PDA

View Full Version : Great unsolicited advice you've never had the chance to share

Quasimodo
07-08-10, 02:47
These can be from your own experience or something you found out elsewhere...

1. Tomato juice alone does not remove skunk odor from a dog. It does, however, turn the dog an amusing shade of pink.

2. Never ďlendĒ money to friends. Either give it freely or not at all.

3. Never participate in political discussions at work - it will usually end badly!

4. If in doubt, dress up, not down.

5. Always expect the worst and you'll usually be pleasantly surprised!

Encore
07-08-10, 02:49
If you're not 120% sure of their feelings, don't be the first to say to the other person that you love them. :p

just*raidin*tomb
07-08-10, 02:52
You have to risk it all every once in a while or you'll lose having anything to risk. :)

Quasimodo
07-08-10, 02:57
Here's (http://www.positivityblog.com/index.php/2008/03/07/bruce-lees-top-7-fundamentals-for-getting-your-life-in-shape/) some good ones from Bruce Lee:

As you think, so shall you become.
Itís not the daily increase but daily decrease. Hack away at the unessential.
If you spend too much time thinking about a thing, youíll never get it done.
To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person.
Take no thought of who is right or wrong or who is better than. Be not for or against.
Showing off is the foolís idea of glory.
To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

trlestew
07-08-10, 03:03
Such a great martial artist and smart/ inspirational person :(

My advice is my signature. "Theory and logic say yes, but life says no"
It means that even if all outcomes 'prove' impossible, life can be unpredictable and find it's own way. It can be taken positively or negatively depending on the situation.

Alpharaider47
07-08-10, 03:12
"There is always hope."

These are just some personal ones, things I'm either following or am trying to-
Don't wait for your family or others to make your dreams come true, take the initiative.
Follow your heart, your life is your own and you need to live it how *you* want to.
Get up, get out, go somewhere. Go on an adventure if you can, see the world.
Sometimes you have to leave everything you know behind in the pursuit of happiness, trust in yourself to succeed.
Don't let the odds stop you.
It's not the end result that matters, it's the journey.

aktrekker
07-08-10, 03:23
It's not the end result that matters, it's the journey.
Please explain the rationale behind that one :confused:

Alpharaider47
07-08-10, 03:24
Please explain the rationale behind that one :confused:

There probably isn't any, like I said this is me. I'm more interested in the adventure than where I end up. Of course the end result is death right? Not much changing that.

Chocola teapot
07-08-10, 03:27
YOU Come first, most important.

Always do something, Never do nothing...

When you know you're right, YOU are Gosh Darn Right!

aktrekker
07-08-10, 03:27
You don't have any other destinations planned for your life?
Job, marriage, children, or anything else major? Just death?

Alpharaider47
07-08-10, 03:31
You don't have any other destinations planned for your life?
Job, marriage, children, or anything else major? Just death?

That's not quite what I was getting at there. I meant death is the ultimate end result. I don't have any urge to get there yet :p I haven't even gotten a chance to get away from my parents, I intend to live before I die!

just*raidin*tomb
07-08-10, 03:31
There probably isn't any, like I said this is me. I'm more interested in the adventure than where I end up. Of course the end result is death right? Not much changing that.

I agree. Just live. Planning is completely overrated...

I certainly have no official plans for my life, but I do have certain goals that I hope to achieve. But nothing is promised, so I don't EXPECT to reach those goals, just live and see what happens. :D

I don't know. - _- I'm severly confusing and complicated.

KyleCroft
07-08-10, 04:05
I actually came up with this today... It's kinda long-ish, but you get the point.

The world has created the idea that unless you are good at Math, Science, LA, English, Computer Programming or whatnot, you aren't smart. The fact is, everyone is great at something; Music, Dance, Drawing, Painting, etc. So don't ever let anyone tell you you're stupid, because your a ****ing genius.

Lizard of Oz
07-08-10, 04:47
Sometimes selfishness is ideal.:)

Cochrane
07-08-10, 08:50
I may receive some disagreement over some of them:

- Always look on the bright side of life.
- Maths really is that important.
- Avoid getting out in Hagen central station unless you really have to.
- Donít overload operators in C++ except for maths classes.
- Always have at least one backup of everything.
- Be curious.
- Try to do something you donít normally do as often as possible.
- The model railroad gauge H0 is H Zero, the number, not the letter.

aktrekker
07-08-10, 10:53
- Donít overload operators in C++ except for maths classes.

Agreed.

Might as well add my own.

Employers always look for the best so everyone tries to be the best.
But it isn't the best that get the work done. It's the one who is good but not the best.
So try to be the good one who gets the job done. Otherwise society will crumble.

jarekhanzelka
07-08-10, 10:59
When you have second thoughts, LISTEN TO THEM.

Mad Tony
07-08-10, 11:44
An anemone or clematis plant's juice can cause a rash. When pruning them, it's a good idea to wear gloves.

Quasimodo
07-08-10, 13:44
The subject of maths reminds me...

