PDA

View Full Version : Powerful people don't use cell phones

aktrekker
18-08-10, 08:55
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/110267/strongest-job-markets?mod=career-leadership

It seems powerful people realize how cell phones allow other people to control your time. They know how costly that really is. It reduces both the quantity and quality of time you spend with someone.
Even when you don't answer it right away, you have been distracted. Part of your brain's capacity will now be occupied with the call even though you are ignoring it. You won't be able to give your full attention to what you are doing. Not only does this affect the people you are currently dealing with, it can distract you just enough that you start to make mistakes. Depending on your activity, that can be pretty dangerous.

But no need to get rid of your cell phone. Just turn it off (not vibrate, off) until a time you choose. Then check your messages and reply as necessary. Then turn it off again.

You'll find that this will help you focus better. You'll do better work. You'll appreciate your off time more. Fun will be more fun.

Hey, when billionaires start getting rid of their cell phones, maybe you should follow their example. They had to be doing something right to become billionaires.

Apathetic
18-08-10, 09:25
So if I stop using cellphones, I'll suddenly become rich.....

xXhayleyroxXx
18-08-10, 09:44
I dont have a cellphone right now but I will get another one, I did used to turn it off a lot of the time though for this very reason. I find having a cellphone very distracting!

Niveus
18-08-10, 09:46
Don't have one. It would be weird being constantly on my phone, like my friends. I'm glad I never had one. :p

mudkip25
18-08-10, 09:50
Damn, I'm on a phone 24/7

badboy70
18-08-10, 09:51
Damn, I'm on a phone 24/7Me too. I always want a top notch phone :p

scoopy_loopy
18-08-10, 09:59
Lmao. Billionaires have people to check their messages and make phone calls for them! Of course it's easy for them to give up carting their own phone around.

Chocola teapot
18-08-10, 14:14
It's True!! >.>

I don't use a phone anymore.

Draco
18-08-10, 14:27
Obama isn't allowed to use his Blackberry, and it isn't because Blackberry is a steamin' pile o' schnapps.

Ikas90
18-08-10, 14:37
I'm not popular enough, so I don't have to worry. :p

larafan25
18-08-10, 15:40
I'm not rich and I don't use a cell phone. However I don't have a job, and I am only 16.:pi:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-08-10, 15:41
I feel sorry for people who spend every waking second ****ing around with their phones... They're missing out on actually living.

larson n natla
18-08-10, 15:44
I haven't used my mobile phone since last year when it broke, even then I only received calls and only called out for important reasons.

Phones are just an annoyance especially when you see your friends constantly checking and texting.

Draco
18-08-10, 20:19
My cell phone is my link to all of you. Without it, nobody would hear from me unless I called them from a payphone.

Minty Mouth
18-08-10, 20:20
Nobody contacts me on mine anyway, so I'm good.

Avalon SARL
18-08-10, 20:39
i believe, thinking this way is DISTRACTING...

So, about the call, they will be distracted bcz of a missed call...

There are many other more important things in life that it is better to get distracted, thinking about them than be distracted bcz of a phone :confused:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
18-08-10, 20:39
My cell phone is my link to all of you. Without it, nobody would hear from me unless I called them from a payphone.

Do you use it as a modem for your computer or do you actually post on the forum from the phone?

lara c. fan
18-08-10, 20:40
I think I last topped up my phone with 10 back at the start of July. I haven't even used up 5 yet. Should give a clue of how little I use it :p

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 20:40
Meh. I never really used my mobile very much. I'm thinking of getting a new one for my 15th. When I did it did take quite a bit of time, but when I knew a call would cost a lot or last a while, I'd call the person, quickly hang up and then they'd call me. My little trick for making others pay for my calls :whi:

But the point this thread is putting across is very true; I know people whose #1 priority is to "Call him, text her etc" I hate people like that, it makes me mad to know that people have so little self control over what they do in their freetime.

techno-atom
18-08-10, 21:27
I honestly couldn't go a day without my iPhone because I constantly am texting my significant other as it's one of the only ways we can stay in contact through distance other than calling. If I wasn't in a relationship then I probably wouldn't give two hoots about the things. :p But I do admit that I'm distracted with my phone... I play with it a lot. :jmp:

trlestew
18-08-10, 21:29
I don't even have a phone...

Society baffles me. :l

aktrekker
18-08-10, 21:29
it makes me mad to know that people have so little self control over what they do in their freetime.
What free time?
That's the point of the article.

Check out this article. Very interesting.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Outdoors-and-Out-of-Reach-nytimes-4046751837.html?x=0

A.JJ.G
18-08-10, 21:32
What free time?
That's the point of the article.

Check out this article. Very interesting.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Outdoors-and-Out-of-Reach-nytimes-4046751837.html?x=0

Oops. Sorry, I usually misread the first post '-_-

just*raidin*tomb
18-08-10, 21:45
I don't even own a cellphone. :) I hate talking on the phone.

robm_2007
18-08-10, 21:48
I don't even own a cellphone. :) I hate talking on the phone.

i dont either; and so do i.

Rachel Croft
19-08-10, 00:30
I have a phone, but I litterally NEVER use it....it's freaking annoying unless you absolutely need to talk to someone.

Draco
19-08-10, 03:47
Do you use it as a modem for your computer or do you actually post on the forum from the phone?

Both.

TombRaiderFan.
19-08-10, 04:40
BS

I love my smartphone. I do everything with it. In fact, it helps me keep up with what my friends are doing and actually helps me be more social. I can only say it makes my life easier. Email, music, internet, friends, etc. all in one place.

Plus, as far as I know, BB phones are popluar among business men and women, so this doesn't make much sense to me.

MattTR
19-08-10, 05:14
I text less and less as the years go on, but my iPhone has been one of my most useful purchases yet. :tmb:

Alpharaider47
19-08-10, 06:51
I rather hate phones :D First of all I've got nobody to talk to on mine, and second my parents use it as a method of annoying the crap out of me... Mum, I'm just upstairs, you can walk up here and talk to me, you don't have to text me...

If I had someone to talk to/text regularly then I might change my mind, until then I don't *need* a phone :p

Fun is definitely more fun when your phone is off and out of sight :D

aktrekker
19-08-10, 14:24
Plus, as far as I know, BB phones are popluar among business men and women, so this doesn't make much sense to me.
We aren't talking just normal business people here. We're talking Billionaires. The extremely wealthy. Their time is important and they don't want other people controlling it.

And you really should read the second article I linked to. It's by psychologists and brain researchers.

interstellardave
19-08-10, 14:29
I just wish people would put their damn phones away when they're driving. I see people everywhere when I'm driving holding them to their ears; and I'm talking about a truly significant percentage of drivers here.

I wish I had cannons mounted on the front of my car so I could blow them off the road before they hurt/kill me or someone else.

Capt. Murphy
19-08-10, 14:31
This is exactly why I, myself, hate cell phones. People being able to track you down when you just want to be left alone. Although, I probably wouldn't have to worry about that... Unless it was for work or something.

----------------------
There should be a Poll... If this hasn't been done yet.

What is your first reaction when you hear the phone ring?

A good/happy/excited feeling - because I love getting calls and talking to anybody and everybody...? :jmp:

A bad/angry/upset feeling - because I don't want to bothered and I have much more interesting things to do with my valuable time...? :hea:

I don't care either way. :cool:
-----------------------

Please? :o If not, fine! :mad:

:vlol:

Draco
19-08-10, 16:27
Turn it off?