PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Live Gold Price Hike

_Beccaty_
30-08-10, 22:20
The prices of Gold subscriptions are going to be bumped up in November.

But only for members in Canada, Mexico, United Kingdom and the United States.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2010/08/30/price-change-for-xbox-live-gold-subscription.aspx

Thoughts?

I thought it was a rip off making us pay to start off with!

trXD
30-08-10, 22:23
I thought it was a rip off making us pay to start off with!

:tmb:

TheBloodRed
30-08-10, 22:26
I got the email from microsoft today and I instantly made a big deal about it on Facebook. It kinda made me mad because a lot of the services that supposedly make the price rise are things many of us will never use(or want to use).
--

Dear TheBloodRed:
Thank you for being a valued member of Xbox LIVE Gold. We hope you are enjoying the many exciting and exclusive features that are included in your membership. We wanted to let you know about an upcoming price increase for y...our Xbox LIVE Gold subscription and how you can lock in your current price to continue enjoying everything you've come to love about Xbox LIVE, plus all the upcoming additions, including ESPN and Hulu Plus.
Over the past seven years, Xbox LIVE has evolved from an online gaming platform to an all-in-one gaming and entertainment service. As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you can not only play blockbuster games, such as Halo: Reach with your friends online, you can also stream movies from Netflix* and music from Last.fm right to your TV. You can even connect with friends near and far on Facebook® and Twitter™. Plus, you also enjoy exclusive discounts and early access to game demos.
And we aren't even close to being done. This holiday, Xbox LIVE is adding new Gold features, including ESPN and Video Kinect, with Hulu Plus coming on Xbox LIVE in 2011.
• With ESPN on Xbox LIVE, you can stream and watch over 3,500 live and on-demand sporting events plus highlights.*
• Video Kinect allows you to chat with family and friends on the big screen, right from the comfort of your living room—no headset or controller required.*
• With Hulu Plus on Xbox LIVE you will be able to enjoy a customized Hulu Plus experience that will include Kinect navigation and Xbox LIVE Parties*
Besides launching the new features and titles, we will also be increasing the price of Gold membership on November 1, 2010.

Old Price New Price
1-Month Gold Subscription $7.99 $9.99
3-Month Gold Subscription $19.99 $24.99
12-Month Gold Subscription $49.99 $59.99
If the renewal date on your current subscription is on or after November 1, 2010, your subscription will automatically renew at the new price, charged to the credit card we currently have on file for your account.

At only $5 per month, our 12-month offer continues to be your best value. And, because you are a loyal member, we want to give you the opportunity to lock in your current price with an additional discount. Click here or log on to Xbox LIVE from your console to review and take advantage of these limited-time offers.

As always, you can cancel your membership before the renewal date by calling 1-800-4MYXBOX, although we certainly would not want you to miss out on all the great new features coming this November. And don't forget that your friends will want you to get online this holiday to play the latest blockbuster games, including Halo: Reach, Call of Duty®: Black Ops™, Kinect Sports, Kinect Joy Ride, and more.
We hope that you will continue to enjoy all the great gaming, entertainment, and social experiences that Xbox LIVE has to bring today—and in the future.
Sincerely,
The Xbox LIVE Team

Archetype
30-08-10, 22:27
oooooooh yay, more crap from microsoft...

13 dead consoles, pointless subscription fees... :/

Super Badnik
I've only had Gold membership twice. Once was so I could try out playing Lego Star Wars with a complete stranger, the other because I couldn't wait to play the Tomb Raider: Underworld demo, and I never paid for it, I just used a couple of cards that came with the console and a game. In fact I've still a card from my borther's console. So, I'm not personally bothered, but for those who are I think it would be better if Microsoft got the money from advertising instead.

MangelinaJolie
Wow, that's ridiculous. All to pay for their losses by adding Facebook and whatnot? I would rather keep paying what I am currently and not have any of that crap available in the first place.

TheBloodRed
30-08-10, 22:29
Wow, that's ridiculous. All to pay for their losses by adding Facebook and whatnot? I would rather keep paying what I am currently and not have any of that crap available in the first place.

This is a $10 increase which is quite obnoxious!! xD

Yes, I don't want ESPN, I won't get Natal, and I have Hulu on my computer. No need to increase especially seeing how M$ doesn't listen to what people want and just adds stuff they think will sell instead of the suggestions people have offered.

