PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Stereotype Game

KIKO
15-08-10, 15:55
Tired of your dad trying to fit you into one of his kind ? Exausted of your super-macho friends ? Wondering why they were thinking you’d take hours to get dressed ? Why can’t you just listen to heavy metal ? Sick of your uncle’s racist jokes ?

Well then play the anti-stereotype game! It’s easy, just copy the form and fill it in with your own daily-stereotype dealings :) Just remember, you don't need to be serious at all:

I don’t want to [STEREOTYPE] because I really want [SOMETHING SORT OF OPPOSITE TO THE STEREOTYPE]. It makes me [THE WAY YOU FEEL] and I don't like it.

I shall start:
I don't want to DRIVE CARS because I really want PEOPLE TO BE SAFE FROM ME. It makes me FEEL NERVOUS and I don't like it.

lol

Catracoth
15-08-10, 15:59
How is driving cars a stereotype?

KIKO
15-08-10, 16:00

Well almost everybody has a car and that for me has turned into a stereotype around here.

Mikky
15-08-10, 16:06

Driving cars is very stereotypical. Where have you been?

And I will not be playing this game. :p

M.A.
15-08-10, 16:07

How about everybody seems to get their license and pressuring you to get one even though they know you hate those things and hate the thought of you driving one? Yeah, that's basically it. :)

And motorbikes rule! :) (at least we don't get stuck in traffic jams! :ton:)

Shark_Blade
15-08-10, 16:18
I don’t want to watch football because I really want to mind my own business. It makes me sleepy and I don't like it.

Is this right?:p I don't understand the "Anti stereotype" part.

larafan25
15-08-10, 16:25
I don’t want to get wasted, get my license, buy a fake ID, hit the clubs because I really want to go for walks, design my games, draw some pictures, listen to good music, and drink chocolate milk. It makes me feel really cool to not be like you, and I love it.

:cool:

KIKO
15-08-10, 16:38
I donít want to watch football because I really want to mind my own business. It makes me sleepy and I don't like it.

Is this right?:p I don't understand the "Anti stereotype" part.

yes that's right

TheBloodRed
15-08-10, 16:51
I donít want to get married because I really want to not waste time and resources on something that isn't necessary. It makes me happy to know that I am with the person I love.

Minty Mouth
15-08-10, 16:52
Well almost everybody has a car and that for me has turned into a stereotype around here.

So the stereotype is that everybody drives a car? You can't sterotype everybody, can you? A stereotype is about a specific social or economic group, etc. Driving is more of a social-norm.

Anyway, I don't understand this game :p

KIKO
15-08-10, 17:11
So the stereotype is that everybody drives a car? You can't sterotype everybody, can you? A stereotype is about a specific social or economic group, etc. Driving is more of a social-norm.

Anyway, I don't understand this game :p

I'm just saying that having a car is really common and you're most likely to have one or need to and I'm saying I don't want to. Got it ?

Minty Mouth
15-08-10, 17:20
I'm just saying that having a car is really common and you're most likely to have one or need to and I'm saying I don't want to. Got it ?

A social-norm is pretty much the opposite of a setreotype. Steroptypes are usually born of prejudice against a certain group of people, giving them a reputation they they don't merit. If driving is really common then it isn't a stereotype, it's just a custom. I wouldn't call it a stereotype.

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 17:21
A social-norm is pretty much the opposite of a setreotype. Steroptypes are usually born of prejudice against a certain group of people, giving them a reputation they they don't merit. If driving is really common then it isn't a stereotype, it's just a custom. I wouldn't call it a stereotype.
But there's an element of truth in most if not all stereotypes.

Minty Mouth
15-08-10, 17:24
But there's an element of truth in most if not all stereotypes.

All goths drive cars.
Female drivers are bad at parking.
All drivers swear a lot.

These kinds of things would be stereotypes. Everyone drives is too broad.

coolaideonfire
15-08-10, 17:26
Assuming KIKO is male there's a stereotype that men should be into cars/drive.

Minty Mouth
15-08-10, 17:31

True. But that's not the way it has been represented in the thread so far.

just*raidin*tomb
15-08-10, 17:34
I don’t want to get wasted, get my license, buy a fake ID, hit the clubs because I really want to go for walks, design my games, draw some pictures, listen to good music, and drink chocolate milk. It makes me feel really cool to not be like you, and I love it.

:cool:

This is awesome. Yes it is.

I don’t want to make fun of geeks and be a preppy teenage *****, because I really want to be that kid in the corner that never talks. It makes me happy inside and I don't like it.

I'm not sure if I did that right. This is a little confusing. :p

TheBloodRed
15-08-10, 17:52

I thought it was referring to being Asian!! :vlol:

Alpharaider47
15-08-10, 17:54
All goths drive cars.
Female drivers are bad at parking.
All drivers swear a lot.

These kinds of things would be stereotypes. Everyone drives is too broad.

Well if you're going more like that, with all inclusive statements, but certainly some goths drive cars, some women are crappy parkers, and I know for a fact that quite a few drivers swear a lot :p That's all I'm getting at anyways, just being nitpicky I guess :D

toxicraider
15-08-10, 18:04
I'd call these more 'social obligations' or practices, things you are expected to do, rather than stereotypes, the game should be called 'the nonconformist game'.
If you use a stereotype in the game, you should at least mention what group it is that the stereotype is supposed to apply to.

KIKO
15-08-10, 18:06
True. But that's not the way it has been represented in the thread so far.

Well the car thing was my post so it should not "harm" the game just because it's the first post and I don't think I should go explaining why I think driving a car is...well, let's move on please.