PDA

View Full Version : Colonisation in space or extinction...- Steven Hawlking

michaeldt
10-08-10, 00:27
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/world/7736688/humans-colonise-space-hawking/
Astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says the human race must colonise space in the next 200 years or face extinction.

In an interview with website Big Think the astrophysicist said he fears mankind is in great danger and it needs to colonise space in order to survive.

Professor Hawking argues threats to the human race, such as the 1963 Cuban missile crisis, will only increase in the future and plans should be established in order to deal with them.

"We shall need great care and judgment to negotiate them all successfully," he was quoted as saying.

"But I'm an optimist. If we can avoid disaster for the next two centuries, our species should be safe, as we spread into space."

He also warns increases in population and limited resources are making life on Earth more dangerous and the only way to capitalise on the progress of the last century was to move into space and towards the rest of the galaxy.

"That is why I'm in favour of manned, or should I say 'personed' [sic], space flight," he said.

Professor Hawking has previously warned that space exploration would not be without risk for humans.

So too, he has warned against humans making contact with aliens who he says mat not necessarily be friendly.

Catracoth
10-08-10, 00:31
Why? :confused:

interstellardave
10-08-10, 00:32
It's only logical to not put all your eggs in one basket. It doesn't have to be nuclear war; it could be an asteroid strike that wipes us away... or basalt flow eruptions... or one of the many cataclysms that have hit earth before and certainly will again, at some point in time.

Colonizing other worlds, though, will be extremely difficult and costly. It might take all of 200 years to really get something substantial done even starting right now.

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 00:33
Barring extreme things like a huge meteor and the Earth getting vaporized I don't think the human population will ever become extinct.

larafan25
10-08-10, 00:43
Barring extreme things like a huge meteor and the Earth getting vaporized I don't think the human population will ever become extinct.

If the population continued to increase and we couldn't magically produce more and more food and equally important items, eventually, in a very long time, the human race could die out.

However I don't think there will be such a shortage of space by the time we can travel to other planets, nor do I think we will run out of food, as we have some strange technology that can replicate things.

Chocola teapot
10-08-10, 00:45
I think He's Right, Who knows?

Whoever decides to go first is DAMN brave though.

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 00:46
If the population continued to increase and we couldn't magically produce more and more food and equally important items, eventually, in a very long time, the human race could die out.No, it wouldn't die out. Numbers would go down obviously but eventually we'd get to point where the would be enough resources again.

larafan25
10-08-10, 00:49
No, it wouldn't die out. Numbers would go down obviously but eventually we'd get to point where the would be enough resources again.

Your right, say we get to about 5 people left on earth, things will continue to grow, and we can eat grass and stuff, I mean people already enjoy salad.

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 00:51
Your right, say we get to about 5 people left on earth, things will continue to grow, and we can eat grass and stuff, I mean people already enjoy salad.:confused:

What I was saying was that a lot of people would die from hunger but then as the human population becomes smaller there would be more food per person available.

Uzi master
10-08-10, 00:51
too many humans + not enough food = canniballism/death. just saying.

Drone
10-08-10, 04:11
Old news, I remember I've seen this on discovery channel. Mr. Hawking speaks truth as always. This planet will get destroyed sooner than human race extincts. It's logically people will look for other planet to live on. I hope people will have time to invent an effective fuel/interstellar ship or even teleportation through the wormholes.

wantafanta
10-08-10, 04:33
After that BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, anything can happen. There is Uranium missing and nobody knows who has got it. If terrorists ever craft a bomb from it, that could set off a war. Or some bio-engineered bug could escape a weapons lab and infect us all. Or global warming could come faster and worse than predicted and coastal cities could be flooded like New Orleans was.
But I don't see space as the answer. How can you move a billion people to another world. And there are no habitable planets in our solar system. And even if inter-stellar travel could be possible, which I don't believe it ever will be, what good is that? You still have to move millions of Earth survivors.
Most likely, now matter how uncomfortable and undesirable life becomes here on earth, it still would beat living in a metal box on the moon.

Alpharaider47
10-08-10, 05:04
After that BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico, anything can happen. There is Uranium missing and nobody knows who has got it. If terrorists ever craft a bomb from it, that could set off a war. Or some bio-engineered bug could escape a weapons lab and infect us all. Or global warming could come faster and worse than predicted and coastal cities could be flooded like New Orleans was.
But I don't see space as the answer. How can you move a billion people to another world. And there are no habitable planets in our solar system. And even if inter-stellar travel could be possible, which I don't believe it ever will be, what good is that? You still have to move millions of Earth survivors.
Most likely, now matter how uncomfortable and undesirable life becomes here on earth, it still would beat living in a metal box on the moon.

