PDA

View Full Version : PETA upset over a Dodge commercial...

voltz
14-08-10, 06:05
Auto company Dodge recently found itself in PETA's crosshairs after the carmaker aired a commercial starring a monkey dressed up like Evel Knievel. But, unlike many who draw the ire of PETA, Dodge fought back in a most amusing way.

Below, the original ad that inspired PETA to pen an open letter condemning Dodge for using a monkey, "given the well-documented abuse that young chimpanzees and orangutans suffer in the entertainment industry." PETA goes on to write, "Dodge isn't going to dodge a bullet on this one. It needs to pull the ad and we've contacted the company asking it to do just that." Here's the commercial with the monkey...

http://buzz.yahoo.com/buzzlog/93924?fp=1

aktrekker
14-08-10, 06:16
I say Bravo! to Dodge for telling PETA to **** off.
It's about time someone stood up to those terrorists.

star-dust
14-08-10, 06:17
I think Peta goes a little overboard sometimes with all their "protect the animal". Just because Dodge had a money in their commercials didn't mean the money was mistreated. I think it varies.

I love Dodge's come back. :tmb: Made me laugh!

voltz
14-08-10, 06:18
Money or monkey? :confused:

Legend 4ever
14-08-10, 06:34
The other version is even better lol

_Awestruck_
14-08-10, 06:40
People Eating Tasty Animals.

voltz
14-08-10, 07:13
Like... chicken? :p

Alpharaider47
14-08-10, 07:16
It's admirable what a lot of these groups are trying to do, but I think quite a few (PETA def comes to mind) have a tendency to take some things a bit too far.

Admles
14-08-10, 07:27
People Eating Tasty Animals.
I support that movement

PETA is just a bunch of nazi terrorists

Apathetic
14-08-10, 07:35
I support that movement

Are you serious?

Tonyrobinson
14-08-10, 07:36
Meh, No doubt this thread will become heated so before that I'm going to get my point in. They go a wee bit over board some times. :)

Admles
14-08-10, 07:42
Are you serious?
Are you saying they are just a bunch of goody-goody animal lovers?

TippingWater
14-08-10, 07:44
Well at least they have a reason to be extremists , as animal cruelty and exploitation is a reality :o .

lara c. fan
14-08-10, 07:46
PETA are always upset about something.

Admles
14-08-10, 07:47
Well at least they have a reason to be extremists , as animal cruelty and exploitation is a reality :o .
Hypocrites who also kill animals they can't find homes for

Mad Tony
14-08-10, 07:49
Can't believe people are defending PETA...

As for the commercial, I lol'ed. :D

Quasimodo
14-08-10, 07:51
Well at least they have a reason to be extremists , as animal cruelty and exploitation is a reality.
I see PETA as more of a fame and snobbery vehicle than an organization really concerned with animal welfare. Did any of those naked photos really save any animals from getting turned into fur coats?

For further reading. (http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/blogs/read/4075/)

Paddy
14-08-10, 07:53
Can't believe people are defending PETA...

As for the commercial, I lol'ed. :D
I dont get the defending them either tbh.

Tonyrobinson
14-08-10, 07:53
Yeah, it's a fact that lots of animals will get burned, killed, maimed or mutilated regardless... :o

Legend 4ever
14-08-10, 08:04
I stopped liking PETA when I found out I could get splashed with red paint when walking down the street in my new fur coat and when a person on the bus told me he would like to make a bag out of me because I wore leather gloves.

What's done is done, one less person buying the coat is not gonna stop them from making thousands more.

Twilight
14-08-10, 08:51
Seriously? Its not like they were beating the monkey with a stick, jeez.

I see PETA as more of a fame and snobbery vehicle than an organization really concerned with animal welfare. Did any of those naked photos really save any animals from getting turned into fur coats?

For further reading. (http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/blogs/read/4075/)

Oh my gosh, what a bunch of hypocrites. I knew PETA was kinda crazy but damn, they're worst than the slaughterhouses. They're two faced liars, disgusting.
They give real vegans/vegetarians a bad name.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-08-10, 09:56
It's admirable what a lot of these groups are trying to do, but I think quite a few (PETA def comes to mind) have a tendency to take some things a bit too far.

