PDA

View Full Version : Hostage situation at Discovery Channel

Dennis's Mom
01-09-10, 21:04
A radical environmentalist who believes the Discovery Channel is not doing enough to save the planet invaded its Maryland headquarters Tuesday and took several hostages.

The suspect, a former Queens resident identified by numerous media outlets as James Jay Lee, had what appeared to be "metallic canisters" strapped to his chest, and cops suspect they might be explosives.

Witnesses and police said Lee was on the phone with hostage negotiators and had forced a dozen people to lay on the floor of the lobby.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/09/01/2010-09-01_reports_of_gunman_shots_fired_at_discovery_chan nel_hq_in_maryland.html#ixzz0yJWKmTX2

He's released a list of demands: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/james-lee-discovery-demands_n_702506.html

To sum up: Babies bad, squirrels good. Oh, and INVENT, DAMN YOU!

Legend of Lara
01-09-10, 21:08
Uh... O_O

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 21:10
Oh so he wants us to stop being human... Haha I wonder if he realises that he's part of the problem. By taking people hostage he's going to redirect more police units and such which will create more pollution :whi:

Mad Tony
01-09-10, 21:13
Sounds like your regular TRFer minus the hostage taking.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 21:17

Oh you just wait, we'll get there someday :mis:

ozzman
01-09-10, 21:18
^ LOL at both of you

he's a nutter and needs to be locked up

Tony9595
01-09-10, 21:20

:vlol: Indeed!

The humans? The planet does not need humans.

Ward Dragon
01-09-10, 21:20
I hope they can talk him down without anybody getting hurt :(

ozzman
01-09-10, 21:26

i hope so too, i never liked it when hearing of a death because some psycho wanted more than he could have , so he kills them and trys to run off [usualy that's how it happens], but they never get away with anything

Mad Tony
01-09-10, 21:29
I hope they can shoot him down without anybody else getting hurt.

trXD
01-09-10, 21:35
It's over now thankfully :)

Clicky (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/09/01/police-shoot-discovery-channel-gunman-in-hostage-drama-115875-22530189/)

Mad Tony
01-09-10, 21:37
It's over now thankfully :)

Clicky (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2010/09/01/police-shoot-discovery-channel-gunman-in-hostage-drama-115875-22530189/)The Mirror? :mad:

snork
01-09-10, 21:38
Of all places out there in danger to be target of such nutters, I would never have thought of DC being one.

just croft
01-09-10, 21:39
Oh you just wait, we'll get there someday :mis:

Why do you think the master pinguin make his personal life such a secret? :vlol:

Wouldn't putting him locked in four walls of concrete be more of a punishment? Just hope he doesn't have an heart attack because of the environment so he can enjoy his sentence in there fully!

snork
01-09-10, 21:54
I am actually expecting (had expected) it to end as Mad Tony suggested.

The guy has expressed how he does not only not care for human lives, he sees them as filth that needs to be eradicated.

And he seems comlpetely crazy AND dumb.

So probably no way to negotiate with him.

Mad Tony
01-09-10, 22:16
I am fully expecting someone to come in here and say that his motives and beliefs were right and that he just didn't go about them the right way.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 22:19
Wouldn't putting him locked in four walls of concrete be more of a punishment? Just hope he doesn't have an heart attack because of the environment so he can enjoy his sentence in there fully!

More punishment for the taxpayers. Bullets are cheaper :o and in this case I don't think there'd be much point in trying to help him psychologically :whi:

ozzman
01-09-10, 22:22
http://www.aolnews.com/crime/article/armed-man-takes-hostages-at-discovery-channel-headquarters/19617623?icid=main%7Chp-desktop%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%7C167858

thank god they got him [i might be late but oh well]

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 22:22

Same :( Somehow I dont see that happening though. The sad thing is this man (although he sounds a bit crazy imo) won't achieve anything by doing this.

