PDA

View Full Version : Lock and load

complex
14-12-04, 00:07
I was always under the impression that topics (threads) are traditionally closed because they involve subject matter that has already been discussed (and therefore a duplicate thread has no point) or that the subject has gone so far off topic that it is pointless to continue.

I must therefore express surprise that a topic has been closed just because the debate started to warm up a little.

If members flame each other, people management is needed. A contraversial discussion is possible providing that the forum community displays collective responsibility and moderators exercise overall contol.

Closing a contraversial topic, simply because it is contraversial, displays a lack of control and a failing in community management.

TRChik
14-12-04, 00:22
it isnt because the topic is controversial, but its the fights that members might get into when the debate heats up. the mods are only closing it to end the discussion before feelings get hurt, people getting ****ed at eachother, etc. people just have to calm themselves when getting into a controvercial debate. buttons do get pushed though and its understandable why they might get angered and flustered. but it just seems that with any controvercial subject, by the 3rd, 4th, 5th page, the topic cant be held under control and the forum becomes a mad house!

http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

[ 14. December 2004, 01:24: Message edited by: TRChik ]

Joseph
14-12-04, 00:24
You are mistaken, complex. The topic wasn't at all closed because it was controversial, it was closed because "it involved subject matter that has already been discussed (and therefore a duplicate thread has no point)".

But you are new here, so you probably missed that. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif

complex
14-12-04, 00:33
Thank you Joseph, under those conditions closure is understandable. Perhaps giong forward, the closing moderator could post why the thread is being closed to prevent misunderstanding.

By the way Joseph, has anyone ever told you you have a close resemblence to the British actor and presenter Micheal Palin?

Joseph
14-12-04, 00:41
About me and M.Palin resembling: no, you're the first one, complex. :D

About the reason of the moderator: it is here, on page 4 (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=014263;p=4) . You see?

complex
14-12-04, 00:48
Yes Joseph, exactly. the moderator did a good job by delivering a fair reprimand to those concerned, he was firm, fair and friendly, he managed the situation concisely: and then spoilt it all by closing the thread like a petulant child!

Joseph
14-12-04, 00:51
He had good reason, complex.

SMSL
14-12-04, 08:25
I agree that topics should get closed as things hint they will get ugly, not after they already did.

It's not really the mod's fault. If people could keep a cool head and discuss in a friendly manner at all times, these things wouldn't happen.