PDA

View Full Version : Are people really this hyper-sensitive?

_Awestruck_
20-08-10, 04:06
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/19/jennifer-aniston-says-ret_n_687760.html

:rolleyes: Do people really get insulted by this stuff? God forbid a normal person who's every word isn't magnified says this and nobody cares, but when someone in the public eye says something like this people take offense to it?

Cut her some slack, almost nobody means it as an insult when they say things like that. There are certain things I can understand, but this is crossing the line. It's almost a common way of describing things today.

Paddy
20-08-10, 04:07
Political correctness regarding this sort of stuff ****s me, isnt necessary.

aktrekker
20-08-10, 04:16
Sounds like she was calling herself a retard. Why would anyone object to that :p

Paddy
20-08-10, 04:17
^^ I loled :vlol:

TRhalloween
20-08-10, 04:23
I'm not sure who would actually be offended. It's a pretty loose term so if you're offended by her usage of the word then you're calling yourself a retard.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 04:24
Personally, I see absolutely ZERO foul here. The word "retard" has entered our vernacular as a colloquialism for "very stupid." It also has no medical accuracy in describing the condition of those with mental disabilities (or whatever they're called now), as nothing is retarded about the way they grow. Therefore, the slur it used to be used for should be considered archaic, as it's no longer an accurate word for that concept.

_Awestruck_
20-08-10, 04:26
Well, unfortunately, people think differently. Look at the comments on that page, people are ripping her apart for it.

TRhalloween
20-08-10, 04:27
Well, unfortunately, people think differently. Look at the comments on that page, people are ripping her apart for it.

They're retards.

_Awestruck_
20-08-10, 04:28
They're retards.

:vlol:

Paddy
20-08-10, 04:28
People need to chill the **** out, theres far worse things then using the word retard ffs lol
They're retards.
Wahahahaha so true.

KyleCroft
20-08-10, 04:44
And if she made a gay joke, no one would care. Political correctness is completely biased. :rolleyes:

Paddy
20-08-10, 05:03
Political correctness is just ****. Period.

Dream_Raider
20-08-10, 10:01
*rolls eyes* Oh good GOD....and yeah, I agree with TRhalloween, what retards!!!:pi:

scoopy_loopy
20-08-10, 10:05
Christ! Who gives a **** :vlol: First she's accused of advocating 12 year old's having babies and now she's apparently anti-disabled people! Lawdy lawdy! Someone restrain this witch!

herothing
20-08-10, 10:05
These celebrities can't say anything without appearing in the news a day later.

A.JJ.G
20-08-10, 10:21
I agree with this thread so much. Political correctness is necessary at times, to avoid racism and stereotypes, but it has gone too far so many times, that it's a joke in itself. That word is thrown around so many times by my friends, people I know, and even me (sometimes). And it everyone freaks out when a famous person says it? In conclusion: political correctness can be necessary, but people are taking a small thing way too far here. Grow up people.

TippingWater
20-08-10, 10:24
And if she made a gay joke, no one would care. Political correctness is completely biased. :rolleyes:

:tmb:

Mad Tony
20-08-10, 10:49
And if she made a gay joke, no one would care. Political correctness is completely biased. :rolleyes:What? Of course there would. There would be a huge ****storm.

Legend 4ever
20-08-10, 10:52
^ Not as much as there is for retards.

Mad Tony
20-08-10, 11:02
^ Not as much as there is for retards.In my experiences people and the press don't react as much to this kind of thing as they do to things regarding homosexuality. The only thing I can think of which would cause more of a stir is something to do with blacks.

Cochrane
20-08-10, 11:13
I donít normally understand why people are so proud of being politically incorrect. But here? I think the harm from her statement is rather little at most. Seems more like some reporter was bored and decided to invent a scandal, or some organization tries to get known by attacking a famous figure.

A.JJ.G
20-08-10, 11:18
I donít normally understand why people are so proud of being politically incorrect. But here? I think the harm from her statement is rather little at most. Seems more like some reporter was bored and decided to invent a scandal, or some organization tries to get known by attacking a famous figure.

Exactly. It disgusts me, but it's true. That's the media in my opinion:

Reporter: "There was a car crash a few miles away? I'll gte right on i-"

Boss: "Wait! A celebrity said something mildly offensive!"

Reporter: "OMG!!!" ~Runs to the scene and blows things out of proportion~

Legends
20-08-10, 11:20
This should be written on the moon. It's just that important. :p

larson n natla
20-08-10, 11:39
I don't see the problem but perhaps that's just me.

Paddy
20-08-10, 12:04
Theres more important things then being politically correct anyway, not a big deal if people arent that politically correct. People just need to lighten up lol.