This :tmb: the only thing I go to the PETA website is for their list of companies which test and do not test on animals. I do not actively support them because they dont deal with animal cruelty the correct way. Now the RSPCA, theres a animal cruelty prevention organisation I can work for :tmb:

This is just silly of PETA, as long as it didnt show the monkey being hurt or noticeably ridiculed I don't see the problem. And y'know come to think of it there was an advert where a guy bites opens a KitKat & inside is a gorilla's finger, which he promptly eats. But PETA wouldn't have been bothered by that because it's highlighting deforestation and how it kills animals ;) They really need to provide a stronger argument for cases like these, even I can see they have a weak and pathetic argument.

*rant over* I actually used to support PETA as well until I realised they were lying idiots.

@Twilight - exactly :tmb: As do other animal rights campaigns, they all get bad reputations due to PETA's foolishness.

lara c. fan
14-08-10, 09:58
And y'know come to think of it there was an advert where a guy bites opens a KitKat & inside is a gorilla's finger, which he promptly eats. But PETA wouldn't have been bothered by that because it's highlighting deforestation and how it kills animals ;)

Our RE teacher showed us that. The blood running out of his mouth was a nice touch.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-08-10, 09:59
Our RE teacher showed us that. The blood running out of his mouth was a nice touch.

The advert makes me sick but it supports a good cause. I wont watch it anymore but I think its doing a good job :tmb:

NRO.
14-08-10, 10:01
Why am I having flashbacks to the Obama incident...

Super Badnik
14-08-10, 12:55
I could understand if the monkey had been mistreated by the ad's makers, but I don't know why PETA are bothering with this. There is much worse out there than a monkey wearing clothes.

Admles
14-08-10, 12:56
Anyone ever see the Penn and Teller: Bull****! episode about PETA?

Was quite interesting

Dennis's Mom
14-08-10, 13:28
PETA quite often exhibits classic troll behavior.

Frankly, it's sad to see trolling becoming such a part of mainstream America.

igonge
14-08-10, 14:49
I support that movement

This lol

SamReeves
14-08-10, 14:59
PETA, go to Gitmo and meet up with your idols from the OBL club.

Super Badnik
14-08-10, 15:27

For further reading. (http://www.geekstinkbreath.net/blogs/read/4075/)God, I had no idea what PETA has actually been doing. Thats disgusting. The most sickening part is that they actually don't seem to care about animals at all and only really seem to be in it for the money and possibly to create chaos. PETA should be shut down as a fake charity/terrorist group and their money given to groups that genuinley want to help animals.

xXhayleyroxXx
14-08-10, 15:35
God, I had no idea what PETA has actually been doing. Thats disgusting. The most sickening part is that they actually don't seem to care about animals at all and only really seem to be in it for the money and possibly to create chaos. PETA should be shut down as a fake charity/terrorist group and their money given to groups that genuinley want to help animals.
Most definately :tmb:

Lara Croft!
14-08-10, 20:09
Dodge gave a brilliant response. PETA should have evidence of that monkey being mistreated and not just throw blames here and there just for the sake of it.

Alpharaider47
14-08-10, 20:16
Dodge gave a brilliant response. PETA should have evidence of that monkey being mistreated and not just throw blames here and there just for the sake of it.

It strikes me as though they're just trying to stir things up :o

Mad Tony
14-08-10, 20:38
Frankly, it's sad to see trolling becoming such a part of mainstream America.I was deeply disappointed when one of my favorite glamor models (Keeley Hazell if anyone's interested) appeared in an ad for them. I mean, she had hardly anything on (as do all women who appear in PETA ads) which was good but I think PETA as an organization are absolutely disgusting.

Tombraiderx08
14-08-10, 22:46
Yay dodge! PETA goes overboard sometimes, im sure they love that monkey, jeez.

Lara Croft!
14-08-10, 23:01
It strikes me as though they're just trying to stir things up :o

Exactly. Protest for the sake of protesting is just wrong. We should gather and protest against it. :D

larafan25
14-08-10, 23:02
I stopped liking PETA when I found out I could get splashed with red paint when walking down the street in my new fur coat and when a person on the bus told me he would like to make a bag out of me because I wore leather gloves.

What's done is done, one less person buying the coat is not gonna stop them from making thousands more.

