PDA

View Full Version : Write essee about "Why"

Vinkula
13-08-10, 12:50
This is nice idea! We have to do this (In English) if we forgot to do English homework.

Instructions

*100-150 words
*Word 'Why' have to be there about 5-15 times
*You can write about anything, but the word 'Why' has to be the subject

It's fun and you can write everytime you want! This is not a penalty, like it's sometimes to me :p I am bad to do my homework :D

I have wrote like:

"Why polar bears are white?
Why my cat is brown?
Why my dad has black hair?
Why snow is cold? etc..."

It is FUN!

NRO.
13-08-10, 13:10
Why should people do your homework for you and why are you so lazy and for the love of anything that is left that's holy why are you asking on the internet?

(I couldn't help myself)

Vinkula
13-08-10, 13:13
I'm not asking you to do my homework. This is here so you can write these.

Avalon SARL
13-08-10, 13:13
It's Frustrating... How can something as a penalty be FUN :confused:

dizzydoil
13-08-10, 13:15
Why are polar bears white?

Vinkula
13-08-10, 13:21

Oh yes thanks. English is just hard sometimes

dizzydoil
13-08-10, 13:22
No, I'm asking. :p

Vinkula
13-08-10, 13:23
No, I'm asking. :p

OOOH. I dont know. xD

Another Lara
13-08-10, 13:25
It's the reflection of the snow that makes their hair white, I think their hair is actually quite see through! ;)

Avalon SARL
I just don't get it yet

What is it that we have to do? :confused:

Rai
'Write an Essay about "why".'

An essay is more than just asking endless questions beginning with 'Why'. You have to answer them too.

Q,Why are polar bears white?

A,They are white because that colour is a perfect camouflage in the snow.

Q, Why is my cat brown?

A, Because she fell in some mud (:p)

Q, Why is my dad's hair black?

A, He dyed it that colour (:p)

Q, Why is snow cold?

A, Because when it gets cold, rain turns into snow

Q, Why did I answer that?

A, Because I have way too much time on my hands

:D

dizzydoil
13-08-10, 13:26
It's the reflection of the snow that makes their hair white, I think their hair is actually quite see through! ;)

Someone told me that the hair was green, and it's just because it's next to snow all the time that we see it as white... I was like, O_O, kay wtevas darling. :p

sandygrimm
13-08-10, 13:35
Dare I ask....Why? :vlol:

lara c. fan
13-08-10, 13:36

That's the one.

Rai
13-08-10, 13:48

That's the one.

But polar bears still look white off the snow too. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering why that is.

Edit: this is what I found:

Fur. Polar bears’ fur consists of a dense, insulating undercoat topped by guard hairs of various lengths. It is not actually white—it just looks that way.
Each hair shaft is pigment-free and transparent with a hollow core that scatters and reflects visible light, much like what happens with ice and snow.
Polar bears look whitest when they are clean and in sunlight, especially just after the molt period, which usually begins in spring and is complete by late summer. Before molting, oils from the seals they eat can make them look yellow.
In zoos, polar bears have been known to turn green due to colonies of algae growing in their hollow hair shafts. This happened at the San Diego Zoo in 1979. No harm came to the bears, and zoo veterinarian Phillip Robinson restored the bears to white by killing the algae with a salt solution.

Skin. Polar bears have black skin under which there is a layer of blubber that can measure 4.5 inches (11.5 centimeters) thick. This and their fur prevent bears from suffering nearly any heat loss. In fact, adult males quickly overheat when they run.

Scientific Finding. Scientists used to think that polar bears’ hollow hairs acted like fiber optic tubes and conducted light to their black skin. In 1988, Daniel W. Koon, a physicist at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY, and graduate assistant, Reid Hutchins, proved this false.
Their experiments showed that a one-fifth inch strand of polar bear hair conducted less than a thousandth of a percent of applied ultraviolet light. So, the black skin absorbs very little ultraviolet light. Instead, Koon believes keratin, a basic component of the hair, absorbs the ultraviolet light.

From this site (http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/polar-bears/bear-essentials-polar-style/characteristics/fur-and-skin). So the fur reflects light.

interstellardave
13-08-10, 13:53
Actually it's the scattering of light from the sun that makes them appear white... that's why they still look white in the water, where there would be no reflection from snow. In fact, snow appears white for the same exact reason:

The individual hairs in a polar bear's coat are transparent. Similarly, the crystals of sugar in a bowl, the crystals of ice in a field of snow, the water droplets in a cloud are also transparent and yet a bowl of sugar, a field of snow or a cloud are all white, just as a polar bear's coat is - and for the same reason.

The light from the sun is white light. When it falls on the fur, the sugar or the snow it is refracted and reflected by the individual elements in all directions. This is called scattering. Some of the scattered light comes out towards the observer and as the light was white going in, it is white coming out. Consequently masses of small transparent objects appear white because they scatter white light.

Found that on yahoo.com. Fascinating!

Vinkula
13-08-10, 18:49
Rai, you can write EVERYTHING about WHY. I'm not changing my teachers intructions. And you can write something else than 'endless questions'. I wrote like that and got 'Excellent' note of it.

This is really fun when you are bored if you take it 'seriosly' and not like " :vlol: :vlol: " If you dont like idea, then dont type here? -_-"

ryan91
13-08-10, 19:14
why does it always rain on me

CroftGameGirl
13-08-10, 19:46
Why... WHY did I have to lose my favourite hat today? :(

(When I think of more, I'll add it :p, but currently, that's all on my mind)

Lara Croft!
13-08-10, 20:34
-Why do magnets work?
-Rap can only answer that.
:D

Rai
13-08-10, 21:58
Rai, you can write EVERYTHING about WHY. I'm not changing my teachers intructions. And you can write something else than 'endless questions'. I wrote like that and got 'Excellent' note of it.

This is really fun when you are bored if you take it 'seriosly' and not like " :vlol: :vlol: " If you dont like idea, then dont type here? -_-"

Did I say I didn't like the idea? Nope, I answered your questions, didn't I? :p

And I did a little research on polar bears, learning something new along the way :D. Oh, and congrats on the 'excellent' :D.

Why do snakes shed their skins?
Why do duck billed platypuses have those bills?

Why am I itching to correct your spelling mistakes? (sorry, couldn't resist :p)