Capt. Murphy
20-08-10, 13:20
Back in my early early days of surfing the web :cool: I was registered at the [Adult Swim] forums. There was this one militant atheist Moderator... (ha-ha) in particular. I gave him some trouble in the way of constantly arguing with him back and forth. So, one day I make the statement about something being the 'R' word. The next day I come back I find that I'm under a (I forget, it was smth like) 1200 hour ban. The posted reason was "the insensitive use of the word retarded" YET; there is/was no written rule about using that word. And I've seen words more offensive than that being posted by others.

So, it was my thought that I was banned because that Moderator couldn't handle debating with me, and the "retard" thing was just a convenient excuse. :mis:

Dennis's Mom
20-08-10, 14:35
I fail to see why people can't understand that vernacular has changed the meaning of the word in certain contexts?

Did anyone actually imagine Jennifer Anniston was "special needs" based on that statement? Did anyone think she actually had an extra chromosome? No. Everyone knew exactly what she meant--that she was silly/stupid/immature.

The special needs community are the ones who said "don't use "retarded" for our kids anymore! We think it's degrading. Please use "special needs"."

Sorry, folks, you broke up with "retard" a long time ago, you don't get to determine who "retard" dates today.

larafan25
20-08-10, 15:37
Political correctness regarding this sort of stuff ****s me, isnt necessary.

People who are actually retarded, may object. For good reasons too.:)

aurora89
20-08-10, 15:50
It's a completely offensive word and you all can go to hell if you try to tell ME otherwise. Clearly you don't have disabling brain damage or a sibling with developmental disabilities.

I have both, and the word offends me, so yes, apparently I'm 'hypersensitive'. To me, it's even more offensive than any other word or slur you could use to describe me (and there are MANY awful ones out there).

That's like asking whether black people are so hypersensitive that they really get offended by the N word.

What's wrong with a little common niceness towards others? Geez. :(

Political correctness refers to such nonsense as calling a manhole a 'personal service shaft'. You're using the term (PC) incorrectly if you use it to refer to not offending vulnerable groups. That's called being a decent human being.

ETA: Dennis's mom, people now use the word "retard" both to refer to people who are being stupid and to people with developmental problems. Get on any school bus with a developmentally delayed child and you'll see that the vernacular HASN'T changed.

[Xmas]
20-08-10, 15:56
I know this may be off topic, but...

Jennifer Aniston is looking so damn sexy!! :jmp:

larafan25
20-08-10, 15:56
It's a completely offensive word and you all can go to hell if you try to tell ME otherwise. Clearly you don't have disabling brain damage or a sibling with developmental disabilities.

I have both, and the word offends me, so yes, apparently I'm 'hypersensitive'. To me, it's even more offensive than any other word or slur you could use to describe me (and there are MANY awful ones out there).

That's like asking whether black people are so hypersensitive that they really get offended by the N word.

Political correctness refers to such nonsense as calling a manhole a 'personal service shaft'. You're using the term (PC) incorrectly if you use it to refer to not offending vulnerable groups. That's called being a decent human being.

ETA: Dennis's mom, people now use the word "retard" both to refer to people who are being stupid and to people with developmental problems. Get on any school bus with a developmentally delayed child and you'll see that the vernacular HASN'T changed.

I see what you are feeling however your comparisons seem off.

I would not compare it to the N word.

A better comparison is Gay. The word gay has meant a lot of things, it came to be the term to describe generally male homosexuals. Recently immature people or people with a negative perception of homosexuality have decided to use the word gay to describe something stupid, something silly, something they just do not like, or anything negative.

The same has become with the word retarded.

I do not avoide using these words incorectly to be politically correct, I do it because I care how people feel when they hear such things, it kind of hurts to be honest.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 15:59

I'm not trying to offend you here, but the word "retard" has been inaccurate in describing those of special needs for quite some time now, and its connotation as a derogatory word towards those with special needs is used less and less now. Furthermore, the connotation of the word "retard" has moved away from being an insult to those with special needs, and more towards just meaning "really stupid."

I haven't heard that word being used as a derogatory slur against someone with special needs for quite some time now either.

Also, the word "fanny" is pretty taboo in England (so I'm told), referring to a woman's private parts. However, in the US it refers to the buttocks, and is not offensive. Would you, if you were from England and visiting the US be offended if you heard someone use the word "fanny," even though it doesn't mean what it did in the country you were from?

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:02
I'm not trying to offend you here, but the word "retard" has been inaccurate in describing those of special needs for quite some time now, and its connotation as a derogatory word towards those with special needs is used less and less now. Furthermore, the connotation of the word "retard" has moved away from being an insult to those with special needs, and more towards just meaning "really stupid."

I haven't heard that word being used as a derogatory slur against someone with special needs for quite some time now either.