People not buying coats means no coats being baught, why in the ef would they keep making coats when nobody is buying them?

Oh look, it does make sense.

Also killing animals to make coats is the same as killing humans to make coats for animals, just backwards.

Some people should watch planet of the apes.:cool:

aktrekker
14-08-10, 23:05
Some people should watch planet of the apes.:cool:
I did. The remake sucked. One of the worst movies ever made.
The costumes and makeup in the original was more believable.

In the bible God made clothes for Adam and Eve out of animal skins.
If it's good enough for God....

But that isn't the topic :p

Catracoth
14-08-10, 23:14
PETA is a disgrace to animal activists.
"Dodge needs to pull the commercial and we've contacted them asking them to do just that."
Well, give them a round of ****ing applause. :rolleyes: Dodge doesn't need to do ****. What PETA needs to do is stop thinking they're above everyone.

larafan25
14-08-10, 23:15
I did. The remake sucked. One of the worst movies ever made.
The costumes and makeup in the original was more believable.

In the bible God made clothes for Adam and Eve out of animal skins.
If it's good enough for God....

But that isn't the topic :p

Ohhhhh God.:p

^LOL at how that can be interpreted in many ways.

I guess this will sound horrible but...

It depends on who you are whether it's right or wrong.

For example, me thinking that humans are not anything special, we are just smarter beings yet still beings coexsisting with all these other beings, makes me think it's wrong, as if it were wrong to wear a humans skin for a coat.

However if you believe that God gave these animals to the earth for us to use for such purposes, then it's right and ok.

The reason that may sound terrible is because animals are alive and doing there own thing, so for us to just walk on over and kill them must be very frustrating for them.

Dennis's Mom
14-08-10, 23:18
No more frustrating than anything else killing them. Perhaps you haven't noticed virtually all animals are killed by something else.

larafan25
14-08-10, 23:20
No more frustrating than anything else killing them. Perhaps you haven't noticed virtually all animals are killed by something else.

Ya, I don't like when my cat kills mice, if my cat didn't get fed by me, it would need to though.

However it can just eat leaves.

I'm not a vegetarian but I think we should stop killing animals for things that we do not need.

Super Badnik
14-08-10, 23:23
No more frustrating than anything else killing them. Perhaps you haven't noticed virtually all animals are killed by something else.They are. The difference with humans are that we don't always kill them because it's a necessity. All animals kill each other, it seems it is only humans that do it for fun or because their skin would look good as a coat.

larafan25
14-08-10, 23:28
They are. The difference with humans are that we don't always kill them because it's a necessity. All animals kill each other, it seems it is only humans that do it for fun or because their skin would look good as a coat.

Ya, or because fried chicken tastes so damn good.:pi:

Catracoth
14-08-10, 23:30
I'm not a vegetarian but I think we should stop killing animals for things that we do not need.

I agree completely.
I'm sure we can all go without a fur coat and the occasional elephant tusk / rhino horn wall trophy.

aktrekker
14-08-10, 23:54
Ever seen the video of killer whales playing catch with a seal? And not eating it?
Ever seen the video of baby foxes playing with mice? And not eating them?
Ever seen domestic cats play with and kill mice, birds, etc? And not eating them?
Ever heard about wolves or coyotes attacking a herd of sheep and killing them all? And not eating them?

Animals do kill for fun. I wish people would forget that myth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3323070/Killer-dolphins-baffle-marine-experts.html

http://www.africanwildlifeguide.com/articles/life-of-lions/killing-for-survival
On a few occasions, I have witnessed lions killing mongoose. In each of these observed incidents, I watched the members of the pride play with the carcass for some time before finally rejecting it; the uneaten carcass was then left to rot.

Chimpanzees kill each other over territory.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1882134/why_do_chimps_attack_and_kill_each_other/index.html

And here we have lots of accounts from people of animals killing but not eating.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-266415.html

larafan25
15-08-10, 00:06
Ever seen the video of killer whales playing catch with a seal? And not eating it?
Ever seen the video of baby foxes playing with mice? And not eating them?
Ever seen domestic cats play with and kill mice, birds, etc? And not eating them?
Ever heard about wolves or coyotes attacking a herd of sheep and killing them all? And not eating them?

