PDA

View Full Version : Do you give to charity?

illuminati30
05-09-10, 14:46
I watched this program recently, Zimbabwe's Forgotten Children (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r5ww9).

The film tells the story of an twelve year old girl, her mother died of aids, her sixteen year old sister lives on the streets, she has a baby sister to look after, her uncle is abusive and she lives in a squat. The poor people were told to destroy their homes, and their homes were demolished, and now they live in waste land. The other is a boy who can't go to school because he does not have $2 to pay for his fees, and he is the same as 90% of the other children. They are left to scavenge rubbish dumps, and pan for gold which is illegal. The police are in disguise and often beat children, or use them for child labour with the promise of a meal. The woman who made the documentary did it in secret and can undoubtedly no longer visit that country.

It made me think that even though I know that people in the world live like this, I really don't do enough for charity. I can sometimes fool myself into thinking, that making a donation every time there is a crisis, or making the odd one off donation to charity, or that a few years ago i was a volunteer for oxfam, is good enough.

So I am wondering, do other people here give to charity, and which is the best charity to donate to regularly which ensures the money goes directly to the people who need it?

TombOfRaiders
07-09-10, 12:43
I watched this program recently, Zimbabwe's Forgotten Children (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00r5ww9).

The film tells the story of an twelve year old girl, her mother died of aids, her sixteen year old sister lives on the streets, she has a baby sister to look after, her uncle is abusive and she lives in a squat. The poor people were told to destroy their homes, and their homes were demolished, and now they live in waste land. The other is a boy who can't go to school because he does not have $2 to pay for his fees, and he is the same as 90% of the other children. They are left to scavenge rubbish dumps, and pan for gold which is illegal. The police are in disguise and often beat children, or use them for child labour with the promise of a meal. The woman who made the documentary did it in secret and can undoubtedly no longer visit that country.

It made me think that even though I know that people in the world live like this, I really don't do enough for charity. I can sometimes fool myself into thinking, that making a donation every time there is a crisis, or making the odd one off donation to charity, or that a few years ago i was a volunteer for oxfam, is good enough.

So I am wondering, do other people here give to charity, and which is the best charity to donate to regularly which ensures the money goes directly to the people who need it?

I donate £100s to charity each week. I usually donate to Demelza's House.

Squibbly
07-09-10, 12:48
Yes, I do. I donate to Amnesty International every month, which I think is a great one. Around Christmas time I donate to others, like local food shelters, a children's hospital, and SPCA.

touchthesky
07-09-10, 12:50
I give a monthly donation to the SPCA. :)

robbie_rawr
07-09-10, 13:09
Sadly i dont have enough money too :(
i bought a pudsy bear once. :P

Ill give more when im older. :D

Mad Tony
07-09-10, 13:16
I don't give to charity, but if I have enough money I'd give to the Royal British Legion.

My parents give to charity though.

Nenya awakens
07-09-10, 13:19
I donate to cancer research when I can.

scoopy_loopy
07-09-10, 13:19
"As a family" we (aka; my Mum) support Médecins Sans Frontières. We also used to have one of those World Vision children you support with a dollar a day (although we gave more than that.) Although he grew up and in his last letter to us he said he was joining the militia to fight the greedy [expletive] 'whites'. :eek:

TRhalloween
07-09-10, 13:21
When I make enough money I will.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-09-10, 13:22
"As a family" we (aka; my Mum) support Médecins Sans Frontières. We also used to have one of those World Vision children you support with a dollar a day (although we gave more than that.) Although he grew up and in his last letter to us he said he was joining the militia to fight the greedy [expletive] 'whites'. :eek:

oh gawsh! that must have been a shock!

scoopy_loopy
07-09-10, 13:37
oh gawsh! that must have been a shock!

Mum didn't let us read that particular letter :p She only told me about it recently, years after our sponsorship of him ended. :vlol:

Oh well, fingers crossed he isn't dead or on a road with a machine gun.

xXhayleyroxXx
07-09-10, 13:39
Mum didn't let us read that particular letter :p She only told me about it recently, years after our sponsorship of him ended. :vlol:

Oh well, fingers crossed he isn't dead or on a road with a machine gun.

Im not surprised she didn't tell you! And yeah :( :hug: xxxx

Andyroo
07-09-10, 14:16
When I was about 10 years old me and my friends did that whole 'lemonade stand' thing and made some money (not much of course), but then one of the kids involved left the money in his room and his ***** of a mother gave it to the Salvation Army. Does that count? :o

When I was working and had money, I did donate twice to a charity called 'Swags For Homeless' that make and give easily-portable swags to homeless Australians for shelter. That's really the only charity I trust to be doing what it's supposed to be doing.

trXD
07-09-10, 14:20
I don't donate technically, but I volunteer for charity :)

tombraiderluka
07-09-10, 17:29
Donated to church once or twice. That's it.

