PDA

View Full Version : Grim Fandango

ultima espio
24-08-10, 01:07
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k61/ultima_espio/Grim_Fandango_artwork.jpg

Grim Fandango is a personal computer game in the graphic adventure genre released by LucasArts in 1998 and primarily written by Tim Schafer. It is the first adventure game by LucasArts to use 3D computer graphics overlaid on pre-rendered, static backgrounds. As with other LucasArts adventure games, the player must converse with other characters and examine, collect, and use objects correctly to solve puzzles in order to progress.

Grim Fandango's world combines elements of the Aztec belief of afterlife with style aspects of film noir, including The Maltese Falcon, On the Waterfront and Casablanca, to create the Land of the Dead, through which recently departed souls, represented in the game as calaca-like figures, must travel before they reach their final destination, the Ninth Underworld. The story follows travel agent Manuel "Manny" Calavera as he attempts to save Mercedes "Meche" Colomar, a newly arrived but virtuous soul, during her long journey.

Has anyone else played this game? It was made by the same man that made Brutal Legend :p

I used to love playing this game, its quite hard sometimes though :p Its all about puzzles.

There is a free demo though, not sure how well it works now:

http://www.grimfandango.net/?page=demo

trlestew
24-08-10, 01:09
You mention Brutal Legend but not Psychonaughts (Spelling :l) O_o :p

I heard of it, but never played it.

moodydog
24-08-10, 01:12
I love that game :D

its really fun (and funny)

Jo269976
24-08-10, 01:30
The best game ever made.

Ever.

Encore
24-08-10, 01:37
This game is insane and brilliant, and so fun. :D However, I was constantly getting stuck with them puzzles so I never finished it. I was pretty young back then though. :p If I could I'd give it another shot but I don't have it any more.

ultima espio
24-08-10, 01:42
I always used to get stuck in Rubacava, I always made Police Chief Bogen leave the club before I finished everything else. So when I needed to get the club closed down, I couldn't do it :vlol: :vlol:

Jo269976
24-08-10, 02:37
I actually can't count the amount of times I've finished the game. I managed to beat it when I was very young. :p

Bongo Fury
24-08-10, 03:48
never heard of it before

Nemo_91
24-08-10, 09:19
One of the greatest adventure games of all-time.

Or just games, in general.

ultima espio
24-08-10, 11:16
I HAVE TO TELL YOU ABOUT MY NEW ORGANISATIONAL SYSTEM FOR THE COATS!

cdM9oJRIGZ0

On my Computer now, she says that so fast :vlol:

moodydog
24-08-10, 11:28
never heard of it before

:vlol:

Alive_and_Funky
24-08-10, 13:40
I love Grim Fandango! However, I got stuck on a bit during the second year and have never gotten round to finishing it. :(

Phys
24-08-10, 14:41
EPIC game! (Thanks for the link Ultima espio :p)

I remember playing this when I was alot younger. It took me ages to find a way how to progress out of the first building where he works. I remember having to go outside to the Day of the Dead parade outside, and climb up cloth to the window on the upper story :D

ultima espio
24-08-10, 15:35
Has anyone tried typing "Blam" while playing the game? Its soo cool :vlol:

KRX7i8CPthg

Encore
24-08-10, 16:18
^ LOL! :vlol:

I actually can't count the amount of times I've finished the game. I managed to beat it when I was very young. :p

Rub it in will ya :p

Weemanply109
24-08-10, 18:40
lol looks funny, never heard of it before! :p

Ward Dragon
24-08-10, 22:58
I love Psychonauts so I'm sure I'd love this game too, but Steam doesn't have it so I'll have to wait for it to show up sooner or later XD

trlestew
24-08-10, 22:59
^

Yep, I only use Steam for these old classic games for convience :tmb:

That, and my PC can't handle current-gen titles :o

ultima espio
25-08-10, 10:46
I love Psychonauts so I'm sure I'd love this game too, but Steam doesn't have it so I'll have to wait for it to show up sooner or later XD

Steam won't get it, you'd have to buy it:o

I'll add it to the first post:)

trlestew
25-08-10, 14:44
They should :whi:

They even released the Oddworld games on there with perfect compatibility on all versions of Windows :p
Oh yeah, that demo is glitched as anything on Vista. :(

ultima espio
25-08-10, 15:10
:o

The full game has a patch, and since I don't have Vista, I cant help:o

But this is the cheapest one I could find if you live in the UK:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Grim-Fandango-PC-/250684208469?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3

trlestew
25-08-10, 15:10
I live in the US :o

And I guess I can try Windows 95 compatibility.

ultima espio
25-08-10, 15:12
Yeah, try that. Might work better for you, since its a Win 98 game:p

trlestew
25-08-10, 15:20
It's playable, but still alot of graphical glitches.

ultima espio
25-08-10, 15:27
http://www.grim-fandango.com/compatibility.php

Try what it says at the bottom of the page. I'm not sure what options the demo has, it might work.

Ward Dragon
25-08-10, 16:22
Steam won't get it, you'd have to buy it:o

I'll add it to the first post:)

I'd still have to buy it even if it was on Steam :o I just figured Steam was a more likely option than finding a physical copy of such an old game in a retail store, and they have a lot of other older games for sale that I never thought I'd be able to buy again, so I'm still kind of hoping they'll get Grim Fandango eventually (and also Planescape: Torment because I keep hearing such wonderful things about that game as well but there's no way I'd find it in a retail store nowadays).

