PDA

View Full Version : About Lara & I

IceColdLaraCroft
25-08-10, 18:15
I recently got into a discussion with a friend of mine (whom does not play TR) about my relationship with Lara Croft. I've been playing TR since 1997 when TRII was released as a demo disk for the PS1. Basically the discussion was that I've been playing Tomb Raider longer than I've been friends with this person and consider the weight of my relationship with Lara to weigh just as heavily as any other friendship. Her response being "it's just a video game"

Lara's been a fixture in my life for 13 years and I've also been watching a soap opera for 17 years. Although these relationships are not tactile or a shared experience in the sense that they have any recollection of me or even a consideration for myself as a person I still consider them part of my life and also consider how they've shaped me into the person I am today.

So how about the rest of you. Do you consider your relationship with Lara to have as much weight in your life as your other friends?

There is also the question of being in a relationship. If a bf/gf asked you to choose between them and Lara what would you do?

Personally I would tell my bf that someone who loved me would never give me that kind of ultimatum as I would not ask them to give up anything that they loved to do in their spare time.

trXD
25-08-10, 18:21
I consider my relationship with fiction that I love, including Lara, to be a separate thing from my friends. But i do see where your coming from in that a lot of people tend to feel connected to characters they admire, simply because they are on their mind a lot :)

If someone asked me to choose between them and Lara I would do pretty much the same as you said, I would consider them completely immature and wouldn't particularly want to be friends with them if they were being so weird.

Edit: Even if it was a bf/gf, it crosses the boundaries to tell me not to enjoy something, if my girl friend told me to stop reading harry potter, she would have crossed a line and started telling me what i can or cant do, I certainly wouldn't pay attention to her.

patriots88888
25-08-10, 18:27
I would never put that which is not real over that which is. That's not to say that I don't find any value in TR but as far as any genuine emotional attachment goes to it, it's simply not there.

Catracoth
25-08-10, 18:29
I would never put that which is not real over that which is. That's not to say that I don't find any value in TR but as far as any genuine emotional attachment goes to it, it's simply not there.

Same here.

xXhayleyroxXx
25-08-10, 18:41
I think of her as something I aspire to be, even though she isn't real :p But apart from that she isn't real and doesn't come before my friends/lovers and family.

Encore
25-08-10, 18:42
Well, when you get attached to a character you're basically selecting something that has a positive influence on you as a person. What matters is not reciprocity, or it not being real - what matters is how it has influenced you and shaped your ways to view the world.

Thus, someone being so deeply attached to Lara is something to be respected because it means you feel she somehow represents an important part of you. To say this is more meaningful than a more recent friendship isn't wrong or strange at all. As I read it, it just says you feel like Lara is a part of your growth process. And a friend might not be. Just because it's a friend doesn't mean that it has any real impact on you as a person.

I can think of a couple of writers whose influence on my intellectual growth are far more important to me than many real people I've met along the years.

trXD
25-08-10, 18:51
Well, when you get attached to a character you're basically selecting something that has a positive influence on you as a person. What matters is not reciprocity, or it not being real - what matters is how it has influenced you and shaped your ways to view the world.

Thus, someone being so deeply attached to Lara is something to be respected because it means you feel she somehow represents an important part of you. To say this is more meaningful than a more recent friendship isn't wrong or strange at all. As I read it, it just says you feel like Lara is a part of your growth process. And a friend might not be. Just because it's a friend doesn't mean that it has any real impact on you as a person.

I can think of a couple of writers whose influence on my intellectual growth are far more important to me than many real people I've met along the years.

Completely agree with everything you just said :tmb:

Fiction can inspire and influence people, a lot of people hold certain stories close to their heart because they feel it represents part of them :)

Lara_Fan_33
25-08-10, 18:52

perfectly said :tmb:

Legend of Lara
25-08-10, 18:52
I don't feel any real attachment to Lara. TR is, to me, "just a video game".

And no, I can't say the same about Persona. :pi:

TombRaiderLover
25-08-10, 19:07
There is also the question of being in a relationship. If a bf/gf asked you to choose between them and Lara what would you do?

