PDA

View Full Version : People told to stop singing the National Anthem at the Lincoln Memorial

CiaKonwerski
11-08-10, 06:18
Can you all believe this? A security guard came up to people who were singing the National Anthem at the Lincoln Memorial, and told them to be quiet. I am glad that they continued singing anyway. What are your thoughts on this?

http://firstpatriots.com/video-hit-parade/students-asked-to-stop-singing-the-national-anthem-at-the-lincoln-memorial/

Alpharaider47
11-08-10, 06:24
Well I'm not the most patriotic person in this nation for various reasons :p but they're singing the US National Anthem, at a US President's memorial, in the US. I don't see what's wrong with them showing a little patriotism, it's not like it's doing anybody any harm, is it?
Just the idea of people not being able to show their support for their country, like that issue with the kids wearing t-shirts with US flags awhile back, really bothers me. I may not exercise it myself, but I think people deserve that much.

Uzi master
11-08-10, 06:25
have I mentioned how I disslike excessive patriotism?

CiaKonwerski
11-08-10, 06:27
Well I'm not the most patriotic person in this nation for various reasons :p but they're singing the US National Anthem, at a US President's memorial, in the US. I don't see what's wrong with them showing a little patriotism, it's not like it's doing anybody any harm, is it?
Just the idea of people not being able to show their support for their country, like that issue with the kids wearing t-shirts with US flags awhile back, really bothers me. I may not exercise it myself, but I think people deserve that much.

AGREED 100% of the way Alpha. :D

Alpharaider47
11-08-10, 06:28
have I mentioned how I disslike excessive patriotism?

I fail to see how singing the national anthem for one's country in a memorial site is excessive. Now, my friend who collects firearms and frequently makes verbal assaults against communism could be considered excessively patriotic :p

Cochrane
11-08-10, 07:49
I donít know, whatís the accepted standard there? My impression of the Lincoln Memorial was that it was almost a church or a temple in the way it was built. And if you started singing songs in a church, even if it were religious songs, I could see how people would be annoyed by that.

aktrekker
11-08-10, 08:06
Believe it or not there are many cities where you need a permit for that.
It's easy to get and usually free, but you still need the permit. Not sure about DC though.

Dina_Croft
11-08-10, 08:26
He Did WHAT?!

[Oversize GIF removed]

Lol maybe the security guard had a headache?

I'm just saying.:vlol:

Mad Tony
11-08-10, 10:19
have I mentioned how I disslike excessive patriotism?No, you just hate even being remotely proud of your country. This isn't excessive patriotism.

scoopy_loopy
11-08-10, 11:09
What... they just starting signing without any music or anything - totally impromptu?

I would have been seriously off put! :vlol:

lunavixen
11-08-10, 11:39
we have an ex-services club that plays the 'last post' at 6pm every night, it's the only one that i know of here that does, but was the singing on a memorial day? if it was, wasn't the guard being disrespectful? i see, the memorial is like a church building? if it is, the students hearts were in the right place, but their heads weren't entirely there

knightgames
11-08-10, 12:15
Maybe they were just terrible singers. Ever think of THAT? HUH?!!? :ton:

IDK. People get PEE-OOHed about everything patriotic today. There was a gym where the owner had a flag hanging on the wall and some complained that it was like a Jewish person being forced to look at a crucifix while doing their power crunches and demanded that he remove the flag.

He didn't.

People are hyper-sensitive about everything these days.

Mad Tony
11-08-10, 12:24
Maybe they were just terrible singers. Ever think of THAT? HUH?!!? :ton:

IDK. People get PEE-OOHed about everything patriotic today. There was a gym where the owner had a flag hanging on the wall and some complained that it was like a Jewish person being forced to look at a crucifix while doing their power crunches and demanded that he remove the flag.

He didn't.

People are hyper-sensitive about everything these days.You get that in America too? I always assumed it was something that only happened over here.

knightgames
11-08-10, 12:26
You get that in America too? I always assumed it was something that only happened over here.

YUP. Sad huh?

There was one where a WW2 hero (not your average soldier but a decorated hero) was forced to remove his flag from his own property. The guy was in his upper 80s and supposedly he was breaking ordinances of some kind.

SamReeves
11-08-10, 15:25
I'm going to get a permit to fart in my front yard. Uhm noÖ

Mr. Rent-a-cop must have come from Soviet Russia! ;)

scion05
11-08-10, 15:41
I don't really know why you'd get the urge to burst into song infront of a statue anyway to tell you the truth... Then again, they are in a group lol, so it's a little more normal. If there were only a few of them it'd be more hillarious than anything.