Animals do kill for fun. I wish people would forget that myth.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3323070/Killer-dolphins-baffle-marine-experts.html

http://www.africanwildlifeguide.com/articles/life-of-lions/killing-for-survival

Chimpanzees kill each other over territory.
http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1882134/why_do_chimps_attack_and_kill_each_other/index.html

And here we have lots of accounts from people of animals killing but not eating.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/archive/index.php/t-266415.html

The difference is that we are capaple of deciding no forever and stopping these things ourselves.

aktrekker
15-08-10, 00:11
The point is, do "other animals" have more right to do this than we do?
If we are just animals, then we will naturally act like animals. Other animals kill for fun. So we will kill for fun. Other animals wage war on each other. So we will wage war on each other.

Or are we not "just animals"?

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-10, 00:16
Sure, some animals play with their food like cats and whales but they kill out of instinct. If animals could avoid killing, like we can; I'm sure they would , but they don't know about alternatives and nutritional value and what would be best for them.:ton:

larafan25
15-08-10, 00:18
The point is, do "other animals" have more right to do this than we do?
If we are just animals, then we will naturally act like animals. Other animals kill for fun. So we will kill for fun. Other animals wage war on each other. So we will wage war on each other.

Or are we not "just animals"?

We are "just animals" However we seem to be clearly more advanced and intelligent, we now have power over the homes and lives of these creatures a lot because we are simply bigger than some of them.

I just think we have a good amount of knowledge and power and should use it well, not to have yummy food that we do not NEED or to have clothing that could be made out of durable and less ....abiotic materials.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-10, 00:19
^^ yep :tmb: I totally agree about how we are advanced animals, but indeed; animals.

larafan25
15-08-10, 00:21
To be hones I obviously do not know how much animals we are.

I think we might have been created by an alien race of beings who used some of someone and some of someone else to make some freaking cool beings. If that makes sense.... :pi:

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 00:22
I think a part of our problem though is that too many humans want to believe that we are "above" animals to justify both our actions and theirs.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-10, 00:23
I wouldnt be surprised :vlol:

@Chaz - yep :tmb:

Paddy
15-08-10, 00:38
I think a part of our problem though is that too many humans want to believe that we are "above" animals to justify both our actions and theirs.
I agree. Theres no real justification for killing animals for fun.

aktrekker
15-08-10, 00:41
Clothes made out of leather are extremely durable and protect us better than any normally used alternate. I'm obviously excluding things like kevlar, but who wants to wear that all the time?
Wool is much more durable than cotton. It keeps you warmer, even in wet weather.

Animal products are naturally renewable. Biodegradable. And use far less energy to produce than man-made materials. They are, quite literally, the original "green" solution.

larafan25
15-08-10, 00:43
Clothes made out of leather are extremely durable and protect us better than any normally used alternate. I'm obviously excluding things like kevlar, but who wants to wear that all the time?
Wool is much more durable than cotton. It keeps you warmer, even in wet weather.

Animal products are naturally renewable. Biodegradable. And use far less energy to produce than man-made materials. They are, quite literally, the original "green" solution.

You'er correct, but at what cost do we want to be green? We can be green without killing animals, it's just another challenge the human race faces.

aktrekker
15-08-10, 00:56
We are "just animals" However we seem to be clearly more advanced and intelligent, we now have power over the homes and lives of these creatures a lot because we are simply bigger than some of them.
They far outnumber us. If they turn on us they would win. They aren't as helpless as people like to think. Even domesticated animals have proven that countless times.

I just think we have a good amount of knowledge and power and should use it well, not to have yummy food that we do not NEED or to have clothing that could be made out of durable and less ....abiotic materials.
You mean fast food, junk food...soda, chips, ice cream, candy, cookies, etc?

And the point that was brought up was not about using animals for food, but for clothes. While they may seem related, they really are different topics.

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 01:02

I think we can use/harvest animal products in ways that are more humane though. I'm not gonna pretend I'm a big champion of animal rights and such, but I think there are better ways of handling all that. Just an ignorant theory though :o I think I'm talking more about food here though, don't think you have to kill sheep for wool :D
I definitely agree that we should use what's around us, but try not to overuse it. Everything in moderation :p

larafan25
15-08-10, 01:07
They far outnumber us. If they turn on us they would win. They aren't as helpless as people like to think. Even domesticated animals have proven that countless times.