EDIT: oh it over? Ah, its still sad :/

lara c. fan
01-09-10, 22:23
I am fully expecting someone to come in here and say that his motives and beliefs were right and that he just didn't go about them the right way.

You know what? His motives and beliefs were right, but he just didn't go about them the right way.

:p

Biddy
01-09-10, 22:25
You know what? His motives and beliefs were right, but he just didn't go about them the right way.

:p

Lol indeed. Heart was in the right place, brain wasn't. :o

Chocola teapot
01-09-10, 22:27
Oh Dear...

trlestew
01-09-10, 22:29
Of all places out there in danger to be target of such nutters, I would never have thought of DC being one.

OH LMAO!!!!

DC is full of crime and psycho's...

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 22:30

I thought that as well :/

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 22:31

Agreed more or less, it's a shame he chose this route to get his ideas across.

Cochrane
01-09-10, 22:37
No, I think his heart was in the wrong place as well.

Personally, I think it is sad that this crazy man was killed instead of getting the psychological help he obviously needed, but since nobody innocent was hurt, I am still willing to call it a relatively good ending.

Super Badnik
01-09-10, 22:40
Wow. Seriously, stopping people from giving birth is pretty much facism. And surprise surprise, global warming is here again. Why won't somebody just tell these nutters man-made global warming is a myth. As for the captalism, well I guess I'm all for asking questions on that, but this guy dosen't seem to know what the hell he's on. He seems to want to erradicate human existance on earth.

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 22:50
Wow. Seriously, stopping people from giving birth is pretty much facism. And surprise surprise, global warming is here again. Why won't somebody just tell these nutters man-made global warming is a myth. As for the captalism, well I guess I'm all for asking questions on that, but this guy dosen't seem to know what the hell he's on. He seems to want to erradicate human existance on earth.

That makes him sound like Albert Wesker from Resident Evil :vlol:

"You're merely postphoning the inevitable" :vlol:

innocentvenus
01-09-10, 22:52
I think he wanted to stop these people from having children to keep their shows. Kate Plus 8, 20 Kids and Counting, Quint Surprise (I think) just to have a show.

There are too many humans on the planet and men didn't create Global Warning. They have accelerated it though.

Mad Tony
01-09-10, 22:58
The guy is clearly a nutjob.

]{eith
01-09-10, 22:59
You've got to be ****ting me.

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 22:59
That makes him sound like Albert Wesker from Resident Evil :vlol:

"You're merely postphoning the inevitable" :vlol:

omg after I read the article on MSN that's what I thought too :vlol:

I think he had a couple good ideas, but he was wayyy too extreme and he reinforces why nobody should have to sit through "An Inconvenient Truth" :p

xXhayleyroxXx
01-09-10, 23:03
omg after I read the article on MSN that's what I thought too :vlol:

I think he had a couple good ideas, but he was wayyy too extreme and he reinforces why nobody should have to sit through "An Inconvenient Truth" :p

Yeah definately . And lol I keep imagining he's Wesker now :vlol: Arghhh what was that quote... something about the winnowing of the human race :vlol:

Smog
01-09-10, 23:04
I don't think my mind is able to physically comprehend how little sense this makes on just about every level.

Dennis's Mom
01-09-10, 23:08
As I was reading his demands, all I could think of was the old Steve Martin bit from his stand-up days:

I feel good tonight. I finally got something I always wanted and that's important. It really is. I finally got some hostages. Well, you see so many people with hostages nowadays and you say "Hey, I'd like some, too!". So I've got three of 'em, they're really nice people. We get along great, they're tied in a sack outside at the top of the flagpole. And I'm gonna blow 'em up at midnight, too. Unless, of course, I get my three demands. A hundred thousand in cash, getaway car and I want the letter M stricken from the English language. See, you have to make one crazy demand, that way, if you get caught, you can plead insanity. Ha. Getaway car.:rolleyes:

just croft
01-09-10, 23:16
More punishment for the taxpayers. Bullets are cheaper :o and in this case I don't think there'd be much point in trying to help him psychologically :whi:

Prison isn't help... Death Penalty is. :rolleyes:

Alpharaider47
01-09-10, 23:24
Prison isn't help... Death Penalty is. :rolleyes:

I'm just saying due to the nature of his demands and such, I doubt there's much else that could've been done for him. He'd probably end up in a cell for the rest of his life. And what if he didn't want help? This way he died for his cause, at least in his eyes his death probably had meaning, and we're all saved the costs of keeping him alive and in prison :o

larafan25
01-09-10, 23:34
What a lazy *******, why doesn;t he just do all that stuff himself, my god.