Super Badnik
11-08-10, 16:49
have I mentioned how I disslike excessive patriotism?Uh, I know, Americans seem to have an unhealthy obession with their country. Still though, they have every right to sing the national anthem IMO. Its not as if they were singing it loudley at night outside peoples' houses. Maybe the secruity guard was getting annoyed at them.

MattTR
11-08-10, 16:54
I don't think there's anything wrong with it, I'm glad they kept singing. :D

Mad Tony
11-08-10, 16:58
Uh, I know, Americans seem to have an unhealthy obession with their country.I wouldn't call it that. From my observations as an outsider they're just really proud of their country. I wish we could be more like America in our showing of patriotism (I'd love to see more British flags around) but unfortunately we seem to have ingrained in us that being proud of your country is bad (accept in sports of course).

scion05
11-08-10, 17:06
I'd be prouder of my country if I truly felt I loved it, but I don't. This country is the pits.

Mad Tony
11-08-10, 17:11
I'd be prouder of my country if I truly felt I loved it, but I don't. This country is the pits.How exactly?

The grass is always greener on the other side. I've heard a lot of people remark about how much places like Australia and Spain are compared to this country but they too have their fair share of problems (especially Spain).

scion05
11-08-10, 17:27
Oh I know everywhere else has it's issues aswell, but this place just ****es me off royally. Over the top political correctness, a severely corrupt government who fail to keep their promises and aren't even clever enough to cover up their own mistakes. Being involved in a war that's going nowhere and has been officially "over" for time now. Then there's all the crap we hear about happening in the papers. This happens everywhere I understand that, and don't even pretend to understand politics, but I just don't see anything to feel proud of. Certain individuals yes, but as a whole, the country is just a total dive.

Mad Tony
11-08-10, 17:29
Oh I know everywhere else has it's issues aswell, but this place just ****es me off royally. Over the top political correctness, a severely corrupt government who fail to keep their promises and aren't even clever enough to cover up their own mistakes. Being involved in a war that's going nowhere and has been officially "over" for time now. Then there's all the crap we hear about happening in the papers. This happens everywhere I understand that, and don't even pretend to understand politics, but I just don't see anything to feel proud of. Certain individuals yes, but as a whole,the country is just a total dive.The political correctness ****es me off too but most other western countries are exactly the same. As for corrupt governments - which government isn't corrupt? The wars, well you're either going to agree with them or not so I'll just skip that. I think a lot of being proud of where you were born is about showing unity with the rest of the nation. It's also about being proud of your country's achievements - and let's face it, this country has achieved a lot.

If this country is a dive then I dread to think what the rest of the world is.

Alpharaider47
11-08-10, 17:56
I think a lot of being proud of where you were born is about showing unity with the rest of the nation. It's also about being proud of your country's achievements - and let's face it, this country has achieved a lot.

See and I think that's the number one reason I've got little pride in this country, I wasn't even born here :vlol: But I respect the people who find something about this country to be proud of. What's interesting(to me at least) is that most of the people I know who could be considered excessively patriotic prefer the US of around late 1945 up til Reagan.

Cochrane
11-08-10, 20:26

Being better than others does not necessarily mean that one is good already. As an example, the german railroad system beats or is equal to almost every other rail system in the world, with very few exceptions. Does this mean it delivers acceptable quality? Hell no. There are countless issues I could mention if you had time (and were interested).

Capt. Murphy
11-08-10, 20:31
I heard... It was last week. Some people were told they couldn't say a prayer outside the Supreme Court. :confused:

Not being able to sing the national anthem... Anywhere in America. Now that is just a tad strange. >:-/

Edit: okay. This wasn't just anywhere. But of most places?! Seriously. :mad:

patriots88888
11-08-10, 20:37
I heard... It was last week. Some people were told they couldn't say a prayer outside the Supreme Court. :confused:

Not being able to sing the national anthem... Anywhere in America. Now that is just a tad strange. >:-/

I think the reason for this was because it was organized (even if it wasn't by many). I can't see someone singing aloud to themselves being told to stop... although that might come across as a bit strange to do so.

Usually, things of this nature are a direct result of a purpose or cause and I haven't seen anything which indicates this, so yea, it is a bit out of the ordinary to say the least. :/

CiaKonwerski
11-08-10, 21:34
The location is what bothers me the most, I mean being told to stop singing this country's song at one of the greatest memorials of this country's history just makes me peeved. Even if it was all-together and not just one person, what does that really matter? If it were perhaps some sort of cult-ish chant or something, then sure they should be told to stop, but it wasn't. It was the freaking National Anthem. One or many should be able to sing it wherever they want I say.