Also, the word "fanny" is pretty taboo in the UK (so I'm told), referring to a woman's private parts. However, in the US it refers to the buttocks, and is not offensive. Would you, if you were from the UK and visiting the US be offended if you heard someone use the word "fanny," even though it doesn't mean what it did in the country you were from?

Everyday I hear the word retard as an insult. By others, not towards me, generally in general. I actually once used to use that word a lot, but then it became clear that it was rude or could hurt peoples feelings so I stopped using it.

I honeslty do not know everything about words and their definitions, I do not. However If I am going against a dictionary fact to make sure I do not hurt someones feelings, then it's all for a good reason.

I tend to not call people names, just swear in passing, not that this is a swear word.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 16:04
Everyday I hear the word retard as an insult. By others, not towards me, generally in general. I actually once used to use that word a lot, but then it became clear that it was rude or could hurt peoples feelings so I stopped using it.

I honeslty do not know everything about words and their definitions, I do not. However If I am going against a dictionary fact to make sure I do not hurt someones feelings, then it's all for a good reason.

I tend to not call people names, just swear in passing, not that this is a swear word.

Which group of people (if any specifically) is using the word? Teenagers? Adults? Others with special needs? And, is it being targeted towards those with special needs?

Phlip
20-08-10, 16:06
It's an offensive word... it offends people so don't ****ing use it. Especially on TV.

aurora89
20-08-10, 16:09
People STILL use retard to refer to people with cognitive delays or disabilities, so no, it's not 'inaccurate' to the point that no one uses it to refer to people with disabilities. You're lumping "stupid/ridiculous" with "cognitively disabled" when you use the word retard.

To me, the R word is every bit as shocking and upsetting and hurtful as the N word. There is never an okay context for it aside from chemical reactions and the like. It should not be used as an insult, it should not be used in joking, it should not be used to describe something negative. Gay, on the otherhand, is a generally positive term that some very juvenile people occasionally use as a negative (which is also wrong). On top of that, gay people can stand up for themselves. The vast majority of people for whom the word "retard" offends can't properly articulate that you've hurt their feelings.

I think Larafan has the right idea. You KNOW this word hurts a lot of vulnerable people, you have so many alternatives... are you really going to get so defensive about your right to hurt people that you'd rather do that than be a decent human being and try to get along with people?

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with humanity?

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:11
Which group of people (if any specifically) is using the word? Teenagers? Adults? Others with special needs? And, is it being targeted towards those with special needs?

Interesting fact, I heard on the radio in the news that almost like 90% of people will not admit to having some sort of mental slowness or handicapt.

Anywho mostly teenagers, however my sister is 21 and my mom is well, clearly not a teenager, and there is no sparing of the word.

Clearly not being targeted towards people with special needs, but the idea is that you are making fun of someone with special needs or insulting them indirectly. It may not be intended to offend, nobody is pointing fingers and saying people are being rude or bad, however it is rude, and not intentional.

I'm gay, so what is the chance I do something stupid and get called gay? The chance is like 99%. Hearing this as a gay kid made me seriously confused because I thought gay meant something else.

To me it seems like we are allowing people to take words and transform them, this doesn't sound bad however they are being transformed into something negative, which is never good.

takamotosan
20-08-10, 16:12
I think people should chill the hell out. She didn't mean it literally, she meant it as the expression that a LOT of Americans use. Getting chewed out for following her own culture is absurd. Secondly, it's just a word. We know she doesn't hate kids with downs syndrome. And even if she did, she has the freedom to say it if she wants to. It may not be the best idea to preach anti-retardation on television, but whatever. I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore.

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:16
I think people should chill the hell out. She didn't mean it literally, she meant it as the expression that a LOT of Americans use. Getting chewed out for following her own culture is absurd. Secondly, it's just a word. We know she doesn't hate kids with downs syndrome. And even if she did, she has the freedom to say it if she wants to. It may not be the best idea to preach anti-retardation on television, but whatever. I don't even know where I'm going with this anymore.

What is so wrong or hard about finding another word to use, a word that actually makes sense.

How many people with special needs are caught dressing up? Probably a lot less than the amount of people on this forum caught dressing up as Lara Croft.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 16:18
People STILL use retard to refer to people with cognitive delays or disabilities, so no, it's not 'inaccurate' to the point that no one uses it.

To me, the R word is every bit as shocking and upsetting and hurtful as the N word. There is never an okay context for it aside from chemical reactions and the like. It should not be used as an insult, it should not be used in joking, it should not be used to describe something negative. Gay, on the otherhand, is a generally positive term that some very juvenile people occasionally use as a negative (which is also wrong). On top of that, gay people can stand up for themselves. The vast majority of people for whom the word "retard" offends can't properly articulate that you've hurt their feelings.

