PDA

View Full Version : Wolf Killings Set to Expand in United States

Alpharaider47
05-09-10, 19:59
Excerpt from the article-
BILLINGS, Mont. Government agencies are seeking broad new authority to ramp up killings and removals of gray wolves in the Northern Rockies and Great Lakes, despite two recent court actions that restored the animal's endangered status in every state except Alaska and Minnesota.

Various proposals would gas pups in their dens, surgically sterilize adult wolves and allow "conservation" or "research" hunts to drive down the predators' numbers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39017137/ns/us_news-environment

I can understand if they're really becoming a problem, but from what I gathered from the article, this seems to be more in response to livestock killings than anything. Just seems that we're going to hunt them to extinction to appease hunters and farmers :o Wolves are among my favourite animals so this stuff hits closer to home than say another animal =/

What are your thoughts?

Catapharact
05-09-10, 20:06
Not going to help... Unless they plan on killing packs after packs of wolves to keep them from attacking the fenced areas. A more effective solution would to be use ultra-sonic fencing. The high pitched noise usually keeps preds. aways from the fenced areas and ends up creating a precedence for other packs to not follow suit.

However its a costly solution. And I doubt the tax-payers would wanna cough up the money for it.

Alpharaider47
05-09-10, 20:11
Not going to help... Unless they plan on killing packs after packs of wolves to keep them from attacking the fenced areas. A more effective solution would to be use ultra-sonic fencing. The high pitched noise usually keeps preds. aways from the fenced areas and ends up creating a precedence for other packs to not follow suit.

However its a costly solution. And I doubt the tax-payers would wanna cough up the money for it.
Probably not, but we never seem to value our resources(natural or otherwise) until it's too late. I'd support something like a Wolf hunting season, which I think they recently tried, as well as better protection for the livestock. But the wolves are just doing what they're born to do are they not? It doesn't seem fair to destroy their population for that.

touchthesky
05-09-10, 20:20
It's okay, lots of people will save them.

Jacob Black can't be killed.

Mona Sax
05-09-10, 20:21
The only species that needs to be decimated is hunters, nature will take care of the rest.

And before somebody screams bloody murder, no, I don't mean 'decimate' in its original, literal sense. ;)

Rai
05-09-10, 20:28
When are humans going to learn to share? And when are they going to learn wild animals will be wild animals. I know this comes across as naive, but if humans are going to have farms etc in close proximity to nature, then we have to do what we can to prevent the wild animals getting in - that doesn't resort to hunting down and killing. Surgically sterilising adults is fine, but gassing pups in their den? How is that helping anything? Now I realise that farm animals are peoples' livelihood and if wolves are harming that in some way, then something has to be done, but this article suggest to me that part of the hunting of wolves is just for the hell of it.

I agree with Mona.

Alpharaider47
05-09-10, 20:38
When are humans going to learn to share? And when are they going to learn wild animals will be wild animals. I know this comes across as naive, but if humans are going to have farms etc in close proximity to nature, then we have to do what we can to prevent the wild animals getting in - that doesn't resort to hunting down and killing. Surgically sterilising adults is fine, but gassing pups in their den? How is that helping anything? Now I realise that farm animals are peoples' livelihood and if wolves are harming that in some way, then something has to be done, but this article suggest to me that part of the hunting of wolves is just for the hell of it.

I agree with Mona.

That's what I got out of it as well, I mean you'd think the US would've learned the first time but apparently not :(

Catapharact
05-09-10, 20:39
It's okay, lots of people will save them.

Jacob Black can't be killed.

*Takes out his cheytac intervention.*

That's what he thinks. Actually I would be doing the world (both the human and the animal world) a favour by skinning that one up.

Plus I will make a forture by selling his pelt on E-bay ;).

Chocola teapot
05-09-10, 20:40
How Upsetting.

Wolves are marvelous.

Draco
05-09-10, 20:40
If you leave food out for a cat, it comes back for more. If you feed a dog, it is yours forever.

If you run from a bear, it will catch you and bash your stupid ass upside the head.

The wolves are doing what they were intended to do, keep the herbivores in check.

xXhayleyroxXx
05-09-10, 20:45
Urgh thats disgusting :/ I agree with most of the posts in here, so I feel no need to justify my opinion. Wolves are such noble and beautiful creatures, it is a shame people resort to this.

Cynic
05-09-10, 20:49
I agree with people about wolves, so:

Why the sensless killing? It could be all solved with 2-3m high stone walls around the farms.

xXhayleyroxXx
05-09-10, 20:54
I agree with people about wolves, so:

Why the sensless killing? It could be all solved with 2-3m high stone walls around the farms.

