longer focus on seeing each other and communicating with one another, they just live for that next moment they can text or Facebook or Instant Message!

As an 18, almost 19 year old who is about to enter college, I find it so silly for people to focus so much of their lives on these things. I feel like these "conveniences" detract from actual communication when you are actually with someone, because the majority of people are in the middle of a texting war and will not put away the cell for more than 20 minutes! Is it just me, or are there other people out there who feel the same?

sandygrimm
06-08-10, 06:37
YES, just say NO:)
it's just a social network....not a drug. Oh wait it is. Still can say NO to it

Lara's Nemesis
06-08-10, 06:44
I've been asking myself this question over and over again...can people of today live without social "advancements" like Facebook, Myspace, even without their cell phones and text messaging? I am a person who is kind of anti-technology. I say all the time I hate cell phones, I hate Facebook, etc. Of course, I have both, and I have a Myspace as well and I check things like this forum site and email daily.

I wish I didn't have to. I truly don't like Facebook. People are so obsessed with this modern age of communication. It seems like everyone is living with their phones shoved in front of their faces, messaging one person, checking Facebook, or reading an email. It is so bothersome to me, that I feel like people no longer focus on seeing each other and communicating with one another, they just live for that next moment they can text or Facebook or Instant Message!

As an 18, almost 19 year old who is about to enter college, I find it so silly for people to focus so much of their lives on these things. I feel like these "conveniences" detract from actual communication when you are actually with someone, because the majority of people are in the middle of a texting war and will not put away the cell for more than 20 minutes! Is it just me, or are there other people out there who feel the same ?

Totally agree with that.

patriots88888
06-08-10, 06:53
No, not possible! I am dead! :p

I say, whatever makes anyone happy is okay by me... just as long as I don't have to conform just because 'everyone' else does. :)

scoopy_loopy
06-08-10, 06:57
I don't know why you're so up in arms about it. If we didn't have things like facebook, do you REALLY think everyone would suddenly make all that extra effort to keep in touch?

aktrekker
06-08-10, 06:58
Of course it's possible. In fact it's better.
Get out in the real world and meet real people in real life.

benjamin_2010
06-08-10, 07:02
Of course it's possible. In fact it's better.
Get out in the real world and meet real people in real life.

This is what I'm trying to get at. I don't think this works as well unless these issues ceased to exist. Part of my problem is that people won't lay off the phones and whatever. Everything social exists around these stupid internet inventions with their own patterns and cycles and whatever and I hate it. :hea:

I don't know why you're so up in arms about it. If we didn't have things like facebook, do you REALLY think everyone would suddenly make all that extra effort to keep in touch?

Yes. What did people do before all of these inventions? They had to get together more and actually talk face to face more :P

jarekhanzelka
06-08-10, 07:06
It's very possible. In fact, I did it just few days ago. So much more time to do things! :D

Ikas90
06-08-10, 07:06
I could probably live without Facebook and any other social network sites, but I couldn't live without my friends.

scoopy_loopy
06-08-10, 07:09
There's nothing stopping you from having a Facebook AND going out and meeting people...

Ikas90
06-08-10, 07:14
Well some people find it a lot easier to interact online, especially if they have social disorders. I used to be like that - but now I can handle both online and real life social situations.

Then again, it's also possible that social networking sites such as Facebook has an impact on the way we interact with others in real life. We may have evolved into a more socially impaired species. :p

scoopy_loopy
06-08-10, 07:16
Sorreh Sakeh, I was meaning that in reply to someone above you - but I hadnt reloaded the thread before submitting my post. :o

I'm all for online interaction being pretty darn awesome, too :tmb:

benjamin_2010
06-08-10, 07:19
It seems to me that instead of talking to real people, Facebookers put everything on their wall and then just leave it. They don't mention what goes on, everything seems like old news.

I just don't like it. I feel like everything is being revolved around this world of Facebook and it's know-how on everyone's lives and is contributing to the end of socialization forever. Nobody calls anyone anymore, it's all text. Nobody hand writes anything, it's all typed. The art of communication is seriously being depleted because of technology. It bugs me.. :confused:

scoopy_loopy
06-08-10, 07:21
It seems to me that instead of talking to real people, Facebookers put everything on their wall and then just leave it. They don't mention what goes on, everything seems like old news.