I think Larafan has the right idea. You KNOW this word hurts a lot of vulnerable people, you have so many alternatives... are you really going to get so defensive about your right to hurt people that you'd rather do that than be a decent human being and try to get along with people?

Seriously, what the hell is wrong with humanity?

If it's the word that connotationally best fits the idea I'm trying to express, I'll use it. There are some words that carry dual meanings, one being dirty, and one being clean. I'm not going to name them, but they're very prevalent in the English language, and we can tell the difference based on context. The same should be done here.

Furthermore, the word "retard" IS medically inaccurate in describing those with special needs, so it is then, archaic for that denotation. You also haven't answered my question about the word "fanny."

Interesting fact, I heard on the radio in the news that almost like 90% of people will not admit to having some sort of mental slowness or handicapt.

Anywho mostly teenagers, however my sister is 21 and my mom is well, clearly not a teenager, and there is no sparing of the word.

Clearly not being targeted towards people with special needs, but the idea is that you are making fun of someone with special needs or insulting them indirectly. It may not be intended to offend, nobody is pointing fingers and saying people are being rude or bad, however it is rude, and not intentional.

I'm gay, so what is the chance I do something stupid and get called gay? The chance is like 99%. Hearing this as a gay kid made me seriously confused because I thought gay meant something else.

To me it seems like we are allowing people to take words and transform them, this doesn't sound bad however they are being transformed into something negative, which is never good.

To me, the word "gay" shouldn't be used to mean stupid. It may sound like I'm two-faced, here, or possibly a hypocrite, but the word "gay" still has an accurate denotation in describing homosexuals. Therefore, that word is directly and accurately linked to homosexuals, and shouldn't be used to describe something as stupid.

TRhalloween
20-08-10, 16:19

Tbh, If someone was to use the word "retard" in a conversation around me I wouldn't be offended. However, if someone were to say "Don't use that word around Gordon, he has aspergers" I would be offended. In return, the person who was trying to defend me would actually be the one calling me a retard.

I dunno if I'm making much sense bu that's just how I feel.

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:22
If it's the word that connotationally best fits the idea I'm trying to express, I'll use it. There are some words that carry dual meanings, one being dirty, and one being clean. I'm not going to name them, but they're very prevalent in the English language, and we can tell the difference based on context. The same should be done here.

Furthermore, the word "retard" IS medically inaccurate in describing those with special needs, so it is then, archaic for that denotation. You also haven't answered my question about the word "fanny."

To me, the word "gay" shouldn't be used to mean stupid. It may sound like I'm two-faced, here, or possibly a hypocrite, but the word "gay" still has an accurate denotation in describing homosexuals. Therefore, that word is directly and accurately linked to homosexuals, and shouldn't be used to describe something as stupid.

Oh I see what you are saying.

The word Retard no longer means someone with special needs. So then what does it mean? Or is it just a word....meaning nothing?:p

aurora89
20-08-10, 16:23
In this case, *I* am the 'retard'. And it's offending me, so I'd like people to stop using it. Is that really so hard to understand?

And no, the word "retard" Is NEVER medically accurate, sorry. Mental retardation/retarded is a word from the 70's which very few if any professionals use any more-- BECAUSE THE ****ING EXPERTS ACKNOWLEDGED IT WAS A HURTFUL, DEGRADING TERM. They only use it in cases of antiquated insurance companies and the like.

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:25
I thought the word retard meant slow, there is a part on a motorcycle or something that is named the retard _____.....refering to the part that moves slowly or something..:/

TRhalloween
20-08-10, 16:26
In this case, *I* am the 'retard'. And it's offending me, so I'd like people to stop using it. Is that really so hard to understand?

And no, the word "retard" Is NEVER medically accurate, sorry. Mental retardation/retarded is a word from the 70's which very few if any professionals use any more-- BECAUSE THE ****ING EXPERTS ACKNOWLEDGED IT WAS A HURTFUL, DEGRADING TERM. They only use it in cases of antiquated insurance companies and the like.

So if the word doesn't refer to disabled people any more, what's the problem?

I'm not saying that I go about calling people retards since it's still pretty mean, but people need to look at the irony in their words.

aurora89
20-08-10, 16:30
So if the word doesn't refer to disabled people any more, what's the problem?

I'm not saying that I go about calling people retards since it's still pretty mean, but people need to look at the irony in their words.

Medical professionals not using it does not mean that NO ONE uses it. As I said previously, many people still think that a developmentally disabled person should be referred to as a "retard" or as "retarded".

It's not the medical professionals calling stupid things "retarded", and as best as I can tell they're the only ones who fully realise that the word doesn't apply to disabled people anymore.

So your logic is incorrect. Most people know full well that when they say "they're acting like a retard" they mean "they're acting stupid, like a disabled person."

