PDA

View Full Version : I need some advise/help

DarknessAngel
13-12-04, 18:26
Hi everyone, I seriously need some advise on what to do about a situation that im in. Ok...this is kinda hard to explain but ill do my best....I used to use Msn messenger quite often to chat with my friends, i havent been using it as much however cuz people can be really immature and they ruin the fun of chatting.....some person has made an email address almost identical to mine...they misspelled it by one letter...they put an L in the middle of it. They also made their name and screen name the same as mine.....Therefore, everyone thinks that it is me cuz they dont notice the misspelled address sinse it is a minor error....this person has been ruining my life......they get online and pose as me and everyone thinks that it is me.....they get online and cuss out random people from my school....the people then begin hating me because they think it was me saying stuff to them.....and even worse than that....this person gets online and asks people out and the people think its me.....they have made me date 2 different guys so far. The one guy was smart and listened to me and belived me when i said it wasnt me.....however the other guy didnt....he actually thought that me and him were dating even though I didnt even know who he was......everyone in the school was talking about it and eventually word of it got to my REAL boyfriend....I wasnt even aware of what was going on until my boyfriend came up to me at my locker and started yelling at me and flipping out about me cheating on him. I had no idea what he was talking about until about an hour later....he wouldnt even listen to me when I tried to explain to him what had happened on the internet.....thankfully someone else was able to explain to him that it wasnt me.....He then came and appologised to me......im just soooo worried that its gonna happen again and that next time hes not going to believe anyone :( ..........does anyone have any advise at all as to what I should do about this person??? I am so confused about it that I have no clue what to do........I REALLY want to find out who the person is that is posing as me.....any advise or help is appreatiated... Thanxx

voncroy81
13-12-04, 18:33
...kill them...
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/violent.gif

seriously though, do you know any people who dont like you? that might work. :confused: or can you change your name or something.????

DarknessAngel
13-12-04, 18:40
...kill them...
lol http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/mischievous.gif .....well, there are some people at the school that hate me...im not sure why but they do.... its hard to tell who it is cuz there are the people that dont like me....but there are also these really immature people who think its fun to mess with people using the internet....so theres multiple suspects....ive tried using another email address...but people still continue to believe that the other address is me

Neteru
13-12-04, 18:40
One good reason why one shouldn't bother with such things.

You could write to MSN support explaining the situation and the trouble it has caused you. They are in a position to be able to trace the offender by IP address and take any necessary action. If you suspect that the offender is someone at school, using school computers, you should inform the school authorities. This is harassment and a misuse of computers and is a criminal offence.

[ 13. December 2004, 18:41: Message edited by: Neteru ]

DarknessAngel
13-12-04, 18:44
Thanks for the advise...im gonna try writing to msn support and see what they say....how do you trace IP addressess? i was trying to figure it out a lil while ago but i didnt really make any progress.....I really want to know who this person is because im thinking about informing the police about what is happening. I have already told the school authorities about what has been happening because I almost got in a fight at school the other day over the subject.

[ 13. December 2004, 18:56: Message edited by: DarknessAngel ]

Neteru
13-12-04, 18:54
MSN will be able to trace the IP(s). Leave that to them if they deem it necessary. If the harrassment continues or gets worse, contacting the police may be appropriate. And keep the school informed I think. If their equipment has been used, I think they have a duty here.

DarknessAngel
13-12-04, 18:59
I dont think that the school's equiptment has been used. This person is usually online at night time..... When I told the school authorities about it the other day, they didnt seem very fazed by it.

Joseph
13-12-04, 19:09
If the person uses his/her own pc (instaed of a public one), then it is the more likely they will find him. There are programs to trace IP's if you know how to handle them. But i agree with Neteru it is best that msn themselves or the police 'trace the person. Keep clean and innocent yourself.