But if all your kids know is a metal box on the moon then it becomes much more easy to accept a life in space. I think it would take a lot of adapting, a lot of sacrificing. Strikes me as kind of living the life of a nomad. Eventually you're bound to come across something habitable right? I mean it's a big universe out there, and as time goes on if you're living in/on ships you're bound to find ways of making them more efficient.

aktrekker
10-08-10, 05:08
I already suggested in another thread that man is headed for extinction. Everyone laughed.
Now Stephen Hawking says it as well. Suddenly everyone starts to pay attention.

Maybe you should all learn to listen to me :ton:

Alpharaider47
10-08-10, 05:11
I already suggested in another thread that man is headed for extinction. Everyone laughed.
Now Stephen Hawking says it as well. Suddenly everyone starts to pay attention.

Maybe you should all learn to listen to me :ton:

I'm surprised people are even surprised that we're heading for extinction :vlol: You'd think after 1945 it would've been clear as day.

Tony9595
10-08-10, 05:16
Nah! The world will end on 2012 :ohn:

aktrekker
10-08-10, 05:20
Which time zone?

Tony9595
10-08-10, 05:24
Gmt -5

aktrekker
10-08-10, 05:27
Once it starts, travel in the opposite direction of Earth's rotation. You'll cross the International date line into tomorrow, after it happened. That's how you survive an apocalypse.

Alpharaider47
10-08-10, 05:30
Once it starts, travel in the opposite direction of Earth's rotation. You'll cross the International date line into tomorrow, after it happened. That's how you survive an apocalypse.
I've often thought about that :p but then if the earth gets destroyed you still die :vlol: Although it will give someone enough time to make an "I survived the apocalypse" t-shirt :p

Tony9595
10-08-10, 05:31
Bright minds will certainly survive :tmb:

Killercowz
10-08-10, 05:50
What if we all live underground. LOL kidding. kthxbi

NemesisX13X
10-08-10, 05:52
200 years? I'll be dead by then.

Tyrannosaurus
10-08-10, 06:43
Space travel will always be an extremely expensive, time-consuming, and costly endeavor, so much so that I don't think colonizing another planet will ever be a practical solution for anything.

aktrekker
10-08-10, 07:21
Everyone ignores my General Science and Math thread. But check my last post in the thread.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=170537

It links to an article discussing experiments in growing plants with soil from the moon. It lays the groundwork for farming on the moon and other planets.

michaeldt
10-08-10, 07:28
What if we all live underground. LOL kidding. kthxbi

if we lived underground and lets say a meteorite hit earth, Magma would still burn us underground

Edit: lol, didn't see the white text! :vlol:

Ikas90
10-08-10, 08:04
And this is what humanity has to resort to to survive.

Avalon SARL
10-08-10, 08:41
Oh well.. We are all dead by that time... :p

But, still I don't think it will be easy to travel into space...
Even 200 years from now...

Who guarantees that the space is a stable and safe place... Earth is the most suitable planet for survival... Anywhere else is not as practical
:confused:

sandygrimm
10-08-10, 08:45
Everyone ignores my General Science and Math thread. But check my last post in the thread.
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=170537

It links to an article discussing experiments in growing plants with soil from the moon. It lays the groundwork for farming on the moon and other planets.

They did find more water on he moon than previously thought;) Chances are they already have something cooking. You know how paranoic goverments get when it's talk of war or global disaster.:p

Avalon SARL
10-08-10, 09:08
Well something always makes me wonder...

That by searching fir life in other planets...
What if some sort of lving things in other planets don't necessarily live the same way we do... maybe they dont need oxygen or whatsoever to live... maybe they dont need water... what if they breathed co2 and died of oxygen :p
maybe they dont breath at all...
lo.l... just some stupid thoughts in my brain :p
dont know how valid they may be, but maybe,????

digitizedboy
10-08-10, 10:10
Wouldn't this idea just be for VIPs though? You know, like scientists, doctors, government leaders, royalty.. etc... While the rest of us can go to hell

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 11:02
And this is what humanity has to resort to to survive.You're quite welcome to stay behind.

Ikas90
10-08-10, 11:08
You're quite welcome to stay behind.

Oh I think I will. I'll have the whole planet to myself then, and when the planet heals, none of you will be allowed back. ;)

ryan91
10-08-10, 11:11
if i had a coconut for everytime some lunatic said something like that

Dark Lugia 2
10-08-10, 12:47
-

Chocola teapot
10-08-10, 12:49
200 years? I'll be dead by then.

