PDA

View Full Version : Magnitude 7.0 Earthquake hits Christchurch

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 08:46
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2010/09/04/1225914/076098-christchurch-earthquake.jpg
RESIDENTS have been asked not to flush their toilets as authorities work to restore electricity, water and sewerage in Christchurch after an earthquake early this morning.
The 7.0-magnitude quake rocked New Zealand's South Island for up to a minute about 4.30am.
It caused widespread damage and two men have suffered serious injuries, but there have been no reports of deaths.
Police have cordoned off streets in the city's central business district until at least tomorrow after reports of looting, stuff.co.nz reported.
Earthquake Commission chief executive Ian Simpson said the damage bill in the city of 372,600 residents could be as high as $NZ2 billion (AU$1.6 billion).
Buildings were flattened and infrastructure damaged in the quake, which was followed by a series of aftershocks. An official state of emergency was declared by government authorities.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/strong-earthquake-leaves-nz-trembling/story-e6frfkyi-1225914069084#ixzz0yY4mIMQZ

Crazy! I'm so pleased no one was killed - but imagine if this had occured during peak our? :yik: :( Poor Kiwis! Hopefully Australia will give any assistance it can, should you require any. :hug:

MyRaider4Life
04-09-10, 08:52
Seems today has been a day for bad weather.

I hope people are okay over in NZ and it is good to hear that no one has died.

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 08:54
Seems today has been a day for bad weather.

I just saw a report on the crazy weather in Victoria at the moment, I think you're right :o

michaeldt
04-09-10, 09:29
atleast no-one died, but jesus, 7/10 on the richter scale! :yik:

Little-Lara
04-09-10, 09:39
Dang, that was a big one. :eek: 7 sounds alarming, hopefully the scientists will be able to find some solid reason about if this can happen again.

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 09:43
Dang, that was a big one. :eek: 7 sounds alarming, hopefully the scientists will be able to find some solid reason about if this can happen again.

It can and will :( NZ sit above a lot of tectonic activity. Hence their excessive amounts of mountains and volcanic hotsprings.

Squibbly
04-09-10, 11:22
Oh wow. I hope the death toll stays at zero.

I love NZ... beautiful country, lovely people. I hope everything works out for all affected by this!

Draco
04-09-10, 14:08
Seems today has been a day for bad weather..

It... was an earthquake.

MyRaider4Life
04-09-10, 14:19
It... was an earthquake.

:vlol: I seriously ****ed myself when I saw this! Thank you for that! <3

Rai
04-09-10, 15:11
Wow, that's one big earthquake and a lot of damage. Glad there aren't any deaths. I hope it stays that they get the help they need to fix things up.

On a side note, the thread title should be clear the topic is about Christchurch New Zealand, 'cause I was like 'wha? When..did I really sleep through an earthquake?' :o :p

lararoxs
04-09-10, 15:24
I have relatives in Christchurch, as far as I can tell they're all fine - Still scary though!

scoopy_loopy
04-09-10, 15:46
Wow, that's one big earthquake and a lot of damage. Glad there aren't any deaths. I hope it stays that they get the help they need to fix things up.

On a side note, the thread title should be clear the topic is about Christchurch New Zealand, 'cause I was like 'wha? When..did I really sleep through an earthquake?' :o :p

I didn't even know there was a Christchurch in the UK. :o

I have relatives in Christchurch, as far as I can tell they're all fine - Still scary though!

I hope they're fine as well.