Personally I would tell my bf that someone who loved me would never give me that kind of ultimatum as I would not ask them to give up anything that they loved to do in their spare time.
You hit the nail on the head there. If my girlfriend told me to choose between her and my Blu-ray collection, I'd tell her to go to hell.

I feel no attachment to Lara herself as she just happens to be the main character in my favourite video game series. I'm not one of those who believes that Lara = Tomb Raider, though I'd imagine there would be a little something lost if they were to suddenly announce that sequels wold feature a different character in the main role.

Mind you, I'm incredibly materialistic and don't like people, so I wouldn't be surprised if ever I did come to value Lara more than any of my friendships.

Vinkula
25-08-10, 19:10
Tomb Raider has really changed my life. I first hated all of adventure games, then I bought my first TR in 2006, which was TRL. I've fan since then, 4 years... It looks short time, but it's a long time to me.

Lara is very strong character in game industry. I mainly tried TRL back then because Lara is so big game character and she is female. A minute before I started play I said to me "This piece of **** goes straightly back to the shop", but happened other things, I got stuck on TR etc. I've quite hated in school and with my "friends" when they got out that I like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. Some friends (mainly girls), doesn't care and I am very good friend with 2 girls in my class. :)

So yeah, TR and Lara has been contributed to my relationship with others. To the way of negative, but "I don't care about them" :p I care my real friends and of course, Lara Croft :p

LNSNHGTDS
25-08-10, 19:28
Err...this is hard.Lara has been a part of my life since I started playing TR.My friends are also important to me.Most of them like Lara Croft,I believe that's one of the reasons we're friends.But I could't choose between them.

Now,for the other question.

I broke up some weeks ago with my Gf so she won't ask me if she's more important than Lara :D but it seems Lara is still im my life while she's not.In my opinion fictional characters that someone likes very much are not humans,but they can't be compared to humans.With humans you can be friends,have fun,argue,fall in love etc. while with fictional characters it's different.You can like them,dislike them,be passionate with them etc.

Now,for me Lara and my friends are two things I can't compare.I love them,each one with a different way,that's why it's too hard for my to choose.

Avalon SARL
25-08-10, 20:30
I am aware this is just a video game,but believe it or not, it's bcz of Lara i am learning gymnastics :p and will son learn hiking and rock climbing
I like to do what she does and be strong like her:p:p:D:D:D:D:jmp:

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 21:34
*About Lara & Me

Sorry. Had to.

Ward Dragon
25-08-10, 21:42
Real friends are more important to me than any fictional character. As for the other part of the question, hypothetically if I had a boyfriend and he was legitimately concerned that I was obsessed over something I would take it seriously and evaluate whether it was having a negative impact on my life or the relationship. However if he gave me an ultimatum to choose, then I don't choose him.

t-raider26
25-08-10, 21:52
*About Lara & Me

Sorry. Had to.

It's actually proper grammar to say Lara & I, rather than Lara & Me... The title is correct :pi:

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 21:54
It's actually proper grammar to say Lara & I, rather than Lara & Me... The title is correct :pi:

No it isn't.

t-raider26
25-08-10, 21:57
No it isn't.

Yes it is

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 22:00
Yes it is

An easy way of deciding whether to use 'I' or 'me' is to take the other person out of the sentence.

'About I' doesn't sound right.
'About me' sounds perfect.

You can also replace 'I' with 'We' or 'Me' with 'Us'.

About 'we'
vs
About 'us'.

You can see for yourself which one makes sense.

moodydog
25-08-10, 22:01
No

larafan25
25-08-10, 22:05
If a friend calls, wants to hang, and I am playing tomb raider, I am playing tomb raider.

However that doesn't mean it has as much of a valuable spot in my life as that friend.

