PDA

View Full Version : Obama putting on the ritz

Solice
06-08-10, 22:16
Let them eat cake (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100805/pl_yblog_upshot/first-lady-under-fire-for-her-glitzy-spanish-vacation):mad:

Draco
06-08-10, 22:20
This is not the Change you are looking for.

Solice
06-08-10, 22:24
This is not the Change you are looking for.

I think people are starting to catch on.

matrix54
06-08-10, 22:31
Um, yeah, hey Michelle, the country is in debt. I know you haven't got a job and everything, and you husband is the president and all, plus the government pays for EVERYTHING...

...If we ain't got it, you ain't got it! SEE WORLD, THIS IS THE KIND OF BS AMERICA PUMPS OUT! She must have forgot what country she was in :rolleyes: It damn sure isn't a financially sound one.

And on the issue of race, as sad as it is (and it sad it has to be this way, STILL), she is making African-Americans look bad. First Black couple in Presidency, and she's taking advantage of government money, when we have none. McCain and Palin are looking really good right now.

TombRaiderFan.
06-08-10, 22:56
Yuch! McCain and Palin still are terrible candidates for ANYTHING, no matter how mad the Obamas are.

To be honest, this news is pretty stupid. As far as I know this woman is a proffesional, as well as her husband. I highly doubt that they take money from the government's funds to give themselves the high life. As the higly educated people they are, I would expect them to have made their own money to be able to afford this. If they worked hard for it then they should get to enjoy it.

As it says on the article, she is paying for her own expenses.

But that only covers a small part of the ultimate expense, given that she has full-time Secret Service protection and has to travel with an entourage of staff. That cost, as well as her travel on board an official Air Force charter plane, is covered by taxpayers.

Oh ok, do you expect the First Lady of the United States to travel in economic class and go around without any protection so that she becomes an easy target to terrorist attacks. Ya, I would think Republicans would want that. :rolleyes:

aktrekker
06-08-10, 23:09
As the higly educated people they are
You mean as highly educated as she is.
:p

Mad Tony
06-08-10, 23:25
Yuch! McCain and Palin still are terrible candidates for ANYTHING, no matter how mad the Obamas are.

To be honest, this news is pretty stupid. As far as I know this woman is a proffesional, as well as her husband. I highly doubt that they take money from the government's funds to give themselves the high life. As the higly educated people they are, I would expect them to have made their own money to be able to afford this. If they worked hard for it then they should get to enjoy it.

As it says on the article, she is paying for her own expenses.

Oh ok, do you expect the First Lady of the United States to travel in economic class and go around without any protection so that she becomes an easy target to terrorist attacks. Ya, I would think Republicans would want that. :rolleyes:I think the point the article makes is that she shouldn't be taking vacations that far way due to your government's problem with debt.

If this were Laura Bush you'd be raging right now.

Chocola teapot
06-08-10, 23:32
Oh so She went on holiday... And why not?

:confused:

TombRaiderFan.
06-08-10, 23:34
I think the point the article makes is that she shouldn't be taking vacations that far way due to your government's problem with debt.

If this were Laura Bush you'd be raging right now.

^ No, I wouldn't. I don't have double standards. You should take your own suggestions and try not to put words in someone else's mouth.

By your logic no one in the entire country should take a vacatation because the country is in debt.

Mad Tony
06-08-10, 23:40
^ No, I wouldn't. I don't have double standards. You should take your own suggestions and try not to put words in someone else's mouth.

By your logic no one in the entire country should take a vacatation because the country is in debt.Well you seem so partisan hence why I made the assumption.

No. :confused: I said she should be taking a vacation that's not so far away because most of the costs involved are picked up by the taxpayer and thus not going so far away wont cost as much. Individual people (just regular people) who go on vacation will be paying out of their own pockets, not through the taxpayer.

TombRaiderFan.
06-08-10, 23:45
She is the one paying for the expenses. The only thing that are being paid by me and other taxpayers is the plane trip and the Secret Service protecion--which she would have either way.

Minty Mouth
06-08-10, 23:46
Some good comments on that page :p

hope she has such a great time over there that she decides to stay!!!!

Mad Tony
06-08-10, 23:48
She is the one paying for the expenses. The only thing that are being paid by me and other taxpayers is the plane trip and the Secret Service protecion--which she would have either way.That's pretty much irrelevant since most of the costs come from the Secret Service.

...the first lady will pay her personal expenses — as will the friends who are traveling with her. But that only covers a small part of the ultimate expense...Of course there would be Secret Service costs where ever she goes but those costs would be cheaper if she went somewhere in the US. I think that's what the article is getting at.

just croft
06-08-10, 23:52
^ exactly! So it's not her fault or problem eighter way... Secret Services would be doing their job in Spain or whichever other country and I'm sure the only thing that would cost more would be the plane part and it wouldn't be that much of a difference. No point making such a fuss out of this.