You mean fast food, junk food...soda, chips, ice cream, candy, cookies, etc?

And the point that was brought up was not about using animals for food, but for clothes. While they may seem related, they really are different topics.

My point about the food (which does somehow relate to the thread) was that we do not need to eat meat to survive, I like some meat, hence me calling them yummy foods. However I could live without them.

As for them outnumbering us, yes they do outnumber us and can kill us, I am afraid of aligators when I am swimming in lakes just as I am afraid of some creepy person pulling a gun on me in a dark alley.

If an animals is attacking you then do self defense.

Admles
15-08-10, 01:22
Human beings are meant to eat meat. We have the necessary teeth and digestive juices for breaking them down, and our eyes are set in front of our head to chase and run down prey. It's part of what we are made to do.

Paddy
15-08-10, 01:27
Not always, I dont think to survive we need meat necessarily as larafan said.
Fruit, veges are just as important if not moreso. I also dont think humans are necessarily meant to eat meat either.
Carnivores can handle eating stuff humans cant, like meat thats gone off for example.

Love2Raid
15-08-10, 01:27
Oh come on, seriously?!

Invisible monkey, lol. :D

Admles
15-08-10, 01:31
Not always, I dont think to survive we need meat necessarily as larafan said.
Fruit, veges are just as important if not moreso. I also dont think humans are necessarily meant to eat meat either.
The human body was designed to be able to eat meat

To not eat meat goes against what the human body was biologically created for; while grains and vegetables should be part of our diet, meat is just as important.

larafan25
15-08-10, 01:31
Human beings are meant to eat meat. We have the necessary teeth and digestive juices for breaking them down, and our eyes are set in front of our head to chase and run down prey. It's part of what we are made to do.

I don't think we were made for eating meat.:/

Paddy
15-08-10, 01:33
The human body was designed to be able to eat meat

To not eat meat goes against what the human body was biologically created for; while grains and vegetables should be part of our diet, meat is just as important.
I dont think it is as important, humans can go without meat if necessary as vegetarians and vegans I assume would confirm.
I agree.

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 01:34

Well we have biological adaptations and what not to more easily facilitate eating meat. While we don't *have* to to survive today, it's a fact that at one time meat was the majority of our diet.
I don't have any qualms with people who choose not to eat it, and I think that those people probably begin to adapt to a life without meat. It's admirable what they're doing and I think they're entitled to do it, even if I don't choose to follow that lifestyle.

Paddy
15-08-10, 01:36
Well we have biological adaptations and what not to more easily facilitate eating meat. While we don't *have* to to survive today, it's a fact that at one time meat was the majority of our diet.
I don't have any qualms with people who choose not to eat it, and I think that those people probably begin to adapt to a life without meat. It's admirable what they're doing and I think they're entitled to do it, even if I don't choose to follow that lifestyle.
Thats a fair call too, they show that it is possible should it come to it that people could live without eating meat.

Draco
15-08-10, 01:45
I wear leather. I eat meat.

PETA are on the Terrorist Watchlist.

The whole point of the human digestive system being omniverous is to allow us to eat whatever is available.

aktrekker
15-08-10, 01:49
Kind of hard to kung fu a bear :vlol:

And we do need meat in our diet. We are omnivores, not herbivores. The requirement is part of our biological makeup.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/diet-tips/why-we-need-meat/
http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=3035
http://simplegoodandtasty.com/2010/04/23/why-animal-lovers-should-eat-meat

Additionally, you have to consider things like our protein requirements. To replace the high protein content of meat would require eating 5-10 times as much plant material. This will require several times as much farmland as is currently in use. It requires more water for irrigation, reducing our available water supply. Droughts would have a much larger impact on our food supply. This will take habitat from wild animals, reducing their populations. This reduction is indiscriminate - it will happen to endangered and protected wildlife as well. It also reduces living space for ourselves, requiring us to pack ourselves into smaller areas. This increases health problems, complicates sanitation, etc.