I just don't like it. I feel like everything is being revolved around this world of Facebook and it's know-how on everyone's lives and is contributing to the end of socialization forever. Nobody calls anyone anymore, it's all text. Nobody hand writes anything, it's all typed. The art of communication is seriously being depleted because of technology. It bugs me.. :confused:

Either that, or you have boring friends :p Facebook hasn't ended phone calls for me, nor has ended intelligent conversation between my friends and I at Uni. I think you're just being slightly bitter about everyone liking something you don't :p

benjamin_2010
06-08-10, 07:25
^^lol maybe you're right. I feel like it's addicting though...I can see why so many people want to do it. But I still feel like it's bad for everyone. Because of things like this, everything is changing. For good or bad? Guess it depends on the person. I honestly can't remember the last time I had a photo of myself printed, a real photograph. Everything is just online. It's strange....

almayah
06-08-10, 07:26
Of course you can !!
Well, I can. It's summer and I barely touched my computer. It's rainy today so I have to surf. I have a facebook profile, but only to keep in touch with my friends, that's why I don't want that EVERYONE adds me as a friend.

scoopy_loopy
06-08-10, 07:26
I'm sure it is addicting, but I think that pretty much everything these days is :p

Lara's Nemesis
06-08-10, 07:30
People should be careful what they put up on Facebook, prospective employers tend to check it these days.

Could what you put up on that site be more important than your actual job interview?

I don't know if "tend to" was the right words to describe it, but I have read about some people that have been refused jobs because of what they have revealed on Facebook.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1515371/facebook_the_reason_why_you_didnt_get.html?cat=31

Alpharaider47
06-08-10, 08:08
Despite my rather fast accumulation of posts and time spent on this forum, and facebook as well as MSN :o I know that *I* can live without it all.

I think it would be rather freeing and even a little fun to just go off into the outdoors with a tent and some basic survival gear and just rough it for awhile. The only things really stopping me are my age, college, and it would be quite nice to have somebody to go with. Flying solo's fun for awhile, but I'm realising how much it would be nice to share my adventures with somebody :p That means getting out and meeting people.

Uzi master
06-08-10, 08:09
I dont have a cell and never visit facebook anymore, though I cant say I'm really in touch that much though it is still posssible.:ton:

ShadyCroft
06-08-10, 08:38
Facebook and social networking, yes...heck! I haven't opened my Facebook page in 2 weeks and am fine. I do think they help us find others and keep in touch with, and as long as we use it for this reason, then its fine and I actually appreciate its existence and wouldnt want it not available...
but unfortunately, people these days use Facebook to show off..be it pics, some pointless comments, posting songs and clips that barely anyone sees and heckle other people.
my post seems confusing. I dont like Facebook for the reason I posted above, that people now use it for silly things, but I cannot deny that I met other gay guys through a dating and social networking site, so I wouldnt want such things not to exist at all, but I dont want them to be the center of my day and every move and click.

As for phone, nope, sorry, I cannot live without my cellphone. Cellphones are different than Facebook, its a quicker way to reach people...you'd call your mom from the grocery store to double check the shopping, you would call your friend in university to see where he/she is, its like your moving house telephone and I dont think anyone could live without it (unless you're anti-social, thats sth else).
so cellphones, nope...extreme Facebook and online usage, yes, wouldnt mind giving it up for a real encounter with a loved one over coffee. :) but first am gonna have to call him via cellphone to set the date and time :p

Cochrane
06-08-10, 09:04
If youíre so against it, then why do you have Facebook? Iím not on that site and it never hurt me.

You can live without anything but food and water and something to keep you from the cold. The question is whether you want to. Modern technology makes our life easier, and thatís not a bad thing.

ShadyCroft
06-08-10, 09:13
^was the question at the beginning of your post directed at me ? If it was, here goes. I'm not against Facebook, I even said I appreciate its existence and that I met other gay guys in my conservative country via such sites, but the way people go on about FB these days makes me think its main and more important purpose has gone missing.

I have a facebook account because I wanna keep in touch with my friends and family, and I use it for that purpose, but I dont take a pic every few second, in the garden, in uni, in the bedroom, just to put it as a profile pic for the whole world to see how GAWGEOUS I am !!!

when we're at a birthday party, mum would badger me "take photos! take photos ! we need to put some on Facebook!"
and some people would tell me "they have uploaded photos, why havent you ?"
its like a freakin' competition. and dont get me started on dramatic statuses "for the guy who hurt me, you know who you are, I'm over you" followed by "awww! babes am sorry! " and a "thank you babes! mwa" sorta like to get attention...to me Facebook has turned into that EVERYDAY, and it sometimes irks me when someone blows you down because they're on FB...it happened to me.