Mad Tony
06-08-10, 23:56
^ exactly! So it's not her fault or problem eighter way... Secret Services would be doing their job in Spain or whichever other country. No point making such a fuss out of this.I would imagine Secret Service cost would be lower if she went somewhere domestic as opposed to Spain.

I wasn't making a fuss about it. Frankly I don't think it makes much of a difference but I was just responding to TombRaiderFan that the fact she's paying her own expenses is largely irrelevant and that the article is pointing out how she doesn't need to go do so far away.

egypt_gypsie
07-08-10, 00:15
So she took a vacation. For four days. So what?

matrix54
07-08-10, 00:18
Point being, she went on a Trip. whether it was far away or not, money was still being pulled from the pockets of the tax payers. I don't know anyone in the secret service and I only know of Michelle and her daughter. Sure we a re forced to pay taxes that help the poor and health care, what ever. BUT, when goes as far as plane tickets to Spain for a trip, thats a little bit too far.

America is a Democracy. I'm sure no one voted for that.

It isn't the only trip she has taken recently. With every trip she takes, she basically puts the country in more and more debt, and the country has to pay for it. You can say it isn't her fault, but in reality, yeah it kind of is.

Alpharaider47
07-08-10, 00:33
Oh! So *that* is where we put the Change. I can't wait to see what they do with the Hope :p

Draco
07-08-10, 00:37

What is she even taking a vacation from?

patriots88888
07-08-10, 00:39

Her hubby? :tea:

knightgames
07-08-10, 01:02

By your logic no one in the entire country should take a vacatation because the country is in debt.

She could have went to The Gulf Coast like she advertised U.S. citizens to do. She made a PSA on her trip last month to help keep the coast's economy going.

She didn't have to take along 40 of her friends.

They SAY they'll pay it back..... IOW we're footin' the bill until they repay the country back. P'shaw! I don't think ANYONE believes that.

The lady made $16,000,000.00 the last year prior to the inauguration. Why is ANY citizen footing her hotel and food expenses? Are your vacation expenses paid for? MINE aren't. I'll give her the the security detail. She gets that by virtue of her position.

But honestly, with her husband STILL whining about the economy the last administration left him, you'd think she'd lead by example. There a 9 - 12% jobless rate depending on where you go. Job market's not growing. Real estate, new houses, construction are still stagnant. It just goes to show how far up her wazoo her head is. Neither one can lead.... one by official duty.... the other by principled example.

Dennis's Mom
07-08-10, 14:42
I think this is a tempest in a teapot. Had she gone anywhere else, someone would have a bone to pick with the destination.

Capt. Murphy
07-08-10, 14:57
The title of the thread should have read: Obama's wife takes a Mexican Vacation.:D

scoopy_loopy
07-08-10, 15:01
Oh who cares?! It was FOUR DAYS! FOUR!

Also, where else should someone such as the First Lady of the U.S Stay? In a trailer park? :rolleyes: Yeah... that'll paint America up as a respectable nation, indeed.

Super Badnik
07-08-10, 15:29
Hm, Its not great that Obama's wife can take glitzy holidays while others are heading towards poverty, in fact some would say it's disgusting. But still, you can't really blame her too much. She is only Obama's wife, not the President, and if someone has this wealth then they are much less likely to use it to help the poor than take a holiday.
The title of the thread should have read: Obama's wife takes a Mexican Vacation.:D:vlol:

MattTR
07-08-10, 15:40
Her hubby? :tea:

Maybe she can fly us all out to Spain? :D

Anyways.. there's bigger news then this out there, boring. :pi:

xMiSsCrOfTx
07-08-10, 21:01
Sure, the trip was a little outrageous, but to go as far as saying it's solely HER fault that America is in as much debt as we are is just as ridiculous. :rolleyes:

Maybe she likes traveling, seeing new things and new places. Ohmygod how DARE she.

Hairhelmet12
07-08-10, 21:32
Ugh. I hate people. Always find something to ***** about.

Mad Tony
07-08-10, 21:34
Sure, the trip was a little outrageous, but to go as far as saying it's solely HER fault that America is in as much debt as we are is just as ridiculous. :rolleyes:Who's been saying that? :confused:

freeze10108
07-08-10, 23:45
Of course there would be Secret Service costs where ever she goes but those costs would be cheaper if she went somewhere in the US.

Prove it.

The lady made $16,000,000.00 the last year prior to the inauguration. Why is ANY citizen footing her hotel and food expenses? Are your vacation expenses paid for? MINE aren't.

The article said she was paying her own expenses. While it didn't specify what those were, I imagine food and shelter are included in that. And we couldn't (shouldn't) send her on a regular plane; we don't do that with out very high up officials for safety reasons.

The title of the thread should have read: Obama's wife takes a Mexican Vacation.:D

No. First, Mexico =/= Spain. Second, that debate was absutelh ridiculous; it was a matter of personal preference of precision.

---

Are people honestly going to say that because of the expsense of the Secret Service, which is present where they are at all times, our diplomats shouldn't take vacation. Please. They're humans, and at the end of the day, it's still a (very important) job.

