PDA

View Full Version : How Identity Thieves Operate

aktrekker
18-08-10, 01:56
Based on a couple of other threads I think this article might prove useful.
http://shine.yahoo.com/event/financiallyfit/13-things-an-identity-thief-wont-tell-you-2299277/

It lists 13 ways identity thieves collect information. Highlights:

1. Watch your back. In line at the grocery store, I’ll hold my phone like I’m looking at the screen and snap your card as you’re using it. Next thing you know, I’m ordering things online—on your dime.
6. That’s me driving through your neighborhood at 3 a.m. on trash day. I fill my trunk with bags of garbage from different houses, then sort later.
7. You throw away the darnedest things—preapproved credit card applications, old bills, expired credit cards, checking account deposit slips, and crumpled-up job or loan applications with all your personal information.

t-raider26
18-08-10, 05:21
D: Thats kinda freaky. If I had credit cards and stuff I'd be so paranoid. Im gonna show my parents.

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 05:39
I have nothing to worry about. Everything with my name and address on it is immediately shredded to pieces before it's desposed of. And God knows I make sure my personal information is secure and destroyed before leaving my house! Mother taught me well.

Thanks for this though. It's nice to have a reminder.

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 05:41
I'm pretty good about shredding everything :D Shredding is fun... to me anyways :p Also keep my card pretty well covered and I prefer paying in cash anyhow :o

But that's some good info, definitely some things to keep in mind.

Lara's Nemesis
18-08-10, 05:45
I'm pretty good about shredding everything :D Shredding is fun... to me anyways :p Also keep my card pretty well covered and I prefer paying in cash anyhow :o

But that's some good info, definitely some things to keep in mind.

Good to hear that there is at least one other person in the world who still prefers paying in cash. :p

Everytime I got to the supermarket I always go to the cashline and get money out first. I suppose it just feels more real to me when you have to handle over actual money rather that typing some numbers in on a card.

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 05:48
Good to hear that there is at least one other person in the world who still prefers paying in cash. :p

Everytime I got to the supermarket I always go to the cashline and get money out first. I suppose it just feels more real to me when you have to handle over actual money rather that typing some numbers in on a card.

:vlol: I think in a way I take satisfaction in inconveniencing the cashiers :o But it just feels better to actually hand over money... it's like you can see it, there it is; no mucking about in cyberspace. And you can't overspend if you don't have enough cash ;)

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 05:54
:vlol: I think in a way I take satisfaction in inconveniencing the cashiers :o But it just feels better to actually hand over money... it's like you can see it, there it is; no mucking about in cyberspace. And you can't overspend if you don't have enough cash ;)

I agree. :p

I have a credit card for emergency purposes only...although I do occasionally use it and pay it off to build my credit.

star-dust
18-08-10, 05:57
I'm a burner... burn EVERYTHING! :pi:

HEYYY. Sometimes I want to throttle people who take forever getting out their money and what not at my register. I prefer them to pay with credit/debit so I don't have to worry about counting change or anything, haha!

But now a days cash is definately safer. It's scary what can happen when your identity is stolen. And being a cashier I definately see how people are carless about waving their credit cards around and what not. Everyone should be on the look out.

Drone
18-08-10, 05:59
How about this?

Dirty Fingers Can Reveal Your Smartphone Password

http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u69/smartphone_smudge.jpg
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/psa_dirty_fingers_can_reveal_your_smartphone_passw ord

Lara's Nemesis
18-08-10, 06:01

From a customers point of view it always seems quicker when people pay with cash to me. It probably is a bit more inconvenient for the cashier these days tho.

Anytime I go to the supermarket I basially want out of the place as soon as possible.:D

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:01
I agree. :p

I have a credit card for emergency purposes only...although I do occasionally use it and pay it off to build my credit.
I've just got a debit card, probably going to have to get an actual credit card soon, but I'll have to be real careful with it.
I'm a burner... burn EVERYTHING! :pi:

HEYYY. Sometimes I want to throttle people who take forever getting out their money and what not at my register. I prefer them to pay with credit/debit so I don't have to worry about counting change or anything, haha!

But now a days cash is definately safer. It's scary what can happen when your identity is stolen. And being a cashier I definately see how people are carless about waving their credit cards around and what not. Everyone should be on the look out.

Burning is fun too :p

Well I was gonna say that once I get a job I may not enjoy that so much :D

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 06:08
I've just got a debit card, probably going to have to get an actual credit card soon, but I'll have to be real careful with it.

Yeah I have both. It's kind of annoying to be honest. :/

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:10
Yeah I have both. It's kind of annoying to be honest. :/

I bet, I find cheques annoying enough :vlol: :L

star-dust
18-08-10, 06:11
I bet, I find cheques annoying enough :vlol: :L

How many people actually still use cheques? I haven't seen one in ages.

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:14
How many people actually still use cheques? I haven't seen one in ages.

I don't actually use em, but my parents are finally sitting me down and making me learn...

