PDA

View Full Version : New 360 controller unveiled

Crash192
31-08-10, 19:04
New Xbox 360 controller with improved D-pad confirmed, $65 on November 9
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/08/08-31-10xboxcont.jpg
Hey, what's this? We just started hearing rumors this morning that Microsoft was planning a new Xbox 360 controller with an improved D-pad, and bang -- Major Nelson just went live with a YouTube video detailing the new piece. The new D-pad is a trick new patented design that's just as we heard from Joystiq: it's a disc in the normal configuration, but a quick twist raises the crossbars about a quarter-inch, making it eminently more usable. (That sound you hear is joyous weeping.) The analog sticks have also been tweaked to be slightly more concave, and -- wonder of wonders -- the ABXY buttons are now translucent monochrome instead of colored. Wild. The new matte silver controller will only come bundled with the Play and Charge kit for $64.99 when it launches on November 9 in the States and replaces the existing wireless controller -- it'll hit Europe around February. Yep, it definitely seems like a major upgrade, but we've got a couple questions: when will it replace the packed-in controller? What about all the people who just bought new Stealthboxes and got the older controller? And, most importantly, when can we have one to try out? We're pressing for answers and we'll let you know -- check the video after the break in the meantime.
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/08/2010-08-31xboxcont-5.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/08/2009-08-07xboxcont.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2010/08/2009-08-07xboxcont-1.jpg

I'm liking that D-Pad a lot :), I hate using my D-Pad when I play the Classic Sonic games and other games like N+ really glad that they [finally] improved on that but why remove the colours from the buttons that one thing I like about the 360 pad and reminds me a lot of the Dreamcast controller for that. The black & white buttons doesn't look nice on it makes it look dull to me but still it's a nice looking controller though.

Thoughts ?

Legend of Lara
31-08-10, 19:06
The monochrome buttons look really weird.

Love2Raid
31-08-10, 19:30
Not lovin' the buttons either, I liked the coloured ones more. But I'm glad they improved the D-pad, because it really sucks. I thought it was just my controller, but I see now it's not.

Super Badnik
31-08-10, 19:33
Looks very nice in its own way, but the multi-coloured buttons also looked nice. Really liking the chrome D-pad though.

Johnnay
31-08-10, 19:34
Warning. Believe it or not this new controller will be good for fighting games

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 19:35
Yeah I'm not diggin the buttons, but the rest of it looks nice :p

Minty Mouth
31-08-10, 19:37
Still ****ing huge and ugly, though.

]{eith
31-08-10, 19:40
Looks nice! Hope there's gonna be one in black to match my Xbox.

Super Badnik
31-08-10, 19:41
Still ****ing huge and ugly, though.Huge? You obviously haven't seen a Dreamcast controller. :p
Anyways, I always found the 360 controller one of the better looking ones. Certainly nicer than it's competitors.

matrix54
31-08-10, 19:45
I like it. Its sleek, modern and cool looking. But the colorless buttons are really throwing me. It will look kinda stupid seeing games displaying colors for games, and the controller has 4 shades of gray. That and they kept the green light for a monochrome controller. :rolleyes:

I preferred the controller white with subtle bursts of color. The new one looks a bit too serious, but it still like it.

Minty Mouth
31-08-10, 19:54
Huge? You obviously haven't seen a Dreamcast controller. :p
Anyways, I always found the 360 controller one of the better looking ones. Certainly nicer than it's competitors.

I have two Dreamcasts :p (One is my step father's, if you are wondering, but it's still in my house!)

I never got along with the Xbox controllers. I always been a dualshock kinda guy.

Crash192
31-08-10, 20:03
Still ****ing huge and ugly, though.

Huge? You obviously haven't seen a Dreamcast controller.

Wat? is it heck huge & ugly I'll ya what huge and ugly..................................
and the Dreamcast Controller is smaller to this too (image below) (I think)
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/n64-controller.jpg
You obviously never seen a 360 pad if you think it's huge

Minty Mouth
31-08-10, 20:20

Well, you're wrong there.