Hmmm.....I hope nobody gets hurt.

Capt. Murphy
01-09-10, 23:47
Where's a sniper when you need one?

Edit: Oh... :o

He is dead.

Come on people. Make some more babies (anyway) in his honor! :tmb:

Sir Croft
01-09-10, 23:53
And since when is Discovery Channel's job to protect the planet? Just because their main subject is nature doesn't mean they have to work to save the planet. :rolleyes:

silver_wolf
02-09-10, 00:21
I wish it was Wesker :(...

ozzman
02-09-10, 01:01
I wish it was Wesker :(...

in the words of Wesker
"Has it Ever Occured to you That This Planet is Over Populated"

or

"Every Second the Human Race Comes One Step Closer to Self Destruction, I'm not Destroying the World , I'm Saving It"

:vlol: i bet he played to Much RE5 before doing this

Legend of Lara
02-09-10, 01:07
There must have been a more elegant way of solving this.

Like punching a boulder.

Tommy123
02-09-10, 03:55
i saw this on the news when i got home from school

i was like "wtf"

IceColdLaraCroft
02-09-10, 04:04
someone needs to do something similar to MTV and force them to show actual MUSIC VIDEOS. Seriously you can't host the "video music awards" if you don't show music videos anymore.

robm_2007
02-09-10, 04:11
This man----------------is a GENIOUS!!! OMG! why did you ppl kill him? why, oh, why? :(

the world will be a lesser place, doomed to succumb to the virtuous oppression and self-sabotagery of the feeble humans due to this great knight's assassination.

the only reason he would think this way, is if he was-------------------an Alien!!!! dun-dun-duuuunnnnnn.......

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 04:56
There must have been a more elegant way of solving this.

Like punching a boulder.

Then the hostages could have jumped across lava and gotten away...

Draco
02-09-10, 13:38
He does have at least one valid point, the human race is overpopulating the planet.

Liara
02-09-10, 13:48
Hmm, the guy actually has some good points like the world being rotten and most of us treating nature like scum. Not to mention too many people having babies. But that's no reason to take it on the Discovery Channel. If anything, they're the ones who broadcast green programs and all that.

I'm surprised the crazy guy didn't ask for a helicopter and some donuts in his demands, since he asked for pretty much everything else.

interstellardave
02-09-10, 14:25
He does have at least one valid point, the human race is overpopulating the planet.

The planet will take care of that.

Zebra
02-09-10, 14:36
Why won't somebody just tell these nutters man-made global warming is a myth.

Even if it was, humans also pollute the environment and directly and indirectly exterminate countless species of animals, plants, etc. I don't think humans should be exterminated in turn, simply because I'm a normal living being and have a strong will to survive. But if you saw it extremely pragmatically, it would be the best solution. Doesn't mean I agree with this guy, of course (TBH, I haven't even gotten around to reading all of his demands). To me it seems like he wasn't right in the head.

Ward Dragon
02-09-10, 14:47
I don't think humans should be exterminated in turn, simply because I'm a normal living being and have a strong will to survive. But if you saw it extremely pragmatically, it would be the best solution.

I would think that looking at it extremely pragmatically, someone would think that it doesn't matter whether other species go extinct as long as it serves the human race in some way. After all, the planet can't think or feel anything, so why should the good of the planet come ahead of the good of thinking feeling human beings? So pragmatic is definitely not the word I'd choose to describe this hostage taker since his views are the exact opposite in my opinion :o But really, it's a miracle that this is the first time something like this has happened (that's been reported at least) considering how much indoctrination there is in the public schools about how evil humanity is and we're killing the planet and all of that.