I mean I know we get ups and downs and nothing wrong with letting your close friends know about you being sick or hurt, but these days, its seems like that everyday.

*laralover*
06-08-10, 09:17
Yes :p I have one and i randomly post on it. Sometimes i cant be arsed though. If Facebook ended i wouldnt cry :p

Lee croft
06-08-10, 09:19
LMAO live without facebook....of course you cant!!!

Monari
06-08-10, 09:39
I don't get what's the fuss about Facebook. :pi: What's so great about it? :confused: I really don't get it. :cool:

Tonyrobinson
06-08-10, 09:41
I live without out it six days a week and check it on the seventh. :D

Lee croft
06-08-10, 09:43
I don't get what's the fuss about Facebook. :pi: What's so great about it? :confused: I really don't get it. :cool:

Know one know's but you could be on it for hours and not have done a thing.

da tomb raider!
06-08-10, 09:45
Of course it is. I've never had a Facebook or MySpace account. I don't see the point of it. Of course, I still keep in touch with my friends. I just, you know, talk to them in person or, failing that, speak to them over the phone. The home phone, that is, and not my 6-year-old mobile phone that I use about once a month. Yep, I'd say that it's perfectly possible to live without it. For me, at least.

ShadyCroft
06-08-10, 09:45

jeee, that almost sounds like a waste of time. :p

Lee croft
06-08-10, 09:49
jeee, that almost sounds like a waste of time. :p

totally.

Monari
06-08-10, 09:51
Well, there are better pages for that... :p

Big Lara Fan
06-08-10, 09:57
It's possible! :D

The Swede
06-08-10, 10:14
I don't have Facebook... so, yes!

patriots88888
06-08-10, 10:22
If youíre so against it, then why do you have Facebook? Iím not on that site and it never hurt me.

You can live without anything but food and water and something to keep you from the cold. The question is whether you want to. Modern technology makes our life easier, and thatís not a bad thing.

In the context in which you stated that, I agree. However, just for the sake of disagreeing with that statement in its entirety, I can think of a few things. The most prominent of which is that it can (and often does) promote laziness and complacency, which in turn can lead to poor health as a result and that is never a good thing. Granted this isn't directly technology's fault, but rather the fault of the user of that technology. Obviously, acting responsibly and knowing one's own limitations in its utilization is key. The point is though, as good and easy technology can make our lives, there is always the possibility of a down side to it as well.

ShadyCroft
06-08-10, 10:28
^I agree completely ! Too much of anything is bad, even technology, which is why I do not approve of the current usage of Facebook, spending hours on it for nothing, and what ****es me off more, getting blown down because of it as I said in my previous post.

Finding a balance is always the best thing to do.

Dustie
06-08-10, 11:05
^ Exactly. It's not impossible. Remember MySpace?... Not? Exactly.

I, Tomb Raider
06-08-10, 11:06
Of course it is. I have never registered and I am still alive. :vlol:
Actually, I will never register to that crap of web page. :pi:

Avalon SARL
06-08-10, 11:06
I have FB, but i just view it like once or twice per day, for less than 5 minutes each time...
Just to see new news about friends, some pics and stuff...

So yes, A BIG NO to FB

Nerd For Life
06-08-10, 11:31
Yes, it is.

sandygrimm
06-08-10, 12:00
Th real question to be put here. is : Is it possible to live with out TRF:p

Facebook isn't such a strong socializing network anymore since Twitter came up. You hear people twit from wherever, from, maternity wards, from behind the wheel of a car, from the top of a mountain. :p

interstellardave
06-08-10, 12:05
I live without Facebook, Twitter, even without a cell phone.

So... don't be ridiculous!

Andyroo
06-08-10, 12:12
I live without Facebook, Twitter, even without a cell phone.

Same here. I'm a member of a few forums and thats about it.

Facebook is nothing.

digitizedboy
06-08-10, 12:14
I have a facebook account, and personally I can't even see the attraction to it. It has a novelty value that soon wears away IMO. But I guess that's me though. It's hard to get addicted to anything on the Internet nowadays and in one aspect I'm glad.

lunavixen
06-08-10, 12:20
facebook most definately, but not my phone, i don't have a house phone and i keep in regular contact with my mum, especially since i moved out of home

tombraiderluka
06-08-10, 12:32
There's nothing stopping you from having a Facebook AND going out and meeting people...
True, but who to meet when everyone's at their homes on facebook :p

dizzydoil
06-08-10, 12:32
I have been living without facebook for 2 whole years. If I out of anyone can do, so can yous! :D

Thorir
06-08-10, 12:48
I don't have Facebook, and I'm doing fine without it. :p

Alex Fly
06-08-10, 12:49
I don't have a problem to live without it for the moment ! It's useless anyway ! :D :p

Capt. Murphy
06-08-10, 13:03
I've done the MySpace thing before, but it was for reasons I shall not disclose in this reply.

