PDA

View Full Version : Sick Whale Euthanized With Explosives

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 06:00
I'll go ahead and quote the whole article-

PERTH, Australia — A terminally sick humpback whale that became stranded on a beach in Western Australia two weeks ago was euthanized Thursday with an explosive charge.

After attempts to return the juvenile whale to the sea failed, the state Department of Environment and Conservation had intended to let the 31-foot (9.5-meter) creature die naturally. The whale was stranded on a beach in Albany, about 240 miles (390 kilometers) southwest of Perth, the state capital.

But the department's district manager, Mike Shepherd, said in a statement that the whale moved into a position on a sandbar in which it could be stabilized and euthanized.

Explosives were used because officials believed the whale was too large to shoot. The International Whaling Commission recommends the use of explosives to euthanize beached whales longer than 26 feet (eight meters).
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38968296/ns/us_news-environment/

It's certainly not something you hear about everyday :o I guess I'm not really opposed to the idea, seeing as it was terminally ill and I'd imagine it was a quick and painless death.

What are your thoughts on this?

CiaKonwerski
03-09-10, 06:04
It sounds painful compared to getting shot. Does this explosive just go off inside the whale? In that case, it sounds as if it would really hurt. Or is it like an injection, the whole painless process etc. Either way, I guess it sounds better than just shooting it.

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 06:06
It sounds painful compared to getting shot. Does this explosive just go off inside the whale? In that case, it sounds as if it would really hurt. Or is it like an injection, the whole painless process etc. Either way, I guess it sounds better than just shooting it.

I think they probably just set explosives next to the whale and detonated them, but I don't really know :o I mean I'd imagine if the explosion went off next to it's head that'd take it out instantly...

scoopy_loopy
03-09-10, 06:06
My thoughts are simple: The whale was dying, there was no way to save it - it left the world in no pain.

It just sucks it got beached in the first place :(

drakl0r
03-09-10, 06:10
Well it's better than just leaving it there to die slowly...

AmericanAssassin
03-09-10, 06:11
I suppose it was necessary, but it's still very sad. :(

Lara's Nemesis
03-09-10, 06:42
Shame it had to come to that, whales are such incredible creatures. At least they ended it's suffering quickly.

igonge
03-09-10, 08:31
Awww. Poor whale, better than dying slowly and painfully.

xXhayleyroxXx
03-09-10, 09:03
I suppose it was necessary, but it's still very sad. :(

This :( The poor darlin'

Ada the Mental
03-09-10, 12:01
They did the same thing to a beached sperm whale in the 70s. There was simply no other way they could dispose of the body. That one was already dead, though.

Dennis's Mom
03-09-10, 12:05
It sounds horrible, but it was probably better than letting it slowly die.

larson n natla
03-09-10, 12:11
You have to wonder why they didn't just administrate some poison into the whale. That would have been far less painful and damaging to the environment.

scoopy_loopy
03-09-10, 13:13
You have to wonder why they didn't just administrate some poison into the whale. That would have been far less painful and damaging to the environment.

That would require A LOT of poison. Also, it's a beach! Blowing a hole in the sand is no biggie :p You won't even notice in a week.

Lukass
03-09-10, 14:17
poor sweetheart :(

But better then leave it die slowly like someone said before..

2kool4u
03-09-10, 14:30
Sushi for everyone~

Draco
03-09-10, 14:30
Oh, so its okay to help a whale die, but not humans. No, humans must die in agony and torture. **** the whale.

Rai
03-09-10, 14:35
I suppose it was for the best, still very sad though.

larson n natla
03-09-10, 14:38
That would require A LOT of poison. Also, it's a beach! Blowing a hole in the sand is no biggie :p You won't even notice in a week.

Not to much more, I mean jeez all it takes in an injection into the bloodstream and then it could die peacefully not to blow it's guts across a beach.

Oh, so its okay to help a whale die, but not humans. No, humans must die in agony and torture. **** the whale.

There would be to many implications for humans, for example Mr A goes to a wealthy pensioner and has them sign their will over to Mr A. He then kills said wealthy penisoner. The verdict is overdose, Mr A is the prime suspect. Mr A says he was helping the wealthy pensioner to die.

Then it all goes confusing

Chocola teapot
03-09-10, 14:47
Aww.

Must have been an awful sight. :(

Draco
03-09-10, 15:13
There would be to many implications for humans, for example Mr A goes to a wealthy pensioner and has them sign their will over to Mr A. He then kills said wealthy penisoner. The verdict is overdose, Mr A is the prime suspect. Mr A says he was helping the wealthy pensioner to die.