I went through an education program to become a high school teacher and I cringed every time my fellow would-be science teachers were encouraged to use sources like Al Gore or Whitley Strieber for lessons on the environment. I mean seriously, that's the hypocrite who flies a jet to conferences complaining about us peasants' right to own cars, and the other is the guy who wrote several books about how the aliens abducted him and conducted all sorts of probes on him. These are absolutely NOT valid scientific sources, and to present this material to impressionable children as fact is simply unconscionable.

Edit: And I'm really not kidding about that last part. I've seen teachers use movies like The Core or Day After Tomorrow to "teach" students what will supposedly happen if the environmentalist lobby doesn't get its way with crap like "Cap and Trade" (which is just a money-making scheme and doesn't help the environment at all as far as I can see). And another time, the class went on a field trip to some environmentalist workshop and the speaker gave some lecture about global warming. One of the students said something to the effect of, "What are you talking about? I'm freezing my ass off!" and she immediately backed off of calling it global warming and just replaced that phrase with "climate change" and kept on going with the spiel XD

Super Badnik
02-09-10, 15:03
The planet will take care of that.Probably.

Even if it was, humans also pollute the environment and directly and indirectly exterminate countless species of animals, plants, etc. I don't think humans should be exterminated in turn, simply because I'm a normal living being and have a strong will to survive. But if you saw it extremely pragmatically, it would be the best solution. Doesn't mean I agree with this guy, of course (TBH, I haven't even gotten around to reading all of his demands). To me it seems like he wasn't right in the head.The man-made global warming theory (which is almost definitley not true) does have an unnecessary impact on how we are made to live though. Of course, some things do actually have real effects on the environment, but ordinary people are being made to feel shame and guilt for simply driving a car.

Ward Dragon
02-09-10, 15:10
The man-made global warming theory (which is almost definitley not true) does have an unnecessary impact on how we are made to live though. Of course, some things do actually have real effects on the environment, but ordinary people are being made to feel shame and guilt for simply driving a car.

Exactly. I mean, it's common sense to avoid polluting as much as possible. We don't need to be beat over the head with global warming and the apocalypse to realize that :p And all of these fear tactics end up getting a lot of stuff passed in the name of saving the environment which doesn't seem to help the environment at all and really hurts the economy overall.

For example, diluting gasoline with ethanol made from corn. That messes up cars that weren't designed to handle ethanol, and people just have to use more gas overall because ethanol doesn't have as much energy per volume as gasoline does (therefore people get worse mileage with ethanol-diluted gas as opposed to pure gas). So it's not really reducing the pollution the cars make. However it is using up the corn supply, which makes everything based upon corn more expensive, namely the vast majority of food products in the US. So I've got to buy more gasoline overall to make up for the ethanol dilution, and then all of my food is more expensive too because there's less corn available for making food, and the whole scheme doesn't even really help the environment in the first place so what's the point?

Avalon SARL
02-09-10, 17:03

OMG :vlol:
:tmb: I go with the second idea :p

Draco
02-09-10, 19:02
The planet will take care of that.

I suspect it won't until it is way too late.

Chocola teapot
02-09-10, 19:06
I suspect it won't until it is way too late.

Too Late?

Anything we can do to the Earth, An Asteroid could do better... :p

And the Earth has gotten over plenty of those.

cbragg09
02-09-10, 19:08
Fairy Godmother, where are you now?!!?

Draco
02-09-10, 19:10
Too Late?

Anything we can do to the Earth, An Asteroid could do better... :p

And the Earth has gotten over plenty of those.

Humanity has no perspective. Half of us don't care and the other half thinks doing what needs to be done is too barbaric to consider.

