PDA

View Full Version : Apple Annoucement Tomorrow - iPhone for Verizon?

MattTR
01-09-10, 05:11
A lot of rumors are going around, but tomorrow Apple has a big annoucement. Here's (http://www.usanewsweek.com/blog/are-you-expecting-verizon-iphone-white-iphone-4-at-september-1-apple-event-1282960711/) the article in detail.

http://www.topnews.in/files/Verizon-Iphone.jpg

Besides the iPhone coming to Verizon, it also mentions the white iPhone 4 and new iPod models such as the Touch and the Nano.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/07/19/112320-white_iphone_4_views.jpg

I've been waiting on news pertaining the white iPhone 4 for months now. :p

I'm personally looking forward to this, it'll at least put a lot of rumors to an end if what they say is true. :tmb:

Kiss-Bite
01-09-10, 05:15
I've just bought an iphone 4, the most expensive mobile that I have bought. I got the black version... I'm impressed with it so far. :) Do you want it in the white?

MattTR
01-09-10, 05:18
I've just bought an iphone 4, the most expensive mobile that I have bought. I got the black version... I'm impressed with it so far. :) Do you want it in the white?

That's good to hear you enjoy it. :tmb: I currently have thewhite iPhone 3GS. :p It's okay, seems to freeze a lot at times but that may be an O.S.4 issue. I wouldn't mind upgrading though (even though I just got it in December of last year). But yes, I've been waiting for the white iPhone for months now, I just love to be different.. with the white iPhone being less common, it works out. :ton:

Draco
01-09-10, 05:29
I didn't think Verizon even wanted the iPhone.

IceColdLaraCroft
01-09-10, 05:41
http://i32.************/24ctvz7.jpg

I'm SO tired of "iphone" this and "iphone" that. Just about the only thing it doesn't do is make phone calls.

LegendLost
01-09-10, 05:58
http://i32.************/24ctvz7.jpg

I'm SO tired of "iphone" this and "iphone" that. Just about the only thing it doesn't do is make phone calls.

NOT TRUE... I was able to make one phone call that wasn't dropped since I got mine a month ago. :jmp:, In all honesty though, I only had abut 2 dropped calls, otherwise its been no problem at all and Ive had it for about a month. It really is a fantastic phone.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 06:00
I didn't think Verizon even wanted the iPhone.

No I'm quite positive they do, considering Verizon has a better 3G network and if the iphone antenna issues were fixed then Verizon would probably stand to make a killing.

Draco
01-09-10, 06:28
They don't need another crappier phone than the Droids though.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 06:29
They don't need another crappier phone than the Droids though.

No, but plenty of people want the iphone anyways, and if they have both that's more incentive to swap. If you don't like one you can have the other and keep the same network... :whi:

Draco
01-09-10, 06:33
Can do that anyway... lol

voltz
01-09-10, 06:34
I like this better then sticking to AT&T, but still I'd rather see them fully supportive of "jail-broken" phones.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 06:34
Can do that anyway... lol

You get what I mean though :p

Cochrane
01-09-10, 07:45
Nothing really interesting rumored for that announcement. New iPods are great, of course, but I don’t need one right now. As for Verizon iPhone, the last I heard was that the announcement would be closer to january, so if you care about that thing you should not hold your breath.

And the white iPhone (any generation) looks horrible. The longer Apple delays it, the better. :D

I like this better then sticking to AT&T, but still I'd rather see them fully supportive of "jail-broken" phones.
No chance in hell. It would not only be a support nightmare, it would also cause new security issues (there is malware for iPhones, but it always requires jailbroken iPhones) and open the door to app piracy (which also requires jailbroken iPhones).

Edit to add: As it turns out, for the first time in years, Apple will provide a live stream of the event: http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010/08/31alert.html
Even though I’m not interested in the potential announcements, I am absolutely going to watch this. Those are always fun.