But you're a vampire....

:p

kooky
10-08-10, 13:04
I have heard something like this from him before, but I don't know how were going to colonize space in the next 200 years as humans don't have any plans as of now. Besides the earth, the only places we could colonize in our solar system is our moon, mars & the moons of the gas giants, we can't colonize Venus or Mercury due to the fact that they're too hot & if global warming continues to be as it is, Earth could eventually be a second Venus imo. :/

Dustie
10-08-10, 13:10
Umm... frankly, I don't really care. I won't even be alive by then. If I'm alive when eventual crisis happens, it's not like I'm going to get on board right away. I want to live until I'm 40 and after that, seriously... I'm in God's hands ;)

We all go back to cosmos anyway, to the darkness, emptiness and silence.

Capt. Murphy
10-08-10, 13:17
As long as there are still things like wars, disease, drugs, and rap music; that should help hedge the human population every now and then. :-/

Tonyrobinson
10-08-10, 13:29
I wonder if he could invent a de-ager so we could stick around for another 200 years and find out. I wanna live on Pandora! :D

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 13:37
Oh I think I will. I'll have the whole planet to myself then, and when the planet heals, none of you will be allowed back. ;)Yeah you can go and be at one with nature by getting yourself eaten by some lions. Oh, and if you want to defend yourself you have to use your bare hands. No guns or weapons allowed (technology).

Smog
10-08-10, 13:43
Far apart from the whole Extinction Of Humankind thing, colonising space in the next 200 years would just be downright awesome. Unfortunately, we don't even have a friggin' Moon base yet, however.

patriots88888
10-08-10, 13:43
Steven Hawlking gets more credit than I believe he deserves. From what I have heard from him (and I've heard plenty) he doesn't come across as any more profound than any other philosophical thinkers. If not for his affliction, I don't believe that would be the case.

But if all your kids know is a metal box on the moon then it becomes much more easy to accept a life in space.

Speaking only for myself, that would make it all the more less likely to want to accept it. Especially when they learn of mankinds' previous home. I'm quite certain they would resent the fact that their predecessors ****ed everything up to the point that they now have to live on some barren rock in space.

Alpharaider47
10-08-10, 16:01
Speaking only for myself, that would make it all the more less likely to want to accept it. Especially when they learn of mankinds' previous home. I'm quite certain they would resent the fact that their predecessors ****ed everything up to the point that they now have to live on some barren rock in space.

There's that too, but they'd have kids(likely) and so on, eventually stories of Earth would be just that - stories.

freeze10108
10-08-10, 16:18
Biologically speaking, this mass extinction would require some drastic cataclysm (like mentioned previously), like a meteor (dinosaurs), coming of a drastic weather change, or some sort of mass genocide (like the Holocaust on crack).

Otherwise, the populations should adapt to the amount of resources available. Look at this graph:

http://i38.************/2mqlz4h.jpg

It's a rather simple sketch I did really quickly (and kind of poorly :p) in GIMP, however, it models a population of species. In the beginning, there are plentiful resources and the population rapidly increases, at a rate that the environment can't keep up with. Eventually, there aren't enough resources to support the population, so some start dying off and the population falls. Eventually, there are enough resources to support the population again, and it increases. Thus, the cycle begins anew. The fluctuations will decrease over time, but the function will continue to oscillate. It will zero in on the maximum supported population (the horizontal line near the top of the graph).

We should be focusing more on the environment after the Gulf Oil Spill, as it was a catastrophe we don't want to have happen again, and we can see the damage it did. It should act as an eye-opener and renew a focus on the environment.

On the other hand, if we do come to this needing to move to space due to the inhabitability of earth, does anyone else think it may be like WALL-E (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0910970/)? :whi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
10-08-10, 16:27
Even a country like China is expected to experience negative population growth by 2030... Many industrialized countries will experience the same thing. The US population growth is close to replacement, honestly the only country that could continue to grow past 2030 is India.

REF (http://geography.about.com/od/populationgeography/a/chinapopulation.htm)

thecentaur
10-08-10, 16:31
I wonder if he could invent a de-ager so we could stick around for another 200 years and find out. I wanna live on Pandora! :D

It has a toxic atmosphere :pi: rofl

aktrekker
10-08-10, 17:53
What if some sort of lving things in other planets don't necessarily live the same way we do... maybe they dont need oxygen or whatsoever to live... maybe they dont need water... what if they breathed co2 and died of oxygen :p
Plants breathe CO2 and give off oxygen for us to breathe.