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 01:52
^ that's true and as such I think it would only work for the entire population if it were smaller. So after WW III we can all be vegetarians :p

larafan25
15-08-10, 01:53
Kind of hard to kung fu a bear :vlol:

And we do need meat in our diet. We are omnivores, not herbivores. The requirement is part of our biological makeup.

http://fitnessblackbook.com/diet-tips/why-we-need-meat/
http://www.askabiologist.org.uk/answers/viewtopic.php?id=3035
http://simplegoodandtasty.com/2010/04/23/why-animal-lovers-should-eat-meat

Additionally, you have to consider things like our protein requirements. To replace the high protein content of meat would require eating 5-10 times as much plant material. This will require several times as much farmland as is currently in use. It requires more water for irrigation, reducing our available water supply. Droughts would have a much larger impact on our food supply. This will take habitat from wild animals, reducing their populations. This reduction is indiscriminate - it will happen to endangered and protected wildlife as well. It also reduces living space for ourselves, requiring us to pack ourselves into smaller areas. This increases health problems, complicates sanitation, etc.

You know Lara could do it.....
http://www.tombraider.com/upload/img/screenU_28.jpg

Admles
15-08-10, 04:14

The fact of the matter is we are.

Human beings are omnivores, not vegetarians

Catracoth
15-08-10, 04:16

Indeed.
I personally don't favour eating meat, but you need what you need.

Gladous
15-08-10, 04:25
PETA always poops a chicken with the littlest and stupidest things. :rolleyes:

I do love Dodge's comeback. :vlol: :tmb:

TRhalloween
15-08-10, 04:31

I am a human being and I am a vegetarian.

aktrekker
15-08-10, 04:37
^I think they meant herbivore.

Admles
15-08-10, 05:08
I am a human being and I am a vegetarian.
Sorry I meant herbivore

And that was a choice of yours; humans are omnivores by nature

Melonie Tomb Raider
15-08-10, 05:17
Way to go, Dodge! :tmb:

Ugh, I hate PETA. :rolleyes:

Paddy
15-08-10, 06:18

Even I cant argue that.

CiaKonwerski
15-08-10, 06:40
That was HILARIOUS lol.

domina
15-08-10, 06:44
Lord, what isn't PETA upset about? Bunch of whiners totally counterproductive to their cause.

Dodge handled this brilliantly. Love the smart ass approach.

NRO.
15-08-10, 08:41
I agree completely.
I'm sure we can all go without a fur coat and the occasional elephant tusk / rhino horn wall trophy.

*hugs my leather winter boots and two leather jackets*

...gtfo...

lunavixen
15-08-10, 10:56
Are you serious?
yeah, PETA is horrible, particularly in their slamming of the meat industry, they find practices that are extreme and play them as common occurences when they aren't, one of my best friends works in an abbatoir/slaughterhouse and nothing like what PETA shows goes on there

This :tmb: the only thing I go to the PETA website is for their list of companies which test and do not test on animals. I do not actively support them because they dont deal with animal cruelty the correct way. Now the RSPCA, theres a animal cruelty prevention organisation I can work for :tmb:

*rant over* I actually used to support PETA as well until I realised they were lying idiots.

@Twilight - exactly :tmb: As do other animal rights campaigns, they all get bad reputations due to PETA's foolishness.
i volunteer at our local RSPCA and they will actually take matters to COURT about animal cruelty (most severe ones that is). my mother put the RSPCA onto a pet shop that had shoddy practices, there was this guinea pig that was at the pet shop, he was so thin you could feel all his bones, he couldn't eat solid food (we had to hand feed him) and he could barely walk as well as being blind, my mother and i confiscated him and tried to save him, we took him to the RSPCA along with all the evidence we had, they know my mother (she's a guinea pig breeder) they told us to try and save him if we could (we kept him alive for a further week, but he didn't make it, he was too far gone. he wouldn't have survived more than another day or two at the pet shop though (so their vet told us)), the RSPCA took this pet shop owner to court and had his shop shut down, he's now banned from ever owning pets or opening another pet shop.

xXhayleyroxXx
15-08-10, 11:16
i volunteer at our local RSPCA and they will actually take matters to COURT about animal cruelty (most severe ones that is). my mother put the RSPCA onto a pet shop that had shoddy practices, there was this guinea pig that was at the pet shop, he was so thin you could feel all his bones, he couldn't eat solid food (we had to hand feed him) and he could barely walk as well as being blind, my mother and i confiscated him and tried to save him, we took him to the RSPCA along with all the evidence we had, they know my mother (she's a guinea pig breeder) they told us to try and save him if we could (we kept him alive for a further week, but he didn't make it, he was too far gone. he wouldn't have survived more than another day or two at the pet shop though (so their vet told us)), the RSPCA took this pet shop owner to court and had his shop shut down, he's now banned from ever owning pets or opening another pet shop.