Carbonek_0051
31-08-10, 20:28
Want.

matrix54
31-08-10, 20:32
you want everything :ton:

Phlip
31-08-10, 20:55
I don't get what's been changed about the D-pad... You just twist it so it's higher up? Then doesn't that mean the D-pad is gonna be slightly diagonal?

The buttons being chrome now are gonna give bad continuity to previous games, plus surely it's gonna be harder to identify what button to press in games when you have to press a certain button quickly?

And I see they haven't gotten rid of the battery.

lara c. fan
31-08-10, 20:56
Wat? is it heck huge & ugly I'll ya what huge and ugly..................................

N64!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*swoons*

Super Badnik
31-08-10, 21:07
You obviously never seen a 360 pad if you think it's hugeDC controller isn't ugly (I love it) but it sure as hell is quite big.
And is it just me or does the N64 controller look like it has a big penis?

Ward Dragon
31-08-10, 21:07
Colors are easier for me to quickly recognize as opposed to letters, so it's disappointing that they went and got rid of the colors on the face buttons. About the new D-pad, it does look more convenient to use but I'd have to try it out to tell for sure. My main issue with the current D-pad is how stiff it is (requires a lot of pressure to register that I pressed it) and I'm not sure that the raised crossbar would necessarily solve this problem.

As for the size of the 360 controller I just compared and it's pretty much exactly the same size as the GameCube controller (both of which I like) and a little bigger than the PS2 controller (which gives me bad hand cramps because the shape makes it awkward for me to hold it and reach the buttons at the same time :o). I hated the original large Xbox controller though, that one was ridiculously big :p I'm glad they went with the small controller for the 360.

da tomb raider!
31-08-10, 21:19
All this talk of Dreamcast controllers makes me happy. As for the new 360 controller, I'm indifferent.

robm_2007
31-08-10, 21:23
i dont get the D-Pad, does the area around the arrow keys click down, and then back up when you arent using it anymore?

i'll miss the color buttons. i guess we can void the warranty, and find one of the special screwdrivers to open up the controller, take out the color buttons from an older Xbox 360 controller, and install them into the new one.

Love2Raid
31-08-10, 21:26
Yes, seems like it. I like it, it's much more precise than how it used to be, nice for fighting games. :D

And yeah, replacing the buttons shouldn't be too hard.

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 21:32
i dont get the D-Pad, does the area around the arrow keys click down, and then back up when you arent using it anymore?

i'll miss the color buttons. i guess we can void the warranty, and find one of the special screwdrivers to open up the controller, take out the color buttons from an older Xbox 360 controller, and install them into the new one.

Then, if enough people do it maybe they'll just sell ones with coloured buttons :D

Ward Dragon
31-08-10, 21:34

I want the colored face buttons as much as anybody, but if I paid $65 for the controller there's no way I'd crack it open and mess around with it :o

robm_2007
31-08-10, 21:39
I want the colored face buttons as much as anybody, but if I paid $65 for the controller there's no way I'd crack it open and mess around with it :o

i wouldnt either, its just an option, a dumb option.

its not really gonna help when your playing with someone who might not be a regular gamer. with teh old controller, you can say "Press the Red/Yellow/Blue/Green button"

now you can only say,

A- "Press the Grey button!"
B-"Theyre all grey[ish]!"

:whi:

Lara's home
31-08-10, 21:43
Meh. I'll probably buy it if I ever want to buy another controller. Which I probably wont. 1 is enough.. And I got 2.

Love2Raid
31-08-10, 21:44
i wouldnt either, its just an option, a dumb option.

its not really gonna help when your playing with someone who might not be a regular gamer. with teh old controller, you can say "Press the Red/Yellow/Blue/Green button"

now you can only say,

A- "Press the Grey button!"
B-"Theyre all grey[ish]!"

