PDA

View Full Version : Photos reveal where you live

aktrekker
13-08-10, 02:37
Any pictures you take with a GPS-enabled camera or phone contain the GPS location where the photo was taken. If you take a picture at home and post it online it is possible for someone to find out where you live.
The so-called geotag is invisible when viewing the picture. But the information is available with special viewers.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Web-Photos-That-Reveal-nytimes-2375510549.html?x=0&.v=1

It is possible to turn off. But you usually have to go through an "invisible" menu to do so.

Indeed, disabling the geotag function generally involves going through several layers of menus until you find the “location” setting, then selecting “off” or “don’t allow.” But doing this can sometimes turn off all GPS capabilities, including mapping, so it can get complicated.

The Web site ICanStalkU.com provides step-by-step instructions for disabling the photo geotagging function on iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Palm devices.

A person’s location is also revealed while using services like Foursquare and Gowalla as well as when posting to Twitter from a GPS-enabled mobile device, but the geographical data is not hidden as it is when posting photos.

TombRaider4444
13-08-10, 02:39
Geo tagging is so 2007. The thing is i mostly put my photos on flickr and it compresses them specially and i turn off maps so....

Alpharaider47
13-08-10, 02:40
I dunno if this is stupidity, arrogance, or a bit of both, but I really am not that concerned with people finding out where I live. I suppose if someone was determined enough to actually come out here and do something to me they'd be driven enough to find my information some other way. I guess that's just how I am.

trlestew
13-08-10, 02:42
Oh...nice to know I guess.

In all honesty, I don't know how exactly this works and if we should be worried or anything.

aktrekker
13-08-10, 02:49
If you post pics online where anyone can see them, people you do or don't know can possibly find out your exact street address.
If anyone has anything against you they could look you up and settle it in person. And you'd have no idea who it is.

CerebralAssassin
13-08-10, 02:50
no need to turn anything off...cause simply put I don't suffer from paranoia.my location is out there for the world to see...whoever wants to find me can find me.and if they have malicious intent...or if so much as bash an eyelid at me,I'll ****ing plant their head in the ground.

trlestew
13-08-10, 02:50
Even with a normal digital camera and posting on Facebook?

Quasimodo
13-08-10, 02:51
If you post pics online where anyone can see them, people you do or don't know can possibly find out your exact street address.
If anyone has anything against you they could look you up and settle it in person. And you'd have no idea who it is.
So don't make enemies then?:ton:

Alpharaider47
13-08-10, 02:53

Consider this though, any information that you put on your computer can be hacked. So if someone seriously wanted to find you or do something to you there are a number of way to get at you. So the question becomes are you going to let that scare you into changing how you live or use your computer etc? That's my perspective anyways.

Encore
13-08-10, 02:53

But there are crazy people everywhere... Specially on the internet. :p

aktrekker
13-08-10, 02:54
Only if it has GPS capabilities.

I don't have any hardware with GPS.
Besides, they don't want to be my enemy.:ohn:

trlestew
13-08-10, 02:54
I'm not worried, just trying to figure out what this whole things is :o

Quasimodo
13-08-10, 02:59
Besides, they don't want to be my enemy.:ohn:

You live in up in the mountains and you'll turn 'em into cat food if they try?

aktrekker
13-08-10, 03:26
My cats love fresh meat. :whi:

Alpharaider47
13-08-10, 03:33
My cats love fresh meat. :whi:

Now I'm guessing you keep more than house cats :vlol:

Avalon SARL
13-08-10, 13:38
Maybe it is for investigations later on...
To have more control over someone, outline his moves... for any future problems, might be easier to identify a criminal or something...

Sgt BOMBULOUS
13-08-10, 13:43
But there are crazy people everywhere... Specially on the internet. :p

I'm so gonna get you :mis:

Cochrane
13-08-10, 14:36
I thought this should be obvious? If you include location information then of course others can find out where a picture was taken, a tweet was posted, where you checked in and so on. That is what it is meant for, after all.

I think way too few people realize that if you post something on the internet, it ends up… on the internet.

Encore
13-08-10, 14:37
I'm so gonna get you :mis:

Just TRY :ohn:

Cochrane
13-08-10, 14:38
Maybe it is for investigations later on...
To have more control over someone, outline his moves... for any future problems, might be easier to identify a criminal or something...

Nope, this is for convenience. If your camera does that, you don’t have to remember where you took a particular picture, because it is stored in the meta-data. And if someone else wants to know where this great photo location is, he can see it as well.

TombRaider4444
13-08-10, 14:40
Dslrs mostly dont have them so i carry a geo tagger with me and press the button when i take a pic so later in iphoto i can view it on maps

Also online services flickr and facebook and tinypic etc compreses them so they usually lose meta data sans the make model and time

Drone
13-08-10, 14:47
So what? Even Google has geolocation function, I ain't even talking about iPad or iPhone.

Whom do you fear: Apple, Google, Microsoft, or God? Like good ol' saying: "iPhone gets pwned, Google tells hackers where you live, Microsoft sells us out, and fireballs rain down from heaven. Paranoid yet?" :wve:

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-10, 17:05
I dunno if this is stupidity, arrogance, or a bit of both, but I really am not that concerned with people finding out where I live. I suppose if someone was determined enough to actually come out here and do something to me they'd be driven enough to find my information some other way. I guess that's just how I am.

same :vlol: :tmb: If a murderer turns up at my door I can run anyway :p *shrugs* doesn't bother me.

Alpharaider47
13-08-10, 17:07
same :vlol: :tmb: If a murderer turns up at my door I can run anyway :p *shrugs* doesn't bother me.
*hi5* :D

xXhayleyroxXx
13-08-10, 17:08
*hi5* :D

recklessness ftw :vlol:

Avalon SARL
13-08-10, 17:25
Nope, this is for convenience. If your camera does that, you don’t have to remember where you took a particular picture, because it is stored in the meta-data. And if someone else wants to know where this great photo location is, he can see it as well.

Aha...makes sense :)

Dustie
13-08-10, 21:04
I guess that's what you get for trying to squeeze everything into one. We're constantly developing our little digital shadows.

Tombraiderx08
13-08-10, 21:13
That's a bit creepy... it's not that I dont care if people knew where I lived, but like, one if you're gonna try and find me, you're already a nut, and two, if you'd come to find me like, in the general area I live, then there's really something wrong with you :D