TRhalloween
20-08-10, 16:34
Medical professionals not using it does not mean that NO ONE uses it. As I said previously, many people still think that a developmentally disabled person should be referred to as a "retard" or as "retarded".

It's not the medical professionals calling stupid things "retarded", and as best as I can tell they're the only ones who fully realise that the word doesn't apply to disabled people anymore.

So your logic is incorrect. Most people know full well that when they say "they're acting like a retard" they mean "they're acting stupid, like a disabled person."

Actually, I know people who have full respect for people with disabilities but would use the word to mean "stupid". The words "lame" and "moron" once referred to disabled people too.

Mad Tony
20-08-10, 16:34
Being offended by the use of this word is quite frankly, ridiculous. Everyone should know by now that it's just become another word in our language for "stupid".

Ward Dragon
20-08-10, 16:35
I thought the word retard meant slow, there is a part on a motorcycle or something that is named the retard _____.....refering to the part that moves slowly or something..:/

It does. I'm familiar with using it to mean slowing the development of something (like saying that lack of nutrients will retard a plant's growth). That's what the term means to me because of how it's been used in my science classes. However I guess that concept was applied to mentally disabled people, in effect saying that they have slow development of mental skills, and that's why it became an insult. I try not to use that term to describe people (especially if they've expressed that the term offends them). I guess I'm kind of weird because very little offends me unless it was meant as a direct insult, but I try not to say things that I know will offend other people out of respect for them :)

ryan91
20-08-10, 16:36
r-tard is way cooler :D.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 16:37

I do find a problem with this (not you, but the action you're describing). First, because it's offensive, and second, because the word is now being used incorrectly. I'm all for joining you in getting you to get people to stop calling those with special needs "retarded" or a "retard."

However, I will fight tooth and nail to be able to use "retard" as the colloquialism that my generation has evolved it into, as it's not being used in a derogatory manner towards those who have special needs.

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:39
Being offended by the use of this word is quite frankly, ridiculous. Everyone should know by now that it's just become another word in our language for "stupid".

Seems like a lame excuse.

It does. I'm familiar with using it to mean slowing the development of something (like saying that lack of nutrients will retard a plant's growth). That's what the term means to me because of how it's been used in my science classes. However I guess that concept was applied to mentally disabled people, in effect saying that they have slow development of mental skills, and that's why it became an insult. I try not to use that term to describe people (especially if they've expressed that the term offends them). I guess I'm kind of weird because very little offends me unless it was meant as a direct insult, but I try not to say things that I know will offend other people out of respect for them :)

In my dictionary which may be old, the word means a slowness or limitation in the physical or mental development of someone or thing.

It's something like that...

Mad Tony
20-08-10, 16:45
Seems like a lame excuse.A lame excuse for what?

freeze10108
20-08-10, 16:47
In my dictionary which may be old, the word means a slowness or limitation in the physical or mental development of someone or thing.

It's something like that...

Yes, that's one correct definition. Dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retard) covers the others. ;)

larafan25
20-08-10, 16:50
A lame excuse for what?

A lame excuse to use the word.

We can stop using a word, or we can stop people from being offended.

It may seem redculous or like a contradiction to stop using a word that is offending people hwne it no longer has the same meaning, but if it hurts peoples feelings why not stop using it?

freeze10108
20-08-10, 16:55
Interestingly, the same thing happened with the words "idiot" and "imbecile." I hear them used frequently to describe something as stupid, but I have never heard someone be offended because it's derogatory towards those with special needs.

Mad Tony
20-08-10, 16:58
A lame excuse to use the word.

We can stop using a word, or we can stop people from being offended.

It may seem redculous or like a contradiction to stop using a word that is offending people hwne it no longer has the same meaning, but if it hurts peoples feelings why not stop using it?Because most words will probably offend at least one person. By the way I should point out at this point the that word lame could also be considered "offensive".

Catracoth
20-08-10, 16:58

I assume that because you feel this way about the use of the word, you also feel the same for the use of the word 'gay' meaning stupid and the N word being a nickname?

Super Badnik
20-08-10, 17:02
Well there probably wasn't anything offensive in it but the word "retard" is a very insulting way to describe disability. I mean its kinda like calling someone the "N word" for not nessacirly being black. There may have not been any offence but its still very much a no no.

Catracoth
20-08-10, 17:03
Well there probably wasn't anything offensive in it but the word "retard" is a very insulting way to describe disability. I mean its kinda like calling someone the "N word" for not nessacirly being black. There may have not been any offence but its still very much a no no.

Indeed. But, I think what Mad Tony is getting at, is that something will always offend someone else. If everyone were to avoid walking on eggshells, the common vernacular would be proper butchered.

larafan25
20-08-10, 17:05
Then what do we do?