Alpharaider47
30-08-10, 22:32
^^ :vlol: I love this-
As an Xbox LIVE Gold member, you can not only play blockbuster games, such as Halo: Reach with your friends online
Reach isn't even out yet :vlol:

Not entirely thrilled with the hike. I've been lucky and my parents have been paying for me, but once i take over, Microsoft isn't gonna be making as much money off of me, not when PS3 is free :o

MangelinaJolie
30-08-10, 22:35
I just ask for it as a Christmas present every year. :p Not a huge problem for me, but yes, I don't want any of the new features they're adding to warrant this. The only thing I use is Netflix, but I'd drop that and use my PS3 instead just for the principle of it.

robm_2007
30-08-10, 22:42
HUZZAH! we get to have less monies :yah:

are they really in need of that much more cash? i dont go on Xbox Live, so i cant be directly bothered, but the idea of it getting higher makes me cry.

_Beccaty_
30-08-10, 22:57
A games console should really just be for playing games.
You want facebook --> Get a computer!
Microsoft are such money making scum.
They dont charge for PC gaming.
Wii and PS3 are free.

If they arent making money from the console...there's obviously something wrong presumably with their marketing campaign.

They are bound to lose business because of this. Oh well!!

TheBloodRed
30-08-10, 23:13
Actually Beccaty I disagree, people will still pay for Xbox Live even with the increase because of the entertainment Xbox Live brings. It is just a sad business move for M$ especially when giving us features we don't need or already have on our desktop/laptop computers.

lara c. fan
30-08-10, 23:15
*strikes ever getting a 360 off of his list*

Lara's Nemesis
30-08-10, 23:19
It's a pity that everyone gets charged for services most of them won't use.

_Beccaty_
30-08-10, 23:21
Actually Beccaty I disagree, people will still pay for Xbox Live even with the increase because of the entertainment Xbox Live brings. It is just a sad business move for M$ especially when giving us features we don't need or already have on our desktop/laptop computers.

Gah i have to say i agree. I was just ranting. It'd be good if they did but yeah most likely they wont.
It surely wouldnt be difficult to offer just an online play subscription. All this extra stuff is just nonsense.

TheBloodRed
30-08-10, 23:24
My main issue is that my computer and game systems are in the same place, gaming TV and PC monitor right next to each other. So I can do tons of PC stuff while gaming and thus all that extra crap becomes useless. :/

Love2Raid
30-08-10, 23:26
What, they should make it cheaper, damn it! :mad:

Anyway, that update had better be good!

Edit

Oh wait, I don“t live in any of those countries. :D

Edit

Oh wait, I have a US gamertag...:vlol:

TheBloodRed
30-08-10, 23:27
Hulu Plus is about the only thing I see looking good... but then again I have my computer right here! xD

Also, there is the sound quality update for voice but that shouldn't warrant a price increase lol.

Paddy
31-08-10, 00:57
If anything they should make it cheaper, thats why Id rather get 3-4 months Gold then get the full year.

Carbonek_0051
31-08-10, 01:19
Tbh I don't think the price raise is too bad, I'm fine with it. :)

_Beccaty_
31-08-10, 01:23
Its not the "raise" in particular that bothers me, its more the fact they're charging more for a lot of things people don't need.

Ceamonks890
31-08-10, 06:05
Wow! Now that's just stupid! I may not have an account from either of those countries, but I think its not fair for them to increase prices just because they put features on Xbox Live that barely anyone use. Oh well, at least you guys can still use Microsoft Points on child accounts, except us Kiwis!!:mad: They still haven't bothered to fix this problem as far as I know for New Zealand child accounts after over a year. So the only solution is to make a fake adult account. Great idea Microsoft:rolleyes: This is making me want a PS3 even more now.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic a bit(if I did)

Ward Dragon
31-08-10, 06:22
I'm just going to agree with the majority here -- why the hell would I want to pay for Hulu on my Xbox 360 when I get it for free on my PC? I don't have a gold account as it is because I don't really play multiplayer games online, but I'm even less inclined to get one now with the price increase. It's a bloody games console, why does it need Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Hulu, etc.? I mean, if they want to charge extra subscriptions to the people who actually use it then fine, but there should be a cheaper subscription for people who only want to play games online.

Paddy
31-08-10, 06:27
Yeah I think it should ditch Facebook, Twitter. Thats just silly to have on the dashboard.

Lara's Nemesis
31-08-10, 06:27
It would be a lot fairier if you could buy different packages. If you just want to play games then that should be the cheapest.

