PDA

View Full Version : New car!! Question though

wadej88
11-08-10, 00:33
Hey guys, I just bought a 1988 Toyota Celica sx, top of the line model for australia, with electric everything, plenty of power and it's in awesome condition. Though I have a question, the car has had the rust repaired on the sunroof, but I'm certain that the rust will come back, because it rains onto half the car when it's parked in the carport haha. It's also always parked over a puddle about an inch deep, unless I sweep it out.

My question is.... Will the car rust or corrode if it's parked over water? And is there any prevention methods I could undertake to prevent the sunroof fromrusting again?

Mr.Burns
11-08-10, 00:40
Rust is oxidation of metal, usually due to moisture. So yea, it could come back, especially if there isn't any form of undercoating under the car. As for the roof, if the repair job included a new layer of paint and clear coat, the likelihood is lower but still always possible. If the rust damage has not been painted over, then yea, it'll come back.

patriots88888
11-08-10, 00:56
Fun fact:

Your vehicle is much more likely to rust and corrode parked in the garage during Winter months than it is when parked outside (well, at least for us in western NY where salt is used for icy roads). I just found this out recently.

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-maintenance/car-rust-protection-your-guide-to-preventing-car-rust

wadej88
11-08-10, 01:45
Haha, thanks for the quick response, it's acually winter here at the moment, doesent snow or anything, an where it's parked is just covering it, so itsnit a garage or anything. I should invest in a car cover r somehing lol

lunavixen
11-08-10, 11:54
Hey guys, I just bought a 1988 Toyota Celica sx, top of the line model for australia, with electric everything, plenty of power and it's in awesome condition. Though I have a question, the car has had the rust repaired on the sunroof, but I'm certain that the rust will come back, because it rains onto half the car when it's parked in the carport haha. It's also always parked over a puddle about an inch deep, unless I sweep it out.

My question is.... Will the car rust or corrode if it's parked over water? And is there any prevention methods I could undertake to prevent the sunroof fromrusting again?

how bad is the rust? was it spot rust or layer rust? (FYI layer rust, very bad. spot rust, not so bad) also are you coastal or inland? what is the condition of the rest of the paintwork?

if the rust isn't extensive, (i.e. small areas of spot rust) i'd just have it ground out and repainted (undercoat and top coat). if the rust is pretty extensive in several areas, i'd have the whole car's paint stripped and resprayed (undercoat and top coat) to prevent the rust from coming back. the water generally won't affect cars if its fresh water or low salt rain water (which rain water usually is). Salt water is the reall car killer. if you live coastally and the rain gathers, keep it away as it WILL damage your car worse, if i was you, i'd try and find a way to keep the water that gathers under your carport from gathering as water as a whole can do damage to the brakes and tyres over time.

car covers won't protect the underside of the car, which if the water has high salt content in it, will rust the underside of your car which can be disasterous

wadej88
11-08-10, 14:09
how bad is the rust? was it spot rust or layer rust? (FYI layer rust, very bad. spot rust, not so bad) also are you coastal or inland? what is the condition of the rest of the paintwork?

if the rust isn't extensive, (i.e. small areas of spot rust) i'd just have it ground out and repainted (undercoat and top coat). if the rust is pretty extensive in several areas, i'd have the whole car's paint stripped and resprayed (undercoat and top coat) to prevent the rust from coming back. the water generally won't affect cars if its fresh water or low salt rain water (which rain water usually is). Salt water is the reall car killer. if you live coastally and the rain gathers, keep it away as it WILL damage your car worse, if i was you, i'd try and find a way to keep the water that gathers under your carport from gathering as water as a whole can do damage to the brakes and tyres over time.

car covers won't protect the underside of the car, which if the water has high salt content in it, will rust the underside of your car which can be disasterous

The rust on the sunroof is in small bits, nothing like too extensive, I can tell its been repaired before, but yeah aound the side small cm's of rust are appearing again.

I live inland and the water that puddles in the carport is rainwater, though im going to make the effort to swish it all out to the park next door, also because its a tad dangerous to be driving with wet shoes :S
Can anyone provide me with information on who could fix rust? (What is their job called?! lol)

Cochrane
11-08-10, 14:26
Absolutely any larger car repair shop should be able to deal with rust issues easily, but body shops (not to be confused with beauty product chain The Body Shop) specialize in stuff like that.

lunavixen
12-08-10, 07:00
The rust on the sunroof is in small bits, nothing like too extensive, I can tell its been repaired before, but yeah aound the side small cm's of rust are appearing again.

I live inland and the water that puddles in the carport is rainwater, though im going to make the effort to swish it all out to the park next door, also because its a tad dangerous to be driving with wet shoes :S
Can anyone provide me with information on who could fix rust? (What is their job called?! lol)

thats spot rust then, it can be ground out with an angle grinder, my dad did the stuff on my car (which has had very little given its age) a panel beater can grind out the rust and respray the body, depending on how long it takes and the extent of the work needing to be done will influence how much it costs, do shop around for a good deal, and don't let the panelbeater walk over you, let him know EXACTLY what you want or he'll try and upsell you

wadej88
14-08-10, 01:31
Thanks guys :)
Ill enquire with a few places to get the few spots removed ;-)