PDA

View Full Version : The Real Driving Simulator...

trlestew
25-08-10, 16:27
Gran Turismo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/Gran_Turismo_logo.svg/500px-Gran_Turismo_logo.svg.png (http://www.gran-turismo.com/)Published: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developed By: Polyphony Digital

Taken from Wikipedia
The Gran Turismo series is developed by Polyphony Digital and produced by Kazunori Yamauchi.

The appeal of the Gran Turismo series is due significantly to the graphics, the number of licensed vehicles, the extent and detail of simulation, and the ability to tune performance. Handling of the vehicles is modeled on real-life driving impressions, tuning is based on principles of physics, and the sound of the vehicle's engine is based on recordings of the actual vehicles. The game has been a flagship for the PlayStation console's graphics capabilities, and is often used to demonstrate the system's potential.

Although Gran Turismo has an arcade mode, most gameplay derives from its simulation mode. Players start with a certain number of credits, usually 10,000 (18,000 in Gran Turismo 3), which are used to purchase vehicles from several manufacturer-specific shops, or from used car dealers, and then tune their car at the appropriate parts store for best performance. Certain events are open only to particular types of vehicles. In order to enter and progress through more difficult races, a license-testing system has been implemented, which guides players through skill development. Players may apply prize money won in events to upgrade their existing car or buy a new one, collecting a garage of vehicles.

Since Gran Turismo 5 Prologue launched on the PlayStation 3, an online aspect of the gameplay has started to evolve. GT5 Prologue has enabled users to race online with up to 16 players on track at once. Gran Turismo 4 for the PlayStation 2 was actually the first online-enabled Gran Turismo game but the online aspect of the game didn't make it past beta stage. Since GT5 Prologue is only a Prologue of Gran Turismo 5, the online portion of the game is basic and is set to vastly improve with GT5.

Main Releases
1997-Gran Turismo (PSX)
1999-Gran Turismo 2 (PSX)
2001-Gran Turismo 3 (PS2)
2005-Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)
2009-Gran Turismo Portable (PSP)
2010-Gran Turismo 5 (PS3)

What's your favorite GT game?
And who else is excited for GT5? (November 2nd I hope) :jmp:

hannon13
25-08-10, 16:53
my favorites are the GT2 and GT4, Yamauchi Kazunori Already thinking about GT6, GT5 will include karts. In Europe will leave on November 3.

Megalith
25-08-10, 17:05
I LOVE Gran Turismo!My Favourites are GT1 and GT3.

GT5 will write history in racing games.;)

Catracoth
25-08-10, 18:30
"The real driving simulator...?" According to whom? :p

Legend of Lara
25-08-10, 18:31
"The real driving simulator...?" According to whom? :p

The box art never lies. :I

matrix54
25-08-10, 18:34
it damn sure didn't tell the truth :p
I actually pretty the older PS1 titles. don't know why, just do.

Vinkula
25-08-10, 19:03
We have all of the GT's because my dad is so obsessed with them. I've tried them, but I don't like driving games. :P

trlestew
26-08-10, 17:41
I just found out that you can create your own course in GT5 O_O
http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d5297p3.html

:D

trlestew
04-09-10, 18:48
And gameplay from the demo of the current build of GT5 :D (3GB O_O)
http://www.gtplanet.net/confirmed-gran-turismo-5-playable-demo-at-best-buy/

JD_xC5sjs_s
and some better videos in the related section :)

Megalith
04-09-10, 19:05
Lol the guy couldn't drive at all.:vlol:
"Replay doesn't show damage"
Wow really?Maybe you can turn car damage on/off.

Anyway it looks amazing,i was pleasantly surprised with how "my home" looked!:D
And i really hope they release the demo soon!!!:jmp:

trlestew
04-09-10, 19:07
He said the controller was broken :p

And yes, I hope it does too! :jmp: Although 3GB is a huge download size. O_O

Megalith
04-09-10, 19:18
He said the controller was broken :p

Yeah i heard it,nice excuse lol.:p

The only thing that so far has kinda disappointed me with GT5 is that they didn't include a 4 player local multiplayer...i was hoping that i could play with my friend and his wife locally.:/Anyway it still is one of the few upcoming games that i'm really excited about.:)

trlestew
04-09-10, 19:21
What? That's final that there would be no local multiplayer?
:/

Doesn't really effect me though. I also want to see more detail about the course editor :pi:

Megalith
04-09-10, 19:28
What? That's final that there would be no local multiplayer?
:/

Doesn't really effect me though. I also want to see more detail about the course editor :pi:

No,of course they'll have local multiplayer but only for 2 players while i was hoping for 4...:o

Yeah i'm also curious about the course editor...i think it will be very difficult to make something decent because car physics in GT games are much more demanding than,say modnation racers or other arcade racers...