:}hello friend
07-09-10, 17:34
Donated to Haiti. Once I get older, and have enough money left over, I'll start donating.

tomobond875
07-09-10, 17:39
No :wve:

MiCkiZ88
07-09-10, 17:42
Used to donate to doctors without borders, but cancelled it since our financial situation got worse. Will donate to something else when I get some income :)

Dark Lugia 2
07-09-10, 17:45
Family (me included) frequently donate to charties, at the momment we're focused on aid in Pakistan.

Other than that, I volunteer every Saturday in a charity shop. :p

EgyptianSoul
07-09-10, 18:15
If I had enough income to donate I would do it.

And I would make sure my money really goes to help those in need of it, not getting lost into the pockets of greedy people who do not deserve it.

I'm not contributing to any charity work either at the moment.

TRfan23
07-09-10, 18:33
As a family - Yes.
Me personally - No.

My mum said that if she won the lottery she'd create her own private charity to aid the poor, since she said there can be some slight issues with public charities :o
Like in reality you don't know where some of the money really goes, as someone may have tampered with it etc... Which I can understand ;)

Mona Sax
07-09-10, 18:48
Yes, I'm a member of Greenpeace. I also donate to other animal and environment focused charities whenever I can.

larson n natla
07-09-10, 19:05
I could be very moral and virtuous and say I donate often, but I don't.

I'm 15 so it's not very practical and I don't have the funds to do so plus although it isn't nice I would rather spend my money on something to keep me occupied or a present for friend/family because in all honesty I doubt every single pound I send will reach it's intended reciever.

I do however give to charity in school usually every year we have a competition to see which form class can raise the most money for charity. The usual charity is Zoe's Place. I usually give £10 to that and then say a pound every other day. Not much but hey at least I know that is helping people and not 'providing for a person for £2 a week' seriously doubt your doing much with £2 a week.

NemesisX13X
07-09-10, 19:05
I just put money in those small charity boxes they have at stores whenever I have cash with me. :)

Avalon SARL
07-09-10, 19:16
Yes I do
I know this orphan whom I give money and some needs every month :)

Tombraiderx08
07-09-10, 20:15
every now and then to different charities

robm_2007
07-09-10, 20:52
I steal from the poor and give to the rich.

Punaxe
07-09-10, 20:55
No, not yet. When I have a steady income I intend to make a careful deliberation regarding which charities to give to and will probably end up subscribing to a few to do with nature and culture preservation. I do know Greenpeace will not be on that list, though. Sorry Mona. :p

Alpharaider47
07-09-10, 20:59
I steal from the poor and give to the rich.

An American Robin Hood huh? :mis:

I don't really donate to charity much :o Used to donate a few cents regularly to this animal fund run by a convenience store I frequented in California and I've put a few dollars towards other things.

robm_2007
07-09-10, 21:17
An American Robin Hood huh? :mis:

I don't really donate to charity much :o Used to donate a few cents regularly to this animal fund run by a convenience store I frequented in California and I've put a few dollars towards other things.

that's more than i do :whi:
---------------
one time i was at Walgreen's with my uncle (it was around Christmas time), and the cashier asked him if he would like to donate one dollar to a charity that was going towards some sort of relief fund. anyways, he says "No". OMG, that was ridiculous. so i said, "REALLY? This is one of those situations, where you would have to donate, considering you have more than enough money on you. Even Osama bin Laden would have given one dollar."

he still left the store without donating any money, i had no money, or i would have given them 2 dollars, one from me, adn one to make up for the dollar he didnt give. it was quite the Scrooge moment he displayed. he then said that i embarassed him in the store. :vlol:

Alpharaider47
07-09-10, 21:34
that's more than i do :whi:
---------------
one time i was at Walgreen's with my uncle (it was around Christmas time), and the cashier asked him if he would like to donate one dollar to a charity that was going towards some sort of relief fund. anyways, he says "No". OMG, that was ridiculous. so i said, "REALLY? This is one of those situations, where you would have to donate, considering you have more than enough money on you. Even Osama bin Laden would have given one dollar."

he still left the store without donating any money, i had no money, or i would have given them 2 dollars, one from me, adn one to make up for the dollar he didnt give. it was quite the Scrooge moment he displayed. he then said that i embarassed him in the store. :vlol:

Ah see whenever they did little charity things like that at grocery stores we'd always donate like 5 bucks or so.

Rai
07-09-10, 21:41
I put money in boxes on store counters, buy the odd badge or whatever and have been a volunteer for charity shops. When I was working I paid a regular direct debit to my chosen charity. I may do that again when I'm in paid work.

CiaKonwerski
07-09-10, 21:44
If I had a lot of money, I would certainly give to charity.