PDA

View Full Version : 1 in 5 US teenagers has slight hearing loss

aktrekker
18-08-10, 08:36
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_hearing_loss_teens

So what does it mean?

A teenager with slight hearing loss might not be able to hear water dripping or his mother whispering "good night."
"Although speech will be detectable, it might not be fully intelligible."

One of Fligor's patients, 17-year-old Matthew Brady of Foxborough, Mass., recently was diagnosed with mild hearing loss. He has trouble hearing his friends in the school cafeteria. He ends up faking comprehension.

Habitual listening at those levels can turn microscopic hair cells in the inner ear into scar tissue, Fligor said.

Turn down your iPods!!!!!!!!!

lunavixen
18-08-10, 09:51
makes me glad i have a volume limiter on mine

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-10, 09:57
*turns ipod down* :p

badboy70
18-08-10, 09:57
I'm still able to listen to my music on the lowest volume without problems.
And I go to loud-music parties a lot.
Guess I'm lucky then.

scoopy_loopy
18-08-10, 09:58
*turns down music*

Minty Mouth
18-08-10, 10:00
Heard it all before; but music just ain't right if it isn't loud.

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-10, 10:03

i know right? :p Also, even if I do turn my tv down my Granny has her tv soooo loud you think your eardrums are gonna burst, and I visit her everyday so the damage is already done :o

Nausinous
18-08-10, 10:06
My hearing loss has mostly occurred because I work in a call centre and I have old people shout down the phone at me.

moodydog
18-08-10, 10:09
turns music right down

igonge
18-08-10, 10:47
WHAT!? :p

SkyPuppy
18-08-10, 11:22

^ this. i mean, i will listen to my music on low, but it's just not the same.

Chocola teapot
18-08-10, 13:47
Mine's Ruined then, I'm probably one of those one in five.

:p

Oh well.

Shauni
18-08-10, 14:03
I believe it. I play my music quiet and it does seem as though I hear better than my friends who play music loudly.

And if you are going to play music loud, it should be with speakers and not on your iPod if you're worried about your hearing. ^_^

SkyPuppy
18-08-10, 14:21
I believe it. I play my music quiet and it does seem as though I hear better than my friends who play music loudly.

And if you are going to play music loud, it should be with speakers and not on your iPod if you're worried about your hearing. ^_^

i rather not get betched at by my parents. >_<

tranniversary119
18-08-10, 14:24

So true. I'll definitely be deaf by the time I'm 50 :o.

Chocola teapot
18-08-10, 14:24
So true. I'll definitely be deaf by the time I'm 50 :o.

*Nods*

:/

Ikas90
18-08-10, 14:40
I don't use iPods that frequently. Only when I'm travelling and don't have my computer.

MiCkiZ88
18-08-10, 14:44
I've been complaining to a certain somebody about listening to music too loud. He listens to the music so loud that when I try to listen, it hurts my ears. I usually listen to it like at 20-25% of the max volume.

I have very good hearing, even though I have been to concerts and clubs for ages. :D

Encore
18-08-10, 14:48
When I use earbuds I can't really endure loud volume for long, and I don't know how other people can do that. It's really uncomfortable.

However, when I'm using good headphones, with a great bass, THEN I tend to put it really really loud. :o

thecentaur
18-08-10, 14:52
WHAT!? :p

I see what you did there :b

MiCkiZ88
18-08-10, 14:53
I can't stand inner ear plugs.. bass is great, sound is amazing, but I get a nasty headache from them :/

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 15:23
~Looks at title & first post~

Turn down your iPods!!!!!!!!!

Ha! I'm Northern Irish! No hearing loss for me. :) ~Turns up iPod~ :p

That is terrible. But it's not surprising (there is a reason that performers wear ear protection at live concerts however) :o But I think I'm one of those teenagers. My hearing was great just three months ago, but since I got my iPod and really got into music, my hearing has been slightly off. :( ~Turns iPod down again~

Originally Posted by MiCkiZ88
I can't stand inner ear plugs.. bass is great, sound is amazing, but I get a nasty headache from them :/

I can't imagine listening to music without inner ear headphones! :yik: ~Inner ear headphones break~ Oh darn.

I, Tomb Raider
18-08-10, 15:33
:eek:

I will never listen to music on my MP4 player. :yik:

trXD
18-08-10, 15:47
http://www.nelsonguirado.com/media/blogs/religion/shrug.jpg

Don't like the sound of dripping taps anyway :p

tombraiderxii
18-08-10, 15:55
http://www.nelsonguirado.com/media/blogs/religion/shrug.jpg

Don't like the sound of dripping taps anyway :p

:vlol:

I used to put volume 100% on my iPod, but all I does is hurt your ears, so now I listen at around the 75% mark, maybe a little less than that with bass booster, so it evens everything out and it's not that loud, and my hearing is fine :confused:

However it annoys me how some of my friends have hypersensitive hearing and always complain when I listen to music while I work, even when if it is at he 25% to 50% Mark of the volume bar. :mad: Now how the heck am I supposed to work?! Music helps me concentrate, well, certain ones anyway. :p

Super Badnik
18-08-10, 15:57
I knew not getting an iPod would pay off.