Indeed. But society has become lazy. There was once a time when humans were sensible... I wish it were still so.

Catapharact
05-09-10, 20:57
Probably not, but we never seem to value our resources(natural or otherwise) until it's too late. I'd support something like a Wolf hunting season, which I think they recently tried, as well as better protection for the livestock. But the wolves are just doing what they're born to do are they not? It doesn't seem fair to destroy their population for that.

Well think this through a farmer's POV. Wolf attacks do not only decimate live stock physically but psycologically as well. Hens for instance will refuse to lay their eggs in places that they deem unsafe so you can sure bet that after a wolf attack, egg production could be effected.

Am I arguing against the right of farmers to shoot and kill wolves who wander on their grounds and attack live stock? No. I am just questioning the effectiveness of the strategy involved. Farms are basically tent pickout point for wolf packs who certiainly will attack the place again and again. So killing a few wolves will not solve the problem of wolf attacks in the long run.

But I sure as heck won't take away a farmer's right to defend his/her live stock.

Draco
05-09-10, 21:01
Killing the wolves is just the easy and fun way to solve the problem.

xXhayleyroxXx
05-09-10, 21:02
Killing the wolves is just the easy and fun way to solve the problem.

people think gassing wolves is fun? Geez...

Alpharaider47
05-09-10, 21:03
Well think this through a farmer's POV. Wolf attacks do not only decimate live stock physically but psycologically as well. Hens for instance will refuse to lay their eggs in places that they deem unsafe so you can sure bet that after a wolf attack, egg production could be effected.

Am I arguing against the right of farmers to shoot and kill wolves who wander on their grounds and attack live stock? No. I am just questioning the effectiveness of the strategy involved. Farms are basically tent pickout point for wolf packs who certiainly will attack the place again and again. So killing a few wolves will not solve the problem of wolf attacks in the long run.

But I sure as heck won't take away a farmer's right to defend his/her live stock.

I completely understand that, and yeah the farmer's should have that right and such. I just feel that going out and proactively exterminating the wolves is not the way to go about things.

xXhayleyroxXx
05-09-10, 21:07
I completely understand that, and yeah the farmer's should have that right and such. I just feel that going out and proactively exterminating the wolves is not the way to go about things.

Exactly. I mean shooting them is not leaving the wolves unchecked and its far more humane than completely eradicating them. I suppose its like fox hunting... and that got banned.

Alpharaider47
05-09-10, 21:11
Exactly. I mean shooting them is not leaving the wolves unchecked and its far more humane than completely eradicating them. I suppose its like fox hunting... and that got banned.

Like I said, I believe Idaho experimented with a Wolf hunting season last year which if I remember right was fairly effective.

IceColdLaraCroft
06-09-10, 03:08
The more effective solution would be not to have cattle in areas where there are gray wolves. Cattle are a waste of space. The farmers are subsidized far too much by the government, red meat is unhealthy, they require too much land and cause more greenhouse gases than cars.

if it weren't for McNation this wouldn't be an issue.

MattTR
06-09-10, 03:59
Can they like.. move them somewhere else? Wow.. :(

Seriously, it just goes to show you.. mankind is going to whipe everything out. Can't we leave nature alone? Oh wait, why did I even ask? :rolleyes:

scoopy_loopy
06-09-10, 04:07
Are they even this much of a problem? Seems extreme.

MattTR
06-09-10, 04:08
Are they even this much of a problem? Seems extreme.

I hear of more ladies putting cats into trashcans attacks than wolf attacks, to be honest. :whi:

scoopy_loopy
06-09-10, 04:10
The more effective solution would be not to have cattle in areas where there are gray wolves. Cattle are a waste of space. The farmers are subsidized far too much by the government, red meat is unhealthy, they require too much land and cause more greenhouse gases than cars.

if it weren't for McNation this wouldn't be an issue.

Yes, please do that America. Then import more beef from Australia. :mis:

I hear of more ladies putting cats into trashcans attacks then wolf attacks, to be honest. :whi:

:vlol:

MattTR
06-09-10, 04:12
:vlol:

Don't laugh! I had a typo.. :( I should have used than. Silly me. :smk:

Johnnay
06-09-10, 04:21
Leave those Huskies alone.. theyre cute Wolves:p

silver_wolf
06-09-10, 04:39
There's non-lethal ways to deter wolves, how about giving those a try?

wmcintosh
06-09-10, 10:18
If some people have their way, extinction. Having brought the number of wolves up again to help thin out wildlife such as deer, elk, moose.