However what would I be doing without Tomb Raider? Well...I'd be pretty damn bored and probably not have half the inspiration I do now, esspecially about video game development.:)

Dark Lugia 2
25-08-10, 22:10
For me, at the end of the day, Tomb Raider is just a game. A very good series and Lara is such a great character, but I remember it as just a game. My friends, family, everyone really come first.

Love2Raid
25-08-10, 22:12
Wow. When I'm not playing the game, Lara doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 22:15
Wow. When I'm not playing the game, Lara doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

On topic, I 100% agree with this :p

just*raidin*tomb
25-08-10, 22:16

This. :)

An easy way of deciding whether to use 'I' or 'me' is to take the other person out of the sentence.

'About I' doesn't sound right.
'About me' sounds perfect.

You can also replace 'I' with 'We' or 'Me' with 'Us'.

About 'we'
vs
About 'us'.

You can see for yourself which one makes sense.
The English language has been altered and evolving for MANY years, so it is debatable. It's all kind of confusing.

But as of now and how I was taught in school, the correct grammar would be "Lara and I."

I personally don't care much for grammar, but the title is grammatically correct, whether it sounds right to you or not. That's just how you're percieving it.

Agent 47
25-08-10, 22:29
No it isn't.

You know t-raider26 is Canadian and there's a strong possibility he/she is indeed correct taking into account a different nations education system.

When i was at school it was "I", the I in this thread title does indeed appear to be the traditional and correct English. :D

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 22:31
The English language has been altered and evolving for MANY years, so it is debatable. It's all kind of confusing.

But as of now and how I was taught in school, the correct grammar would be "Lara and I."

I personally don't care much for grammar, but the title is grammatically correct, whether it sounds right to you or not. That's just how you're percieving it.
Bottom line: 'I' is the subject of a sentence, and 'Me' is the object. It's not really debatable. There are grammar rules that are going out of fashion (splitting infinitives, prepositions at the ends of sentences, etc) but as far as I know, this isn't one of them!

just*raidin*tomb
25-08-10, 22:37
Bottom line: 'I' is the subject of a sentence, and 'Me' is the object. It's not really debatable. There are grammar rules that are going out of fashion (splitting infinitives, prepositions at the ends of sentences, etc) but as far as I know, this isn't one of them!

Well people use both. I do and I personally don't think either sound grammatically incorrect, but that's me, so whatevzz guRL.

Love2Raid
25-08-10, 22:37
But in this sentence, both are subjects, aren't they?

Like:

Lara is raiding some tombs.
I am raiding some tombs.
Lara and I are raiding some tombs.

But I am getting confused here, English isn't even my 1st language. :vlol:

(I would usually say Lara and me though, for the record. It just sounds better to me. ^_^)

EDIT:

Oh wait, d'oh, both are objects. ABOUT Lara and...

So it should be Lara and me.

Sorry. :p

Capt. Murphy
25-08-10, 22:38
The idea of Lara seems like something to aspire to... (Wow, that's a really heavy statement). :eek:

But she's just a creation of Man, and there are better things to strive for. That's what we've made her. An Idol.

And it's not like we can rely on her to do... whatever. It's how much focus we give "her", how much attention and time we devote to "her". I'm putting "her" in quotes since she's not real, she's just an idea, a character. "She" won't feel bad if you neglect her (i.e. Give you friends the time of day), and "she" won't do you any favors if you give her extra attention.

Minty Mouth
25-08-10, 22:39
Well people use both. I do and I personally don't think either sound grammatically incorrect, but that's me, so whatevzz guRL.

Yes, they do; and they're right to!

The situations in which it is proper to use both are very similar and hard to differentiate between, but that's why people get them mixed up so often.

I'm really going off topic now.

just*raidin*tomb
25-08-10, 22:42
I love Lara and all, but I love my girlfriend and all my friends much more. ._.

