PDA

View Full Version : Parents & Computers

nerdalicious
12-12-04, 23:56
My mother, god love her, is like a monkey in an algebra class when it comes to computers. She just doesn't get anything & is apt to start screeching & throwing things. She is the classic 'caller from hell' in tech support stories, the one who calls in a panic when her screensaver comes on, thinking her computer is broken or something. She will make me come all the way over to her house b/c something's not working. Then when it works the first time for me, she will get mad & INSIST 'That's what I did the first time!' Obviously not, mom.

This is a woman who, by merely driving someone's car, can make their 'check engine' light come on. Her computer stupidities are many...

My mother's computer (which is really my father's) at home caught on fire once when she was using it. She came home one day & told me how she had been using her computer , and it had literally caught on fire & she was so terrified, etc... I told her it was probably a faulty power source or something, since computers today have built-in mechanisms to shut off if they get too hot, thus preventing fire, but she won't hear it. Computers are dangerous, and she starts to get scared when she's on one for more than 30 minutes b/c "that's when they're liable to catch fire".

Half the time when I come over to my mom's and use the computer, I will find the power strip unplugged from the wall. When I ask her why the hell she turns it off AND unplugs it, she tells me that she wants to 'make sure it's really off'. Oi.

For years my mother did not even know how to turn on their home computer. They bought a top of the line Packard Bell 486 in 1995, and my mother to this day still does not know how to turn it on. No amout of telling her to 'push the little button on the front' could get her to try to do it herself. Whenever she needed to use it, me or my dad would have to drop what we were doing & go turn it on for her. The kicker is, she'd get irate if we didn't do it right away & she had to wait for us to finish what we were doing.

Subsequently, on one of MY computers that I'm letting her use now, she manages to screw up the 'hibernation' feature half the time. I set it so that all you have to do is push the power button to make it hibernate(kind of like 'suspended animation' for computers) anywhere in Windows so that she doesn't even have to go through the process of shutdown or anything, and she still manages to screw it up. She'll press the monitor's power button or the printer's & then call me in a tirade, yelling about how 'this damn thing doesn't work right! I can hear it running AFTER I turned it off & now it's gonna catch on fire & burn my house down!!!' She also cannot figure out how to hang up a cell phone, if that tells you anything.

My father, a computer user since 1995, had absolutely no clue what the right mouse button was for or what right-clicking did up until about a year ago. He had no idea that it brought up the little menu or anything. When I showed him how to right-click & all the things it could do for him, he was honestly amazed. He spent a good half-hour on the computer that night, right-clicking things & saying 'Well, I'll be damned...'

My dad also had no idea that you could listen to music on computers. He was using the cd-rom drive one time & asked me what would happen if he put a music cd in there. I told him it would play the music & he looked at me incredulously & said 'You're kidding!'. I showed him how to play music cds & he was fascinated.

I love them but sometime they can be so http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif

tazmine
13-12-04, 00:32
Hmmm...you're younger than my daughter, so I'm guessing they're either younger than, or about my age......AM I EVER GOOD!!! Hehe. :D

If I don't think to tell you before you go, have a wonderful trip. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 13. December 2004, 00:34: Message edited by: tazmine ]

nerdalicious
13-12-04, 01:49
My dad is in his late 50's and my mum is early 50's!

I am sure I will have a fab trip, will miss you all though, I do not plan to waste on minute of London by sitting on the pc, so I will have pics when I return http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif

Olvidarse
13-12-04, 02:09
I'm thankful that my mom know how to use a computer. She can use all the properties of each mouse button! She knows how surf the internet, and can even buy things off of amazon.com!

Since my dad can play video games on the computer (but nothing else), she knows how to run apps. Or a better defense would be to hide the games from my dad. Well, she knows how to play tetris....

My dad, on the other hand, gets cranky when we don't help him with the computer. Then he blames me for not teaching him how to use it, which leaves me like :confused: .

New-Raider
13-12-04, 03:48
Originally posted by nerdalicious:
My mother, god love her, is like a monkey in an algebra class when it comes to computers. She just doesn't get anything & is apt to start screeching & throwing things. She is the classic 'caller from hell' in tech support stories, the one who calls in a panic when her screensaver comes on, thinking her computer is broken or something. She will make me come all the way over to her house b/c something's not working. Then when it works the first time for me, she will get mad & INSIST 'That's what I did the first time!' Obviously not, mom.

This is a woman who, by merely driving someone's car, can make their 'check engine' light come on. Her computer stupidities are many...

