PDA

View Full Version : RIP Jack Horkheimer

voltz
23-08-10, 16:57
Passed away on August 20, at the age of 72

Jack Horkheimer was the host of an astronomy program called Star Gazer, which appeared late at night on a daily basis for well over 30+ years. I used to love it when this show came on and he's telling everyone about the current events that are happening such as how close Jupiter is to being seen by regular telescopes, Hally's Comet, or what constellations appear during certain seasons. I certainly hope that when a new star gets discovered that someone will name it after him. He's earned it.

"Keep looking up!"

larson n natla
23-08-10, 17:02
I hope he went peacefully :hug:

ajrich17901
23-08-10, 17:04
Honestly no idea who he is, but I hope he rests in peace :)

knightgames
23-08-10, 17:09
I used to watch him regularly back in the 80s and 90s. I too went out nightly to watch the movements of the solar system that he talked about the previous episode.

He had an enthusiasm and way of teaching that made me wish there were more real teachers like him when I was in school.

RIP, Jack. I'll keep looking up.

voltz
23-08-10, 17:11

Wiki is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Horkheimer

Youtube link has his last video which was brief, but I managed to catch it last week. He used to have longer clips years back before he was crippled in a car accident.

voltz
04-10-10, 05:01
Well I guess the program is continuing, but they had someone else (who really lacks a personality) in Jack's place. I feel like I'm gonna throw up.

Mikky
04-10-10, 05:10

Stole the words right out of my mouth. ;)

voltz
04-10-10, 05:16
Stole the words right out of my mouth. ;)

A little late on that one, but we understand. :)

atm I was busy commenting about the change noted in my previous post.

star-dust
04-10-10, 06:23
May he rest in peace.

Spong
04-10-10, 12:34
I don't know who he is, but reading your post voltz and checking on Wiki pretty much confirmed that he's the US equivalent of Sir Patrick Moore here in the UK (who's presented a show called The Sky at Night since 1957).

It's always a shame when such a stalwart of broadcasting passes away :(

ShadyCroft
04-10-10, 17:03
I don't know him really, but may he rest in peace. :(