Evan C.
26-08-10, 01:14
Well,as a kid I didn't had friends,and Lara became one very deep.She is an inspiration for me,as a future archeologyst she is my major inspiration.There's a lot of fictional things that obviously I won't achieve,in fact I wouldn't like to go jumping in the middle of the jungle shooting to a bunch of tigers :p ,but everything I do since I know her is trying to become like her.There's one special thing that happened to me wich marked my life:there was a girl who was my only and loyal friend.For christmas (Ten years ago) I recieved a Lara Croft figurine as a gift,and I was so excited that the first thing that I did was showing this doll to her.She was even more happy because of my happiness,she didn't knew Lara until that day.Two days after that she passed away.I was again completely alone but not completely,Lara was there for me.
I don't know,it's hard to descrive this because english isn't my main language,but I don't believe in god so I consider that every act of my life is a consecuence of my actions,wich sometimes is really hard to accept.But Lara is still there for me,and I won't stop until I become what I want,wich is an excepcional archeologyst just like her.There's tons of things that I wanna achieve,but I won't tell you because they are my sweet secrets :)

Resuming,Lara Croft is the biggest thing in my life,seriously.I don't believe that noone take Lara so deep and seriously as I do,perhaps I am a little bit crazy but anyway,I woudln't be who I am know if she didn't existed. (I think I'm gonna cry :o )

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 01:25
I'm sorry but getting overly attached or fixated on a fictional character is the furthest thing from what I'd call "personal growth". Some people may find it easier to cope with someone fictional, but at of the day the world is inhabited by living, breathing, humans whom they are going to have to interact with.

Tommy123
26-08-10, 01:38

i agree

I think shes an amazing character but anything dose not go anywhere beyond that

trXD
26-08-10, 01:57
I'm sorry but getting overly attached or fixated on a fictional character is the furthest thing from what I'd call "personal growth". Some people may find it easier to cope with someone fictional, but at of the day the world is inhabited by living, breathing, humans whom they are going to have to interact with.

Your missing the point completely.

People can get attached to fiction because it can represent a part of themselves that they find hard to understand or even parts of them that they have insecurities about. Seeing characters overcome certain situations that you either fear happening or you know is inevitable can give you strength, it doesn't have to be real to get your mind going, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

IceColdLaraCroft
26-08-10, 02:03
Not just that but consider some of our own members that have gone into archaeology or history because Tomb Raider sparked their interest in those areas.

It's not just about it being a video game, but what playing Tomb Raider has inspired you to do in your own life. Where you travel, what activities you participate in, what courses you study or what subjects/topics ignite a passion or interest in you.

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 02:42
Not just that but consider some of our own members that have gone into archaeology or history because Tomb Raider sparked their interest in those areas.

It's not just about it being a video game, but what playing Tomb Raider has inspired you to do in your own life. Where you travel, what activities you participate in, what courses you study or what subjects/topics ignite a passion or interest in you.

exactly :tmb:

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 03:13
Your missing the point completely.

People can get attached to fiction because it can represent a part of themselves that they find hard to understand or even parts of them that they have insecurities about. Seeing characters overcome certain situations that you either fear happening or you know is inevitable can give you strength, it doesn't have to be real to get your mind going, and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Let's see...

I recently got into a discussion with a friend of mine (whom does not play TR) about my relationship with Lara Croft. I've been playing TR since 1997 when TRII was released as a demo disk for the PS1. Basically the discussion was that I've been playing Tomb Raider longer than I've been friends with this person and consider the weight of my relationship with Lara to weigh just as heavily as any other friendship. Her response being "it's just a video game"

What exactly did I miss? The fact that Lara isn't actually real? Can Lara come comfort him if a relative dies? Can Lara loan him money if he's down on his luck? Can Lara give him advice? I guess these questions are completely inane though, since I have clearly missed the point...

trXD
26-08-10, 03:28
Let's see...

What exactly did I miss? The fact that Lara isn't actually real? Can Lara come comfort him if a relative dies? Can Lara loan him money if he's down on his luck? Can Lara give him advice? I guess these questions are completely inane though, since I have clearly missed the point...

I just told you exactly what you missed, you didn't even reply past the first sentence of what i said.

Yes you were replying to a specific thing of what he said, I couldn't have missed that, but you were saying that it was wrong.

