PDA

View Full Version : Another oil rig blew up

Solice
03-09-10, 04:27
OK, I think it's time for me to put on my tin foil conspiracy hat.

Story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_gulf_rig_explosion)

A basic time line...

The President announces he will expand oil exploration in the Gulf.

An oil rig blew up a week or two later.

The President puts a moratorium on drilling shortly after.

The government begins to consider lifting the moratorium.

Another rig blows up.

These rigs very rarely blow up. Now we had two in quick succession after the President considers expanding drilling. I don't mean to imply Prez O is involved. Perhaps eco terrorists are behind it. What do you think?

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 04:39
If I remember reading right this was only a fire on the rig near the crew quarters or something like that, and it was in shallow water. I don't think any oil even leaked.
Interesting point though. All I can really say is- have fun blaming BP this time :p Kind of reinforces an idea of mine that perhaps it's not just the companies at fault, but perhaps the US should be focusing on it's regulators, etc :whi:

LaraLuvrrr
03-09-10, 04:59
I already thought there was a conspiracy before this happened. The reason being noone knew what caused the BP explosion. Then a month or so after there's the biggest oil leak in China's history right after the biggest in U.S. history. And then recently they also found an oil tanker with a giant dent on the side and noone knew if an explosion caused it or a ship ramming into it caused it.

Fishhyyy

CiaKonwerski
03-09-10, 05:58
Coincidence? I think not.

scoopy_loopy
03-09-10, 06:08
Meh. It happens. There was no catastrophic spill, I just hope no one was injured.

There was a spill in the harbour of my city just recently actually, but it was blocked off instantly and it's been cleaned.

Until we have viable alternatives -- there's nothing we can but continue to use fossil fuels. There are risks involved, but I'd rather have electricity in my nation than not.

Cochrane
03-09-10, 08:05
Coincidence? Of course not. The world needs more oil, so companies drill more and more. Obviously the rate of accidents will increase.

You should, however, consider one thing: News reporting about this new incident would be nowhere near as big if it hadnít been for Deepwater Horizon previously. The events are unrelated, other than that companies want to drill and spend less for that than necessary, but the reporting is related.

EscondeR
03-09-10, 08:11
^ This. Cheap sensation attempt.

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 08:24
Coincidence? Of course not. The world needs more oil, so companies drill more and more. Obviously the rate of accidents will increase.

You should, however, consider one thing: News reporting about this new incident would be nowhere near as big if it hadnít been for Deepwater Horizon previously. The events are unrelated, other than that companies want to drill and spend less for that than necessary, but the reporting is related.

Agreed

Dennis's Mom
03-09-10, 12:10
News reporting about this new incident would be nowhere near as big if it hadnít been for Deepwater Horizon previously. The events are unrelated, other than that companies want to drill and spend less for that than necessary, but the reporting is related.

Absolutely. This would probably have made local news, but not national.

I'll confess to entertaining conspiracy theories about Deepwater Horizon. Those BOPs rarely fail, and they know this one was modified. But in the end, access to BOP and rig is so limited, I find it hard to believe "eco-terrorists" could have done it.