Good on you and your mum! And also well done for volunteering :hug: The RSPCA are excellent arent they? Unfortunately, they would have asked you to save the guinea pig because the amount of malnurished and mistreated animals in their shelters is horrendous, they've asked us to do the same as well. We have a lot of their animals which had been unable to find space at our local RSPCA shelter. They're brilliant arent they? I really want to be an inspector with them when I'm 25 :)

On the topic of humans being made to eat meat -- we are, which is why we have canines; although we have alternatives now to lead a healthy lifestyle without eating it which is why I'm vegetarian :ton: Its actually really healthy for the majority of people, but not for me because I had an underlying allergy to iron which I didnt know about (it runs in the family apparently)and its made me unwell. I would never do back nor the have the desire to eat meat again.

Dennis's Mom
15-08-10, 14:07
They are. The difference with humans are that we don't always kill them because it's a necessity. All animals kill each other, it seems it is only humans that do it for fun or because their skin would look good as a coat.

Well, that's just current thinking from folks who are so far removed from survival they think they have choices on how to survive.

This idea people can "survive" without using animal products is only possible due to the advent of petroleum. Behind every card carrying vegan, there's a barrel of oil giving them durable shoes, belts, vinyl, goretex and all other manner of product that make living without leather and fur possible.

Not criticizing anyone here, but folks need to become culturally literate about this stuff and look beyond the cute animal pictures. Human beings are extremely vulnerable creatures and ill-suited to "natural" survival. Man's ability to survive is due entirely to his ability to exploit the world around him.

That is not to say we have the right to be stupid or cruel in how we survive, of course. As the smartest critters on the planet, we have a responsibility. ;)

Actually, a few years back there was a program on early man on one of the Discovery channels. One of the anthropologists said that eating meat was probably what made us "human." All the extra protein allowed our brains to grow and develop.

Poker15
15-08-10, 14:25
Yay, PETA Got owned.:p

Antonio
15-08-10, 18:52
Are you telling me that PETA made a drama just because monkey pull the switch.:vlol:
Nice one from Dodge for making a invisible monkey.:p

Super Badnik
15-08-10, 21:34
Still not 100% sure on why making the monkey invisible was a blow to PETA.

lara c. fan
15-08-10, 21:38

Because it was Dodge's way of saying "**** you, we will just make a joke of you".

And that down there. v

Minty Mouth
15-08-10, 21:39

It's ironic :p

Super Badnik
15-08-10, 21:40
Because it was Dodge's way of saying "**** you, we will just make a joke of you".Well yeah I got that, I'm just not sure what the idea of having the monkey be invisible was. Was it meant to mock PETA by taking the monkey out of the advert in a completely pointless way?

larafan25
15-08-10, 21:41
Well yeah I got that, I'm just not sure what the idea of having the monkey be invisible was. Was it meant to mock PETA by taking the monkey out of the advert in a completely pointless way?

Basically.

Super Badnik
15-08-10, 21:43
Basically.Oh, I see.

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 23:33
Well yeah I got that, I'm just not sure what the idea of having the monkey be invisible was. Was it meant to mock PETA by taking the monkey out of the advert in a completely pointless way?

Monkey? What monkey? ;) I think that was what they were getting at.

Draco
16-08-10, 00:30
It is sarcastic humor, which makes it more awesome.

touchthesky
16-08-10, 08:52
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

I am 100% for animals.

I am 100% against PETA.

Legend 4ever
16-08-10, 09:10
People not buying coats means no coats being baught, why in the ef would they keep making coats when nobody is buying them?

There will always be people who will want fur coats, gloves, belts, boots, bags etc. And as long as that lady with $100 million on her bank account wants that $10,000 mink coat, she's gonna get it.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-08-10, 09:13
http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

I am 100% for animals.

I am 100% against PETA.

High five! :ton:

touchthesky
16-08-10, 09:51
High five! :ton:

;).