"I'm sorry but getting overly attached or fixated on a fictional character is the furthest thing from what I'd call 'personal growth'"

And i explained why it is perfectly natural how being attached to a certain piece of fiction can be personal growth, because that was what i felt you had missed.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 03:30
Calm down guys. Agree to differ eh?

We don't want even more unnecessary drama. :)

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 03:32
lol nvm :p

trXD
26-08-10, 03:33
That is kind of random, I'm just explaining my views on how you can be attached to fiction, it hasn't got out of hand or nasty?

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 03:35
I sense danger. The forums are a dramatic place as of late and can get hectic fast. :p

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 03:37
I sense danger. The forums are a dramatic place as of late and can get hectic fast. :p

my signature ;)

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 03:40
Believe you me I agree with you 100%. I'm afraid to do things anymore around here because if I don't point out the wrong doings of others for my reason I'm going to get slammed but if I do I'll also get slammed. Tonight has been dramatic for me. I think I'm spending too much time around here! ;)

On Topic: Lara is part of my life and will be forever. If ever times are tough in reality I can loose myself in the fictional universe of Tomb Raider and it always makes me feel better. Lara is my rock and will be for years to come. :)

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 03:43
Believe you me I agree with you 100%. I'm afraid to do things anymore around here because if I don't point out the wrong doings of others for my reason I'm going to get slammed but if I do I'll also get slammed. Tonight has been dramatic for me. I think I'm spending too much time around here! ;)

lol well ive learned not to be so soft anymore, i am always the nice guy in thread arguments and try to agree with both sides, but people have been so ignorant and such drama queens lately that i have lost pacience very quickly and post my opinions regardless of whether people like it or not. People dont like opinions around here :p and people are VERY quick to point the finger and judge people based on their posts, its a bit disgusting if you ask me, some poeple need to grow up. That stupid Drama begets Drama thread a couple nights ago was a perfect example of what i juts said :p
and also on topic: lara has definitly influenced my life, i have, since i got iterested in the series, picked up a huge fascination in archeology and history, not to mention 3D modeling and videogame design, all because of our beloved Lara :p

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 03:51
I just told you exactly what you missed, you didn't even reply past the first sentence of what i said.

Yes you were replying to a specific thing of what he said, I couldn't have missed that, but you were saying that it was wrong.

"I'm sorry but getting overly attached or fixated on a fictional character is the furthest thing from what I'd call 'personal growth'"

And i explained why it is perfectly natural how being attached to a certain piece of fiction can be personal growth, because that was what i felt you had missed.

I didn't miss it at all, the fact that it occurs "naturally" was never in question. My premise was that regressing into a fantasy world isn't healthy, especially if it takes a similar precedence to reality.

trXD
26-08-10, 03:55
I didn't miss it at all, the fact that it occurs "naturally" was never in question. My premise was that regressing into a fantasy world isn't healthy, especially if it takes a similar precedence to reality.

I was explaining why it was healthy then, I would have thought "natural" would have implied that, although I wouldn't have had to describe what I had just said if you understood it in the first place.

I can only repeat myself, do you have some kind of argument to what I said or not? Because so far you haven't replied on it.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 04:01
I was explaining why it was healthy then, I would have thought "natural" would have implied that, although I wouldn't have had to describe what I had just said if you understood it in the first place.

I can only repeat myself, do you have some kind of argument to what I said or not? Because so far you haven't replied on it.

So natural and healthy are synonyms? I wasn't aware of that... Cancer occurs naturally. I guess that means it's healthy?

trXD
26-08-10, 04:08
So natural and healthy are synonyms? I wasn't aware of that... Cancer occurs naturally. I guess that means it's healthy?

Oh come on, can you please answer what i just said instead of dragging out stuff like that. I could explain why I though natural was a sensible description of something healthy, but it would only encourage another boring reply from you.

