PDA

View Full Version : Creative Things To Do in a Blackout

Liara
01-09-10, 13:09
I recently had a major blackout and was stuck for a good part of the evening without any technology (the horror!). I have very few magazines, no VCR, no laptop, no board games, no friends who live close and I can't read a book because reading by candlelight would ruin my eyes.

So, fellow technophiles: tell me fun things to do during a blackout, so next time I won't die of boredom. Extra points if your suggestion sounds insane and quirky but isn't deadly. :p

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 13:11
Make sure your laptop is charged.

:pi:

Dina_Croft
01-09-10, 13:28
Listening to music on my phone, playing DS and playing guitar.

Then I'm bored.

Avalon SARL
01-09-10, 13:31
You CAN:

1- Do some sports

Pushups and abs :D

:jmp:

HappyShannon
01-09-10, 13:33
Charge your laptop (if you have one), iPod, phone, DS, things like that.

Try drawing in the dark :D :p

When I had a blackout a few months ago I got a torch and started telling ghost stories :p

Cochrane
01-09-10, 13:45
If it is still light outside, read a book.

Shark_Blade
01-09-10, 13:53
When I had a blackout a few months ago I got a torch and started telling ghost stories :pYes, tell ghost stories to yourself. That will be great fun.

patriots88888
01-09-10, 14:01
Charge your laptop (if you have one), things like that.

How does anyone charge their lappy, iPod, phone, DS, if there's no power to do that? :/

If it is still light outside, read a book.

Explain how that is creative. Unless you're referring to novels and fiction or something other than boring technical reading material. :p Jk. :D

Nerd For Life
01-09-10, 14:06
Make sure your laptop is charged.

Charge your laptop (if you have one)

I have very few magazines, no VCR, no laptop

Ahem. :p

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 14:08
Ahem. :p

Damn, I mistook that for not having it charged.

*slaps head*

HappyShannon
01-09-10, 14:11
Yes, tell ghost stories to yourself. That will be great fun.

:p I obviously meant I was telling them to people.

How does anyone charge their lappy, iPod, phone, DS, if there's no power to do that? :/

I meant ahead of time :p

patriots88888
01-09-10, 14:18
I meant ahead of time :p

Oh, right you are. :) But doesn't that defeat the entire purpose?

digitizedboy
01-09-10, 15:22
Light some candles in a circle on the floor and conduct some kind of satanic ritual.

Tomb-Dude
01-09-10, 15:32
Me and my family got some old board games out and played that for like 2 hours if not more until the village had power again. (we use candle light since its was night time lol)

peeves
01-09-10, 15:33
I'd always like to look at my Now That's Music CD Case covers. Other than that that's about it.

sandygrimm
01-09-10, 15:39
I made myself a hand puppet :p. With a lantern on my head, and a barely visible needle!:p

VictorXD
01-09-10, 15:40
You CAN:

Pushups and abs :D

:jmp:

I love this :pi:

Legend of Lara
01-09-10, 15:55
Light some candles in a circle on the floor and conduct some kind of satanic ritual.

This.

I'd always like to look at my Now That's Music CD Case covers. Other than that that's about it.

That's... sad.

RunrigNutter
01-09-10, 16:04

How do you see them when it's pitched-black. I may have song ideas, that I say over again in my mind.

Liara
01-09-10, 16:08
I like the ghost story suggestion a lot. Better keep that in mind.

You are awesome. Good thing I got a large collection of candles handy. Now all I need are a few victi-- uh, friends...

ryan91
01-09-10, 16:17
light a candle and try to bend it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrokinesis

peeves
01-09-10, 16:51
How do you see them when it's pitched-black. I may have song ideas, that I say over again in my mind.

I have a flashlight at night time and if it's the day time without power it's light out and i can see them.

Legend of Lara
01-09-10, 16:53
I have a flashlight at night time and if it's the day time without power it's light out and i can see them.

Sooooooooo... you just look.

At CD covers.

peeves
01-09-10, 16:53
Sooooooooo... you just look.

At CD covers.

Well yeah. That's my interest in artwork on the now that's music covers.

the ancient
01-09-10, 16:54
light a candle and try to bend it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrokinesis

I would try that :p

use your cell phone and text with friends :p

snork
01-09-10, 17:32
Go out, hide in some bushes or something, and when someone passes by jump out and start screaming as hell. :p

(I have been watching Beavis and Butthead again :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIDPFGlm_DA )

patriots88888
01-09-10, 17:36
This thread is all the proof anyone needs to show that genuine creativity is dead. :p Joking. Or am I?

ryan91
01-09-10, 17:37
Go out, hide in some bushes or something, and when someone passes by jump out and start screaming as hell. :p

haah it's so funny. actually it was the thing i do to neighborhood kids when i was a kid:whi:

Draco
01-09-10, 17:46
Geez, you all would die if the power went out for good.