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=4807395&postcount=35

Avalon SARL
10-08-10, 19:54
It reminds me of this :D

http://blogs.theage.com.au/schembri/walle3.png

http://3aymun.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/wall-e.jpg

Mytly
10-08-10, 20:53
Oh great, more doomsaying, and from a respected scientist to boot. Why doesn't he just say 'Repent or the world will end!' or something along those lines? :rolleyes:

Not that I disagree with the idea of space exploration - but it shouldn't be done because of scaremongering of this kind. The best reason to explore space is because of the best of human traits - our desire to know the unknown, to extend our limits, to be pioneers - not the worst ones, i.e. our self-destructive habits.

Ikas90
10-08-10, 21:38
Yeah you can go and be at one with nature by getting yourself eaten by some lions. Oh, and if you want to defend yourself you have to use your bare hands. No guns or weapons allowed (technology).

At least I'll die by a natural cause. Never said I had a problem.

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 21:45
At least I'll die by a natural cause. Never said I had a problem.Why not just... not die?

Ikas90
10-08-10, 21:48
Why not just... not die?

Lol.

Truth be told, I'd go with the humans. I'm far too weak to live a completely natural lifestyle, even though that's the way I believe we should all be living.

Mad Tony
10-08-10, 21:56
Lol.

Truth be told, I'd go with the humans. I'm far too weak to live a completely natural lifestyle, even though that's the way I believe we should all be living.I still find that weird. If you believe we should all be living like that you can't make us do it but you can live like it yourself.

Quasimodo
11-08-10, 02:36
Y'all might find this presentation (http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_porco_flies_us_to_saturn.html) interesting, it's about two of Saturn's moons: one has earth-like geological formations and the other is believed to have organisms.

Lizard of Oz
11-08-10, 03:22
I would totally volunteer to be experimented on sending me to another planet with a small group of people, even if there is a very low chance of survival. We can like set up a tiny base to make sure future people can survive, or if it's inhospitable, oh well, somebody has do it :)

patriots88888
11-08-10, 03:27
How very noble of you. As for myself, not a chance... this rock is good enough for me.

Changeling
11-08-10, 09:33
^ Ditto.

lunavixen
11-08-10, 12:14
i won't be alive and i don't plan on having kids, but who knows, maybe it'll happen, maybe it won't. you never know

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-08-10, 12:17
Y'all might find this presentation (http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_porco_flies_us_to_saturn.html) interesting, it's about two of Saturn's moons: one has earth-like geological formations and the other is believed to have organisms.

How's the beer?

Dark Lugia 2
11-08-10, 12:21
Oh great, more doomsaying, and from a respected scientist to boot. Why doesn't he just say 'Repent or the world will end!' or something along those lines? :rolleyes:

Hes just giving his view on what he feels is inevitable for our survival... nothing doomsaying. :p

Its weird how many people are so ready to laugh at Hawking for suggesting something like this. Hes not an idiot, hes more educated in this area than the vast majority that are criticising him.

Niveus
11-08-10, 12:39
Has anyone ever heard of terraforming? It's a very real thing, and it used to be assumed like 150 years would be needed, but they've thoughtof "theoretical" ways to make it as quick a process as 20 years. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terraforming

Bodies under scrutiny do include Venus and Mercury... it's all vry theoretical, :o, but I believe that this makes the idea of "moving" to another planet much more comfortable and... well, paradisical. :D

interstellardave
11-08-10, 13:26
Terraforming can't counter all the issues involved with moving to another planet, though. The Earths' magnetic field, for instance, has a huge effect on life here--and it's sustainability. Planets like Mars, for instance, which is close in nature to the earth in many ways, has an extremely weak magnetic field. That is a major problem when you're talking about life there (except under bunker-like conditions).

Sgt BOMBULOUS
11-08-10, 13:56
Terraforming can't counter all the issues involved with moving to another planet, though. The Earths' magnetic field, for instance, has a huge effect on life here--and it's sustainability. Planets like Mars, for instance, which is close in nature to the earth in many ways, has an extremely weak magnetic field. That is a major problem when you're talking about life there (except under bunker-like conditions).

Magnetic field, and just as important, our moon. If we didn't have a satellite as large as the moon we'd have drastic climate shifts all the time since the planet wouldn't have a stable Z-axis.

aktrekker
11-08-10, 19:34
I don't think terraforming an entire planet will happen any time soon.
I don't see a problem with underground buildings. They're more energy efficient anyway. We should use them more on Earth.
Plants can provide oxygen and filter out CO2.
The only thing left is a long-term source of energy that is low maintenance and produces little or no dangerous by-product.