On the actual topic, do you disagree with what I said? Do you not believe that people can get attached to fiction because it can represent a part of them self and/or it can be something to look up to? Do you think the only attachment to fiction is obsessive and unhealthy?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 04:20
Oh come on, can you please answer what i just said instead of dragging out stuff like that. I could explain why I though natural was a sensible description of something healthy, but it would only encourage another boring reply from you.

On the actual topic, do you disagree with what I said? Do you not believe that people can get attached to fiction because it can represent a part of them self and/or it can be something to look up to? Do you think the only attachment to fiction is obsessive and unhealthy?

Talk about dragging things out... Did I not include the word "overly" in my original post? Placing fiction on the same playing field as reality is unhealthy, which is exactly the point I brought to light in my quote (I apologize if the facts are inconvenient). Believe it or not, obsession has varying degrees (incredible revelation, I know), and as soon as you start referring to fictional characters as if they're actual friends, it crosses the line of what I would call healthy.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:24
I semi-agree with both of you. You both have valid points and I know Lara is not a really person but sometimes it is nice to have a vice. Others have cocaine I have Tomb Raider. But I don't see Lara as a real person I see her more as a comforting thing like a child's blanket if you know what I mean. I don't start thinking I'm away with the ****ing fairies! :vlol:

t-raider26
26-08-10, 04:25
I forsee this getting out of hand :pi:

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:27
I can read your mind. :pi:

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 04:28
there is a god

trXD
26-08-10, 04:29
Talk about dragging things out... Did I not include the word "overly" in my original post? Placing fiction on the same playing field as reality is unhealthy, which is exactly the point I brought to light in my quote (I apologize if the facts are inconvenient). Believe it or not, obsession has varying degrees (incredible revelation, I know), and as soon as you start referring to fictional characters as if they're actual friends, it crosses the line of what I would call healthy.

Thanks for actually replying.

In some ways fiction is on the same level as reality, as I have already explained.

That is how fiction can effect reality, and that is how you can become attached to it. There is no doubt that you can gain confidence, inspiration and lots of other feelings from fiction just like you can with things in reality, so in that way it is on the same level, did you not cry when bambi's mother died? What if it was a documentary and you knew that bambi's mother actually died in real life, its the exact same feeling only when it happens in real life it is more of an impact, the same impact, but more of it.

If a fictional characters story or attributes effects you in a very strong way, and you are very fond of them, you can think of them as friends, its just another label of someone/something you are fond of, it doesn't mean you are living in a fantasy world at all.

It is a different situation to someone who is obsessed with a fictional character and thinks they are real.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:30
You raise a valid point with that comment Lara_Fan 33 although perhaps you were unaware. Many say God is a fantasy figure and devote their lives to him and talk to him through prayer and some claim he speaks back. I don't want to seem like I'm fueling the fire but that adds a new level to the debate. I do however agree with both of you and am purely in this thread for the reading. :)

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 04:31
You raise a valid point with that comment Lara_Fan 33 although perhaps you were unaware. Many say God is fantasy and devote lives to him and talk to him through prayer and some claim he speaks back. I don't want to seem like I'm fueling the fire but that adds a new level to the debate. I do however agree with both of you and am purely in this thread for the reading. :)

lol i did too http://******************/obscene-smiley-1041.gif (http://******************)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 04:32
Thanks for actually replying.

In some ways fiction is on the same level as reality, as I have already explained.

That is how fiction can effect reality, and that is how you can become attached to it. There is no doubt that you can gain confidence, inspiration and lots of other feelings from fiction just like you can with things in reality, so in that way it is on the same level, did you not cry when bambi's mother died? What if it was a documentary and you knew that bambi's mother actually died in real life, its the exact same feeling only when it happens in real life it is more of an impact, the same impact, but more of it.

If a fictional characters story or attributes effects you in a very strong way, and you are very fond of them, you can think of them as friends, its just another label of someone/something you are fond of, it doesn't mean you are living in a fantasy world at all.

It is a different situation to someone who is obsessed with a fictional character and thinks they are real.