Me? I'd pull out my massive Lego collection and a hurricane lantern.

:}hello friend
01-09-10, 17:56
Sleep

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 18:22
Buy a board game, light loads of candles and read a book/draw, sleep... umm, well what do you do usually? :p

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 18:23
Buy a board game, light loads of candles and read a book/draw, sleep... umm, well what do you do usually? :p

Buy a board game from somewhere that has no power!

That works... :p

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 18:24
Buy a board game from somewhere that has no power!

That works... :p

No, no. Buy a board game now for future use :)

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 18:24
No, no. Buy a board game now for future use :)

Things to do in a blackout. Not before. :pi:

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 18:26

Playing a board game is the best thing to do in a blackout I find :pi: So, I suggested to buy a board game now to use in a blackout in the future, which is what was asked.

NemesisxAngelus
01-09-10, 18:31
I had this happening to me a few days ago, the entire neighborhood went black, and it was raining with thunder and lightning. I got out and enjoyed it. It was so extremely peaceful, should happen more often in my eyes. :cool:

RunrigNutter
01-09-10, 20:45
All good looking at CD covers, but thats pretty boring unless you get inspiration. I always have a few lines for a song in my head that I need to write down before I forget.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 20:50

Yes but if you think like a survivalist you have everything ready before :p

I agree with Hayley, grab yourself a board game, some candles, a flashlight, and some MREs :D

aurora89
01-09-10, 21:04
I always have glowsticks on hand and try to keep my phone/mp3 player charged, especially if there's a storm in the area. If I feel well I get out glowsticks and put them on shoelaces and start 'raving' to my own personal music (just look up glowstringing on youtube, it's awesome!). If I'm not feeling well, which is most of the time, I take a nap or write a story in my head or text my friends. Also my cheap little netbook has like 7-9 hours of battery life when fully charged, so sometimes I play solitaire or work on my novel.

ShadyCroft
01-09-10, 21:10
well, always keep your phone, MP3 player or whatever charged, and when you get a blackout, spend your time as I do, listening to music, and as Lady Gaga says, dance in the dark. :)

:p

ozzman
01-09-10, 21:19
i listen to my PSP music and draw, i suck at drawing but it's the only thing i can do

scoopy_loopy
01-09-10, 21:26
My old town was notorious for powerouts, in our state there were lots of "The Giant ---" (The Giant Banana, the Giant Pianapple) Tourist Traps, people labelled our town, "The Giant Candle" :vlol:

If it was dark, I'd just get into bed. Maybe read with a torch.

Laralissa
01-09-10, 21:36
You know what I find really fun to do in blackouts? Juggle things *while* looking at cd covers.

snork
01-09-10, 21:58
What do you do once a juggling item fell down and disappeared in the dark ? :D

Actually I never tried juggling in the dark, I don't have no torches, just balls and clubs.
Might be fun.

cbragg09
01-09-10, 22:08
I look at the dark

robm_2007
01-09-10, 22:11
dance in the dark. oh, how im guessing everyone will or has said this.

TRfan23
01-09-10, 22:31
Play board games, look at the dark, look at CD Artwork covers whilst juggling, dance in the dark, listen to PSP music, draw, read a book, light a candle and bend it, listen to music on your phone, play your DS, play your guitar, do some sports including push-ups and abs, charge your laptop even if you don't have one, tell ghost stories, sing kumbaya...

Eat loads and loads and loads of food and stuff it down your gob, then > Run around the house naked, then outside your house, then back inside your house, then back outside...

Lastly look at your laptop then vomit. For example - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6D7CjbrieE

Very creative :tmb: Lots of colours :D

Super Badnik
01-09-10, 23:11
No comment.

stranger1992
02-09-10, 00:53
Ahh this takes me back to this weekend. Our house had no power or hot water from Friday-Sunday morning. OH THE HORROR! I spent both nights just talking crap to my family about uni and listening to my ipod. :)

ozzman
02-09-10, 00:57
one time my neighbor kid was SCREAMING, because he couldn't play Halo 3 , he had just got it , i Rolled on the floor and laughed, and thought "Why wast your moms money on that peice of crap" he was realy fat too, i never see him outside much

larafan25
02-09-10, 01:40
No comment.

Oh....

Well I normally just wait untill the power comes back on or go to bed, all of the recent power outages have taken place in the evening, so that's convenient.