Mad Tony
07-08-10, 23:48
Prove it.I don't need to - it's logic. They wouldn't be traveling as far and thus it would be cheaper. There are loads of other things I expect would be cheaper but I'd just be speculating there. How much cheaper it would be I don't know.

freeze10108
08-08-10, 00:00
I don't need to - it's logic. They wouldn't be traveling as far and thus it would be cheaper. There are loads of other things I expect would be cheaper but I'd just be speculating there. How much cheaper it would be I don't know.

Logic does not constitute proof. Just because something is logica[/b]l does not mean it's true. A vegetarian eats vegetables, so logically a humanit[b]arian should eat humans. Logic can be appealed to, logos, but that's a strategy of persuasion; what makes sense isn't always true.

To prove this you need concrete evidence to prove it. Concrete evidence could be statistics, anecdotes, or anything that really can't be refuted. ;)

Mad Tony
08-08-10, 00:02
Logic does not constitute proof. Just because something is logical does not mean it's true. A vegetarian eats vegetables, so logically a humanitarian should eat humans. Logic can be appealed to, logos, but that's a strategy of persuasion; what makes sense isn't always true.

To prove this you need concrete evidence to prove it. Concrete evidence could be statistics, anecdotes, or anything that really can't be refuted. ;)What so you don't think a flight to Colorado (for example) will cost less than a flight to Spain? ;)

Ward Dragon
08-08-10, 00:06
Are people honestly going to say that because of the expsense of the Secret Service, which is present where they are at all times, our diplomats shouldn't take vacation. Please. They're humans, and at the end of the day, it's still a (very important) job.

This is her eighth vacation this year. What kind of hard work is she doing that she needs a vacation every month? :p It would be understandable if she was using the vacation for diplomatic reasons, but I don't think she should take personal vacations knowing that it will be mostly paid for by the taxpayers. Even if the amount of money isn't that much compared to other sources of expense, it doesn't gain her any good will to flaunt her wealth (much less use any taxpayer money for frivolous vacations) when the economy is doing so badly. Around 10% of Americans can't even find a job, Obama's blaming the rich for not paying enough taxes, and meanwhile his wife is jetting around the globe going on fancy vacations. It makes Obama look like a hypocrite.

SamReeves
08-08-10, 00:07
The Obamas seem to crave the limelight and want to be seen on vacation. That's what bugs me.

The Bushes however didn't want it, often going out to work on the ranch in Crawford. Ya, the President drives his own pickup truck on the ranch. ;)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6020/200208091ranch8515h.jpg

freeze10108
08-08-10, 00:16
What so you don't think a flight to Colorado (for example) will cost less than a flight to Spain? ;)

Yes, a trip to Colorado would indeed be cheaper than a trip to Spain. Howver, I don't believe that the government has to pay for tickets for it's own airplanes.

So, given that they'd likely only be paying for fuel and food, it's good that Michelle took friends with her to stretch the dollars being spent; it's much more expensive to fly a few people than a large group of people, as the fuel used to fly the plane would be used to fly more people, and in turn, use proportionally less fuel per person. ;)

EDIT 1 (now that I'm back at a computer and not on my phone :p):

The Bushes however didn't want it, often going out to work on the ranch in Crawford. Ya, the President drives his own pickup truck on the ranch. ;)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6020/200208091ranch8515h.jpg

That's really just an act. He bought that "ranch" during his 1999 campaign to appear more down to earth. He doesn't raise animals on that "ranch," so it really can't be called a "ranch." Further, he posed on that ranch for photographers to take pictures of him looking as if he were just a down home rancher, when, in fact, he's not. Bush "wanted" to be seen "on vacation" as a "rancher." ;)

EDIT 2:

This is her eighth vacation this year. What kind of hard work is she doing that she needs a vacation every month? :p It would be understandable if she was using the vacation for diplomatic reasons, but I don't think she should take personal vacations knowing that it will be mostly paid for by the taxpayers. Even if the amount of money isn't that much compared to other sources of expense, it doesn't gain her any good will to flaunt her wealth (much less use any taxpayer money for frivolous vacations) when the economy is doing so badly. Around 10% of Americans can't even find a job, Obama's blaming the rich for not paying enough taxes, and meanwhile his wife is jetting around the globe going on fancy vacations. It makes Obama look like a hypocrite.

Here's the thing, and while it will sound pompous and prideful, it will be true in some cases, some people will be "honored" or "feel better about America" solely for the fact that she's going to said country for her vacation, one that she could have taken anywhere else, so that is diplomatic (though a very big stretch). On the other hand, eight vacations is a lot, but it really isn't her fault that we're required to pay for certain parts of it. Are we to say that she can't take a vacation because we need to protect her (which costs money)? Are we to fault Michelle Obama for taking a vacation (which I believe she could and would pay for herself if given the ability to) in which policies are enforced to have her bring security and fly on government jets?