PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Earl headed to the US East Coast.

lara c. fan
02-09-10, 20:14
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11154296

This doesn't bode well...

I, Tomb Raider
02-09-10, 20:16
Yeah, so I've head. :eek:
Hope everything turns out okay.

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:19
Should be fine. Most of these hurricanes don't cause too much damage from what I've read, although there's always a chance. Better safe than sorry.

Inb4 someone comes in and says the world is going to end and that everything's going mad despite the fact that hurricanes happen every year.

IceColdLaraCroft
02-09-10, 20:25
Should be fine. Most of these hurricanes don't cause too much damage from what I've read, although there's always a chance. Better safe than sorry.

Inb4 someone comes in and says the world is going to end and that everything's going mad despite the fact that hurricanes happen every year.

You've obviously never been in one.

I live in Virginia Beach. Which is right above North Carolina (where they've evacuated 30,000 people).

They cause massive damage and this is a category 4 (out of 5). It's nothing to thumb your nose at.

Plus there are three other systems in the Atlantic.

Fiona & Gaston :vlol:

Are they sponsored by Disney!?

Legend of Lara
02-09-10, 20:25
THE WORLD IS ENDING ALL THESE DISASTERS AND HURRICANES ARE A SIGN JESUS IS RETURNING RELIGION RELIGION CULTS MAYANS 2012 :eek:

Mad Tony
02-09-10, 20:28
You've obviously never been in one.

I live in Virginia Beach. Which is right above North Carolina (where they've evacuated 30,000 people).

They cause massive damage and this is a category 4 (out of 5). It's nothing to thumb your nose at.

Plus there are three other systems in the Atlantic.

Fiona & Gaston :vlol:

Are they sponsored by Disney!?I never denied that they cause damage. I know they cause damage, but most don't cause massive damage like Katrina.

Tony9595
02-09-10, 20:30
THE WORLD IS ENDING ALL THESE DISASTERS AND HURRICANES ARE A SIGN JESUS IS RETURNING RELIGION RELIGION CULTS MAYANS 2012 :eek:

:vlol:

I've been in a hurricane and it's certainly horrible the way it sounds like :/

Avalon SARL
02-09-10, 20:30
that doesnt look well
Hope it turns to be alright :(

Draco
02-09-10, 20:32
I always miss them :(

peeves
02-09-10, 20:33
I Live in NY state the us east coast. I hope everything turns out ok for me.

Tombraiderx08
02-09-10, 20:33
Eh, lil ol Ohio ought to be fine, lol.

peeves
02-09-10, 20:36
I Don't think I'll get the hurricane in my location. It only heads for the coasts.

IceColdLaraCroft
02-09-10, 20:37
I never denied that they cause damage. I know they cause damage, but most don't cause massive damage like Katrina.

You're right. Most aren't like Katrina. The East Coast was basically formed by storms. Stupid rich people build their homes RIGHT ON the beach, but beaches are dynamic and change. A year or so ago a storm washed away a bridge and island in NC, but created another one.

People (not you) forget that we're these tiny little beings on this giant planet and don't stop to think before they consider where they build.

Draco
02-09-10, 20:42
Katrina wasn't even that bad as far as hurricanes go, Andrew caused a lot more direct damage. Katrina just hit some badly maintained dikes.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-09-10, 20:56
I never denied that they cause damage. I know they cause damage, but most don't cause massive damage like Katrina.

Hurricane Ike (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Ike) caused $38 billion worth of damage. I sat through it, while my building shook & quivered... We were without power for 8 days, some lost it for as much as 3 weeks. THIS particular hurricane is a joke, it's only going to brush the coastline at worst, but this is a natural phenomena that needs to be respected, heavily. Here's some of Ike's handywork:

Before:
http://conservationreport.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/bolivar-peninsula-tx_hurricane-ike5.jpg?w=604&h=840

Katrina wasn't even that bad as far as hurricanes go, Andrew caused a lot more direct damage. Katrina just hit some badly maintained dikes.

Hurricane Katrina of the 2005 Atlantic hurricane season was the costliest natural disaster, as well as one of the five deadliest hurricanes, in the history of the United States.

Draco
02-09-10, 21:05
That is based on the total damage and cost from the secondary effects of the flooding in addition to what the actual hurricane did.

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-09-10, 21:11
That is based on the total damage and cost from the secondary effects of the flooding in addition to what the actual hurricane did.

Even if you ignored secondary effects, Andrew's total was still less than half of what Katrina did (and that includes adjusting Andrews damage for 2010 dollars). It seems unlikely that Katrina's secondary damage amounted to $40 billion.

Draco
02-09-10, 21:18
Drowning New Orleans couldn't cost $40 BN?

Sgt BOMBULOUS
02-09-10, 21:33
Drowning New Orleans couldn't cost $40 BN?

I thought secondary damage was mainly attributed to storm surge in areas that the hurricane didn't directly impact? About.com seems to think that the flooding was 1/2 of the total damage, so in that regard I guess they'd be the same.

GameGlitcher77
04-09-10, 06:13
I already knew this but it would explain why it was so windy when I drove home tonight :pi:

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 06:23
I don't think this particular hurricane will be too bad, it sounds like they've evacuated a couple holiday islands, nothing overly major. Although a big :hug: for anyone who has to sit through it, they can be really scary!

I've been in a couple cyclones, but both times I was in a highrise and the city only experienced minor flooding-related issues and power cuts.

Squibbly
04-09-10, 10:26
Hitting the east coast of Canada, too.

Hopefully all is well with my family! Earl was downgraded to a category 1, so I only think they'll have to deal with heavy rain and high wind. Nothing serious.

On our news here, they were saying it was going to hit the US and Canadian east coast, but the American stations only say their coast. Sheesh, thanks a lot, guys! :p

On a totally unrelated note: my dad's name is Earl. :D