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 06:16
What the crap are cheques?

star-dust
18-08-10, 06:16
I don't actually use em, but my parents are finally sitting me down and making me learn...

Oh. Ha, well I'm going to keep a look out for cheques from now on. Those seem easy to fraud... But I'm just saying this after watching, "Catch me if you can"... :p

This is a cheque:

http://www.cwbank.com/images/personal_banking/cheque_standard.jpg

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:20
I think we actually spell it checks here =/ idk it never looked right to me so I went with cheques, screw what you say English teachers!
Wikipedia describes them as-
A cheque or check (American English) is a piece of paper (usually) that orders a payment of money. The person writing the cheque, the drawer, usually has a chequing account where their money is deposited. The drawer writes the various details including the money amount, date, and a payee on the cheque, and signs it, ordering their bank, know as the drawee, to pay this person or company the amount of money stated.
Oh. Ha, well I'm going to keep a look out for cheques from now on. Those seem easy to fraud... But I'm just saying this after watching, "Catch me if you can"... :p
Most experience I have with em is thanks to graduation, got a bunch of em that i had to take to the bank. But I don't use em if I can avoid it (I have so far :p) Yeah they do seem like they'd be easy to fraud, but I don't know enough to say for sure haha

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 06:20

This is a cheque:

http://www.cwbank.com/images/personal_banking/cheque_standard.jpg

Oh my god. - _- I am so stupid. I thought it was spelt as "check" this whole time. That's why I was confused. Wow...grammar fail.

EDIT: Yeah we spell it "check." I think "cheque" is cooler. I'm going to start spelling it that way...

I have a cheque book and I've never used it. My parents make me get these things, but it's just pointless and annoying.

I guess it'll help me in the long run though.

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:25
Oh my god. - _- I am so stupid. I thought it was spelt as "check" this whole time. That's why I was confused. Wow...grammar fail.

EDIT: Yeah we spell it "check." I think "cheque" is cooler. I'm going to start spelling it that way...

I have a cheque book and I've never used it. My parents make me get these things, but it's just pointless...

See I say "check mark" and "cheque" Makes soooo much more sense does it not? Just like it's "colour" :p

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 06:28
See I say "check mark" and "cheque" Makes soooo much more sense does it not? Just like it's "colour" :p

I know right?

Lets not forget "theatre" and "shoppe". :p

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 06:34
I know right?

And centre...

sandygrimm
18-08-10, 07:08
Well, lucky I do't have to worry bout credit cards, Only one I have is for faculty use only, and even that I havn't udes in 2 years.
As for identity, I doubt anyone would want my identity, I don't have in my name:p

scoopy_loopy
18-08-10, 10:04
Taking pictures of the credit card would hardly work - what about the verification code on the rear?

lunavixen
18-08-10, 10:14
From a customers point of view it always seems quicker when people pay with cash to me. It probably is a bit more inconvenient for the cashier these days tho.

Anytime I go to the supermarket I basially want out of the place as soon as possible.:D
well, it's actually better with cash where i am, it's a lot faster and less problems

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-10, 10:17
*makes a mental note to shred everything*

Apathetic
18-08-10, 10:19
Taking pictures of the credit card would hardly work - what about the verification code on the rear?

I thought that as well.

scoopy_loopy
18-08-10, 10:20
I know right?

As far as I know, I don't think shoppe is widely used... I've only seen it on a few old-fashioned speciality (or just really old) stores and shops going for the period theme. But I don't live in Britain, so correct me at any time if it's more popular over there :p

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-10, 10:25
As far as I know, I don't think shoppe is widely used... I've only seen it on a few old-fashioned speciality (or just really old) stores and shops going for the period theme. But I don't live in Britain, so correct me at any time if it's more popular over there :p

No its not popular over here :p

Agent 47
18-08-10, 12:08
I know right?

And centre...

Blame the French, the English aren't to blame for those spellings :vlol:

Also, what in the Dickens is this "shoppe" you speak of, tis a word i've never seen before :D

As for cheques, one of the early ones written in the UK are currently in The British Museum - London centuries old :D

scoopy_loopy
18-08-10, 12:34
No its not popular over here :p

I wouldn't think so :p :vlol:

Hurrah for British English! :D

star-dust
18-08-10, 16:40

I think sometimes all that is needed is just the card number and the expiration date. No verification code would be needed.

Alpharaider47
18-08-10, 16:51
Blame the French, the English aren't to blame for those spellings :vlol:

Also, what in the Dickens is this "shoppe" you speak of, tis a word i've never seen before :D

As for cheques, one of the early ones written in the UK are currently in The British Museum - London centuries old :D

Oh I'm not blaming anybody for those, I'm blaming the US for *not* using them :p But yeah I'd heard it had something to do with the French...

As for the verification number on cards, yeah I hadn't thought about that, I wonder if they know some way of getting that/figuring it out as well?

TRfan23
18-08-10, 18:32
That's why my dad bought a cross shredder (One that shreds up and sideways) for old stuff with personal information on like credit cards etc... :)