If I continue to use words that are going to offend someone, and that someone is always going to be offended, do I just apologize everytime, do they just get over it quickly. Is this something that will forever be the same? D:

Catracoth
20-08-10, 17:07
You live.
Someone will always be offended by something.
You can't go through life constantly making sure a word you utter won't offend someone.

People need to learn to just ignore things.

EscondeR
20-08-10, 17:08
Generally the more attention (negative) you pay for the word, the more offensive it sounds and more often it will be used to offend you/your neighbour... Human psychology is a female dog :p... but you won't change it in a minute.

Catracoth
20-08-10, 17:13
^ Well said. :tmb:

larafan25
20-08-10, 17:17
I call my sister a ***** a lot, when we get in fights, do you think this offended my female dog? D:

aurora89
20-08-10, 17:21
well, if your ability to use words that are incredibly insulting to a large population of people is more important to you than having friends and being a decent person, go for it. It's your life and if you want to be an asshole, the word 'retard' is probably going to be one of the less offensive things you do in your life.

I should probably be offended by the word "lame" considering I'm significantly mobility impaired, but we've come far enough from it that it doesn't refer to handicapped people at all anymore, afaik. That's why practically no one complains about the word. Dumb is similarly no longer used to refer to people who are mute.

However, we are not yet past the point where you can use 'retard' and not offend people, the way you can with idiot or lame. Give it another 10-20 years minimum before you try to make that argument. And we have to stop people from using it to refer to disabled people in the meantime. We're working on it, but we're not there yet.

Catracoth
20-08-10, 17:33
It's one thing to intentionally use offensive words like 'faggot' (in the American vernacular) and 'Jew-bag' and things of that nature. (Pardon me for using them.) But it's another story if you use a word that is known to have a completely different meaning in the vernacular, such as dumb or lame being stupid. I haven't heard either being used to describe a disability in over 20 years. Nowadays, people just say that the person has special needs.

I think, however, that only applies to certain words. For instance, dumb and lame aren't considered offensive because they've been synonyms for 'stupid' for a long period of time. However, should someone use the word 'gay' for stupid, it's considered offensive. Give it another 20 years and it'll be another commonly used synonym for stupid, I'm sure.

Now, with the N word, this will always be considered offensive, and that's a fact.

Alpharaider47
20-08-10, 17:45
It's one thing to intentionally use offensive words like 'faggot' (in the American vernacular) and 'Jew-bag' and things of that nature. (Pardon me for using them.) But it's another story if you use a word that is known to have a completely different meaning in the vernacular, such as dumb or lame being stupid. I haven't heard either being used to describe a disability in over 20 years. Nowadays, people just say that the person has special needs.

I think, however, that only applies to certain words. For instance, dumb and lame aren't considered offensive because they've been synonyms for 'stupid' for a long period of time. However, should someone use the word 'gay' for stupid, it's considered offensive. Give it another 20 years and it'll be another commonly used synonym for stupid, I'm sure.

Now, with the N word, this will always be considered offensive, and that's a fact.

I'm not even sure it will take that long at least not in the US, considering you can get away with using gay as a synonym for stupid in California, and hardly offend anyone at all.

Catracoth
20-08-10, 17:48
I'm not even sure it will take that long at least not in the US, considering you can get away with using gay as a synonym for stupid in California, and hardly offend anyone at all.

It's not so much California's people, but people who don't take ignorance to heart. :p
I don't get offended - I get annoyed, especially when people over do it.

Fair warning, the last person who called me the N word got a broken nose.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 17:52
Honestly, we have many words in the English language that mean different things colloquially, and are used commonly for other things in non-vernacular conversations. "To do," "to come," and "bang.". These words all have very acceptable uses in everyday conversation, but they also can be used in situations where one might find them offensive. Should we not use these words for fear of offending someone, even if we're using them "cleanly"?

Catracoth
20-08-10, 18:01
In my opinion, it's damn foolish to have to walk on eggshells with everyone for fear of offending them. Say what you have to say and should it be significantly offensive, just apologise and move along before you make the place look crowded. :)

Alpharaider47
20-08-10, 18:02
It's not so much California's people, but people who don't take ignorance to heart. :p
I don't get offended - I get annoyed, especially when people over do it.

Fair warning, the last person who called me the N word got a broken nose.

I think you understand what I was getting at though. That's understandable.

Haha that's a fair warning. The N word isn't a part of my vocabulary, there's no reason for it anymore. I can understand 100 years ago or so, but not now. Strikes me as a word that hearkens back to a... idk less civilised? time.

Lara's Nemesis
20-08-10, 18:03
Lack of brains shown by Aniston using that word on TV. I have used it before but I am aware that it can be offensive to people.

Dennis's Mom
20-08-10, 18:10

That's a completely separate context however. In that context, the word has a different meaning, and yes, I agree it's a horrid thing to say.