Trouble is..since PETA are one of the biggest animal cruelty charities, people will always see them as "the good guys" and refuse to accept the fact that they...are actually evil.

lunavixen
16-08-10, 09:54
Good on you and your mum! And also well done for volunteering :hug: The RSPCA are excellent arent they? Unfortunately, they would have asked you to save the guinea pig because the amount of malnurished and mistreated animals in their shelters is horrendous, they've asked us to do the same as well. We have a lot of their animals which had been unable to find space at our local RSPCA shelter. They're brilliant arent they? I really want to be an inspector with them when I'm 25 :)
well, we had him already and consistency and stability can help sick animals, he was so sick we weren't really willing to move him from place to place, the RSPCA shelters here aren't too full but we do have several "adoption homes" or waiting homes if you will, any extra pets go to certain peoples homes and if someone is looking for a certain type of pet, they contact those who have the extra pets and a meeting is arranged for it
Well, that's just current thinking from folks who are so far removed from survival they think they have choices on how to survive.

This idea people can "survive" without using animal products is only possible due to the advent of petroleum. Behind every card carrying vegan, there's a barrel of oil giving them durable shoes, belts, vinyl, goretex and all other manner of product that make living without leather and fur possible.

Actually, a few years back there was a program on early man on one of the Discovery channels. One of the anthropologists said that eating meat was probably what made us "human." All the extra protein allowed our brains to grow and develop.protein is also good for muscle building, protein builds and repairs muscles, protein breaks down into amino acids which is a large section of our DNA and helps restore blood, hair, skin and a whole raft of other things too

xXhayleyroxXx
16-08-10, 10:17
;).

Trouble is..since PETA are one of the biggest animal cruelty charities, people will always see them as "the good guys" and refuse to accept the fact that they...are actually evil.

I know :/ I used to think they were good before I realised that, like you said; they're evil.

well, we had him already and consistency and stability can help sick animals, he was so sick we weren't really willing to move him from place to place, the RSPCA shelters here aren't too full but we do have several "adoption homes" or waiting homes if you will, any extra pets go to certain peoples homes and if someone is looking for a certain type of pet, they contact those who have the extra pets and a meeting is arranged for it
protein is also good for muscle building, protein builds and repairs muscles, protein breaks down into amino acids which is a large section of our DNA and helps restore blood, hair, skin and a whole raft of other things too

Oh right I see :p

Chocola teapot
16-08-10, 10:53
Um...

How random, I don't see anything wrong with the advert.

AND LOL, Invisable monkey.

[Xmas]
16-08-10, 11:49
I think Peta goes a little overboard sometimes with all their "protect the animal". Just because Dodge had a money in their commercials didn't mean the money was mistreated. I think it varies. I think they don't. :)

Mad Tony
16-08-10, 11:56
;4822027']I think they don't. :)How exactly do they not? What they do is borderline terrorism.

[Xmas]
16-08-10, 11:58
They are just trying to protect animals. And we know they need it :tmb:

Mad Tony
16-08-10, 12:20
;4822041']They are just trying to protect animals. And we know they need it :tmb:So killing the large majority of animals that come into their care counts as "protecting" them?

And this is without mentioning the methods they use to get their message across. Unlike other animal rights organizations (although at this point I wouldn't even call PETA an animal rights group) they force their views onto everyone else and try and stigmatize perfectly acceptable things like eating meat. Not only that but they have also donated money to organizations like ALF (Animal Liberation Front) who use violence to "liberate" animals.

If you like animals, you should hate PETA.

dizzydoil
16-08-10, 12:45
I like animals & I hate PETA.

I hate the fact that they kill 98% of the animals, instead of allowing them to be adopted. :/ :(

NRO.
16-08-10, 12:57
;4822041']They are just trying to protect animals. And we know they need it :tmb:

Read the whole thread before posting.

Draco
16-08-10, 15:25
There is a special level of hell for PETA, the one reserved child molesters and people who talk at the theatre.

xXhayleyroxXx
16-08-10, 16:39
;4822027']I think they don't. :)

Honestly sweetie, I adore animals and want to save them as a career; but PETA are truly evil and shouldnt be allowed to be called an animal rights group. They dont believe in keeping pets either, which is why they kill all the animals and dont allow them to be adopted.