Cochrane
11-08-10, 22:26
But what about people who just want to quietly pray to Lincoln there? (Or whatever it is you do at a presidential memorial. Iíve seen them as a tourist and found them rather strange)

Catracoth
11-08-10, 22:28
The security guard probably considered them to be causing a commotion. I don't see anything wrong with them singing though, unless they were singing at an inappropriate volume.

Capt. Murphy
11-08-10, 22:30
But what about people who just want to quietly pray to Lincoln there? (Or whatever it is you do at a presidential memorial. Iíve seen them as a tourist and found them rather strange)

:vlol: I highly doubt anyone actually prays to statues of dead presidents. But if they did - they'd probably leave offerings like bouquets and teddy bears or whatever.

Or better yet. Pennies and $5.00 bills. :D

Alpharaider47
11-08-10, 22:33
:vlol: I highly doubt anyone actually prays to statues of dead presidents. But if they did - they'd probably leave offerings like bouquets and teddy bears or whatever.

Or better yet. Pennies and $5.00 bills. :D

Oh that's priceless :vlol:

patriots88888
11-08-10, 22:40

I don't know, I mean, what specifically about them are you inquiring? Obviously to get the correct answer you would have to ask each and every one of them individually. My guess is that many just walk up to the memorial for the tourist aspect of it... have a look, take their piccie (if that's allowed, I'm not 100% sure of this), and maybe have a few moments of reflection upon whichever president it happens to be.

CiaKonwerski
11-08-10, 23:10
From just recently coming back from D.C. (only living two hours away). That is mainly what people do. They tour the memorial, (walk around it, take pictures, read the texts, etc). I have never specifically heard people sing or pray before, but some do. They most likely pray about why it was built there, and pray for the people who were lost such as with the Vietnam memorial etc. I still see no harm in those young students singing. It was very patriotic of them and once again, I am glad that they continued. No one should ever be allowed to take your patriotism away.

knightgames
12-08-10, 00:18
The location is what bothers me the most, I mean being told to stop singing this country's song at one of the greatest memorials of this country's history just makes me peeved. Even if it was all-together and not just one person, what does that really matter? If it were perhaps some sort of cult-ish chant or something, then sure they should be told to stop, but it wasn't. It was the freaking National Anthem. One or many should be able to sing it wherever they want I say.

And yet the Westboro Baptist Church can spout their hatred with the full protection of the Constitution. Some things make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

Alpharaider47
12-08-10, 00:24
And yet the Westboro Baptist Church can spout their hatred with the full protection of the Constitution. Some things make you go, "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm."

And apparently the Constitution grants illegal immigrants rights too now :vlol:

CiaKonwerski
12-08-10, 01:36
And apparently the Constitution grants illegal immigrants rights too now :vlol:

I know right. Damn morons.

Alpharaider47
12-08-10, 01:37
I know right. Damn morons.

Oh well, in the end the government will only have themselves to blame. People need to wake up and realise that the government serves them, not the other way around. But this isn't the thread for that =/

Capt. Murphy
12-08-10, 13:56
I heard about this on the radio last night. They said there's a city ordinance that when within so many feet or yards(?) of a national monument - there can be no.... (how to say it?) like, One Sided view promoting anything. I guess this can range from anything like chanting Lincoln! Lincoln! or U.S.A, U.S.A.. :rolleyes:

Dennis's Mom
12-08-10, 14:32
But how is singing the The Star Spangled Banner promoting only one side of anything? America stands for "freedom" which sort of implies it stands for "all sides".

Bizarre. It's not that long a song really, unless you sing all four verses which I doubt they would do. Many Americans don't even know all of the first verse.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
12-08-10, 14:44
Let's not forget we have a "president" who couldn't be bothered to participate in the ceremony of the unknown soldier on Memorial day... He probably has all guards under strict orders to quell any signs of patriotism whatsoever.

CiaKonwerski
12-08-10, 20:25
Didn't he go on vacation instead? Geez....how rude..

Alpharaider47
12-08-10, 20:27
Let's not forget we have a "president" who couldn't be bothered to participate in the ceremony of the unknown soldier on Memorial day... He probably has all guards under strict orders to quell any signs of patriotism whatsoever.

I wouldn't doubt it =/