The last time we had a big power outage for 3 days was when I was young and didn't use computers or televisions, I got my entertainment from in my pants.......wait, no...in my head......from my imagination.:pi:

CuteKittenlol
02-09-10, 01:48
No comment.

Hehe.

Depends, if i was with my BF..well, we wouldn't be playing board games :pi: If i was at home with the famo..i'd use the laptop, or read, or something.

larafan25
02-09-10, 01:51
Ahhh! Why is everyone so disgusting in here! D:

JK

Tommy123
02-09-10, 03:58
I lost power tuesday for like two hours

Thank god for a fully charged ipod :D

Johnnay
02-09-10, 04:14
pretend your the boogy monster and scare people randomly in the dark.

robm_2007
02-09-10, 04:16
pretend your the boogy monster and scare people randomly in the dark.

until they start kicking and punching you randomly.

:eek:

SpongeBob Lover
02-09-10, 04:42
eat fatty comfort foods

jk that's a horrible idea, don't do it.

IceColdLaraCroft
02-09-10, 04:46
Go somewhere that DOES have power and possibly wifi :)

jarekhanzelka
02-09-10, 05:33
The last time we had blackout, I went out, just for a walk, and I met some people and it all resulted in a party with complete strangers.:D

Lara_Fan_33
02-09-10, 05:56
i eat babies because blackouts cause darkness and you cant eat babies when its light out. lol jk seriously dont take me seriously i would light candles and draw

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 05:57
i eat babies because blackouts cause darkness and you cant eat babies when its light out.

:vlol:

Another Lara
02-09-10, 07:32
What else is there to do when there's a power cut than having sex... why do you think there was such a baby boom during the Blitz?! ;)

scoopy_loopy
02-09-10, 07:34
What else is there to do when there's a power cut than having sex... why do you think there was such a baby boom during the Blitz?! ;)

:vlol: And yet another spin on the term "London Underground" was born. :cln:

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 07:36

That's certainly procreative ;)

Lara_Fan_33
02-09-10, 08:17

i might eat them though remember... LMAO JK

Nausinous
02-09-10, 08:23
Tools to survive a blackout:

Lemons
Physics for Dummies
Electronics for Dummies
Electricians Toolbox

... You can make your own electricity.

Shirley_Manson
02-09-10, 11:26
Light 100 candles and read a romantic novel.
Light 125 candles and read a crime novel.
Light 150 candles and read a horror novel.

(probably by the time you light those the power will come back on, though...) :pi:

I, Tomb Raider
02-09-10, 12:12
The most creative thing to be done is to go to bed. :p
I do that all the time. :vlol:

Or I pray my netbook has a full battery. :rolleyes:

larson n natla
02-09-10, 12:30
Build a wicker man and then torch him with the villagers to show your hatred of technology!

sandygrimm
02-09-10, 12:48
Loot the nearest store :pi:

play hide and seek, tell ghost stories at night, at day go outside ..

domina
02-09-10, 18:29
In July my boyfriend & I were without power for about two days. Fortunately, the weather was awesome so I spent most of the day down at the pool, tanning, reading, listening to music, etc. I found a plug by the maintenance shed that I used to charge my phone if I needed to use that later.

When we came back, we lit a lot of candles, got some tasty food & booze, and convinced some friends to come over to entertain us. :p It was actually a lot of fun. After they left, I read a little more (I have a reading light) and then busted out my old GBC while the BF played guitar. Then we went to bed. :whi:

I confess I missed my computer (and AC--Georgia in July is brutal), but we made the best of it. It almost felt like a camping trip or something of that nature.

EgyptianSoul
02-09-10, 19:21
I just usually go to sleep or read cd/dvd covers and magazines. And of course complain to a friend about the situation via text messages. These blackouts are fixed quite fast so I've never really had to stand too much discomfort and boredom.

But oh it was hell when my hard drive died and I couldn't use my computer for a bloody week while waiting for a new hard drive that I bought from an internet shop.
I couldn't just run to a shop and buy a new one right away, had to compare prices and I wish I wouldn't have done that :p.
I was going mad. Kind of realized how addicted I am to the bloody thing and how empty my life was at that time without it.

It was hell! :vlol:

robm_2007
02-09-10, 21:27
play with your Charlie Browns

A.JJ.G
02-09-10, 21:30
OK, if you're caught in a blackout, I would use either a torch, or a DS/Gameboy for light (I've seen too many slasher movies) and then read a book/write a story. Depends on who you are. I would do the lights thing, and then draw story boards/cartoon characters for Media. But that's just me.