:whi:
:vlol:

We could put coloured stickers on them, or maybe paint them. :D
Oh well, at least they still have ABXY on them. But it could be a problem if I played with my little cousin, she can't read yet. :o

miss.haggard
31-08-10, 21:46
Huge? You obviously haven't seen a Dreamcast controller. :p

Or a Xbox Mammoth controller! :p

Looks alot like the controller coming with the Reach 360.

Ward Dragon
31-08-10, 21:47

Now that you mention it, that's exactly what I was doing when I was trying to explain to my mom how to play Lego Indiana Jones :p

Meh. I'll probably buy it if I ever want to buy another controller. Which I probably wont. 1 is enough.. And I got 2.

Yeah, I've already got the wireless controller that came with my 360 and I've also got a wired one that I also use on the PC for games that have crappy PC ports and suck with keyboard/mouse, so I can't really see myself paying that much for a new wireless controller. Most games that I play don't even use the D-pad anyway, and the controller can't be used on PC (I can't be bothered to buy a wireless converter thing and then get it working), so I don't really think I need the new controller.

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 21:54
Or a Xbox Mammoth controller! :p

Looks alot like the controller coming with the Reach 360.

Yeah it does doesn't it? Oh well, I suppose the Reach ones will have to do :o

miss.haggard
31-08-10, 21:56
Yeah it does doesn't it? Oh well, I suppose the Reach ones will have to do :o

For now...

trlestew
31-08-10, 21:56
This isn't the new standard right? This is just an optional controller?

larson n natla
31-08-10, 21:57
Well this is a huge step forward in the 'no controller required' era microsoft are going to introduce with Kinnect.

'one step forward and two steps back, nobody gets too far like that!'

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 21:57
For now...

Yes, but I don't go through controllers very fast :o

miss.haggard
31-08-10, 22:00
Yes, but I don't go through controllers very fast :o

Oh goodness, we have a whole storage box full of original ones and 360 ones. *sigh* The good ol' days of LAN parties and split screen.

Alpharaider47
31-08-10, 22:02
Oh goodness, we have a whole storage box full of original ones and 360 ones. *sigh* The good ol' days of LAN parties and split screen.

Aye :( I myself have like 4 in my room, and idk, we have 4 xboxes :o for my birthday(back when we lived in Cali) I'd have all my friends over and we had a LAN party :p But since I haven't any friends up here I don't have much reason to buy controllers. My dad on the other hand, if it has Halo on it, he will buy it...

trlestew
31-08-10, 22:03
They aren't over yet :o
Some games released today *Scott Pilgrimm, GOL* don't have online co-op.

woody543
31-08-10, 22:04
I love the original xbox controller! It was really big though! Expecially in my 9 year old hands
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:M-G3rWVr5nYGUM:http://www.wongjason.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/xbox_cont.jpg&t=1

As for the new one, I rarely use the D-pad, and dislike the grey buttons

trlestew
31-08-10, 22:05
I don't remember it being THAT big O_o
Only played The Sims Urbz, and Tony Hawk Underground on the original Xbox :o The controller felt comforable in my hands though.

robm_2007
31-08-10, 22:11
^ that controller is disgusting!

i had a second generation one, im guessing, cuz it wasnt that grotesque!

woody543
31-08-10, 22:11
^^ Depends when you bought it, they eventually made a smaller controller.

Comparison

http://i51.************/abrqdj.jpg

miss.haggard
31-08-10, 22:50
I love the mammoth. Its so comically lovable.

]{eith
31-08-10, 23:04
I love the mammoth. Its so comically lovable.

Same. They were surprisingly comfortable. Though probably not as comfortable as the smaller one but they were still fun.

MangelinaJolie
31-08-10, 23:44
Well, I guess I should hold off on shipping the broken controller that came with my slim back to Microsoft until November. :p

woody543
01-09-10, 11:02
^^They won't send you a new one, they'll just replace it with one exactly the same.