My mother's computer (which is really my father's) at home caught on fire once when she was using it. She came home one day & told me how she had been using her computer , and it had literally caught on fire & she was so terrified, etc... I told her it was probably a faulty power source or something, since computers today have built-in mechanisms to shut off if they get too hot, thus preventing fire, but she won't hear it. Computers are dangerous, and she starts to get scared when she's on one for more than 30 minutes b/c "that's when they're liable to catch fire".

Half the time when I come over to my mom's and use the computer, I will find the power strip unplugged from the wall. When I ask her why the hell she turns it off AND unplugs it, she tells me that she wants to 'make sure it's really off'. Oi.

For years my mother did not even know how to turn on their home computer. They bought a top of the line Packard Bell 486 in 1995, and my mother to this day still does not know how to turn it on. No amout of telling her to 'push the little button on the front' could get her to try to do it herself. Whenever she needed to use it, me or my dad would have to drop what we were doing & go turn it on for her. The kicker is, she'd get irate if we didn't do it right away & she had to wait for us to finish what we were doing.

Subsequently, on one of MY computers that I'm letting her use now, she manages to screw up the 'hibernation' feature half the time. I set it so that all you have to do is push the power button to make it hibernate(kind of like 'suspended animation' for computers) anywhere in Windows so that she doesn't even have to go through the process of shutdown or anything, and she still manages to screw it up. She'll press the monitor's power button or the printer's & then call me in a tirade, yelling about how 'this damn thing doesn't work right! I can hear it running AFTER I turned it off & now it's gonna catch on fire & burn my house down!!!' She also cannot figure out how to hang up a cell phone, if that tells you anything.

My father, a computer user since 1995, had absolutely no clue what the right mouse button was for or what right-clicking did up until about a year ago. He had no idea that it brought up the little menu or anything. When I showed him how to right-click & all the things it could do for him, he was honestly amazed. He spent a good half-hour on the computer that night, right-clicking things & saying 'Well, I'll be damned...'

My dad also had no idea that you could listen to music on computers. He was using the cd-rom drive one time & asked me what would happen if he put a music cd in there. I told him it would play the music & he looked at me incredulously & said 'You're kidding!'. I showed him how to play music cds & he was fascinated.

I love them but sometime they can be so http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/c-1.gif Sounds like the type who still has a blinking 12:00 on her VCR.

First of all, on a complete computer illiterate, start her off with the basics.
Turn off the screen saver and energy saver.
Do not give her access to sleep/hibernate commands.
Don't mix her up with shutdown and logoff (hide logoff in Taskbar and Start Menu Advanced options), but show the shutdown and restart options.
Don't hint at restore points (she doesn't need to know that yet).
Restrict access to the internet with a password based software, or take out the server on her computer.
The best way to figure out computers (this goes for other things too) is just to play around with them.
I'm assuming she is either too old or not willing to go to computer shows, but they're are other places she can get the hand of it.
Toys 'R' Us might have a golf game set up.
This is good for hand-eye coordination.
Next we go to Radio Shack to use the Atari/Namco joypad where Ms. Pacman, Dig Dug, Space Invaders, Gallaga, Joust, Defender, and more are controled with one controller.
I know games don't really teach computer, but that's just a starting point.
Now it's off to K-Mart for their electronics section.
Here you will find games on display, but an edutainment game here can work wonders.
This can be followed up by buying the $15 program for her.
I think I started calling a program an application when I got my own computer after high school, but she doesn't need to know "computereez" just yet.
A popup window?
That must be something you look out of that won't stay closed.
A dropdown window?
That must be a window that has broken glass that drops to the floor.
A desktop?
That one's easy to explain with the help of icons.

She should know what icons are by now (since they aren't just used in computers), but if she doesn't, put up Microsoft Word, or any Macros based word processor before you call her in.
Use the Wingding font to make simple recognisable non colored symbols.
I suggest a smile, a sad face, a skull, and a bomb.
These are the general gaming icons.
Smile = Correct (or getting warmer)
Sad = Wrong (or getting colder)
Skull = Danger (or caution)
Bomb = Dead (or time expired)
A program that allows you to create your own games may be in order.
Javascript appellates would also help when she gets the hang of it, but she doesn't need to know anything about the language, including the name (a cup of coffee you can write on).

Now on to the desktop explanation:
She can see already that each simple picture means something without going in detail.
For the computer screen, business users like the icons lined up in a row so it's easy to find things.
This is like you're looking down at (guess what) the top of a desk.
Just to continue the game making software, you can use the "Marlett" font, which gives you a more "hands on" approach to computers.
"Minimize", "Maximize", and "Close" are probably the easiest functions to teach her with this font.