Catapharact
04-09-10, 20:23
My fav. game in the series has to be GT2 because that game pretty much sealed the deal for me and my love for the franchise. I remember spending so much time trying to aquire all the cars (Special models and all) and winning all those different special event. Who here has already played the GT5 Prolouge? If you have, what you think of it? I have my opinion on the game but I wanna hear yours first.

And I can't wait for GT5. Daiki Kasho are going to be doing the soundtrack for GT5 as well. Makes me feel tingly on all my special places just thinking about it.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykovJnxUB8o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ykovJnxUB8o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

trlestew
04-09-10, 20:26
My fav. game in the series has to be GT2 because that game pretty much sealed the deal for me and my love for the franchise. I remember spending so much time trying to aquire all the cars (Special models and all) and winning all those different special event. Who here has already played the GT5 Prolouge? If you have, what you think of it? I have my opinion on the game but I wanna hear yours first.

And I can't wait for GT5. Daiki Kasho are going to be doing the soundtrack for GT5 as well. Makes me feel tingly on all my special places just thinking about it.

ykovJnxUB8o?

Never played it. I think I should just wait for GT5 instead of paying $30 for GT5P

EDIT2: O_O Should watch more carefully when I post :o

Catapharact
04-09-10, 20:32
Never played it. I think I should just wait for GT5 instead of paying $30 for GT5P :p
And you mean the menu/jazzy themes?

Yeah its just my GT fanboy-ism at work here :p. Its one of few games that I actually spent the extra dime to get a lame DLC type deal on :p (Halo 3: ODST is another one, along with Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood.)

And the Jazzy tunes are just one of their contributions to the game (which is very welcomed by me.) They also did a few collaborative songs. Youtube is being a b**** right now and isn't allowing me to post Daiki Kasho's "Want to Believe" GT video. So here is the link instead:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykovJnxUB8o

da tomb raider!
04-09-10, 22:06
My enthusiasm for Gran Turismo 5 dropped a little when I discovered how hopelessly poor I am at Gran Turismo 4, but I'm still rather interested in it. Especially with a broadband internet connection potentially being right around the corner (no pun intended). The course editor sounds rather good, too, and I'm looking forward to finding out how it's going to work, and of course using it. Yep, it's all looking pretty darn good. The game's pretty close now. And it can't get delayed again... can it?

My favourite Gran Turismo game is either 2 or 3. I really can't choose which. At any rate, I'm rather fond of all of them. Even the ones I'm not very good at.

Megalith
05-09-10, 12:30
Who here has already played the GT5 Prolouge? If you have, what you think of it? I have my opinion on the game but I wanna hear yours first.

Even though i love the GT series and Polyphony Digital,i haven't played any of the "secondary" releases (except GT HD.)It's a tradition for me to patiently wait each major release.I have to admit though i was tempted many times to buy GT5 prologue but i resisted the temptation.:p
What's your opinion about it?I have heard many people complaining about the online mode although i haven't heard for which reason exactly...

And as much as i love GT soundtracks,custom soundtrack FTW!:D

Chug a Bug
05-09-10, 15:38
I absolutely loved GT1 I played it to death, honestly I won every single race in easy, normal, and hard mode in Arcade and every championship and got the prize of a couple of Hi-Res tracks to drive around, but GT2 simply had more cars, better physics and some great tracks (I still miss Red Rock Valley, I've no idea why they took that out). So Two it is for me. Three and Four are ok, but they don't match the buzz of the first two games for me.

Super Badnik
05-09-10, 17:58
I had the PS1 games. Never really saw them as anything amazing though.