If we did try to terraform a planet, I think Venus would be our best chance. Without the greenhouse effect it would be much cooler, though probably warmer than we are used to. It already has a thick atmosphere. Once the atmosphere is cleaned out it will probably be easier to breathe there than it is here. It most likely has land as well as ocean (probably acidic). But there may very well be large deposits of water that could be potable after treatment.
But so far we haven't been able to get a probe to the surface. The atmosphere destroys the probes pretty quickly.

Ikas90
11-08-10, 19:37
Apparently if we built a city in the upper clouds of Venus, it would be habitable. They say that oxygen is a lifting gas on Venus in the same way that helium is a lifting gas on Earth. Also the atmospheric pressure would be equal to what we experience on earth. And the temperature will be earth-like.

Uzi master
11-08-10, 20:03
hmmm.... maybe that's where the jetsons live?:p

I meen we never see the ground, maybe they just renamed venus earth:p

Alpharaider47
11-08-10, 20:05
Apparently if we built a city in the upper clouds of Venus, it would be habitable. They say that oxygen is a lifting gas on Venus in the same way that helium is a lifting gas on Earth. Also the atmospheric pressure would be equal to what we experience on earth. And the temperature will be earth-like.

Hehe Cloud City anybody? Lemme call Lando :p

Catracoth
11-08-10, 22:33

Words of wisdom.

Super Badnik
11-08-10, 23:09
Yeah yeah, we're always on the edge of extinction, if it isn't the whole man-made Global Warming myth it's that we're on the verge of blowing each other up. I suppose it could happen though, but I think we should probably be working towards peace more, rather than simply moving to another planet to blow each other up. Moving probably wont solve our issues for very long.

aktrekker
11-08-10, 23:36
Of course it won't solve our problems.

I'm surprised nobody has seen the irony here.
We are the evil aliens that trash a planet then move on to the next.

Minty Mouth
11-08-10, 23:44
I don't think we're going anywhere. It all seems rather sensationalised to me. Even so for Stephen Hawking.

Alpharaider47
12-08-10, 00:03
Of course it won't solve our problems.

It's Wall-e/Independence Day! That's an interesting point though, I mean we're certainly working on trashing this planet that's for sure.

lunavixen
12-08-10, 06:53
I don't think terraforming an entire planet will happen any time soon.
I don't see a problem with underground buildings. They're more energy efficient anyway. We should use them more on Earth.
Plants can provide oxygen and filter out CO2.
The only thing left is a long-term source of energy that is low maintenance and produces little or no dangerous by-product.

If we did try to terraform a planet, I think Venus would be our best chance. Without the greenhouse effect it would be much cooler, though probably warmer than we are used to. It already has a thick atmosphere. Once the atmosphere is cleaned out it will probably be easier to breathe there than it is here. It most likely has land as well as ocean (probably acidic). But there may very well be large deposits of water that could be potable after treatment.
But so far we haven't been able to get a probe to the surface. The atmosphere destroys the probes pretty quickly.

actually, Mars would be better, the atmosphere of Venus is toxic and the atmospheric pressure would kill humans, besides, Mars has ice on it, melt ice and you have water, all you'd have to do is run it through a purifier and presto, drinking water, besides, humans are usually (don't quote me here) more tolerant to the cold than to the heat

@Ikas, how would you get a city into Venus' upper clouds? the atmosphere in Venus is corrosive and toxic we haven't really invented floating cities yet so?

aktrekker
12-08-10, 16:28
Venus would be better.
By reversing the greenhouse effect the toxins in the atmosphere could be filtered out naturally.
This would also lower the atmospheric pressure. It's the heavier gases and toxins in the atmosphere that make it so heavy.
It's almost the exact same size and mass as Earth. Gravity is almost exactly the same. It's warm enough, has enough atmosphere, and most certainly has some liquid water (or at least is able to support liquid water). It's closer to Earth. It's also closer to the sun, so solar energy would be much more effective. Plants would grow better as well.

Mars is too cold in general, doesn't have enough of an atmosphere, and the reduced gravity can cause health problems. It's also farther away than Venus and would require more energy to get there.

But if we could figure out how to reverse greenhouse effects we could do it with Earth.

Mytly
12-08-10, 20:20
Hmm, sounds like a sci-fi short story that I feel I have read, but can't remember anything substantial about it. :o

aktrekker
12-08-10, 21:44
Perhaps it reminds you a little bit of Avatar?

Mad Tony
12-08-10, 21:54
Urgh, don't remind of Avatar. That did nothing to help quell the anti-human sentiment that is so often expressed on here. It just made it worse.