The point is that no one connected special needs people with Anniston's comment. In that context, people understood she used to word to mean "not normal," i.e., playing dress up is not a normal occupation for an adult. The context was different so the word acquired a different meaning to the listeners.

Context does change the meaning of words. Time changes the meaning of words. My MIL is from Wisconsin, and she hates the term "cheesehead." When she was growing up, it was a completely derogatory term for someone from Wisconsin. Now, however, it's an endearment and a booming industry for foam hats.

I find the term "dopplehoe" incredibly offensive, but I lost the war because everyone here thought it was "cute", despite being completely degrading to women. Heck, we have a member here with a "hoe" in their name. I find nothing cute or clever about it, but I know they meant it to be cute or clever, so I absolve them of maliciously trying to insult my gender.

larafan25
20-08-10, 19:03
That's a completely separate context however. In that context, the word has a different meaning, and yes, I agree it's a horrid thing to say.

The point is that no one connected special needs people with Anniston's comment. In that context, people understood she used to word to mean "not normal," i.e., playing dress up is not a normal occupation for an adult. The context was different so the word acquired a different meaning to the listeners.

Context does change the meaning of words. Time changes the meaning of words. My MIL is from Wisconsin, and she hates the term "cheesehead." When she was growing up, it was a completely derogatory term for someone from Wisconsin. Now, however, it's an endearment and a booming industry for foam hats.

I find the term "dopplehoe" incredibly offensive, but I lost the war because everyone here thought it was "cute", despite being completely degrading to women. Heck, we have a member here with a "hoe" in their name. I find nothing cute or clever about it, but I know they meant it to be cute or clever, so I absolve them of maliciously trying to insult my gender.

How is hoe specific to women?

There is no such thing as a "man whore" You are or are not a whore regardless of your gender. In a few years I may be considered a whore.

Avalon SARL
20-08-10, 19:49
This was like :vlol:

Catracoth
20-08-10, 20:01

Quoted for truth.

It just is - by general consensus.

There is no such thing as a "man whore" You are or are not a whore regardless of your gender. In a few years I may be considered a whore.

Sure there is. It's used all the time.

freeze10108
20-08-10, 21:00

I know Catracoth has already responded to you, but Dictionary.com defines the word "ho" ("hoe" is a gardening tool) like so:

— n
Black slang ( US ) a derogatory term for a woman

and the word "whore" (as a noun) like this:

–noun
a woman who engages in promiscuous sexual intercourse, usually for money; prostitute; harlot; strumpet.

So yes, "ho" and "whore" refer to women, therefore "man-whore" must also exist in order for us to be able to accurately relate the idea of a "whore" to a man.

Cochrane
20-08-10, 22:54

Interesting. As a foreigner who only ever went on vacation to english-speaking countries, not longer, it took me actually some years to realize that the word "retard" had ever had any meaning other than an insult.

Uzi master
20-08-10, 23:03
I remember one a special needs teacher talked to everyine on how she just "hates" when she hears people say retard or retarded, I swear if another person has to make a lecture out of something like that....

well, I dunno explain to her that people arn't insulting mentally defeceint people:p

robm_2007
20-08-10, 23:13
i may seem like a *******, but i find myself saying all of these words, except maybe the N-word.

some of them i dont understand. Midget for example: ppl like to be called "Little People". i actually always thought that that was the actual term; when and how did it become offensive?

Another is Handicapped, ppl like to be called "Disabled", if was in that situation, I'd rather be called handicapped than disabled, but i dont know.

I also always say Gay; but i dont use it to offend gay people. :/

Fatass has had a boom in the slang world. It doesnt mean that you are calling that person overweight, but they are a Fatass for eating something fattening. Maybe thats the only "Politically-Incorrect" term that ppl can get away with? Cuz if i call my friend a fatass cuz she ate a bunch of junk food today, i would never expect a person who is overweight to say: "That's Offensive, I happen to be overweight!"

i dont think that Jennifer Aniston was wrong for referring to herself as retarded, TBH.

aktrekker
20-08-10, 23:26
Let's examine the word retard and how it came to be derogatory.

When you spray something in your shower to stop mold from growing, it is a retardant. It "retards" the growth of mold. This doesn't mean it stops it, it only slows it down.
And that is the original meaning of retard. The term is used frequently in science to mean exactly that. Have you ever heard the expression "fire retardant"?
Its use in relation to "developmentally challenged" people probably started in the medical community. It would be normal and acceptable to refer to them as mentally retarded, meaning their mental development was retarded, or slowed down, relative to the general population. When common people started to use the term, that is what it meant, and it wasn't meant to be derogatory.