Agent 47
17-09-10, 15:40
Screens - 37 of them. I like the circuit ones :D
http://kotaku.com/5640416/gran-turismo-5-screenshot-overkill/gallery/
I dig the German WWII Jeep :jmp:

Weather footage :D
http://kotaku.com/5640551/gran-turismo-5-brings-the-great-outdoors-inside

So, do i take a risk and buy a possibly BAD, BUGGY, INFERIOR 3rd party version of Fallout New Vegas or wait until November for possibly a 1st party Sony owned game that has all due care and attention paid to it?

Both games look good but one is unlikely to be dodgy, decisions decisions :D

trlestew
17-09-10, 21:36
I don't see how you can compare the two :o But I already shared my opinion of New Vegas in the thread ;)

But those weather effects, wow.

*laralover*
17-09-10, 22:15
Wow thats amazing! I might get this...I havnt played a racing game since GT2...:p

Agent 47
17-09-10, 23:55
I don't see how you can compare the two :o But I already shared my opinion of New Vegas in the thread ;)

But those weather effects, wow.

Easy, 1 is made by a Sony owned dev who know how the console works, the other isn't and doesn't. Ergo the PS3 version of FNV, just like F3, will be yet another poor port :D

Not saying FNV is a bad game by any means, i had every intention of buying it but i'm not confident Obsidian will make the effort to fix the engine to where it doesn't constantly crash. You know there's a problem when even the producer can't give a straight answer regarding the PS3 version :)

As for GT5 however, i know :D even the pics of the tracks look very good, especially the one with mountains in the background. :jmp:

It's a shame Sony didn't renew the Formula One rights as i would've loved to see what the Polyphony guy's would do :(

Although from the 2010 season Codemasters hold the rights. I say Sony should talk to the greedy little dwarf (Bernie Ecclestone) with a view to obtaining the rights to make a game using classic cars,tracks and drivers of the past bygone era of Formula One. Imagine driving around in the JPS Lotus driven by the likes of Senna/Fittipaldi, McLaren of Prost/Senna, Williams of Mansell/Patrese, Ferrari's from the likes of Fangio/Villeneuve/Lauda.

I think Polyphony would do such a game justice and i'd buy it over modern F1 for sure. Racing on the classic layouts of current circuits, circuits no longer used :jmp:

Chug a Bug
26-09-10, 09:18
Just over a month to go. I've had my copy of GT5 on preorder for what seems like years now.

I've been playing GT4 again to get myself back into the vibe again while I wait, man those licence tests are tough. I mean I can get Golds and Silvers on the National A and B tests but the Internationals are hard. Bronzing it is straightforward enough but getting anything better than that takes some serious effort, or something better than a DualShock. As for the Specials... if I can manage a Bronze I figure I'm doing pretty damn well.

Over on the GTPlanet forums though the level of dedication those guys have is astonishing to have all Golds is the norm there, even with a DS... amazing.

trlestew
26-09-10, 13:41
I don't even bother with the "elitists" :o
I'm more casual when it comes to GT.

Bongo Fury
26-09-10, 16:41
Although from the 2010 season Codemasters hold the rights. I say Sony should talk to the greedy little dwarf (Bernie Ecclestone) with a view to obtaining the rights to make a game using classic cars,tracks and drivers of the past bygone era of Formula One.

not sure of the exact date, maybe around 1973, but it is at some point in the early 70's. but f-1 does not hold the rights prior to that. you would have to get the rights from the individual car manufacturers,Drivers and track owners. not sure if that would be easier or cheaper than just giving bernie a truckload of money and keeping it in the modern era. Papyrus did it with GPL but they mentioned many times how obtaining the rights were a nightmare.

Draco
26-09-10, 16:45
Need For Speed > Gran Turismo

trlestew
26-09-10, 16:55
Great. Now please leave if that's all you have to say :)

Draco
26-09-10, 17:06
*claws out*

Gran Turismo might be alright if it was available on something other than the PS3.

But GT5 would have to be far better than the previous GTs to be considered a 'better' driving simulator than NFS or any other game for that matter.

Megalith
26-09-10, 18:30
Trlestew you know i think maybe it would be better if you post in the OP all the features GT5 will have...
That way it might prevent some people to ridicule themselves in front of those who know.:D

:}hello friend
27-09-10, 00:40
*claws out*

Gran Turismo might be alright if it was available on something other than the PS3.

But GT5 would have to be far better than the previous GTs to be considered a 'better' driving simulator than NFS or any other game for that matter.