Then it all goes confusing

So as usual, one idiot ruins it for everyone else?

larson n natla
03-09-10, 15:31
So as usual, one idiot ruins it for everyone else?

Pretty much, I personally think it would be to much heartache I couldn't help somebody in that position.

ozzman
03-09-10, 15:48
atleast they didn't try to put it in a trash bin :vlol: but it sucks that an animal had to die this way, glad it was painless

Lara Croft!
03-09-10, 17:16
Whales are pretty big fellows, so simply shooting them to end the pain is not an option. An explosive would go off in seconds, so the whale wouldn't have time to experience pain. So, it was for the better imo.

voltz
03-09-10, 20:41
I remember a whale that exploded near a shopping dist once, that was obviously one hell of a mess to clean.

Smog
03-09-10, 21:05
If I ever decide to commit suicide, this is how I shall do it.

Sushi for everyone~

I'm gonna be That Guy and point out that a whale is not a fish. :pi:

DgoOdz94
03-09-10, 21:10
POOR WHALE!!!!!

But I do suppose it was quick and painless for the whale. Better than staying there just dying slowly. :rolleyes:

xXhayleyroxXx
03-09-10, 21:13
I remember a whale that exploded near a shopping dist once, that was obviously one hell of a mess to clean.

I remember hearing about that... it was the gas pressure inside it which did that :/

Love2Raid
03-09-10, 22:34
Explosives? Sounds rather messy...

Come live in the Netherlands. ;)

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 22:36
I remember hearing about that... it was the gas pressure inside it which did that :/

That was in Japan was it not?

xXhayleyroxXx
03-09-10, 22:39
That was in Japan was it not?

i cant remember :/ i just remember the city part and the gas pressure.

Alpharaider47
03-09-10, 22:44
i cant remember :/ i just remember the city part and the gas pressure.

I remember watching a show about it on Discovery or something... I just remember their reenactments of the explosion really tbh :o Quite the mess

Tombraiderx08
04-09-10, 01:21
When I get old and sickly, instead of people pulling the plug, they can bomb me :)
Outrageous! That is just, i have no words :mad: poor fella :(

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 05:13
When I get old and sickly, instead of people pulling the plug, they can bomb me :)
Outrageous! That is just, i have no words :mad: poor fella :(

Dude, it's a whale. How would you deal with the problem? Leave it to slowly and painful dry up, and starve?

voltz
04-09-10, 08:10
Things to bring to a beached whale party.

1. Camera
2. Beer
3. Lawn chairs
4. Umbrella

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 08:30
Things to bring to a beached whale party.

1. Camera
2. Beer
3. Lawn chairs
4. Umbrella

:vlol:

Emphasis on number 4!!

sandygrimm
04-09-10, 09:33
Why not just cut it up for food for the chinese/coreans, or whoever likes to hunt them?:p

michaeldt
04-09-10, 09:36
I heard about this on the news, I live close to where it got euthanized but I didn't see it

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 09:48
Why not just cut it up for food for the chinese/coreans, or whoever likes to hunt them?:p

I know you're joking, but even just thinking about the political drama that would cause sets my head spinning! Things are not well between Japan and Australia on the whaling issue at the moment :cln:

xXhayleyroxXx
04-09-10, 09:51
I know you're joking, but even just thinking about the political drama that would cause sets my head spinning! Things are not well between Japan and Australia on the whaling issue at the moment :cln:

are things right between japan and anyone on the whaling issue? :p Have you seen 'The Cove' documentary? Its disgusting. And its not like they have no food...

knightgames
06-09-10, 13:39
1_t44siFyb4

Oh sure it starts out all nice and innocent enough.... but then the ooooohing and ahhhing give way to screams of terror and confusion.

lunavixen
06-09-10, 14:25
this may seem a little gruesome, but they actually try to place the explosives as near the brain avity as possible, because whales have such thick bones, a sufficiient charge is needed to shatter the bone and cause brain death, it's better than the whale starving

Shirley_Manson
06-09-10, 19:10
I think this definitely wasn't painless to the whale.
Although I'm not against euthanasia, this seems so barbaric.
Couldn't they inject big amount of some strong poison that would make it go to sleep and die.

lunavixen
07-09-10, 09:51
no, believe it or not, explosives are the most effective method, poison wouldn't work really, it'd be too hard to inject the posion because of the thickness of their hides and any and all of their body fat, that'd be a bloody big needle