-Don't be too proud to ask for help!

mind
07-08-10, 13:54
When you have second thoughts, LISTEN TO THEM.

like listen to your obsessive compulsive disorder? :pi:

Encore
07-08-10, 14:11
I actually came up with this today... It's kinda long-ish, but you get the point.

The world has created the idea that unless you are good at Math, Science, LA, English, Computer Programming or whatnot, you aren't smart. The fact is, everyone is great at something; Music, Dance, Drawing, Painting, etc. So don't ever let anyone tell you you're stupid, because your a ****ing genius.

Genius is a bit too much, since that only applies to people that are actually outstanding. But I agree with you that everyone is smart, only in different areas.

Phlip
07-08-10, 15:56
I'd like to reiterate the whole...

Don't "lend" stuff (of value) to friends. Either flat out don't, or give it to them.

Chocola teapot
07-08-10, 16:00

Don't "lend" stuff (of value) to friends. Either flat out don't, or give it to them.

Never saw my ipod headphones again. :)

scoopy_loopy
07-08-10, 16:03
I wouldn't say that, some people are good for it. I've lent hundreds to a friend of mine, and I've eventually gotten it all back.

Of course, I wouldn't have minded not ever getting it back - but I'm just saying. Don't be UBER tight just because you don't ever think you'll get back. Obviously don't give more than you can comfortably afford to, but if your friend has come looking for financial help - they're probably in bad shape already.

EgyptianSoul
07-08-10, 17:40

I agree wholeheartedly.

I've made it a principle of mine to never ever lend cds or dvds to friends. You cannot trust them to keep them clean.

Many times I have given movies for my friends to watch or cds for them to listen to and emphasized the importance to keep them in mint condition.
Oh no, when I got them back they were horribly scratched or had fingerprints or stains on them.

I will never ever again lend anybody anything I have purchased and want to keep in a good condition. You can't trust people to appreciate your stuff and the rules you lay out.

Phlip
07-08-10, 17:52
I don't see why people can't take care of other's stuff. And what are you supposed to say when someone asks to borrow something? "I have trust issues"? :(

EgyptianSoul
07-08-10, 17:59
I don't see why people can't take care of other's stuff. And what are you supposed to say when someone asks to borrow something? "I have trust issues"? :(

It is purely based on my personal experience. I haven't met even one person who has succesfully returned to me something that is mine unharmed.

Other people's experiences might be different.

Uzi master
07-08-10, 19:51
When in doubt: use a microwave!

Changeling
07-08-10, 20:22
A little bit of advice to all the students out there whose results may not be the best...

You're the one who creates and determines your life, not a small letter on an official bit of paper.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-08-10, 20:28
Follow your heart and never give up on hope :)

lara c. fan
07-08-10, 21:28
A little bit of advice to all the students out there whose results may not be the best...

You're the one who creates and determines your life, not a small letter on an official bit of paper.

Unless something in your life hinges on those grades, of course.

EDIT: Oh, advice.
Uh...Don't do drugs.

Dark Lugia 2
07-08-10, 21:33
About lending.. depends on how good your friends are I guess. I'm fully confident in borrowing films etc to mine, and borrowing dvds off people :p

I cant think of any advice to give though.. :o

Catracoth
07-08-10, 21:36
Here's a few pieces of memorable advice I've been given:

Always wear clean underwear.
Always count your change for yourself whilst making purchases.
Look both ways before crossing a high school hallway.
Finger bowls are for washing your fingers, not your palette.
If you see something weird, do not touch it. Run.

Changeling
08-08-10, 10:30
Unless something in your life hinges on those grades, of course.

It's not the end of the world if that letter comes through the door and the grades aren't what you wanted. If you really want the grades and you don't get them, then try again, whether it be through school or college. You're still going to reach your destination, you're just taking a longer route.

Cochrane
08-08-10, 10:44
Some more:

- Look out for anything meant to help disabled people, as it can help you do stuff faster as well. The patterned edges of Euro coins are a great example.
- Never listen to your iPod (or similar) when waiting for a train at a busy station. If you miss announcements and donít look at destination signs, you may find yourself ending up somewhere you really didnít want to go.
- Donít watch DVDs with subtitles in a train or similar if you mind people reading along.
- Make sure that all your electronic equipment is fully charged at the start of each day.
- Given a choice of carriers, avoid UPS, unless you are a business.
- If the petrol tank plug on an Alfa Romeo 147 doesnít go in properly, you have probably inserted it at an angle.
- The number of problems that cannot be solved with at most two E-mails is surprisingly low.

coolaideonfire
08-08-10, 11:10
Bad things were sent to try us and try us they may.

(ie. you may have negative experiences but they don't have to bring you down).

lunavixen
08-08-10, 13:12
no matter how different we all are, we all think we are above average drivers

Lara Croft!
08-08-10, 13:23
When packing for a trip no matter what you think the weather there is going to be, pack plenty of both warm and cold clothes.

When men start talking sports (especially when it comes to Greek and football) either try of a smart way to deviate the conversation to another topic, or shut your mouth and try to find something to do for the next half an hour (minimum)

Supply all bags that you take with you with tissues, a pen and some paper. Never know when you're gonna need it.