Psshh.... GT2 > Any NFS

Draco
27-09-10, 01:00
Oh Puhleeze :p

Even the mediocre Porsche Unleashed looked better than any GT.

trlestew
27-09-10, 01:08
Oh Puhleeze :p

Even the mediocre Porsche Unleashed looked better than any GT.

Lies :pi:

Why don't you like GT? It's like awesome and...great.

Draco
27-09-10, 01:27
I do like GT, but the only one I ever played was GT1 and GT3 I think. It's been awhile.

Megalith
27-09-10, 02:06
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/gran-turismo-5-is-only-six-weeks-away/

tomobond875
27-09-10, 07:23
GT2 > Any game ever.

trlestew
27-09-10, 10:22
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/gran-turismo-5-is-only-six-weeks-away/

Time goes by fast :D

:}hello friend
27-09-10, 18:02
GT2 > Any game ever.

Not true. High up there, for sure, but Tomb Raider beats GT for me any day.

Dingaling
13-10-10, 14:57
Sony have just announced that GT5 has been delayed. It's still due for "this holiday season" though which should mean in time for Christmas but "this holiday season" could go into January or if "this holiday season" actually means Winter you could be waiting into March.

Edit: I was also supposed to link you: Playstation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/13/gran-turismo-5-release-update/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=gran_turismo_5_101310)

EDIT: The Sequel: It will be before Christmas according to SCEE: Eurogamer Report (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-13-gt5-has-been-delayed-again)

JonnyT
13-10-10, 15:35
I read about the delay too. Hopefully they do still mean before Christmas with 'this holiday'.

igonge
13-10-10, 15:37
...lol

tranniversary119
13-10-10, 15:46
I was planning on getting my dad this for Christmas. I mean, it was supposed to come out in 2008 it's 2010 and they're delaying it again? Let's just hope it arrives before Christmas.

Vinkula
13-10-10, 17:04
My dad wants this so badly.

trlestew
13-10-10, 21:24
:O

Alright, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to pre-order anymore and just wait 'till the game is actually released. These delays are worse than the internet play for LCGOL :pi:

Megalith
13-10-10, 21:52
The only way they could make up for this is if they'd release a demo in October.Theoritically it shouldn't be very hard to make one for PSN since they have already released various demos for retailers.

I'm curious to know what is causing the delay.

trlestew
13-10-10, 21:59
I dunno >:\

But I'm losing patience. I seriously was stoked for it to be released November 2nd, but that's not happening.

tomobond875
14-10-10, 19:50
FML. Had the week booked off school and everything. FFS.

Dingaling
15-10-10, 10:50
Apparently the delay may be due to the recent hackers and pirates: Eurogamer.net Article (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-14-gt5-delay-due-to-ps3-hack)

Bad times.

trlestew
15-10-10, 11:57
Lame reason. I want a real one next time Sony.

Ikas90
15-10-10, 12:21
WANT! Gran Turismo is my favourite racing game series of all time.

The graphics in GT5 look spectacular.

Megalith
16-10-10, 05:50
-bl64-_ywrQ

Chug a Bug
17-10-10, 08:41
So christmas 2015 it is, then!

tomobond875
17-10-10, 10:25
So christmas 2015 it is, then!

I wouldn't be surprised at this rate :pi:

trlestew
14-11-10, 03:23
So, I was looking in a Sony Style Magazine which came in the mail today (I honestly have no clue why. There is no Sony Style anywhere near here, nor do I remember even subscribing o_O)
Anyway...
In one of the sections advertising "Ultra slick 1080p 3D Sony Bravia's.)" They were using Gran Turismo 5 as an example. Odd isn't it? You would think the game would be out now for them to do that, or at least coming sometime this year.

trlestew
14-11-10, 16:28
Sorry for bumping, but the FINAL release date has been confirmed after all! :jmp: :D

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/12/gran-turismo-5-release-date-confirmed-for-november-24th-2010/
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/342/5168860012c210ac6e15m.jpg
The date is locked in: Gran Turismo 5 will go on sale throughout North America on Wednesday, November 24th.

That means you’ll be experiencing over 1,000 cars, including karts and select NASCAR cars, scores of tracks, the all-new Course Maker, a dynamic weather system, a robust online community, and everything else Gran Turismo 5 has to offer in less than two weeks.