I'll have to try out that demo, so thanks for the link :D

trlestew
25-08-10, 16:28
It works, but be warned that all splash screens/FMV are currupt on Win7/Vista/XP :\

ultima espio
25-08-10, 17:29
The odds of you finding it in a store now is really slim. I remember back when it first came out, I wanted it but never got it. Then when I actually started looking for it in like 2000, I didn't find it until 2002. Even then it was the only one in the store.

I remember guarding it until my parents came with my money :vlol::vlol:

But yeah, if you really want the full game, try an online store. Or...you know...;)

Not that I approve of that....

Alive_and_Funky
27-08-10, 09:50
I'd still have to buy it even if it was on Steam :o I just figured Steam was a more likely option than finding a physical copy of such an old game in a retail store
I actually came across it a little under two years ago. I think they re-released it in 2006 or something. However, you might still struggle to find it regardless.

Ward Dragon
27-08-10, 13:58
I actually came across it a little under two years ago. I think they re-released it in 2006 or something. However, you might still struggle to find it regardless.

Hmm, interesting. I might have to check a few larger retail stores that have PC sections then. I usually don't buy software from those stores because the prices are completely out of line, but if they actually have it and I can't find it anywhere else, what the hell why not? :p

tizerist
27-08-10, 18:00
When I first got my PC, it was strictly for computing and music.
I vowed never to step inside the complicated world of patches, mods, installation problems, incompatibilites, and general PC gaming headaches.
Keep a console, and keep it simple was my motto.
THEN... one day I found out about grim fandango. My then computer (about as powerful as an amstrad) could apparently run it, judging by the specs.
It seemed simple enough, and I would have surely bought this game if it was on PS2, so I took the plunge and parted with 1.50 on ebay for it.
I never should have done that, cause this gave me a taste of PC gaming and the customisation that came with it. Fast forward 10 years and I have deserted the limited console scene and have gone PC only. My various upgrades eventually gave me a computer that rated 5.9 out of 5.9 on the Vista index in 2006 (5.3 nowadays) and I have never looked back.
I still keep my PS2 and PS1 for certain games though.
And all because of grim fandango.

ultima espio
31-08-10, 16:01
Ok, you guys that are having a hard time finding Grim Fandango *Might* be in luck.

There's a rumour around that they are going to remake it, for the Ipad, Iphone and Ipod Touch. Hopefully there will be a PC version too.

trlestew
31-08-10, 16:32
I could honestly care less about that iphone ipad crap >_<

But a PC remake would be nice :jmp:

Jo269976
31-08-10, 16:34
I would kill for a sequel or a remake. :cln:

TippingWater
31-08-10, 17:27
I would kill for a sequel or a remake. :cln:

So would I , even thought I never finished the original :o .

ultima espio
15-09-10, 10:28
So...anyone else managed to get the game yet/get it working?:p

trlestew
15-09-10, 10:38
...No :o

In all honesty, I forgot all about it. I can't find it cheap online so I probably won't be getting it any time soon.

ultima espio
10-06-14, 18:28
Super bump, during E3 a remake/HD version of the game has been announced, for PS4 and Vita. It will be a timed exclusive, other platforms are to be "talked about later".

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-10-after-over-15-years-grim-fandango-finally-comes-to-consoles

So this is good news for those of you who never got to play it before, and it's really good since it's hard to install on modern computers :):jmp:

rewak
10-06-14, 18:43
We'll see what they do with it, but it is very nice to know they're in a position with the rights to do that!

trlestew
10-06-14, 18:51
I could honestly care less about that iphone ipad crap >_<

But a PC remake would be nice :jmp:

Quoting myself from four years ago, hilarious.
The PC remake has finally arrived. ( That is one good thing about E3 that I forgot to mention).

jackraider
10-06-14, 19:30
Wow, finally played this game on my PC. Had to use the mouse patch because controls were really bad. Great story and characters...I think this game surpasses The Longest Journey in ways.

However, the puzzles were VERY HARD, but I think maybe using the mouse patch (point N click style) messed things up. I had to use a walk-through.

Samsdad
10-06-14, 19:34
One of the great point and click games from the early days. It is good to see that it is being revived.

jackraider
10-06-14, 19:48
One of the great point and click games from the early days. It is good to see that it is being revived.

It wasn't a point n click game though...it was an adventure game where you use the cursor keys to control character...very clunky. But yeah, really great storyline. Awesome characters and funny dialog.

ultima espio
10-06-14, 21:38
Yeah I'm hoping the controls will be refined. There's no info on the game yet, so It's not clear if it's a full remake or just a hd remaster.

ultima espio
10-07-14, 18:49
PC, Mac and Linux versions confirmed:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/news/a583228/grim-fandango-remake-also-coming-to-pc-mac-and-linux.html#~oJDVo3JdpnRTQ3

"We're pleased to announce Grim Fandango will also be available on PC, Mac, and Linux alongside PlayStation 4 and Vita!"

The remake is set to launch simultaneously across all platforms, though a release date has yet to be revealed.

rewak
10-07-14, 18:59
Still waiting to see what they're actually going to do with it, it's one of those games that's pretty perfect as it is for a lot of reasons, tweaking it could just ruin it completely.

ultima espio
10-07-14, 19:28
I wonder as well, they haven't said anything or shown anything. We don't know if it's the original with a fresh lick of paint, or a full on remake.