Money grabbing *******s.:mad:

innocentvenus
31-08-10, 06:40
I'm not at all happy about this hike either. I don't use Twitter and I check my Facebook only a few times a month. I can do that on my PC. The same as Hulu.

The only reason I have live to begin with is to play online. Ugh. I think I might go back to my PS3.

Lara_Fan_33
31-08-10, 06:56
well! im glad im a PS3 player! I thought paying for online play was a bit of a scham to begin with :confused:

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 07:12
well! im glad im a PS3 player! I thought paying for online play was a bit of a scham to begin with :confused:

It sucks, I can't believe I used to bash PS3, I mean I was sore with Sony(still am) but... I was wrong. I admit it. :o

Lara_Fan_33
31-08-10, 07:16
It sucks, I can't believe I used to bash PS3, I mean I was sore with Sony(still am) but... I was wrong. I admit it. :o

:tmb: come to the dark side! we have cookies! :mis:

scoopy_loopy
31-08-10, 07:17
But... I want none of those stupid new features...?

Fingers crossed this is just an experiment and doesn't make it to Australian shores.

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 07:23
:tmb: come to the dark side! we have cookies! :mis:

I've been a part of the dark side for weeks now :o I need to ask Hayley where those cookies are... she sort of converted me :p

Lara_Fan_33
31-08-10, 07:35
I've been a part of the dark side for weeks now :o I need to ask Hayley where those cookies are... she sort of converted me :p

oh do you have a ps3?? :eek:
http://i36.************/2saldsg.jpg

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 07:38
oh do you have a ps3?? :eek:
http://i36.************/2saldsg.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, I do now :D I asked you to add me in OC :vlol:

TR FAN 18
31-08-10, 09:45
I really cannot see any point in increasing the 1 month price while the 3 & 12 months prices stay the same. £5.99 a month is an absolute JOKE! It's so not worth doing that since £5.99 x 12 = £71.88! It's still cheaper for a year but I still refuse to pay £39.99. It's cheaper to get pre-paid cards from the shops. I got mine for £25.99! :D

Shark_Blade
31-08-10, 10:29
M$ must've thought consumers are dumb needing all that garbage.

herothing
31-08-10, 12:46
I was just waiting for this to be announced, i guess this gives them more money for exclusive dlc. Think of it that way ;)

ozzman
31-08-10, 13:09
Thank god for PS3, i'll use my 3 month card i bought a long time ago when i feel like playing Red Dead Redemption online again :D for now i don't realy play my 360 much, when PS3 is MUCH better, better main menue and better RE5 Players, on 360 it's all Little Kids trying to kill you in Slayers....Which i pwn with Jill's Machine gun

CiaKonwerski
31-08-10, 18:46
All I can say is that I am happy I switched to PSN. It was costing me a fortune having to buy Gold cards just to play online. Online play should be free IMO.

larson n natla
31-08-10, 18:58
Did I ask for a sports channel I am never going to watch or some stupidly pointless features I am never going to use, no I didn't and Microsoft I don't want to give you £6 more for my subscription for features I do not want/will never use.

trlestew
31-08-10, 19:02
:/

They are doing it in for themselves. How would this improve anything? Everyone else offers these services as OPTIONAL. I don't get it.

Gamd1011
31-08-10, 19:44
THAT'S IT I'M SAVING UP FOR A PS3!!!!:hea:

Lara's home
31-08-10, 20:46
Meh. You still have it cheaper than I do. :p

TR FAN 18
31-08-10, 21:20
I REALLY do not care about having Twitter or Facebook on my 360. I only want Xbox Live for playing online. I don't want all that additional crap I'm never gonna use.

Lara's home
31-08-10, 21:37
I REALLY do not care about having Twitter or Facebook on my 360. I only want Xbox Live for playing online. I don't want all that additional crap I'm never gonna use.
I agree. I don't mind it if it's free additions, but I completely get why people get ****ed when Microsoft adds content that they aren't going to use, and force them to pay for it.
It's ridiculous, but it works.

]{eith
31-08-10, 21:42
Well that's ********.

dizzydoil
31-08-10, 22:05
hey you guys, have you heard of these: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/ ? :mis:

trlestew
31-08-10, 22:08
hey you guys, have you heard of these: http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/ ? :mis:

lmao.

Hopefully MS realizes that this is a stupid descion and not charge X360 owners extra for stuff they aren't gonna use.