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 15:58
However it annoys me how some of my friends have hypersensitive hearing and always complain when I listen to music while I work, even when if it is at he 25% to 50% Mark of the volume bar. :mad: Now how the heck am I supposed to work?! Music helps me concentrate, well, certain ones anyway. :p

Same here. My friends have selective hearing; they don't hear me when I give an opinion, but somehow hear the music I listen to when I have my iPod at a moderate volume, and then say "That music's crap!" (according to them: "If it ain't Muse, it ain't worth listening to."Me: >.> "Ugh" <.<)

HappyShannon
18-08-10, 16:32
My iPod's a ***** and I can't adjust the volume when my headphones are in D:

lara c. fan
18-08-10, 16:36
I don't have an iPod. Or use headphones at loud volumes at all. Guess I'm safe :p

larafan25
18-08-10, 16:38
I usually just listen to the radio or CDs on my computer. Never actually use ipods. So I am good.:D

da tomb raider!
18-08-10, 20:15
I don't own a pair of earphones or headphones, let alone an iPod. So I'm definitely safe. :D

tombraiderxii
18-08-10, 20:57
Same here. My friends have selective hearing; they don't hear me when I give an opinion, but somehow hear the music I listen to when I have my iPod at a moderate volume, and then say "That music's crap!" (according to them: "If it ain't Muse, it ain't worth listening to."Me: >.> "Ugh" <.<)

*high five*

I guess I'm safe. My Hearin is just fine. My listening however... :whi: I guess it needs some work :p

CerebralAssassin
18-08-10, 21:03
don;t have earphones.I prefer to annoy the people around me with ma music than to put on earphones:whi:

toxicraider
18-08-10, 21:06
I had hearing problems as a child, but I've been pretty careful with earphones and music, so now my hearing's relatively good for my age group. :p
I used to find speech quite hard to understand sometimes, especially people with poor diction, and I still mishear sometimes, but I can hear the sound of food being opened from a mile radius, funny that. :p

[Xmas]
18-08-10, 21:15
Just tone down the volume everyone!! :ton:

Uzi master
18-08-10, 21:22
if it's a study of teenagers then why does the guy in the picture look nine?

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 21:34

It's all dependant on how developed you are. I'm almost 15, but most people who meet me assume that I'm about 10-12 years old based on my height and my face.

Tony9595
18-08-10, 21:39
But... I love my iPod :hug:

Minty Mouth
18-08-10, 21:39
I'd say that was a slight underestimate. :p

trlestew
18-08-10, 21:41
I don't even own an i-p

wait, didn't I just post something like this before?

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 21:43
But... I love my iPod :hug:

Aww... but that's the point of getting older. Once you hit double digits, BAM. No more toys :o no more free-time :( and triple the homework :hea:... and then you hit secondary school ~AoD Lara Scream~

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 21:43
Don't surprise me. I'll be sharing headphones with someone and they're blasting it and it hurts my ears!! I tell them to turn that crap down and then they can barely hear it. :confused:

Rachel Croft
19-08-10, 00:31
Mmmhhmmm, and those statistics aren't obviously very accurate...

Sir Croft
19-08-10, 00:34
It looks like I don't listen to music as loud as I'd thought. I can hear a screw falling on the ground 10 feet away from me. :p

Solice
19-08-10, 00:54
What?

aktrekker
19-08-10, 03:19
Mmmhhmmm, and those statistics aren't obviously very accurate...
Based on the responses to the thread so far it seems to be about right.

Alpharaider47
19-08-10, 06:18
I think rather than my ipod, I'll blame the aircraft I spent time around a year or so back, when I was volunteering at the local aircraft museum :p C-47's are really loud when you're up close, earplugs or not :vlol: But tbh I haven't noticed any problems with my hearing, I seem to score really well on those hearing test things and I'm pretty sensitive to certain electronics and stuff.

EmeraldFields
19-08-10, 06:32
Hearing aids ftw?

star-dust
19-08-10, 06:35
Don't surprise me. I'll be sharing headphones with someone and they're blasting it and it hurts my ears!! I tell them to turn that crap down and then they can barely hear it. :confused:

Same here. I can be about 7 feet away from a person and I can hear their music. I always tend to think how can they stand it? But it's clear that they're listening to it that loud because they've already ruined their hearing.

Minty Mouth
19-08-10, 06:37
Hearing aids ftw?

Even if you never listened to loud music in your life, I think it would be quite hard to hear that.

Alpharaider47
19-08-10, 06:37
Same here. I can be about 7 feet away from a person and I can hear their music. I always tend to think how can they stand it? But it's clear that they're listening to it that loud because they've already ruined their hearing.

I hate that xD There was a guy in one of my morning classes who had his ipod up so loud that, sitting in the back of the classroom, I could hear him as he was walking down the hall.

Kapu
19-08-10, 06:44
I never listen to my iPod very loudly unless there's a lot of background noise so I can't hear it unless it's up or if I'm home alone and I feel like blasting it and singing really badly. :D But I usually just play the music from my computer, then.

TheCoolJazz
19-08-10, 08:40
I don't really hear music that loud.. like when i listin to something like rock or metal i put the volume on low but when i listin to techno, dance or house i put it on a little higher volume.

peeves
19-08-10, 20:17
Poor guy :( I'm just glad not to be no teenager no more. lol.