Its original use as an insult would have been school kids. Developmentally challenged kids didn't used to have a special school or class. They were placed in with all the other kids. You know how cruel kids can be. They would have used the term they heard their parents use - retarded. Only the kids would have meant it as an insult. They were mocking them, making fun of them because they were "dumb" - their mental development was slower. As the kids grew up, they retained their new meaning for the term, as an insult.

So the term originally was a scientific/medical description of a condition. But it came to be an insult only because people who used it intended it to be an insult. It speaks more to the mentality of those who insult than of those it describes.

Paddy
20-08-10, 23:56
I agree with TRHalloween too, Id be more offended if someone said not to say that **** around me because I also have aspergers. At the same time I do get that people get offended over it and Ill respect that and refrain from saying it around them, not that I say it all that often anyway.

t-raider26
21-08-10, 00:51
I dont really see how people get offended when words like retard, or the f word, or even the n word are used. I mean as long as the person isnt using the word to insult someone...

Paddy
21-08-10, 00:54
As ^^ said it really depends on the context it is used in imo and on who you say that **** to.

Catracoth
21-08-10, 01:00
I don't even understand swear words.
Like, who the fragknots decided this word and that word were swears?
Who do they think they are?

Paddy
21-08-10, 01:01
Swear words are good for me personally to get my anger out of the system, especially if its at a game LOL
Saying Fudge or some **** like that just doesnt cut it.

Uzi master
21-08-10, 01:05
cause you need to know it's bad to say it to get anger out:p

speaking of which, black people call eachother's the n word all the time, and people "offended by it usually are whit people, (not always though mostly) hmmm...

aktrekker
21-08-10, 01:07
^If a white person calls a black person the n word, you'll quickly find out who gets offended. The white person will be carried home.

Paddy
21-08-10, 01:08

If theres noone else around, theres noone who can get offended, so I can feel free to curse when I want.

Melonie Tomb Raider
21-08-10, 01:12
I've been guilty of using that term, but it's really not right when you think about it. There are a lot of mentally ill people out there, and it would be a terrible thing to offend them. :(

Agent 47
21-08-10, 01:12

speaking of which, black people call eachother's the n word all the time, and people "offended by it usually are whit people, (not always though mostly) hmmm...

That's true, i'm white and hate the word. I also have a very low tolerance for the term "Jap(s)" regardless of how it's used :mad:

Each to his own i guess

Uzi master
21-08-10, 01:15
let me ask this though: is saying a dark skinned person is black any different than saying they are a n word? there both labels, what if white people were called something else like, snooba's?

(okay, not that, but something:p)

aktrekker
21-08-10, 01:51
You mean like crackers or white bread?

Whatever, doesn't hurt me.

I think the stigma over the n word is just a carry over from slavery days. The word was used in a derogatory manner toward slaves. It isn't any more. I do think people are living in the past and that makes them overly sensitive.

Tommy123
21-08-10, 04:24
Swear words are good for me personally to get my anger out of the system, especially if its at a game LOL
Saying Fudge or some **** like that just doesnt cut it.

exactly!

Yelling the word Fudge just makes me hungry

tranniversary119
21-08-10, 04:27
It probably slipped. It's not that big of a deal.

Dustie
21-08-10, 07:59
It probably slipped. It's not that big of a deal.

Ditto.

And gosh, how much time can we spend on such trivial things...

Tombraiderx08
21-08-10, 08:07
As of now, I dont really care, but if I had like someone that was for real retarded that meant anything to me, I might spazz. And even then it's not like she meant offense.

igonge
21-08-10, 08:23
She called herself a retard. So what. She obviously didn't mean any harm by it, she probably didn't even think about it before it slipped.

Ikas90
21-08-10, 08:57
I think people who go over the top about the use of a word need to get over themselves, tbh.

I hate it when people's freedom of speech are limited just because they are famous. What if I said the word "retard" in public? No one is going to put me on the news, are they?

SkyPuppy
21-08-10, 09:40
god, this is so retarded

aktrekker
21-08-10, 09:50
Apparently someone gets it :vlol:

Lara_Fan_33
22-08-10, 07:57
i cant even believe people these days....

Paddy
22-08-10, 08:10
I think people who go over the top about the use of a word need to get over themselves, tbh.

I hate it when people's freedom of speech are limited just because they are famous. What if I said the word "retard" in public? No one is going to put me on the news, are they?
I concur.

QiX
22-08-10, 08:17
I know it's just a word and people use it everytime and bla-bla. But considering it's used to refer to mentally impaired persons, don't any of you consider it gross and rude? There's a woman in my neighborhood who has a daughter severely mentally impaired. She also often yells to her grandson which is a 3 year old toddler calling him a retarded etc. Not my intention to be politically correct, but everytime she does it I feel the wish to sink her head in a toilet and flush.

remote91
22-08-10, 08:23
I'm not offended by the word at all but for some reason I was a little surprised when she said it.