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 19:21
Humanity has no perspective. Half of us don't care and the other half thinks doing what needs to be done is too barbaric to consider.

Very true

Chocola teapot
02-09-10, 19:27

What I meant was, What do you mean by too late?

" The planet will take care of that. "

" I suspect it won't until it is way too late. "

Way too late for the Earth?

The Earth has suffered Terrible things in the past... and got over it.

There's nothing we can do to trump an Asteroid for example.

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 19:34

I think he meant the Earth as we know it. Yeah life will find a way and such, but we can totally destroy it terms of how we know it now.

Zebra
02-09-10, 19:45
I would think that looking at it extremely pragmatically, someone would think that it doesn't matter whether other species go extinct as long as it serves the human race in some way. After all, the planet can't think or feel anything, so why should the good of the planet come ahead of the good of thinking feeling human beings?

That, of course, depends on personal opinion. I simply think why sacrifice such a diversity of life for one single species? You might say that humans are special and better than other animals but, honestly, every species is special and humans are no more special than the rest.

So pragmatic is definitely not the word I'd choose to describe this hostage taker since his views are the exact opposite in my opinion :o But really, it's a miracle that this is the first time something like this has happened (that's been reported at least) considering how much indoctrination there is in the public schools about how evil humanity is and we're killing the planet and all of that.

Like I said, I do not agree with this man and I was not trying to explain or even excuse his actions in my post. All I did was state my view on the whole human/environment issue. I think on the one hand, the planet is kind of killing itself, I mean, where did we come from? We're a product of the evolution. But if the world goes down, we'll be going down with it. It's like an ecosystem. Nah, it IS an ecosystem. Just a rather weird one. I mean, at first nobody is going to notice or care about it but the more species die out, the more we are going to notice and the more consequences there will be.

I went through an education program to become a high school teacher and I cringed every time my fellow would-be science teachers were encouraged to use sources like Al Gore or Whitley Strieber for lessons on the environment. I mean seriously, that's the hypocrite who flies a jet to conferences complaining about us peasants' right to own cars, and the other is the guy who wrote several books about how the aliens abducted him and conducted all sorts of probes on him. These are absolutely NOT valid scientific sources, and to present this material to impressionable children as fact is simply unconscionable.

Now this I agree with. Everyone should be able to forge their own opinion and all teachers should do is teach them knowledge and facts, not opinions. I mean, of course it is sometimes helpful to present the students with opinions of different people or maybe also their own but they should present them as just that. Opinions of other people that don't have to have anything to do with the students' opinions.

Edit: And I'm really not kidding about that last part. I've seen teachers use movies like The Core or Day After Tomorrow to "teach" students what will supposedly happen if the environmentalist lobby doesn't get its way with crap like "Cap and Trade" (which is just a money-making scheme and doesn't help the environment at all as far as I can see). And another time, the class went on a field trip to some environmentalist workshop and the speaker gave some lecture about global warming. One of the students said something to the effect of, "What are you talking about? I'm freezing my ass off!" and she immediately backed off of calling it global warming and just replaced that phrase with "climate change" and kept on going with the spiel XD

I don't get why she didn't simply explain what global warming really means and kept calling it that. Because that student certainly didn't know what it means if he said stuff like that.

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 19:46
the other half thinks doing what needs to be done is too barbaric to consider.What needs to be done?

Cochrane
02-09-10, 20:11
What needs to be done?

If my guess is correct, Draco will once again argue for the mandatory sterilization of absolutely everybody, with reproduction privileges granted only to those the government deems worthy. You know, freedom and justice for all.

Draco
02-09-10, 20:20

We as a race are not the type of let something happen to us without making sure nobody else can have anything either. War for one.

The Earth may survive us. We may not survive the Earth.

We do have options in dealing with asteroids, but that isn't what will end us most likely.

I think he meant the Earth as we know it. Yeah life will find a way and such, but we can totally destroy it terms of how we know it now.

Something like that, and even if we did start over, we would probably just repeat history.

What needs to be done?

