PDA

View Full Version : What are my chances, Hollywood?

Sifo-Dyas
29-08-10, 22:29
Hey

I have this crazy idea which might not bring me the fruits that I desperately hope it will, BUT ... sometimes it's better to know you failed than nót to know at all!

I'm planning on writing a movie script and send it to Hollywood, hoping that one of the many, many directors or producers out there might see something in it. Naturally the project is going to be a very commercial movie (maybe someday - if I have the talent and the stomach to do so - I might try some darker crime thriller-drama or something) with the intent of making as much money as possible.

The catch is ... I have never written a script before. I've seen a few, but that's about it.

My question to you is quite simple:
Has anyone out there tried a similar thing ánd ... what are my chances? I mean: what are the chances of a Belgian guy who lóves movies and has quite a bit of imagination (and a pretty solid knowledge of the English language, I might add) breaking through into the mainstream (of B-movie world would also suffice actually, lol) movie business?

Is it plus that the movie business in America is so big, making it easier to release something? Or is it a big, fat minus? :)

Many thanks for any thoughts ... :)

Bye for now

voltz
29-08-10, 22:33
You have to remember with Hollywood, the word is "don't call us, we'll call you". Beyond that, everyone's pretty much a money tossing consumer in their eyes.

Best bet is to write a book and see if you can get it published. Your chances improve if anyone in the film studio's pick up on it.

just croft
29-08-10, 22:54
:( you sure you want hollywood? I mean if you like films so much then you should know that you can probably find better cinema and higher chances in Europe.

Thorpe
29-08-10, 23:20
I would write it out as a novel and pray that it gets published. Then further pray someone turns it into a movie...and if that happens you'll want to possibly allow them to let you produce it.

robm_2007
29-08-10, 23:22
youd probably have to get an agent who has connections. they could read the script, and then send the whole thing (or just an excerpt) to movie producers, adn they copuld read it adn see if they like it.

mind you, they are most likely going to make changes to the scriptt to make it more 'Hollywood' and they might not be changes that you like. (thats if thye think its worth making)

you could get a low-level job at a movie studio, and work there for many years; making new friends in the business and they can see if your script has what it takes. but, the book writing idea voltz suggested is prolly the best bet.

it might be a Pipe-Dream, but dont let the odds get in your way. you should at least write it out, adn then we at TRF can give you ideas or comments:).

RunrigNutter
29-08-10, 23:24
The thing is many movies are from hollywood. I'm writing a novel, but when I finished, and get the manuscript finished; if it was made in a film they have to keep to the original story, setting where it was set or it looks pear-shaped.

TippingWater
29-08-10, 23:27
I want to be the main star in your movie :p:hug: , but jokes aside , I think you might have a chance if you are at right moment and meet the right people . Don't give up your dreams , you have to believe in yourself no matter what . I mean there many people that worked hard and eventually their dreams fulfilled , *cough* Lady Gaga *cough*

t-raider26
29-08-10, 23:27
I think if you wrote it as a novel, you'd have to a better chance at it becoming published, then turned into a movie

Rai
30-08-10, 00:28
I think you've got a long hard slog ahead of you. You could send it to an agent and if they accept it then they'll send it to producers/directors for you. I really don't know how it works exactly but I have heard of script writers getting work by sending in scripts to directors. You need to know which directors or producers are more likely to accept your idea - your story fits the genre they do, etc. All you can do is try, but you may need to send the script to several people before it gets seen. Don't get disheartened by send backs either.

I don't think it is a good idea to write it as a novel first as then you have an even harder time, first to get the book published and even then it may not be seen by film directors interested in making it into a film, it'll have to be extra special. Keep it to a script as then it's more likely to be seen by the right people.

ECB
30-08-10, 01:16
(maybe someday - if I have the talent and the stomach to do so - I might try some darker crime thriller-drama or something) with the intent of making as much money as possible.

I think this is where you've gone wrong. You might want to re-evaluate your principles with film making. Usually the biggest cash cows, are the biggest flop and crappy movies...

RunrigNutter
30-08-10, 01:30
I think this is where you've gone wrong. You might want to re-evaluate your principles with film making. Usually the biggest cash cows, are the biggest flop and crappy movies...

I seriously doubt that.

Most of my favourite movies did well.

freeze10108
30-08-10, 04:00
I'd suggest doing a lot of pre-writing and drafting (but not actually writing the script :p) and then writing the actual script during Script Frenzy (http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/) in April. You'll get the month of April to write a 100 page script; the prize is your finished first draft of your script.

There's a great community in Script Frenzy, and after the writing there will probably be a section on getting it produced. I tried it this year and got about 3 pages in before I stopped (it was on the first day) because I didn't like it—one of the very big pitfalls of writing large pieces, you think it sucks when it really doesn't.

Good luck! :)

Admles
30-08-10, 04:39
Give it a shot, what have you got to lose? All they can do is say No :)

Sifo-Dyas
06-09-10, 09:45
Actually I'm writing a book (in Dutch, sorry) and I plan on doing a script whenever I can't continue with the book. Sort of a way to keep myself busy.

I don't know. I don't get disheartened that easily but only time will tell, I guess. lol :D

Sifo-Dyas
08-09-10, 17:33
[QUOTE=freeze10108;4859321]I'd suggest doing a lot of pre-writing and drafting (but not actually writing the script :p) and then writing the actual script during Script Frenzy (http://www.scriptfrenzy.org/) in April. You'll get the month of April to write a 100 page script; the prize is your finished first draft of your script.

There's a great community in Script Frenzy, and after the writing there will probably be a section on getting it produced.[QUOTE]

Wow!
1) Is this for real?
2) And does it occur each year?
3) Are you saying that if I write a decent script that my chances of IT being produced will (slightly) improve?
4) And what if it fails - can I still take it to Hollywood, so to speak, on my own?
5) And what about a movie script that I already started writing befóre April?
6) Thanks a lot for this! :D