I don't have a cell phone, and I don't want a cell phone.
I don't have a facebook.... and I doubt I will get one anytime soon. :confused:

Hey! Looky there. I'm actually/still breathing. So doing without the fb and founz is safe. :tmb:

Larson_1988
06-08-10, 13:04
I'm totally Facebookaddicted, sad but true. :o

trlestew
06-08-10, 13:05
It's very easy for me to live without it considering none of my friends even want to talk to me...

I don't use twitter or have a cell phone either. I must be a teen from another dimension :rolleyes:

Draco
06-08-10, 13:20
I love technology, but I love the idea of post apocalyptic earth even more.

Shark_Blade
06-08-10, 13:26
I can't believe this is an actual question. Of course it is possible.
I have facebook and only open it occasionally. I can live without it days and months.

Chocola teapot
06-08-10, 13:50
No, Lack of Facebook was listed as the second biggest killer of 2009.

ozzman
06-08-10, 14:47
yes, i've went my whole life without it and Myspace, i don't like things like it,they are boring and useless, TRF however would be a nightmare to live without

Encore
06-08-10, 14:49
Lol.

I never even had a Facebook account. Or any other social network for that matter. And by all current medical reports, I am still alive.

Goose
06-08-10, 15:03
Nope i dont have a facebook thingy.

silviu_raider
06-08-10, 15:05
I have a Facebook, MySpace, you name it account but I am sure that I'd manage to survive without them. :p
However, without my cell phone...that's debatable. :p

Mikky
06-08-10, 15:06
Yes, it really is possible. I live without it every day. :p

But TRF, on the other hand... no. I would die if I didn't have TRF. I'm sad, aren't I? :pi:

Nemo_91
06-08-10, 15:06
Well, I'm still alive so yeah.

kooky
06-08-10, 15:23
Yes I believe it is possible to live without it, I have many friends who have a facebook & many who don't have a facebook or myspace. Besides I believe it's better to talk person to person than having a computer speak for you or IMing, but facebook is just really addictive at least for me it is, I have been liking too many things lately lol. :vlol:

jackali
06-08-10, 15:24
Yes. I don't have one. Never did, never plan to.

the ancient
06-08-10, 15:39
I don't have Facebook/Myspace/Netlog

and I am prefectly healthy :p

tranniversary119
06-08-10, 15:46
I rarely use Facebook, so yeah it's possible. For me anyway.

Lizard of Oz
06-08-10, 17:31
I think it's perfectly possible to NOT die when not using Facebook, dear. :p

For me, I am a strong supporter. I like to keep in touch with all my friends and family, some of which are half way around the globe.

However, I think think it's interfering with physical social interaction. Actually, interaction through Facebook has caused me and my friends to hang out more! We make all of our plans through Facebook.

I guess some people are just getting the wrong idea.

igonge
06-08-10, 17:49
If facebook were to explode or something right now, I'm sure I could live without it.

DgoOdz94
06-08-10, 17:52
Yes, it's possible. :)

benjamin_2010
06-08-10, 18:29
I think some of you take the question too literally..Of course everyone can live without Facebook, no need to be silly about it. :p

Maybe my experiences are different than other people's. I primarily have an issue with one friend who really won't stay off his phone and it bugs the crap out of me. I wonder how my life would be without all of these things. I feel I can't stop Facebooking now because I've invested a lot of time in it, like many of you have invested so much time on this forum.

larafan25
06-08-10, 19:07
I don't have a cell phone, I rarely talk on the home phone, when I do it is LONGGG conversations. I would not have facebook if my sister never thought it was appropriate for everybody at the time. I only check it a couple times a week.

Really I rely on seeing people and TRF.

Legend of Lara
06-08-10, 19:16
I've lived without Facebook for all my life...

:whi:

Minty Mouth
06-08-10, 19:17
I've lived without Facebook for all my life...

:whi:

Although I have an account, I don't actually use it apart from to say happy birthday and stuff, so I class myself as in the same boat :D :p