I'll make my final statement brief. Fiction should be a Supplement to reality, not a replacement for it. The ramifications of that are obvious.

trXD
26-08-10, 04:34
I'll make my final statement brief. Fiction should be a Supplement to reality, not a replacement for it. The ramifications of that are obvious.

I am trying to explain to you how things are not that black and white, if you are not going to read what I said then fair enough just don't expect me to take an abrupt ending seriously.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 04:39
I am trying to explain to you how things are not that black and white, if you are not going to read what I said then fair enough just don't expect me to take an abrupt ending seriously.

What about my statement doesn't make sense? I read what you said, I've been reading it the whole time. I can't help it if my summary is concise. In any event, it's late and I'm tired. If getting the last laugh lakes you happy, have at it.

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 04:40
I GET THE LAST LAUGH. http://******************/obscene-smiley-918.gif (http://******************)

trXD
26-08-10, 04:42
What about my statement doesn't make sense? I read what you said, I've been reading it the whole time. I can't help it if my summary is concise. In any event, it's late and I'm tired. If getting the last laugh lakes you happy, have at it.

How could you possibly say that?

You haven't replied properly to a single of my explanations on the actual matter at hand, your just sticking too "its an unhealthy obsession and I believe that this kind of thing crosses the line, fiction is not the same thing as reality". I try to explain to you how it is not that black and white and I go deep into how what you said is a massive misunderstanding, and you just repeat the same thing? That is not a reply.

I cant tell you how frustrating it is to explain something only for you to reword the exact same thing, I have just wasted so much of my time.

It's always back to square one with you.

I know I know guys, drama, but this is ridiculous.

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:47
I think this is a case were the only outcome is to respect eachothers opinions. :)

If you both have set opinions no point in trying to suede eachother. ;)

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 04:49
I think this is a case were the only outcome is to respect eachothers opinions. :)

If you both have set opinions no point in trying to suede eachother. ;)

hahahhaahaah right. This is TRF tony :p

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:50
We know drama. :)

trXD
26-08-10, 04:50

It's not fair that I try to talk to him about my idea on his views and he just heads straight back to the beginning without acknowledging what i said, I would be fine if he had said that its an unhealthy obsession by actually bouncing of my theory, but he doesn't, for all i know he hasn't read a word of it. Surely you can understand that is frustrating?

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:53
Yes I understand but I can also understand that he has his own set opinion and isn't going to be changed therefore to avoid unnecessary drama it'd best best for both of you to agree to disagree. I'm trying to help the both of you by the way so please don't be offended. ;)

I know you may not be but just incase you both are. It's not my intent to cause anything online as there will be no proper finish to it. :)

trXD
26-08-10, 04:56
Yes I understand but I can also understand that he has his own set opinion and isn't going to be changed therefore to avoid unnecessary drama it'd best best for both of you to agree to disagree. I'm trying to help the both of you by the way so please don't be offended. ;)

Like i said, I would be happy if he was expressing his opinion in a way that bounced off what I'm explaining to him, even if he ignored me fair enough, but what I'm angry with him about is that he keeps saying the same thing in a way completely unrelated to what I said.

(we probably shouldn't keep talking about this, if you must you can message me on my page)

Tonyrobinson
26-08-10, 04:57
I'm staying quiet but in a way this does sort of relate to the topic at hand. It shows both differing views of fellow forumers. I'll just stay quiet though to avoid confrontation and let opinions be opinions whether I agree or not. So peace y'all I'm out! :)

Sgt BOMBULOUS
26-08-10, 04:58
How could you possibly say that?

You haven't replied properly to a single of my explanations on the actual matter at hand, your just sticking too "its an unhealthy obsession and I believe that this kind of thing crosses the line, fiction is not the same thing as reality". I try to explain to you how it is not that black and white and I go deep into how what you said is a massive misunderstanding, and you just repeat the same thing? That is not a reply.

I cant tell you how frustrating it is to explain something only for you to reword the exact same thing, I have just wasted so much of my time.

It's always back to square one with you.

I know I know guys, drama, but this is ridiculous.

I honestly think I was doing you a favor by not providing deep commentary on your posts, but since you insist...