For one thing, do something to control population growth, other than genocide. Another would be to take back control of the food supply and increase its redundancy again. As of right now, one of the food companies stopping supply would cause a global famine in a matter of months. The vacuum from the demand would not be met with the surpluses of production. Human nature would do the rest.

Draco
02-09-10, 20:27
If my guess is correct, Draco will once again argue for the mandatory sterilization of absolutely everybody, with reproduction privileges granted only to those the government deems worthy. You know, freedom and justice for all.

Well, there was never a decision to be made by the government about that in any plan I had. You simply paid the fee and you could spit out charity cases as fast as you could have them.

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:32
For one thing, do something to control population growth, other than genocide. Another would be to take back control of the food supply and increase its redundancy again. As of right now, one of the food companies stopping supply would cause a global famine in a matter of months. The vacuum from the demand would not be met with the surpluses of production. Human nature would do the rest.So you think we should cause a famine?

Draco
02-09-10, 20:33
Are you trying to be dense or is it just naturally occurring?

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:36
Are you trying to be dense or is it just naturally occurring?What exactly do you want to see happen?

You see the thing is, knowing you, it wouldn't surprise me if you wanted a massive famine.

Draco
02-09-10, 20:38
So you can't read. That explains a lot of things.

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:44
So you can't read. That explains a lot of things.Just explaint it. Unfortunately I'm not up on my food supply knowledge.

Draco
02-09-10, 20:46
Maybe if someone else asks, you will just call it a conspiracy theory...

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:48
Maybe if someone else asks, you will just call it a conspiracy theory...What? :confused:

Cochrane
02-09-10, 20:49
Well, there was never a decision to be made by the government about that in any plan I had. You simply paid the fee and you could spit out charity cases as fast as you could have them.

Ah, then I misremembered. Sorry about that!

I still think population control like you propose is the wrong way to go about things, though. Earth can sustain quite a lot more people than are living currently here, just not at the same standard of living. And the population growth in developing countries, which is really the biggest problem, will most likely stop automatically as soon as those reach industrialized levels of living, when people donít have to rely on children as old age support.

Changes to food production, however, are a great idea. The way it is currently going is madness.

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 20:51
Well since we're on the topic of food and stuff, is anybody keeping up on what's going on in Mozambique?

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:59
Well since we're on the topic of food and stuff, is anybody keeping up on what's going on in Mozambique?No, what's going on?

Alpharaider47
02-09-10, 21:01
No, what's going on?

Well from the article I read it seems like they're protesting rising food costs and such and it's starting to get violent. I thought it was kind of related, was wondering if anybody else had read about it.

I know it's Africa, violence isn't uncommon, but still... :p

Draco
02-09-10, 21:02
Riots over the price of bread and water.

Ward Dragon
03-09-10, 17:18
That, of course, depends on personal opinion. I simply think why sacrifice such a diversity of life for one single species? You might say that humans are special and better than other animals but, honestly, every species is special and humans are no more special than the rest.

I was just reacting to "pragmatic" which I took to mean concerned only with what will practically benefit oneself, which clearly this guy did not do XD I agree it's stupid to kill off other species because there are almost always going to be unexpected consequences.

Now this I agree with. Everyone should be able to forge their own opinion and all teachers should do is teach them knowledge and facts, not opinions. I mean, of course it is sometimes helpful to present the students with opinions of different people or maybe also their own but they should present them as just that. Opinions of other people that don't have to have anything to do with the students' opinions.

Yeah, exactly. Students should be presented with the actual facts and then decide for themselves if they believe whatever conclusions the politicians have jumped to based upon those facts.

I don't get why she didn't simply explain what global warming really means and kept calling it that. Because that student certainly didn't know what it means if he said stuff like that.

To put the student's statement in context, the past year it's been unusually cold here compared to previous years. I guess the speaker didn't think she'd convince anybody to ignore that, so she probably thought that changing the vocabulary to something more neutral would better serve her cause.