BoyTRaider
01-09-10, 16:31
I didn't like it. It looks a little bit more modern, but nothing really too intuitive or innovative to me. Seems like I'll just stick with controller I already have. :)

Besides, with Kinect coming out, there is not going to be so much need for a new controller - for me, at least.

ozzman
01-09-10, 17:08
the D-pad and Left stick need to be Switched :D i like it that way better for RE5, but i don't like it, just another wast of money by microsoft, just like paying to play online games, PS3 is better

Crash192
01-09-10, 17:42
the D-pad and Left stick need to be Switched :D i like it that way better for RE5, but i don't like it, just another wast of money by microsoft, just like paying to play online games, PS3 is better
First bold
.....No that would be so uncomfortable and one thing I dislike about the Dualshock controllers, I find way it more easier and comfortable to play games with the analog sticks away from each other like they are now and much like I do with the GC Controller.

Sec Bold
Couldn't disagree more both systems are just as good PS3 & 360 are great consoles none of them are better due to them almost having the same content like facebook,twitter and other stuff

Ward Dragon
01-09-10, 18:02
First bold
.....No that would be so uncomfortable and one thing I dislike about the Dualshock controllers, I find way it more easier and comfortable to play games with the analog sticks away from each other like they are now and much like I do with the GC Controller.

Exactly! I find the Xbox 360 and GameCube controllers to be relatively comfortable to use because I don't have to position my hand awkwardly to reach the left analogue stick while maintaining a firm grip on the controller. On the other hand, I get bad hand cramps from using the PS2 controller for longer than a few minutes at a time. The PS2 layout makes sense for PS1 games that primarily used the D-pad, but most PS2 (and I assume PS3) games primarily use the left analogue stick for movement so I think the stick should be the one that's in easy reaching distance.

Sec Bold
Couldn't disagree more both systems are just as good PS3 & 360 are great consoles none of them are better due to them almost having the same content like facebook,twitter and other stuff

I think the 360 is better for my purposes because it has more exclusives that appeal to me, and most third party developers have an easier time making the 360 version so I don't usually have any problems with framerate or the like. But if someone else likes the PS3 exclusives better, then the PS3 is better for them :)

ozzman
01-09-10, 18:35
First bold

Sec Bold

i only like dualshock more is because i grew up with PS Consols, they are lighter and smaller, which fit my handsize, microsoft controlers are alittle too big and heavier for me. i Pwn Guitar hero with the controller on PS2 but i miss too many notes on the 360 for some reason ??? but both consoles are great, i just like PS3 a little more, in general a nicer group of online players, 360 people get raged when i spam the wait command on RE5 because i don't want to get shot, so the kill me, and Pwn them with electric rounds and my magnum :jmp:

Draco
01-09-10, 18:45
The only good thing about the XBox controller compared to the PS controllers is the XBox hurts more when you throw it at someone.

Ward Dragon
01-09-10, 18:51
The only good thing about the XBox controller compared to the PS controllers is the XBox hurts more when you throw it at someone.

That reminds me -- my brothers were playing some game together and one of them got so angry he threw the controller across the room and it cracked open the plastic container that it hit :vlol:

innocentvenus
01-09-10, 18:51
I don't like those monochrome buttons. I have no idea what letters they are without the colors. That's how I've been playing. Or what I do is link the colors to the PS controller shapes and their positions. So red is circle, green is x, yellow is triangle, and blue is square. It's weird, but it works somehow. :p

From growing up with the Dualshock controllers I noticed the stick placement is a bit uncomfortable for me compared to the Xbox controllers. I notice it more when I go back and forth between each system. Dualshock works better for action games and Xbox for shooters.

AmericanAssassin
03-09-10, 04:28
This is something I'll be purchasing. :cln:

Shark_Blade
03-09-10, 11:52
Meh. I'll probably buy it if I ever want to buy another controller. Which I probably wont. 1 is enough.. And I got 2.Same.