So if you really like Twilight, and in some way identify with the characters, you should think of Bella and/or Edward as friends? Would you tell other people about this? I think of anything healthy, socially, as something you could discuss in say... A job interview (when the subject of hobbies comes up)? Would you tell your interviewer that you were friends with Edward Cullen (or, thought you were)?

trXD
26-08-10, 05:02
I honestly think I was doing you a favor by not providing deep commentary on your posts, but since you insist...

So if you really like Twilight, and in some way identify with the characters, you should think of Bella and/or Edward as friends? Would you tell other people about this? I think of anything healthy, socially, as something you could discuss in say... A job interview (when the subject of hobbies comes up)? Would you tell your interviewer that you were friends with Edward Cullen (or, thought you were)?

Like i said, if the characters effected you in a positive or life changing way, you could consider them friends. This is different to regular friends, the word is just one way to refer to someone/something fictional that you have an attachment too. I dont know why you would go around telling people you were friends with fictional characters though, they would surely misunderstand if you told them so out of context.

Tyrannosaurus
26-08-10, 06:07

Lara's been a fixture in my life for 13 years and I've also been watching a soap opera for 17 years. Although these relationships are not tactile or a shared experience in the sense that they have any recollection of me or even a consideration for myself as a person I still consider them part of my life and also consider how they've shaped me into the person I am today.

So how about the rest of you. Do you consider your relationship with Lara to have as much weight in your life as your other friends?

Personally I would tell my bf that someone who loved me would never give me that kind of ultimatum as I would not ask them to give up anything that they loved to do in their spare time.I just had to post it:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/204/d/1/THREESOME_by_kiwine.jpg

Lara_Fan_33
26-08-10, 06:11
^ :vlol::vlol::vlol:

QiX
26-08-10, 06:12
I just had to post it:

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/204/d/1/THREESOME_by_kiwine.jpg

ROTFLMFAO! A picture worth one million words! Good job :D

Raider4Ever96
26-08-10, 07:22
Well,as a kid I didn't had friends,and Lara became one very deep.She is an inspiration for me,as a future archeologyst she is my major inspiration.There's a lot of fictional things that obviously I won't achieve,in fact I wouldn't like to go jumping in the middle of the jungle shooting to a bunch of tigers :p ,but everything I do since I know her is trying to become like her.There's one special thing that happened to me wich marked my life:there was a girl who was my only and loyal friend.For christmas (Ten years ago) I recieved a Lara Croft figurine as a gift,and I was so excited that the first thing that I did was showing this doll to her.She was even more happy because of my happiness,she didn't knew Lara until that day.Two days after that she passed away.I was again completely alone but not completely,Lara was there for me.
I don't know,it's hard to descrive this because english isn't my main language,but I don't believe in god so I consider that every act of my life is a consecuence of my actions,wich sometimes is really hard to accept.But Lara is still there for me,and I won't stop until I become what I want,wich is an excepcional archeologyst just like her.There's tons of things that I wanna achieve,but I won't tell you because they are my sweet secrets :)

Resuming,Lara Croft is the biggest thing in my life,seriously.I don't believe that noone take Lara so deep and seriously as I do,perhaps I am a little bit crazy but anyway,I woudln't be who I am know if she didn't existed. (I think I'm gonna cry :o )

This:tmb::)

nick styger
26-08-10, 08:54
I have given up a girlfriend in favour of Lara. I wasn't going to give up Lara. She does what I say and she don't talk back.:D

OK Just read the rest of this post. Please excuse my shallow and trite remark there...but I did give up a girlfriend for Lara. Lara has become an important part of my life. Not my WHOLE life...that would be unhealthy, but certainly important in a way I can't explain. Sometimes I feel a bit silly, a grown man playing with dolls...and dressing them up (I do modding as well) but on the other hand she has unlocked a whole world inside me that I would be poorer without.

LNSNHGTDS
26-08-10, 11:01
Lol,good picture Tyrannosaurus xD xD xD