Johnnay
01-09-10, 09:03
Media Alert

Apple to Provide Live Video Streaming of September 1 Event

What:
Live video stream of Apple’s September 1 event
When:
Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 10:00 a.m. PDT
Where:
www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com/)
Live Video Streaming
Apple® will broadcast its September 1 event online using Apple’s industry-leading HTTP Live Streaming, which is based on open standards. Viewing requires either a Mac® running Safari® on Mac OS® X version 10.6 Snow Leopard®, an iPhone® or iPod touch® running iOS 3.0 or higher, or an iPad™. The live broadcast will begin at 10:00 a.m. PDT on September 1, 2010 at www.apple.com (http://www.apple.com/).
This broadcast is the property of Apple and is protected by US copyright law and international treaties. Any reproduction or distribution is strictly prohibited without prior written approval from Apple. Please contact Apple Public Relations with any questions.
Apple designs Macs, the best personal computers in the world, along with OS X, iLife, iWork, and professional software. Apple leads the digital music revolution with its iPods and iTunes online store. Apple is reinventing the mobile phone with its revolutionary iPhone and App Store, and has recently introduced its magical iPad which is defining the future of mobile media and computing devices.
Press Contacts:
Kristin Huguet
Apple
khuguet@apple.com
(408) 974-2414

NOTE TO EDITORS: For additional information visit Apple’s PR website (http://www.apple.com/pr/), or call Apple's Media Helpline at (408) 974-2042.
Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, Safari, Snow Leopard, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

NO PC USERS ALLOWED IN THE LIVE STREAMING:vlol:

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 09:16
I want something bigger than a new colour / new network.

woody543
01-09-10, 11:15
I think a newly redesigned iPod touch will be announced.

Cochrane
01-09-10, 12:05
Okay, my official predictions:

- New iPod touch, with some camera and screen like the iPhone 4. Available right now or soonish.
- iOS 4.1 available for download right now. Big new feature: Game Center
- New iPod nano, looking different from what we know.
- Either no mention of the iPod classic, or it will be replaced by a larger iPod touch.
- Some new feature for the iTunes store.
- Either no mention of a Verizon iPhone 4, or it will be months away from officially shipping.

Let’s see how well this works out.

Dennis's Mom
01-09-10, 12:07
This rumor was swirling a while back, and I read an article that said the iPhone was actually incompatible with Verizon's network. Apparently there's two kinds of signals . . . ?

Cochrane
01-09-10, 12:18
This rumor was swirling a while back, and I read an article that said the iPhone was actually incompatible with Verizon's network. Apparently there's two kinds of signals . . . ?

Yes. Most networks world-wide use GSM. AT&T is an example, T-Mobile USA another. Verizon and a small number of others use CDMA instead. The iPhone only supports GSM, because this is available everywhere, while CDMA isn’t.

So if the iPhone is to be available on Verizon, Apple has to develop new hardware. That means either a second version of the iPhone that supports CDMA instead of GSM, or an iPhone that supports both.

Nerd For Life
01-09-10, 12:32
Another thread about Apple/iPhones? Wow.

Johnnay
01-09-10, 18:07
I can say that the new Touch, Nano, Shuffle, Apple TV, iTunes 10, Ping(a new social music network) is released so far,

The event is still live, oh and no new Classic either, they're dead:)

Cochrane
01-09-10, 18:27
Okay, checking myself:

- New iPod touch, with some camera and screen like the iPhone 4. Available right now or soonish.
Yes.

- iOS 4.1 available for download right now. Big new feature: Game Center
Almost (it hits a week from now).

- New iPod nano, looking different from what we know.
Given the rumors, that was not hard.

- Either no mention of the iPod classic, or it will be replaced by a larger iPod touch.
Yep. BTW, Apple still lists the iPod classic on their iPod site.

- Some new feature for the iTunes store.
I wouldn’t have expected Ping, but I was vague enough to count this still as a win.

- Either no mention of a Verizon iPhone 4, or it will be months away from officially shipping.
Yeah.

I missed the new version of iTunes and Apple TV (not sure why I forgot the Apple TV, though), as well as the preview of iOS 4.2.

Speaking of iTunes, what do you think of the new logo? I am going to try and apply every trick known to man to keep the old logo after the update.

EmeraldFields
01-09-10, 18:31
What does the new iTunes logo look like?

Cochrane
01-09-10, 18:32
http://images.apple.com/itunes/home/images/callout_download20100901.png

I like the old one a lot more.

EmeraldFields
01-09-10, 18:34
Yeah, it's kinda fug.

Can you download iTunes 10 right now?

Cochrane
01-09-10, 18:38
Not right now, but it should start any moment now.