Along with confirming the November 24th date, Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital Inc. had this to say:

Gran Turismo 5 is an ambitious project, with challenges and complexities which have made it our version of the Apollo Space Program! When we created the original Gran Turismo back in 1997, we wanted to set a completely new precedent for the racing genre. With the technological leap onto PlayStation 3, our objective with Gran Turismo 5 was to create another great revolution which would not only satisfy our own high expectations, but would meet or even exceed the anticipation of the fans. Satisfying the loyal Gran Turismo followers is at the heart of all of our efforts, which is why it was such a difficult decision to delay the release of the game, and one which we did not take lightly. I can only apologize to everyone for making you wait so long, and I hope that when you try out the wealth of driving experiences available in Gran Turismo 5, you will not be disappointed.

^_^, I want to pre-order, but I have no money >_<

Chug a Bug
19-11-10, 11:08
Final... until the next delay. :rolleyes:

I've had it on pre-order since 2008! :eek:

trlestew
19-11-10, 11:27
I'm pretty sure it's final this time.

trlestew
24-11-10, 03:11
Yep, it's official.

Gran Turismo 5 is now on store shelves...:yik:

No, I'm not lying. :O (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277393)

Megalith
24-11-10, 03:20
Waiting for my copy!:)
Once we get it we should all start posting screens in this thread.:D

Some screens and photos from NeoGAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24552363&postcount=917
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24541700&postcount=858
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24547013&postcount=881
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24548827&postcount=894

trlestew
24-11-10, 03:28

Although I won't be getting it until late January it seems... :(

Edit: those graphics :O
I need to purchase that HDMI to DVI cable now. 480i won't do this game justice :vlol:

Megalith
24-11-10, 03:34

Although I won't be getting it until late January it seems... :(

Well the problem for me will be to find enough time to play it...i'll be way too busy at least until the 6th of December.:(

BtoFu
24-11-10, 05:34
Got my copy on Monday but I'm 28 hours into AC:Brotherhood and still have plenty to do there before I get into it. Anticipation's running high...but not high enough for me to abandon asscreed yet. I'm expecting PS3 game of the year right here though.

trlestew
24-11-10, 18:08
Many people seem to have mixed reviews on it.

Its metacritic score is in the 80's.

I'm still getting it though, but this...this is just...I'm skipping the intro.
FgGLmp6Pw2w

Megalith
24-11-10, 19:22
I'm skipping the intro.

Same here.Although the graphics are some of the best i've ever seen,i really can't stand the music at all...

My copy shipped today from amazon.uk.:)

BtoFu
25-11-10, 06:16
Many people seem to have mixed reviews on it.

Its metacritic score is in the 80's.

Masterworks always divide audiences. :cool:

Megalith
25-11-10, 20:30
Yamauchi interview (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-25-kazunori-yamauchi-interview-interview)
"Now it's released we're going to have several million people who'll become citizens of Gran Turismo. From here on we have to listen to their voice and see what they want and change the game accordingly to match their needs. So Gran Turismo really is just at the starting point, it's really the beginning and we're just going to evolve from here."

trlestew
26-11-10, 00:44
Anyone here played it yet?

I haven't :/

tombraidergale
27-11-10, 17:39
I have :p Well, I did the first race with a crappy '97 Civic XD I can't say anything right now, I haven't played so much, but it looks good and the graphics are awesome :eek:

Megalith
10-12-10, 15:17
Gran Turismo 5 Tops 5.5 Million Shipments (http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/12/10/gt5_shipments/)
Sony announced today that the racer has shipped 5.5 million units worldwide in the 12 days since its late November worldwide release (through Monday, 12/6).

Total shipments for the Gran Turismo series as a whole have crossed the 60 million mark, Sony also said. The first entry in the series was released on the PlayStation in 1997.

igonge
10-12-10, 15:43
Been playing the beginner series. It's full of granny drivers going 2mph hogging the road :p

Megalith
19-12-10, 17:49
It got a 7/10 from Edge.The review itself is very fair in my opinion.
http://www.next-gen.biz/features/gran-turismo-5-review

Hopefully with all the patches and content coming up,it will get better though.

trlestew
19-12-10, 18:12
No matter the mixed reviews, I still want it :p

tomobond875
08-02-11, 15:08
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5298/5423411668_78a847d8cb_o.jpg

trlestew
08-02-11, 22:16
I...don't get it.