TRfan23
01-09-10, 18:42
:jmp: Can't wait for iTunes 10 then :D

My iPod Nano 5th Gen wants to connect to the new one :)

Johnnay
01-09-10, 19:01
Meanwhile I'm loving the new Touch:). Cant wait for iFixit to reveal what's inside it

I'm glad Apple fixed the problems in it's new Shuffle:)

Poor Nano, no camera, no photos and no video capability. Why did they introduce a Camera for last generation model anyway

Johnnay
02-09-10, 01:48
Not right now, but it should start any moment now.

i wish it starts now.

MattTR
02-09-10, 02:15
Thew new logo looks like it's done in paint, wow.. don't like at all.

And I'm sort of disappointed from this announcement, I expected more, but oh well.. the new iPod lineups look promising. :tmb:

laralives
02-09-10, 02:24
I seem to be able to download it.... :/

WCookie
02-09-10, 02:35
I like the new iToons design but the logo is so crappy, will miss the old one :/

Johnnay
02-09-10, 02:51
everyone lets use Ping and follow Gaga with it

Tony9595
02-09-10, 03:26
^ Eww no! :mad:

But cool, I'm downloading it right now :yah:

woody543
02-09-10, 08:16
New iTunes logo looks like a piece of clipart I would use at school.

Also Apple TV gets a 1:1 conversion rate $99 - £99

WCookie
02-09-10, 08:33
everyone lets use Ping and follow Gaga with it

Spending time following someone who doesn't even know you exist... :rolleyes:

woody543
02-09-10, 09:43
Hmmm I might follow my friends on Ping, but nobody is following me... they'll all mock me about my music choice

Cochrane
02-09-10, 09:45
To keep the logo on Mac OS X:

Before updating, right-click on your iTunes in Finder and select "Show package contents". In the window that opens, go to Contents and then Resources and copy iTunes.icns to your desktop. If you have already updated, google around, I would be very surprised if there wasn’t an old iTunes.icns available for download somewhere.

After updating, again right-click on your iTunes in Finder and select "Show package contents". Again, go to Contents and then Resources, and then put the iTunes.icns from your desktop in there, overwriting the newer one. It'll probably ask you for your password.

If you had iTunes in the Dock, pull it out from there and put it back in. After that, iTunes should show the old logo in the Dock and Finder. It will still show the new one in some dialogs, in the Ping icon and so on, but no longer at the place where it matters the most.

True Mac nerds know, of course, that there are other ways, but this is the one that I think will work best in most situations. BTW, I have no idea how to do this for Windows. :D

larson n natla
02-09-10, 09:46
I'm just downloading the new i-tunes apple's stuff is to expensive I have an I-pod touch so I'm happy with that for now.

woody543
02-09-10, 09:57
New iTunes logo looks like a piece of clipart I would use at school.

Proof:

Haha I knew it! Microsoft clip-art: http://bit.ly/daZRWR iTunes logo: http://bit.ly/aoKYxl (I used to use clip-art way too much)

Legends
02-09-10, 10:05
OMG! What happened to my iTunes? :yik:

Johnnay
02-09-10, 10:31
Spending time following someone who doesn't even know you exist... :rolleyes:

thats kinda the main point of Ping... follow artists real profiles on it:D

TRfan23
02-09-10, 21:10
http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.hml

:eek: I love the new design of the Nano! :D

But no point me buying it when I can survive with my 5th Gen :)

I wonder who still buys iPod Shuffles?

Hate the new iTunes icon, but I don't care about it being displayed.

Bimbo mode: Can someone tell me what Audiobooks are?

Minty Mouth
02-09-10, 21:19
Bimbo mode: Can someone tell me what Audiobooks are?

Someone reads a book to you. Pretty simple :p

TRfan23
02-09-10, 21:26
Someone reads a book to you. Pretty simple :p

:o

I take it you buy them from the iTunes store?

Take that as a yes...

woody543
02-09-10, 21:26
I wonder who still buys iPod Shuffles?

The people that I know who've bought them are parents, whose younger children want an iPod, but don't want to buy them a more expensive model. (in most cases however it's so small it's easier to loose).

_Awestruck_
02-09-10, 23:45
Whoa whoa whoa :eek:. That logo....I could've done a better job with colored pencils.